Is it a good job

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (21)

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida

70 months ago

What I can tell you about massage therapy - I have a friend (went to court reporting school, worked with her as a legal secretary/paralegal, etc). She was a massage therapist for (at least five years). She went back to the legal field because she said quote, "The market was just over saturated with massage therapists and it was hard to get a job."

Back in 1981 when I moved to Florida, I just started out as a court reporter (had RPR status). In Tampa, I was LUCKY to get any job in court reporting. Oversaturation. There were 13 court reporting schools in the area. The owners of reporting firms were making MORE MONEY operating a court reporting school.

Go through your phone book or check the Internet - find out how many training programs there are in your general area for massage therapy. That should give you a general idea of your competition.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

getarubdown in home in, Pennsylvania

70 months ago

I am so with you on all of what you just wrote!! I do recruiting from MT schools for my spa and I also do guest speaking on my career as a therapist and believe you me, I do not sugar coat anything. I make sure to relay the pros and cons of being either an independent contractor or working as an employee. Yes, making $60 an hour on ONE massage may sound great, but you have to save atleast HALF of that for your taxes (because that's not taken out), then you have to account for laundry, health insurance (if you have any), and if its your own business, there's marketing, utilities and other overhead costs. So....it's like you said, a labor of love!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Loren in Charlotte, North Carolina

69 months ago

Missoula,

I think YOU may have missed what Adrian was saying...its not that massage is easy to just jump in and start making big bucks...of course you have to work and be dedicated and expect ups and downs and cancellations as in any business (and it isn't even enough to be a dedicated therapist, you need to be business savvy too so that you know what to do when those cancellations and recessions happen..)
but in the very near future when the insurance companies begin to carry massage therapy...which I firmly believe is going to happen, then the game is going to change and then it won't be such a struggle anymore because it will be an insured health practice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Adrian in Cocoa, Florida

69 months ago

I dont think that I am being naive when i state that the industry is burgeoning. The numbers speak for themselves. The health and wellness industry brings profits now in the trillions of dollars. Massage therapist who are being certified today are entering a industry where the growth potential is estimated to be 75 percent in the next 20 years as baby boomers age. I don't think those numbers are naive. whats naive is the idea that the massage therapist does not have to be aware of those numbers. I am a pretty savvy business man and I am fully invested in my future as a L.M.T. I will pursue education in all areas of bodywork so that I can offer my clients the benefit of my knowledge and experience thereby ensuring a bright future. I so wholly belive this that I am furthering my education and entering a program to become a doctor of acupuncture and Chinese medicine. A field now accepted and integrated in to modern western medicine. So I say to anyone entertaining the idea of becoming a L.M.T. "come on there is always room for one more".

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Christa in Lake Stevens, Washington

64 months ago

Im still in highschool but i have been looking into Massage therapy. I love giving massages and its something that interst me. I keep getting so many different answers about if its worth it. To me its worth it but i also want be be able to finacially take care of myslef. So would it be smart to have a steady job on the side? please give me adive my email is christa119@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Babyace in Montclair, New Jersey

64 months ago

I love being a massage therapist and it is what I was meant to do; HOWEVER, I must say that I am getting ready to retire from my first career after 20 years, and will be receivng a pension and health benefits for myself and my husband, for the rest of my life. It is very important to get health benefits and steady income, so I do think it is a very good idea to get a job that you can get both. I also think there is a lot to learn as a Massage Therapist, and it is important that we continue our education in order to do so. It may be a good idea to start part time and see where your career takes you as an MT. All the best.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Asta in Monroe, Georgia

52 months ago

You are right when you save that it is best to use massage as a supplemental income and too many students of massage are not aware of those factors and it's very important. The advertising for therapist makes the career look like it can be a sole career. It depends on your circumstances. I love massage but wish that I was better informed going in. I'm also going for my yoga instructor certification too. We sound like we are following the same career paths and I totally understand where you're coming from.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

52 months ago

Asta in Monroe, Georgia said: You are right when you save that it is best to use massage as a supplemental income and too many students of massage are not aware of those factors and it's very important. The advertising for therapist makes the career look like it can be a sole career. It depends on your circumstances. I love massage but wish that I was better informed going in. I'm also going for my yoga instructor certification too. We sound like we are following the same career paths and I totally understand where you're coming from.

I am interested in becoming a Certified Yoga Instructor, I find Yoga and Massage so closely related, I also think it might be easier to find work and a Yoga instructor. A lot of Massage Therapy places want to put you on "call". Give me a break. I still love being a Massage Therapist, and continue to learn all that I can.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Amanda in Kitchener, Ontario

52 months ago

I have been an RMT for over 16 years, owning my practice the from the start. It was not easy, a lot of hard work, marketing, networking, advertising, connecting with other medical professionals. Here in Ontario IT IS covered by insurance and yet many of us still struggle to get by financially. The sad news is even though many RMT's are gifted healers and therapists, unfortunately those same ones also have other jobs to help make 'ends meet'. My province and region is extremely over saturated, and recently I just found out yet another massage school in my area is opening in September, we already have 2 in a populated area of about 300,000. 3 schools would be unreasonable. How many other professionals spend $18,000-20,000 on their education knowing they will also need to have other unrelated income for support? The rationale behind that makes no sense whatsoever, unless of course you had planned all along to have 2 or 3 jobs. I have taught at 2 massage therapy schools to supplement my income, and now I am back in school at age 45 to complete a degree in social work. My advice for those still in high school, research, research, researh, to see what jobs will be needed in the coming years ahead, and go for what suits you best.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

THM in Concord, North Carolina

52 months ago

I have been a LMT for 5 years and growing my own clientale was great until the economy flagged here in NC.
Now, besides what you said about having to supplement my income or do massage 4-5 days per week (which burns you out)...Massage Envy is a franchise that is rounding up all the massage therapists to become labor and its working. Chains are springing up all over and clients are flocking.
Its disappointing and at 43, I am going back to school for nursing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

37 months ago

Jeffrey in New York, New York said: I work full-time at a University and am planning on keeping my job. At the same time, I'm looking to do something that involves working directly with people, and using my hands. I miss seeing what magic our hands can create. I have always enjoyed giving and receiving massages, and thus I recently started thinking of going to a MT school. I don't plan on doing MT full-time but would like to make it something I can do evenings and weekends. I don't expect to earn a ton of money, and only want to supplement my current income, make people happy, and meet great people. I would love to work with hospice and AIDS or cancer patients.

I have never pursued a "physically" involved career - but have always enjoyed using my hands and have always considered a career where I can 'create' something. Additionally, I like the fact that MT is something that I can pursue almost "for fun" anywhere, and "for pocket money" as long as I ensure I'm legally licensed and have a client base. I'm planning on pursuing my doctorate in Germany in the next couple of years, and think being a MT would be a great way to relax and earn a little money on the side. Am I being naive, or not?

Great idea Jeffrey, It is a very interesting and rewarding field. The best part about doing it part time is that you can pick and choose your hours, since you have a full-time job. Also, clients paying in cash is nice. I also give event chair massages, which can be hard work, but you can market yourself and meet some really nice people. Good luck in your endeavors.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Tony in Beaverton, Oregon

37 months ago

Jeffrey in New York, New York said: I work full-time at a University and am planning on keeping my job....I'm planning on pursuing my doctorate in Germany in the next couple of years, and think being a MT would be a great way to relax and earn a little money on the side. Am I being naive, or not?

I agree with Babyace, Jeffrey. Massage for me is a wonderful part-time practice. The fewer massages I do the more I enjoy it, actually. The only challenge in your situation may be finding clients since most therapists are self-employed. There are agencies out there that call on therapists occasionally for special events and other outcall situations. I know an event planner who arranges large conferences in my area who sends a lot of work my way at no charge, just an occasional massage!

Hospice and cancer work is very emotionally challenging but rewarding. You could most definitely find plenty of work through a local hospice organiation.

The great thing about massage for me is how appreciative the clients are. They're almost always happy and ready to receive your services. Plus the tips are great! So in your situation I'd most definitely recommend massage. You have a realistic approach and seem to be grounded enough to handle the challenges before you. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jeffrey in New York, New York

37 months ago

Tony in Beaverton, Oregon said: I agree with Babyace, Jeffrey. Massage for me is a wonderful part-time practice. The fewer massages I do the more I enjoy it, actually. The only challenge in your situation may be finding clients since most therapists are self-employed. There are agencies out there that call on therapists occasionally for special events and other outcall situations. I know an event planner who arranges large conferences in my area who sends a lot of work my way at no charge, just an occasional massage!

Hospice and cancer work is very emotionally challenging but rewarding. You could most definitely find plenty of work through a local hospice organiation.

The great thing about massage for me is how appreciative the clients are. They're almost always happy and ready to receive your services. Plus the tips are great! So in your situation I'd most definitely recommend massage. You have a realistic approach and seem to be grounded enough to handle the challenges before you. Good luck!

Thanks Babyace and Tony - very encouraging responses! I'll talk to my friends who are massage therapists and make a decision over the next few weeks. Also, one of the reasons why I would love to work with Hospice patients is because I used to work in research at a cancer hospital - so I had to meet patients and introduce treatment plans to them, but I had to stay very emotionally distanced, when all I wanted to do was give them a hug, more often than not, knowing their treatments weren't going to really help. Doing something comforting would just feel so much better, knowing that I was able to make someone's last few days/weeks/months easier on him/her and his/her family.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

37 months ago

Omg Jeffrey, you are a sweetheart. Also, just FYI I work at a Hair Salon one day a week, which I happen to really like (and get free hair service). Like Tony, I do limit the amount of Massages I take, I want to always be fresh, attentive and patient. All the best to you!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Ankur in North Brunswick, New Jersey

34 months ago

I worked at an ME, a salon, and a chiro's office while building my own clientale at the same time. It took a lot of work, but I have my own private practice now with 50 clients....half of them are weekly/bi weekly and I am able to live very well on the income. My business has been built by word of mouth without any advertising. I love what I do, I read up on everything, I take lots of classes, and I integrate all of that into the massage. It works....but you have to work at it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

court_rose32 in Eden Prairie, Minnesota

34 months ago

i am 16 in 10th grade at school. i dont have the best grades and my dream is to me a physical therapist when im out of high school. any advice?! would this be a good paying job?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

TrueImag Spa in Nederland, Texas

23 months ago

Massage Therapy Is a great job! Ive been doing it for 4 yrs now and am doing well. Yes I am working my butt off but loving every minute of it especially when Im currently up to making apx $1,000. per week! There are jobs where minimal marketing is required such as a Hotel resort spa where I work part time I get paid hourly plus commission plus meals, full time employees get health insurance benefits. I love working in the spa we get to treat ourselves and each other with massages and facials on our slow times. I also recently started my own massage business part time and it is going well. By renting out a small room in a hair salon I am able to provide services the way I want when I want. BUT you certainly have to have a passion for massage therapy cause if your doing it for the money you will burn out quickly. Hope this helps in some way! =D

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No Reply - Report abuse

JaniceHands in las Vegas, Nevada

21 months ago

Yea, i agree wit mogul, i posted an ad on massagepot.com yesterday, ive already gotten 3 orders and went to two of them, wow..i didnt know sites like this exists... to be honest, it explain the site a little better, because all you realy do is post and ad and then they put a paypal button on, but wow, on friday they sent me my money and that was like christmas twice...i posted my add for 85 bucks...they sold a two hour for 170, and an 85 for me, and i got paid the next day..i was like holy **** , i caught it on a thursday so sure enough friday at midnite i got paid...awesome ... thanks mogul!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

ToBoeingOrNotToBoeing in Seattle, Washington

21 months ago

I can't do it. I would be too titillated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

mike jones in Mckinney, Texas

7 months ago

Ankur in North Brunswick, New Jersey said: I worked at an ME, a salon, and a chiro's office while building my own clientale at the same time. It took a lot of work, but I have my own private practice now with 50 clients....half of them are weekly/bi weekly and I am able to live very well on the income. My business has been built by word of mouth without any advertising . I love what I do, I read up on everything, I take lots of classes, and I integrate all of that into the massage. It works....but you have to work at it.

Teach me your ways brother!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Massage Therapy Schools Information in Irving, Texas

6 months ago

Massage therapy is a very rewarding profession. As we speak today, the Bureau of Labor and Economic Growth projects over a 20% increase in demand through 2020. This surpasses many industries out there. Salaries are also on the rise. That said, it is a tough profession, but you can do very well in it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.