Massage Envy experiences...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1001 to 1050 of 1549)
Page:  « First « Previous   18  19  20  21  22  23  24  Next »   Last »

No More Envy in Stoughton, Massachusetts

46 months ago

Maybe Pat likes the OTHER kind of massage...................

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Nason in Ellicott City, Maryland

46 months ago

Eric in Toronto, Ontario said: I'm curious about people's experience with Massage Envy. I hear a lot of negative comments especially with regards their pay scale. Has any therapist found working at Massage Envy to be a positive experience? Are you able to accept tips at Massage Envy? Are there other perks in working there in terms of professional development or benefits?

I started working at Massage Envy 8 months ago. I work their part-time and have a full time job somewhere else. I call the work that I do drive-thru massages because you barely have time enough to do a full body massage much less really help someone with their muscles. My day job treats their employees very well. I am shocked at how poorly Massage Envy treats their Massage Therapists. They pay their therapists a very, very low wage with no benefits. I know the Massage Envy that I work at packs people in on a daily basis so they can afford to pay their therapists a better wage. I am staying their for a year or two to get experience and then moving on to another place. My advice to anyone trying to decide whether or not to pursue Massage as a professional career would be that it is great part-time work but it is not a business that you would want to be doing full-time. You pay a lot of money to go to school and if you get stuck working at Massage Envy you probably wouldn't be able to pay your rent much less anything else. Choose another career.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Randall12 in Phoenix, Arizona

46 months ago

I was surpose to have a interview yesterday at Massage envy of 2nd street and bell at 12 pm. The lead massage therapist didnt show, I waited for 40 minutes, by then I was like do I really want to work at a place, that doesn't respect its therapist. My answer was no, I imformed the receptionist that if this guy wants to reschedule he should call me. Personally, I wanted to say, now I know why folks hate this place, there the Uhaul for the massage industry. They have affordable prices but there service sucks. On a business stand point, I don't see why people come and get massages here.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Grace in Kailua Kona, Hawaii

46 months ago

MASSAGE THERAPISTS NEED TO STICK TOGETHER AND NOT WORK FOR MASSAGE ENVY PERIOD!!!!
PUT THEM OUT OF BUSINESS. THEY ARE BRINGING DOWN THE INDUSTRY BY THERE LOW CLASS TACTICS.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

DOLORES in Austin, Texas

46 months ago

You are right Grace -- unfortunately it will never happen.

meowner in Denver, Colorado

46 months ago

Nason in Ellicott City, Maryland said: I started working at Massage Envy 8 months ago. I work their part-time and have a full time job somewhere else. I call the work that I do drive-thru massages because you barely have time enough to do a full body massage much less really help someone with their muscles. My day job treats their employees very well. I am shocked at how poorly Massage Envy treats their Massage Therapists. They pay their therapists a very, very low wage with no benefits. I know the Massage Envy that I work at packs people in on a daily basis so they can afford to pay their therapists a better wage. I am staying their for a year or two to get experience and then moving on to another place. My advice to anyone trying to decide whether or not to pursue Massage as a professional career would be that it is great part-time work but it is not a business that you would want to be doing full-time. You pay a lot of money to go to school and if you get stuck working at Massage Envy you probably wouldn't be able to pay your rent much less anything else. Choose another career.

Funny because full time Therapists at Massage Envy make upwards of $40K/year.

46 months ago

Well I decided to strike back at the evil empire. The next time there at my old school doing interviews I have a few questions of my own.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

DOLORES in Austin, Texas

46 months ago

Funny because full time Therapists at Massage Envy make upwards of $40K/year.

I don't believe that. To make 40K at $10 a massage, the therapist would have to do 4000 massages a year. Assuming the therapist took a 2 week vacation or 1 week + 5 holidays they would have to do 80 massages a week! So even if EVERY customer gave them a $10 tip (which does not happen), they would have to be do 8 massages a day 5 days a week to earn 40K.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

46 months ago

in Az they start out at 15hr, but they work you like a dog. Thats why they have a huge turn overrate. Plus management is run by a bunch of kids that have no real reason to be managers.

Fed up in Stoughton, Massachusetts

46 months ago

Are you on some kinda drugs or something? I've worked full time at ME for 4 Years and haven't made that much and I was the most requested therapist for 2 years. Your numbers are severely skewed.

46 months ago

client said: Hi. I am glad I found this forum.

I have limited financial resources (otherwise I would go to a deluxe spa which includes many amenities far and above the actual massage), but if I feel any pressure whatsoever to tip in addition to paying a membership fee, then I simply will not join Massage Envy.

I am shocked and disappointed to learn that a membership-based entity would even permit you to accept tips, let alone encourage them

well stupid the membership fee has nothing to do with the massage therapist. Its a service so tip accordingly The massage person is a contract employee, so yes you might have tip for a service cheap ass.You tip because the service was great,if not dnt tip. if you can't afford a massage don't get one.

46 months ago

Fed up in Stoughton, Massachusetts said: Are you on some kinda drugs or something? I've worked full time at ME for 4 Years and haven't made that much and I was the most requested therapist for 2 years. Your numbers are severely skewed.

I guess you better ask for a rise-because out here thats what they start you as. Why the hell would you take less-you might as well, go work for Nasa.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

46 months ago

well your not surpose to discuss how much you make at a job. I have sevral friends that make this wage, so Im sorry that you make less.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

DOLORES in Austin, Texas

46 months ago

well your not surpose to discuss how much you make at a job

Would someone tell me WHY you shouldn't discuss what you make. That is nothing more than an idea imposed upon us by management so that we wouldn't know we are being underpaid. I think everyone in crummy underpaid places should discuss there salaries and demand equal pay and fair wages.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

skaye84 in Edwardsville, Illinois

46 months ago

DOLORES in Austin, Texas said: well your not surpose to discuss how much you make at a job

Would someone tell me WHY you shouldn't discuss what you make. That is nothing more than an idea imposed upon us by management so that we wouldn't know we are being underpaid. I think everyone in crummy underpaid places should discuss there salaries and demand equal pay and fair wages.

it is my opinion that you should not discuss wage, because it is common & fair practice for exceptional employees to advance to a higher rate of pay. Demanding equal pay for all will result in lowering wages for all. Massage Envy is no different than private practice in the aspect that excellent therapists achieve a full practice & a good take home paycheck, a bad therapist complains about why it's everyone else's fault they're not making enough. & please spare me the thousand responses that try to calculate out for me how I make what I make. If you are not a current employee, bottom line is you don't really know. If you are a current employee & unhappy with your current management then take steps to improve said management or find another location that has their priorities straight & work to improve that location.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

46 months ago

You just answered the question. Because people get mad when you see that someone getting more money than you are. I told someone once and they flipped out.

Darin Rudd in Gilbert, Arizona

46 months ago

meowner in Denver, Colorado said: Funny because full time Therapists at Massage Envy make upwards of $40K/year.

(Why do people not use their full name in these forums?)
My best year at ME I earned well over $60,000(including tips)- that required working 6 days/week 8-10 hours/day. Most therapists there struggle to make $20K. I was one of the original hires of the ME in Chandler AZ and performed many thousands of hours of massage at the location over the course of 7 years. To my knowledge, there was never one complaint by a client. I watched the owners start their business with enthusiasm and high ideals. Like most businesses, they took a simple business and made it complex in the interest of increasing profits. I watched 8 or 9 managers come and go over the years - countless front office girls. Unfortunately for me, I am a little outspoken and was vocal about poor management and customer service. I was wrongly terminated one day (totally bogus BS - insecure Lead Therapist politics - long story - don't really care anymore) after 7 years of ethical (I never stole a client, unlike many co-workers) with superior customer service. When I left I was paid $21/hr, several days later they announced to the LMT's that pay would be capped at $18/hr. Hmmmm? I don't regret the experience I gained working for ME. I am highly experienced and skilled because of the sheer numbers of hours and bodies I serviced. Today I operate a wonderful private practice and contract in a health clinic at a major local employer. I don't work for less than $50/hr and am blessed to be able to provide gratis massage to people in need. If you're considering working there - be aware and know what you're getting into. If you are considering getting massage there - be REALLY aware of who they book you with, look at the TRUE pricing, then find yourself a reputable Independent Therapist who will care for you properly.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

46 months ago

I like what you said at the end of your statement. I think you really have to look at were you work at and whoom you work for. Are they good people or our they just in it for the money. I found out that Im not cut out to work in such places and must fly in my own direction. Plus having clients that value me is worth more then working at a place that doesn't value their staff. over the years I learned how to be a better person, by learning from people that don't respect their employee's. Plus money should never be a object in taking excellent care of someone. You work in the field because you care.

Brentwood location in Pittsburg, California

46 months ago

Eric in Toronto, Ontario said: I'm curious about people's experience with Massage Envy. I hear a lot of negative comments especially with regards their pay scale. Has any therapist found working at Massage Envy to be a positive experience? Are you able to accept tips at Massage Envy? Are there other perks in working there in terms of professional development or benefits?

In arriving for a badly needed massage I was informed not only was I late???? But the person I scheduled the message for 1.5 hrs did not do a 1.5 hr message??? How did I know the price I was quoted when I had never been there?? I requested a certain time when scheduling and was told it was not available?? Why on earth would I take off of work to go to an appointment and then be late? Young unexperienced people running the business that do not understand the value of some peoples time. Very disappointing. As far as the massage?? didnt have one, I left

46 months ago

@Eric I hear you on the young people doing caring about time. I had a interview a few weeks back for ME and the lead massage therapist was late. I was like I'll give you 15 minutes but not a whole hour. You set up the interview and then your late???? All the ME in Az our like this. people are never professional, especially to massage therapist looking for work.

meowner in Englewood, Colorado

46 months ago

Fed up in Stoughton, Massachusetts said: Are you on some kinda drugs or something? I've worked full time at ME for 4 Years and haven't made that much and I was the most requested therapist for 2 years. Your numbers are severely skewed.

$25K - $35K is more typical for full time therpaists but, yes, $40K happens. No, I'm not on drugs, thanks for asking. I do have the W-2s, though. If you are working 24+ shift hours a week and working evening and week-end shifts you will make that kind of money provided the clinic owner doesn't overstaff. I'm sure that doesn't fit the world view of many that post here but it is true, nonetheless.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jocelyn in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

46 months ago

I went to massage Envy for the first time last night. I noticed my MT's hands were shaking. Honestly, it was a wonderful massage and I've had many massages from various therapists. He was very good. But during my massage I could feel his hands shaking as well. I assume he is overworked. If I like him, I'd like to pay him the full 40 dollars or more, but I'm guessing he could get into some legal problems? I had mixed emotions about ME. The is a great price, but I didn't like seeing him overworked and underpaid. I did join as a member lastnight.

Fed up in Stoughton, Massachusetts

46 months ago

Jocelyn in Milwaukee, Wisconsin said: I went to massage Envy for the first time last night. I noticed my MT's hands were shaking. Honestly, it was a wonderful massage and I've had many massages from various therapists. He was very good. But during my massage I could feel his hands shaking as well. I assume he is overworked. If I like him, I'd like to pay him the full 40 dollars or more, but I'm guessing he could get into some legal problems? I had mixed emotions about ME. The is a great price, but I didn't like seeing him overworked and underpaid. I did join as a member lastnight.

You do have 72 hours to cancel your membership if you change your mind. You are not guarenteed to have that therapist, there are others there that might not give you the massage that you want.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

DOLORES in Austin, Texas

46 months ago

"The is a great price, but I didn't like seeing him overworked and underpaid."

The price isn't all that great. Do the math. What are you paying for a massage? I think $59 is the going rate for a member. You are only getting a 50 minute massage -- so you are paying over $1/min. There are plenty of very good therapists who will give you a full hour of massage for $60-65 and in a much nicer/less hurried atmosphere. You are getting billed each month whether you get a massage or not - that's a pretty bad deal. Your therapist is underpaid - so why support a business that exploits its workers? Cancel your membership and find yourself a good independent therapist. You will be much better off.

Grace in Kailua Kona, Hawaii

45 months ago

If you feel bad, why would you join as a member? I have no respect for anyone who patronizes these pimps. They are pimps trying to make a buck off of a skilled profession. They HAVE TO BE STOPPED!!
As a massage therapist, I would try to solicit the massage therapists at these places and get together and travel to the client's homes if necessary go together for safety and charge what you like. Get the addresses. Even IF YOU charge what Massage Envy is charging, how can the client turn you down if you are willing to drive to THEIR HOME TO DO THE MASSAGE? You will make more money and have the WRITEOFFS AS WELL> START NOW!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

45 months ago

Grace in Kailua Kona, Hawaii said: If you feel bad, why would you join as a member? I have no respect for anyone who patronizes these pimps. They are pimps trying to make a buck off of a skilled profession. They HAVE TO BE STOPPED!!
As a massage therapist, I would try to solicit the massage therapists at these places and get together and travel to the client's homes if necessary go together for safety and charge what you like. Get the addresses. Even IF YOU charge what Massage Envy is charging, how can the client turn you down if you are willing to drive to THEIR HOME TO DO THE MASSAGE? You will make more money and have the WRITEOFFS AS WELL> START NOW!!!![/QUOTE

Take your time and think about your decisions. From a legal and ethical view, the clients are Massage Envy's, not the therapists'. ME provides the location and means to perform the service. When a therapist accepts a job from ME they agree to not solicit ME's clients for their own business. Pragmatically, the clients have entered into their own contract with ME and few are willing to break it (even though they said "you are the best massage therapist ever....the only reason I come here is you....be sure to tell me if you ever leave").

If you're thinking of leaving, do it with integrity and confidence. Those clients who truly value your service will seek you out - Google is my friend:-) Do the right thing even if ME doesn't - then you'll sleep well at night while ME owners stress about steering a sinking ship on the wrong course.

ME No More in Lutz, Florida

45 months ago

Listen,
What is a client? Is the client a commodity to be traded like common stock? Is the client ME's private property? Are the clients the therapist's private property?

NO!
The clients are people. People who have the right to choose where they want to get a massage and from whom.

So, ME owners, you have no claim or rights to these people, these human beings that come to your establishment to either seek a pain relieving massage or to relax!

So fellow therapists, tell the people that you work on if you are leaving and where you are going. IF they wish to follow you, then that's wonderful. If they don't, they don't.

In the end it is the person (client) that decides where they want to go and who they want to see, NOT ME, NOT the Therapist.

My 2 cents.

dolores in Austin, Texas

45 months ago

I totally agree with the above 2 comments. Be careful what you do. If you have a website, your name is in the phone book, or there is some way the client can find you and he/she chooses to follow you, then there is nothing ME can do. However, your contract with ME says you will not solicit its clients. This is legal and from what I have been told ME does go after people. Asking your ME clients for personal info that allows you to contact them is a violation of your contract and therefore a crime. Whether that seems right or fair isn't important. The law will still consider it a crime. All it would take is for one person that you asked for their info to report it to management and you could be in big trouble. Let your clients know you are leaving, let them know you have a website and let it go. If they want to follow you they will. If they like ME, they will stay there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mike in Kissimmee, Florida

45 months ago

I have to say... I think massage therapy schools need at least one English course, judging by the apparent grasp most of the posts I've seen display of the language.

educated in Plainfield, Illinois

45 months ago

client said: The amount of money you pay to learn your PROFESSION, i.e. massage therapy, could not possibly be as much as a 4-year university degree or what a professional PHYSICAL THERAPIST pays to learn his or her profession.

Tips are unprofessional.

How ignorant and rude this comment is! It is very taxing on the body. Obviously you never went to school for massage therapy and have no idea how involved and how much is learned! School for one year costs $14K. Plus there is the cost of continuing education classes to learn different modalities and many other expenses. Don't be so ignorant and tip your therapist!

MT in Plainfield, Illinois

45 months ago

Owner/Clinic Administrator in Atlanta, Georgia said: I'm saddened to see so many massage therapists who feel so negatively about what Massage Envy is trying to accomplish. Our whole goal is to bring massage to the masses and to allow all people to benefit from a therapeutic massage session regardless of whether or not they make a ton of money. How could you expect any business to pay you more than half of what they make on a service? Especially when all you are require to provide is your talent. The Massage Envy's all over the nation are dolling out big bucks to provide you with a safe and professional environment to practice your trade in and you are basically crapping in the hand that feeds you. Not only that, but tell me one other company that goes out of it's way to provide continuing education classes for it's therapists, health insurance at no cost to the employee, and a life insurance policy to be paid out to your loved ones if anything were to happen to you? I find these comments selfish and unwarranted. But luckily for me, and the other owners and operators out there who are interested and extremely invested in bringing this concept to everyone, there are still therapists out there who do work at massage envy and value every client that they have the pleasure of touching. It's not always about the money per massage but the money overall and the abundance of people you get to help. I would love to see a site bashing the people who organize the legal aide branches throughout the country and doctors without borders, I doubt I would see any of their employees complaining about not being paid enough money to pay back their minimum of 8 YEARS of education.

You need massage therapist. They do not need you. This ship will sink when MT's realize they make more for their time and hard work without you. Over head is not that much. Lotion, sheets, blankets, and a car to get to the client..that's all that is needed and 1-2 diffrent types of tables.

45 months ago

Grace in Kailua Kona, Hawaii said: If you feel bad, why would you join as a member? I have no respect for anyone who patronizes these pimps. They are pimps trying to make a buck off of a skilled profession. They HAVE TO BE STOPPED!!
As a massage therapist, I would try to solicit the massage therapists at these places and get together and travel to the client's homes if necessary go together for safety and charge what you like. Get the addresses. Even IF YOU charge what Massage Envy is charging, how can the client turn you down if you are willing to drive to THEIR HOME TO DO THE MASSAGE? You will make more money and have the WRITEOFFS AS WELL> START NOW!!!!

Someone clearly in the know and who is not ignorant. Yay! Good for you. You are right! That is the way!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

45 months ago

anonymous anonmous in Freehold, New Jersey said: continuation
Regarding Interested Observer's questions about my Union I have many more details in mind that have not been released here and I am saving them as a big surprise for Massage Envy. Also, I have shared some of my business plan, but cannot share all of it as it would be a conflict of interst. The other day I did not mean to gobble up a whole page with my replies -- I might be more selective in responding rather than trying to answer everyone. I actually had another comment last night and could not get on -- I guess that is a safeguard of the system and is probably for the best in general. In the meantime, we massage therapists who agree with me, and work at Massage Envy can find other work -- look in jobs you are qualified to do, even if entry level, in addition to other massage jobs and consider quiting Massaage Envy without giving them any notice -- sign in, so they think you are there all day and then leave through the back door without even telling them -- and those of you who have not worked at Massage Envy, please do not as, even if you are making no money now and something from Massage Envy may seem better than nothing, you will likely end up making less money at Massage Envy as their greedy business model which is fueled by well meaning massage therapists who previously did not know better could ultimately reduce the number of massage companies out there making it even harder for you to find gainful positions in the field. The solution is to continue creating the educational climate necessary for Massage Envy not to be able to find therapists willing to work for them. As LMT/CMT from AZ pointed out, Massage Envy already has high amount of turnover. Next, they will have a high amount of unfilled job openings. :)

I concur!

45 months ago

Owner/Clinic Administrator in Atlanta, Georgia said: You are right that it is up to the individual franchisee on whether or not they provide health insurance benefits to their employees. Working for one ME could be completely different than working at another. I can't speak for any one but myself in saying that we do offer disability pay (not to be confused with paid sick leave, you'd be hard pressed to find that for any non salary position), health insurance, and holiday bonuses...

But the one thing I must ask is, for those of you who hate Massage Envy and what we stand for so much...why do you even take the job to begin with? All of you state that you worked for a Massage Envy at one point or another, why? My best guess is because you were just out of school and needed a job...and I would be willing to guess that with the venom most of you seem to be spitting here, you left without any sort of notice...it seems you were using us just as much as you claim we were using you.

Did it ever occur to you that is the MT was being paid fairly that they would not leave? You pay from what I hear an avg of $15.00. Did you know that the avg. base pay for an MT is $42.00/hr plus tip? You are undercutting the modality. You are like an insurance compnay is to nurses. I should know my Mom is an RN. An RN should make $40-50, but they are making as much as CNA's $25.00. As an administrator what do you do? Take appointments, do laundry, fill bottles, greet customers? I got news for you..anyone can do that even the MT! We have too! We don't need you. MT's will continue to leave you and word is already spreading like wild fire. I go to school now and I sure as hell won't be applying to ME from all the stuff I hear and neither will any of my classmates from a very highly respected school. You are way out of line!

45 months ago

you might be right about English courses. I would have like a marketing class as well.

dolores in Austin, Texas

45 months ago

Mike in Kissimmee, Florida said: I have to say... I think massage therapy schools need at least one English course, judging by the apparent grasp most of the posts I've seen display of the language.

I totally agree!

45 months ago

MT in Plainfield, Illinois said: Did it ever occur to you that is the MT was being paid fairly that they would not leave? You pay from what I hear an avg of $15.00. Did you know that the avg. base pay for an MT is $42.00/hr plus tip? You are undercutting the modality. You are like an insurance compnay is to nurses. I should know my Mom is an RN. An RN should make $40-50, but they are making as much as CNA's $25.00. As an administrator what do you do? Take appointments, do laundry, fill bottles, greet customers? I got news for you..anyone can do that even the MT! We have too! We don't need you. MT's will continue to leave you and word is already spreading like wild fire. I go to school now and I sure as hell won't be applying to ME from all the stuff I hear and neither will any of my classmates from a very highly respected school. You are way out of line!

Congratulations on pursuing a career as a Professional Massage Therapist. May you and your fellow classmates from a very highly respected school fulfill your dreams.

jpgr in Houston, Texas

45 months ago

Excellent!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jules in Round Lake, Illinois

45 months ago

To the owner in Atlanta Georgia. That was a great speech right out of the corporate handbook. Bravo on the originality. You say its not about money huh? Well Im fully aware of what the ME owners did on Susan G Cohman day this year. Increasing the massage price by $10 so you wouldnt actually lose any of the profit you had to donate. Thats disgusting and Im glad it was an utter failure this year. On the issue of insurance my owners have 3 ME's and offer me health insurance for $421 a month (thats before I get a physical) with crappy Aetna. Gee thanks for the deal. As far as providing a safe environment and helping the clients its really awesome when the owners tell the front desk to get the people in there under any circumstances, even when there sick or just had surgery and then fight with me about it when I tell them the client has to go home. How safe do I feel when I absolutely believe the company I work for would throw me under the bus if something actually happened to a client. If its not about money why do you make your clients sign a contract. If its not about money why do the people at the front desk get all there commission taken away if they dont sign at least 30% of the prospects. Talk about a crappy thing to do to somebody whos only making $8 to begin with. If its not about the money and you just care for your employees so much why cant they have a free massage every month instead of making them pay for it? If its not about the money why did you buy a Massage Envy? If you were so concerned about creating something wonderful and nice for people you would have opened a soup kitchen instead. People on here are not upset because ME doesnt help them make a "ton" of money. There upset because theyd like to live a decent life with the option to retire someday and thats just not going to happen when you cap the pay at $20 and dont give bonuses. You can write down any fluffy little fantasy you want but how about not crapping in the hands that feed you...

45 months ago

lady luv in Atlanta, Georgia said: I'm shocked and disappointed that I bust my tail to give people good work and not only does the company that I work for not want to pay me, but a client is complaining about tipping. But that's ok because the universe is an equalizer and if you don't want to pay for good work eventually people will stop caring and investing so much time and energy into developing their craft and good therapists will be hard to find. No one wants to pay $12000 to go to school and only make $300 a week. That's not even a living wage. So don't come to Massage Envy, hopefully they'll go out of business and the industry won't be so watered down. And their may not be as many therapist or as many clients but the therapist will be good and the clients will be appreciative. No one likes to be taken for granted.

Im self employed massage therapist-I had to inform a client about tipping. So time people don't know that were in the service industry. I had a person that tip me a dollar ever time. He thought since I charge at a certain rate -which was discounted that tipping me a dollar was ok. I said I could charge you the normal fee -this is for chair massage. $15 for 15 minutes. Im the same as a server and a barber so why would you only give me less than what you tip them. I always tip regardless.

45 months ago

What Jules in Round Lake, Illinois said is spot on. They ruined Susan G. Komen Day. Shame on them. Greedy %*&^@#+s. There will be a time when there are no more ME's. The school that I graduated from will no longer recommed ME as a place to work and they are actively discouraging their students from having anything to do with ME. What goes around comes around.

dolores in Austin, Texas

45 months ago

Bravo Jules!

jpgr in Houston, Texas

45 months ago

Way to go Jules!!!!

If someone in the Houston area knows the CA of the Galleria....Please let her know...she needs to stop gossiping about therapist to other therapist....It is getting back to me from clients and other therapist.
What would some of you do in a situation like this???
Not very professional of her.
Please let me know....any feedback?

45 months ago

jpgr in Houston, Texas said: Way to go Jules!!!!

If someone in the Houston area knows the CA of the Galleria....Please let her know...she needs to stop gossiping about therapist to other therapist....It is getting back to me from clients and other therapist.
What would some of you do in a situation like this???
Not very professional of her.
Please let me know....any feedback?

Well, if it was me, I'd try the owner. Tell him/her what's going on. And how unprofessional it is. If that doesn't work, Talk to CG Funke. She's the corporate VP in charge of therapist developement. And she's an LMT too.

If all that doesn't work, take her out back and have a nice "talk" with her.

factorygirl in Charlottesville, Virginia

45 months ago

I work as a therapist at ME. Before being hired, I asked what the pay structure was like. It wasn't exactly what I had hoped so I NEGOTIATED. With my skills and backround I can demand a higher wage. From what I can tell, ME pays different depending on location and the discretion of the franchise owner. I have worked in spas before and there is a lot of competition out there. Sometimes your books are bare if a new place opens up down the street and offers coupons, etc. At least with ME I am overflowing with members and I can alter my schedule to my liking which is almost unheard of in the regular spa world. ME is not right for everyone, including members and employees. However most of the therapists at the location I work at seem pretty satisfied. Regarding the pay, I would not have taken the job, or any job for that matter if I felt I was being underpaid. That's just stupid. My one complaint is that I don't find it necessary to force therapists to buy their own liability insurance. It should be a choice IMO.

45 months ago

factorygirl in Charlottesville, Virginia said: I work as a therapist at ME. Before being hired, I asked what the pay structure was like. It wasn't exactly what I had hoped so I NEGOTIATED. With my skills and backround I can demand a higher wage. From what I can tell, ME pays different depending on location and the discretion of the franchise owner. I have worked in spas before and there is a lot of competition out there. Sometimes your books are bare if a new place opens up down the street and offers coupons, etc. At least with ME I am overflowing with members and I can alter my schedule to my liking which is almost unheard of in the regular spa world. ME is not right for everyone, including members and employees. However most of the therapists at the location I work at seem pretty satisfied. Regarding the pay, I would not have taken the job, or any job for that matter if I felt I was being underpaid. That's just stupid. My one complaint is that I don't find it necessary to force therapists to buy their own liability insurance. It should be a choice IMO.

Well, I am glad you are happy where you are. I was too for the first two years.
Ummmmmmmmmm. liability insurance is your responsibility as well as any licenses and CEU's. The license requires you to have insurance. I am going to assume you are licensed, right?
So the point is moot. You need insurance to maintian your license, end of discussion.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

45 months ago

ME No More in Lutz, Florida said: What Jules in Round Lake, Illinois said is spot on. They ruined Susan G. Komen Day. Shame on them. Greedy %*&^@#+s. There will be a time when there are no more ME's. The school that I graduated from will no longer recommed ME as a place to work and they are actively discouraging their students from having anything to do with ME. What goes around comes around.

Hey Jules-can't believe this place would exploit someone that has cancer. You would think someone would sit outside a ME with a shame on you sign. My school or old school supports ME,unfortunatly. They host interview sessions all the time, but when you go down for a practical they treat you like crap. So my new plan is to interview them and put them on the spot. If you think about it, alot of schools have the same issue-its greed. They push students out that really shouldnt be in the health field.
ME makes a hell of alot of money off people-that either dnt care there because its cheap or dnt know about the slum lord wages-I always make it my job to tell folks about ME. Support the self employed massage therapist.

Rolinda in Chula Vista, California

45 months ago

Of course it's about the money. ME is no different than any other business....Food Industry, Legal Industry, Housing Industry, Health Industry, etc. Business = Money. Without money, no business can be sustained, resulting in employee layoffs, financial bankruptcy, and business closure. Unhappy employees can be found in all Professions....(MDs)Physicians, (RNs)Nurses, (RTs)Respiratory Therapists, (MTs)Massage Therapists, etc. all work hard. Feeling unappreciated and under paid is not unique to MTs. No job is perfect. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

waterviola in Denver, Colorado

45 months ago

i am a massage therapist and i have had a massage at massage envy -
it was ok to good
-
i would probably never work there however - just the name - massage "envy" - seems negative -

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

45 months ago

Rolinda in Chula Vista, California said: Of course it's about the money. ME is no different than any other business....Food Industry, Legal Industry, Housing Industry, Health Industry, etc. Business = Money. Without money, no business can be sustained, resulting in employee layoffs, financial bankruptcy, and business closure. Unhappy employees can be found in all Professions....(MDs)Physicians, (RNs)Nurses, (RTs)Respiratory Therapists, (MTs)Massage Therapists, etc. all work hard. Feeling unappreciated and under paid is not unique to MTs. No job is perfect. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

@ Rolinda-You dnt have to screw people over to obtain money. Money will always be there know matter how big or small the business. If your hosting a fundraiser in honor of someone's name all proceeds go to that individual not your business-tips including. I provided chair massage and supported a charity back in July and made $100 in donations-everything went to the charity. Not my pocket. I have integrity and my bond is may word.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « First « Previous   18  19  20  21  22  23  24  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.