Massage Envy experiences...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (251 to 300 of 1549)
Page:  « First « Previous   3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next »   Last »

Gray Neher in Castle Pines, Colorado

67 months ago

mamibunny in Newark, Delaware said: okay, just as i mentioned earlier all Massage Envy's are different... (I keep on seeing things about being paid per hour)Most of them pay PER CLIENT. which means that the therapist is only getting about $15-$20 PER CLIENT, not per hour... So if the therapist has a client say at about 9am (for an hour) and then has another client at about 2p (for an hour) they only got paid for those two clients and that's it for that day...

If a clinic is only getting its therapists two appointments a day then it has hired too many therapists. Most clinics I know that have been open for at least six months are averaging 40 - 50 appointments/day.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

jo

67 months ago

what the heck are you insinuating??!!!

a happy ending a massage envy!

that would sure give 'em sumthing to think about!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

MT n WA in Olympia, Washington

67 months ago

jo said: what the heck are you insinuating??!!!
a happy ending a massage envy!
that would sure give 'em sumthing to think about!!!

This really peeves me off! I beat my body to hell doing deep tissue and net $44 a treatment (after expenses). Then I have to clean, do laundry, file insurance, return calls, etc etc...I really earn $30 an hour when I add in the admin hours. My friend at massage envy nets $40 per service - $15 from ME plus at least $25 tip for happy ending. She does 25 every week - that's at least $1000 for easy work with no admin responsibilities. She makes very good money at massage envy and luvs her job!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (35) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

jo

67 months ago

Happy endings are illegal where I live, but maybe thru ME, the gals can do it on the sly!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

jo said: Happy endings are illegal where I live, but maybe thru ME, the gals can do it on the sly!

It's illegal everywhere except a few counties, but that never stopped anybody. No one is gonna tell on themselves for doing something illegal! ME is the perfect place to do it on the sly. Cheap girls with no other talents giving cheap services to cheap men. Where else can you get the 'full release package' in a 'legal business' for the same price as a legit treatment? It's perfect!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

jo

67 months ago

That is sooooo funny! You have a great point! I would think the ME owners would keel over if they knew and heck, if an undercover agent went in there that could put them out of business, yes?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

jo said: That is sooooo funny! You have a great point! I would think the ME owners would keel over if they knew and heck, if an undercover agent went in there that could put them out of business, yes?

I'm not convinced the owners DON'T know what goes on behind closed doors. The owner invited me to visit on my friend's first day. She did something strange that didn't make sense until I learned the whole story: She looked my friend in the eye, pointed her finger in her face and said firmly, "Nothing can go wrong. Do you understand? NOTHING GOES WRONG." Weird then, makes sense to me now!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

TJ Hooker in Atlanta, Georgia

67 months ago

ohhhhhhhhhhh they know.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

oilylady in Los Angeles, California

67 months ago

I don't know who Gray Mare is, that's another person. You are a jerk to even imply that anyone that works at ME is really just a hooker! Get a life!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

oilylady in Los Angeles, California said: I don't know who Gray Mare is, that's another person. You are a jerk to even imply that anyone that works at ME is really just a hooker! Get a life!

Weak comeback, oilygray, but it fits the criteria of 1)feign shock, 2)deny the same identity, and 3) plug ME.

Just to set the record straight from yet another weak straw man setup, I clearly never implied 'anyone that works at ME is really just a hooker'. I gave one example of this scenario.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

And for your future pseudonyms...no 'lady' would ever refer to herself as 'oily', especially from LA. Ugh...it gives the visual of greasy hair & shiny skin...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

ok....sure....whatever.....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

oilylady in Los Angeles, California said: ok....sure....whatever.....

OK, truce...

Which ME location do you work at? I have a friend in LA looking for a good massage job. I'll call that location and ask what the average salary and bonus was last year.

We appreciate your help!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

massage in Blue Springs, Missouri

67 months ago

MT n WA in Olympia, Washington said: This really peeves me off! I beat my body to hell doing deep tissue and net $44 a treatment (after expenses). Then I have to clean, do laundry, file insurance, return calls, etc etc...I really earn $30 an hour when I add in the admin hours. My friend at massage envy nets $40 per service - $15 from ME plus at least $25 tip for happy ending. She does 25 every week - that's at least $1000 for easy work with no admin responsibilities. She makes very good money at massage envy and luvs her job!

25 dollars for happy endings well mostly its illegal and shes selling herself short LOL

I doubt this is legal in any state

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

Update: I'm off work today and admittedly have nothing else to do. So I've called or e-mailed all 8 MEs in the Los Angeles Area.

I've had responses from the Encino, Sherman Oaks, and Valencia locations. You will be shocked and amazed at what I was told: Not the first one gave bonuses to the therapists any previous year, and has no plans for bonuses this year!

I'm very confident one of the remaining clinics DOES offer their hardest workers bonuses, since oilylady has fiercely defended her integrity as a satisfied employee of the best company in the world any massage professional could possibly have the honor to grow with, Massage Envy!

67 months ago

Ok...Here's the deal. I DID work at an upscale day spa in Irvine. BUT that place was totally DEAD! Seems that no one is interested in paying $125 for a massage. Especially with all the foreclosures around here...I couldn't sit around and waste an 6 hour shift waiting for 1 lousy massage! So I went where the work is. There are bonuses, (or shall I say sales incentives) and good tips. We are treated well here in the Mission Viejo area. I want to get in, go to work, then go home. There is no prostitution in our location.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

oilylady in Los Angeles, California said: Ok...Here's the deal. I DID work at an upscale day spa in Irvine. BUT that place was totally DEAD! Seems that no one is interested in paying $125 for a massage. Especially with all the foreclosures around here...I couldn't sit around and waste an 6 hour shift waiting for 1 lousy massage! So I went where the work is. There are bonuses, (or shall I say sales incentives) and good tips. We are treated well here in the Mission Viejo area. I want to get in, go to work, then go home. There is no prostitution in our location.

That's better. It's good to think your answer out before posting it, huh? Good job picking a location outside the LA area! (Massage therapists who can think are your worst nightmare, aren't they?)

Bonuses are very different than sales incentives. Bonuses are paid as extra money for a job well done. Sales incentives are commissions that you only get when you sell. Big difference. Yes, ME pays sales incentives, but not bonuses.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

what is wrong with you?? getting your period today or something? you don't need to be such an ass to get your opinion across. Ok, ok, you don't like ME, so don't work there!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

You can chill, dude. Effing around with you no longer amuses me.

Here's my honest opinion of ME, from a second-hand point of view. It's a good place for below to average new therapists to gain valuable experience. It takes time to build your skills and clientele. Your clients will follow you to a better situation. The price of massage plus tip isn't cheaper than good services from skilled therapists who are realistic about their pricing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Sabeena in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

67 months ago

I thought MT n WA was just bein' a bee-yotch at first. Now I'm wonderin', where DID Gray Neher run off to?

Isn't a massage at ME $49? With $10 suggested tip it's a buck less than the average price for experienced deep tissue in OKC. Hmmm.

Monica in Westlake, Ohio

67 months ago

Good grief. Why are you a massage therapist? And, who in this forum has any education beyond their 12 month Massage Therapy cirriculum? I can see why it has taken so long to get respect in our field. Why not spend time ranting about issues that make a difference?!
Who cares about Massage Envy. For example, do you seriously think a 4 star restaurant is ranting about McDonalds? "Oh no!..what are we to do? You can feed an entire family of five for 10$ at McDonalds....how will we compete with such an enourmous franchise?".....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Rolinda in Chula Vista, California

67 months ago

Monica in Westlake, Ohio said: Good grief. Why are you a massage therapist? And, who in this forum has any education beyond their 12 month Massage Therapy cirriculum? I can see why it has taken so long to get respect in our field. Why not spend time ranting about issues that make a difference?!
Who cares about Massage Envy. For example, do you seriously think a 4 star restaurant is ranting about McDonalds? "Oh no!..what are we to do? You can feed an entire family of five for 10$ at McDonalds....how will we compete with such an enourmous franchise?".....

Excellent!, Wise words!. I stepped off this Merry-GO-Round...what one...two years ago?. Round and round she goes...Where she stops...nobody knows. Hasn't changed; same issues. Back to the real world..."Life"........Good journey everyone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

al in wi in Beloit, Wisconsin

67 months ago

MT n WA in Olympia, Washington said: This really peeves me off! I beat my body to hell doing deep tissue and net $44 a treatment (after expenses). Then I have to clean, do laundry, file insurance, return calls, etc etc...I really earn $30 an hour when I add in the admin hours. My friend at massage envy nets $40 per service - $15 from ME plus at least $25 tip for happy ending. She does 25 every week - that's at least $1000 for easy work with no admin responsibilities. She makes very good money at massage envy and luvs her job!

i hope she gets carpal tunnel and a lot of facails for insulting this profession! why not just be a hooker since you have no respect for your self

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Leann in Portland, Oregon

67 months ago

Monica in Westlake, Ohio said: Good grief. Why are you a massage therapist? And, who in this forum has any education beyond their 12 month Massage Therapy cirriculum?

Several MTs recently discussed their college education on this forum. Obviously you didn't even bother to look into it. Perhaps my 5-year graduate certificate in isn't as advanced as your education. However, I did learn how to use spell check and the word 'curriculum'.

Rolinda in Chula Vista, California said: Excellent!, Wise words!. I stepped off this Merry-GO-Round...what one...two years ago?. Round and round she goes...Where she stops...nobody knows. Hasn't changed; same issues. Back to the real world..."Life"........Good journey everyone.

Your superior wisdom is appreciated. Now be the superior example. Stop ranting and go make a difference. Just couldn't resist jumping back on this merry-go-round for another whirl, could you?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

Sabeena in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma said: I thought MT n WA was just bein' a bee-yotch at first. Now I'm wonderin', where DID Gray Neher run off to?

Isn't a massage at ME $49? With $10 suggested tip it's a buck less than the average price for experienced deep tissue in OKC. Hmmm.

I jumped out when the topic here elevated to the point of whether illicit activity takes place at ME. Illicit activity - really? In a place that stands to lose its license (and business) - really?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Gardener in Washington

67 months ago

al in wi in Beloit, Wisconsin said: i hope she gets carpal tunnel and a lot of facails for insulting this profession! why not just be a hooker since you have no respect for your self[/

Couldn't have said it better. Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

Gray Neher in Castle Pines, Colorado said: I jumped out when the topic here elevated to the point of whether illicit activity takes place at ME. Illicit activity - really? In a place that stands to lose its license (and business) - really?

You "jumped out" when an accusation was made of illicit activity, rather than speak against it? Really?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

monica in Cleveland, Ohio

67 months ago

Leann in Portland, Oregon said: Several MTs recently discussed their college education on this forum. Obviously you didn't even bother to look into it. Perhaps my 5-year graduate certificate in isn't as advanced as your education. However, I did learn how to use spell check and the word 'curriculum'.

Darn Typos! Get ya every time! Thank you for clarifying about other topics of discussion. I have only been on this forum a few months and all I usually get in my mailbox are rants about Massage Envy.

I work at a university and am curious about your five year graduate 'certificate'. I am unaware of any programs that give you a 'certificate' after five years of graduate course work. After five years of graduate work at most universities you are awarded a Doctorate. Congrats!

Anyway, I was wondering if any of you that have your own clinic/studio have ever experienced the male client who thinks he may get a 'release'. I recently had a situation and have been contemplating how to avoid future situations from happening. I have looked at my web page several times and it in no way eludes to the idea that I offer 'release'.

Any suggestions?

Your superior wisdom is appreciated. Now be the superior example. Stop ranting and go make a difference. Just couldn't resist jumping back on this merry-go-round for another whirl, could you?

Temptation gets the best of us!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

jo

67 months ago

It's a guy thing, being touched in any way stirs the pot so to speak and if they have a conscious they won't approach the LMT and go home and take care of biz.
I see this all the time, makes for a questionable career for me. In school, there was 'release' on the wall of the changing room. Gross, some men are pathertic! Again, I see it so many times and hear so many stories. That's why the ME thing does not surprise me. I heard of a Chinese gal going to a massage school who saiad in her country being an LMT was a anything goes job. I have see others getting certified when their mission is to offer more than an LMT, the letters after their name just makes it harder to get arrested!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

Most of us females have experienced problems with this somewhere along the line. A girl in my class admitted she was a hooker and wanted to give her business a "legitimate cover". ME as a policy doesn't approve of it, but unless they spy who's to know? I know a salon owner who suspected a gal was doin' the deed and installed a camera. She was shocked to find TWO gals were doin' it!

It takes time & work, jo, but you can build a reputation for 'therapeutic only' and keep the others away. My business cards say 'Soft Tissue Injuries' and lists the methods I've studied. Every time I speak to a new male client on the phone I am very clear - 'I do not give sensual or sexual massage. If this is what you are looking for I can refer to you to someone else.' And yes, I know of 2 hookers who do it. My intake form says the massage will be stopped and you will be charged the full amount if you get sexual. I haven't had a problem in 3 years.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Confused no more in College Park in College Park, Maryland

67 months ago

Sabeena in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma said: I know a salon owner who suspected a gal was doin' the deed and installed a camera. She was shocked to find TWO gals were doin' it!

I'm glad she caught the offending therapists, but cameras are highly illegal. She could actually go to jail for violating the clients rights. Not to mention the civil suit the clients could have brought. I'm sure she had the videos of other customers on there as well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

Confused no more in College Park in College Park, Maryland said: I'm glad she caught the offending therapists, but cameras are highly illegal. She could actually go to jail for violating the clients rights. Not to mention the civil suit the clients could have brought. I'm sure she had the videos of other customers on there as well.

Hidden cameras are not illegal in every state, and most states permit them if their presence is disclosed. She was completely legal. Her employment contract stated they may be used, and signs were posted around the salon informing customers they may be used, too.

www.brickhousesecurity.com/about-hidden-camera-laws.html

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

Sabeena in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma said: Hidden cameras are not illegal in every state, and most states permit them if their presence is disclosed. She was completely legal. Her employment contract stated they may be used, and signs were posted around the salon informing customers they may be used, too.

www.brickhousesecurity.com/about-hidden-camera-laws.html

This is the first full paragraph from that page:
"Most video recordings in the United States are legal with or without consent; however, several laws do exist regarding "Invasion of Privacy," which deals with the concept of expected privacy. This idea of “expected privacy” includes areas such as bathrooms, locker rooms, changing and dressing rooms, bedrooms, and other areas where a person may expect a certain level of personal privacy."

The client changes in that room and his/her expects not to be video taped while changing. Also clients wouldn't want to be videoed while changing or getting a massage. After all, one never knows where that tape could end up. :-O

I don't know about you, but I wouldn't want my sessions video taped if I was a client.

There are M/E's that video tape the front end to make sure they're working and not sitting around doing nothing. But not in the treatment rooms.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Innertreasures in Springfield, Virginia

67 months ago

College park is absolutely correct.Putting a camera in the massage room would open you up to a major lawsuit and maybe jail time.there is not a single state I have heard of that would allow a camera to be placed in a massage room.

67 months ago

And you missed this part:

"This means that you cannot install hidden security cameras or listening devices in these areas without prior written permission from the individual."

If your massage intake form states hidden cameras may be used, then you have written permission.

"In most cases evidence gathered using hidden video cameras will still be admissible in a court of law if a crime is committed whether permission was granted or not. While it may be illegal to install a security camera in a retail store dressing room, footage capturing shoplifters in these areas is still often used to prosecute criminals. The two circumstances covert observation is considered illegal are when the owner of the premises has not authorized observation, or the recorded video/audio is used for illegal means."

The owner authorized it, and the video was not used for illegal means.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

innertreasures in Springfield, Virginia

67 months ago

I may have to assume by the way you said that the way they caught this person was with a camera in the massage room.Now by that statement anyone who heard it would have to come to such a conclusion.Now if this is not the case then I must assume the video camera has audio ability and they over heard the person talking about outside the massage room and if this is the case then yes they would be able to use a camera but not in the massage room unless by court order with an undercover officer and not with a customer.Oh and just to let you know some of us have a degree in Criminology.I have not looked at all the state laws but I do know I have not heard of a state that short of what I have stated would allow a camera placed in a room what someone removes their clothes.Think about all the Celebrities and Congressmen who would never have a massage again if they assumed they may end up on the internet.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

How convenient, finding this thread just in time with a massage license AND and a degree in criminology...

The spa where the illicit activity was recorded was NOT a Massage Envy, just so folks will know.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Sharon Moak in Vancouver, Washington

67 months ago

Eric in Toronto, Ontario said: I'm curious about people's experience with Massage Envy. I hear a lot of negative comments especially with regards their pay scale. Has any therapist found working at Massage Envy to be a positive experience? Are you able to accept tips at Massage Envy? Are there other perks in working there in terms of professional development or benefits?

I worked briefly at a startup ME to help the owner get going. I helped with both massage and admin. The pay is not acceptable for experienced professionals in either area, but it's fine for an entry-level position. Clients are expected to tip and get recommendations for how much.

Perks and benefits vary by location, depending on the owner. Many do pay for continuing education and sometimes bring instructors in house for private classes. I have not heard of any clinics that offer their massage therapists insurance benefits, but perhaps some do.

As far as my experience there...I'd never work there again or go for a massage, and I'm no longer friends with the owner. Take that for what it's worth.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

monica in Cleveland, Ohio said: Temptation gets the best of us!

Yer too funny, Monica! This forum is like a car accident...you'd like to drive past it without looking, but the gory details are too interesting to ignore!

I like your honesty!

Innertreasures in Arlington, Virginia

67 months ago

Excuse me I have had a degree in criminology since 1984 and then graduated in 1995 in massage therapy from Baltimore school of Massage. You seem to think no has ever changed their interest.I really don't care if you believe me.If you have fault in any statement please let me know.I have people who were in my school who have had such diverse jobs and interest as teachers, nurses, and me who had studied criminology.We even had a Sports Medicine doctor who had gotten tired of her job as a doctor.I didn't care for the way the system worked and I decided to look for something that could help people and was involved in health.So you were the one who brought up the point as to say as massage therapist we had no idea of the law and I replied to that. Are you so naive to think that there are not people out their who have been involved in law enforcement and changed their careers. You were the one to called out to say that all the therapist on this blog had no knowledge in the law and I spoke up.i have watched this forum for about three months and I get e-mails to let me know if there is anything i feel strongly about.That is the way I happened to find out about your discussion.I found it rather naive of you to think there are not people out there who have knowledge in more then one area.So where do you think we are.In America you'll find more people who have had at least 6 different careers by the time they're 30.So please think before you jump to a conclusion as to who is out there on this forum.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

Anyone interested in massage therapy research, check out this article and the many references that follow....www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/massage-000354.htm

More research= more opportunities for the Medical World to have proof that Massage is Good For You!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Gardener in Washington

67 months ago

anonymous anonmous in Freehold, New Jersey said: To Used & Abused MT,
You can get insurance through ABMP instead. It is adequate, in my opinion (AMTA offers the biggest coverage, but ABMP has a lot too).
While the professional agencies do some good, it mainly seems to be about the money. They should not forget the hand that feeds them, i.e. the massgae therapist. We resent companies like Massage Envy which denigrate the massage therapy field. AMTA should not back Massage Envy -- they should take the ethical role and tell them they have a conflict of interest. If asked what, they could tell them that they do not feel (I do not speak for AMTA) that Massage Envy pays ethically.

This is a good suggestion. They really do have a conflict of interest. Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

strique in Franklin, Tennessee

67 months ago

My wife and I own the ME in Murfreesboro,TN. In reading this, I was obvouisly not happy about the reputation some ME owners have created. With that, I can say that these clinics are individually owned and each owner applies his or her own philosophy to the business. For us, we put principle over profits. We offer medical benefits (Cover TN), 401K (cancelled because no one wanted it), 50% paid CEU's, employees earn a free massage based on helping each other out between massages ect. We pay the servicing therapist just as we would if a customer was in. The therapist gets bonuses for every client that requests them and for every new member.

My wife was a therapist for years before she had to get a job in the manufacturing industry after hurting her wrist. We do care for our therapists. Most of our social circle is our therapists. We have 8 or our 9 original starting therapists and do not loose therapists. I have had talks about pay with our therapists that have been in the industry for 10+ years. No doubt, you can make more for yourself if you have the ambition and business savy. The therapists we have put value on the environment that she's created and the fact that everyday, they have clients. I calculate the $/hr (not $/massage)and it averages low 30's. Like I say, this doesn't blow your mind, but that's consistent whether its Monday morning or Saturday afternoon.

The point is twofold: 1) You should consider the spa/clinic where you are interviewing; no matter what the name on the door is. Catch a therapist leaving. Ask the owner manager if you can talk to the therapists. If they have something to hide, they'll say no. If they are really concerned with the therapist, they'll be happy to offer this.
2) Different people value characteristics of the workplace differently. Running your own business has risk/reward. Scrutinize the regularity of that promised $50/hr from salons as you would anything. Damn.....ran out of characters>>>>

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Monica in Westlake, Ohio

67 months ago

Thank you, your advice is much appreciated.

For me personally, I would rather work on four people per week for 250$ versus 8 people for 130$. I put a lot into my massage sessions and to only get paid 15$ while the client is paying $40-70 does not sit well with me. I do feel, most clients, unless they are or know therapists, have no idea what small % of the cost the therapist truly gets.
That being said, I enjoy marketing, searching for good music, linens..creating the treatment room I excel in ect...yes, I am not very busy yet, I have a day job to keep my bills afloat, but in do time, I feel I will be able to work part-time and have enough clients to provide a nice income.
With a good home business, you really only need 10 regular clients per week. That is two massages a day, five days per week. I am a much happier therapist now, than when I was working in a Spa (making 9$ hr. 6-7 massages per day) or as an independent contractor (making 25$ per massage, avg. 2 per week, no pay for being on-call).....
I am young, and I know my body can not do 25-30 massages per week, so I have to make a decent amount per massage.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

Monica in Westlake, Ohio said: Thank you, your advice is much appreciated.

For me personally, I would rather work on four people per week for 250$ versus 8 people for 130$. I put a lot into my massage sessions and to only get paid 15$ while the client is paying $40-70 does not sit well with me. I do feel, most clients, unless they are or know therapists, have no idea what small % of the cost the therapist truly gets.
That being said, I enjoy marketing, searching for good music, linens..creating the treatment room I excel in ect...yes, I am not very busy yet, I have a day job to keep my bills afloat, but in do time, I feel I will be able to work part-time and have enough clients to provide a nice income.
With a good home business, you really only need 10 regular clients per week. That is two massages a day, five days per week. I am a much happier therapist now, than when I was working in a Spa (making 9$ hr. 6-7 massages per day) or as an independent contractor (making 25$ per massage, avg. 2 per week, no pay for being on-call).....
I am young, and I know my body can not do 25-30 massages per week, so I have to make a decent amount per massage.

I would expect that most therapists would like to make $50 - $60 per session. If you can find a way to do it - you should.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

Gray Neher in Castle Pines, Colorado said: I would expect that most therapists would like to make $50 - $60 per session. If you can find a way to do it - you should.

Thank you, thank you THANK YOU for giving Monica permission to make better money than Massage Envy is willing to offer. Again, your posts prove to be SOOOOOOOO helpful...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

frustrated in Lompoc, California

67 months ago

client said: Hi. I am glad I found this forum.

I have limited financial resources (otherwise I would go to a deluxe spa which includes many amenities far and above the actual massage), but if I feel any pressure whatsoever to tip in addition to paying a membership fee, then I simply will not join Massage Envy.

I am shocked and disappointed to learn that a membership-based entity would even permit you to accept tips, let alone encourage them

They encourage tips because they pay their employees so little. If their employees could not accept tips, they could not afford to work there. It is the industry standard to tip for massages. If you do not tip, I would advise you to not frequent the same place more than once. The therapists talk to each other, and you don't want the reputation of being a bad tipper or a tip stiffer - the quality of your massage will go down.

67 months ago

"client said: Hi. I am glad I found this forum.

I have limited financial resources (otherwise I would go to a deluxe spa which includes many amenities far and above the actual massage), but if I feel any pressure whatsoever to tip in addition to paying a membership fee, then I simply will not join Massage Envy.

I am shocked and disappointed to learn that a membership-based entity would even permit you to accept tips, let alone encourage them."

Client,
Please take your business elsewhere. As a therapist, I too have limited financial resources, and with people like you, they become more limited. So if you feel that you can not afford it, then don't do it.

When you go out to eat and stiff your waitress, they remember and they tell the other waitresses too. It's amazing how often the five second rule is used for bad tippers in restaurants. ;-o

And yes, ME's encourage tips to the point of the tip schedule being in on the front desk when you leave and some even have them in the rooms along with gratuity envelopes.

67 months ago

"I have limited financial resources (otherwise I would go to a deluxe spa which includes many amenities far and above the actual massage), but if I feel any pressure whatsoever to tip in addition to paying a membership fee, then I simply will not join Massage Envy.

I am shocked and disappointed to learn that a membership-based entity would even permit you to accept tips, let alone encourage them."

To the Client: I recommend you schedule with a therapist who has a home practice. You will pay about as much as Massage Envy and you will not be expected to tip.
Additionally, the benefit's of a home studio include:privacy, more time to discuss your needs, the massage is not rushed and you will not receive the standard 'cookie-cutter' massage.
A happier massage therapist= a better massage!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

Insurance and massage just don't mix. I hear a lot of talk of massage becoming more mainstream and acceptable. This may not be all that great for the therapist or the ME owner.

See, insurance companies are out to make money, and they set the fee schedules for the services that are covered. I charge $60 for an hour of massage. If I want to accept insurance, the fee is $40 and hour. So I lose $20 an hour and I have to do paperwork, learn codes and submit it to the insurance company for payment. They pay in 30 to 90 days depending upon which insurance company you're a part of (you can accept more than one insurance).

For the ME owners out there, it would be cost prohibitive. You must treat the clients files as medical files, which they're not treated like right now. They must be in a separate secured room (Which treatment room are you willing to lose?)or in a lockable cabinet for a period of seven years (that includes inactive files). One of the front desk staff must be trained in medical coding and billing and submit the forms correctly (or your claim will be rejected) to the correct insurance company OR you can program Millennium to do this to keep it simple. Maybe submit the day's insurance claims at night when closing in a batch file. You won't be paid for at least 30 days after the service is performed. And it'll take more man hours to complete the forms. The medical records must be kept confidential and talk of a client's ailment must not be used to sell memberships. IE:
Therapist: Okay Jane, I'd like to see you back next week so I can treat that sciatica.
Front Desk: Let me tell you about our wellness program, did Confused tell to you about it? No, okay, for only ...... this will allow you to come back and get your sciatica treated next week for only ...
All HIPPA laws must be followed to the letter.

er... I think that's enough to get the picture.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « First « Previous   3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.