Massage Envy experiences...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 1562)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

MEGAN in Hingham, Massachusetts

88 months ago

mASSAGE ENVY THERAPISTS WORK JUST AS HARD AS ANY THERAPISTS AT ANY OTHER SPA....THE MEMBERSHIP FEES ARE SUCH A GREAT DEAL, THAT YOU SHOULD MORE APPRECIATIVE AND LEAVE A GOOD TIP, DO YOU TIP A GREAT HAIRDRESSER, A GREAT SERVER AT A RESTAURANT???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Anonymous

88 months ago

Eric in Toronto, Ontario said: I'm curious about people's experience with Massage Envy. I hear a lot of negative comments especially with regards their pay scale. Has any therapist found working at Massage Envy to be a positive experience? Are you able to accept tips at Massage Envy? Are there other perks in working there in terms of professional development or benefits?

I am not a therapist, i am a desk associate but I have gotten close enough to the therapist to know how well they do. Every one for the most part stays pretty busy and walks out each day with some load of cash. Alot of the clients are real promising because the therapist and associate are all real sincere about the guest that come visit us at massage envy. The tips are good.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Anonymous

88 months ago

client said: The amount of money you pay to learn your PROFESSION, i.e. massage therapy, could not possibly be as much as a 4-year university degree or what a professional PHYSICAL THERAPIST pays to learn his or her profession.

Tips are unprofessional.

People dont attend a four year college or obtain a degree to be a waitress but waitresses also work to satisfy yours needs and if the service is good there, i dont think any one would have an issue with tipping them...Whats so different about a therapist.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Eric in Toronto, Ontario

88 months ago

I would tend to agree. What's unprofessional about accepting a tip? I don't think any less of service workers who rely on tips to supplement their wage. I don't think you could call a waiter, your hair stylist, a spa technician, a delivery person, etc. unprofessional simply because they accept tips.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

anonymous anonmous in Freehold, New Jersey

88 months ago

To anonymous:
The difference is that massage therapists go to school for about 500-1000 hours of training (states vary) that takes about 8 months and costs several thousand dollars and waiters can walk in off the street with no training at all. May Massage Envy's bad intentions catch up on them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Eric in Toronto, Ontario

88 months ago

I'm having a hard time understanding the logic I see in this discussion list.

If you look at any surveys of MTs income in the States, it's consistently around $20,000 per year. Most are self-employed so for $20K they are assuming the risk of operating a business and having to do both hands on work and admin.

At $15 per hour plus tips, a Massage Envy employee would be making well over $30,000 per year (assuming two weeks holiday) with no responsibility for admin and running a business. Given the stats, the largest percentage of therapists would be much better off financially working for Massage Envy than they would working for themselves.

Doesn't matter how you cut it: One client at $15 per hour is worth much more than zero clients at $70 per hour. Just my two cents.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Eric in Toronto, Ontario

88 months ago

Anonymous said: I am not a therapist, i am a desk associate but I have gotten close enough to the therapist to know how well they do. Every one for the most part stays pretty busy and walks out each day with some load of cash. Alot of the clients are real promising because the therapist and associate are all real sincere about the guest that come visit us at massage envy. The tips are good.

Do the Massage Envy therapists get paid an hourly wage or do they only get paid per massage completed? i.e. Do they get paid $15 per hour for being scheduled for a 8 hour shift ($120) or do they only get paid for every hour of massage they have scheduled in that shift?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

D in Oceanside, California

88 months ago

There are good therapist that can work in a great place. They are gifted and have hands that carve the fascia into it's proper compartments. The muscles then move as they are designed to move.

We go to so called good schools and they don't have enough clinit hours for us to
work on as many body types as we need. Some guy instructor will tell us not to
use lotion in deep tissue. Guess what- a hairy man takes oil not lotion for us
to flow into the muscle without pulling the hair. Some say use hand cleaner gel
Great they pay good money for a massage and someone uses hand cleaner gel.

I't discusted with the schools and no clinic hours. With so called good instructors that don't want to impart all they have learned.

Not everyone canbe a waiter-You have to know what person ordered what-you have to
be liked by the cook and the patrons. Not everyone can work at a good massage
salon. I've walked out on a few that have no muscle sense and plan to slide all
over my epitheial layer only. They belong at Massage Envy and not at the ideal
massage salons.

I belive Massage Envy is a waste for the gifted but a haven for the dowels in
square holes.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

D in Oceanside, California

88 months ago

sally said: Massage Envy really takes advantage of their MT and if you have any self respect you won't stay employed there long.

Great and where will these people find work. If you not good and have no
experience it's paradise.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Massage No More in Washington, District of Columbia

88 months ago

If your not good you have no business being a massage therapist period. That's the major problem with the massage industry there are no real standards. Anybody and everybody can be a "massage therapist" it is completely destroying the industry. Ralph Stephens, BS, LMT, NCTMB writes extensively about the massage industry and its current problems. If anyone is interested you can visit www.massagetoday.com or google his name. He completely honest and straight forward about the backlash that is going to hit massage due to its sub-par educational standards.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Heather Seal

88 months ago

Eric in Toronto, Ontario said: I'm having a hard time understanding the logic I see in this discussion list.

If you look at any surveys of MTs income in the States, it's consistently around $20,000 per year. Most are self-employed so for $20K they are assuming the risk of operating a business and having to do both hands on work and admin.

At $15 per hour plus tips, a Massage Envy employee would be making well over $30,000 per year (assuming two weeks holiday) with no responsibility for admin and running a business. Given the stats, the largest percentage of therapists would be much better off financially working for Massage Envy than they would working for themselves.

Doesn't matter how you cut it: One client at $15 per hour is worth much more than zero clients at $70 per hour. Just my two cents.

LOL OMG!! 20k a year?? WTF are you charging your clients?? I charge 70 an hour and have many of clients!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

me in Peyton, Colorado

88 months ago

I get 16 dollars per massage and no money for times when I don't have a client. It isn't worth it. Most tips are 10 dollars and are taxed. They tax everything there. Also, even the clients are going elsewhere because we are getting less and less. The girls at the front desk are rude to the clients and they get paid better than we do. They get an hourly wage of 10 per hour and 20% commission on everyone they sign up. Their checks are double mine and I do not get any commission for suggesting a membership. Non members still pay 65 dollars a massage and members pay 49.99 a month. Where is the benefit? I can do that without a membership and be able to keep all the money.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Heather Seal

88 months ago

Thats why I do mobile massage. I get my own clients, I make my own times, I charge what the massage is worth, plus convience fee and travel. which leads to 70 an hour. Lets say you do two massages a day so 14x70=980 Lets see massage envy give there M.T that chance to make that money without breaking the backs/hands/necks and whatever else. Two hours a day and you get the rest if the day to do what ever you want! and have the chance to make more.......

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

robi in Lombard, Illinois

88 months ago

How much approximately do MT's earn in ME per week, for example 20hrs?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Eric in Toronto, Ontario

88 months ago

Heather Seal said: LOL OMG!! 20k a year?? WTF are you charging your clients?? I charge 70 an hour and have many of clients!!

Check out this broadcast that was sponsored by Massage Therapy Radio:
instantteleseminar.com/?eventid=1836480

Don Dillon MT does a great job of summarizing the research that's out there on massage incomes and the state of the industry. I think most therapists will find it eye-opening.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

me in Peyton, Colorado

88 months ago

robi in Lombard, Illinois said: How much approximately do MT's earn in ME per week, for example 20hrs?

I earn about 300 a week so long as I have clients. And I have to stay there even when I don't have a client and do extra work that I don't get paid for. After taxes I get about 230.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Gray Neher in Littleton, Colorado

88 months ago

robi in Lombard, Illinois said: How much approximately do MT's earn in ME per week, for example 20hrs?

My therapists make $25 - $30 per hour session. That includes commission, bonus, spif and gratuity. Sorry but the IRS requires tips to be reported and, hence, they appear on the paycheck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

anonymous in Freehold, New Jersey

88 months ago

To me in Peyton, Colorado:
That compensation you quote is comparable to what a cashier makes. You can do a lot better by not letting Massage Envy exploit you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

me in Peyton, Colorado

88 months ago

I don't get any commissions or bonus' that goes to the girls at the front desk. I get 2 dollars for a spif and have only gotten 1 in 2 years.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

me in Peyton, Colorado

88 months ago

That is why I have another job doing customer service at a call center as well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Gray Neher in Castle Pines, Colorado

88 months ago

me in Peyton, Colorado said: I don't get any commissions or bonus' that goes to the girls at the front desk. I get 2 dollars for a spif and have only gotten 1 in 2 years.

Just out of curiosity, then, why do you still work there?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

me in Peyton, Colorado

88 months ago

For my clients because I can't take them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Heather Seal

88 months ago

Not taking your clients means, not advertising to them your going out on your own and how they can contact you. Now if you were to tell them this is my last day, and if they find your advertisement and come to you, well they seeked you out and you didnt take them. You only agree to not take clients and how it is worded in the contract. Keep in mind, there are always loop holes..ALWAYS I remember goign to a place called Massage heaven, and OMG the lady that is part owner there kept on stressing about not taking clients and how she would sue! This was an interview, the first and last might I add. I thought wow they are so worried about this going on. Then I relized...I get it!! there pay was the same as Massage Envy, but u kept all ur tips <it was up to you to claim them> And they KNEW if you left you were able to charge more and take some of the clients, so taking THERE clients was STRESSED!!! Which brings me to another point. Does a place like massage envy of heaven really by law get to hold a type of ownership on there clients. See These contacts these places make you sign is worded as is, but what does the LAW allow when it comes to this certine subject? If this did happen and client went to you and a place like envy found out, what legal grounds does envy have if the client came to you instead of u trying to keep them...The cient didnt sign anything to where now the best M.T for him has to deny him/her and wouldnt that be grounds for the client to have suit on envy? hmmmm this needs to be figured out for all of you who are in the contract with these places. its not about "ownership" on clients. it's about treating and helping people....Envy and Heaven seem to forget this....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

massage therapist in Chesapeake, Virginia

88 months ago

Eric in Toronto, Ontario said: I'm curious about people's experience with Massage Envy. I hear a lot of negative comments especially with regards their pay scale. Has any therapist found working at Massage Envy to be a positive experience? Are you able to accept tips at Massage Envy? Are there other perks in working there in terms of professional development or benefits?

Im glad to have found this site. For every massage therapist out there, you can rest asure that for every state the massages are sooooo very different. Massage Envys are no more than the PUPPY MILLS of massage. If you stay at one very long you can bet that your hands will be broke before your college loans are paid off!!! If we are to get respected and paid for our talents then we must get in touch with our inisurance agents, amta, etc, local chapters. True they want to sent standards for schools, however when they find out that we are being fed to the wolfs and getting hurt to the point that we are not working in the very field they loaned us money for, therefore, struggling to pay the loans back, they will help us to stop people like massage envys puppy mills at the door. The schools need NOT to let them recuit us at their schools because they are DEMEANING our worth ( VALUE ), if the schools, local laws, and US hold our selves to a higher standard then PEOPLE WOH ARE PAYING for a massage WONT GET HURT by therapist that are worn out tired and broke. We know we have families to feed so we make ourselves work harder not smarter. Stop the puppy mills!!! you wont see nurses or PTs working like this. In Va, they let people practice with a provision, they havent even passed their nationals, the public is being decieved and the business owner is getting paid full price, the therapist is getting less than a lic. therapist would get therefore flooding the market, THE PUBLIC IS AT RISK!!! For the PUBLIC that thinks they are getting a good deal GOOD LUCK IN NOT GETTING PUT INTO THE HOSPIT

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

massage therapist in Chesapeake, Virginia

88 months ago

anonymous anonmous in Freehold, New Jersey said: D:
You do not see the big picture.

YOU WANT TO SEE ACHANGE. PUT ADDS IN NEWSPAPER ABOUT HOW PLACES LIKE THESE RUN. THE PUBLIC MUST KNOW THEY HAVE A CHOICE! AND WHAT THEY ARE REALLY GETTING. BRING THE FIGHT OUTSIDE THE DOORS

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

massage therapist in Portsmouth, Virginia

88 months ago

Owner/Clinic Administrator in Atlanta, Georgia said: Haha, ABMP has a program with Massage Envy where it gives our therapists a discount on their insurance. Good luck finding a company who provides liability insurance who does not back Massage Envy. They, being smart business people, understand that we are the largest employer of massage therapists in the country. It would be foolish of them not to try to secure a spot in our wake.

I checked with amta and they in NO WAY indorse ANY massage employer like MASSAGE ENVY!!! SO HA YOURSELF. As a matter of FACT there could be things coming down the pipe that could change how YOU (massage envys alike ) do business. When the public finds out that they are not getting the care by healthy therapist because of owners greed. what do you think they will do!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

88 months ago

To Massage Therapist:
That is a good idea. Right now though, I can only afford ads that promote my business. Those ads are very expensive as it is and it would be a strain to place anti-Massage Envy ads at this time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

88 months ago

To Massage Therapist,
PS I just had a client who was a half hour late. He still got an hour and 10 minutes of my proffessional time (normally 10 minutes for intake form plus 60 minutes for the massage), but received a 40 minute massage on account of him being late. I ended the massage on time and explained that I have someone else coming. I reminded him that he was 30 minutes late.
He said he will call me again, and I bet he will not be late next time as he now respects my professional time. This is how massage therapists need to be or they are taken for granted. I am paid for my professional time even when waiting for a client.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Owner/Clinic Administrator in Atlanta, Georgia

88 months ago

massage therapist in Portsmouth, Virginia said: I checked with amta and they in NO WAY indorse ANY massage employer like MASSAGE ENVY!!! SO HA YOURSELF. As a matter of FACT there could be things coming down the pipe that could change how YOU (massage envys alike ) do business. When the public finds out that they are not getting the care by healthy therapist because of owners greed. what do you think they will do!

Lying about it will not change the fact that ABMP does endorse Massage Envy and does give special discounts to our therapists. I suppose by saying you checked you assume that everyone will just believe you, but you did not check. Sorry Charlie.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

me in Denver, Colorado

88 months ago

Look I called ABMP. They don't endorse you any more than they endorse a spa or chiropractor that hires a massage therapist. They give you those prices so that new therapist can get a cheaper rate on the insurance that is all. So don't go saying that you are endorsed by ABMP. They don't endorse any employer or therapist. They give you insurance and that is it. Remember this is a public forum and I can copy and paste what you say to an email to ABMP's ethics committee.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Linda in New York, New York

88 months ago

client said: Hi. I am glad I found this forum.

I have limited financial resources (otherwise I would go to a deluxe spa which includes many amenities far and above the actual massage), but if I feel any pressure whatsoever to tip in addition to paying a membership fee, then I simply will not join Massage Envy.

I am shocked and disappointed to learn that a membership-based entity would even permit you to accept tips, let alone encourage them

Because of limited financial resources massage Envy is the right place to be. The therapist have the same education and the same know how as your so called deluxe spa and alot of times Massage envy's therapist are better. The extra money you pay out to deluxe spas is for the extra amenities far and above the actual massage, as you say. This is your saving. Tipping your massage therapist has nothing to do with the place you choose but for the the hard work they perform on you and others just so you and others can feel better. Do you or does anyone out there know just how hard massage therapist work. They go home sometimes in a lot of pain because they choose to make you feel better and they give all they have. People that don't want to tip or tip poorly sham on you. You tip out of respect for the massage therapist.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

AT in Irvington, New Jersey

87 months ago

Massage Therapist (no more) in Hyattsville, Maryland said: I agree that tipping does seem unprofessional for a "professional" group like massage therapy. However, in a spa setting tips are how MTs and the spa staff make a portion of their money. I agree that our general education does not cost the same as a physical therapists education. However, our continuing education, licensing, professional memberships and other materials are expensive. If you have limited financial resources and think tipping is unprofessional then you have no business going to a spa period. Tipping is considered approperiate and expected in such a setting. So if you feel the need to be cheap go some place else.

I agree with you totally. I think that companies such as Massage Envy, who I had also work for should encourage tipping, being that the pay rate is so low. The benefits are useless. We need some type of compensation. It seems like that woman was saying, just because it is a Membership driven company that she shouldn't have to tip, yet you're monthly membership and tip would not be as much as you would pay for a massage at a spa.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Heather Seal

87 months ago

Tipping.......Hmmm Unprof. or proffesional. I dont require tips, but I will not turn them down. My tip is this, the fact that they use my service is tip enough. I don't think it's unprofessional, why? Tipping is a centries old tradition. No matter what profession someone was in they got tipped. Now people are worried about if it's unprofessional? Lord......

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

87 months ago

To Heather,
Thank you for these comments. I accept tips and have a sign posted "Tips Appreciated."

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Heather Seal

87 months ago

No Problem at all!! It is a centries old Tradition, people have damn near politicaly corrected everything else, I wish they leave this one alone!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Heather Seal

87 months ago

Ok I'll put it this way, people who get offered tips and think it's not right to accept them for what ever reason they have, you just call me up and I'll accept them for ya!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Mary in Atlanta, Georgia

87 months ago

Defender of Massage Envy in Atlanta, Georgia said: What you don't make per hour you make up in the fact that 1. You don't pay for anything needed to perform massage therapy, 2. You never have to market yourself they do that for you, and 3. The hours are very flexible. I get extra money for clients joining as well as extra money if I am requested, I wouldn't get that anywhere else!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Mary in Atlanta, Georgia

87 months ago

Defender of Massage Envy in Atlanta, Georgia said: All of these comments are ridiculous! First, to the person who doesn't want to tip...people are rubbing your body and you feel as if you shouldn't tip? Do you not tip waitors, or your hair stylist? Massage therapist work hard, and are constantly on their feet. People who are too cheap to tip are the only ones who feel tips are "unprofessional". Also to the MTs, I have worked at Massage Envy for over a year and I feel that I am paid extremely fairly. What you don't make per hour you make up in the fact that 1. You don't pay for anything needed to perform massage therapy, 2. You never have to market yourself they do that for you, and 3. The hours are very flexible. I get extra money for clients joining as well as extra money if I am requested, I wouldn't get that anywhere else!

Congratulations for being loyal to your comapny. It is always good to market yourself because that's how you impress your clients and they return as repeat clients. Extra money is always good, too, but Massage envy is not the only way to get extra money. Zen Massage -Fayetteville and (soon to open) Camp Creek provide those same options in an upscale, positive, professional environment where there are no contracts and no memberships. The therapists must be professional at all times and treat the clients with respect which helps the clients want to tip more when they can. We do encourage gratuities; however, we also understand that the benefits of the massage outweight the importance of providing a tip for the service. Sometimes clients may not have the extra cash for a gratuity, but still need the benefit of the massage. As a repeat client, a larger gratuity may be provided at the next appointment, but we don't focus on gratuities; we focus on poviding quality massages at affordable rates. visit our web: zenmassageusa.com Your Zen moment awaits and we are waiting for you at Zen. Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

me in Peyton, Colorado

87 months ago

I have an even better way. 1. word of mouth. I started with 1 client in massage school. He told someone and on and on. I now have people on a waiting list to see me. 2. I go to people's houses and charge them the same as ME's non member price which around here is $65 an hour. Granted I buy my own lotions, oils, scrubs, and clean my stones and laundry, but I make more money than I spend and I have clients who have bought their own sheets, some their own tables. So you see. It is all in the massage not the marketing for the massage. Good luck all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

87 months ago

Defender of Massage Envy:
All spas and massage parlors I know of already offer that along with pay of 50 % of the fee collected, or close to it -- $27 and up per massage, not a crappy $15!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Whatever in Washington, District of Columbia

87 months ago

Massage is a great therapy. However, it's a total joke as far as professional standards and trying make a living at it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Whatever in Washington, District of Columbia

87 months ago

Whatever in Washington, District of Columbia said: Massage is a great therapy. However, it's a total joke as far as professional standards and trying make a living at it.

Places like massage envy just make my point.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Heather Seal

87 months ago

Yeah F'in Right!! If that's the case, then Doctors wouldnt reconize Medical Massage Therapy, There wouldnt BE a Medical Massage Therapy, Nor LAWS for Medical Massage Therapy. Far as not making a livng off of it, either one or two things are not happening, One you don't take it serious nor does anyone you know take YOU serious, or two, your not good at it <which mind you, it's near impossible> Holy cow you have got to be kidding me!!!! I make a GREAT living off of it, I mean this is just SIMPLE and I make GREAT money at it and I love it!!I mean with Massage there are so MANY types of massage, sky is the limit on which direction you can go! Not making a living, or professional standards being a joke...That's laughable at best!!! Go ahead say something else Dumb.... I will pull up a chair an educate.....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Carrie in Peyton, Colorado

87 months ago

Sock it to em Heather! Your right. I think our best bet as massage therapist is to do what the nurses did. Make ourselves only available to the medical society. Then they would have to have insurance or pay through the nose for a massage. That kind of regulation would make us way more money and put place like ME out of business. Then where would you go for stress relieve folks. You wouldn't even be able to get massaged at a Spa.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Heather Seal

87 months ago

Carrie SO true!! Ya know Vivian Mahonny Who started, wrote the book and close to perfected the medical massage area's, she was pushed to take it to the extreme of health insurance reconizing Massage as medical treatment. Comments like the one I responded to is only going to push it to the point of not being able to get a massage when you want it. THEN those other "massage therapist who love you long time hookers" Are going to be seen as back alley abortion doctors...HA!!
and the the person who says it's a joke...do it again..Ninja I wish you would

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

87 months ago

You know in Canada you have to go to massage school for 3 years. Then you work in the hospitals. The ones who give massages in the spas and resorts there are all Americans. Think about it we to Canucks are like Mexicans to us. If we only did medical massage like a bunch of other countries do these people who are complaining about massage wouldn't know what to do with themselves. They have gotten way to use to the service being out there. Think about having to go to Mexico to get massaged on a regular basis. Could you afford that? Could you afford their tips? And they do expect tips. You really need to think about how great you have it here in America.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

whatever in Beltsville, Maryland

87 months ago

Heather,

My point is that the massage industry needs to reqire a much higher level of education and training. Medical massage therapists should have at least a bachelors level education. They should be well educated in A&P, pathology, pharmacology and psychology. I also feel that massage therapist should be required to attend a certian amountof pychotherapy sessions since many seem to project their issues onto their clients. I personally do not know of any massage school in the United States that requires those subjects to be studied indepth. The massage industry should use physical therapy and the nursing profession as a guide for their industry. I don't think that the massage industry is going to make any great advances until they raise the educational requirements for massage therapists. And finally to address your last comment what I said may have been direct; however, it was far from "dumb". The fact of the matter is the massage industry is reaching a critical point that will cause it to more forward or spiral downhill. And instead of trying educate me perhaps you should educate yourself on what's happening within your own industry. Ralph Stephens is massage therapist who writes for Massage Today and talks extensively about all of these issues.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

F-Bomb in Los Angeles, California

87 months ago

Blah Blah Blah - would you all just stop crying and get real jobs!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

87 months ago

Actually I have an AOS in Massage Therapy. I have studied extensively. Why should I have to be paid 16 dollars per massage and nothing more. Why should I have to be told that tips are unprofessional. I have over 1000 hours just in modalities alone. I have over 1000 hours in A&P, Muscles, kinesiology, business, pathology, pharmacology, blood pressure, cpr, medical terminology, ethics ( which includes HIPAA) stress management, medical insurance, neuromuscular anatomy. Do I need to keep going? as you can see, MT's have alot of education. With 20,000 dollars spent on my education and an AOS, why should I be made to take a job that doesn't even pay me well. I went to school with nurses, PT's, chiropractors and their assistants. Think about it. I had an excellent education. I can massage scar tissue. Can you? Do you think that is fair pay for my education?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

87 months ago

Those who say tips are unprofessional and don't worry about money always seem to be the ones who do not to pay their employees anything and also they are rich. I have never heard a poor person say don't worry about the money.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.