Massage Envy experiences...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (851 to 900 of 1549)
Page:  « First « Previous   15  16  17  18  19  20  21  Next »   Last »

dbmassage in San Diego, California

51 months ago

OK, so I am related to a recently retired doctor and a nurse, and they both admit there is a problem even with medical education. Even MD's don't receive adequate training in muscle injury, nutrition repair, and in alternative education. One of my client's is currently in medical school, and is going to practice OBGYN. I volunteer at the same hospital she is doing her residency as a doula. There is a big difference between the medical floor and the midwife floor in how patients are cared for. My client is trying to learn how the midwives approach patient care/birthing because she doesn't really feel she is getting an adequate picture of how things can be done. There is something that is taken away somehow when everything becomes so medical. I am not saying that medicine is bad. I think the approach to patient care should be addressed. Not everyone responds to every medical treatment well. That is why people seek out alternative treatments. Medical schools need to implement more training in muscle injury/repair, nutrition, and alternative ways of healing.

Also it is only recently that drug companies started running tests to find adequate dosages for women. Prior to this it was assumed that women and men both receive the same dosages, when it is obvious that we have different levels of things like hormones, and could possibly respond differently to medication.

So, I have jumbled information here, but my main point is that all medical fields are in need of reevaluating their education, and that none of us should be so narrow minded to think that we can heal a person with just our hands. It is important for us to refer out and encourage our client's to never stop searching for what makes them feel better. For some it is PT, others acupuncture, others MT, others a muscle relaxer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

musiclady in Beltsville, Maryland

51 months ago

client said: Hi. I am glad I found this forum.

I have limited financial resources (otherwise I would go to a deluxe spa which includes many amenities far and above the actual massage), but if I feel any pressure whatsoever to tip in addition to paying a membership fee, then I simply will not join Massage Envy.

I am shocked and disappointed to learn that a membership-based entity would even permit you to accept tips, let alone encourage them

Just to let your know that therapists make about $20,000 a year at Massage Envy and that is with an average tip of about $20! I should know, I have worked there for two years now!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

musiclady420 in Chicago, Illinois

51 months ago

massagepoohbah in Toronto, Ontario said: In what way do they take advantage of MTs? What would make them a better organization?

They take advantage of their therapists by not paying them enough, overworking them, forcing them into practicing modalities they are not trained in, and there are no decent pay raises or incentives to be the best at your job! What would make them a better organization??? Ha, is that a trick question???? They need to first off quit hiring too many therapists and let the current therapist get some regular first, quit telling clients that see a therapist on a regular basis that "You should try someone else!" Give the therapist some incentive for keeping clients happy, a ten dollar gift card for being the most requested therapist is not a great incentive! Furthermore, the clinic I work at give you no incentive to keep an established clientele! Finally, I think this is the most pain I have ever felt in my entire life!!! My everything hurts!!!! So, hopefully this will help! OH, and if my CA finds out about me writing this I will probably be written up for my freedom of speech because hse has already done it to many of our S/A's and Therapist's! So, have a nice day!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

51 months ago

jpgr in Houston, Texas said: Are any Massage Envy's open on the 4th of July?

Suprisingly, this is one of the very few days they close the clinic!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

51 months ago

Defender of Massage Envy in Atlanta, Georgia said: All of these comments are ridiculous! First, to the person who doesn't want to tip...people are rubbing your body and you feel as if you shouldn't tip? Do you not tip waitors, or your hair stylist? Massage therapist work hard, and are constantly on their feet. People who are too cheap to tip are the only ones who feel tips are "unprofessional". Also to the MTs, I have worked at Massage Envy for over a year and I feel that I am paid extremely fairly. What you don't make per hour you make up in the fact that 1. You don't pay for anything needed to perform massage therapy, 2. You never have to market yourself they do that for you, and 3. The hours are very flexible. I get extra money for clients joining as well as extra money if I am requested, I wouldn't get that anywhere else!

Well, all Massage Envy's are not created equal!!!! Because I have worked my hands to the point where I now have severe arthritis and I am thinking of changing my career back to truck driving! I am stuck with over $17,000 in student loans! And, because of my whopping $19,000 I made last year at Massage Envy, I cannot afford to pay them back! The worst part about this is I was the "Most Requested Therapist" last year with a yearly retention average of 69%!!!! So, I hate to see what the other therapists made???? I also know that the therapist who was awarded with "Over a Thousand Massages" made a total of $20,000 last year in 2009! And she was on the schedule for 40 hours a week versus my 25 hours a week! So, believe me McDonald's is looking pretty good right now! Lastly, the hours, hmmm? I have never been able to control my hours! The one time I asked my manager if I could extend my hours for a regular and very loyal client, I was told that I could not just change the schedule at a whim to suit my clients. That my client needed to go see another therapist! Hence, this client was very angry!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

51 months ago

Owner/Clinic Administrator in Atlanta, Georgia said: Haha, ABMP has a program with Massage Envy where it gives our therapists a discount on their insurance. Good luck finding a company who provides liability insurance who does not back Massage Envy. They, being smart business people, understand that we are the largest employer of massage therapists in the country. It would be foolish of them not to try to secure a spot in our wake.

You are absolutely right, "being smart business people"!!! Yeah, forget about good quality, good pay, ethical treatment of therapist, and a work environment where the therapist doesn't have to worry about overuse injury! You need to face facts, Massage Envy is only about how their corporation can make money for the franchisees not the therapist's whose back they ride on! It is slave labor for MT'S!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jpgr in Houston, Texas

51 months ago

musiclady420 in Chicago, Illinois said: Suprisingly, this is one of the very few days they close the clinic!

Our location is the only one open in our group in Houston ...The CA claims it is a "rule" and he does not make the rules up...

jpgr in Houston, Texas

51 months ago

Does this make any sense to anyone that works at massage envy...
we have a laudry room, but our CA has decided to put the laudry bags in our SMALL,TINY break room...so after we finish a massage....we go to the break room and put our DIRTY sheets in there.
Of course we eat in there and HE does not...
Any feed back....Please!

51 months ago

Ewe, that is gross!!!! Our sheets are kept in a closet. I would contact the owners or corporate about that!
And that is such BS about you being open on July 4th! Maybe the owners set that rule??? Who knows??? All envies are different. We have like 25 of them in Illinois and some people are just happy because they get great benefits and pay while some places pay crap! There is one here that pays $19 an hour to start and you get an extra dollar for requested therapists, you get an extra dollar for being lead, you get three bucks for signing memberships, but they don't have insurence. Massage Envy corporate needs to take away some of the control from the owners and make it uniformed across the board!!!! And the insurance at our clinic is soooo expensive that if any of us take it half of our check goes bye-bye! I don't understand why massage envy doesn't do the insurance through the corporate???? We have like 800 clinic nationwide! For peat's sake that is why I took a job with them in the first place! Do they not understand that we therpist's talk with each other?!?!? Because if we didn't there wouldn't be a forum on here for this!?!?!? And obviously there are a lot of us who are unhappy with them and they know they got us by the balls(so to speak)!!! We are nothing more than a bunch of little peon's to them who make for a good cash cow!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

jpgr in Houston, Texas

51 months ago

This manager has to go....problem is...we do not have any info on the owners...theGlovers use to won it and it was MUCH better...all I know our new owners are from India....
If anyone has any help/ideas..phone numbers.. on who to contact?

Speak out in Arlington, Virginia

51 months ago

Well if you can get an e-mail or something from the owners then maybe find more about them through facebook of google them.The more information you have then you can look through the internet to see if owned other businesses and maybe see if they have had complaints from other employees.

skaye84 in Edwardsville, Illinois

51 months ago

jpgr in Houston, Texas said: This manager has to go....problem is...we do not have any info on the owners...theGlovers use to won it and it was MUCH better...all I know our new owners are from India....
If anyone has any help/ideas..phone numbers.. on who to contact?

It is a bit difficult to get the owner's info if the management is unwilling to provide it to you. Your best bet is to go to Massageenvy.com & search for clinics in your region. At the very bottom of the clinic listings, is the regional developer's name & contact info. (it's most accessible due to their role in attracting new franchise owners) They should provide you the owners information fairly easily. If they do not, then corporate's e-mail addresses are even easier to come by. CG Funk is the therapist development contact @ corporate. Good luck! & make your complaints as specific as possible & as unified (multiple therapist) as possible for optimal results. just a suggestion

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

kesh in Spring, Texas

51 months ago

jpgr, I recently looked up Massage Envy on Houston's BBB website. I remember seeing owners listed under each location. Maybe that would help you. You shouldn't have to put up with crappy work conditions.

Owner/operator in Robbins, Illinois

51 months ago

Hi musiclady420 in Chicago, Illinois and those who are interested in making this industry better...

We operate a small MT center in Chicago. We compensate our therapists with 40% commission plus tips. No product usage fees and we try to motivate our therapists by occasional bonuses.

Why do we compensate our therapists this much? We believe that happy therapists equal to our clients' happiness. We can say that we have a very strong client basis and very high client retention rate.

We are still trying to strive toward changing massage therapy industry as what it should be and our goal is to expand our business. We know we are still small entity and we can not compete with ME or other large SPAs or franchises now.

However, we are hoping that right mind and goal/dream will be the key to set standard in this industry and our goal is to provide a place where therapists can learn and grow at the same place. Which that means to combine both educational system and professional massage therapy provider, much like an university hospitals for doctors. How wonderful it would be if you can learn from experienced MTs and seeing them performing their profession in front of your eyes?

This way, we can provide much needed guidance, professionalism and continuing education to our therapists, and at the same time we can comfort clients and clients' can trust therapist. Not like current system where you never know what you might experience when you walk into a massage therapy provider...even those "supposedly" professional massage therapy franchises which many of them are own by regular joes/janes not knowing what massage therapy is all about.

If you are truly for this industry, you will definitely hear more about us in the upcoming years here in Chicago.

DOLORES in Austin, Texas

51 months ago

we need more people like you in the industry. Thank you for what you are doing.

jpgr in somewhere, Texas

51 months ago

I think Massage Envy had good intentions in the begining, but what has gone wrong especially with some of the Houston locations...the owners have hired some C.A's who could care less about the massage therapist....It is a revolving door at my locations...To the owner of the massage business in Chicago...I applaud you!!!!
Keep allowing the therapist do what we love! and you will be rewarded....by the way..come on down to Houston also!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

NewMrsT in Bay Area, California

51 months ago

I'm going to try and be as discreet as possible considering I still work for this company, although I will be submitting my two weeks tomorrow. Thus far, this has been the worse experience in any job. I was very hesitant to sign on with a job for ME, but hey, when you're broke, you take what comes first, and they were so excited to hire me, they called back and offered me a job in less than 24 hours. First of all, I loved my franchise owner, she has worked in the medical field for over 20 years, so I thought, hey, she's going to be client-minded. Well, she is, for the most part, but she's never in the office. She interviewed me and offered the job, I never met the office manager until after my orientation, and unfortunatly, we clash...bad. So, considering there are over 800 comments on this site and I do not have time to search for answers to my questions, I will post them myself. How is it, that a company can say they pay you one way, but it shows up totally different on the pay stub? I'm assuming that saying that they are paying us $10 an hour for the time clocked in, then supplementing the pay for massages as a "bonus" is how they get past the IRS...? I've only worked for them for a couple months and I've quickly become a popular therapist and requested often, so I don't usually have sit time. However, last week I went in for a shift (I drive for at least 30 min to get there, if not longer due to traffic) and I didn't have any massages scheduled for the day...long story short, after asking to go home two hours after my shift started, I was permitted to go in an hour, only to have a massage booked for the last 90 minutes of my shift, ONE minute before my "you can go" time. I went to the office and told her I didn't mean to seem unappreciative, but why should I stay for another hour for a massage I wasn't going to get paid for? Well, my understanding of the pay scale was incorrect. I believed I was getting sit vs massage pay based on my daily shifts...

51 months ago

No, I was corrected, it is based on the two weeks. So I said, "You're correcting me and telling me that I just sat here for 3 hours, NOT getting paid?" I'm sorry, don't businesses constantly remind you that time is money? How is it not the same for employees? I guess it was my ignorance that got me into this situation, but I just don't understand how a company can require you to be some where without compensating! The little pay is one thing, I excepted that simply because it is consitant hours and regardless of where I practice, a client is a client and my work is designed around bringing someone comfort, not the money. Well, I'm just having a hard time working for a company that cares more about upgrades and memberships than it does the well being of a client or employee, but I'm sure that has been said on here hundreds of times. It was my fault for agreeing to work for such a financially minded company. I couldn't imagine walking out of a massage session only to be bombarded with contract and membership speeches given by some 18yr old nitwit. I also work in a spa part time, I can't believe that two such different takes on the same practice exist. Wish my spa had more work for me because I never would have agreed to waste my talent as a therapist on this company...any answers or words of wisdom to this LMT new to the business?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

DOLORES in Austin, Texas

51 months ago

I think I understand you, but I am not sure. The way the pay works is you get paid per massage -- nothing if you are not booked. If your total wages comes to less than minimum wage would be for the time you are scheduled, then you will receive minimum wage. Depending on how many hours you are scheduled, if you get a few massages you will make more than minimum wage and therefore get nothing for all the time you spend sitting. This is a really crappy policy, but it is legal. You said you gave notice -- that's the best thing you can do. If no one would work in these conditions there wouldn't be a massage envy. As long as therapists are willing to be treated this way, ME will thrive.

fed up in Stoughton, Massachusetts

51 months ago

I've worked for ME for over three years. This is a BUSINESS. They really could care less about the people. ME is there to make the company and the franchisees money. That's their purpose. Anything after that is a bonus. You know, the small things like employee compensation, happiness, supplies, client happiness.
They are a little sketchy about the time sitting vs time massaged dilemma. You are paid either the time massaged or the hourly rate, which ever is higher. SO... if you worked full time @ 32 hours/week you would need to do at least 25 massages/week (for 2 weeks) to be eligible for the higher massage rate. But if you missed it by one massage, then all of the massages you performed were at $10/hr.
That's the way it is.
SORRY :(

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

M.E HATER in Saint Louis, Missouri

51 months ago

I HAVE BEEN AT MASSAGE ENVY SINCE I HAVE BEEN OUT OF SCHOOL SINCE 2006. AND A FIRST IT WAS COOL JUST TO GET YOUR FEET WET AND GAIN EXPERIENCE, BUT AFTER SO LONG, IT SUCKS. THEY DO NOT PAY THEIR THERAPIST WHAT THEY ARE REALLY WORTH. THEN THEY TRY TO SWEET TALK YOU INTO DOING MORE THAN WHAT YOU SAY YOU CAN DO. YOU DO NOT GET YOUR RAISES WHEN YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO. CASE IN POINT, ANY TIME AT MASSAGE ENVY LONGER THAN A YEAR IS A WASTE. TOO BAD THE ECONOMY IS DOWN RIGHT NOW OR I WOULD HAVE FLOWN THE COUPE 2 YEARS AGO.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

M.E HATER in Saint Louis, Missouri

51 months ago

M.E HATER in Saint Louis, Missouri said: I HAVE BEEN AT MASSAGE ENVY SINCE I HAVE BEEN OUT OF SCHOOL SINCE 2006. AND A FIRST IT WAS COOL JUST TO GET YOUR FEET WET AND GAIN EXPERIENCE, BUT AFTER SO LONG, IT SUCKS. THEY DO NOT PAY THEIR THERAPIST WHAT THEY ARE REALLY WORTH. THEN THEY TRY TO SWEET TALK YOU INTO DOING MORE THAN WHAT YOU SAY YOU CAN DO. YOU DO NOT GET YOUR RAISES WHEN YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO. CASE IN POINT, ANY TIME AT MASSAGE ENVY LONGER THAN A YEAR IS A WASTE. TOO BAD THE ECONOMY IS DOWN RIGHT NOW OR I WOULD HAVE FLOWN THE COUPE 2 YEARS AGO.

SO BASICALLY MASSAGE ENVY IS A PIMP AND ALL THE THERAPIST ARE TWO BIT HOES BARELY MAKING IT!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

sambam in Gilbert, Arizona

51 months ago

Don't work at Envy!! Without Therapist's they can't exist...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

sambam in Gilbert, Arizona

51 months ago

Eric in Toronto, Ontario said: I'm curious about people's experience with Massage Envy. I hear a lot of negative comments especially with regards their pay scale. Has any therapist found working at Massage Envy to be a positive experience? Are you able to accept tips at Massage Envy? Are there other perks in working there in terms of professional development or benefits?

Honestly you are better off finding some other good therapist's and starting your own place and teaching one another your modalities ME can't compete on a quality level when therapist's do this. Combine the costs of opening your own place and work as a team.Your going to be much happier and you won't have to deal with "CA's" who nothing about therapy. If you are good at what you do and love what you do then you will always have clients!

--------- in Leesburg, Virginia

51 months ago

anonymous in Akron, Ohio said: Since you are an owner operator I have a question for you. Is it true that it is Massage Envy's policy to book male therapists first?

They do that because male therapists are harder to book considering most men feel awkward for other men to touch them, and most women feel more comfortable with women. If you don't book male therapists first, they wont get booked enough

50 months ago

I'm officially a former employee...only took two months, and it's real sad for them because in that time I already had days fully booked with requests. I am happy I can say with confidence, even though I have only been practicing for just over a year, that I am way too good to be working for that company. Especially on that pay scale...I was making more on unemployment and working under the table while I was still in school! This company is a nasty blemish on the face of the massage therapy industry!

Jules in Lake Villa, Illinois

50 months ago

at in Roselle, New Jersey said: depending on what location you work at, I worked there and the benefits arent great You get paid the same aamount whether a person is a member or not. Sales associates get free massage, while employees pay at a discounted rate. You do get tips, that's probably the best perk

There like a massage Wal-Mart. Places like ME, Heavenly Massage, and Massage Motu should not be dictating the pay scale for our industry. We are a medical profession no matter what anyone else says. Its becoming accepted in hospitals and hospice industries because insurance companies are finally starting to accept it as a medical procedure. I've literally chuckled in potential employers faces for trying to offer me $8 and hour.Thats about 40 cents more an hour than a McDonalds employee. The high school kid at Home Depot makes $12-15 h with no experience! You may think well how unprofessional to laugh in someones face when there offering you a job, but you know what? Im the one thats being offended. IM OFFENDED! To all the newbies if you choose the right continuing ed coarses in clinical massage, spend the money, take the time you will make $30h You DESERVE $30h to start with time, but dont ever take anything less than $20h/per massage. Even a true high end spa offers at least $20 because they charge the client about $115h. AMTA is another one im disappointed in/ There supposed to be right behind us about all this, but there not.

MT'S AGAINST ME in Bradley Beach, New Jersey

50 months ago

I have been at ME for 3 years. At first, I had no desire to work there, but I wanted to have the ideal work schedule...and for the most part I do. I dont work weekends, and I can basically dictate my hours. I was all for massage therapy being affordable for the masses, and I still believe it should be. No one should have to pay over 100 bucks for a massage. My distaste for this company started to grow when I realized that we as therapists are totally disposable. While I agree, clients come first, well, I now agree so does the therapists. We are ME work horses, and are treated like factory farm animals. ME is a sweat shop for therapists. This is absolutely wrong and unethical in my book. Not only do we suffer, but I feel the clients are suffering as well. It's massed produced massage, and it's disgusting. My ME,(well, I gave my 2 weeks, so I will be free from this sick disgusting business model)cares only about money. Forget incentives, forget appreciation, forget respect and dignity....ME are pimping out therapists every minute of every day. It's disgusting. IF YOU ARE PLANNING TO WORK THERE, DO NOT. GO SOMEWHERE WHERE THEY RESPECT YOU AND PAY YOU FOR WHAT YOU ARE WORTH. IF YOU ARE ALREADY AN EMPLOYEE, GET OUT! FAST!!! We all deserve better and we need to stand up for our rights as MT's and bring this evil company down. I would love to join a union....if you are interested in trying to start one...contact me.

DOLORES in Austin, Texas

50 months ago

I agree with everything you have to say MT AGAINST ME. The sad thing is that many massage schools and the AMTA endorse ME. That says a lot about where their interests are also! Just like WalMart, ME is a company who saw an opportunity and took it. People do want massages; they can't or don't want to pay a lot for one. ME is a corporation. It is not a philanthropic organization. It's purpose, as with any corporation, is to make money. It says it's purpose is to bring massage to the masses. That is really its business model. ME doesn't do anything illegal, or even unethical --- they just have their own interests at heart (as to most corporations). THAT DOES NOT MEAN ANYONE WHO WANTS TO BE TREATED WITH RESPECT SHOULD WORK FOR THEM. There are companys that thrive using a different business model. It is up to therapists to form these companys. Therapists can form their own corporations and compete with ME, but they have to be willing to do the work. As long as therapists are willing to put up with it, ME will flourish.

MT'S AGAINST ME in Hillside, New Jersey

50 months ago

@DOLORES

My s.o. is very active in the AMTA NJ chapter, and an educator in the field. I have been letting her know the situation that exists at ME. From what I know, CG Funk is very visible at DOE meetings, AMTA conventions etc. Agreed, that as long as we as MT's continue to feed ME, they will flourish. I think if the industry big wigs knew what ME was really like, vs what CG Funk tells them, and I'm sure she sugar coats all of the "benefits" at working at a ME, the industry leaders might be able to call ME out. Perhaps, I'm just a dreamer. I understand its a business, but I can think of so many companies that make loads of money but still treat their employees well. Even Starbucks! I worked for them for a little while and despite the low pay, our benefits were totally amazing..plus if you had a good work ethic, they were very keen in moving you right up the ladder..which I think is pretty cool.

Sheika in High Point, North Carolina

50 months ago

my biggest complaint working for ME is lack of employee benefits, ie health and dental insurance, disability, etc. I think its appropriate that they could offer us this. I mean, come on if Starbucks can do this, so can they!!

50 months ago

interestingly, i was chatting with someone who does business with some ME's in Northern NJ, and he told me this owner of 5 ME's is very good to her employees. She has given them very good health benefits, and provides continuing ce at no charge to the therapists. from this forum, it seems that for the most part, these owners are really few and far between. ME should have their business model include benefits for everyone..there is too much wiggle room for slum owners.

musiclady in Chicago, Illinois

50 months ago

musiclady420 in Chicago, Illinois said: Suprisingly, this is one of the very few days they close the clinic!

Except, not at all locations. We were open until 6pm at the Chicago Streeterville location.

Spa in Jonesboro, Georgia

50 months ago

I know someone who is selling her massage business, excellent location. Please contact clmarketinggroup@clear.net

Spa in Jonesboro, Georgia

50 months ago

The business is located in the Snellville, Lawrenceville, Duluth area. The owner is moving out of town, needs to be sold soon.

lola in Gorham, Maine

50 months ago

NOT TRUE. Beginning therapists do not usually get 30%. I started out at 50% and would never take less than 45% (and that better be at an exhorbited rate) Massage therapists are killing themselves to work and we are slitting our own throats by giving cheap massages. Its not a job you can compare to other professions. There is a reason massages average a dollar a minute.

jpgr in somewhere, Texas

50 months ago

skaye84 in Edwardsville, Illinois said: It is a bit difficult to get the owner's info if the management is unwilling to provide it to you. Your best bet is to go to Massageenvy.com & search for clinics in your region. At the very bottom of the clinic listings, is the regional developer's name & contact info. (it's most accessible due to their role in attracting new franchise owners) They should provide you the owners information fairly easily. If they do not, then corporate's e-mail addresses are even easier to come by. CG Funk is the therapist development contact @ corporate. Good luck! & make your complaints as specific as possible & as unified (multiple therapist) as possible for optimal results. just a suggestion

WHOO HOOO....This C.A I have been complaining about here in Houston resigned!!!!
Thanks to everyone for their help and suggestion!
I walked in yesterday and the energy was soooo different...it feels great !

HealingGirl in Miami, Florida

50 months ago

I have been a therapist at Massage Envy in Broward county for years. My experience in working in this clinic is positive and negative.

Positive: They pay my CEUs, liability insurance and they pay me a reasonable salary($20.00 per massage). Im always booked or booked the amount I want for the day. Feels like a family environment(depending on the clinic).

Negative: wear and tear of my body, salary can be higher but its reasonable. no health insurance paid by the employer(I dont mind, I get paid enough to purchase insurance)

Overall, Massage Envy is a great company that might have their flaws but what business doesnt have flaws? Anyways, working at Massage Envy is a part-time income, then you can do anything you want on your spare time. Personally, I spend my spare time building up my on-site massage business and work at M.E. part-time. I hope this clears out any doubts.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Maureen in Portland, Oregon

50 months ago

massagepoohbah in Toronto, Ontario said: In what way do they take advantage of MTs? What would make them a better organization?

Pay what they deserve ...............

And how about no personal relationships between between owners and employees??
Better management and owners that give a darn about who is making them there wealthy status.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

50 months ago

Im always booked at Massage Envy in Broward county and Im making money. Dont take this the wrong way everyone but you go to work to WORK. Forget the employer-employee relationship, as long as they pay you on time and dont mess with your check, then its all good. I know its hard to hear this, but reality is that there is no perfect job. If you work at a spa, you have to stay for the whole shift if you dont have an appointment and you are required to work saturdays and sundays. At least in Massage Envy you can pick the days you want. It might be a franchise but not all franchise have the same owners. If you want to make money, then get 2 jobs but stop complaining about a company that is having success. Also, if you own your own business like me and have experience then you wont have to compete with franchises. Good Day!

P.S. Dont reply aggressively. I just post whats on my mind.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Speak out in Alexandria, Virginia

50 months ago

What i have always been on call for appointments.I would never sit around for free.If you want to work for such low pay feel free but you will not last long in this field since you have to do so many to make up for the low pay.

isabella in Mcallen, Texas

50 months ago

skaye84 in Edwardsville, Illinois said: 1st of all your complaint regarding your timeclock doesn't even make any sense....you shouldn't have been getting paid hourly so what difference does it make. 2nd you should ABSOLUTELY be written up for talking on your cell in the lobby. We ask clients not to talk obnoxiously on their cell phones while in the clinic; so, why in the world would it be acceptable for an employee to be setting such a bad example regardless of whether they are on the clock or not.

if your on the clock.. then get written up. but if your not on the clock, there's no reason to get written up. its that simple.
and for your information, when i worked there i got paid per massage and hourly...

the phone call i had answered was from my brother saying he was already turning into the plaza.. there was nothing abnoxious about the phone call and you obviously dont know your $h!t..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

50 months ago

First of all, I have 5 years of experience working at Massage Envy and my hands are not messed up or do I experience pain after 8hrs of doing massages. I decide to do 8hrs straight because I can handle it due to my excellent physical status. If I want a break, I get it, no questions asked. It took time for my fellow boss to give me the full respect I deserve and my paycheck shows it. For the amount I make, and dont have to worry for business related expenses, it more than good. Massage Envy pays my liability insurance,CEUs courses and gives me the vacations I need in order to improve myself and productivity at work. I dont care what people say about Massage Envy, I rather be making little money then be unemployed because of my pride. When you are starving and you have kids, you have to put away your pride and provide for your children. Yes, call me ignorant, stupid and pitiful but at least I have a job, money in my pocket and not wasting my time writing in a blog complaining about a company that is beating spas, small businesses and so on. Besides, I also have my own practice and its doing just fine making money as well. Just be grateful for what you have , rather than complaint.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

50 months ago

HealingGirl in Miami, Florida said: First of all, I have 5 years of experience working at Massage Envy and my hands are not messed up or do I experience pain after 8hrs of doing massages. I decide to do 8hrs straight because I can handle it due to my excellent physical status. If I want a break, I get it, no questions asked. It took time for my fellow boss to give me the full respect I deserve and my paycheck shows it. For the amount I make, and dont have to worry for business related expenses, it more than good. Massage Envy pays my liability insurance,CEUs courses and gives me the vacations I need in order to improve myself and productivity at work. I dont care what people say about Massage Envy, I rather be making little money then be unemployed because of my pride. When you are starving and you have kids, you have to put away your pride and provide for your children. Yes, call me ignorant, stupid and pitiful but at least I have a job, money in my pocket and not wasting my time writing in a blog complaining about a company that is beating spas, small businesses and so on. Besides, I also have my own practice and its doing just fine making money as well. Just be grateful for what you have , rather than complaint.

i would hate to be your 7 and 8th client.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Speak Out in Alexandria, Virginia

50 months ago

Ok that's great.So how long do you think your body will hold up with that many hours.Now maybe your a genetic fluke that allows you to so that much work and not get any injuries but normal people do get injuries from doing that much work.If you want to do 8 hours and get that low pay then good for you but many of us know our time is worth much more.If you find your value is so low then feel free to give your time and body away on low pay.But I have been in this filed since 95 and it will catch up to you and you'll be luckly to hold on to a cup of tea if you keep this up.

Sheika in High Point, North Carolina

50 months ago

Hey Healing Girl, do u do swedish, deep tissue or what? I would say that what Speak out in Virginia says is true. Eventually doing 8 hrs, especially if some or most are true deep tissue will definitely reak havoc on the body. Do you have good body mechanics? Do you get regular massages? What do you do to take care of yourself? Do you do 8 hours everyday or only some days? How many do you do back to back? Im just curious. I have been doing massage for 6 yrs and am still in tact so to speak, no injuries. However, I am aware that if I stick to 5 sessions a day that my longevity as a therapist will be ok. I do personally think that ME is better than spa work at least around here. Its ok for the interim. I dont think its somewhere I want to stay long term because commission of less than 30 bucks per session is not really fair especially with no benefits. Thats food for thought.

micco in Lahaina, Hawaii

49 months ago

client said: Hi. I am glad I found this forum.

I have limited financial resources (otherwise I would go to a deluxe spa which includes many amenities far and above the actual massage), but if I feel any pressure whatsoever to tip in addition to paying a membership fee, then I simply will not join Massage Envy.

I am shocked and disappointed to learn that a membership-based entity would even permit you to accept tips, let alone encourage them

I am shocked you are shocked...If you were a member of a country club, you would tip the staff, who carts you golf clubs, right? The therapist is working for gratuities just like any other service provider. They do not have anything to do with membership...If you don't tip at least 20% you are cheap and clueless. If you can't afford a massage from a professional then go to a massage school and get massages from the students at a discount...but they should be tipped as well. You get what you pay for.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

micco in Lahaina, Hawaii

49 months ago

fed up in Stoughton, Massachusetts said: Friend, unfortunately they've all sold out to the franchises. I have ABMP and I work at an ME. I get $50 off my annual membership.
On another note, I did take that insurance because they cover hot stone and massage cupping with no extra rider! See, I'm one of those LMT's that have a state license and years of experience and continually go to school. Oh, yeah, I'm also one of those hippie, new age yoga teachers too....

It's true...in just about all the "healthy" industries -it is all corporate and franchised...brings all of us hippie, new age, yoga, well educated down...LMT, it used to be a lucrative profession and you had high standards of education, a mentor or several-and you paid your dues over time. Now, how cheap can you hire them in and who cares if they are fresh out of school. I see it all the time working in a fancy resort here on Maui...it is worse than ever since the recession...these corporate fat cats cut therapists pay and blame it on the economy. Maybe people are so in need of touch therapy that they are willing to overlook the way these franchises do business, just to get a massage, or they really just don't know the deal.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

micco in Lahaina, Hawaii

49 months ago

musiclady420 in Chicago, Illinois said: Well, all Massage Envy's are not created equal!!!! Because I have worked my hands to the point where I now have severe arthritis and I am thinking of changing my career back to truck driving ! I am stuck with over $17,000 in student loans! And, because of my whopping $19,000 I made last year at Massage Envy, I cannot afford to pay them back! The worst part about this is I was the "Most Requested Therapist" last year with a yearly retention average of 69%!!!! So, I hate to see what the other therapists made???? I also know that the therapist who was awarded with "Over a Thousand Massages" made a total of $20,000 last year in 2009! And she was on the schedule for 40 hours a week versus my 25 hours a week! So, believe me McDonald's is looking pretty good right now! Lastly, the hours, hmmm? I have never been able to control my hours! The one time I asked my manager if I could extend my hours for a regular and very loyal client, I was told that I could not just change the schedule at a whim to suit my clients. That my client needed to go see another therapist! Hence, this client was very angry!

you should have just gotten all your clients info and go to their homes. why would you choose to beat your body up that way?...develop your own client base and use massage envy as a spring-board to go out on your own.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

M.E. el slaverino in Nashville, Tennessee

49 months ago

jpgr in somewhere, Texas said: Ok...where do I begin..first of all I love being a massage therapist...and I don't even mind working for Massage Envy...been with them for a few years....If there are any owners out there reading these post many of us do appreciate what SOME OF YOU do for your therapist...having said that...WHAT THE HELL is wrong with some of these C.A's (Managers)...do they realize without talented therapist our locations will not continue to grow! PLEASE treat us with some respect!
We have lost several very good therapist the past few months and will probably loose more if this manager continues to treat therapist like a piece of CRAP!
Anyone have any information on who to contact...?
R E S P E C T...is that too much to ask for?

I hear you, Texas!!! Only our owner was quoted as saying "Therapists ( the same one's that make him swim around in money) are a dime a dozen"!! he has hired a C.A. that would make a good prison intake officer but not a manager with any "real" responsibilities!! I think that the ME brand name suffers when it's therapists are treated like third rate citizens when they are the main attraction and the reason these greazy owners turn a profit in a down economy " pressuring" people into signing up!
h

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « First « Previous   15  16  17  18  19  20  21  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.