Endless search for a Licensed Massage Therapist Job!

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (28)

rickbond06@yahoo.com in Phoenix, Arizona

65 months ago

MT n WA in Olympia, Washington said: Let this be a lesson for other men. Do not waste your time or money on massage school! Think about it. Do YOU want a man to massage you? Well neither does anyone else. Employers know this fact as well.

If you want to open your own business you'll be fine. But don't expect anyone to hire you. I know. I own my own salon!

Some of my best massages have been from men that does not mean that they are any less qualified. I guess I am not close minded when it comes right down to it. I have received a lot of massages over the years and I had some hot cuties give me a massage and it just sucked!!! It is all about technique and having a good personality. So weather you own your own spa or not it should not matter what gender you are if someone is unprofessional they should be reported, that does not mean male LMT'S should pay for that old reputation of male therapist.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

tessie.briones@yahoo.com in Riverside, California

65 months ago

I am a female massage therapist and I have to say I feel for you. I think it's unfair that male therapists have such a hard time finding jobs. But, I will tell you: Don't give up! I've worked a few jobs where men are hired. Once you develop a good reputation, you will be successful. Hang in there buddy. From Teresa

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

I'm sorry, but I disagree. I think it sucks that you are that NARROW MINDED. I'm sure you have a hard time turning your head from side to side because you are so narrow. And how dare you discourage someone in the field that you in as well. Obviously you are in it for the wrong reasons!!!!!!!!! Unfondly, Teresa

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

I totally agree with you! I've had some of the best massages from men.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

MT n WA in Olympia, Washington

65 months ago

The people who are too blind or foolish to see reality are the really narrow minded ones. Of course men should enjoy equal opportunity in the massage world. Of course many men give great massages and many do enjoy successful massage careers.

My business partner is a man. I've seen him go through horrible things and would never recommend a man do this work. No one would send us clients at first because of his gender, and we still suffer after 2 years. He's been falsely accused of misconduct twice, once went so far as going to court. The accuser's testimony crumbled under examination.

So accuse and judge away. But that is reality.

thebodyworker in Redmond, Washington

65 months ago

It may be your reality but it doesn't have to be every males reality. I actually prefer getting massage by men and it is a great opportunity for men to start educating people and proving how much healing has to be done in our society to get over our male massage therapist fears.

As far as getting a job - create your own by figuring out where you want to work, what kind of work you want to do and proving it to whoever you need to that you can improve their business.

thebodyworker.com/massage_therapy_job_center.htm

Julie

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

Thank you all, I took a few days to refocus and decide what my future is going to be. I have figured it out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Teresa in Riverside, California

65 months ago

As a huge supporter of male therapists, I would love to know what you have decided your future will be. I hope you haven't been discouraged by any negative feedback you have received, but rather I hope you were encouraged by the positive feedback.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

Yes, I have been encouraged by the positive feedback, yesterday I went to another interview and I stop stressing weather or not I am right for the job or not and I have to tell you I had never laughed so much at an interview. It was like such a relief and I realized that if I didn't get the job that was ok. I have been taken steps to start my own Company. I really can't tell you how much better I feel today.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Teresa in Riverside, California

65 months ago

I'm happy to hear that you're not stressing so much about the job situation. Just have confidence in your abilities. I do know that for men it is harder, but not impossible. You just have to know that some people are not willing to have a male therapist. It's men like you who are giving the massage industries it's RIGHTFUL reputation, and not the opposite. So, keep your strength up, confidence high, and have patience. Gook luck!

kyle in Columbia, South Carolina

65 months ago

It is both sad and encouraging at the same time to see that other male LMT's struggle with the stigma of a male massage therapist. I was beginning to think that it was just a "Southern" thing! I love what I do and I am dedicated to my career... I have simply had to work part-time at 3 different places in order to get in a full week of sessions from spa to Chiropractic Clinic. Women are selected more often than the male therapists, but people without pre-set twisted mentalities (both men and women clients) do come to realize that I am a professional and provide an excellent massage that has most snoring through the entire session! I am not giving up!

Manny M in Denver, Colorado

65 months ago

I appreciate the negative feedback very much. I considered massage 7 years ago when many of my male friends were going. None of them are still in it. They all say it's difficult enough for females and not worth the additional pain of being a male. I was thinking about it again but these forums reminded me of the difficulties I witnessed.

Please, do yourself a big favor and DOCUMENT! Especially events that seem strange to you, when you get that "gut feeling" that something is wrong. Documenting phone calls, treatment sessions and strange interactions probably saved a friend from criminal prosecution.

John Ell-Yell in Gainesville, Florida

65 months ago

Glad you found the truth before I did.

George B. in Warren, Michigan

64 months ago

I graduated from a massage school in Michigan and got my national certification thinking that would help me. That was in 2007, and I've been working for myself since. I've found that many places only offer part time positions at obscenely low pay. I've also found that many women, even within the industry, look down on masseurs. Just try to be the best you can, and eventually that will show through (if you don't go broke first).

shenoa in Los Angeles, California

63 months ago

It's absolutely ridiculous that male massage therapists can't make it in the spa industry! I'm a 10 year veteran of massage, have managed and consulted for high end spas and am an instructor of Business Skills and Massage Therapy jobs and can tell your from experience that there are PLENTY of highly successful men in spas - but there may be some issues with other aspects of your presentation that are keeping your from finding employment. Male therapists have to use additional caution with draping, communication, and attitude in order to succeed but once they make it they can be wildly successful in spas! Clients who are looking for deep pressure often request male therapists thinking that they will be stronger or more able to perform sports style massage, some people just prefer male therapists in general even for swedish massage. While it is true that females are more requested, if you have the right skill and professional attitude you can, in time, build a loyal clientele in any spa. I work in a very busy spa in LA and our top 2 therapists are men and they're booked constantly. Check in with your appearance, communication skills, update your resume, take a few business classes to learn better presentation skills and keep looking. Let employers know you are interested in building a clientele, learn the skills to do so and you will be in high demand! Good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Chris in Trelleborg, Sweden

63 months ago

I´m also a masseur and noticed some scepticism against male therapists, but it´s not impossible to make a living out of it.
I dont know much about the spa industry since i concentrate on treatments like backpain, sciatica problems and sportsmassage and in this field most people dont care about the therapists gender, I mean I dont care if my doctor is male or female (my dentist is female and so cute I dont care about the pain she inflicts, it doesent matter it´s just a bonus).

Maybe employers are scared of a sexual harassment suit if the customer missinterpret a butt massage or something, I dont know but I´ve heard you like to sue eachother over there...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

While it's true that some businesses are hesitant about hiring male therapists- this is very rare. If it does hold true, it is almost always due to a negative past experience with a male therapist but about 90% of the time it is purely based on economics. What I mean by this is that male therapists make up a smaller percentage of a spa's staff, out of 15 therapists maybe 3 or 4 will be male because most CLIENTS request a female therapist for their service. The business is just catering to the client's preference and although they try to steer them toward male therapists and ensure them of excellent service with either gender it is ultimately the client's choice. We still have a cultural bias toward a female preference in this field, a business in this tough economy would be crazy not to provide what the clients are asking for. Coincidentally, they are also rather foolish if they don't provide a male therapist for those client's who are open to either gender or even have a preference for males.
Therefore, they do hire men less frequently because spas usually have a certain percentage allowance for male & female therapists among their staff. It may seem discriminator, but I think it is simply trying to provide what their patrons want.

63 months ago

While it's true that some businesses are hesitant about hiring male therapists- this is very rare. If it does hold true, it is almost always due to a negative past experience with a male therapist but about 90% of the time it is purely based on economics. What I mean by this is that male therapists make up a smaller percentage of a spa's staff, out of 15 therapists maybe 3 or 4 will be male because most CLIENTS request a female therapist for their service. The business is just catering to the client's preference and although they try to steer them toward male therapists and ensure them of excellent service with either gender it is ultimately the client's choice. We still have a cultural bias toward a female preference in this field, a business in this tough economy would be crazy not to provide what the clients are asking for. Coincidentally, they are also rather foolish if they don't provide a male therapist for those client's who are open to either gender or even have a preference for males.
Therefore, they do hire men less frequently because spas usually have a certain percentage allowance for male & female therapists among their staff. It may seem discriminatory, but I think they are simply trying to provide what their patrons want.

Bridget in Hilo, Hawaii

63 months ago

shenoa in Los Angeles, California said: While it's true that some businesses are hesitant about hiring male therapists- this is very rare. If it does hold true, it is almost always due to a negative past experience with a male therapist but about 90% of the time it is purely based on economics. What I mean by this is that male therapists make up a smaller percentage of a spa's staff, out of 15 therapists maybe 3 or 4 will be male because most CLIENTS request a female therapist for their service. The business is just catering to the client's preference and although they try to steer them toward male therapists and ensure them of excellent service with either gender it is ultimately the client's choice. We still have a cultural bias toward a female preference in this field, a business in this tough economy would be crazy not to provide what the clients are asking for. Coincidentally, they are also rather foolish if they don't provide a male therapist for those client's who are open to either gender or even have a preference for males.
Therefore, they do hire men less frequently because spas usually have a certain percentage allowance for male & female therapists among their staff. It may seem discriminatory, but I think they are simply trying to provide what their patrons want.

Amen to everything Shenoa mentioned! I've been in the business for 14 years in a resort location. Initially there were hardly any male therapists, nor requests for male therapists. That trend has been changing with each passing year. Ten years ago with a staff of 40 therapists, I believe we only had 4 male therapists and they couldn't get much work. Even when the reservation agent would confirm the guests appointment with a male therapist, there were times the guest would show up and the male therapist would call on his client, and the client would refuse to receive the treatment by a man. Now we staff 2 male therapists out of 9 per shift, with 2 shifts per day.

concerned civilian in Huntersville, North Carolina

54 months ago

The way your receptionist communicates with clients can make or break you. I've had experienced receptionists in several places, who would explain to clients they have a gentleman available, for such and such time slot, and that he is very professional, with advanced training, knows what he is doing, and gets many requests and great reviews; would they like to give him a try... That was the time I didn't suffer because of gender bias, as I was fully booked most of the time. It was rare that someone would keep insisting to have a woman massage them, after they heard reassuring testimony like that. Managers and receptionists were my agents in true sense of word. It was successful business relationship. Then came a new manager who wouldn't take any suggestions, now simply asking clients if they have gender preference, and instructs the new reception staff to do the same. My business went down then and there. I believe some clients even think they have to request a female, after being asked like that, lest they be seen as immodest, or something... Of course, I would rather not work with clients who discriminate against me, but that is another topic. High quality of work I give, and referrals from steady clients save me from having to change career. Back to the point, if your manager and front desk staff take active interest and time to promote you (which they should, considering the mammoth share they take from your hard work), in addition to your impeccable professional service, you will succeed. If they simply recite the written mantra because it's easier, you will have to plan on marketing yourself to folks that don't care what's your gender. Cultural paradigms take long time to change. Many years ago there was a different kind of discrimination, and it didn't change by itself. I wouldn't brush away the possibility of legislative efforts, but that will have to come from huge civil movement, and lots of effort... I had a dream...

jake

53 months ago

rickbond06@yahoo.com in Phoenix, Arizona said: Where are the jobs??? I am a Male Licensed Massage Therapist, I have been looking for work since last June. I keep hearing the same thing we don't hire male therapist, noting is available, or I will be making a decision later this week. I call people back to let them know that I am still interested, e-mails, and walk-in to let them know I am still looking to work there. But what really gets me is when I apply at a place and go thew the hole process of an interview and the practical and I see the listing on line two weeks later.

I am a male therapist and make great money at massage envy. i stay fully booked year around because our manager has the front desk girls "push" males more because they are harder to book. like " at 3pm we have ashley and jacob. i would personally suggest jacob because he is great at deep tissue". this helps the men that work there but doesnt hurt the women's business cause there are only a handful of men working. people give massage envy a bad wrap but if ur clinic is busy its great. even if u just want experience to help u out later.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

DadMike in Baltimore, Maryland

53 months ago

Damn shame- Good massage is not about gender! I've had great massages from gay guy- and since it is professional massage, I don't care!! As an avid weightlifter I need a masseuse with strength- a well-trained female will do an excellent job for almost all my massage needs, but sometimes I need a dude with strength to really get in there and pound out those knots!! Best of luck to you all- I am now a member of Massage Envy, bashed as it is, and I can pick my therapist when I schedule, so I can pick whom I know will meet my needs for a particular session!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida

53 months ago

I consider getting a massage from a man a treat!!! Go get a nice lunch afterwards, then a few beers in my backyard - and I'm in Heaven for the day.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

malemt in Houston, Texas

51 months ago

Yes, I agree that Front Desk employees have a lot to do with it.
Spas cannot ask about gender preference!!!! They kindly must add at the end of the confirmation for an appointment that their therapist will be, for instance, Mary, Peter, Brian, Lucy...and so son...... thus the client will figure it out by themselves and make any corrections if necessary.
By judging the Western culture,patrons will, of course, choose males over females for this type of service, even if they haven't thought about it.....but if they were asked......
Also Male massage therapists must always enphasize their physical abilities for Sports/deep tissue and get away from the more relaxing types of massage.
Good Luck and I am sure you'll find your place.

Randall12 in Phoenix, Arizona

45 months ago

Ive been in business for a year and some change. Its hard as a male. Its a fight and a struggle to be a therapist, Im really starting to lose this battle.
Ive handed out many business cards, I have a website and the works. I have clients, but there not consistent wth their treatments and it sucks.
I know a lot of female therapist that aren't the greatest, they lack what it really takes to be a massage therapist. A lot go into massage for the money.
As a male I work my butt off, Im even training males on how to be more proactive, by having training session on success. Sad to say. The schools put people through and there are alot more males going through the programs now. Knowly that they aren't going to get work. I think its the schools responisbility to inform men that their a great choice that they won't find work in the field. I do massage as a part time income, but im now forced to look for a fulltime job else where.

Randall12 in Phoenix, Arizona

45 months ago

MT n WA in Olympia, Washington said: Let this be a lesson for other men. Do not waste your time or money on massage school! Think about it. Do YOU want a man to massage you? Well neither does anyone else. Employers know this fact as well.

If you want to open your own business you'll be fine. But don't expect anyone to hire you. I know. I own my own salon!

I think it wrong for you to say this. Im a male and im best in what I do. I have people that I have worked on say they like a female to work on them, but I had to up sell myself to this person to get her business. I dnt do the fluff and buff like so many other females in my field, but I can do it, but better. As a owner myself I dnt give a choice, I believe in equality. As a business owner you should try to upsell a male therapist to your clients. Its called empowerment, you have the power to make change, but you whether not. You keep the cycle going and its sad. I call this maleaphobia

supernavy84 in Sebastian, Florida

42 months ago

"I know, I own my own salon." You are a nimrod. Can you send us a picture so we can forward it to Dictionary.com and have them place it next to the definition? Thank you kindly.

nimrod definition
[ˈnɪmrɑd]
n.
a simpleton; a nerd. : What stupid nimrod left the lid off the cottage cheese?

You did MT in WA! You left the lid off the cottage cheese! Now it stinks in here!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

rick in Pottstown, Pennsylvania

42 months ago

What are you so angry about? I am doing just fine. Are you sure you are in the right field of work? I have a long history in the medical field and I love what I do!

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.