Massage Envy experiences...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1051 to 1100 of 1549)
Page:  « First « Previous   19  20  21  22  23  24  25  Next »   Last »

Rolinda

45 months ago

Randall12 in Phoenix, Arizona said: @ Rolinda-You dnt have to screw people over to obtain money. Money will always be there know matter how big or small the business. If your hosting a fundraiser in honor of someone's name all proceeds go to that individual not your business-tips including. I provided chair massage and supported a charity back in July and made $100 in donations-everything went to the charity. Not my pocket. I have integrity and my bond is may word.

Yeah, just like the Housing and Loan Industry doesn't have to screw people over. Many individuals are facing foreclosure on their homes. The Insurance Industry didn't have to screw people over when Katrina destroyed their homes. Many have been denied the funds to rebuild. The Red Cross didn't have to screw people over when they embezzled donated funds. The point is, although it's morally wrong, it happens in every Industry. It's not exclusive to the Massage Industry. The money is not always there, so many businesses have already gone bankrupt and closed. Circuit City is one example. Banks, Hospitals, Restaurants, Auto Lots, etc. have closed as well, leaving many people unemployed. Our current economy is effecting every industry. None is exempt. I wish all the best for everyone and enjoy the journey.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Randall12 in Phoenix, Arizona

45 months ago

Rolinda said: Yeah, just like the Housing and Loan Industry doesn't have to screw people over. Many individuals are facing foreclosure on their homes. The Insurance Industry didn't have to screw people over when Katrina destroyed their homes. Many have been denied the funds to rebuild. The Red Cross didn't have to screw people over when they embezzled donated funds. The point is, although it's morally wrong, it happens in every Industry. It's not exclusive to the Massage Industry. The money is not always there, so many businesses have already gone bankrupt and closed. Circuit City is one example. Banks, Hospitals, Restaurants, Auto Lots, etc. have closed as well, leaving many people unemployed. Our current economy is effecting every industry. None is exempt. I wish all the best for everyone and enjoy the journey.

I dnt know where you were going with this. I thought we were talking about ME not the while planet. I've worked manying jobs throughtout the years. Yes, I agree with people screwing people over. It doesn't make it right. That's the main reason this country and other countries are in the$@^% hole in now. Because of greed. Im not a greedy person, I came from a poor family. ME is one of the leaders in the massage industry. They have businesses all over the United States, why would you try to capitalize off someone that has cancer. They are already making millions off the person by bringing in new clients. In my practice, its not about the money, because without the people you dnt have the latter.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

massage instructor in Aurora, Colorado

45 months ago

ME No More in Lutz, Florida said: Well, if it was me, I'd try the owner. Tell him/her what's going on. And how unprofessional it is. If that doesn't work, Talk to CG Funke. She's the corporate VP in charge of therapist developement. And she's an LMT too.

If all that doesn't work, take her out back and have a nice "talk" with her.

Gossip about other therapists is unprofessional, about clients is illegal. However, the best thing to say when someone passes the gossip on to you is " I wonder what they are saying about you?"

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

Eaner

45 months ago

Frankly, I find the "screwing people over" comments extremely selfish, not to mention stupid.
Why don't we all just go downtown into the worst neighborhood of our cities and shoot someone? Hey, someone else did it.....so let's all go with that thought process, because it is sooooo very caring and intellectual. I gag at the fact that you're a CMT. We don't need uncaring people in any health field, there's already plenty, thank you. Way to help out your profession by eluding to the fact that it's ever ok to "screw" anyone over, especially when we're in a business of relaxation, trust and (what should be) an HONEST will to
help. Don't be so jaded by life, looking over your shoulder is no fun. Love, and you'll be loved back. Thrive on negativity and you'll recieve negative results.
Happy new year everyone....Sorry for the motivation speech but that nonsense just struck a chord!

ME No More in Lutz, Florida

45 months ago

So I guess ME is thriving on negativity............

massage instructor in Aurora, Colorado

45 months ago

Owner/Clinic Administrator in Atlanta, Georgia said: You are right that it is up to the individual franchisee on whether or not they provide health insurance benefits to their employees. Working for one ME could be completely different than working at another. I can't speak for any one but myself in saying that we do offer disability pay (not to be confused with paid sick leave, you'd be hard pressed to find that for any non salary position), health insurance, and holiday bonuses...

But the one thing I must ask is, for those of you who hate Massage Envy and what we stand for so much...why do you even take the job to begin with? All of you state that you worked for a Massage Envy at one point or another, why? My best guess is because you were just out of school and needed a job...and I would be willing to guess that with the venom most of you seem to be spitting here, you left without any sort of notice...it seems you were using us just as much as you claim we were using you.

I am a massage therapist of 17 years and male. The owner here makes an excellent point. Let me state it a different way. If you are not willing to take the time and effort to market yourself like your school taught you. Seek the help of a marketing professional and take responsibility for your life, profession and business, then you need a job. Massage Envy provides jobs and education for the public that massage is a good option to stress. For that you pay a premium, about two thirds of what you should be paid. So until you sign the lease and print the cards and buy the lotion and get an accountant and proudly say what you do for a living, take the job. A job is security until you are brave enough to go out into the world.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No Reply - Report abuse

Rolinda in Chula Vista, California

45 months ago

Randall12 in Phoenix, Arizona said: I dnt know where you were going with this. I thought we were talking about ME not the while planet. I've worked manying jobs throughtout the years. Yes, I agree with people screwing people over. It doesn't make it right. That's the main reason this country and other countries are in the$@^% hole in now. Because of greed. Im not a greedy person, I came from a poor family. ME is one of the leaders in the massage industry. They have businesses all over the United States, why would you try to capitalize off someone that has cancer. They are already making millions off the person by bringing in new clients. In my practice, its not about the money, because without the people you dnt have the latter.

Randall12 in Phoenix, Arizona
1 day ago
Rolinda in Chula Vista, California said: Of course it's about the money. ME is no different than any other business....Food Industry, Legal Industry, Housing Industry, Health Industry, etc. Business = Money. Without money, no business can be sustained, resulting in employee layoffs, financial bankruptcy, and business closure. Unhappy employees can be found in all Professions....(MDs)Physicians, (RNs)Nurses, (RTs)Respiratory Therapists, (MTs)Massage Therapists, etc. all work hard. Feeling unappreciated and under paid is not unique to MTs. No job is perfect. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
@ Rolinda-You dnt have to screw people over to obtain money. Money will always be there know matter how big or small the business. If your hosting a fundraiser in honor of someone's name all proceeds go to that individual not your business-tips including. I provided chair massage and supported a charity back in July and made $100 in donations-everything went to the charity. Not my pocket. I have integrity and my bond is may word.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

45 months ago

Eaner said: Frankly, I find the "screwing people over" comments extremely selfish, not to mention stupid.
Why don't we all just go downtown into the worst neighborhood of our cities and shoot someone? Hey, someone else did it.....so let's all go with that thought process, because it is sooooo very caring and intellectual. I gag at the fact that you're a CMT. We don't need uncaring people in any health field, there's already plenty, thank you. Way to help out your profession by eluding to the fact that it's ever ok to "screw" anyone over, especially when we're in a business of relaxation, trust and (what should be) an HONEST will to
help. Don't be so jaded by life, looking over your shoulder is no fun. Love, and you'll be loved back. Thrive on negativity and you'll recieve negative results.
Happy new year everyone....Sorry for the motivation speech but that nonsense just struck a chord!

Never said it was okay. In fact I said it is morally wrong. The point is, it happens in every Industry. Repeat, it's not exclusive to the Massage Industry/ME. ME is no different than any other business.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

male therapist in Aurora, Colorado

45 months ago

I have worked for Massage Envy before and would go back. I enjoyed my experience there, the owner and other employees were wonderful to work with. Any employee that worked there was charged $20 for a massage unless it wasn't busy then the therapists were allowed to trade. I never had any complaints about my work, I even had a few requests. my favorite complement I got was at Massage Envy the client said "that it felt like I had been doing massage for 20 years" when I had only been working for less than 6 months. I understand it is harder to book male therapists as most people aren't comfortable with a man touching and working on their bodies, which makes it harder for male therapists to gain employment.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

45 months ago

Happy New Year everyone!.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

DadMike in Maryland

45 months ago

Rolinda in Chula Vista, California said: Never said it was okay. In fact I said it is morally wrong. The point is, it happens in every Industry. Repeat, it's not exclusive to the Massage Industry/ME. ME is no different than any other business.

And it will continue to happen until the company goes out of business. I've said this several times- until MTs can form a powerful professional organizaiton that can enforce high educational and licensing standards across the nation consistently, business like ME- and there are other chains very similar- will continue to thrive.
Many states don't require a license or EDUCATION to say you are an MT; most of the other states only require 600 hours of education;
as long as massage schools are able to crank out lots of fresh, young graduates hungry to start for any kind of salary, wages offered will be low, because the owners know they will always have a staff.
Raise credentials, you lower the number of professionals; less workers, more competition between employers to hire them- better salary for workers.
ME thrives because it can. For every fed-up MT that refuses to work there, there are probably 5 new graduates that do a decent job and are hungry for a job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

mop in Houston, Texas

45 months ago

If you do unionize and get more money, you will make it harder for massage envy to make money, they will hten lay other workers off and maybe even go under. How does that help anyone?[

QUOTE who="anonymous anonmous in Freehold, New Jersey"]Massage Therapists (no more),
Thanks for your complements and I hope you contacted that union I mentioned. You verbalized so well the situation the field is experiencing when in addition our common Massage Envy problem, but when you mention how it feels that the professional associations all have their hand out. Each time it is for about $200.00. That is sad, but is the beauty of my massage union idea. If we had a union dedicated for massage people, and it was well marketed (just imagine what a post of a great web site on here could do), I predict that hundreds of thousands of massage therapists would join just as they joined ABMP or AMTA. I do not know all of the legalities of starting a union, and I would like to do this to help the field and to make a huge profit or salary depending upon what is legal, but I put the idea out here to help the field even if you or someone else takes the idea and runs with it as I have invested a lot in my own massage company which is fairly new and cannot afford to start a massage union right now.
Members of the union would have the freedom not to follow advice such as strike on a certain day, as they are individuals, but the union would be more effective when massage therapists act as unified group like a voting block. For now, I reuest that all massage therapists currently working at Massage Envy call out sick at their next shift.
By the way, I like helping the client too. I like when I am able to make knots go away and for the client to enjoy the massage, so they come back again.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

ex-envier in Halbur, Iowa

44 months ago

Hi, I have worked for 2 Massage Envys....Clive Iowa and Myrtle Beach. If you are a male therapist, do not even consider Massage Envy as a career. As for ladies, beware as well. The problem, is since it is a "franchise", the owners are usually investors, with zero experience in Massage. Their concern is the bottom line, and the therapists suffer. Say you are scheduled noon to 6 pm, and have 3 bookings, you sit the other 3 hours and make ZERO dollars, even tho you are ready, willing and able to work. ME benefits by having you there to cover in case someone shows, but it doesn't cost them anything to have you there, it is strictly commission, so the investors could care less about the therapists. Also, you can be there 2 years, and make the same $15 per as the gal they hired yesterday. The booking process is usually bogus, with the girl making $8 hour deciding whether to book her girlfriend in the back or the guy she doesn't like...the management in Myrtle Beach really sucks. The admisitrator signed off on a therapist who had forgotten to get CEU's, therefore allowing the therapist to work on paying customers when she should have been suspended, but they were friends, so there goes her credibility out the window. Also, they hire waaaaay too many therapists (remember, it costs them nothing to have you there) to cover in case the phone rings...we have had as many as 6 therapists sitting at the same time. My advice....gather enough money to open your own little place, Massage Envy is bad news, take it from someone who has been there! Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Happy NonEnvious Therapist in Miami, Florida

44 months ago

DON'T WORK AT MASSAGE ENVY FOR LONG....TELL THEM TO "TAKE THIS JOB & SHOVE IT"....I WAS NOT WILLING TO WORK ON CLIENTS SICK LIKE THE OTHER THERAPISTS..NOT WILLING SIGN ANY ILLEGAL CONTRACTS...NOT WILLING TO LET MANAGEMENT THREATEN ME ANYMORE...THERE'S LIFE AFTER ENVY...OTHER PLACES WILL PAY YOU UP TO 2 to 3X MORE PER MASSAGE, YOU MAY DO LESS MASSAGES, BUT YOU WON'T BURN YOURSELF OUT AS MUCH...AND BY WORKING SOMEWHERE ELSE, YOU CAN ALSO DEVELOP AND OUTSIDE PRIVATE PRACTICE...
THERAPISTS DESERVE TO BE TREATED WELL AS EMPLOYEES AND THE UNPROFESSIONAL MANAGERS AT THESE MASSAGE ENVY CLINICS DON'T TREAT STAFF WITH ANY RESPECT...So why are THEY ALWAYS LOOKING FOR EMPLOYEES? DAY ONE YOU'RE TOLD YOU'RE REPLACEABLE & TO KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT.. THEIR IDEA OF AN "OPEN DOOR POLICY" IS THAT IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM OR COMPLAINT OR EVEN A SITUATION THAT NEEDS FIXING AS AN EMPLOYEE,,, THEN THERE'S THE DOOR. THEY HAVE SO MUCH TURNOVER THAT NO WONDER THEY ARE THE MCDONALDS OF THE INDUSTRY...THEY EVEN DO ILLEGAL THREATS AND EXPECT EMPLOYEES TO SIT AROUND UNPAID WHEN NOT BOOKED...THEY DON'T ALWAYS GIVE YOU BREAKS OR PAY YOU APPROPRIATELY FOR TRAINING OR SET UP TIME...THEY MAKE THE THERAPISTS WORK ON CLIENTS WHEN THE CLIENTS OR THERAPISTS ARE SICK...THEY DON'T ALLOW EMPLOYEES TO CALL OUT SICK OR CHANGE THEIR SCHEDULES WHEN THEY HAVE A FAMILY EMERGENCY...AND THE LIST GOES ON & ON....JUST GET OUT IN TIME SO YOU CAN REMEMBER WHY YOU BECAME A THERAPIST IN THE FIRST PLACE...THESE PLACES DON'T PROMOTE HEALTH AND WELLNESS JUST CORPORATE GREED! YOU CAN MAKE MONEY ELSEWHERE DOING MASSAGE FOR THE RIGHT REASONS TO HELP OTHERS RELAX, DESTRESS, RELIEVE PAIN, ETC....(the volume factory like atmosphere at these clinics is noisey, in & out, besides being dirty, and virus infested).

tx_massage_girl in Arlington, Texas

44 months ago

Sorry if my post is off topic in any way. I'm new to this site and just wanted to share my Massage Envy LMT exp. for 2 years there. The location is Grand Prairie in Texas. We have no insurance, no sick leave, no paid vacation, no free CEU courses NOTHING is free not even our uniforms! We are maxed out at $16.00 per hour as we work like dogs risking damage to our on bodies as required to keep our jobs there! I have noticed a very high turnover rate in every department and it causes the whole system of the business functioning to fail! We always have to pull our own client files and there is never time to use the bathroom between massages. 5 minutes to clean our room-change sheets, wash up, get the next client in and interviewed undressed and on the table! NO WAY! It is a stressful job! Why do the good therapists always get picked on until they quit or get fired for a stupid reason, like being sick and not giving 24 hours notice in advance to calling in sick? Who makes a rule like that? We are required to give 24 hours notice before we call in sick! That is just insane when a clinet can call in and cancel 2 hours before the appointment and we dont get paid! There should be a law that e get paid at least minimum wage for the hours we sit up there and have nothing booked! Some days we get slammed and then other days we get next to nothing! We had a rate increase but none of our therapists got raises! WHats up with that? $59.00 per massage - $16.00 for our wageswhat is the other $43.00 going to? I could rent a nice place and hire a great receptionist for $43.00 per hour! All that has hit me recently I cannot believe how screwed I feel! I just wish I wasnt scared to be without a job! With the economy like it is ...I feel scared to make a change but on that same token I cannot continue to be abused and used like this!

Darren in Rogers, Minnesota

44 months ago

You have the same concerns thousands of MT's nationwide have. There is a company out their right now with more demand than they can fill. They pay twice the wages as ME and they provided resource you will never get at your typical franchise. They are located in 12 states currently but are blowing the doors off all other franchises. They will help train you, place you, and even fill your book. You get to work in a medical environment along side doctors who value your efforts and work with you in patient/client care. Look then up then call to find out how they can help you. This is the best program I've ever expericed for most MT's. They are Massage Advantage Inc.

Good luck and enjoy your field, millions of people count on you to help them everyday.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Jules in Woodstock, Illinois

44 months ago

Might I ask what the average pay is and do they offer health benefits of any kind?

Darren in Minneapolis, Minnesota

44 months ago

Up to $30 per/hr on none insurance or cash massages plus tips. Some centers pay more on certain insurance massages due to extra noting and specic work for the patient. $35 per/hr is what I hear is reported. Each center offers different benefits but since Massage Advantage centers are only located in Chiropractic offices most offer free treatment on any services provided within the practice. This alone is thousands of dollars worth of service as and employee of the clinic.

Jules in Woodstock, Illinois

44 months ago

: ) Thats the kind of news I like to hear. Ive been been puting extra hours towards my medical massage certification in hopes that it will earn me some extra coin. Medical work is what I really enjoy. I definitely have some hope for the future now. Too bad all of the facilities are about 3 hours south of me. Thanks for the heads up though. Ill definitely keep an eye out for any new ones that sprout up.

St3Lew521 in Ossining, New York

44 months ago

Eric in Toronto, Ontario said: I'm curious about people's experience with Massage Envy. I hear a lot of negative comments especially with regards their pay scale. Has any therapist found working at Massage Envy to be a positive experience? Are you able to accept tips at Massage Envy? Are there other perks in working there in terms of professional development or benefits?

Any franchise is only as good as the franchisee. If the owners are decent and understand the importance of massage therapy beyond the dollar amount it can be a great experience at Massage Envy. My only problem is the fact that clients give gratuities only on the price they acctually pay and not the value of the service.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

John Larkin in Denver, Colorado

44 months ago

The biggest problem with a gratuity is that it is a gift we learn to evaluate ourselves with. In truth, no one can pay us what a massage is worth. After 17 years in the massage business and being male, I find that those that used Massage Envy as a stepping stone found it a great place to be, those that were looking for a hand out, found their hands empty.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Darren in Cabot, Arkansas

44 months ago

Jules in Woodstock, Illinois said: : ) Thats the kind of news I like to hear. Ive been been puting extra hours towards my medical massage certification in hopes that it will earn me some extra coin. Medical work is what I really enjoy. I definitely have some hope for the future now. Too bad all of the facilities are about 3 hours south of me. Thanks for the heads up though. Ill definitely keep an eye out for any new ones that sprout up.

If you ever choose to breakout let us know we are always looking for GREAT staff to place in a Massage Advantage location. It’s not that uncommon to find a good fit within a new clinic once a candidate has presented themselves. We are always here to help, feel free to email us and well do all we can to help you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Darren in Cabot, Arkansas

44 months ago

For those looking, and willing to make an impact your might want to review this option. Massage Advantage will be franchising this year to the right candidate with the opportunity to own a "Master" territory. What does this mean? You would be working with Massage Advantage to set up a massage program within clinical offices. You would sell, support, and maintain these offices thru training and coaching. It’s a very exciting opportunity for the right candidate with the right skill set. You would be instrumental in helping hire and mentoring other massage therapist. We are 110% in support of therapist in all locations and we together can change the industry forever. The cost for a territory is much less than you might think, and can be completely supported with a home based office. So if you tired of the complaints and really want to make a difference just check out this rapidly expanding company.www.massageadvantage.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Raena Hernandez in Marietta, Georgia

44 months ago

I've been working front desk for the Massage Envy in Kennesaw, GA for 2 years now. I definitely understand a lot of where most of you are coming from but the fact of the matter is, every Massage Envy is different. We have had therapists leave, go to another Massage Envy and then come right back because they didn't like how they were treated at the other clinics. Our owner here does everything in her power to make sure our therapists are comfortable. If you need a day off, you get it. Insurance, you got it. Going to be late one day? No problem. Need a break? You let us know when and its done. Want a raise? We do require a performance review but nine times out of ten you would get it. If you need a loan for gas money or something, you even get that. Speaking from a front desk prospective, there are a lot of things that therapists DO NOT have to do at this clinic. For instance, therapists here DO NOT have to do their own laundry, fill their own creams or lotions, clean their rooms, most of them don't even have to clean up after themselves, all they have to do here is massage. I can't tell you how many times therapists at this clinic have called me lazy for doing almost everything for them, except for actually giving their guest a massage, because I asked them to not have the trash can in the break room overflow or the sheets in the linen room not burst out of the bag. I have had therapists here complain because someone left them a twenty dollar tip for a two hour session. No offense, but that is a usual gratuity. We can't make a guest tip more than what they want to. Technically, they don't have to tip you at all. We at the front desk here do as much as we can to make sure that you can perform at your best and we take a lot of slack for it. When a client is unsatisfied with their massage, you don't get yelled at, we do. We still make sure that you get paid for your work when someone complains or doesn't show up.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

44 months ago

(Continued)
We have been open for almost four years and have therapists that have been here since day one and still love being here. So obviously, you should check the reviews of the clinic that you want to work for because not all Massage Envy's are bad. We are a great example of that fact and if you choose to work with Massage Envy Kennesaw, you will be treated with the utmost respect and dignity.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

jpgr in Houston, Texas

44 months ago

Raena Hernandez in Marietta, Georgia said: (Continued)
We have been open for almost four years and have therapists that have been here since day one and still love being here. So obviously, you should check the reviews of the clinic that you want to work for because not all Massage Envy's are bad. We are a great example of that fact and if you choose to work with Massage Envy Kennesaw, you will be treated with the utmost respect and dignity.

Raena Hernandez
WOW!
Sounds Awesome....!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jpgr in Houston, Texas

44 months ago

Raena Hernandez

WOW.....Sound Awesome!!!
Wish we were under your owners and had you at the front desk!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

44 months ago

jpgr in Houston, Texas said: Raena Hernandez

WOW.....Sound Awesome!!!
Wish we were under your owners and had you at the front desk!

Honestly, you really should learn to take constructive criticism and your sarcasm really doesn't help you either.

Obviously, you didn't understand my point. There is a lot of bashing on this site from people that have had a negative experience with Massage Envy, a specific owner or clinic, but just because you have one bad experience with one clinic does not mean that every clinic is bad or will treat you disrespectfully. We are all adults here, however, some of you need to learn to act like one.

skaye84 in Collinsville, Illinois

44 months ago

Gotta say I didn't hear sarcasm in jpgr's comment...But I want to thank Raena for a front desk perspective. It does most definitely depend on the owners & management to determine what kind of work environment there is at a clinic. & if you don't like something at the clinic you're already working for then step up & take the leadership role to make it better. It takes some knowledge of office politics, but when said the right way most owners would be receptive to positive changes. Maybe I'm wrong, but if you're upset enough to be on here voicing your dissatisfactions then try respectfully voicing possible solutions to your management team. Maybe one day we will turn the tables & there will be more good clinics than there are bad. IT's a goal anyhow :)

massmn911@yahoo.com in New Port Richey, Florida

44 months ago

client said: Hi. I am glad I found this forum.

I have limited financial resources (otherwise I would go to a deluxe spa which includes many amenities far and above the actual massage), but if I feel any pressure whatsoever to tip in addition to paying a membership fee, then I simply will not join Massage Envy.

I am shocked and disappointed to learn that a membership-based entity would even permit you to accept tips, let alone encourage them

Do members tip their caddy's at Country clubs, do they tip the wait staff there, does a yacht club member tip the worker who docks and secure's his Boat?
The answer to all is YES! TIPPING is always up to you, However, if u tip a waitress just for delivering your food, which is cooked by someone else, why not tip someone who just spent an hour giving you the best feeling, other then your husband or wife, you've had with there hands. Like I said it's up to YOU.

44 months ago

Do members tip their caddy's at Country clubs, do they tip the wait staff there, does a yacht club member tip the worker who docks and secure's his Boat?
The answer to all is YES! TIPPING is always up to you, However, if u tip a waitress just for delivering your food, which is cooked by someone else, why not tip someone who just spent an hour giving you the best feeling, other then your husband or wife, you've had with there hands. Like I said it's up to YOU.

44 months ago

Raena Hernandez in Marietta, Georgia said: Honestly, you really should learn to take constructive criticism and your sarcasm really doesn't help you either.

Obviously, you didn't understand my point. There is a lot of bashing on this site from people that have had a negative experience with Massage Envy, a specific owner or clinic, but just because you have one bad experience with one clinic does not mean that every clinic is bad or will treat you disrespectfully. We are all adults here, however, some of you need to learn to act like one.

I agree with you Raena. Wish you were in Florida. I worked for Tampa Marriott for 10 years and one of the most important worker's are the front desk people. Being a Male LMT they can either make u or break you.
I'm not a fan of Massage Envey but, like you said, there are good/bad owner's
just like LMT's.

Sonia in Cabot, Arkansas

44 months ago

To understand tipping you must understand the Envy model. It’s like a gym membership. The gym doesn’t want you to come workout, they want your monthly dues. They know darn good and well that they will sell a ton of memberships in Jan only for ½ of those to stop coming within 60 days. Ask around you will see over 70% of everyone who has a membership only goes and average of 2 months of the year or 24 times max. So they know that part of the revenue stream will come from those who don’t show up, as well as a small fee for those that due. If you take the amount of memberships that need to be sold in order to show and sustain profits they only have a few viable options. 1) cut overhead. What cost more business profits than all others??? Wages. So they payless and require the MT to make up the difference of a livable way in the form of “Tips”. Thus the reason you will find a lot of new grads cutting teeth at Envy and then moving on to other locations once they hone their massage skills. There are business out there that still sell massage at a discount who are not dependent on this premises, but you will need to seek them out.

Sonia in Cabot, Arkansas

44 months ago

skaye84 in Collinsville, Illinois said: Gotta say I didn't hear sarcasm in jpgr's comment...But I want to thank Raena for a front desk perspective. It does most definitely depend on the owners & management to determine what kind of work environment there is at a clinic. & if you don't like something at the clinic you're already working for then step up & take the leadership role to make it better. It takes some knowledge of office politics, but when said the right way most owners would be receptive to positive changes. Maybe I'm wrong, but if you're upset enough to be on here voicing your dissatisfactions then try respectfully voicing possible solutions to your management team. Maybe one day we will turn the tables & there will be more good clinics than there are bad. IT's a goal anyhow :)

There are bad owners, as well as poor staff. Each has their own contribution to the problem. I can tell you that every employee ought to have to run and operation at their own expense a business to see the hard work is and risk most owners take on to employ them. On the same hand I see some staff that bust butt for their employers and are worth their weight in gold. Yet in the same facility you can have employs who don’t show up for work, or feel some since of entitlement for their efforts. To me this is very simple. Employers have the right to terminate someone who is unwilling or unable to perform. Employees you have two feet and you have the right with reasonable notice to leave your employment and seek other gainful work. But for gosh sakes don’t accept the position and then complain about what’s required! If you agreed to the compensation then do the job or leave. Employers need to treat their staff with respect and dignity, but if your staff is not compatible with your goals and those expectations have been laid out on the front end. Well terminate the relationship. Business can’t pay out more than they take in, and most operators take sizable risk employin

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

jpgr in Houston, Texas

44 months ago

skaye84 in Collinsville, Illinois said: Gotta say I didn't hear sarcasm in jpgr's comment...But I want to thank Raena for a front desk perspective. It does most definitely depend on the owners & management to determine what kind of work environment there is at a clinic. & if you don't like something at the clinic you're already working for then step up & take the leadership role to make it better. It takes some knowledge of office politics, but when said the right way most owners would be receptive to positive changes. Maybe I'm wrong, but if you're upset enough to be on here voicing your dissatisfactions then try respectfully voicing possible solutions to your management team. Maybe one day we will turn the tables & there will be more good clinics than there are bad. IT's a goal anyhow :)

I was not at all trying to be sarcastic .....I think your post was excellent.

supernavy84 in Sebastian, Florida

43 months ago

client said: Hi. I am glad I found this forum.

I have limited financial resources (otherwise I would go to a deluxe spa which includes many amenities far and above the actual massage), but if I feel any pressure whatsoever to tip in addition to paying a membership fee, then I simply will not join Massage Envy.

I am shocked and disappointed to learn that a membership-based entity would even permit you to accept tips, let alone encourage them

Hey "Client", do us all a favor and stay you're A@# at home. We do not need clients with you're kind of attitude at any massage practice. You are probably the same person that goes to a TGI friday's expecting the world out of someone, and then tipping them well below average for service you probably didn't deserve in the first place.

massage89 in Charlottesville, Virginia

43 months ago

I second that! Stay home!

DadMike in Maryland

43 months ago

Sonia in Cabot, Arkansas said: To understand tipping you must understand the Envy model. It’s like a gym membership. The gym doesn’t want you to come workout, they want your monthly dues. They know darn good and well that they will sell a ton of memberships in Jan only for ½ of those to stop coming within 60 days. Ask around you will see over 70% of everyone who has a membership only goes and average of 2 months of the year or 24 times max. So they know that part of the revenue stream will come from those who don’t show up, as well as a small fee for those that due. If you take the amount of memberships that need to be sold in order to show and sustain profits they only have a few viable options. 1) cut overhead. What cost more business profits than all others??? Wages. So they payless and require the MT to make up the difference of a livable way in the form of “Tips”. Thus the reason you will find a lot of new grads cutting teeth at Envy and then moving on to other locations once they hone their massage skills. There are business out there that still sell massage at a discount who are not dependent on this premises, but you will need to seek them out.

Isn't tipping an expected part of compensation for an MT, not just at Massage Envy? Are you advocating the abolishment of tips as a part of MT compensation?

Don't know about that.....ME's base wage may not be good for MTs...I've heard varying stories here..but you can't blame them for encouraging tipping, for goodness sake!!

Sonia in Cabot, Arkansas

43 months ago

DadMike in Maryland said: Isn't tipping an expected part of compensation for an MT, not just at Massage Envy? Are you advocating the abolishment of tips as a part of MT compensation?

Don't know about that.....ME's base wage may not be good for MTs...I've heard varying stories here..but you can't blame them for encouraging tipping, for goodness sake!!

Nothing should ever be “expected”. You might suggest, or even imply but I think there are too many people who just show up and do as halfass job expecting to receive tips. It doesn’t work like that. Tipping is a BONUS for providing extra good service. If not just add it to the dang bill on the front end and be done with it. All business use the term “tips” as a way to defer wages to a often minimum wage in order to keep their payroll low and let the balance fall on the shoulders of the provider. The restaurant industry has been using this for years. The problem when it comes to massage is companies like Envy falsely advertise a higher than actually guaranteed wage to lure MT’s to their facilities then pay them far less and say “make it up in tips”. Come on lets be real. Advertise the actual wage you’re going to pay and just be straight with your employees and say “you can expect $____ in tips based on our facility average). Now that’s the fair way of doing it. But they hide with the whole shell and bean game leading Mt’s to believe they will earn more when quite honestly there are some not worthy of a tip. Now I would like to think these are few and far between, but just like in the case of the restaurant should your waiter or waitress just think YOU OWE THEM a tip because you ate their? Heck NO they need to earn it and earn it means showcasing your skill set to be worthy of my extra payments. I’m 110% all for tipping, but not for required or expected tipping. This is the same reason why I see new companies starting to appear that offer more of what the client wants, higher wages than and Envy, and

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

43 months ago

It's the mind state of even thinking tipping isn't deserved for some reason, not that the therapist isn't there to provide a good service, so please spare us all you're "advice" cheapskate and stop concentrating on finding reasons not to tip and just simply do not use our services. Period. Oh and by the way, if you've ever worked in a restaurant, you would know that the "tips" are the only money you really make, not the 2.15 an hour, so in the future, please stay away from restaurants too. Thanks and God Bless!

Sonia in Cabot, Arkansas

43 months ago

supernavy84 in Sebastian, Florida said: It's the mind state of even thinking tipping isn't deserved for some reason, not that the therapist isn't there to provide a good service, so please spare us all you're "advice" cheapskate and stop concentrating on finding reasons not to tip and just simply do not use our services. Period. Oh and by the way, if you've ever worked in a restaurant, you would know that the "tips" are the only money you really make, not the 2.15 an hour, so in the future, please stay away from restaurants too. Thanks and God Bless!

Ok let’s put this out there for a vote. SuperLazy wants everyone to tip regardless of his/her lack luster performance because he/she feels entitled to a tip for providing a service. Not to say tipping is not appreciated, but in the case of SuperLazy either you shut up and do it or you’re a “cheapskate”. What do we think this sort of mentality will do long term to the industry? Well SuperLazy will make a few extra bucks possibly, but the industry as whole now becomes a monotone service allowing those without skills, talent, and a passion for the job to enter the work force and compete with those who are making massage a career because all they see is the $$$. Does any serious MT want to their performance and compensation set to the same rate as SuperLazy? You want to take it one step further? Open up your own massage business and put a sign out front “SuperLazy Massage” “Where If You Don’t Tip DON’T Come”. Let me know where you set up so I can open across the street and I’ll own you like a $3 suit! When that doesn’t work out, but it’s ok cause your still living with Momma you can head back to McDonalds or your other waiter/waitress job where you can test your theory one more time. Put a sign on your table tell customers “SuperLazy don’t service those who don’t tip”. Let’s see how long you last there as well?? Anyone with ½ a brain realizes that most restaurant don’t mandate tips “because when your told

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Sonia in Cabot, Arkansas

43 months ago

Anyone with ½ a brain realizes that most restaurant don’t mandate tips “because when your told you have to you resent it”! So when you “Thank and Bless God” tonight ask for some wisdom cause you need it!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

carrie in Charlottesville, Virginia

43 months ago

Sonia in Cabot, Arkansas said: Anyone with ½ a brain realizes that most restaurant don’t mandate tips “because when your told you have to you resent it”! So when you “Thank and Bless God” tonight ask for some wisdom cause you need it!

I think you both agree that you tip when you liked the massage, and how much depends on how much you liked it? What is the fighting and hostility for- I think you both believe that right?

dolores in Austin, Texas

43 months ago

I think superlazy needs to find a new profession. Personally, I am just glad that I never had to suffer through a massage with him.

DadMike in Maryland

43 months ago

Sonia in Cabot, Arkansas said: Ok let’s put this out there for a vote. SuperLazy wants everyone to tip regardless of his/her lack luster performance because he/she feels entitled to a tip for providing a service. Not to say tipping is not appreciated, but in the case of SuperLazy either you shut up and do it or you’re a “cheapskate”. What do we think this sort of mentality will do long term to the industry? Well SuperLazy will make a few extra bucks possibly, but the industry as whole now becomes a monotone service allowing those without skills, talent, and a passion for the job to enter the work force and compete with those who are making massage a career because all they see is the $$$. Does any serious MT want to their performance and compensation set to the same rate as SuperLazy? You want to take it one step further? Open up your own massage business and put a sign out front “SuperLazy Massage” “Where If You Don’t Tip DON’T Come”. Let me know where you set up so I can open across the street and I’ll own you like a $3 suit! When that doesn’t work out, but it’s ok cause your still living with Momma you can head back to McDonalds or your other waiter/waitress job where you can test your theory one more time. Put a sign on your table tell customers “SuperLazy don’t service those who don’t tip”. Let’s see how long you last there as well?? Anyone with ½ a brain realizes that most restaurant don’t mandate tips “because when your told

Tips are part service industry income. I adjust my tips based on quality of service, but I complain first to see if things are rectified.
I can see objecting to tips for MT because it subjects MTs to para-professional status- you tip waiters/bell boys, not doctors/PTs...but then the industry pay standards better go up or you'll have a lot of unhappy MTs.
This goes to a root conflict in massage- is it a service or medical profession? Because in its current format it seems to straddle some sort of quasi-middle ground.

43 months ago

Dear "Sonia" Do me a favor and calm down before i call you're probation officer. I don't think he'd be too happy to hear that you've been drinking again. Kudos on you're whimsical paragraph, but unfortunately, you're opinion has fallen on deaf ears. I am all about service and always will be, you on the other hand, seem to be dealing with entirely different issues within yourself. So if it gives you some warped sense of liberation, well then feel free to respond once again with any tasteless comments YOUR elders have taught you. God Bless. :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Sonia in Cabot, Arkansas

43 months ago

DadMike in Maryland said: Tips are part service industry income. I adjust my tips based on quality of service, but I complain first to see if things are rectified.
I can see objecting to tips for MT because it subjects MTs to para-professional status- you tip waiters/bell boys, not doctors/PTs...but then the industry pay standards better go up or you'll have a lot of unhappy MTs.
This goes to a root conflict in massage- is it a service or medical profession? Because in its current format it seems to straddle some sort of quasi-middle ground.

Mike your 100% correct. This is in fact the root of the issues. With a quick study of the every changing industry you will find CPT codes directed at soft tissue work along with modifiers for billing massage as a medical service. The line in most legal explanations falls with “education and licensing”. Both of which are required for massage in “most” states. This would lend itself to massage being of a professional nature unlike other services field like being a waiter or waitress that can be performed by our colleague SuperLazy. So you can choose the legal definition or the medical review or even what sounds and feels right and massage is even more so a “professional service” than it ever has before. Even the Schools now all teach SOAP Note charting. Why?? Medical documentation, evaluation, and follow up. If you choose the route of fluff and buff in a spa setting you very well will see the wages continue to stay low with employers paying substandard wages. While choosing a medical route allows for a whole different set of compensation and environmental settings. I might now be today or even next year but if you follow what’s happing in the industry with regulations if won’t be long before Big Brother will have their hands around massage and it will have to be performed in a medical setting like it or hate it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Sonia in Cabot, Arkansas

43 months ago

supernavy84 in Sebastian, Florida said: I understand "Sonia" may have been asked to perform "extra special" services one too many times, and she now needs somewhere to vent her frustrations. I'm all ears now "Sonia", i understand, vent away! Let it go girl! Just like Aileen Wuornos :)

P.S. I encourage you all to Google that if you are not familiar with the name.

At the end of the day, just don't f**k with me "Sonia", because you will surely be upstaged.
It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum...and i'm all out of gum! :)

SuperLazy does your psychiatrist know you talk like this? You should consider vamping up that medication the lithium is starting to effect you in a negative way. No need to worry, put your pink helmet back on, stop chewing crayons, don’t like the glass, and keep yourself away from sharp objects. As they say you shouldn’t let a mind wonder and yours is WAY too little to be out alone!! I sure hope you’re not really a Massage Therapist, cause if you are you’re a complete embarrassment to the industry. I have 8 years active duty with the Marines, two tours overseas in a combat zone, before choosing massage as a second career, so if you think your threats of serial killer mentality or “a$$ kicking” is in some way going to make you look like something other than a NUT JOB. Well your wrong!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Sonia in Cabot, Arkansas

43 months ago

supernavy84 in Sebastian, Florida said: I understand "Sonia" may have been asked to perform "extra special" services one too many times, and she now needs somewhere to vent her frustrations. I'm all ears now "Sonia", i understand, vent away! Let it go girl! Just like Aileen Wuornos :)

P.S. I encourage you all to Google that if you are not familiar with the name.

At the end of the day, just don't f**k with me "Sonia", because you will surely be upstaged.
It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum...and i'm all out of gum! :)

SuperLazy does your psychiatrist know you talk like this? You should consider vamping up that medication the lithium is starting to effect you in a negative way. No need to worry, put your pink helmet back on, stop chewing crayons, don’t like the glass, and keep yourself away from sharp objects. As they say you shouldn’t let a mind wonder and yours is WAY too little to be out alone!! I sure hope you’re not really a Massage Therapist, cause if you are you’re a complete embarrassment to the industry. I have 8 years active duty with the Marines, two tours overseas in a combat zone, before choosing massage as a second career, so if you think your threats of serial killer mentality or “a$$ kicking” is in some way going to make you look like something other than a NUT JOB. Well your wrong!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

dolores in Austin, Texas

43 months ago

sonia -- your answers are articulate and intelligent. forget superlazy/supercrazy! You are right - he is a nut job, and doesn't deserve an answer.

Page:  « First « Previous   19  20  21  22  23  24  25  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.