Grace period to massge without a license??

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

Holly in Decatur, Illinois

64 months ago

I am about to graduate a massage therapy school in Illinois the first week of February. I have already been sending my resume out stating that I will be a graduate in February '09 and will be taking the National Certification Exam within the same month. Today I received a response to my resume from a spa here in Illinois asking me if I am allowed to practice even though I don't have my license yet and told me that there is usually a grace period in which you can do so? This is a very reputable salon, so I assumed maybe they just knew something that I didn't, because I was never under the impression that I could begin practicing massage until I had my license. I am just wanted to find out if there is such thing as a "grace period" in which you can begin practicing massage before you have your license??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

TTF in Chicago, Illinois

63 months ago

No, I don't think there is, especially if you havn't passed the National test.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Alexa in Beloit, Wisconsin

55 months ago

No, Holly............you cannot work anywhere without a certificate or license (in some states). If anyone is allowing you to, they would be risking their license if anything were to happen while under their employ. I have been in practice for 20yrs and am licensed in Washington State and Wisconsin and it is the same everywhere. Laws are getting tougher too and that is a good thing for the sake of being sued for Malpractice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Sally in West Palm Beach, Florida

55 months ago

Holly in Decatur, Illinois said: I am about to graduate a massage therapy school in Illinois the first week of February. I have already been sending my resume out stating that I will be a graduate in February '09 and will be taking the National Certification Exam within the same month. Today I received a response to my resume from a spa here in Illinois asking me if I am allowed to practice even though I don't have my license yet and told me that there is usually a grace period in which you can do so? This is a very reputable salon, so I assumed maybe they just knew something that I didn't, because I was never under the impression that I could begin practicing massage until I had my license. I am just wanted to find out if there is such thing as a "grace period" in which you can begin practicing massage before you have your license??

Never assume that an employer or a potential employer know more about your license than you. As it will be yours, it is
your repsonsibility to know wether you can practice or if there is a limbo period. Trust me they don't care if you get nailed!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Cia in Seattle, Washington

24 months ago

Alexa in Beloit, Wisconsin said: No, Holly............you cannot work anywhere without a certificate or license (in some states). If anyone is allowing you to, they would be risking their license if anything were to happen while under their employ. I have been in practice for 20yrs and am licensed in Washington State and Wisconsin and it is the same everywhere. Laws are getting tougher too and that is a good thing for the sake of being sued for Malpractice.

Hi Alexa, I have a question,].. If I get licensed in WA state, will I be able to use that certificate to work in Chicago, IL or am I going to have to start from square one again with new classes? Do you know any of this info.. if so, your help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.