Massage Envy experiences...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1201 to 1250 of 1551)
Page:  « First « Previous   22  23  24  25  26  27  28  Next »   Last »

rocky in Commerce, Georgia

45 months ago

Does anyone know how MASSAGE ENVY treats a DUAL license person working for them, any perks????more money????

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

dolores in Austin, Texas

45 months ago

what is your other license? As far as I know ME only does massage, so your other license probably won't help you -- but I could be wrong.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

TB in Fountain Valley, California

45 months ago

rocky in Commerce, Georgia said: Does anyone know how MASSAGE ENVY treats a DUAL license person working for them, any perks????more money????

No, you don't get more money. If you interview with them you will be more likely to get the job because of your dual license. Probably the best perk is that you get priority with booking. If a client calls and says they want a facial and massage they will give the appointment to you so the client has the same therapist. We get alot of clients that want that. At least at my clinic. Also it will be easier on you body doing mix of facials and massage then doing massage all day. Oh and you get commission for product sales. Glad to answer anymore questions!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

KAT in Seminole, Florida

45 months ago

Eric in Toronto, Ontario said: I'm curious about people's experience with Massage Envy. I hear a lot of negative comments especially with regards their pay scale. Has any therapist found working at Massage Envy to be a positive experience? Are you able to accept tips at Massage Envy? Are there other perks in working there in terms of professional development or benefits?

They have set the pattern for low wage massage.I saw another ad for another chain that is going the same route.A customer told me that the massage is very basic and not very good.You get what you pay for.I feel in the future many people will choose not to get into the business,because of the low wage.Same goes for CNA's in nursing homes.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

dont go in Mechanicsville, Virginia

45 months ago

Just don't do it. Especially in Fredericksburg. No licenses. Poor service. Good idea. Poor implementation. Pay extra and get someone who took the time to get certified.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Happy Elsewhere in Dallas, Texas

45 months ago

I worked at Massage Envy for 6 months after earning 6 years of experience in Doctor's offices in the Fort Worth Texas area. I respect the manager who hired me and all of the people I was lucky enough to work with. The clients were great and would tip anywhere from $0 to $40. It all evens out and doesn't effect the quality of the massages given. I love doing body work and can do up to 10 a day.

I grew disappointed with the new management and franchisee owner when they decided not to pay us for manitory meetings and trainings. We paid to learn Hot Stone treatments which was fine but not for the required 6 practice massages. I give the owner a 2-hour hot stone after completing 30 treatments and did not get paid for my time or tipped which really disappointed me.

Additionally, they started to require us to coax clients to return each week for massage. I can't sell! I like to stay quiet so my client can enjoy the massage.

Thanks and bless you all!

PSU in Denver, Colorado

44 months ago

I recently started going to Massage Envy regularly because after two years of trying to find a therapist as good as the one I had in Philly, I decided mediocrity at a reasonable price was better than mediocrity at a high price. I had a great deal in Philly, $60 for 70 minutes and they didn't accept tips (regular price was $75, but the running club got 20% off). At Massage Envy I get two 80 minute massages (what they call 90 minutes) a month at a cost of $49+$18+$20=$87 and $10 less for the second. So I pay $164 for two massages, and based on the $15/hr I read on hear, the massage therapists get $45+$40 of that, which is 52% of gross.

This seems pretty good to me (for the therapist), but I don't know the business too well. I assume Massage Envy provides a low-risk, low stress (no overhead $$ or headaches) job for therapists who don't have the skills/money to start their own business. I assume there is much less down time working for ME than going off on your own.

The reason I ask all this is that I'm considering opening a ME franchise and the limited comments I've received from clients and therapists have been very positive. Honestly, the most negative comments are my own, but that's because I'm comparing to the therapist I had in Philly.

Do the people posting all these negative comments realize the cost (500k?) to open a ME franchise and the risk that comes with doing such?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

skaye84 in Collinsville, Illinois

44 months ago

PSU in Denver, Colorado:

If you are looking to become an owner, then dedicate yourself to taking care of your MTs. If you treat employees with respect & run your business honestly, you can create really good jobs for those of us who don't have the desire at this stage in our lives to open our own establishment. One of the first hires you make should be an experienced therapist with management experience or potential. You can't possibly relate to the day to day experiences a therapist go through, so make sure that you have manager's in place that will take the time to be responsive to your therapists needs.

I've worked for a bad owner & now work for an owner who's hearts in the right place,but is loosing touch with the business. So yes I could give you negative & positive stories. But most of these negative comments come from employees that have been taken advantage of & mistreated by uncaring management/owners. When you are making someone else money, it only adds insult to injury to know that the beneficiary of your hard days work started out with WAY more money than you will ever see!!!!! But at the end of the day Massage Envy provides me with a good living & a steady employment to provide for my family. & I feel like I help my clients & my fellow therapists through my work.

So get the right people to work for you & don't be greedy! Good luck! Hope to hear that you're a good employer & not another creep giving the brand a bad name in the industry. :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

medical proffessional.

44 months ago

NO NAME in Salt Lake City, Utah said: YOU WOULD LIKE TO THINK A MASSAGE CLINIC IS A SAFE ENVIRONMENT BUT THE SAD TRUTH IS MOST ARE NOT. JUST 3 WEEKS AGO A MAN (L.M.T.) WAS CHARGED FOR RAPE. AT A MASSAGE ENVY IN SALT LAKE CITY UTAH.

Massage therapy was actually started by those EVIL males you speak of. Woman commit just as many crimes as men and in fact if it werent for women prostituting themselves out under the guise of of massage therapy maybe massage therapy would be accepted a legitimate health profession instead of a joke and something you can go to a hair salon or someones home for.

bodyworkerAZ in Chandler, Arizona

44 months ago

Do the people posting all these negative comments realize the cost (500k?) to open a ME franchise and the risk that comes with doing such?

To be perfectly honest with you (and I mean this in a nice way), as a MT I don't really care how much it costs YOU to buy your franchise. That doesn't give any ME owner the right to treat their employees with disrespect OR to under pay them OR work them to death. The friends I have who worked for ME complained that they were not paid for all the time they worked (since it is by massage and not hours worked). This should be totally illegal in my opinion. As an independent practioner, I truly feel the franchises are the downfall of this profession!

PSU in Denver, Colorado

44 months ago

If ME owners treated employees so badly, why would the franchise's growth be so strong? As I posted in another thread, it's all supply and demand, and that goes for both the cost of the massage and the pay for the therapist.

Is ME actually benefiting from the tough economy b/c many clients consider this an essential service, but are going to less expensive places due to the economy? Time will tell.

As for now, I'm sure many clients are happy paying $64 for a 50 minute massage and many therapists are happy earning $30 for a 50 minute massage. As the economy improves, clients may start springing for more expensive massages.

Pay is about supply/demand and this has nothing to do with treating employees fairly or poorly. If you under pay or over pay, your business will go under. Treating employees badly is more about making false promises, and not fully disclosing what the job entails from all perspectives.

If ME does this, then clearly they are not a good place to work, but their success says otherwise.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

KAT in Seminole, Florida

44 months ago

In this bad economy that isn't getting any better ,people are willing to take below average pay just to have a job.We have become equal to the mexican labor force.They work hard for low wages and endure long hours and abusive bosses,just to have a job.Corporate should be a crime.It is all about ego,power and money.The american people are becoming the slave class.In time the people will rebel.In the future we will be like France,We the people are all equal ! Money should not be for the few,it should be filtered down to the working masses.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Sonia in Cabot, Arkansas

44 months ago

KAT in Seminole, Florida said: In this bad economy that isn't getting any better ,people are willing to take below average pay just to have a job.We have become equal to the mexican labor force.They work hard for low wages and endure long hours and abusive bosses,just to have a job.Corporate should be a crime.It is all about ego,power and money.The american people are becoming the slave class.In time the people will rebel.In the future we will be like France,We the people are all equal ! Money should not be for the few,it should be filtered down to the working masses.

I've hear stupid sh!& on this forum before, but this is close to the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard. If you want blame the economy on someone start with the idiot running the country. You can't keep giving things away for FREE and expect not to pay for them! Corporate America is about PROFITs!!! I'm certainly not advocating the occasional abuse of some employers, but let’s not blame them for trying. For Christ sake they have families just like you and I. They take the risk and run the potential loses if the gamble doesn’t pay. Most people are stressed and under educated, thus sometimes they make management mistakes but thank goodness they are trying. If the small business sector didn’t provided employment 50% of America would join the unemployment line. Finally I’m not sure where you get "were all equal"? If your take about race, fine were all equal? But if you talking about employment let me find you a ticket to France you can live there, cause there is NO WAY were all equal!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

DadMike in Maryland

44 months ago

KAT in Seminole, Florida said: In this bad economy that isn't getting any better ,people are willing to take below average pay just to have a job.We have become equal to the mexican labor force.They work hard for low wages and endure long hours and abusive bosses,just to have a job.Corporate should be a crime.It is all about ego,power and money.The american people are becoming the slave class.In time the people will rebel.In the future we will be like France,We the people are all equal ! Money should not be for the few,it should be filtered down to the working masses.

Communism failed, too.
Unions had a role once in taming the excesses of capitalism without slowing growth.
They did their job too well, and became irrelevant.
If the treatment of labor becomse too abusive, unions may regain their status.

DadMike in Maryland

44 months ago

PSU in Denver, Colorado said: If ME owners treated employees so badly, why would the franchise's growth be so strong? As I posted in another thread, it's all supply and demand, and that goes for both the cost of the massage and the pay for the therapist.

Is ME actually benefiting from the tough economy b/c many clients consider this an essential service, but are going to less expensive places due to the economy? Time will tell.

As for now, I'm sure many clients are happy paying $64 for a 50 minute massage and many therapists are happy earning $30 for a 50 minute massage. As the economy improves, clients may start springing for more expensive massages.

Pay is about supply/demand and this has nothing to do with treating employees fairly or poorly. If you under pay or over pay, your business will go under. Treating employees badly is more about making false promises, and not fully disclosing what the job entails from all perspectives.

If ME does this, then clearly they are not a good place to work, but their success says otherwise.

If ME could not find staff due to terrible pay and conditions, or if the staff it found were so bottom barrel no one would want to go there, it would quickly collpase.
Instead, ME is growing, and other chains very similar in nature are growing as well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

A-Z in Champlin, Minnesota

44 months ago

This is not a serious statement is it?

44 months ago

PSU in Denver, Colorado said: I recently started going to Massage Envy regularly because after two years of trying to find a therapist as good as the one I had in Philly, I decided mediocrity at a reasonable price was better than mediocrity at a high price. I had a great deal in Philly, $60 for 70 minutes and they didn't accept tips (regular price was $75, but the running club got 20% off). At Massage Envy I get two 80 minute massages (what they call 90 minutes) a month at a cost of $49+$18+$20=$87 and $10 less for the second. So I pay $164 for two massages, and based on the $15/hr I read on hear, the massage therapists get $45+$40 of that, which is 52% of gross.

This seems pretty good to me (for the therapist), but I don't know the business too well. I assume Massage Envy provides a low-risk, low stress (no overhead $$ or headaches) job for therapists who don't have the skills/money to start their own business. I assume there is much less down time working for ME than going off on your own.

The reason I ask all this is that I'm considering opening a ME franchise and the limited comments I've received from clients and therapists have been very positive. Honestly, the most negative comments are my own, but that's because I'm comparing to the therapist I had in Philly.

If you really want to get into the Massage industry, before you buy a franchise from ME you should look into Massage Advantage. I've seen stuff posted by many others about them, but they now have more location in my state (MN)than ME and did it in a fraction of the time. I hear they are franchising on 2 levels, clinic locations and Masters. From what I’m hearing you would want to be a Master. Given I work in a clinic that utilizes their systems, they really have hit the nail on the head.

44 months ago

PSU in Denver, Colorado said: If ME owners treated employees so badly, why would the franchise's growth be so strong? As I posted in another thread, it's all supply and demand, and that goes for both the cost of the massage and the pay for the therapist.

This is one of the things I love about my current employer who is a Massage Advantage Center. I earn $30 per hour on my hourly wage, average and additional $5 tip on my massages, earn over $45 per hour on my medical massage, receive FREE Chiro care for me and my family, have a full book and am NEVER over worked, have a beautiful room they allowed me to decorate, don't have to do laundry, all my supplies are provided, get 2 weeks vacation, only have to be in clinic 6 hours per less (not including my 2 hours per/wk of outside marketing)all while offering discounted massages to my clients for $39-$49. There are no big plans to sell and I’m not pressured if someone doesn’t buy a package. What I have learned here is simple. They reinvest almost every dollar from massages sold into wages or support systems for me and the other therapist, while the doctor earns his income from the new patients. I LOVE IT!!

edwined.1995@gmail.com in Hyde Park, Massachusetts

44 months ago

TexasLmt in unknown, Texas said: Way, way to long.

my husband worked for them 4 months and quite pay is very low.

mtiga in Atlanta, Georgia

44 months ago

Thanks for the heads up fellow massage therapist i was looking for employment and was considering Massage Envy but have now after reading the comments not a few, but numerous Our profession is finally gaining the respect it deserves and should not be undermined or exploited or mission is help i can do my own charity cases

bodyworkerAZ in Chandler, Arizona

44 months ago

Just because ME is doing well and growing DOES NOT mean they are a good and ethical company that treats its employees well. Sitting around a massage clinic for 8 hours a day and only getting paid for 3 massages if your particular clinic isn't busy = minimum wage period. ME should HIRE its therapists and pay them a fair hourly wage, not have them wait around for customers to come thru the door. Imagine if every business worked that way and employees only got paid when they were actually typing, answering a phone or making a photocopy. It is ridiculous that it is even tolerated in our industry, most workers wouldn't put up with it. But from what I have seen, there is so little business to go around in most places, therapists are exremely desperate for any work!

DadMike in Maryland

44 months ago

bodyworkerAZ in Chandler, Arizona said: Just because ME is doing well and growing DOES NOT mean they are a good and ethical company that treats its employees well. Sitting around a massage clinic for 8 hours a day and only getting paid for 3 massages if your particular clinic isn't busy = minimum wage period. ME should HIRE its therapists and pay them a fair hourly wage, not have them wait around for customers to come thru the door. Imagine if every business worked that way and employees only got paid when they were actually typing, answering a phone or making a photocopy. It is ridiculous that it is even tolerated in our industry, most workers wouldn't put up with it. But from what I have seen, there is so little business to go around in most places, therapists are exremely desperate for any work!

Sadly, being good and ethical does not always translate into fiancially succesful. All too often the exact opposite is true.
Your last statement explains it all- too many workers, not enough business.
For better pay and treatment, workers need to be more scarce.
Up the educational requirements, impose stricter licensing guidelines, and you'll have fewer MTs. Which means employers will have to become more competitive with each other, which will improve compensation for employees.

hockym2028@yahoo.com in Manchester, New Hampshire

44 months ago

client said: Hi. I am glad I found this forum.

I have limited financial resources (otherwise I would go to a deluxe spa which includes many amenities far and above the actual massage), but if I feel any pressure whatsoever to tip in addition to paying a membership fee, then I simply will not join Massage Envy.

I am shocked and disappointed to learn that a membership-based entity would even permit you to accept tips, let alone encourage them

When you go to a restaurant, do you tip your waitress? when you go to a hotel, do you tip the concierge and/or bellhop? do you tip a cab driver? how about a valet? if you notice, these are all professions in the SERVICE indusrty. a massage is a SERVICE. if you are going to a chiropractor and he suggests that massage therapy would compliment the adjustments and quicken your healing process, and you see the therapist at his/her chiropractic office, then no, tips are not encouraged because it is a clinical environment and the masage therapy is a diagnosis of the Dr. But, on the other hand, when you are buying the SERVICE of a swedish massage, deep tissue, hot stone, what have you at a spa or salon as a luxury or even as a monthly treatment to maintain optimal health (such as at massage envy) then yes, tipping is very much APROPRIATE. Although a tip should never be expected, so to say, they are the standard in etiquette. 15-20% just as if you were tipping on your bill at a restaurant. Wether you sign up for the membership or not is your own decision. last time i checked it was not a requirement like at a gym.

44 months ago

client said: The amount of money you pay to learn your PROFESSION, i.e. massage therapy, could not possibly be as much as a 4-year university degree or what a professional PHYSICAL THERAPIST pays to learn his or her profession.

Tips are unprofessional.

Im curious to know what it is that you do for a living. You are right, no the cost to becaome licensed (for me in NH was 15,000 for 13 months of education. and it is not equivelant to the cost of obtaining a degree at a 4yr college because IT IS NOT A DEGREE. it is a license. A physical therapist has a doctorate. Would you tip your DR? no!! that would be ridiculous!! Tipping a massage therapist in a clinical atmosphere such as at a chiropractors office, as one example, would not be accepted. BUT if you chose to get a massage on your own, as opposed to one being prescribed as a compliment to other treatments, at a spa or salon then tipping is STANDARD ETTIQUETTE. it should never be expected, so to say, but it is a SERVICE!! just like a waitress, a taxi driver, a valet, a concierge...these are all profeesions in the service industry. smarten up.

44 months ago

hockym2028@yahoo.com in Manchester, New Hampshire said: When you go to a restaurant, do you tip your waitress? when you go to a hotel, do you tip the concierge and/or bellhop? do you tip a cab driver? how about a valet? if you notice, these are all professions in the SERVICE indusrty. a massage is a SERVICE. if you are going to a chiropractor and he suggests that massage therapy would compliment the adjustments and quicken your healing process, and you see the therapist at his/her chiropractic office, then no, tips are not encouraged because it is a clinical environment and the masage therapy is a diagnosis of the Dr. But, on the other hand, when you are buying the SERVICE of a swedish massage, deep tissue, hot stone, what have you at a spa or salon as a luxury or even as a monthly treatment to maintain optimal health (such as at massage envy) then yes, tipping is very much APROPRIATE. Although a tip should never be expected, so to say, they are the standard in etiquette. 15-20% just as if you were tipping on your bill at a restaurant. Wether you sign up for the membership or not is your own decision. last time i checked it was not a requirement like at a gym.

^ on the above, i meant to write "precription" not "diagnosis"

Megan in Galt, California

44 months ago

client said: Hi. I am glad I found this forum.

I have limited financial resources (otherwise I would go to a deluxe spa which includes many amenities far and above the actual massage), but if I feel any pressure whatsoever to tip in addition to paying a membership fee, then I simply will not join Massage Envy.

I am shocked and disappointed to learn that a membership-based entity would even permit you to accept tips, let alone encourage them

they use to pay $29-34 an hour, now it is $14 and not enough hours to live on, so the employees who do a great job deserve tips. Tips are not mandatory it is the right thing to do if you enjoyed your service. These people work hard with no breaks to make you happy. They have to rush inbetween clients. they have 5 min. to prepare for you and do this 6-8 hours straight.

RLaw in Dallas, Texas

44 months ago

In providing research for another client I have found only one massage company that addresses required clinical compliancy, while addressing 90% of the concerns noted through this form. I hope to report more about them in the near future, while encouraging those seeking professional employment to perform your due diligence before signing contacts with other franchises. www.massageadvantage.com , R-Law

sonia in Cabot, Arkansas

44 months ago

RLaw in Dallas, Texas said: In providing research for another client I have found only one massage company that addresses required clinical compliancy, while addressing 90% of the concerns noted through this form. I hope to report more about them in the near future, while encouraging those seeking professional employment to perform your due diligence before signing contacts with other franchises. www.massageadvantage.com , R-Law

R-Law,
I completely agree. They are a real up and coming Company. I think most Mt's don’t know how to get involved since they are a clinic "only" program. I have called the corporate office and spoke to the HR department and they are happy to work with ANY MT looking for a better career. Thanks Sonia

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jules in Woodstock, Illinois

44 months ago

I think the Massage Advantage plugs on here are really lame. Its the same damn thing every LMT on here despises. $49 massages that the therapist makes about $15 from and then you expect the client to make up the low pay with a tip. Instead of us encouraging contracts wed be pushing package sales. You should also stop writing your own responses under a different name. Its so obviously generic and scripted. Also FYI in real life employees from competing companies dont purposely seek out forums and talk about how totally awesome there job is and everybody should come work there. Its borderline offensive that your using this site not to advance the industry or the work environment for the therapist but for your own recruitment into the same nightmare scenario were already in.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

sonia in Cabot, Arkansas

44 months ago

Jules in Woodstock, Illinois said: I think the Massage Advantage plugs on here are really lame. Its the same damn thing every LMT on here despises. $49 massages that the therapist makes about $15 from and then you expect the client to make up the low pay with a tip. Instead of us encouraging contracts wed be pushing package sales. You should also stop writing your own responses under a different name. Its so obviously generic and scripted. Also FYI in real life employees from competing companies dont purposely seek out forums and talk about how totally awesome there job is and everybody should come work there. Its borderline offensive that your using this site not to advance the industry or the work environment for the therapist but for your own recruitment into the same nightmare scenario were already in.

Jules Jules Jules,
It really becomes tiresome listen to you complain complain complain, never making helpful or meaningful solutions rather just swelter in the negative. I guess you sharply identified yourself as either a current or former employee of Envy?? Hum I wonder which one it is? Or are you one of the Franchisees trying to line your pockets from our efforts?? Because (your words)"Also FYI in real life employees from competing companies don’t purposely seek out forums and talk about how totally awesome their job is and everybody should come work there". Allow me to educate you since you think you know so much. First of all why anyone would anyone waste time recruiting from his site? There are 20 or so regulars who post with a possible 40-60 more who might occasional read this, not enough to make any serious dent for a large company and statistically very few are really going to seek out employment. Most new comers are ex employees like you that have complaints or other seeking advice. I'm offering advice with solid solutions. If you don’t like it don’t read it, go back to your negative life and leave those who are looking for change alone

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

sonia in Cabot, Arkansas

44 months ago

Education for Jules:
Massage Advantage doesn’t pay $15 per hour as Jules suggest. One simple phone call would have told her this, but rather than speak from fact she suggest things out of ignorance. Most therapist earn approximately $30 per/hr plus times. YOU DONT have to be smart to figure this out. Just ask some of the other employees who work there. Massage Advantage doesn’t own the clinics the LMT's work in, they are private practices owned by doctors. So when someone post here complaining about the wages, tips, or environment of Envy it seems only logical to look elsewhere for employment? I'm suggest this not do to my own compensation, but rather as useful and helpful suggestions to fellow therapist needing help. I don’t believe any single one of us is going to make changes by ourselves, but rather as a group banding together with a common goal. I don’t care if you work for Envy, Advantage, Elements, Heights, or some spa. I just have enough working knowledge to recommend one particular business that I know has made more strides toward helping the industry than all others I’ve either worked at or know about.

Reality check: With Groupon, Living Social, and other coupon companies now offering discounted massage EVERYWHERE you better align yourself with someone who can weather the storm and still pay you more than $15 per/hr. As Google now enters the market and Facebook looking to jump aboard were not far off from seeking additional market shifts where customers will no longer pay $60+ for massage. At least Massage Advantage has this right as well. They don’t rely on the price of the massage to determine the LMT compensation so you get paid the same regardless of what the clinic collects! Making $30 per/hr plus tips at Massage Advantage sure beats $15 at Envy so why would I not suggest this to all of my fellow therapist? Massage Advantage doesn’t dictate the national tread of massage, but they sure pay better than anyone else in the game.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

StacyMay71 in Denver, Colorado

44 months ago

Jules in Woodstock, Illinois said: I think the Massage Advantage plugs on here are really lame. Its the same damn thing every LMT on here despises. $49 massages that the therapist makes about $15 from and then you expect the client to make up the low pay with a tip. Instead of us encouraging contracts wed be pushing package sales. You should also stop writing your own responses under a different name. Its so obviously generic and scripted. Also FYI in real life employees from competing companies dont purposely seek out forums and talk about how totally awesome there job is and everybody should come work there. Its borderline offensive that your using this site not to advance the industry or the work environment for the therapist but for your own recruitment into the same nightmare scenario were already in.

Why are you such a hater? I personally love the idea of someone suggesting alternate places of employment. I have learned more from the positive post than all the drama stirring negative ones. I hated my time at Massage Envy, but I had kids to feed and a husband who lost his job. We need something fast so I jumped when being offered a job at my first interview. I didn’t do my research and I regretted it. I saw more employees come and go every week. They did nothing to better my career. Please help us and not waste my time readying all the blah blah blah. If there are better options I want to know what they are.

Ankur in Edison, New Jersey

43 months ago

I worked at Massage Envy right out of school for about a year. It was a great place to get as much experience as possible with a large clientale. The clinic owner was a MT and I thought that the conditions would be a lot better than in other clinics. That was not the case at all. I would be asked to do 6 deep tissues with only an hour break for $16/hr. I did not get compensated for having more education than the standard 500 hrs they require. I asked for a raise and was told that they have to treat everyone the same! Within 3 months of graduation, I had a full book that extended out for 2 weeks and I had brought in a lot of repeat business. They did not offer any benefits, no discounted massages, and I had to fight for my breaks.
The worst was when I gave my two weeks notice....he seemed fine with it until I came into work the next time. I was given a client who I had reported months ago as being very strange, moving around while I massaged him which compromised his draping. I refused and the owner told me to leave. He then told others that I had caused some problems!
My advice to the new practitioners is....start your own practice....and work with a chiropractor. I have the best of both worlds and an amazing group of clients. Massage Envy only cares about profits and memberships.

anonymous in Lincoln, Massachusetts

43 months ago

I have worked for massage envy for a few months now. The benefits of this situation for me, and for many others I'm sure, are a few. There are also major draw backs as with any job. Benefits for me include: I don't have to worry about scheduling my clients/making confirmation calls. the girls at the front desk take care of scheduling issues, client concerns, payment, etc. they also keep hot towels stocked, bathrooms cleaned, face cradle covers clean, and filing medical charts/SOAP notes. cream or gel is provided for all the therapists as well as professionally cleaned linens and towels, face cradle covers, holsters, and cleaning supplies. it is true that perhaps the therapists do not receive a competative wage, however i think when you do the math out, you'll find that without the overhead to pay, the mt's are probably making a decent amount. we do accept tips, and regular clients are always appreciative and tend to tip well. for me at this point, massage envy is giving me a great opportunity to come in contact with many different clients with various needs,and i'm gaining great experience. i am not a fan of working for a franchise owner, mostly because of the style of management that comes about. i'm sure I won't be there forever, but i think its a great way for a new MT to gain a lot of great experience.

kat in Seminole, Florida

43 months ago

This is how cults work to.In a cult they will feed you and give you a cot to sleep in,in exchange you work long hours and give them all your pay.It is the same as slavery.People are so insecure and afraid to be on their own that they will settle for this low pay.Think about what you are losing.

LMT in Ravenna, Ohio

43 months ago

I worked at ME for 2 years. We had no health insurance, no vacation time, no sick days, no life insurance, no benefits at all. We made $15 per massage hour. ME collected their $49 from each member each month whether or not they came in for a massage. Even if they did, $15 on a $49 service is about 30%. Ask any therapist if they want to work for 30%.

In order to make a decent living (and by that I mean 28,000 to 32,000/year), a therapist had to be booked up 5 days a week with 5-7 massage hours a day, plus get tips averaging $10/massage hour. This was my norm. But I also got so tired and cranky from doing 3/4 massages in a row, back to back, that I resented the nontippers to the point where I stopped putting effort in. ME pays the SAs better than the therapists. As for continuing ed, we didn't have any. And why would we want to get any? ME doesn't charge more for Deep Tissue or Prenatal than it does for an hour of Swedish.

Sonia in Cabot, Arkansas

43 months ago

LMT in Ravenna, Ohio said: I worked at ME for 2 years. We had no health insurance, no vacation time, no sick days, no life insurance, no benefits at all. We made $15 per massage hour. ME collected their $49 from each member each month whether or not they came in for a massage. Even if they did, $15 on a $49 service is about 30%. Ask any therapist if they want to work for 30%.

In order to make a decent living (and by that I mean 28,000 to 32,000/year), a therapist had to be booked up 5 days a week with 5-7 massage hours a day, plus get tips averaging $10/massage hour. This was my norm. But I also got so tired and cranky from doing 3/4 massages in a row, back to back, that I resented the nontippers to the point where I stopped putting effort in. ME pays the SAs better than the therapists. As for continuing ed, we didn't have any. And why would we want to get any? ME doesn't charge more for Deep Tissue or Prenatal than it does for an hour of Swedish.

Unfortunately this is a very common complaint from therapist working at ME. The pay is what the pay is and in order to make profits for owners and the franchise you get to do the work so they will profit. This is the #1 flaw in the ME structure. Unlike franchises in the food industry or other non perishable products, you do not have and endless ability to provide service. You have physical, psychological, and emotional limitations in how many massage you can and should perform a day. Anyone who cares about their staff knows you need a min of 15 min break between massages to recover. Just like going to the gym, you don’t work out for 4-5 hours straight. I continually try to encourage therapist to look into a clinical position. Most find this atmosphere to be more rewarding, relaxing, and more productive. You will find many therapist with a wide swath of opinions about working in a clinic, but the truth is you should make more on each unit, not have the stress, and enjoy more perks from a clinic. I often

Lola in Omaha, Nebraska

43 months ago

Each Massage Envy is a franchise so they vary depending on who is running them. Ask questions, enforce boundaries. They work for you, basically. I've worked far worse places. And self employed I worked harder for the same money. Reality check- massage therapy is not much better than the entertainment industry as far as stability, work conditions and benefits. Anywhere you work. But some "stars" happen to be at the right place right time and get a good "gig". So they say ")

MarissaH8637 in Clinton Township, Michigan

43 months ago

From what I am understanding listening to all of you is that ME probably should only be used as a short stop (when you are new to the field, for example) or if you can't find anything better, as a last resort. I personally think $15 is an insult, considering the intensity of the work performed. But I don't think I'd worry as much as some here are about competing with ME. ME attracts a different calibur of clients than a typical salon from what I'm gathering. The type of people who cut coupons and think tipping isn't necessary. Maybe it's good in the sense it weeds out the trash a little that you wouldn't want to work on to begin with.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

DadMike in Maryland

43 months ago

MarissaH8637 in Clinton Township, Michigan said: From what I am understanding listening to all of you is that ME probably should only be used as a short stop (when you are new to the field, for example) or if you can't find anything better, as a last resort. I personally think $15 is an insult, considering the intensity of the work performed. But I don't think I'd worry as much as some here are about competing with ME. ME attracts a different calibur of clients than a typical salon from what I'm gathering. The type of people who cut coupons and think tipping isn't necessary. Maybe it's good in the sense it weeds out the trash a little that you wouldn't want to work on to begin with.

Insulting customers is no way to get ahead in any business.
I tip 25 bucks each time; 35 for 90 minutes, and posts like yours ensure I won't quite ME anytime soon, unless my regular therapist there quits and branches off on their own.

KAT in Seminole, Florida

43 months ago

Owner/Clinic Administrator in Atlanta, Georgia said: I'm saddened to see so many massage therapists who feel so negatively about what Massage Envy is trying to accomplish. Our whole goal is to bring massage to the masses and to allow all people to benefit from a therapeutic massage session regardless of whether or not they make a ton of money. How could you expect any business to pay you more than half of what they make on a service? Especially when all you are require to provide is your talent. The Massage Envy's all over the nation are dolling out big bucks to provide you with a safe and professional environment to practice your trade in and you are basically crapping in the hand that feeds you. Not only that, but tell me one other company that goes out of it's way to provide continuing education classes for it's therapists, health insurance at no cost to the employee, and a life insurance policy to be paid out to your loved ones if anything were to happen to you? I find these comments selfish and unwarranted. But luckily for me, and the other owners and operators out there who are interested and extremely invested in bringing this concept to everyone, there are still therapists out there who do work at massage envy and value every client that they have the pleasure of touching. It's not always about the money per massage but the money overall and the abundance of people you get to help. I would love to see a site bashing the people who organize the legal aide branches throughout the country and doctors without borders, I doubt I would see any of their employees complaining about not being paid enough money to pay back their minimum of 8 YEARS of education.
This company is like most corporations.The board makes all the money and the workers get scraps.They stay in business because that is all us poor americans can afford.Same reason we eat off the dollar menu.

John Larkin in Denver, Colorado

43 months ago

This is for KAT who owns a ME in Atlanta. I am an independent therapist with 17 years experience and found this forum when one of my contractors asked about ME. I really appreciate your comments, they are direct informative from the owner side and show your compassion for the therapists that work for you.
I am constantly amazed you still spend the time trying to educate the people that post here. Most have no appreciation for the expense and commitment that goes into setting up and running a franchise, nor will they ever because from their posts, they lack the vision.
And the talk of unionization always makes me laugh. No union would take on massage therapy because it is simply a nightmare. Even the professional organizations limit their liability from us individually.
ME does many things well, most importantly as you keep reminding people, they provide jobs to those that need them along with tax compliance. Me educates people about massage and recommends/allows people to treat themselves first and see prevention as a viable choice.
Thank you KAT for your patience with those that only want to complain. Letting people know that there is always a choice, they can do what you did and invest 500 thousand into a business or they can work for you or for themselves. But they should always get a massage.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

blackcat in Los Angeles, California

43 months ago

massagepoohbah in Toronto, Ontario said: In what way do they take advantage of MTs? What would make them a better organization?

They take half of what the massage therapists make. thats bull#!&t no matter how you slice it. I walked away from a dayspa that did the same thing. NO one will ever take half of what i work my ass off for - ever again. At least envy offers benefits. but still the 50% thing is crap. dont accept that for yourself. you can do better. I have. :)

A therapist in Las Vegas, Nevada

43 months ago

client said: The amount of money you pay to learn your PROFESSION, i.e. massage therapy, could not possibly be as much as a 4-year university degree or what a professional PHYSICAL THERAPIST pays to learn his or her profession.

Tips are unprofessional.

Your just cheap and you probably try to get out of tipping with the service industry as a whole which massage is a part of. A physical therapist doesn't do a quarter of the physical work we perform to make you happy, so get real buddy!A physical therapist doesn't listen to all your problems while your on the table and know your body and genuinely care about your well being like a good therapist would.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

larkin in American Fork, Utah

43 months ago

Oddly enough, PT's have about 6 hours of massage during the four years of training and mostmassage therapists have more structural anatomy than an MD

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

DadMike in Maryland

43 months ago

A therapist in Las Vegas, Nevada said: Your just cheap and you probably try to get out of tipping with the service industry as a whole which massage is a part of. A physical therapist doesn't do a quarter of the physical work we perform to make you happy, so get real buddy!A physical therapist doesn't listen to all your problems while your on the table and know your body and genuinely care about your well being like a good therapist would.

If I'm truly injured, I will see a physical therapist- plenty of truly good, skilled PTs out there. And they've upped their qualifications considerably- you need at least 2 years graduate school, some states more, to be fully qualified.
That said- I still tip my MT! Massage is great for relief of minor aches and pains, general stress reduction, and relaxation. IF I had a sersious injury, though, I would see my MD and follow their advice.
Both are good for what they do- MTs and PTs do NOT address the same issues, though at times there may be some overlap.
No need to bash anyone's profession.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

DadMike in Maryland

43 months ago

larkin in American Fork, Utah said: client said: The amount of money you pay to learn your PROFESSION, i.e. massage therapy, could not possibly be as much as a 4-year university degree or what a professional PHYSICAL THERAPIST pays to learn his or her profession.

Oddly enough, PT's have about 6 hours of massage during the four years of training and mostmassage therapists have more structural anatomy than an MD

If I'm ill, I'll see an MD.
If I'm injured, I'll see a PT per MD's recomendation. If the MD recommends a MT, I'll see them!
If I want a stress-releif massage, I'll see an MT.
Those professions do NOT focus on the same things.

Matt in Marietta, Georgia

42 months ago

Have worked for ME for about two years. They start you at 15hr and $1 extra per request and that goes up to 16hr after six mos, $2 per request after 1yr. and an extra dollar per hour after every year. You set the number you can do without a break and a max per day so if your working your self too hard it's your own fault. Front desk sometimes make mistakes and overbooks but so does everywhere I have been. Me personally Would rather do 6 massages in a day @ 15 per hour plus tip than do two to three at 33 percent and have people think because they paid $85 for an hour they don't have to tip. ME is the most steady work I have had thanks to their wellness program. I do outside clients at $80 per hour but my checks are consistently $1300-$1500.

LMT in Toledo, Ohio

42 months ago

You must have had a nice owner. We got $15/massage hr, and if you got 90 requests in 90 days, it went to $17/massage hr. But if you didn't make that 90 requests in the following 90 days you went back down to $15. And no raises otherwise. No benefits, no increases no matter how long you worked there. I had 120 requests in the last 90 days I worked there but no reward for that. And if we set our limits at, say, 3 and 6 (no more than 3 in a row w/o a break, no more than 6 in a day) they had the right to go over that by 1/2hr. So it really meant 3 1/2 and 6 1/2. You couldn't set it at less than 3/5. And if you were sick, you had to work sick if you couldn't get someone to work for you.

StacyMay71 in Denver, Colorado

42 months ago

SCAM, SCAM, SCAM….. This site is 100% B.S. If you will notice this is must be owned or ran by Massage Envy! They do NOT want you to have any options. Look at the most recent post and everything that has to do with helpful suggestions is gone! This communist suppression of freedom of speak at its finest. If you post here ME or the powers to be are monitoring your response, most likely to see how far they can push you into their way of thinking. Too many B.S posting of all the great things M.E does and the removal of those that don’t follow like Zombies!! YOUR WASTING your time here.. Let’s see how long it takes for this to disappear as well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « First « Previous   22  23  24  25  26  27  28  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.