Massage Envy experiences...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (151 to 200 of 1545)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next »   Last »

Ash in Harrisburg, North Carolina

72 months ago

Hi guys, I work as a lead therapist in Charlotte, NC. I think ME owners are all different. I get paid 50%ins,salary plus commision, all my tips plus a few other bonuses. But my commision is around 33% of what ME charges which isnt bad considering all the other perks I get. If you find the right owner ME is not a bad place. I understand some ppl have had a bad experience but we take care of our therapists...for ex we are allowed to set a max amout of deep tissues a day..that way we dont wear our selves out...plus our owner always brings us food and throws parties year round to keep moral up. Just make sure you are getting in with a good owner.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

R in Lebanon, Pennsylvania

72 months ago

I would not like to say, as I like where I work, but am just curious if that is standard or not. Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Gray Neher in Castle Pines, Colorado

72 months ago

R in Lebanon, Pennsylvania said: Any in general - just asking :O)

Not sure what's legal or not in your case. If you get paid percentage then, yes, you would share the discount. If you get paid straight then, no, probably not.

jeff breaux in Fremont, California

72 months ago

Do you pay tips to waiters when you go out to eat are do you feel when some one provides a service their salary should be a way to say thank you for their sevices they perform for you?

client said: The amount of money you pay to learn your PROFESSION, i.e. massage therapy, could not possibly be as much as a 4-year university degree or what a professional PHYSICAL THERAPIST pays to learn his or her profession.

Tips are unprofessional.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

maya backhertz in Leesburg, New Jersey

72 months ago

When the owner of the Spa decides to give a 50% discount off of a service, is it legal for this also to come out of my paycheck? I can't seem to find anything about it on the net, so if anyone knows anything I'd appriciate it, because it makes a massive difference on check.
Thanks

we've owned massage places since 1997 as therapists - i would never never ask a therapist to take a hit on a discount i offered to a client to entice business or whatever. that discount is building your owner's business, not yours - if that client does come back and you are not there your owner going to book that client with some other therapist - i'm just saying i think it is very unfair of your owner not to say unethical but cant be illegal.

we do a lot of business iwth a certain hotel that sends us customers, we give a 15% commission to the hotel on the people they send us, i do not ask massage therapists to take that hit. the hotel is sending clients to our business, we may do the massage ourselves, we may book to another therapist but all in all it is our establishemtn that gains. so we shld take the hit. we pay straight fee per service that works out to about 47% for massage less for body treatments. i did ask our esthetician however who is getting 60/40 to take some of the hit on this hotel client ie she will discount her fee by 10% for this hotel client.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

anji in Las Vegas, Nevada

72 months ago

Eric in Toronto, Ontario said: I'm curious about people's experience with Massage Envy. I hear a lot of negative comments especially with regards their pay scale. Has any therapist found working at Massage Envy to be a positive experience? Are you able to accept tips at Massage Envy? Are there other perks in working there in terms of professional development or benefits?

I have worked at a massage envy in Jax, Fl. They kept me busy, for sure, but the pay scale DOES NOT reflect the hard work put in. Tips are accepted, but most do not. it seemed that people going to massage envy for the discount, as a whole, do not appreciate the therapists' hard work...looking only for the discounted service, as they didn't follow me when I left because I was "too expensive". Keep in mind I only charged $55/hr opposed to $39 & $49/hr with their membership at M.E.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Monica in Avon, Ohio

71 months ago

client said: The amount of money you pay to learn your PROFESSION, i.e. massage therapy, could not possibly be as much as a 4-year university degree or what a professional PHYSICAL THERAPIST pays to learn his or her profession.

Tips are unprofessional.

I have to disagree with you. A physical therapist gets an hourly pay, health insurance, benefits...ect...massage therapists do not have those luxuries. Massage therapists are over-worked, under-paid, and under-valued in their profession. I have a B.A. and am also a licensed massage therapist. Additionally, I have spent over $10,000 in continuing educaton to become a better therapist. Your education does not stop when you are finished with your 12-24 month program in massage therapy, rather it begins.

I am working on fighting for our profession, fighting for our respect as therapists. Massage therapy has endless benefits, for you, the client. Whether you are maintaining your health, or healing an injury, beit mental or physical...massage therapy is highly beneficial. Everyday, through testimonial and study, the benefits of massage therapy become evident.

Someday, we, massage therapists, will be given the respect we deserve. Then, clients will not have to tip, because we will be getting paid a living wage, with benefits and with the understanding that 4-5 massages per day, is about all our bodies can handle, as we must stay in good health as well.

~ Enjoy The Benefits of Massage ~

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Rita in Reno, Nevada

71 months ago

Tips are unprofessional.

I happen to see a massage therapist regularly and am thinking about becoming one. I always tip her as well, knowing like me she is trying to make a living and feed her family. Who couldn't use extra moola in todays economy. I am happy tip her and I know she is not offended by it. Coming from someone who has had a cervical fusion, I would be in pain without her. Not to be rude to the person's comment about tipping. This is just coming from the patient's side of things. I would be offended if she thought it rude of me to tip her cause my hard earned money, which isn't a lot is not good enough for her and her family.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Rita in Reno, Nevada

71 months ago

Also, I apologize for my bad grammar in my last post.

John Q Public in Boston, Massachusetts

71 months ago

I have received massage for years. I have experienced many different styles of massage. I do prefer the deep tissue with deep pressure kind. I am hard pressed to find a therapist who can do that.
Whenever I find one, they either move away or get hurt and can't do it anymore.

I believe that tipping is not only morally correct, it's professionally correct. My goodness, I even tip the person in the window of my local Dunkin Donuts for handing me my coffee.

So why wouldn't I tip a massage therapist who's taking a chance of injuring themselves on me and putting themselves out of a job?

On the other hand, if I don't get a good massage, then the tip is of equal quality. What comes around, goes around.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

John Q Public in Boston, Massachusetts

71 months ago

CARI FRAMINGHAM,MA in Hanover, Maryland said: ENTRY LEVER AS A LMT IM LOOKING FOR A JOB. AROUND THE FRAMINGHAM AREA OR NEAR BY.

There's a Massage Envy in Dedham Mass that just opened. You need to have a Massachusetts license to work there, though.

Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Gray Neher in Castle Pines, Colorado

71 months ago

John Q Public in Boston, Massachusetts said: I have received massage for years. I have experienced many different styles of massage. I do prefer the deep tissue with deep pressure kind. I am hard pressed to find a therapist who can do that.
Whenever I find one, they either move away or get hurt and can't do it anymore.

I believe that tipping is not only morally correct, it's professionally correct. My goodness, I even tip the person in the window of my local Dunkin Donuts for handing me my coffee.

So why wouldn't I tip a massage therapist who's taking a chance of injuring themselves on me and putting themselves out of a job?

On the other hand, if I don't get a good massage, then the tip is of equal quality. What comes around, goes around.

Extremely well put.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Cindy in Methuen, Massachusetts

71 months ago

Eric in Toronto, Ontario said: I'm having a hard time understanding the logic I see in this discussion list.

If you look at any surveys of MTs income in the States, it's consistently around $20,000 per year. Most are self-employed so for $20K they are assuming the risk of operating a business and having to do both hands on work and admin.

At $15 per hour plus tips, a Massage Envy employee would be making well over $30,000 per year (assuming two weeks

oliday) with no responsibility for admin and running a business. Given the stats, the largest percentage of therapists would be much better off financially working for Massage Envy than they would working for themselves.

Doesn't matter how you cut it: One client at $15 per hour is worth much more than zero clients at $70 per hour. Just my two cents.

I am sorry Eric, but your comment on the pay for Massage therapists is either ignorant or you are uneducated on the actual physical work a Massage therapists does. The figures you have woked out for $30,000 a year would mean a therapist would be working 40 hours a week, meaning they would be doing physically 40 massages a week. Obviously you do not perform massage for a living.
20- 25 massages a week is physically exhausting! I KNOW I DO IT! yes the money is fine (mostly when I work for myself) the place I work for pays a bit more than you, but not much. (another franchise exploiting therapists) What is a person suppose to do in the economy situation.

WE NEED UNIONS FOR MASSAGE THERAPISTS! so people who run franchises like you and ELEMENTS Therapeutic Massage stop exploiting us EDUCATED MASSAGE THERAPISTS!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Monica-LMT in Avon, Ohio

71 months ago

Yes, I agree...we need some sort of union as massage therapists are exploited on a daily basis, not by their patients or clients but by those who hire them as employees or independent contractors.

I have worked in a Spa as an employee and as an independent contractor (incidently, the independent part of the equation was not quite there)...in the Spa I was over worked and under paid vs. contractor where I was tethered to my house until an appointment should arise.

So, now I work out of my home office and it has been much more fulfilling. If you give a good massage, can network, word will get out and you will succeed. There are plenty of people wanting a good massage and that number continues to grow as society learns how beneficial massage therapy truly is.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Cindy in Methuen, Massachusetts

71 months ago

HI Monica,

thank you so much for your reply, I truly agree with you about networking and giving a good massage, do you have any marketing suggestions you could pass along. I do from time to time advertise on the interenet but not as many decent persons replies, sometimes I get some people asking for more than just an honet therapeutic massage which is something that is highly irritating as the employers that take advantage of us.

Monica-LMT in Avon, Ohio

71 months ago

I understand! Have you checked out www.massageanywhere.com? you can place an ad for free, and I have had pretty good luck...when a potential client calls, I ask them what kind a massage they are looking for: medical, deep tissue..ect...then they may say "I have TMJ and shoulder problems"...and I pretty much can figure they are serious about seeking massage 'therapy'.

I also have my fiance here when I work on male clients....he stays in his office, but if anything should happen, I am not here alone.

Additionally, I post flyers at the local coffee shop along with my cards, health food stores, and the local womens fitness centers....fitness centers are great, the people there are working on improving or maintaining their health & they Love massage or are curious enough to book one. (I give members special discount and the owner of the club free for allowing me to advertise at their establishment...employees 50% off..). Works out nicely for everyone involved, and either way, discount or not, I am still earning more per massage than as an employee or independent contractor.

I have also written an article on the benefits of massage for the local newspaper- still trying to get it published....

And the # 1 thing I have learned is : Patience, Perseverence & Persistance....build it and they will come!

~ Enjoy The Benefits of Massage ~

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

anonymous anonmous in Freehold, New Jersey

71 months ago

Eric:
Thank you for sharing, but there are some major flaws in your argument pertaining to data that you are apparantly not aware of. True, that the Massage Envy that I used to work for paid $15.00 per massage; however, what you have not considered is the following: 1) you do not get a massage every shift. While the Massage Envy massage parlor sees a whopping number of clients per day, 100 +, most of these clients are "requests" going to the new therapists not to the new therapist. Also, many of the women clients indicate a gender preference of a another woman instead of a man; 2) while I was waiting to get one massage in one particular eight hour shift, I was sent home after just being there for two hours, so I only made $22 that day. That is less money than working at McDonald's; and 3) there are too many massage therapists working any given shift, so each therapist got less clients. They used a lot of extra therapists so every regular could be seen and if not enough new people walked in you were the dispensible asset that they sent home.
So in recap, Massage Envy is a bad place to work for Massage Therapists. Even if you are happy with making $15 per massage (my massage is worth much more than that), you need to consider that you do not control how much of the traffic entering the door will go to you and you do not control how long you get to stay to see how many clients you can get (when all of the therapists are with someone already you could have a chance, but you often can be sent home before then). I know make over three times what I made at Massage Envy and I control when I stop for the day. F-ck Massage Envy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

anonymous anonmous in Freehold, New Jersey

71 months ago

typo correction -- comment numbered number one phrase should have read, "...100 +, most of these clients are 'requests' going to the therapists who have been working there a while, not to the new therapist"

Monica-LMT in Avon, Ohio

71 months ago

The way I figure it is....if you have to spend all the time and energy building up a clientele...aren't you better off simply working for yourself? Whether you rent space somewhere or work out of your home, the benefits are far greater working for yourself....then, as your clientele grows, all your hard work pays off, vs. merely making 15$ per 'possible' massage.

I have worked as an employee as well as an independent contractor...the only way I have found to be successful in the massage therapy field, is to be ON YOUR OWN.....heck with Massage Envy, heck with all those 'luxury spas' paying you 9$ per massage and over working you....Be you OWN entity and you will have a much more fulfilling career.

It is not easy, but either are the other options, and at least on your own, you reap ALL the reward for you hard work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

LMT in MA in Whitman, Massachusetts

71 months ago

That's great, but how does one compete price wise with a Massage Envy?
$40 massages are great and all that, but how can the therapist survive on such a paltry sum?

If what people are saying is true:
$15 - $18 per massage.
Tips from $5 - $30 per hour.
Linens, oils or lotions, heat, hot water, electricity, receptionist.

Now this is great for Massage Envy due to the fact that they're counting on volume to make up for the low price. And I understand that ME's membership price is $60/month. But what ME is trying to do is to get people in for two or more times a month. If a member comes in for a massage a week, that's a paltry $180/ month plus tips as opposed to the "normal" price of $240(@$60) - $320(@$80) - $480(@$120). What customer in their right mind would pay that much more for a massage if they're getting frequent massages?

So, how can the single therapist make it out there when they're competing with a local ME?

I'm sorry, but $40 hour can't even touch all of these expenses, let alone have some money left over for the therapist in private practice to take home. So does the single therapist raise the amount they charge or keep it low and go broke? If the fees are raised, then will the clients still want a more expensive massage?

Any opinions?

George in Peyton, Colorado

71 months ago

I only charge 45 dollars for mine and I have 4 - 6 a day. I am making it. I pay 150 a month for the room with everything included meaning lights and all. I do my wash at my home. Plus I get it taken off my taxes for my expenses.

tammy in Miami, Florida

71 months ago

Eric in Toronto, Ontario said: I'm curious about people's experience with Massage Envy. I hear a lot of negative comments especially with regards their pay scale. Has any therapist found working at Massage Envy to be a positive experience? Are you able to accept tips at Massage Envy? Are there other perks in working there in terms of professional development or benefits?
here in naples florida they pay their therapists 15 per massage. not including tips ha what a joke

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

I think that every massage envy in every state is different. I have some clients come in from other states and they only pay 39 a month for their membership. On the other hand our membership is 49 and is going up to 59 at the end of the month. It is true a lot of clients are requests and go to olders employees...but this is true for all jobs...you have to start at the bottom and work up your business...even if you owned your own clinic. Massage Envy's policy is that all sessions that are not requests are to be dispursted equally. Perhaps all owners do not follow this policy. I know at my clinic we will often book males first because it is harder to fill up their schedule. Our starting pay was 15 when we opened but because of our price increase at the end of this month all base pays are going up 2.50...so a new therapists start pay will be 17.50. And it does not take long to get raises..once every 3 months. In two years any therapist will get paid twenty dollars a session or more plus tips. Plus there are all the other perks..extra for requests, bonuses for selling most memberships, free ceus, Health insurance coverage, the advantage of having a flexable schedule and massages for therapists are only 20 bucks. Plus you do no laundry and don't have to worry about paying the bills or running out of supplies. I think the most important thing when getting into a big company like ME is speaking directly to the owner...make sure you get a good vibe from him or her. Also talk to current employees and get their opinion on the work environment. It's all about getting in with a good owner and standing up for yourself when you feel it is necessary. Otherwise how will the ppl you work for even know there is a problem...most often they are not therapists themsleves and do not know what we go through. Also i have a good idea of both sides. I owned my own clinic and i have worked for Me. I recently got promotion at ME and am closing my business!!!

LMT in Whitman, Massachusetts

71 months ago

I wouldn't be too hasty in closing your own business. ME's aren't going to last that long. I don't know how old you are or where you are in life, but closing your own business down to run a business for somebody else isn't a great career move (I'm assuming you're going to be a CA for your ME). In that case, they'll want you on salary and available for at least 50 hours a week.

If you're not going to be the CA and just a lead therapist, DON'T. That's just about the unwisest decision you could make.

Just trying to help you see the light here.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

LMT in Whitman, Massachusetts said: I wouldn't be too hasty in closing your own business. ME's aren't going to last that long. I don't know how old you are or where you are in life, but closing your own business down to run a business for somebody else isn't a great career move (I'm assuming you're going to be a CA for your ME). In that case, they'll want you on salary and available for at least 50 hours a week.

If you're not going to be the CA and just a lead therapist, DON'T. That's just about the unwisest decision you could make.

Just trying to help you see the light here.

I have been a lead therapist for several months now and I love it. My boss is really great. And the work I am doing is really improving our clinc plus i get to make my own schedule. I work closly with the CA and the owner daily so that we meet our max potential and so all of our therapists are happy. And the owner never once mentioned I would have to close my own business. To be honest with the money I make I don't even need to work full time much less have 2 jobs. And by the way ME is the second fastest growing business in the US right now. We are not going anywhere. You see, we are the double golden arches of the massage business my friend.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

NA in Kansas City, Missouri

70 months ago

You are better off working for yourself. All these spas and ME are the same. Thank You

alex in Los Angeles, California

70 months ago

I have try to apply for a job At the massage Envy here in Seal beach. The only thing I have to say. is that they are very unprofessional , Every thing was said were a total lied. And yet they made like they.re the greatest company to work for.. And Yes they do expect more from you and paid you peanut for your times. If you have heard negative thinga about Massage Envy...it's all True...Dont go there for any reasons.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

clowngrrl@sbcglobal.net in Los Angeles, California

69 months ago

Tips are unprofessional.

Uh.....maybe you should leave your name so we massage therapists can pass you on to someone else because you don't tip!! You are cheap! People like you frustrate us MT's when we only make a small percentage of each massage we get! Cheap cheap cheap!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

gavin in Palm Springs, California

69 months ago

i hav been working at massage envy for about 5 months an i like it the people are cool the money is ok u do recieve cash tips that day tips that go on credit cards go on ur check
u get a chance to work on a lot of people an perfect ur routine if u hav any other qestions u can email me at gavinjay85@live.com

Tracy in Bakersfield, California

69 months ago

Tips are unprofessional.

Tips are unprofessional, really? Do you tip your food server or your hair dresser?

My dear, you are a cheapskate! :)

alex in Los Angeles, California

69 months ago

for your information..I DO TIP VERY WELL..THANKS YOU...AND I AM A MASSAGE THERAPIST NOT A CLIENT...SO READ IT BEFORE YOU REPLIED WITH SUCH A RUDE COMMENT...I do work hard to earn my living...Am not a prostitute like many other massage therapist that claimed that they are massage therapist...SO PLEASE GO elsewhere if you don't have anything good to say,on this forum..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Jane in Bakersfield, California

69 months ago

boo hoo, Alex. If you aren't the poster that claims to think it's unprofessional to take tips, then what's your problem?

If, on the other hand, you do think it's unprofessional to take tips, you're an idiot.

And pssst...........I'll post here as often as I please. :)

69 months ago

alex in Los Angeles, California said: for your information..I DO TIP VERY WELL..THANKS YOU...AND I AM A MASSAGE THERAPIST NOT A CLIENT...SO READ IT BEFORE YOU REPLIED WITH SUCH A RUDE COMMENT...I do work hard to earn my living...Am not a prostitute like many other massage therapist that claimed that they are massage therapist...SO PLEASE GO elsewhere if you don't have anything good to say,on this forum..

Who said anything about prostitutes. Are you one? Hmmm...did I hit a nerve?

69 months ago

Poor poor Alex. The last word is yours, my dear. Apparently your sagging ego needs it. :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Dee in Germantown, Tennessee

69 months ago

Owner/Clinic Administrator in Atlanta, Georgia said: I'm saddened to see so many massage therapists who feel so negatively about what Massage Envy is trying to accomplish. Our whole goal is to bring massage to the masses and to allow all people to benefit from a therapeutic massage session regardless of whether or not they make a ton of money. How could you expect any business to pay you more than half of what they make on a service? Especially when all you are require to provide is your talent. The Massage Envy's all over the nation are dolling out big bucks to provide you with a safe and professional environment to practice your trade in and you are basically crapping in the hand that feeds you. Not only that, but tell me one other company that goes out of it's way to provide continuing education classes for it's therapists, health insurance at no cost to the employee, and a life insurance policy to be paid out to your loved ones if anything were to happen to you? I find these comments selfish and unwarranted. But luckily for me, and the other owners and operators out there who are interested and extremely invested in bringing this concept to everyone, there are still therapists out there who do work at massage envy and value every client that they have the pleasure of touching. It's not always about the money per massage but the money overall and the abundance of people you get to help. I would love to see a site bashing the people who organize the legal aide branches throughout the country and doctors without borders, I doubt I would see any of their employees complaining about not being paid enough money to pay back their minimum of 8 YEARS of education.

Working for Massage Envy is close to Penis Envy. I didn't last a full week there. The wages are poor and when a member doesn't show up or no one calls in to schedule an appointment, you are just sitting there looking stoo-pid and not getting paid a dayum thing. It was horrible working there

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

Dee in Germantown, Tennessee said: Working for Massage Envy is close to Penis Envy. I didn't last a full week there. The wages are poor and when a member doesn't show up or no one calls in to schedule an appointment, you are just sitting there looking stoo-pid and not getting paid a dayum thing. It was horrible working there

OMG That's way funny! Penis envy!! LOL!!

Seriously, that is so sad for new massage techs to be treated so badly. This really could be a beautiful career path. It's sad that Massage Envy is harming the profession.

Brenda in Lakeville, Minnesota

69 months ago

I have been working at a ME for alittle over six monthes now, I like them for doing all the bookings, linen cleaning ect.. but they are not particually fair or nice to the therapists. At least in the clinic I am in. The basic feelings of the owners are if you dont like it you can leave and believe me there is alot not to like. So the chain as a whole may not be bad its the owners and CA's you have to deal with that can make the job rough.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

coro

69 months ago

Tips are unprofessional.

ARE YOU KIDDING!!!! Iwent from ironworker to massage therapist and my body is totaly more abused as a massage therapist! HEY CLIENT, YOU TRY MASSAGEING FOR 4-8 HOURS A DAY!!! Most people can't even massage their spouse's for more than a few minutes!!!! If you have not been in our shoes, then don't judge!!! If you don't tip a massage therapist who is being used up at a spa, then you don't deserve a good massage! you are a user!!!

coro

69 months ago

Massage Therapist (no more) in Hyattsville, Maryland said: Hi Freehold, NJ. I am very interested in your idea of unionizing MT can you share you thoughts. I think this is a direction that massage therapy may have to go.

I am also interested in forming a union for massage therapists. I cme from a union background, ironworker and boilermaker, and feel that having made a careere change that unionizing this profession would bring it to a level of non-abuse by employers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

I massaged a person today that refused to tip and they refuse to tip anyone. They said "I don't believe in tipping. They should pay you more if you don't make enough money. It's not fair that I have to pay to get massaged and then pay you too."

I told them, it's too bad you feel that way, I'm afraid that that's the last massage you'll get from me.

The other therapists I work with won't say anything to this person.

I've just about had it with these people.

Kate in Voorhees, New Jersey

68 months ago

client said: Hi. I am glad I found this forum.

I have limited financial resources (otherwise I would go to a deluxe spa which includes many amenities far and above the actual massage), but if I feel any pressure whatsoever to tip in addition to paying a membership fee, then I simply will not join Massage Envy.

I am shocked and disappointed to learn that a membership-based entity would even permit you to accept tips, let alone encourage them

When a therapist is employed with a corporation, or any spa for that matter, they aren't getting paid the full amount for your massage, the company takes a very large cut varying from 70-80 percent. Just like waitresses and other under appreciated service workers, (or in a massage therapists' case..under appreciated HEALTHCARE worker)....we rely on tips for the bulk of our income, so just remember that the next time you feel the need to get all huffy about showing appreciation to someone who is highly skilled and educated and has a very physically demanding job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

coro

68 months ago

Most folks have NO idea what it takes to become and or to work as a massage therapist. I was totally amazed at the difficulty of the course to get educated and not only that, most schools move you thru in a short period of time and to actully understand enough to know the material to pass the exams you have to study on your own all the time and fiqure out the material. The physical demands of giving a good massage, especially deep tissue, are in a range that most folks could never do on an hourly basis 4- 6 times a day. I have heard of several gals that have to soak their arms in ice after working at a spa that books them back to back 6-9 massages a day!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Monica, B.A., LMT in Cleveland, Ohio

68 months ago

I agree= I worked in a "European Day Spa" for only three months. They had no respect for me nor the massage therapy profession, all they cared about was booking you as many massages a day as possible....no break. I averaged 7 per day, back to back. I was even expected to massage the owner and staff for free. And, they only paid me 9.00$ per hour. I work too hard to depend on tips.

Now,I have a private practice out of my home where I can focus on healing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

coro

68 months ago

YEAY! In my opinion, unless the industry becomes unionized, like nurses, we will be used and abused. The only way to do it is to have your own biz, you go girl!

68 months ago

I worked in other occupations and was in a union. It was a joke, the two unions I was in did virtually nothing during contract time (IUE). I lost thousands of dollars in lost revenue when we went on strike and all I got for my trouble was a lousy penny an hour increase. The other union (AFLCIO) just collected dues and did nothing but concede to the company.

So, I'll never join another union. I'll just quit my massage job and work at Micky D's. At least they have affordable insurance.

Cindy in Boston, Massachusetts

68 months ago

Hi Cindy,

Don't give up if you really love what you do, and you are special for being a massage therapist. Did you ever hear of a company called Elements check it out and see if one is near you. They do give affordable health benefits and you get decent tips and bonuses as well. Nothing is better than working for yourself because you make all the money. Just check it out.

HOpe I helped
Jacqui

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

coro

68 months ago

the union thing is true, a lot of these guys 'hide & seek for a grand a week', I was in ironwork, bottom line, it was a great paying job, benefits were fantastic, the companies could never screw us over, now there is the drug impact so everyone gets drug tested, we made a living wage and then some and were educatged in the trade for free or paid education and retirement. But there are jerks who won't work, the unions are corrupt like so much of everything else, but at least we knew we weren't getting screwed, like working for $15 and hour or even $10 bucks an hour on a cruise ship and not being 'health providers' but sales people working our ass off for a tip we may or may not get. I was shocked in school when they told me how spas pay and how they work the LMT. Seems counter productive, the guest gets a crappy massage, the LMT gets worn out, the guest has to pay $70 and a tip and the LMT gets 15$ and maybe a tip, s o the only winning it seems is the owner. all i am saying about union in the massage business is there should be a bottom lin on what a therapist gets, how many back to backs they do and benefits after so many months. It might not be a good idea, but again, I am amazed at how therapist get screwed in this industry. having your own business seems to be the best way but then not everyone can do that and it's isolating.

mimi in Fort Collins, Colorado

68 months ago

I have hard a lot of negativity about this place. I have been a C.M.T. for over 5 years and am self employed. I would never work for 15/hour. That is an insult to the profession.
One guy on here said he thinks 15 is good for the work we do. He is a construction worker.He doesn't really know what he is talking about...like a non parent giving pointers to parents.
Anyway-Massage Envy is like fast food. You get inexperienced therapist at a franchise who have settled for less.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

anonymouslmt anonymouslmt in Freehold, New Jersey

68 months ago

testing rss feed

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

a good client in Rowland Heights, California

68 months ago

Havent read the whole thing here. However am surprised at all the non tipping cheapskates posting.

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.