Massage Envy experiences...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (101 to 150 of 1551)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next »   Last »

Heather Seal

80 months ago

Massage is a great therapy. However, it's a total joke as far as professional standards and trying make a living at it.

whatever in Beltsville, Maryland said: Heather,

My point is that the massage industry needs to reqire a much higher level of education and training. Medical massage therapists should have at least a bachelors level education. They should be well educated in A&P, pathology, pharmacology and psychology. I also feel that massage therapist should be required to attend a certian amountof pychotherapy sessions since many seem to project their issues onto their clients. I personally do not know of any massage school in the United States that requires those subjects to be studied indepth. The massage industry should use physical therapy and the nursing profession as a guide for their industry. I don't think that the massage industry is going to make any great advances until they raise the educational requirements for massage therapists. And finally to address your last comment what I said may have been direct; however, it was far from "dumb". The fact of the matter is the massage industry is reaching a critical point that will cause it to more forward or spiral downhill. And instead of trying educate me perhaps you should educate yourself on what's happening within your own industry. Ralph Stephens is massage therapist who writes for Massage Today and talks extensively about all of these issues.

Compare the two statements....Yes it was dumb. You going back to make a more knowledgable statement the second time around just means that one, no one really knew what you were talking about while you were trying to make some poor point. Then going back to rebutle what you meant. So Yeah, It was. Since we are on the subject :) Im glad ralph writes about it. he makes points, he see's and mus feel what a lot of M.T feel But You can keep reading Ralph the writer, and I'll stick with Vivian, The Do'er..get my point?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Heather Seal

80 months ago

See Vivian took subjects that made no sense and turned it around like, if Massage was looked at as a medical Treatment, then why not have insurnace pay for it to...See it was on the issues that made no sense. If you feel that a longer education for massage therapy and more in depth should be required, and yes I feel the same way! it can only help not hurt. Then start writing letters you the state board start a petition up! It's easy! Heck I'll be in MD in July. Im moving back home. You want to start addressing some serious points, if you want to really get in deep, I'll be there in July!! But if not! Don't come crying on here about this and that unless your willing to do something about it....Don't think M.T cant change rules ;)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Heather Seal

80 months ago

Hey Beltsvill! Don't worrie I started the thread for you about more education. Lets start being a do'er Not a complainer :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Whatever in Washington, District of Columbia

80 months ago

I'm sorry I don't know who Vivan is so no I don't get your point. However, Ralph has shown that he possesses common sense and intelligence something that is greatly needed in the massage industry. Again my whole point behind my original comment is that if MTs don't raise the bar they will always be taken advantage of by places like massage envy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Carrie in Peyton, Colorado

80 months ago

You know certain citie here in this state actually raised the bar. Then some jerk decided to make a news broadcast about massage parlours and now we have been reduced because the state is making a separate law for us and is only requiring the minimum. I for one don't like that. I for one think that the state should go for the higher part and set an example for other states.

Whatever in Washington, District of Columbia

80 months ago

Hi Heather,

I couldn't agree with you more about the being a "do'er". However there is a difference between being a complainer and being aware.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Carrie in Peyton, Colorado

80 months ago

You are also forgettiing another component, the clients. If they would realize that private MT's charge the same amount for their time as ME does, we wouldn't have this fast food type massage business. They think we all charge spa prices which is a falsity. I have a client who came to me because the ME receptionist were rude to her. She was amazed to find someone who charged the same price, actually less according to her because I don't charge tax on her 49.99 like they do, I charge 50 that is it. She told me that she had to go every month whether she wanted to or not because they take that price from her every month. I think that is wrong. You shouldn't be made to be stuck in a relationship like that. I read their contract that they gave her. They really need to be stopped. Remember it isn't just the MT's responsibility to change the way this profession is seen, it is also up to the consumer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Heather Seal

80 months ago

I call the Bullsh** card on that!!Two people who reconized problems educated the M.T world and made it into hall of fames, AND who do medical massage.........

Aware/complain same difference.....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

ditydodumb in San Francisco, California

80 months ago

I have worked for massage envy for over a year, I think they are the greatest thing since sliced bread. I believe they are a great place to hone our skills. I went to a great school, but just going to a great school doesn't make you a great therapist. Its the continuous hands on that makes us good therapist.I believe from what I have heard from past coworkers and the whinners on this post is that they are probably green just out of school with big egos. If you want to put this in focus look at doctors, they do internships at hospitals for several years,before they make big bucks, shut up and do your time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Carrie in Fountain, Colorado

80 months ago

Sure ME is good for those in CA who only need 300 hours to be a MT. But where I am I have to have over 2000 hours just to get a license in certain cities. The more hours we have the better our chances. I don't need ME to hone my skills, I did my time in intership with a chiropractor and a PT. I went to school with nurses, chiro's, PTs and assistants to all medical personnell. So now tell me how does ME benefit me? How can they help me? They can't. All then want to do is use me up like all the other MT's in this area who are like me and have over 1000 hours in massage. I do not find that fair. They should pay us more than the person who takes a weekend course and thinks they know it all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Whatever in Beltsville, Maryland

80 months ago

Typical

licensed Massage Therapist in Hialeah, Florida

79 months ago

client said: Hi. I am glad I found this forum.

I have limited financial resources (otherwise I would go to a deluxe spa which includes many amenities far and above the actual massage), but if I feel any pressure whatsoever to tip in addition to paying a membership fee, then I simply will not join Massage Envy.

I am shocked and disappointed to learn that a membership-based entity would even permit you to accept tips, let alone encourage them

I can't beleive you wrote that, probably you think that Massage Therapists' studies are not expensive and that our responsibility is small compared to the one expected from other jobs. I can tell you don't know much about the therapist's side, well let me tell you: I have several friends that if it wouldn't be because of the tips that they earn they wouldn't even make a living and many of them worked in Massage Envy, the experience there was so bad for one of my friends that she ended up quitting in the massage therapy field and she started studying other medical fields. Nobody says that tipping is mandatory but you must think that it is a way of letting know the therapist that the service was good, also I don't know any massage therapist that can earn a fair amount of $$$ working at Massage Envy just counting on the low comission that they offer and the amount of sessions the therapist can perform a day, plus paying a career that costs over $12,000. Think about it, it is not as easy as everybody thinks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

client said: The amount of money you pay to learn your PROFESSION, i.e. massage therapy, could not possibly be as much as a 4-year university degree or what a professional PHYSICAL THERAPIST pays to learn his or her profession.

Tips are unprofessional.

Well, let me tell you that I paid over $11,000 at a technical school, the same 9 month massage therapy program now costs over $13,000. You either do that or you spend 2 years at a college (of course a lot cheaper but with hidden expenses and added time other than the 2 years), it is not as cheap as people think, at least not in South Florida.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

Not only that, but tell me one other company that goes out of it's way to provide continuing education classes for it's therapists, health insurance at no cost to the employee, and a life insurance policy to be paid out to your loved ones if anything were to happen to you? I find these comments selfish and unwarranted. But luckily for me, and the other owners and operators out there who are interested and extremely invested in bringing this concept to everyone, there are still therapists out there who do work at massage envy and value every client that they have the pleasure of touching. It's not always about the money per massage but the money overall and the abundance of people you get to help. I would love to see a site bashing the people who organize the legal aide branches throughout the country and doctors without borders, I doubt I would see any of their employees complaining about not being paid enough money to pay back their minimum of 8 YEARS of education.
It is more than obvious that not every Massage Envy throughout the US is the same thing, you should get out of the box over there in Georgia and read what people who HAVE WORKED for Massage Envy in other states have to say, there can't be such a general opinion on one matter without it being true. "When the river sounds, water it carries..." Plus, you do not represent an international organization like the ones you mentioned, if you were massages would be free and I don't think they are at the place you run. Are they?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

me in Denver, Colorado said: Look I called ABMP. They don't endorse you any more than they endorse a spa or chiropractor that hires a massage therapist. They give you those prices so that new therapist can get a cheaper rate on the insurance that is all. So don't go saying that you are endorsed by ABMP. They don't endorse any employer or therapist. They give you insurance and that is it. Remember this is a public forum and I can copy and paste what you say to an email to ABMP's ethics committee.

You got him/her on that one, I'll keep it to my records: "copy and paste what you say". This "person" only tryes to defend the business that he/she is running, don't blame him/her for trying to fool everyone that reads this thread. Good Luck with your franchise, you great business owner, or should I say "owner of slavery"? Hahahaha...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Heather Seal

79 months ago

Massage envy sure is known!! and doesnt seem like a good rep! LOL That's ok cause once everyone gets there excperience and from what I read from past clients and even M.T's That place is going to go under. And Im going to sit in front of a M.E drink my coffee and laugh my behind off, while I have my Lic. pinned to my shirt so they can see WHO is laughing!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Discouraged in YouKnow, Texas

78 months ago

Massage Envy Is a horrible nasty and degrading experience for any Massage Therapist Professional.......I KNOW!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Heather Seal

78 months ago

speachless........... <wow thats a first> lol

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Worn out and useless because of ME in Peyton, Colorado

78 months ago

licensed Massage Therapist in Hialeah, Florida said: Not only that, but tell me one other company that goes out of it's way to provide continuing education classes for it's therapists

Massage Envy in Colorado does not do this. If you pay for a course they will let you out of work for the day to take it and that is all
, health insurance at no cost to the employee

employees here pay for their health insurance just like any other job it is not free.

, and a life insurance policy to be paid out to your loved ones if anything were to happen to you?
Never was I offered this!

I find these comments selfish and unwarranted.

Then I suggest you go work for them if you think they are so great. But then you own the joint and that is the problem. Are you even a massage therapist. I would say no
But luckily for me, and the other owners and operators out there who are interested and extremely invested in bringing this concept to everyone, there are still therapists out there who do work at massage envy and value every client that they have the pleasure of touching. It's not always about the money per massage but the money overall and the abundance of people you get to help. I would love to see a site bashing the people who organize the legal aide branches throughout the country and doctors without borders, I doubt I would see any of their employees complaining about not being paid enough money to pay back their minimum of 8 YEARS of education.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

anonymous anonmous in Freehold, New Jersey

78 months ago

To the person who wrote "It is not always about the money..." I respond, if it is not about the money, then why are you not paid the going rate?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Gray Neher in Castle Pines, Colorado

78 months ago

Worn out and useless because of ME in Peyton, Colorado said:

Your post states that ME Colorado does not provide CEU classes. I'm wondering what those 3 days of continuing education classes in March provided at no cost to therapists in the Colorado region were all about? I had 9 therapists from my clinics take advantage of this benefit. I also bought their lunches and paid for their gas or drove them. Sounds like you are making up stories for no reason other than to flame.

78 months ago

Gray:
It is cheaper to pay about $300 for the CEUs for Massage Envy thearpists than it is to pay them standard wages all year long. All newbies should be aware of this.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Anonymous in Freehold, New Jersey

78 months ago

I have been an mt for 2 years now and although I didn't work for Massage Envy, I did work for a similar environment at Hand and Stone. Same exact concept andpays the same (I know someone who did work for M.E)
Let me say this, I now work for a high end spa and make killer money. When at Hand and Stone, my pay was less than an office job I had prior and i was constantly booked with REGULARS!!! They had no concern for the therapist and could care less if I had done 7 massages in a row without a break. They wouldn't think twice to extend my hours without permission. I know ME works the same way. Plus the commission pay out is terrible. I paid a lot of money for my training and spent a long time studying and perfecting my craft. And for the person who thinks we don;t have much training and that tipping is unprofessional, you are obviously not in our industry and out of your mind! Massage school is equivalent to 1st year nursing school. We need to know everything concerning the body and it's functions, diseases, muscles, etc. Are we not allowed to be compensated properly??? The career life of a massage therapist is 8-10 years which means in that time I am hurting my body indefinately as any repetitive motion does and I am putting my heart into making someone feel better but they shouldn't compensate me?? That just means you are plain old cheap and I wouldn't want to be your therapist since you seem so ungrateful to what we are proviing you. Back to Massage Envy, the pay is terrible and you can make more $ by getting into a reputable spa that cares for its emplyees and client's needs. They are rare but they do exist. I even get health insurance partially paid by my employer. Great coverage too. My advice is to stay away from Massage Envy and Hand and Stone!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

anonymous anonmous in Freehold, New Jersey said: Gray:
It is cheaper to pay about $300 for the CEUs for Massage Envy thearpists than it is to pay them standard wages all year long. All newbies should be aware of this.

Just reporting the truth when faced with untruth. Anything and everything ME does is wrong in your book. Your posts just amount to your spin du jour on the same theme.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

Gray:
Hello Gray. You wrote that "everything Massage Envy does is wrong in your book" -- I would like to point out that in the past I have written that they do have a nice waiting area and Tranquility Room which is pretty cool. Still, this does not make up for the substandard pay -- places that pay well also have nice waiting areas. Newbies should consider all the money they are left with workding at a reputable place and paying about $300 for their own CEU versus working at Massage Envy having that covered, but getting substandard wages. At the end of the year, the Massage Envy therapist victim will have much less money.
Note to all: I see that there is another anonymous massage therapist from Freehold. No, that is not me, but glad that he/she agrees with me about Massage Envy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

Gray Neher in Castle Pines, Colorado said: Your post states that ME Colorado does not provide CEU classes. I'm wondering what those 3 days of continuing education classes in March provided at no cost to therapists in the Colorado region were all about? I had 9 therapists from my clinics take advantage of this benefit. I also bought their lunches and paid for their gas or drove them. Sounds like you are making up stories for no reason other than to flame.

Our ME didn't offer these. We were told we could go but we paid for everything. And if they fell on our day to be at the clinic we couldn't go or we would be fired. Sounds to me like you are making it sound better than it is because you own one.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

I did 10-15 massages a day at ME. I can no longer be a MT. I am hurt beyond belief and the doctors want to do surgery now. ME refuses to pay me Workers Comp though they put me in this situation and told me I would lose my job if I didn't stay overtime.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

To Worn out and uselecss because of ME,
Have you contacted a Workman's Compensation attorney? He/she might be willling to take your case on a contingency basis.
I would think twice about surgery. You might want to get extensive bodywork done -- try to get a massage friend to do it and owe them the massages. Also, high doses of vitamin C might help with healing you faster. Possibly accupuncture. Surgery is usually a scam.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

Also, Iyengar Yoga (this one deals with injuries) and chiropractic. Out of all paid services the Iyengar Yoga is the cheapest and is identified by the NIH as a cure for carpal tunnel syndrome -- this yoga may greatly help you to deal from the physical exploitation you had received from working at Massage Envy. Please let me know what happens.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

Did all of that. Still waiting for the court date. I tore way to many ligaments and tendons so my arms won't stay in the sockets. My SITS muscles are all a mess. They were torn because of a year of 15 massages a day at ME. I get regular bodywork done as well as Rolfing. I go see a PT 3 times a week. I am on 5 different types of pain medications. I tried the holistic route first but then I had to go to allopathic for help. Surgery is an option. One I don't want. It hurts to type so I talk into the computer and it types for me. Though it doesn't have all the right words. I had to teach it some. There are days when I can type and when I can even hold a cup for myself.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

TJC in San Antonio, Texas

78 months ago

Worn out and useless because of ME in Peyton, Colorado said: I did 10-15 massages a day at ME. I can no longer be a MT. I am hurt beyond belief and the doctors want to do surgery now. ME refuses to pay me Workers Comp though they put me in this situation and told me I would lose my job if I didn't stay overtime.

I'm sorry to hear of your plyte and hope that you'll be able to resolve your health issues, especially without surgery. However, why did you allow ME to work you like that? Once you started noticing the health issues, you should've spoke up. I used to work in a very similar franchise and would not allow myself to do more than 6 hrs. of massage in one day. I made sure that the company did not over-book me, specifically because of the possible health rammifications(sp?).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

TJC,LMT in San Antonio, Texas

78 months ago

To add, it is ultimately up to us to take care of our health and to practice proper body mechanics. If we're in a position where we can no longer do this, than I believe we need to rethink that position. That's one of the reasons I left the franchise I was with; I was unable to practice the correct body mechanics for me and my body was beginning to show the affects of it (the beginnings of carpal tunnel).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

To Worn Out and Useless in Peyton Co,
I did not realize that the ligamenets were torn. You may need to get surgery -- I would go to the best doctor you can afford (not the cheapest). Maybe one that a football team uses. Add that expense to the damages sought against Massage Envy.
You might want to research something called Reconstructive Surgery. I have not had direct experience with it, but have heard about it: it uses vitamin injections to regrow tissue to strenthen ligaments. I just Googled "ligaments non-surgical" and the following website came up claiming that it can regrow torn ligaments: www.prolotherapy.com/articles/fabernstljr.htm.
Let me know.
As for TJC/LMT from San Antonio Tx's comment, Massage Envy preys upon the financially vulnerable much like a sweat shop.
Are you in some kind of walker?
A tremendous visual that would get media attention and be a night mare for Massage Envy would be if one day a week you were in the shopping center near Massage Envy wearing a sign that read "Massage Envy did this to me." Their customers may get turned off as well. Right before doing this, you might want to call local and state newspapers, television and radio stations tellng them that there is going to be a protest. Ask their fax number or email address for press releases and make one on your computer and send it to all of them. Include your picture with sign (tv and newspapers love visuals). Have it limited to one page with your name and phone number at the top. This is good for they have a way to reach you after the event if they do not get talk to you during the protest. Check with your attorney first. Let me know.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

Because if you don't they fire you. I have seen it happen to a lot of people just like me. I can still walk and all I just can't use my arms. Our last resort is to go to the media. Unfortunately, massage envy is owned by business people and not massage therapist which I think it should be owned by. Then the therapist would get a better employment setting. Massage therapist know that pushing like ME does is bad for the body. Business people don't care about that. They just want profit.

TJC-LMT in San Antonio, Texas

78 months ago

I am completely aware of the kind of business Massage Envy is. The franchise I worked for is practically the same thing; Massage Heights is its name, so I know how they work. Massage Heights, like ME, is also run by non-therapists. I spoke up several times about the "over-worked" issues, which I'm sure they didn't appreciate. But like I said before, we ultimately have to take our careers into our own hands. I left due to lack of respect for all the therapists and lack of pay.

WORN OUT AND USELESS: Again, I hope that you're able to resolve your health issues. No one deserves to be treated in that manner.

Gray Neher in Denver, Colorado

78 months ago

Worn out and useless because of ME in Peyton, Colorado said: Our ME didn't offer these. We were told we could go but we paid for everything. And if they fell on our day to be at the clinic we couldn't go or we would be fired. Sounds to me like you are making it sound better than it is because you own one.

This sounds like the work of a troll to me. All of the clinics in Colorado offerred CEU at no charge to the therapist for the last two years. No clinic owner in Colorado is being sued by a Workman's Comp lawyer - we all met this morning; it would have been a topic. Worn out is just posting anonymously to incite the flame.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Lu in Soulsbyville, California

78 months ago

Eric in Toronto, Ontario said: I'm curious about people's experience with Massage Envy. I hear a lot of negative comments especially with regards their pay scale. Has any therapist found working at Massage Envy to be a positive experience? Are you able to accept tips at Massage Envy? Are there other perks in working there in terms of professional development or benefits?

I've worked at two different Massage Envys in two states... it was all the same: the main focus was getting the client to "enroll" in the membership with the robotic sales pitch was how it "supposed" to benefit them on the "savings". The massage therapist was the one who really sold them on the massage (not to mention worked their asses off for it)but it seemed that the sales associates got the better end of the deal by the money commission earned for the package and other perks.In short, it was slave labor and even felt a little back stabbed by the promises by management.I will never work there again....
Tips? It's all up to the individual on how they want to handle it and no ones business. To be honest my passion is massage and to help people. I give it my all in my massage and treat the person as if I were on that table getting the massage. I've given above and beyond on top of the cost of the massage. But if I did'nt get a tip... o'well,it is what it is ...but it's good when it happens!
I do feel sorry for all the young massage students(or any)fresh out of school who choose Massage Envy as their first job. PLEASE, look else where...Yes,it is rough out there and it's hard to sell yourself, but NEVER short change yourself. Believe in your craft. The need to help others is out there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

F.S. in Panama City, Florida

78 months ago

client said: The amount of money you pay to learn your PROFESSION, i.e. massage therapy, could not possibly be as much as a 4-year university degree or what a professional PHYSICAL THERAPIST pays to learn his or her profession.

Tips are unprofessional.

Obviously....you've never relied on tips to pay your bills!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

lmt in Bedford, Texas

78 months ago

sally said: Massage Envy really takes advantage of their MT and if you have any self respect you won't stay employed there long.

I sure hope by insulting therapist who are making a living immediatley out of school while learning the business you know what you are talking about. Have you worked at massage envy? I got paid less and was treated much worse by a chiropractor. Here I can get contining education (paid for) practice until my confidence build and not have to worry about overhead that what they are paid to do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

manager in Bedford, Texas

78 months ago

I have limited financial resources (otherwise I would go to a deluxe spa which includes many amenities far and above the actual massage), but if I feel any pressure whatsoever to tip in addition to paying a membership fee, then I simply will not join Massage Envy.

I am shocked and disappointed to learn that a membership-based entity would even permit you to accept tips, let alone encourage them

you are expected to tip even greater at a deluxe spa. We offer a preventive, life changing, and healing therapy to you and a discounted rate to allow the people to understand the depths of the benefits. It is not a luxury and should not be treated as so, with that said your therapist gets a dirrect portion of the 70 dollar massage hadded to them by you and that is what you call a tip. They did not bring you tea or a burger! They excelerated your metabollism, got your circulation going, took that painful headache away, the crick your neck that wont let you sleep....it is gone. Some can even move better after a massage. You are right it isnt a deluxe spa where all they do is put aroma oil on you and rub you to sleep...you get relief at envy not because of us, it is the L.M.T. WORKING on you at and discounted rate.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

manager in Bedford, Texas

78 months ago

Carrie in Peyton, Colorado said: Sock it to em Heather! Your right. I think our best bet as massage therapist is to do what the nurses did. Make ourselves only available to the medical society. Then they would have to have insurance or pay through the nose for a massage. That kind of regulation would make us way more money and put place like ME out of business. Then where would you go for stress relieve folks. You wouldn't even be able to get massaged at a Spa.

places like massage envy will saturate themselves and start closing just like starbucks. Meanwhile they helped educate the less informed on how beneficial massage is with that knowledge people will pay what they need to in order to heal themselves.

some one who cares in Bedford, Texas

78 months ago

licensed Massage Therapist in Hialeah, Florida said: I can't beleive you wrote that, probably you think that Massage Therapists' studies are not expensive and that our responsibility is small compared to the one expected from other jobs. I can tell you don't know much about the therapist's side, well let me tell you: I have several friends that if it wouldn't be because of the tips that they earn they wouldn't even make a living and many of them worked in Massage Envy, the experience there was so bad for one of my friends that she ended up quitting in the massage therapy field and she started studying other medical fields. Nobody says that tipping is mandatory but you must think that it is a way of letting know the therapist that the service was good, also I don't know any massage therapist that can earn a fair amount of $$$ working at Massage Envy just counting on the low comission that they offer and the amount of sessions the therapist can perform a day, plus paying a career that costs over $12,000. Think about it, it is not as easy as everybody thinks.

Let's get off the "pay back I need for educating myself" routine!! We did not chose a career that allows us to sit at a desk on our butts. We physically perform. Do not pay me for the money I put into helping others which broken down can excede all that has been printed. PAY ME FOR WHAT I DO FOR YOU. My doctor charges 120.00 just to be seen and usually I walk out with a prescribtion that masks the problem, but does cure it in the long run. I massage people because I believe in what I do and I will continue to put hundreds of dollars into my continuing education. I may never break ahead financially, but I will help others I like those rewards. the money will follow....I do make a good living there is nothing I lack.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

relax283 in South Boston, Massachusetts

78 months ago

Wow, I work at Massage Envy, I get health ins. at 50% paid, I get sick days, i get paid vacation, I get paid holidays.
I guess all owners are not the same!
Good luck to all!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

To relax283:
You get, "...health ins. at 50% paid... sick days...paid vacation...paid holidays..." and paid HALF of what most massage places pay.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

MagicSun in Edmonds, Washington

78 months ago

Although this is an interesting "venting" so far. I think that the significant points are missing. Massage is not McDonalds and it's not WalMart. Massage is a healing art that can trace it's original practice back thousands of years. Not all LMP's are the same. States that have requirements (also not the same) generally require a 500 hour program as a minimum. I graduated from a 1000 hour program at one of the best schools on the west coast. Which means that my massage is as good as most LMP's who have been working for 2-3 years as Independent Practitioners.

Compensation is based on a multitude of factors, but mainly, for massage it is the quality of the massage experience and the number of people demanding that experience.

Massage Envy Managers who have a business model which pays LMPs less than 50% of the cost of the service provided (in wages and benefits) are either overcharging their clients or have excessive overhead costs (spending too much on ineffective ads or too much on support staff/facilities).

Clients may be uninformed, but very few are stupid. If I purchase a service provided by another human being and they are receiving less than half of my money - I will mentally seek to change that. I will feel uncomfortable receiving continued service at that business or seek ways to circumvent the payment process. Child labor, slave labor,

Massage Envy is contacting a sector of the public that either has not received massage or only received "vacation spa" massages (placing hot stones on the back followed by a nice oily rub down). I would be interested to see the repeat client stats over a 2-year period. Since ME is new, I'm sure most of the manager's would like to see this also! But, eventually it will be available and I think it support my claim.

The Managers who treat their LMP's like respected and talented therapists will have higher repeat customers over longer periods of time.

Continued

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

MagicSun in Edmonds, Washington

78 months ago

Part 2

The Minimum wage ME outlets will have excessive LMP turnover, which will impact many clients resulting in fewer sessions and fewer repeat clients. These managers will incorrectly attempt to fix the situation by increasing advertising and special offers.

I'm a talented massage therapist, I don't have a problem with clients wanting to receive another massage from me. It is simply a matter of each client's need to balance their health benefits against their available resources. But, if the majority of my efforts are being spent on unproductive ads or excess support staff, I will find an alternative place to work. Because I know that if I'm having a bad day, all of my clients will receive a mediocre massage and I refuse to work in a bad environment.

As for the lady concerned about tipping - if I'm being paid adequately for my services I expect my clients only to tip me when they want to extend their gratitude for my work. If you received a massage from me, I think you find that gratuity would not seem out of place or unprofessional. It would be a personal choice.

That many Massage Envy managers appear to under-compensate their LMP employees with the expectation that Clients will "make up the difference" is an unprofessional work ethic that can be found in many different service industries. It is sad for many LMP's to witness this because most of us are coming from Massage Schools that provide a very different environment than the "business" schools these managers appear to have attended.

My only complaint is for the managers who are apathetic to the talent that is slipping through their doors. It won't always be there, the good schools are closing their doors as the mega-chain schools take over. Once a skilled LMP leaves ME, I doubt 10 horses could pull them back in. That is a sad way to run a company...

M

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

lady luv in Atlanta, Georgia

78 months ago

I'm shocked and disappointed that I bust my tail to give people good work and not only does the company that I work for not want to pay me, but a client is complaining about tipping. But that's ok because the universe is an equalizer and if you don't want to pay for good work eventually people will stop caring and investing so much time and energy into developing their craft and good therapists will be hard to find. No one wants to pay $12000 to go to school and only make $300 a week. That's not even a living wage. So don't come to Massage Envy, hopefully they'll go out of business and the industry won't be so watered down. And their may not be as many therapist or as many clients but the therapist will be good and the clients will be appreciative. No one likes to be taken for granted.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

lady luv in Atlanta, Georgia

78 months ago

Tips are unprofessional.

Massage is just as much of a profession as physical therapy. we have to have a lisence, we have to take CE classes and I had to pay $12000 to go to school which is almost as much as going to my state university for 4 years. We work very hard to help people and we're tired of being unappreciated and treated like we're less important then other practitioners. Why don't you try it. Why don't you go to school and bust your butt and give 30 massages a week and deal with people who want to soak up the benefits without giving you your just due. I have to make a living to, I have to pay my bills and take care of my health just like anyone else. If I get carpal tunnel from doing this work I need to make enough money to pay my medical expenses. DO THE WORK AND THEN JUDGE US!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

R in Lebanon, Pennsylvania said: When the owner of the Spa decides to give a 50% discount off of a service, is it legal for this also to come out of my paycheck? I can't seem to find anything about it on the net, so if anyone knows anything I'd appriciate it, because it makes a massive difference on check.
Thanks

What Spa?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

R in Lebanon, Pennsylvania

78 months ago

Any in general - just asking :O)

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.