Massage Envy experiences...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (201 to 250 of 1544)
Page:  « First « Previous   2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next »   Last »

massage therapist in Brockton, Massachusetts

66 months ago

Massage therapists right out of school need to get practice to develop their skills. If they can only get an hour or two of massage a week to build their skills, then it will take them years to become a skilled practitioner if at all. You see, the majority of people do this as a full time job (that's what we were told in school). And when you only make a hundred dollars a week to just sit there for 30 plus hours, then one becomes spiteful as the bills start to pile up. So they look for another type of job. When this happens their licenses lapse and their skills. So should they wish to pursue this again at a later date, then they must go back to school to get licensed again.

With a place like ME, they can build their skills up quickly seeing different body types and ailments. Their experience grows and with it their confidence. When this happens they then go out on their own. ME loses a therapist, but replaces them with the next graduating class. Historically speaking (typing), this is what happens with franchise massage chains.

Just my 2 cents.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Justice Seeker in Albione, Nebraska

66 months ago

Hiya there people. I sure see a lot of bad things about Massage Envy on here. I was Google Searching stuff ya know and found www.worldmassageconference.com from Massage Envy i guesss and i too found www.worldmassageday.com . world massage day was gnarly dude. i am a massage junkie and i am going to tell my therapist about www.worldmassageday.com as it is really something.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

D in San Diego, California

66 months ago

You forgot to add PT's benefit of getting health insurance, vacation time, sick time, a 401K, etc. I have volunteered for PT's, and currently work as a massage therapist. Physically, PT's have it WAY WAY easier. They don't have to spend hour after hour, using the same muscles over and over. They just sit and tell a client what to do, and then sit and do paperwork. The most anyone every worked directly hands on with a client at the clinic I worked at was maybe 20 minutes. Massage therapists deserve every penny they get. It is physically demanding work, no guarantee that there will be work...no health insurance, benefits, paid vacations, etc.. and the physically demanding job of working hour after hour. I can tell you there are days that all I can do is work, and crawl home. The next morning I feel like someone beat the crap out of me. Is this work worth more than a mere $15 bucks an hour without benefits.... It CERTAINLY is.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Rob F creator World Massage Day in Freehold, New Jersey

66 months ago

Hello Indeed.com Forum writers. I am the creator of World Massage Day -- a Day that will save the Field of Massage Therapy for ALL. I agree with MOST OF WHAT I HAVE READ regarding what the Solo Massage Therapists say on this Indeed Forum. All caring Massage Therapists need to stop being bystanders and start being lifeguards if you will, so we may all enjoy the horizon before us; NOW is the time. I am a Marketing Expert. There is A LOT of high visibility FREE marketing you can do to compete with the Massage Franchises of Today, heal a lot of people, and make a lot of money. Please visit www.worldmassageday.com and feel free to contact me as instructed. I will show you step by step how to do this at no charge. World Massage Day starts on January 4 Per Annum, so you really should contact me today so there is time to get the publicity out. I will show you how to get others to do your publicity. This is easy!! You should also visit www.worldmassageday.com/MassageEconomicEthics.html .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

John in Arlington, Virginia

66 months ago

PRP and Prolotherapy work great have use it for my own tendon problems.Been in field off and on since 95.Look at treatingpain.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

julie in Redmond, Washington

66 months ago

I am curious to see if the economy will affect the success of these massage franchises or will they continue to have full schedules and keep massage therapists employed.

From everyone's comments, just like anything else it is about your perspective. ME can be a good place to work if you find the right one to work at and get the extra benefits.

But it is still difficult to make a living at $15 an hour. How many massage therapists work a full 40 hours there?

Has anyone who works there or owns one seen some changes with the economy?

Julie
www.thebodyworker.com
www.massage-career-guides.com/massage-envy-franchises.html

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

CLOW in Fuquay Varina, North Carolina

65 months ago

client said: Hi. I am glad I found this forum.

I have limited financial resources (otherwise I would go to a deluxe spa which includes many amenities far and above the actual massage), but if I feel any pressure whatsoever to tip in addition to paying a membership fee, then I simply will not join Massage Envy.

I am shocked and disappointed to learn that a membership-based entity would even permit you to accept tips, let alone encourage them

Jesus. The prices there for massages are some of the cheapest and the mt's there are the most underpaid usually in the area. Is tipping 10 bucks afterwards really that serious? People are so stingy when it comes to getting things. Just because you actually paid for the steak dinner, does that not mean that you wouldn't tip your waitress?

I've heard nothing but Negative things from clients and employees from massage envy. My advice would be to steer clear. The owner makes an enormous amount of money off of his employees. It's nowhere near fair.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Nylaet in Chicago, Illinois

64 months ago

coro said: Most folks have NO idea what it takes to become and or to work as a massage therapist. I was totally amazed at the difficulty of the course to get educated and not only that, most schools move you thru in a short period of time and to actully understand enough to know the material to pass the exams you have to study on your own all the time and fiqure out the material. The physical demands of giving a good massage, especially deep tissue, are in a range that most folks could never do on an hourly basis 4- 6 times a day. I don't think many people realize just how hard Massage Therapy school can be. It's a lot of science, and that's an understatement. You do have to study a lot. My school is Soma, The National School of Clinical Massage Therapy. The instructors are great. Most are D.C.'s. Soma also has lifetime job placement assistance. Graduates do get hired. Quite a few work in hospitals. We are also offered free lifetime Massage Therapy in the on site clinic...being a Therapist, you need regular massages. I will say, atarting anything that is worthwhile is challenging. For anyone going into private practice, it takes time to build a good strong clientele. It does not happen overnight. It is hard work, but once you have built a strong clientele, it is yours. It's real. I have never worked for Massage Envy. Actually I cannot stand that name. It's just awful....Massage Envy? terrible, what kind of name is that. I care about Massage Therapy, it is important to me. I wouldn't work for anyone that disrespects me or my craft.

Nylaet in Chicago, Illinois

64 months ago

anonymous anonmous in Freehold, New Jersey said: continuation
Regarding Interested Observer's questions about my Union I have many more details in mind that have not been released here and I am saving them as a big surprise for Massage Envy. Also, I have shared some of my business plan, but cannot share all of it as it would be a conflict of interst. The other day I did not mean to gobble up a whole page with my replies -- I might be more selective in responding rather than trying to answer everyone. I actually had another comment last night and could not get on -- I guess that is a safeguard of the system and is probably for the best in general. In the meantime, we massage therapists who agree with me, and work at Massage Envy can find other work -- look in jobs you are qualified to do, even if entry level, in addition to other massage jobs and consider quiting Massaage Envy without giving them any notice -- sign in, so they think you are there all day and then leave through the back door without even telling them -- and those of you who have not worked at Massage Envy, please do not as, even if you are making no money now and something from Massage Envy may seem better than nothing, you will likely end up making less money at Massage Envy as their greedy business model which is fueled by well meaning massage therapists who previously did not know better could ultimately reduce the number of massage companies out there making it even harder for you to find gainful positions in the field. The solution is to continue creating the educational climate necessary for Massage Envy not to be able to find therapists willing to work for them. As LMT/CMT from AZ pointed out, Massage Envy already has high amount of turnover. Next, they will have a high amount of unfilled job openings. :)

I wouldn't be saddened, I would be asking myself "why"? If this many Massage Therapist feel so negatively about your company....you are doing something wrong.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

innertreasures in Washington, District of Columbia

64 months ago

You couldn't be more correct.I call places like Massage Envy cookie cutter massage.Get them in on an assembly line move them in and move them out as quick as possible.The therapist that work in that type of environment will soon understand that they are nothing more then tools to be used until they quickly wear out from doing too many massages for too little money.I have meet more then a few of these kind of therapist who don't truly understand the strain they point on themselves by doing more then 5 massages a day and that's with a least a 20 min break in between they will have a hard time keeping their bodies in good working order.I got into massage to help people heal but to do it in such a way that I could also continue to do this work for many years to come.I meet some many out of the field of massage because they over used their bodies to make as much money in the shortest amount of time.They were doing 7-9 massages a day which is not something which will in the long run be good for the worker or the client.If you got into this field to makes lots of money it's possible if you get a really great location work for some sports teams but in general get into the field to help people heal if not then it shows in your work what really motivates you. I hear clients constantly complain they can't find a good therapist and they've tried them in many surrounding location and while on vacations.When they find a good therapist the first thing they want to know is "how do I get a hold of you if you leave to go to a another location".If their not asking you about this then you need to re-think your work.I've done this work since 95 so I have a bit of experience in what I'm saying.You can take what I've said to heart or just sweep it under the couch.

nylaet

64 months ago

I have read so many bad comments in regard to Massage Envy. I wouldn't consider working there. Massage Envy? What kind of name is that? I absolutely hate it. It seems sad for LMT's to allow themselves to be used in such ways. You worked hard to get through school and pass your state exams. Massage Therapy should never be "cookie cutter". It's an art. This company is well aware that your regular clients are coming to you...not Massage Envy. That is why that have that clause. Don't sell yourself short, you have worked too hard for that.

Inner treasure in Washington, District of Columbia

64 months ago

I agree.I have been approach many times to work for them and said no thanks.I also got a letter from "Just massage" and they wanted me also and said no thank you.I would nevr do cookie cutting massage.

Wayne Sigler in Allentown, Pennsylvania

64 months ago

John in Salt Lake City, Utah said: I would like to employ 4 MTs in a clinc that is designed to be a chiropractic, PT, gym, and mental health/life coaching clinic I would pay 50/50 thinking if they charge 60-60/hour and were an independent contractor.
Would I provide the tables or would MTs as independents?>
I would like to know how to design the rooms/ facilities to accomodate this relationship?
Any interest?

John-If you expect to get 50% of the massage then you would supply everything. That would be tables,linens creams oils etc. I do like the concept tho and would love to work in that type of enviroment. Best of luck to you!

Sonia, HHP in San Diego, California

64 months ago

Eric in Toronto, Ontario said: I'm curious about people's experience with Massage Envy. I hear a lot of negative comments especially with regards their pay scale. Has any therapist found working at Massage Envy to be a positive experience? Are you able to accept tips at Massage Envy? Are there other perks in working there in terms of professional development or benefits?

Dont waste your time. The average pay there is $15. per hr plus tip (if the customer gives you one. average tip is 5-10 dollars). They advertise that they pay $25+ an hr. What they dont tell you is that the $25. is including an imaginary tip. I can think of ZERO perks for working at massage envy. Therapists are overworked and under payed!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Inner treasure in Arlington, Virginia

64 months ago

I have heard the same thing from ex-employees.The same goes for that other cookie cutter
"Just Massage" ia another one with same set up as how it works and the pay.Too many new therapist get sucked into something that's ounds good but isn't.Too many massage for too little money.Your body can only do so many massages before it starts to break down and what do you think these cookie cutter places do.They pick up the phone or put in an add to try and recruit a replacement.The way these places work the owner has many therapist that do as many clients as they can a day.Say you have 8 therapist and each one does 7 massages a day.That's 56 massasges times $24.95.That's $1397.20 the Massage made for that day.Now the therapist made $105 for doing 7 massages verses what he should of made at a regular shop which would come to anywhere from $210-$350 not including tip.That's $30-$50 an hour depending on your location.Now you might only get four massages at the better salon but it would be from $120-$200 which means you did half of the work for better pay and you are least likely to wear yourself out as fast.I would rather do two massages and make $80 then to do five and get $75.As far as tips go if the person going there for the cheapest massage that is usually how they will tip.Don't forget chances are when someone gets a massage now a days they don't tip simply because they feel they did you a favor just for coming in to see you.Many people don't realize the health benefits a good therapist can get with the right technique.If your client doesn't leave your table saying they feel great or wonderful then you have to think about what questions aren't I asking them to help them heal.You need to really find out what they do all day as far as work and what injuries have they gotten over the years.The body is like a puzzle you need all the pieces to put it back together again.Massage Envy just wants an assembly line to get them in get them out as quickly as possible.I

64 months ago

Oh and to the person who equates education to money.They are many people in the music field the sports fields even people who work as a manager at a Trader Joes who get paid very well from what I read for a manager.The point is do not try to equate education to pay.About 20 years ago those numbers work on the most part but now in todays world eduaction does not mean you will make a better pay check then the guy with the 5th grade education.There are more then a few millionaires out there with little to no higher education.Paying more for one's education in many ways puts you in debt from the get go and you'll spent the next few years just trying to pay it back.I have met more then a few people who have spent $60,000 and up for their degree just to find out that they hated what they have their degree in and do a totally different job which they could of done in the first place without wasting all that time and money.If your good at what you do people will come to see you.I have met people who have no formal education but I would put them up against any Ivy league graduate in the real world.More education doesn't mean smarter or better.It just means you spent more time and money to get a piece of paper to tell everyone how smart you think you are.

64 months ago

Oh to the person that thinks tips are unprofessional.Do you tip your hair dresser.They spent time and much effort to learn their craft.A tip is given when a person feels that you have done a job above and beyond your normal scope.If we didn't get a tip that's ok but if a person chooses to say I really think you went above and beyond and feel like a new person.They are saying I really want to say how happy I am with the service.You can't seem to grasp that a massage therapist has a limited amount of years they can practice until their body starts to break down.I think the people who leave a tip realize we work very hard for our pay.I myself do the work because I like helping people heal themselves in a natural way.I've I make money fine and if not well that's fine too but i still have to try my best to make a living in a field I love to do and not just make alot of money in a field I hate like so many people do.Do you have any idea the wrist and finger pain a hair stylist has after a few years.I didn't until I worked on a few.So if you don't want to leave a tip don't, but don't say tipping is unprofessional.If someone comes up to you and says "where's my tip", then yes I would agree that in that instance it would be unprofessional.

natashaclark28@yahoo.com in Naperville, Illinois

64 months ago

Yes your right but be the bigger person because you love your job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Layla in Portland, Oregon

64 months ago

I have owned my own massage business and am now an employee of a Massage Envy.
Here are what I see the pros/cons as.

Pros are no overhead for the M.T., don't have to deal with getting payment, you know how people got referred to you (in private practice dealing with creeps was a huge pain), great schedule - very flexible and cash tips daily. Your taxes are taken care of and best of all you pay less tax because you are not self employed.

Cons are we do pay enough for our schooling, license, liability and continuing ed. to expect the most basic benefits which many Massage Envy's don't offer. If you work for an M.E. owner who offers no benefits, than start looking elsewhere. They make enough off of us to give back vacation pay, 401k, medical, dental vision. Personally I don't want to get my massage where I work by coworkers so I don't even benefit from discounted massages.

If a franchise that offered benefits consistently were to come along, they could persuade a lot of Massage Envy therapists with no benefits and steady clientele to jump ship as it would not violate their noncompeat agreements.

Hope this helps!

64 months ago

Hey Layla there are a lot of good salons out there depending on where you live that do offer those benefits and a good hourly base pay but you have to look at the more upscale areas to find them. Also there are a lot of places that will hire you as an employee and give you straight commission or base pay with commission.I'm going to assume that your young in your 20's and have no real injuries as of yet. Working at Massage Envy will change that. You shouldn't really do more then 5 massages a day with at least 15-30 min break to recoup but rarely will you get that kind of down time at an assembly line outfit. These places needed a steady flow of many clients in as short a time as can be done to make their profit high.I have work for some places that have the same mind set to try to get you to do any where from 8-10 massages a day and say that last person did that for years with us. What they don't tell you is the last person can no longer do the work anymore because they over taxed themselves and can't work because of all the tendon and ligament damage from not getting time to heal.You really need to look for a place that is looking do their best for you and the client which I will admit isn't easy but there are some good people out there like that.Massage Envy and Just Massage might be ok for a few months for new therapist just to get the hands on but I don't see anyone who wants to stay in this business very long staying there.Your wrists ,your thumbs and your elbows will be the things to watch the warning signs on.If you decide to stay at Massage Envy then check out a website called treatingpain.com and read about
"PRP-Platelet Rich Plasma and Prolotherapy as a treatment to repair those damaged tendons and ligaments."You'll need it if you stay in a assembly line type massage enviroment.

Layla in Portland, Oregon

64 months ago

Attention Massage Envy Owners!!!

If you don't offer benefits, all it takes to ruin your business is a new massage franchise that offers benefits to hardworking, professionally trained, state licensed, insured, continuing education seeking therapists.

You need to offer benefits yourself or you put yourself in a vulnerable position.
M.T.s can shift to a new franchise, take their clientele without violating noncompete agreements.

AND you know you should offer them anyway. No Excuses.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Gray Neher in Castle Pines, Colorado

64 months ago

julie in Redmond, Washington said: I am curious to see if the economy will affect the success of these massage franchises or will they continue to have full schedules and keep massage therapists employed.

From everyone's comments, just like anything else it is about your perspective. ME can be a good place to work if you find the right one to work at and get the extra benefits.

But it is still difficult to make a living at $15 an hour. How many massage therapists work a full 40 hours there?

Has anyone who works there or owns one seen some changes with the economy?

Julie: Business seems to be holding up better than I would have thought with the economy. We had a better than '07 holiday season for gift cards - the therapists are going to be very busy in January. By the way with the average gratuity (yes, they're taxable and reportable, that's how we know) the hourly works out to $25 - $30. But forget that - it's the paycheck that counts. Full time therapists (25 shift hrs/wk) pull down bi-weekly checks of $1,200 - $1,800. Massage Envy is not for everyone (as is very apparent on this forum); still there are 500+ clinics open and over 8,000 therapists that work there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Julie in Redmond, Washington

64 months ago

"Full time therapists (25 shift hrs/wk) pull down bi-weekly checks of $1,200 - $1,800"

Is that including the tips- I am assuming so.

I make that in a week though is the thing having my own business.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

touchspabyerica@yahoo.com in Atlanta, Georgia

64 months ago

Eric in Toronto, Ontario said: I'm having a hard time understanding the logic I see in this discussion list.

If you look at any surveys of MTs income in the States, it's consistently around $20,000 per year. Most are self-employed so for $20K they are assuming the risk of operating a business and having to do both hands on work and admin.

At $15 per hour plus tips, a Massage Envy employee would be making well over $30,000 per year (assuming two weeks holiday) with no responsibility for admin and running a business. Given the stats, the largest percentage of therapists would be much better off financially working for Massage Envy than they would working for themselves.

Doesn't matter how you cut it: One client at $15 per hour is worth much more than zero clients at $70 per hour. Just my two cents.

It's all in how you market yourself. I'm a " people person ". I can sell a massage along with the concept that it is a needed physical attention - TO ANYONE. I graduated less than 2 years ago, have never once worked for any company or anyONE outside my school's clinic, am a single parent, have a mortgage, and all the other responsibilities in life and I survive solely off my massage income. I work very hard but I've made well over 54,000 CASH in 18 months. There are days when I make 500 dollars in a few hours just from going to mechanic shops, moving companies, etc. and offering dollar a minute chair massage ALONE. I doubt those self employed therapists you speak of, you know, the ones that make only 20,000 per year; are full time like the McDonald's employee making 30,000. Those therapist you speak of are part time or shall we say on their own time. And to profit even 20,000 on your own time out of your own little office or your own living room for that matter, is impressive. To flip burgers and be put in a stressful environment for 10 hours a day, 30,000 is nothing. Just my 2 cents.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Inner Treasures in Springfield, Virginia

64 months ago

.You can work and break your back for little money work too many hours.I would rather work two hours and make $80 for someone or $80 if working for myself but to think $15 an hour way what a person in this field is worth.We are using our body which take wear and tear.To sit around and work 7 hours and get $105 is a joke.If you do that much work to make so little then don't expect to last very long in this field.as to our Canadian friend think about what your time is worth and how long you will last by doing this type of work at that low pay scale.

64 months ago

Julie in Redmond, Washington said: "Full time therapists (25 shift hrs/wk) pull down bi-weekly checks of $1,200 - $1,800"

Is that including the tips- I am assuming so.

I make that in a week though is the thing having my own business.

Julie: Good for you, I'm happy for your success - keep it up. Therapists can (and do) succeed in private practice as you obviously do. I say if you can and want to succeed in private practice then go for it. Not all can, or want to however so don't begrudge those who don't just because you don't

64 months ago

My apologies for the gramatical error: just because you do.

Julie in Redmond, Washington

64 months ago

I don't care if people go to work for someone just that they accept such low pay. Massage Therapists who are employed deserve at least $45 an hour and yes that can be done too with full benefits. It is the massage therapist really who makes or breaks the business. Not everyone is worth that but if you know what you are doing, do thorough intakes, learn how to work with and communicate with clients a massage therapist is easily worth that except to a ME where they don't even charge that to the customer.

Inner Treasures in Arlington, Virginia

64 months ago

I agree.A heard time and time again people complain about massage envy.their therapist are either without any real hands on knowledge and can't do the work or they are good but soon leave because of the low pay.The turn over is very high.People should understand that massage isn't just a luxury it's a very important thing to do for overall health.Stress from work from driving and dealing with everyday problems in this modern day jungle is over whelming.

64 months ago

Worn out and useless because of ME in Peyton, Colorado said: I did 10-15 massages a day at ME. I can no longer be a MT. I am hurt beyond belief and the doctors want to do surgery now. ME refuses to pay me Workers Comp though they put me in this situation and told me I would lose my job if I didn't stay overtime.

Hey don't forget to look at Prolo-therapy and
PRP-Platelet Rich Plasma.I'm getting this done to fix my injuries from massage work and weight training.I would look at these before I'd let anyone cut me.Also look into Cissus it's an herb a lot of body builders use for tissue damage.Hope this helps

64 months ago

Oh I have been reading about the idea of just getting to work just in the medical industry well it sounds good but no thanks.I have friends that work at hospitals and working in that environment can be very taxing.I love helping people with pain but I don't want to be part of a medical society that in many cases says take a pill for this take a pill for that then sends them on their merry way with never addressing the real problems.When you work for a hospital they write a prescription for what type of massage and that prescription is very specific ask any PT they are to work on the left arm and rotate it counter clock wise 47 times then back 36 times.That's just an example.I have worked on many clients that have spents month's to years getting PT and massage work in a hospital because insurance covered it but got no better.These clients told me that the PT's and many times the massage therapist have very specific orders as to what they can and can't do.The problem with that sometimes is the client needs more then ABC they need DFGHI but you can only do ABC because the doctor says that's what the insurance says is to be done.There are so many rules that you fall under in how and when a claim will be paid for your work.I had a doctor in my massage class because she said she couldn't stand dealing with all the stupid rules that insurance companies had.She said she came into the field to heal not to deal with paper pushers.For those of your who like working in the medical field more power to you but not everyone out there has positive memories of dealing with the medical field and most clients I know hate the idea of going into a hospital to begin with.

64 months ago

Julie in Redmond, Washington said: I don't care if people go to work for someone just that they accept such low pay. Massage Therapists who are employed deserve at least $45 an hour and yes that can be done too with full benefits. It is the massage therapist really who makes or breaks the business. Not everyone is worth that but if you know what you are doing, do thorough intakes, learn how to work with and communicate with clients a massage therapist is easily worth that except to a ME where they don't even charge that to the customer.

Julie: If a therapist can get paid more working somewhere else they should. That, however, would be up to them to determine.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

inner treasures in Arlington, Virginia

64 months ago

Met a girl working at a Caribou Coffee and she said her boy who just graduated quit the you guessed it the Massage Envy and she says it was the worst place he had ever worked at.They treated them very unfairly.I laughed and said I was sorry to hear it but didn't he think that after they told him how much they offered that he should look else where.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Why Us in Freehold, New Jersey

63 months ago

AWESOME UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
www.worldmassageday.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

jonn

63 months ago

I can't seem to find a forum for this but I was wondering if anyone out there filed a complaint against the massage school they went to.
I see in my state of arizona that the education review board is paid by the schools they are suppose to oversee! Thats like the criminal(if that be the case)paying off the police so to speak.

63 months ago

Well I have heard of a lot of schools that have had charges brought against them.I would talk to the AMTA and make sure the problem is addressed and that the school will not be accepted by to take the nationals.Also if you have any evidence of wrong doing then go to the new media.They love stories like that.I had a friend who spent a lot of money on a private school then found out they were not accredited so all college credits wouldn't be accepted.I said go to seven on your side and soon that same school that said they couldn't do anything to help were on the news then all of a sudden my friend had their money back and another school offering to help them get accredited.

jonn

63 months ago

thanks, this school also owns some very well to do salons.
I was told by the secretary at the approval board that no one else has ever filed a complaint against them and that would be taken into consideration, so because of that my complaints arn't valid? There is something very fishy here.

63 months ago

Well like I said they hate the idea of the new media coming out and asking questions.& on your side loves stories like this.If you have some good evidence you may be able to go to the news people and show that the school gives money to the Education Board which could school that they are bias.If you can find other people who have say complaint it's even better.You can try checking better business bureau and google the school.Also check craigslist to see if you can get anyone else but be careful to do it in a way as to not leave yourself open to them sueing you so have your ducks in a row.

jonn

63 months ago

I emailed the local investigative tv station guy and asked if they could help. I thank you for your idea. Should be intesesting to see what happens.
All I know is what happened to me there should not have happened to anyone. Everytime I tried to do something, the teachers would say they would do something and it never happened. Their goal was to make the 6 months go by and hope I graduated and forgot about everything. The EAB says a student has a year to file a complaint, yet they slam me for waiting 1 month after graduation.

massage in Kansas City, Missouri

63 months ago

client said: The amount of money you pay to learn your PROFESSION, i.e. massage therapy, could not possibly be as much as a 4-year university degree or what a professional PHYSICAL THERAPIST pays to learn his or her profession.

Tips are unprofessional.

Its not cheap to attend massage school the one I attended was a two year
at the cost of 20,000. when you go to a massage spa and they pay the massage therapist 5 dollars a massage- tips are what they live off so just because your paying 40 or more dollars doesnt mean the therapist are getting much of that
Tips are not unprofessional many professions recieve and rely on tips

Somewhere looking in Falmouth, Maine

63 months ago

Inner treasure in Arlington, Virginia said: Hey Layla there are a lot of good salons out there depending on where you live that do offer those benefits and a good hourly base pay but you have to look at the more upscale areas to find them. Also there are a lot of places that will hire you as an employee and give you straight commission or base pay with commission.I'm going to assume that your young in your 20's and have no real injuries as of yet. Working at Massage Envy will change that. You shouldn't really do more then 5 massages a day with at least 15-30 min break to recoup but rarely will you get that kind of down time at an assembly line outfit. These places needed a steady flow of many clients in as short a time as can be done to make their profit high.I have work for some places that have the same mind set to try to get you to do any where from 8-10 massages a day and say that last person did that for years with us. What they don't tell you is the last person can no longer do the work anymore because they over taxed themselves and can't work because of all the tendon and ligament damage from not getting time to heal.You really need to look for a place that is looking do their best for you and the client which I will admit isn't easy but there are some good people out there like that.Massage Envy and Just Massage might be ok for a few months for new therapist just to get the hands on but I don't see anyone who wants to stay in this business very long staying there.Your wrists ,your thumbs and your elbows will be the things to watch the warning signs on.If you decide to stay at Massage Envy then check out a website called treatingpain.com and read about
"PRP-Platelet Rich Plasma and Prolotherapy as a treatment to repair those damaged tendons and ligaments."You'll need it if you stay in a assembly line type massage enviroment.

What the availablity of jobs for a massage therapist in the Arlington area. Looking to possibly relocate that way.

63 months ago

Hey check Craigslist under Northern Va under JObs type massage

MadNomad in Miami, Florida

63 months ago

I came to this forum looking for comments on Massage Envy and found scattered and misspelled asides. I love being a massage therapist as a way of being of service, not primarily to make money. But the whining about hard work and low pay is really hard to take as a former healthcare provider of 20+ years. Get your degree in Medical Technology and work in a hospital Laboratory on the night shift, save lives, and argue with management about whether or not you get paid for the half hour "lunch" you did not get . Train as a Nurse for 4 years, get a job in the ER, save lives, get abused and low pay. Study physics, work in Nuclear Medicine, spend all your extra money washing the puke from your crocs, and get low pay.
The trick is to be grateful for what you have right now, not covet what others have, and to be of service.
And some of the best hair cuts I've ever gotten were $6...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Broke in Brockton, Massachusetts

63 months ago

"I came to this forum looking for comments on Massage Envy and found scattered and misspelled asides"
There are plenty of comments on M/E if you'd care to look.

"I love being a massage therapist as a way of being of service, not primarily to make money"
I'm so clad that you've saved your hard earned money while working in the health care field. However, some of us need the money to feed and clothe our children, and keep a roof over our heads and everything else that, that entails.

I don't know where you work, but the vast majority of the jobs that you've held over the last 20 years are not low paying jobs up here. Nurses (RN) make $38/hr to start in a hospital setting. An experienced RN in an ER makes upwards of $50/hr. An experienced RN in an ICU makes upwards of $68/hr. So if you think that's low pay, I'd like to know what a high paying job is...

... oh, wait, it's the service thing, isn't it. May hap you should have not done so much service and worked for you most of the time.

Just a thought.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

sarah in Waterville, Ohio

63 months ago

Brenda in Lakeville, Minnesota said: I have been working at a ME for alittle over six monthes now, I like them for doing all the bookings, linen cleaning ect.. but they are not particually fair or nice to the therapists. At least in the clinic I am in. The basic feelings of the owners are if you dont like it you can leave and believe me there is alot not to like. So the chain as a whole may not be bad its the owners and CA's you have to deal with that can make the job rough.

i TOTALLY AGREE! I COULD GO ON AND ON ABOUT THE MESSED UP THINGS THAT GO ON AT THE FALLEN TIMBERS LOCATION IN MAUMEE OHIO. THEY HAVE FIRED AT LEAST ONE PERSON A WEEK FOR THE PAST MONTH. ONE PERSON GOT FIRED DUE TO THE FACT THAT A CLIENT GRABBED HER LEG AND SHE DIDN'T REPORT IT UNTIL THE SESSION WAS OVER. COME ON! ANOTHER FIRED BECAUSE SHE WAS TALKING ABOUT COACH PURSES. THE LIST GOES ON AND ON. I WILL BE HAPPY TO ELABORATE LATER!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Monica in Westlake, Ohio

63 months ago

Funny, I was offered an interview at the Fallen Timber's location and happily turned it down. Massage therapy is wonderful medicine...however, places like massage envy use it for their own financial gain....they have a high turn over rate, because they can.....we need to start a movement and NOT WORK FOR PLACES THAT ABUSE US OR OUR FIELD...then, they (massage envy, chiropractors, spas) would have to start paying us our worth & treat us with Respect. Only then, will we make progress. Boycott bad business and MAKE A STAND! MASSAGE THERAPISTS UNITE!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

mamibunny in Newark, Delaware

63 months ago

Owner/Clinic Administrator in Atlanta, Georgia said: I meant safe for the therapist. We... train all of our therapists on proper draping and ethical protocols...

why would a therapist need to be trained on draping techniques? We are taught in school how to properly drape each and every client in different positions...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Gardener in Portland, Oregon

63 months ago

mamibunny in Newark, Delaware said: why would a therapist need to be trained on draping techniques? We are taught in school how to properly drape each and every client in different positions...

...because even though we are trained, I have worked with some therapists who drape very inappropriately. Any spa or clinic or whatever is entitled to have their own protocol for draping.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

mamibunny in Newark, Delaware

63 months ago

Gardener in Portland, Oregon said: ...because even though we are trained, I have worked with some therapists who drape very inappropriately. Any spa or clinic or whatever is entitled to have their own protocol for draping.

Oh i see... thank you for the elaboration... :)

Confused no more in College Park in College Park, Maryland

63 months ago

mamibunny in Newark, Delaware said: okay, just as i mentioned earlier all Massage Envy's are different... (I keep on seeing things about being paid per hour)Most of them pay PER CLIENT. which means that the therapist is only getting about $15-$20 PER CLIENT, not per hour... So if the therapist has a client say at about 9am (for an hour) and then has another client at about 2p (for an hour) they only got paid for those two clients and that's it for that day...

No, not quite. Say you worked 20 hours a week. The pay period is every 2 weeks. So, 20 hours times 2 weeks = 40 hours. The rule is - and this is where everyone gets confused - you must massage more hours than not in order to get paid the $15/hr per massage rate. Otherwise it's $10/hour flat rate. or which ever is higher.

Let's go a little further with this model, shall we...

THE DIFFERENCE:
40 hours times 10/hr = 400.00 minus taxes for two (2) weeks.
27 hours of massage in 2 weeks x $15 = 405 plus tips for two weeks {anywhere from $0 - $30 per massage with the average being $11. (but the tips aren't included into this equation due to the fact that M/E doesn't count this on paper, only verbally)}. minus taxes.

Tips that are on credit card will be paid on the next pay period.

I hope this helps everyone to understand this pay model better.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « First « Previous   2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.