Massage Envy experiences...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1101 to 1150 of 1549)
Page:  « First « Previous   20  21  22  23  24  25  26  Next »   Last »

supernavy84 in Sebastian, Florida

41 months ago

Just for the record, i like the supercrazy name better than superlazy. It just seems to have a little more pizazz. Thank you Dolores! :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Sonia in Cabot, Arkansas

41 months ago

dolores in Austin, Texas said: sonia -- your answers are articulate and intelligent. forget superlazy/supercrazy! You are right - he is a nut job, and doesn't deserve an answer.

Thank you Dolores... If you have any feedback we can continue on, but as for Supersleezy i'm done with him! Have a blessed day! Sonia

Jonp in Schaumburg, Illinois

41 months ago

Hey everybody. This is supposed to be a site where massage therapists can talk, help each other and share ideas about our industry. It is okay to disagree but let's not resort to name calling and insults. This does not help anybody. If we are going to go in that direction, let us know so we can choose to opt out. Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sonia in Cabot, Arkansas

41 months ago

FYI: They are hiring in like 15 locations that I saw.

We are looking for a GREAT Massage Therapist to join our team! We need an experienced Massage Therapist like you to make a positive impact on our clinic! If you desire to Work in a clinic setting alongside a doctor promoting the fastest growing massage therapy program in the nation you may be our next employee!

Our perfect candidate:
-Certified and/or Licensed and has a passion for what they do
-Has a professional, healthy and neat appearance
-Willing to promote the health and wellness benefits of massage
-Compassionate & confident, willing to meet the needs of our clients
-Willing to provide excellent Customer service and generate new clientele
-Willing to provide a positive experience and atmosphere for clients that will keep them coming back!
-Has a great personality, team-first attitude and variety of modalities
-Must be skilled and have a desire to work in therapeutic or treatment oriented environment.

We will provide you with excellent compensation along with the opportunity to quickly develop a loyal client base, marketing materials, linens, lotions/creams, table and client scheduling so you can focus on providing each client with a customized massage based on their health and wellness needs.
We work hard and enjoy what we do! If you would like to be a part of our team Please send your resume and a brief note describing yourself to employment @massageadvantage.com Please put your first and last name and the location (PLYMOUTH EAST) that you are applying for in the Subject line of your email! We look forward to hearing from you soon!

touchcareathome in New York, New York

41 months ago

Before applying for a job at Massage Envy, or any spa, Massage Therapists should get the documentary film MASSAGE-An Inside Story 2-disc DVD. A MUST SEE documentary from a real massage therapist.
On the second DVD in the Special Features menu there's a 15 minute piece called The Franchise. It's therapists talking about Massage Envy. Go to the Website NOW: www.massageaninsidestory.tv or just Google the title.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Not So Envious in Reseda, California

41 months ago

I was a sales associate for ME; just got fired. I have never seen so many labor laws broken; I guess I should be happy that I'm free, but not getting paid that pithy payrate will suck. I will say this, the therapists are worked like dogs and often screwed out of pay if they don't get a service for an hour or two on a shift and I have seen breaks moved for MT's if it was busy, cheating them out of a break, and of course, because the therapists were trying to make a living, they'd kill themselves just to make it through, exhaustion or not.

I stood up for the MT's and sales associates, that's why I was fired. I have no regrets. It's a shady Company, great idea, but the owners are greedy and break the laws here in L.A. to pull out a profit.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jules in Mchenry, Illinois

41 months ago

This looked like a dvd so I ordered it. Thanks for the suggestion. I have a question for anyone out there who has gotten a mailer or heard of classes for myokinithetics. It sounds very intriguing and definitely something I might want to add to my modalities but its very expensive. Anybody taken the coarse? I would appreciate some feedback on what you thought and how effective it is in your treatments. Thanks

barry in Encinitas, California

41 months ago

I am taking a class action suit against massage envy-----If you want to be part of it let me know. Many of these pots are about individuals NOT reading their contract. If your credit card has been charged after you have cancelled then get back to me, or if you have genuine grievances get back to me.
Grievances need to be substantiated
Best Wishes Barry

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

darin rudd in Hillsboro, Oregon

41 months ago

barry in Encinitas, California said: I am taking a class action suit against massage envy-----If you want to be part of it let me know. Many of these pots are about individuals NOT reading their contract. If your credit card has been charged after you have cancelled then get back to me, or if you have genuine grievances get back to me.
Grievances need to be substantiated
Best Wishes Barry

Barry,

Perhaps you should include more contact information. Start with your full name.

41 months ago

I have tried calling your main office (Franchise), I get put through to two individuals and left multiple messages----Nobody has got back to me.
I have just put another call into the office that I cancelled at. They did not forward my paper work through which they said they were going to do the following day. My girlfriend was there as a WITNESS to all of this, she is a nurse practitioner and can verify everything. I do take responsibility for not checking my credit card. I basically just put it away as I was not using it much anymore.
I do not know if I received paper work, as I was out of it after having chronic pain for 5 years from a botched up hernia surgery.
Also I have been out of the country allot as my mother has had cancer
I have been inundated by individuals wanting to take part in this lawsuit. Massage envy has so many complaint boards, it was not difficult to get individuals to respond back to me.
Fifty percent are due to not reading the contracts, but many are people like myself that have been charged for no good reason other than the paper work was messed up.
The company needs to take responsibility for its actions and from what I have read they are not. The BBB gives them a ranking of F !!!!!!!
I am going to wait until I get a call back today from the location that was supposed to cancel my contract---If I am not satisfied then I am going a head with legal action. I already have a law firm to take the case I am just collecting the names and tribulations that these individuals are going through.
Best Wishes Barry

Hanna in Coco, Costa Rica

41 months ago

There is ONLY one massage program available to both client and therapist that is even worth going to or working for. I travel all the time and have visited many of their locations. Massage Advantage will dominate Envy in just a few years. If therapist don't have a Massage Advantage Center near them, just call and ask how they might help you start one. They are 100% improvement over Envy and wonderful to work with.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

41 months ago

Hi Darin-----They of course they said again there was nothing that they can do----They can if they chose to but there decision was not. They said that I had to contact where I signed up----They have already told me they cannot do anything----But once again they can if they chose to do so.
The messages I have left with the Corporate Franchise HQ DOES not return my calls.
I have sincerely tried to do this correctly, but each person I am talking is saying it is nothing to do with them. So when there is no where else to go somebody has to take a stand to make sure that this does NOT happen to others. I have 13 massages that I have been charged for, which to me is just plain stealing.
I believe that Karma has a way of sorting things out and by the responses I have had from individuals getting back to me the company needs to be hit where it most hurts and that is $$$$$$
It will be a couple year process but I hope it brings justice to those involved
Darin ---Many thanks for getting back to me and you have done a good job in answering many of the questions---You are just involved with a company does not care about its therapists or clients. The bottom line for them is money, nothing else. I have a feeling you already know that, if not, in time you will see things more clearly. It will be a good learning experience for all involved and hopefully the company will change its ways.
Best Wishes Barry

41 months ago

darin rudd in Hillsboro, Oregon said: Barry,

Perhaps you should include more contact information. Start with your full name.

My full name is Barry Jones, my original sign up was in Concord, the cancellation was supposed to be done at Encinitas--
The manager told me yesterday that they do not do this from their end
My girlfriend and my massage therapist were a witness to all of this while they filled out the paper work and said they would send it off the following day.
It is blatantly obvious that there are 13 massages paid for but not used. We were told the paper work was to be sent off the next day, apparently not.
It seems like the management are brain washed not to take ANY RESPONSIBILITY, a sad reflection on the companies ethics and values----Best Wishes Barry
PS It looks like massage envy is just about to spend $10 million on an ad program, I would suggest it pay more attention to its staff and clients----It is sheer arrogance on there part!!!!!!!!

Not So Envious in Reseda, California

41 months ago

Barry, I wish you luck in your lawsuit; I have worked behind the desk and seen just how hard or practically impossible it is to cancel a membership; and I have seen how the MT's are treated like chattle and basically over-scheduled, breaks moved etc., and if they complain even the tiniest bit, then they are punished.

The local owners are erika and deon rice, they came from real estate, no knowledge of the Industry, just run their shops on greed; they fire people on a whim; break labor laws, everything.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Barry Jones in Encinitas, California

41 months ago

Thanks for the feedback, the responses I have got back are horrific and this is happening in the USA!
if you look at the corruption of Corporate America it does not suprise me----It used to be the land of opportunity, but people like this will have to deal with their own karma when they bring others down for their own greed.
Keep the e-mails coming in folks
Best Wishes Barry Jones MS

freddyo in Richmond, Texas

41 months ago

Have you considered complying with the agreement you signed? Why didn't you tell the truth-that they expect you to do EXACTLY what you agreed to do in the agreement you signed.
How would you feel if they wanted to violate the terms of the agreement-you'd be screaming bloddy murder-yet that's exactly what you are wanting to do.

41 months ago

Most Massage Envy centers pay $15 per 50 minute (not 60 minute) massages as is often misstated on this site plus the therapist earns gratuities plus longetivity pay .So most therapists start out at about $25-$30 including gratuities for a 50 minute "hands on" massage. In addition everyting is paid for the therapist except 2-3 shirts and professional liability insurance (about $125 a year) which every responsible therapist should have anyway.

Jules in River Grove, Illinois

41 months ago

Longevity pay? $25-$30 an hour? Sign me up because I dont get any of that at my ME

Speak All in Alexandria, Virginia

41 months ago

Massage Envy + therapist= business
Massage Envy-Therapist=no business

41 months ago

Hundreds of thousands of people don't think that they need to avoid having great massage andfacial experiences at massage Envy centers. All they and the centers are expected to do is to honor the agreements they sign. Is that too much to expect of adults?

41 months ago

Nowhere did I suggest that anyone's base pay was $25-$30. On a base of $15 and tips ranging across America at 650 open Massage Envy centers from $10 -$15 per massage that totals between $25-$30 per a 50 minute "hands on" massage. Many centers pay therapist longevity pay more than the original $15 base pay per 50 minute massage after the therapist has worked there for more than 1-2 or 3 years etc.
How long have you worked at this center/

Jules in River Grove, Illinois

41 months ago

Me personally 6 months but I have co-workers that have been there for 4 years and they haven't gotten this longevity pay either. No bonus, no continuing ed, no health insurance (even though they own 3 facilities).

41 months ago

Every Massage Envy center is individually owned and operated. Different owners offer different things. just as all massage therapists are different so are business owners. It might help to remember that a typical franchisee has a total investment of close to a half a million dollars invested in their franchise and their expenses are typically over $75k and often well over $100k per month. many employees think that just because the business is busy that the owners are getting rich.
Many owners could get jobs with their college degrees and no investment and earn as much or more that they do after paying all of the expenses of the business. Here's a good question for you to consider the answer to: As a massage therapist if you decided to rent a space and hire 2-3 other therapists, pay all of the expenses of the business except for their shirts and professional iability insurance would you be able to pay for their health insurance of $800 a month or $1,000 or more per month, etc.?

I can assure you that if you'd invested up to $500,000 in a franchise and were paying out upwards of $75K to $100K or more in expenses your opinion about how things should be would be dramitically different instantly. Try to see things from the other side of the business and hopefully everyone will come to appreciate the franchisee's viewpoint.

41 months ago

That's just great all the math Fred throws out there, but reality is there is no one MT on this site who gives two hoots about your risk or your monthly fees. All they know is they busy a$$ everyday and get tossed around like third class citizens in many (not all) situations. The Envy model is the gym membership model and my friends who have worked there all learned one thing. It SUCKS!!!! You will earn more at most fast food joints and at least get a free meal.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

41 months ago

I'm not Fred but fast food joints pay about $8 per 60 minutes of "work". A masage therapist at a Massage Envy centers earns about $25-$30 including gratuities for a 50 minute massage & can work all of the hours they want to. Why cannot bloggers even attempt to tell the truth? What is it? Were you terminated from a Massage Envy center that makes people lie so much about a reputable business? Would they not hire these people?

It is so disengenous to have all of these untruths spread like wildfire on the Internet. How would you like it if others constantly lied and slandered your business and spread untruths daily? how about some fairness here? is that too much to ask? I'm serious.

I have a suggestion. Why don't all of you who spend so much time sreading false rumors band together, hire 30,000-40,000 massage therapists, pay them $30-$50 per hour if you think that's how much they should be paid, let them have all the hours they can handle, pay for their faclity, utilities, set their appointments for them, provide the linens, gels,cremes, lotions, laundry, plus let them earn tips & see how long you stay in business.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

41 months ago

Well freddo there is just such a company out there doing just that. It kinda shows how much you understand the industry by saying "let them work as much as they want". Do you have any idea the physical effort it takes for a "50 min massage"?!?!? Obviously your clueless. MTs run the risk of hurting themselves with more than 5 hours per day. But then again I can see how Envy wants to strap that burden for income on the MT. Franchises are normally owned and operated by business people with no reguard for the industry. All they see is how they can use up young students in legalized sweat shops with a pretty logo. If someone is willing to work there for $14-$16 more power to them, but let's put this whole $25-$30 per/hr crap to rest. Cause you and I both know you dont pay that! And no I have not, note would I work for them since my teenage daughter earns more than this at a local fast food place. FYI she earns $11.75 per/hr for a 8 hours shift. I won't bore you with the math but it's really close to Envy wages.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

41 months ago

@freddyo Its great that you could add the numbers up for everybody but the bottom line is that Massage Envy offers an investment opportunity with projected profit and expense margins already broken down for you. Nobody walks into it blindly to break even or lose money. Its not chump change and I can appreciate that, but on the other hand its also a comfort to owners knowing there's a cap on pay, they don't have to offer health insurance, paid sick leave etc. If the tax credit Obama put in place for your small business to offer health insurance still doesn't appeal then why not at least offer an HSA so that you have absolute control over what your going to offer. Its how you achieve employee retention. I understand that every facility has a different owner and there are some good ones out there, but too many of them do only look at it for dollar signs and could care less if the employees are happy. The ME owners I know are taking multiple vacations a year and drive very nice cars so Im sorry Im just not feeling the poor me and what I have to spend per month speech. I absolutely see it from your side but even if you wanted to get into statistics employees work twice as hard when there being treated well. Companies also show better production numbers when they offer a wellness plan (massage, chiro, gym) that keeps people out of the sick bed and in the office. If you and your family have to take one less vacation so your employees can be afforded some sort of benefit I would give any owner an A+ in business ethics.

41 months ago

Since I don't take vacations I can't reduce them. But think about it. Health insurance can easily cst up to $1,000 per month. A typical ME center employees 25-40 or more employees. Let's just say that the average health insurance only costs $500 per month and there are 30 employees. That cost would be $15,000 per month or $180,000 per year. Cut that in half and it's still $90,000 per year.

Does anyone really believe that any owner of a massage therapy business can add $90,000 to $180,000 per year in expenses to their current expenses and survive? Or $40,000 or $50,000. As one who has offered different voluntary insurance plans to our employees for 8 years I have only had 2 employees volunteer to pay even a part of their own health or disability insurance. Everybody wants it but nobody wants to pay for their own benefits.Those of you who voted for "change" are likely to get it but you won't like it should the government take over the health insurance industry as it wants to.

Any family who has worked hard all of their career, has saved up some money by foregoing some of life's pleasures, and has invested up to $150,000 in cash, borrowed $300,000 from the bank, and is making large monthly payments (bank business loans typically require a 7-10 year payback, not 15-30 years like a mortgage), to open a Massage Envy center simply cannot do what everyone on this blog thinks they can do.

I know of no greedy, selfish, massage Envy franchisees like I read so many of you think they are. They are risk takers, entreprenuers, who have hopes and dreams just like you have. But they have worked hard, saved their money, and hope to make life better for themselves, for their families, and for their employees.
Since my blood pressure cannot stand to see so many of you willfully making false statements about the Massage Envy brand I won't be trying to reason with you any more because so many of you don't want to read the truth. It is sad indeed.

DadMike in Maryland

41 months ago

Bottom Line: For relaxation-type massage, if you charge more than one hundred bucks, you're overpriced for the market. And very few can afford to spend that type of money on a regular basis for what is essentially a luxury. ME gives a reduced price that makes regular massage affordable; I've been to Asian-owned places in malls that will do clothes-on accupressure for similar prices.
And the credentials needed for basic relaxation-type massages, usually a course of about 600 hundred hours or so, the equivalent of less than a year of schooling, do not merit high wages.
That is why ME gets customers. And ME gets therapists.
If most therapists found the wages unreasonable or could find better elsewhere, they would, and ME would cease to exist. And if most customers were unhappy with ME, ME would cease to exist as well.
Instead, it's expanding.

LMT in Utah in Roosevelt, Utah

41 months ago

And the credentials needed for basic relaxation-type massages, usually a course of about 600 hundred hours or so, the equivalent of less than a year of schooling, do not merit high wages.

Ok, first of all, when I graduated Myotherapy College of Utah, I had almost 900 hours. As soon as I got actually working, instead of going to school, my hours went up quite a bit more. So unless you are talking about a therapist that went to a very low hour(low quality) school, who graduated and walked right into the nearest Massage Envy, there is considerably more clinical hours than that. I don't know what you would consider my hours at now, because I have been a therapist for 11 years. It took me only a year to graduate, but that was because I was taking between 19-22 credit hours a semester. I don't know about you, but anything above 16 credit hours, and you don't have time for anything else above school. Not a job, not anything social, just school. Also if you take into account, that a therapist in excellent shape can only perform 4-5 massages a day without injury, then the prices are necessary. It is very demanding physically. You also should take into account that although it is possible to perform 4-5 massages daily, that doesn't happen every day. There are slow days and busy days. It is feast or famine, unless you are very successful. People make appointments and don't show up, or cancel as well. I think that it is appalling that Massage Envy will only pay their therapists $12 dollars an hour. I worked as a collection agent for Providian, 12 years ago and made $14, plus great benefits. ...continued...

41 months ago

...continued...
As phone monkey, with no skills, and little education. By the way, I run my own spa. We have three therapists, and we charge $60. My thoughts on Massage Envy is that just like any spa, or chiropractic office that takes advantage of their LMT's. If you are being paid less than 25 dollars, or 35% of the charge of the spa/clinical services you perform, whichever is greater, you are wasting your time working for these scam artists who do not value your expertise.
Don't bother.

LMT in Utah

41 months ago

I meant to say that unless you are being paid at least 35% or $25 dollars, then it isn't worth it. You are being taken advantage of.

41 months ago

On tipping:

When I work, because I work in my own place, I spend about 60-90 minutes on a 60 minute/60 dollar massage. I work on the person until their muscles are cleaned up and out of spasm. Sometimes that is less time-but never less than 60 minutes-sometimes it is more. I gift that time if I go over. If I am booked to do an 90 or 120 minute massage, I will not do less than that. More than two hours in my opinion is too much time and you are just making the person sore at that point. I book my hour appointments on the hour and a half mark. We do this, so we are not rushed, can go over, and also have time to clean up the space, show our clients yogic stretches, and ground them a bit before they drive off, as they are a bit woozy. I charge $1 a minute basically while they are on the table. Some people tip, some people never tip, no matter how good you are. My clients that tip, will tip between 10-60 dollars. Every time. The people that don't tip, just don't tip. For whatever reason. I doubt it is because we do poor massage, because we are extremely thorough.

41 months ago

darhopevan in Reno, Nevada said: I have been a massage therapist for 14 years. I have worked for myself and worked at a spa, and at a holistic health center. When I became certified, in California, I was hired at a spa, and worked 5 days a week, and sometimes would be called in when there were extra clients. At the holistic center and working for myself, I worked only when I had clients. I am not certified to work as a massage therapist in Reno, I would have to go back to school for 500 hours, and take the National Exam. Not sure I want to do that at this time. I can, however, perform Reflexology and Reiki and Shiatsu, which I was trained to do.
Where ever you work as a massage therapist, you must be certain of the difference between being an employee and being an independent contractor. While working at the spa, the therapists got a 60/40 split and could keep their tips. When we had no clients, we were paid an hourly minimum wage. The owner of the spa never, ever ran specials. I made really good money, and I averaged 6 massages a day, 5 days a week. When I had my own business, I averaged 4 massages during a 5 day week.
I have not read every single comment, however, I do not think being unionized is the way to go. There are resources for Massage and Body workers - certification, and associations. You, no matter where you work, are a professional, and must behave as a professional. No one can take that away from you. It is your license, your permit, your certification. If you do not like the terms that you are given at a particular Massage establishment, do not sign the dotted line, and go elsewhere, or start your own business. You will not become as rich as Trump performing massage only, you need to build your business. It is not easy, but it can be rewarding.

Everything this person said was right on! Exactly!

Speak All in Alexandria, Virginia

41 months ago

What hog wash.So first off are you saying that you are at this time paying for full health insurance for your therapist.I think if you are great but unlikely.I have more then a few therapist who worked for ME and not one said they were ever given full health insurance.They paid for there own and the price was no cheaper then paying for it themselves.Bottom line is you need massage therapist they don't need you.A 50% pay of total of the price of the cost is standard in most Spa's for massage if you pay less then don't expect them to stay.A therapist puts there bodies on the front lines.They wear down and wear out so much like anything if you have a short time to make your money then it must be enough not to over do it such as no more then 4 or 5 a day otherwise you will wear yourself out.I worked at a place that had spent a great deal of money on the shop and made it look top of the line but they treated their people bad and they left now they have a very expensive lease without people there to work there to generate money.Massage Envy will in the end, end up the same.Have an expensive lease costing them money and no one to work for them if they don't change their pay scale.

41 months ago

Remember where the "real pork" is for Envy. All of those suckers who sign up to have their bank accounts drafted every month that DONT get a massage! Does the franchise split that???? Heck no, but they wouldn't have the oppertuntity to sign those deals without MTs. But as long as MTs are willing to slave away for low pay, NO perks or bennies, this kind of corporate abuse of them will continue. The days of MTs make a living wage at Massage as long as their are Envys is over!!! I know you don't want to hear this but massage is going to be regulated by Fed at some point, so do yourselves a favor and look for positions in medical/chiropractic.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

healthfulhands in Chicago, Illinois

41 months ago

I have now work for Massage Envy for almost 3 years and started out making $17.00 per hour. Currently I make $19.25 an hour. My avaerage tips are between 15-20 per hour massage. I make $34 an hour at a chiropractor and occasionally receive a tip. I still average about $26,000-$30,000 a year with tip. So, I look at what the trade-off is.....chiropractor-have to supply and launder my own sheets, don't get paid for cancellations, sporatic work, great experience with injured patients, high wages, low cost adjustments.
Massage Envy-low pay scale, great tips, health insurance and suppliment insurance, no laundry, hydraulic tables, corporate BS, and a bunch of stupid rules.
I guess I just got tired of having to work 60-70 hours a week to make about the same wage per year, so since I was already use to making that much per year the trade offs are not so bad and I now have a dream career doing what I love to do which is making people feel better. Also, I only have to work 25-30 hours per week and I get to take off time throughout the year instead of having to pick one week per year. From here I am going back to school now to become an occupational therapist assistant which make $30,000-70,000 a year in Illinois. So, for anyone looking into MT as a career I would do your homework first as I myself was angry about the wages too. But as with any job, especially in this economy, there will always be something to be angry about.

41 months ago

I work in a Chiro office 9 months of the year, and think it's the best place in the world! I earn and average of $30 per/hr plus tips. I even earn extra for my major medical and personal injury massages. I do my own laundry but they pay me $5 for every 3 sets of sheets. I also have 100% FREE Chiro care for me and my family. To be honest I care Heath care with a high deductible for emergencies but since I started in the Chiro office I'm a lot heathier. Guess what they say about "preventative care" really is true! The doctor I work with is part of this growing program called Massage Advantage and I believe they are the best massage program out there. Ive seen others comment about them in the past, but from what I've seen they will own the Envy market within the next few years. Better pay for the MTs, better support systems, I have a full book with very very few cancellations, people really value my opinion, I work directly with the Doctor, and my schedule allows plenty of time for family and friends. No more 12 hour days like my friends just to survive. Last year I earned just over $45,000. They also will only let you with 5 massages per day and I have 15 min between massages. My clients love that they get 60 full min not that 50 min crap Envy sells as hour massages.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

41 months ago

Its really unfortunate that this person didnt read my point. My ME also offers health insurance if id like to pay $429 a month (before physical). They basically just picked out some company and said if you want to buy your own insurance here you go. The reason I harp on this issue so much is because you have no idea how physical the job really is unless your a therapist. You finally get in the car to go home and your like holy sh*t every muscle in my body aches, Im exhausted. People push themselves to do 7 and 8 hour days because of the low hourly wage but bills have to get payed. Im not kidding when I say 3/4 of the therapists I work with have some kind of dysfunction or injury. What do you think is going to happen to them the day xyz muscle pulls a disc out of place or tendon injury occurs. You dont have disability to fall back on, you dont have insurance to go see a chiro. How are you going to pay your bills for the next few weeks you have to take off? Lets say its not even job related you fall down and break your arm. YOUR EFFED! Thats what owners are not taking the time to see. In response to the original owner I was commenting to, you crunched one set of numbers and threw your hands up in the air and said omg I cant afford an extra $90000 a year. Nothing was mentioned about the other suggestions I made and thats the problem. It falls on deaf ears and thats really where this industry is taking a dump. Work like a machine and nobody needs you 2 cents. Statistically only 40% of therapists make it past 5 years. Only 25% of therapists have been in the industry for 10+ years. That should really tell you something. Bet they never mentioned that part in school.

Tell All in Alexandria, Virginia

41 months ago

So true.Took me 18 month for my elbow to heal up.It took three shots of (PRP)-Platelet Rich Plasma to finally fix the tendinitis.It's not cheap but saved me to be able to still work. The wear and tear on a therapist body is something you
can't understand until you go through it.

dolores in Austin, Texas

41 months ago

"Statistically only 40% of therapists make it past 5 years. Only 25% of therapists have been in the industry for 10+ years. That should really tell you something. Bet they never mentioned that part in school." Jules you hit the nail on the head with that. I have no love of ME, and personally would rather work at McDonalds. However, the reason they can operate in this fashion is because the massage industry has no standards. Anybody (and it sometimes seems like everybody) can be a massage therapist. I have been a therapist for 18 years and the industry has done nothing but go down hill. There are great therapists out there, but also a ton of bad ones with lousy educations. Unless we raise the bar conditions will only continue to worsen.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

41 months ago

This is exactly why I feel the industry is headed toward medical services as well as needs to. As you increase the educational standards and requirements you will weed out those who only see massage as and easy way of making $$$. It's sad but a recient student told me the school recruited her with promises of $60-$80 massages. Not I'm not saying you can't earn that, but 95% will not! So with all the schools jumping on the tuition band wagon this is where we are. ME has just learned to take advantage of those who didnt do their homework.

As for myself I love who I work for and with. Massage Advantage created the opportunity where I work my hours of massage, then transition into front desk or help with rehab. I have a whole new set of skills, earn extra pay and still have free heath services. As for the future, well I happen to know they recruit from offices and I'm looking to be a coach helping other MTs when my massage days are over. I like many of you have put in my time and am about to "retire" from full time massage. Good blessing to all of you... H

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

skaye84 in Glen Carbon, Illinois

41 months ago

I completely agree that therapist need health insurance. Supposedly after a nationwide survey of M.E. therapist, corporate finally got the message & is working to put something together. I have been with the company long enough to know that the dollar amount next to that benefit might still keep it out of most therapist reach. But at least they finally heard the cry! & I for one will continue to pass on the message to every higher up that I come across that it MUST be a priority. As for the number of injuries therapist have historically suffered in this profession, I feel that the advantage of working with a large group of therapist is that we have the ability to help on another recover or prevent injuries. I realize that most M.E. clinics are not taking advantage of this. But just like you get free chiro care for working in a chiropractors office, if LMT's were willing to get organized working at M.E. gives you the opportunity to be trading massages weekly. Don't wait for your clinic owners or manager's to do this for you. Take a leadership role to make your clinic better & push all therapist to be receiving the bodywork they need. As a full time therapist for the past 7 yrs, I have seen several therapist fall out of the industry due to injury. They also seem to be the same therapist that are not living what we preach. We are all individually responsible for the upkeep & maintenance of our own bodies. I know I am blessed to work in an exceptional clinic. I also know that I work every day to make it so & rely on all my therapist to take part of our growth instead of sitting around gripping about what is wrong. If you are one of the good therapist, please take care of yourself, so you can make it to Hanna's point of passing on knowledge to the next generation of therapist (because yes most schools are drastically dropping the ball)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Rolinda in Chula Vista, California

41 months ago

dolores in Austin, Texas said: "Statistically only 40% of therapists make it past 5 years. Only 25% of therapists have been in the industry for 10+ years. That should really tell you something. Bet they never mentioned that part in school." Jules you hit the nail on the head with that. I have no love of ME, and personally would rather work at McDonalds. However, the reason they can operate in this fashion is because the massage industry has no standards. Anybody (and it sometimes seems like everybody) can be a massage therapist. I have been a therapist for 18 years and the industry has done nothing but go down hill. There are great therapists out there, but also a ton of bad ones with lousy educations. Unless we raise the bar conditions will only continue to worsen.

HHhhmmmm. DadMike has been expressing higher education.

DadMike in Maryland

41 months ago

Rolinda in Chula Vista, California said: HHhhmmmm. DadMike has been expressing higher education.

Yep- and keep in mind, I'm a customer, not an MT- and I would LOVE for massage to be fully professionalized with highly skilled practitioners being the norm- it would make seeking massage services much more convenient and productive. Not to mention SAFER- way too many hookers pose as "massage, non-sexual"...you can see the ads in the paper-- and it sullies the profession. Makes you even embarrassed to tell your co-workers and extended family, "I'm getting a massage today." My mother-in-law, who is a holistic nurse, no less!, had a near heart attack once when my wife said I was writing on a massage forum- she though I was openly on a porn site!!
Can't underestimate Massage Envy's strip-mall chain status as a recipe for success- I tell people, "It's a chain! In an upscale strip mall!" and any stigma is removed.
Like it or not- Americans trust bland chains!!

41 months ago

Right on Skaye! Glad to hear that kind of news and thats not a bad idea to bring up to my coworkers to create some kind system for more regular self care. Regarding the education system it really is a damn shame whats been happening in the past couple of years with corporations such as Cortiva buying them out (no offense if thats where you graduated from not all of them are bad). They come into a school thats been around 25 years and change everything that made it unique. They let go most of the senior teachers and rehire new ones for very low pay. The education model is now more focused on the books than the actual technique class. Ive worked with many new therapists that attended school at one of the local colleges (not specifically for massage) and there technique education is atrocious. They literally do NOT know how to perform deep tissue, clinical dt, trig point, and they cant work with clients who require any sort of clinical work ?????? because its not part of the curriculum not to mention they only offer the minimum hours required by the state. Im dead serious when I say the quality of our industry is dying. Look at any MT school advertisement its about $$$$$ not people not compassion for people. YOU WILL NOT EVER BECOME RICH DOING THIS JOB!!!! My current thoughts are about separating the education. A certified MT would be one who works in a spa performing hot stone, wraps, body scrubs, and swedish relaxation work with Minimum hours required and spa technique being the hands on. These people should not be qualified to take any courses generated around medical work. A LMT should be the only one qualified to perform any technique beyond swedish with higher education hours and internship. This way the insurance companies could differentiate between what was relaxation and what was clinical (the latter not being reimbursed). You could then separate the payscale much easier versus all of us being lumped under one umbrella which really pisses me off by the way.

41 months ago

PS Im not saying making these changes are easy or happen over night but seriously why havent these kinds thought been conceived by AMTA who are supposedly so pro active for us in Washington? They dont do sh*t! So what exactly do all these chapter fees and overpriced insurance rates pay for because it sure as hell isnt to regulate our industry which theyre so proud of saying all the time. Also just for future reference they were not the ones who pushed for us to licensed and regulated. That was started by the Swedish Institute in New York and other schools followed suit. AMTA just jumped on that band wagon.

KAT in Seminole, Florida

41 months ago

Hanna in Coco, Costa Rica said: This is exactly why I feel the industry is headed toward medical services as well as needs to. As you increase the educational standards and requirements you will weed out those who only see massage as and easy way of making $$$. It's sad but a recient student told me the school recruited her with promises of $60-$80 massages. Not I'm not saying you can't earn that, but 95% will not! So with all the schools jumping on the tuition band wagon this is where we are. ME has just learned to take advantage of those who didnt do their homework.

As for myself I love who I work for and with. Massage Advantage created the opportunity where I work my hours of massage, then transition into front desk or help with rehab. I have a whole new set of skills, earn extra pay and still have free heath services. As for the future, well I happen to know they recruit from offices and I'm looking to be a coach helping other MTs when my massage days are over. I like many of you have put in my time and am about to "retire" from full time massage. Good blessing to all of you... H

With places like Massage Envy charging only $45 or less for massages and I hear $20 of it goes to the worker,it has become a low income business.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

carrie in Charlottesville, Virginia

41 months ago

"A certified MT would be one who works in a spa performing hot stone, wraps, body scrubs, and swedish relaxation work with Minimum hours required and spa technique being the hands on. These people should not be qualified to take any courses generated around medical work. A LMT should be the only one qualified to perform any technique beyond swedish with higher education hours and internship. This way the insurance companies could differentiate between what was relaxation and what was clinical (the latter not being reimbursed). You could then separate the payscale much easier versus all of us being lumped under one umbrella which really pisses me off by the way."

Hey Jules- I agree that perhaps there could be a separation of massage vs. medical massage, but life is about learning- who are you to dictate who can and can not learn more? So if you graduated from a school and want to learn more about a specific modality- "these people should not be qualified to take any courses generated around medical work"? Is that what you are saying? How many hours did you take? Should anyone with less hours than you fall into that category?

DadMike in Maryland

41 months ago

carrie in Charlottesville, Virginia said: "A certified MT would be one who works in a spa performing hot stone, wraps, body scrubs, and swedish relaxation work with Minimum hours required and spa technique being the hands on. These people should not be qualified to take any courses generated around medical work. A LMT should be the only one qualified to perform any technique beyond swedish with higher education hours and internship. This way the insurance companies could differentiate between what was relaxation and what was clinical (the latter not being reimbursed). You could then separate the payscale much easier versus all of us being lumped under one umbrella which really pisses me off by the way."

Hey Jules- I agree that perhaps there could be a separation of massage vs. medical massage, but life is about learning- who are you to dictate who can and can not learn more? So if you graduated from a school and want to learn more about a specific modality- "these people should not be qualified to take any courses generated around medical work"? Is that what you are saying? How many hours did you take? Should anyone with less hours than you fall into that category?

I get what he's saying; I wouldn't say it's good to BAN anyone from further ed, which I hope isn't what he really meant; but rather ban them from medical practices until they earn the full degree, maybe a full BA would be good, that's the entry level standard for most skilled medical positions, (2-yr nurses get zero respect) and obtain the appopriate license to do so. Many professions already do this to maintain the status and income level of those with greater skills.

Page:  « First « Previous   20  21  22  23  24  25  26  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.