Anything Positve to say about Massage Therapy???

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 496)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

MT n WA in Olympia, Washington

66 months ago

You probably heard it was such a fantastic career from either the bodywork forums or the schools, right? Neither one of those sources offers a balanced perspective. Bodywork forums enforce a groupthink environment where no one is allowed to post content that doesn't agree with the group, and schools want your money.

I like the fact that it's very flexible and can pay well per hour. But you have to work for yourself to enjoy either of those benefits.

Ehhh, it's OK. That's the best I can say.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (34) / No (23) Reply - Report abuse

MT n WA in Olympia, Washington

66 months ago

For my critics out there, I've always had a very positive outlook on life. I enjoyed a successful 12-year corporate career and knew massage would be even better for me. I chose massage because it offered flexibility and an opportunity to help others in their search for healing, not for the money. I attended a very good school and have a very busy massage practice.

It just isn't a good career option for everyone. If it's a good career for you, good. Stop trying to make yourself feel better by criticizing the rest of us.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (56) / No (19) Reply - Report abuse

Ash in Minot, North Dakota

66 months ago

I love being a licensed massage therapist. I love knowing that i am helping people, whether it be just to relax in general from their crazy life or due to a specific issue that they come in for. People who dont like the profession i guess are just in it for the money, and no matter how much they make doing it will never be happy with it then. It is a stressfull career for those that do it i know, people think that it is such an easy job but those are the people who i would like to see do back to back massages for an 8-10 hour day and see how easy it is. It is just like every other medical job, you have to have a passion for what you do and for helping people- people look at CNA's and wonder how they can wipe other peoples butts all day long and love their job- they just do cause it helps people, same with massage therapist. So if you dont like it, then quit and find something else, dont sit there and complain about it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (55) / No (26) Reply - Report abuse

Sharon Moak in Vancouver, Washington

66 months ago

I've been a LMP for 5 years now, specializing in deep tissue work for injuries. It's OK, but not a great choice for me. Many days I need to be on the table as a client, myself! Mirabella is correct - it's fine for additional part-time income. That's the best I can say about it, as well.

Looking back, I would have spent the extra time and money on PT or acupuncture school. I recommend PT or OT assistant for people who prefer to spend only 2 years in college.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

mel3aa in Chicago, Illinois

66 months ago

if everyone hates it so much maybe you should all find something else to do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (26) Reply - Report abuse

Mari in Portland, Oregon

66 months ago

That's very original and most of all helpful. Stop complaining. Nobody chains you to the table and forces you to massage. Find something else to do. You people obviously haven't tried to get something else in this economy or you wouldnt be such experts at it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (20) Reply - Report abuse

Sabeena in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

66 months ago

I loved school too. Now I have a lot of clients. That is my positive story.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Fteach2learn in Buffalo, New York

66 months ago

mel3aa in Chicago, Illinois said: I am very surprised to find so much negativity about Massage Therapy on this forum. I am 2 months into a clinical massage therapy program in Chicago and I am loving it. From what I have heard (up until i came across this forum) that there are so many job opportunities, it's such a rewarding career, massage therapists love their jobs, etc. Now I am hearing completely the opposite. Maybe these people don't have the right outlook on the profession, got into it for the wrong reasons in the first place, did not go to a good school??? Anyone who has some POSITIVE stories about the Massage field I would love to hear!! Thank you!

I am glad to hear something positive about message. I am a special education teacher looking to go into message therapy as a second career. I love the sciences and therapeutic work. I hope that it will be somewhat good pay.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Fteach2learn in Buffalo, New York

66 months ago

I'm glad that there is a positive comment about message therapy. I am a special education teacher looking to get into message as a second career. I only hope its worth the money put into it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Mari in Portland, Oregon

66 months ago

Fteach2learn in Buffalo, New York said: I'm glad that there is a positive comment about message therapy. I am a special education teacher looking to get into message as a second career. I only hope its worth the money put into it.

Did I miss something? I only see one positive story about massage. The rest are neutral or negative.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

I really don't love my massage job either. Since the OP asked for positive stories, I only told the positive parts. Which is school and the number of clients I have. I don't want to give anyone the impression I actually like it overall.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Terry Time in Trenton, Florida

66 months ago

Well stated liz. Massage is wonderful but too hard for fulltime. I do like physical work and massage is too hard for me. Its also hard on you emotionally because you have to listen to everyones problems. Too many people go to massage school because its quick and easy. Then most quit in a short time because its so hard and doesnt pay enough. Working for someone else is never fun but blowing out your wrists in 2 years isnt either. I do not recommend massage.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

mirabella in Newark, New Jersey

66 months ago

In response to youre frustration towards dealing with men who expect sexual favors as part of a massage,I can empathize with you. I have worked in spas that unfortunately attracted these low lifes,However I have also been fortunate to have worked in spas that dont have to deal with this nonsense at all! Location of business is crucial,as well as type of spa. I currently work at a medi spa and can honestly say havent had any happy ender what so ever.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Sharon Moak in Vancouver, Washington

66 months ago

You're dead on, mirabella! I had the same problem with my first job. Despite my age (yes, over 30) I was VERY naive about the whole "happy ending" thing. And I had absolutely no idea I had walked into a place that offered such services, despite its outward appearance!

Now I own a therapeutic business that works in conjunction with an acupuncture and chiropractic clinic. I've never had a problem here. There's just no question about what we offer.

Better situations do exist, Sum Bunny.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

okiegirl898

65 months ago

Hi my name is Sarah Wester,LMT. Im currently an intern from Heritage College in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. I wil be grauted this June, and I couldnt have pick a better field then massage therapy. Massage therapy not only hepls you relax and a spa anymore. Massage therapy has grown into hospitals, clincs, and doctors offices. Massage therapy is very much apart of the medical field. I think is so great that come this October the laws for massage therapy is going to get a whole lot sticter. Like you have to be licseced and ceritfied and all the "massage parlors" are getting shut dowm!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (20) Reply - Report abuse

Terry Time in Trenton, Florida

65 months ago

okiegirl898 said: Hi my name is Sarah Wester,LMT. Im currently an intern from Heritage College in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. I wil be grauted this June, and I couldnt have pick a better field then massage therapy.
I don't want to discourage you, Sarah, only point out some facts. You sound just like an advertisement for a massage school. It's great to be so enthusiastic, but it's just not a complete picture of reality. Massage is a tough job and generally doesn't pay well.

You haven't even graduated yet but already say you couldn't have picked a better field. Oklahoma is just starting to regulate massage. But most states have been it for years. Here in Florida very few of the 'massage parlors' get shut down. Those that do easily start up again. Forcing them underground only makes them stronger, like any other vice. I have names of two 'massage parlors' in my tiny town alone that have been open for at least 7 years, and the whole town knows it. I refer tourist clients that want that sexual services to either one.

Massage is not widely accepted in hospitals yet. Have you searched for hospital jobs yet? I have done extensive research into it. There's only one good publication for hospital massage programs, and most of the jobs are for nurses or physical therapists, not LMTs. You must pay to even get it (www.naturaltouchmarketing.com/BOOKS/BK_HBMN-Programs.php) LMTs are paid $15-$21 an hour in hospitals, just like ME. Most jobs are late shift.

Doctors still do not care or know much about massage, except a few orthopedists. Medicare does not cover massage. Other insurance companies are decreasing massage benefits and requiring prescriptions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

thebeautytherapists in Euless, Texas

65 months ago

mel3aa in Chicago, Illinois said: I am very surprised to find so much negativity about Massage Therapy on this forum. I am 2 months into a clinical massage therapy program in Chicago and I am loving it. From what I have heard (up until i came across this forum) that there are so many job opportunities, it's such a rewarding career, massage therapists love their jobs, etc. Now I am hearing completely the opposite. Maybe these people don't have the right outlook on the profession, got into it for the wrong reasons in the first place, did not go to a good school??? Anyone who has some POSITIVE stories about the Massage field I would love to hear!! Thank you!

Yes you are right about people getting into the massage therapist business for the wrong reasons. Massage therapy is like any other profession. After your formal education, you have to learn the technical and business aspect of the business. You also have to decide what section of the industry you are interested in. The massage therapy industry is very vase and deciding which path to take is very vital to you loving the business and being successfull. The beauty therapists consultants specialize in coaching potentianl canditates after the formal education on what direction to pursue, depending on their interests. This is a type of internship and we are there for you as you grow in the business. The team leader of thebeautytherapists.com has been in the industry for 30yrs. So if you are discouraged, shot us an e-mail on your concerns and we will debunk the myths for you.
Our website is www.thebeautytherapists.com, e-mail thebeautytherapists@gmaul.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Allie in Saint Louis, Missouri

65 months ago

I'm a nurse. I've been a nurse for a year and I hate it. I enjoy my patients, but I hate the management, the greed at which hospitals run, and doctors who do not listen to me or yell at me because they didn't listen to me in the first place. I want out and I was considering massage therapy. Like I would like to be a nurse part time and do massage therapy on my own time to make up the extra cash. I have read your major complaints and am wondering besides dirty men what you guys may hate about your field.

I clean up poop, pee, blood, have caught many people having sex in a hospital bed with their roommate on the other side of the room. I have had patients who will masterbate in front of me without shame. I have had confused patients hit me, choke me, or curse me out with abandon. I am responsible for people's lives and if I don't cover my ass with every kind of documentation it would be very easy for a doctor to blame a mistake he made on me (and they do that often). I have more patients that I can safely take care of because hospitals are constantly short staffed or they just don't care because profit is the bottom line. I walk, push, carry peopole 12 hours a day three days a week. You think working 3 days a week sounds wonderful...lets see how well you take a 12 hour shift running around like a chicken with it's head cut off only being able to sit for 15 minutes to shove some food down your throat at the midway point and possibly peeing 2 times during the entire shift. This is the reality of nursing. I get pait $21 an hour. I do not have a regular schedule and my job can chose at any moment to start something like rotating shifts where I have to work both day and night shifts. I've worked at two different hospitals and I have friends that work at many different hospitals. This is the standard for nursing and I am not exaggerating.

I went to nursing school because I wanted to help people heal and feel better. This is what I got. Is massage better than this?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (41) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

Allie in Saint Louis, Missouri said: I'm a nurse. I've been a nurse for a year and I hate it...I went to nursing school because I wanted to help people heal and feel better. This is what I got. Is massage better than this?
OMG, YES!!!

You could get into medical massage and make a killing. You would have the potential of earning the same PER HOUR or a LOT more. You might not make more overall, because the average LMT can only work 20-25 hours a week.

I've had patients masturbate in front of me, too. One grabbed my hand, put it on his penis, and wouldn't let me leave the room. Another grabbed my breasts. But I handled all of it quickly. If you work in a medical setting, that kind of thing happens very rarely.

But we NEVER deal with bodily fluids. And we can work for ourselves without medical supervision, which I think is the best deal of all. Doctors can be b@stards.

Even though I am not sure of the real therapeutic benefits of massage, I do know it helps people feel better by helping them relax and get in touch with their bodies. Which is good enough!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

okiegirl898

65 months ago

Excuse me you would to need to work under medical surper vision like any other healthcare worker. Ever heard of SOAP notes

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida

65 months ago

Sum Bunny in Orlando, Florida said: i got a $100 tip from an old guy yesterday. he said it was a down payment on a happy ending for his next apointment. is that a positive story?

Um, WOW, girl, something seems wrong here. You should not have taken the $100.00 tip. As a 50 year old woman, my first thought is (was a down payment on a happy ending for his next apointment) he is expecting a sexual happy ending). Sure hope I'm wrong.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida said: Um, WOW, girl, something seems wrong here. You should not have taken the $100.00 tip. As a 50 year old woman, my first thought is (was a down payment on a happy ending for his next apointment) he is expecting a sexual happy ending). Sure hope I'm wrong.

Nope - I guess not a happy ending.
When I was a court reporter in my early 20's, attorneys would "virtually undress me" during a deposition. I would get so embarassed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

okiegirl898 said: Excuse me you would to need to work under medical surper vision like any other healthcare worker. Ever heard of SOAP notes

SOAP notes are not "medical surper vision". SOAP notes are documentation. Medical SUPERVISION means oversight by a professional with more education than you, such as an medical doctor.

Not the sharpest knife in the drawer, are you?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

okiegirl898

65 months ago

Excuse me ever heard of OSHA OR HIPPA !!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

okiegirl898 said: Excuse me ever heard of OSHA OR HIPPA !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sigh...You're perfect for a massage career!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

Okie, just what does OSHA or HIPPA have to do with massage therapy?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

okiegirl898

65 months ago

If you dont know the answer to that then you went to the wrong school osha is the regulations of keeping ever santize and wearing scrubs and hippa is the client confidially act!!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

That's exactly what I am saying. OSHA and HIPPA have absolutely NOTHING to do with massage therapy. OSHA is a government agency, set up back in the 60's. They regulate work sites and they investigate work accidents when they feel it necessary. HIPPA really has nothing to do with massage therapy either.

Most massage therapists work for a company, either a chiropractor, doctor's office, hospital, clinic. THEY deal with OSHA and HIPPA -surely not the massage therapist.

It is very rare for a massage therapist to directly have anything to do with OSHA or HIPPA. However, a therapist is expected to follow industry regulations.

I really don't understand why you brought up OSHA or HIPPA. My sister is an RN, so I get a lot of information from her. I have been a legal assistant for twenty years. So I have fairly good knowledge.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

dant in East Brunswick, New Jersey

64 months ago

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida said: Nope - I guess not a happy ending.
When I was a court reporter in my early 20's, attorneys would "virtually undress me" during a deposition. I would get so embarassed.

Mary,

I'm a 47 year-old male, unemployed. I've been doing some research on court reporting as a new career. Any insights you would be so kind to lend, as regards necessary training, work conditions, etc. would greatly be appreciated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Amanda in Kitchener, Ontario

64 months ago

Sorry to burst your bubble, but I too, loved my profession when I graduated 14 years ago. I had a successful business with a lot of Doctor and client referrals. It is an extremely draining profession mentally, emotionally and physically. No paid sick days or holidays, demanding clients, ones who "forget their cheque book" or cash to pay. Do something else, anything else, physiotherapy, nursing, these positions can get you could jobs in hospitals that have reliable/stable income. Get a job where you actually have a pay cheque to look forward to each week.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

thebodyworker in Redmond, Washington

64 months ago

I think you get mostly negativity here because successful massage therapists won't be complaining about it. You can be successful in massage if you learn how to take care of yourself first. There are massage therapists who have great high paying ($45 an hour) jobs but you usually have to start somewhere and that is at a franchise that pays only $15. Most massage therapists still have their own businesses where you can make more and also usually be happier from what I hear from people who have jobs.

If you know what you are doing and work to prove to potential employers that you will be able to improve their business and make your value known you will have a much better chance of finding or creating your ideal job.

Julie
www.thebodyworker.com
www.massage-career-guides.com
www.massagepracticebuilder.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

mirabella in Jersey City, New Jersey

64 months ago

Amanda in Kitchener, Ontario said: Sorry to burst your bubble, but I too, loved my profession when I graduated 14 years ago. I had a successful business with a lot of Doctor and client referrals. It is an extremely draining profession mentally, emotionally and physically. No paid sick days or holidays, demanding clients, ones who "forget their cheque book" or cash to pay. Do something else, anything else, physiotherapy, nursing, these positions can get you could jobs in hospitals that have reliable/stable income. Get a job where you actually have a pay cheque to look forward to each week.

Thank you so much for posting and sharing this! You have stated the honest truth about this field. I have been in this field since 2001, regret myself not having back to school to bave studied anythina in the medical field. Im a single mom,and in a year or two might be faced with no insurance.I presently DONT know of a single massage therapist who works anywhere with insurance,sickdays,personal days,etc. Im personally seeking a new career,and fast,in the verge of bankrupsy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Meagan in Seattle, Washington

63 months ago

I have a ridiculous amount of freedom, and make great money. I have been a Licensed Massage Therapist for fourteen years. This profession can be draining if you take advice from those who dislike it or are burned out. There are countless avenues to make great money at this. I make enough that i can cover my own health insurance needs and vacation much more than the average person. It's possible for any MT who has drive, is willing to think outside of the box, and take action despite fears that come up along the way.

The best part about my career is the people i work with. If you maintain the highest standards and continuously evolve yourself as a person and professional you will be surrounded with like-minded clients. It's very fun and rewarding.

www.hundredthousanddollarmassage.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Cav in Addison Township, Michigan

63 months ago

Meagan,

I'm glad that the last comment I read was yours. I am looking into getting into this field as a career change. I'm 33 with 2 kids and my current job requires so much travel that I've seen my kids 5 times since January. I am passionate about nutrition, exercise, and overall wellbeing and I feel like massage therapy is a field that would encourage this passion that I have. I'm SO excited about it but reading a lot of these comments brought me down a bit. I'm glad to see your comment is positive.

I've always been an independent contractor so not having benefits really doesn't bother me.

I found a school that follows the pre-requisites for the national certification exam. It is an accelerated 16 week program. It is 3 nights a week, 5 1/2 hours each night. The cost is almost $10,000. Does this sound average to you guys?

Thanks!!

- Cav

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Massag Maiden in Jacksonville, Florida

63 months ago

$10K sounds way too much for the 500 hours the NCBTMB requires. I paid only 4K. Most schools are not very good and you really start learning as you work and take continuing ed classes.

I understand Michigan doesn't require a state license to massage, but some city health departments do. If my city health department didn't require a license, I would take a brief introductory class first, maybe learn a nice relaxing Swedish massage routine and see how I liked it first.

Meagan's story is very positive, but massage is still a high burnout job. I recommend testing the waters before dedicating so much money into it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

Thanks for your comments. I started looking in the want ads to see what the market is like for massage therapy and was surprised to see quite a few listings in my area. But even though Michigan doesn't require a license every job states that they do (a certification I guess is a better word?) Anyway, when you say you spent only $4,000, did that prep you for the test? How long was that program?

Thanks!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

That's about all the program did was prep me for the test. I passed with 'High' in every category. It was the easiest test I've ever taken, so easy I consider it an insult. Anyone can purchase the books themselves, study and pass it without school

Looking back I realize I wasn't even taught how to do a good basic Swedish massage. I learned that on my own after. It was 5 days a week, 8 hours a day and lasted 8 months.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

mel3aa in Chicago, Illinois

63 months ago

$4000 sounds pretty cheap for a massage program. my program is 750 clock hours, 14 months long (satruday all day and monday nights and the cost of the program is almost $12,000. though the school i am attending also meets financial aid requirements.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

My school was 500 hours and did not meet financial aid requirements so that's why it was much cheaper. I'm glad I didn't spend any more than that. I know folks who spent the big bucks and didn't get any more than me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

searching4more in Bell, California

63 months ago

10,000 is way too much. I took a fantastic 750-hour, 8-month program for 6,000 just 3 years ago. I agree, you don't start learning until you work and take continuing ed classes.

The NCBTMB is truly a joke. I know every test is different, but my exam had only two questions about muscles. Most of the questions were on meridians. Yes, that is correct. Two very rudimentary muscle questions, about 15 on meridians. The rest of the test was: Here is an emergency scenario, what do you do FIRST? Of course the answer is always 'Dial 911'.

The so-called ethics CEU is a joke as well. Here's what you'll learn: Maintain proper boundaries and don't have sex with your clients. Yes, that is correct. Don't have sex with your clients.

In my opinion the NCB and its requirements are a ridiculous waste of time. If you can avoid it, do. Just read a basic massage text, take some continuing ed classes, apply your new techniques on an experienced massage practitioner and go out on your own. It's better to work for yourself than someone else, anyway.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bridget in Hilo, Hawaii

63 months ago

I guess just like any career or profession, it depends on many variables; such as: the individual, what stage of their career they are in (beginning, middle or end), what their work conditions have been, do they feel valued and respected from both their clients and their places of employment, do they enjoy the different aspects of massage, etc... All of these factors have varied throughout my 14 year career. But I do consider myself fortunate that I have always enjoyed and been fascinated by the body, whether artistically, athletically, emotionally, psychologically or scientifically. Since becoming a massage therapist, I can now add energetically or spiritually. I have worked as both an independent contractor and as an employee. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. However, I have seen a growing trend in the last 8 years and it seems to be gaining momentum - profit. Corporations are coming in and seeing the money being generated, and each year they want a bigger piece of the pie. Considering they can only increase the fee charged by small increments, they also chip away at the commission/ hourly paid to the therapists.

Just like everyone else mentioned, I could share many stories of my encounters with both clients and management. Overall, I have chosen to remain in this profession (for the time being) because I absolutely love meeting people, helping them feel better, helping them learn to help themselves, continually learning about the body, you are your own "boss" (for lack of better words) when you are in the room giving a treatment, and hopefully the majority of your co-workers are wanting to give their best as well.

There are probably 2 main areas that contribute to me thinking about a new career. One, I have not kept up with proper body mechanics and my body is beginning to break down. Two, when clients have health conditions that could potentially affect my health and well being, and they either don't know it or don't reveal it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No Reply - Report abuse

George B. in Warren, Michigan

63 months ago

Cav in Addison Township, Michigan said: Meagan,

I'm glad that the last comment I read was yours. I am looking into getting into this field as a career change. I'm 33 with 2 kids and my current job requires so much travel that I've seen my kids 5 times since January. I am passionate about nutrition, exercise, and overall wellbeing and I feel like massage therapy is a field that would encourage this passion that I have. I'm SO excited about it but reading a lot of these comments brought me down a bit. I'm glad to see your comment is positive.

I've always been an independent contractor so not having benefits really doesn't bother me.

I found a school that follows the pre-requisites for the national certification exam. It is an accelerated 16 week program. It is 3 nights a week, 5 1/2 hours each night. The cost is almost $10,000. Does this sound average to you guys?

Thanks!!

- Cav

I graduated from a massage school in Southfield, Michigan in 2007, and the tuition was $7200. It was a 600+ hour program, but not a 16 week program (it took a year).
Michigan did just pass a licensing, but it isn't in effect yet, so be careful. I have national certification also, and frankly it hasn't done a thing for me (most clients have no idea what that's supposed to mean anyways). I don' regret getting certified though.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

Cav in Addison Township, Michigan said: Thanks for your comments. I started looking in the want ads to see what the market is like for massage therapy and was surprised to see quite a few listings in my area. But even though Michigan doesn't require a license every job states that they do (a certification I guess is a better word?) Anyway, when you say you spent only $4,000, did that prep you for the test? How long was that program?

Thanks!!

I really wish you luck in this area. I graduated in 2007 and live in Warren, Michigan. As a result of the poor economy in Metro Detroit, many people are cutting back on everything. I would seriously keep an open mind about relocating after school.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

Thanks, George!

In what sort of business are you working now? (spa, chiropractor, etc.?) Is it what you had hoped? Relocating isn't an option for me since my family is all here.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

Cav in Addison Township, Michigan said: Thanks, George!

In what sort of business are you working now? (spa, chiropractor, etc.?) Is it what you had hoped? Relocating isn't an option for me since my family is all here.

No problem. I've found it best to work for myself, doing outcall massage in Oakland and Macomb counties. I've had to reduce my rates because of the local economy, but even that hasn't helped much in this area. I sometimes think that it might be nice to work for someone else, until I see how little they're willing to pay for your work (it's hard to justify what they pay after the expenses of school, certification, licensing, equipment, and insurance).

I like massage, but just feel that its a bad time because of the economy. I got into it because I wanted to help others (I've been dealing with Lyme Disease since 1998 and massage helped with the pain), not to get rich. If it's your sole source of income, reality kicks in and it isn't a steady source of income. Many clients look at it as an extra they can live without, and frankly paying the mortgage comes first. I've stayed in the area for the same reasons, my family is all here and I want to be able to help my parents.

I don't mean to dampen your thoughts of massage, but to give it a bit more thought.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Patagonia in Portland, Oregon

63 months ago

mel3aa in Chicago, Illinois said: I am 2 months into a clinical massage therapy program in Chicago and I am loving it.

Wait until you've worked in it 2 years. Then come back and tell us how you're doing.

mel3aa in Chicago, Illinois said: Anyone has some POSITIVE stories about the Massage field?

Nope.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

none ofyourbiz in Manchester, New Hampshire

62 months ago

okiegirl898 said: Excuse me you would to need to work under medical surper vision like any other healthcare worker. Ever heard of SOAP notes

Excuse ME but you need to learn how to spell! Also, SOAP notes are NOT a form of medical supervision!!! SOAP is an acronym for SUBJECTIVE, OBJECTIVE, ASSESMENT, PLAN. Know what you're talking about!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

none ofyourbiz in Manchester, New Hampshire

62 months ago

I invested a lot of time and money to go to school for MT, then more of an investment to get my practive going. It costs a lot of money for rent, marketing etc. To me, working for a spa is like being turned into a machine...they abuse you! Working out of your home to save money just makes you look cheap and somewhat tacky. There are a lot of hookers out there offering "massage services" so us legit therapists have to deal with the perverts trying to get "extra services!" It is quite difficult to support yourself doing this because it is more likely that you will have a client load to keep you busy on only a part-time basis. Those are the facts. It's hard on your body and it lacks respect...even with AMTA and other professional organizations that take your money and promise to make you get more respect from people. It's a joke! THe cost of licensing, and continuing education...it's ridiculous and you will indeed go broke before you ever get rich doing this!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

yeah me again in Los Angeles, California

62 months ago

thebodyworker in Redmond, Washington said: I think you get mostly negativity here because successful massage therapists won't be complaining about it. You can be successful in massage if you learn how to take care of yourself first. There are massage therapists who have great high paying ($45 an hour) jobs but you usually have to start somewhere and that is at a franchise that pays only $15. Most massage therapists still have their own businesses where you can make more and also usually be happier from what I hear from people who have jobs.

If you know what you are doing and work to prove to potential employers that you will be able to improve their business and make your value known you will have a much better chance of finding or creating your ideal job.

Julie ....

Julie likes to extol the virtues of the profession but it seems the way SHE makes money is marketing ideas for other therapists, not actually hands-on work herself. I tried on another forum once to seek advice some years ago and she labeled me as negative and needed to change my attitude.

There's a recession. Don't let anyone pull the wool over your eyes. People aren't getting massage as they used to. I DID have a successful business for a number of years. So-called vocational schools, w/heavy funding from the fed. govt., have been subsidizing the outrageous tuitions at massage schools;these newer grads have a very hard time getting jobs. I feel for them. I worked myself ragged to get a decent client base - and loved it. The POSITIVE thing is I've truly helped people. The truth is no one who wants to make a TRUE LIVING, single or with a family (and no matter what "marketing techniques" they know), is now able to do so as in the past. California is SATURATED with unemployed therapists. For all the reasons mentioned and more, I can't wait to find a new job and no longer be broke. I also was excited and enthused to be a therapist years ago.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

thebodyworker in Seattle, Washington

62 months ago

I don't label anyone as negative. You somehow thought that on your own. I do have a practice that I work in for 2 days a week and see 12 clients a week currently. I have to turn clients over to a person I share the office with. That is about all my body can take after 20 years of doing the work. I make the rest of my income from writing online and teaching massage therapists how to stop complaining about the economy and start taking personal responsibility for their own economy. Yes the current national economy is down but that does not mean that yours has to be. It is just your belief that it does.

It takes being creative and outgoing and persistent to overcome the challenges of the economy. It is hard to do when you are down but it can be better if you want. I am not saying it is easy or fun to go through. It is hard work to learn to uncover your unconscious beliefs that hold you back. It isn't for everyone.

Julie

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.