Massage Therapist Union

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 164)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

therapistinga in Atlanta, Georgia

65 months ago

I am interested in having a serious conversation with other massage therapists about forming a viable union to protect massage therapist who work as W-2 employees. I am moslty self employed but I have one W-2 position and I see how the spa takes advantage of its workers. I am located in North Atlanta.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (45) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

dwm2215 in Lake Villa, Illinois

65 months ago

Hi jen in lake villa,
Im Bill also in Lake Villa. I cant even get a job because I am a male. I wouldnt say that except I keep getting told that all of the salons I visit have a male already and they cant hire another. So really you should be happy you have a job because some of us cant get one just because of our sex. I am a medical therapist with now a year and a half of experience 7 months of those post graduation now. And have even done ce work although it isnt required of me yet. STILL I GET NO QUARTER WHEN IT COMES TO A JOB. Now I am starving and would give anything to just get my foot into the door somewhere including deal with low pay right now. Heck I had to slash my own private ptactice prices because I was hoping to be able to grow a practice from the comfort of having a regular job but was fired from that two days after being hurt on the job just prior to my graduation by a couple of months.

As far as local ce coures GO FOR IT

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Roshani in Chicago, Illinois

65 months ago

I live in Chicago and I work for a chiropractor's office. I would love to stay in this industry but the lack of health benefits for a job that is considered to in the health care profession makes me think this career will be short-lived. I would be interested to see if AMTA would represent the interests of its membership with starting a union that would protect massage therapists but I am not so sure a professional association is the same thing as a union. It would be interesting to see how other health care professionals started off their unions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

Roshani in Chicago, Illinois said: I live in Chicago and I work for a chiropractor's office. I would love to stay in this industry but the lack of health benefits for a job that is considered to in the health care profession makes me think this career will be short-lived. I would be interested to see if AMTA would represent the interests of its membership with starting a union that would protect massage therapists but I am not so sure a professional association is the same thing as a union. It would be interesting to see how other health care professionals started off their unions.

AMTA was just a thought about how to reach therapists. I know plenty of therapists that aren't members of the AMTA and they are the ones that seem to need a union the most. Therapists that are making less money tend not to belong to organizations that charge 200+ dollars for annual membership. I just want ideas about how to reach people and to see if there are therapists out there willing to work towards a union.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

Roshani in Chicago, Illinois said: I live in Chicago and I work for a chiropractor's office. I would love to stay in this industry but the lack of health benefits for a job that is considered to in the health care profession makes me think this career will be short-lived. I would be interested to see if AMTA would represent the interests of its membership with starting a union that would protect massage therapists but I am not so sure a professional association is the same thing as a union. It would be interesting to see how other health care professionals started off their unions.

I have even wrote the AMTA and asked why they don't have a group health insurance plan which I think would be a GREAT way to get new members and they just reply that it's not a viable option. They do have a disability insurance plan and I have a policy throught them. Membership also gets you a decent liability insurance policy which is mandatory if you are an independant contractor

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Roshani in Chicago, Illinois

65 months ago

I completely agree that AMTA is a great way to reach other therapists. I am simply curious about how it works in other industries as far as professional associations and unions.

I am a member and I have the liability insurance policy too because I am an independent contractor. I honestly have not become as involved in AMTA as I could be. I have some friends who work with unions that represent other health care professionals. I wouldn't mind conversing with you more for some ideas - my e-mail address is roshanir@hotmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

FusionMassage in Kissimmee, Florida

65 months ago

I encourage everyone to join LinkedIn(www.linkedin.com). It is a fantastic resource for building a network of like-minded individuals, sharing ideas and opinions and contacting leaders in our industry. It's free! Share with everyone! If you get involved, contact me, Fusion Massage, through my group, 2009 FSMTA Annual Convention. You can create your own group regarding massage unions. Tell everyon on Indeed!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

a bee in Bell, California

65 months ago

dwm2215 in Lake Villa, Illinois said: I cant even get a job because I am a male. I wouldnt say that except I keep getting told that all of the salons I visit have a male already and they cant hire another. So really you should

I'm so frickin' tired of hearing men gripe about not being able to get a massage job. Really!? Did you do your homework before wasting your time on massage school, or did you just jump in without THINKING first?

This is the real world, men. NOBODY WANTS YOU TO GIVE THEM A MASSAGE. Men AND women both want a female practitioner. So either WORK FOR YOURSELF or choose, ummm, ANY of the other jobs out there that don't discriminate against men. Which would be ALL of the others. Because MOST of the others discriminate against women. Welcome to our world!

Either way, BE QUIET!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (42) Reply - Report abuse

MT Jen in Lake Villa, Illinois

65 months ago

a bee in Bell, California said: I'm so frickin' tired of hearing men gripe about not being able to get a massage job. Really!? Did you do your homework before wasting your time on massage school, or did you just jump in without THINKING first?

This is the real world, men. NOBODY WANTS YOU TO GIVE THEM A MASSAGE. Men AND women both want a female practitioner. So either WORK FOR YOURSELF or choose, ummm, ANY of the other jobs out there that don't discriminate against men. Which would be ALL of the others. Because MOST of the others discriminate against women. Welcome to our world!

Either way, BE QUIET!

Wow, A bee. I thought we were all on the same team here. Pretty harsh, don't ya think? I sure hope your clients are not picking up on this tranference during your sessions!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

Sharon Moak in Vancouver, Washington

65 months ago

MT Jen in Lake Villa, Illinois said: Wow, A bee. I thought we were all on the same team here. Pretty harsh, don't ya think? I sure hope your clients are not picking up on this tranference during your sessions!

It's harsh but true. I have yet to be convinced that more men are needed in massage, despite Julie in Redmond's articles. She bases her assertion on the fact that the overwhelming majority of MPs are females. That does not build a case for the industry needing more male MPs.

There are so many other career options that are better for men. Is it really a secret that employers and clients alike discriminate against men? Then men either shouldn't be surprised when it happens - and it is truly a matter of when - or they should start off working as independent contractors.

That truly is reality, like it or not.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

Please start your own post regarding male therapists if you wish to discuss that. The purpose of this forum topic is the potential for unionizing. Please, I ask that you don't use this area to attack others. It's not very nice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

therapistinga in Atlanta, Georgia said: Please start your own post regarding male therapists if you wish to discuss that. The purpose of this forum topic is the potential for unionizing. Please, I ask that you don't use this area to attack others. It's not very nice.

Are you a moderator?????

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

MT Jen in Lake Villa, Illinois

65 months ago

Sharon Moak in Vancouver, Washington said: Are you a moderator?????

I would love to participate in an adult conversation regarding the need for a MT union but that seem unlikely in this venue. Please? I believe, moderator or not, we are asking you nicely to take your comments elsewhere.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

MT n WA in Olympia, Washington

65 months ago

Obviously many MTs believe there's a huge need for a massage union.

You grow up.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Sabeena in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

65 months ago

Here's my two cents. I'll never participate in a union. Too many people grouping together to hold down the masses is the entire problem with the corporate world. Why would I want to do the same just to retaliate?

Is that an adult enough conversation fer ya?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

Cowards seemed to be attracted to the habit of attacking the faceless 'other' via a computer. You might think purging that anger that lives in your body this way is 'safe' but anger will only grow stronger and eat a whole in your baody and spirit and harm the people you touch. Namaste'

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

Terry Time in Trenton, Florida

65 months ago

I don't think unionizing is a good idea. Can you think of one industry that has remained profitable after unionizing? Unions have destroyed the airline, textile, automobile and steel industries. Unions destroy businesses by choking them with excessive rules. The initial intent is always good - protect the worker - but the outcome is the same.

That's why I'll work against all unionization efforts.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

My apologies. A coworker posted but forgot to log me off. I don't like to see pettiness attached to my name. Sometimes she can act ugly for such a beautiful lady!

I'm not surprised by the responses here. When Massage Envy came to my hometown in Florida we tried to organize therapists together, not so much with the intent to unionize but to present a unified statement of purpose to ME directors and owners. Nothing ever came of it. Very few would show up to meetings as promised. It seemed that many massage practitioners there were too free spirited to agree to a unified position.

It wasn't a positive experience, to say the least. Best of wishes whatever happens!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

LMT in Scottsdale, Arizona

65 months ago

Dear Singapore,

Do you want a qualified LMT or do you want a pretty face and body to rub your gross men? Go solicit somewhere else!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

thebodyworker in Redmond, Washington

65 months ago

I don't think a union is the answer. I think educating massage therapists is which is why I create my sites and teach. The problem is that we are teaching employers how to treat us because someone will always take a job at a low rate/bad benefits etc. If people had more self confidence to say no and to take the time to prove to employers just how much you can increase their business instead of just wanting massage employers to do everything for them then they would respect massage therapists more.

thebodyworker.com/massage_therapy_job_center.htm

Julie

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

well said. I totally agree. Therapists need to respect themselves and their work and walk away from business situations that are not good for them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

spa worker in Kegley, West Virginia

65 months ago

therapistinga in Atlanta, Georgia said: I am interested in having a serious conversation with other massage therapists about forming a viable union to protect massage therapist who work as W-2 employees. I am moslty self employed but I have one W-2 position and I see how the spa takes advantage of its workers. I am located in North Atlanta.

i am a massage therapist who works a spa and we have had a union since 1978

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

i am a massage therapist who works in a spa, we have been in a union since 1978.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

i am a massage therepist in a spa, we have been in a union since 1978

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

MT Jen in Lake Villa, Illinois said: Wow, A bee. I thought we were all on the same team here. Pretty harsh, don't ya think? I sure hope your clients are not picking up on this tranference during your sessions!

Hey jen thanks for stickin up for me. I know a lot of great female practitioners as I have said and I myself prefer a female for some types of bodywork because all the great practioners I know are female in that field. If anyone out there thinks I'm griping your dead wrong, and Jen your right were all on the same team here we are here to serve our clients and the communities, and yes I thought my carrer path out very seriously I'm over half blind and that gives me a greater acuity in my hands, or as I like to call it touch sensitivity. I know that this field is female dominated and I didn't and still don't have a problem with that. My problem is with people such as that killer bee up there, as Jen pointed out that attitude may transfer onto clients and I think at large many of you out there may have these same feelings brewing maybee even without realizing it. That affects all of us however in many ways and yes I do now work for myself but I feel really alientated by an already alienating world. I made a choice for massage therapy because I am disabled and though a group of compassionate therapists would get the picture that a disabled person was not only re-enabling himself by educating himself in a healing art that fit his disabilities but in doing so he could now empower others. I guess I really missed the mark on how deeply we are thinking as a society, maybee we all need to go to that special quiet place called center and remeet that reason we are therapists.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

therapistinga in Portland, Oregon

64 months ago

therapistinga in Atlanta, Georgia said: Please start your own post regarding male therapists if you wish to discuss that. The purpose of this forum topic is the potential for unionizing. Please, I ask that you don't use this area to attack others. It's not very nice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

This does spoeak on the subject of unionizing men woukd then have equal rights and malicious and destructive attitudes towards a male therapist could be put by the wayside

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

therapistinga in Atlanta, Georgia said: I have even wrote the AMTA and asked why they don't have a group health insurance plan which I think would be a GREAT way to get new members and they just reply that it's not a viable option. They do have a disability insurance plan and I have a policy throught them. Membership also gets you a decent liability insurance policy which is mandatory if you are an independant contractor

The AMTA does offer discounts and adittional plans for heath disability ect. to its members contact the plan administrators.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Manny M in Denver, Colorado

64 months ago

dwm2215 in Lake Villa, Illinois said: This does spoeak on the subject of unionizing men woukd then have equal rights and malicious and destructive attitudes towards a male therapist could be put by the wayside

Unionizing would do absolutely nothing to further the interests of male therapists. Institutions that try to force attitudes only solidify the negativity.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

Ahhh,so to correct. If one tries to force anything the one it is being forced upon will only resist. But a union would bring one forum for education such as professional organizations do for their members. There are however a few very good comments on the field of proftability. This could impact business owners and therapists in a number of other bad ways, and client impact would be of greatest concern to me. What are you saying as a therapist if you are union and you strike. You are functionally saying $$$$ overide you realtionship with your clients if money is your prime motivation with massage therapy your priorities are wrong in my opinion. You need to be in it for the clients interests. I have done a lot of priate work but only made about $90 in the last year. My clients are stressed and poor many layed off I'm here for people not $$$. A union would only restrict the freedom I have to do my own thing and help people the way I want to help them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

I do not attack others nor would I dare. I merely am making us all ask the question are some of us thinking about unions because of the attitudes we are carrying around are getting in the way of our ability to treat eachother corectly as the compassionate individuals I know we all started out as in this field. We all know as practioners and even those who are business owners what things are important such as healtcare, vacations, pay, and other benefits such as discounted or free massages where you work. You see I actually have a unique perspective I am now a new owner of my private practice (forced into it because of no job)but I was a manager for 7 years prior to this work and can say that we all know what is important, we need to look into other options other than unions such as group coverages these could better serve our interests as a whole and not be imposing on those who don't want to participate.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Eve in Austin, Texas

64 months ago

I am in for a union.. Keep me posted ;)
www.ibeli-eve.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Aleksandar in Stockholm, Sweden

64 months ago

Hello Everyone, I am in for a union as well

www.massageexpert.se

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

spa therapist in New York, New York

64 months ago

Those of us who work in hotel spas are beginning to be approached about joining service workers unions. I have respect for service workers and their unions but we have worked long and hard to establish ourselves as health care practitioners. Is there a health care union we could join? That way, all MT's would be unified whether they work in hospitals, spas, or wherever.

64 months ago

Ok Ive kind of had it with this. I am a male this makes it harder to get a job besause of attitudes of certain peoples. A union would even the odds a heck of a lot, HOWEVER and thats a big HOWEVER. I used to work in restaraunts for years and was a member of the hotel restaraunt and service and hospitality service workewrs union local #74 in St. Louis MO. it had its pros and cons.
Pro: health care (a lot of massage employers offer this in some respect),retirement benefit pension (again I've seen companies with 401k's out there for MTs')ect ect.. almost all the issues we would need a union for as a group massage therapists have pretty well covered. The cons however are ones that could put our clinics and chiropractors and spas out of biz. CONS: STRIKES OVER PAY (If we go there we are sending the message to clients we dont care as much for them as the $$$$$) High premiums for the union more of that precious money I think some of you are really worried about now.
I think that money and lack of it would be the only motivation towards unionizing. I think its a mistake. We have enough politics in our carrers with the politicians why do we want to create more of the same. I cant get work because the playing field isnt level and I still dont want a union, women in this country mostly built this field and gave it the recognition and clout it deserves by doing great work and putting forth research and statistical data that shows clicical data in this country and I'm glad to take a back seat to that sucess even if more research is needed for a lot of the items covered. Another uh oh is that above it states that service unions are approaching us. Thats a problem right there...
I worked hard to get a medically based degree and many of you out there who have been working in this industry for awhile have worked hard to get it noticed in the medical community if we do unionize it would have to be in the medical unions somehow and not the service unions. We do med. Based wrk.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

howard228 in Deerfield Beach, Florida

63 months ago

therapistinga in Atlanta, Georgia said: I am interested in having a serious conversation with other massage therapists about forming a viable union to protect massage therapist who work as W-2 employees. I am moslty self employed but I have one W-2 position and I see how the spa takes advantage of its workers. I am located in North Atlanta.

I am very serious about forming a union for licensed massage therapists, I am sick in tired of the state of florida taking a piece of my pie!

Bridget in Hilo, Hawaii

63 months ago

I think some form of representation would be beneficial. Yes, being compensated fairly for the work I perform is important to me, as well as being valued and treated respectfully. (I contribute to charities and perform massages for free on my off time.) Even when the economy was doing well and the spas were making lots of profit, there was even one hotel that eeked out as much profit as possible by having the therapists finish what the laundry department was to do, and they just got rid of the cleaning company and are having the therapists clean the spa. No other hotel (out of many), has ever done this. Plus, if a guest wants a massage at 11 PM, they have to do it. Makes it tough when you've already worked that day, and then work the next morning. They now have made all of the independent contractors, employees with no benefits (now they will not have write offs) - with a 15% pay cut - cut the business hours - numerous discounts - and will have less appointments because of a new system of booking. All of this when they still have lots of business.

Any one else have similar situations? What did you do? We are talking about joining a union, if not, bringing in a mediator.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

In this particular case I would suggest that these therapists join the hotel workers and servicew union howeverr I still think they are a bad idea overall. We provide a medical service. Yes we should be compensated fairly but at what cost, that is my concern. I am only against a union because I thionk they could send out a bad message about out industry.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

StandUp in Carlsbad, California

62 months ago

I am currently looking into options of how to create a union. I think if I can find the right avenues and enough fellow therapists to REALLY take a stand and take a risk it can happen. We're gonna have to rise above the fear to make it work, that is for sure the greatest obsticle.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

StandUp in Carlsbad, California

62 months ago

dwm2215 in Lake Villa, Illinois said: In this particular case I would suggest that these therapists join the hotel workers and servicew union howeverr I still think they are a bad idea overall. We provide a medical service. Yes we should be compensated fairly but at what cost, that is my concern. I am only against a union because I thionk they could send out a bad message about out industry.

I think a typical union is not necessarily the best option, but using the idea and history of what unions have done for other organizations is a good example to base off of.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

maria in Los Angeles, California

62 months ago

I've never been a union supporter, but after 9 years in this business and the nonsense I've put up with, I'm ready for some fair representation. I agree w/those who've said a health/med workers union would be better than a hotel/service workers option. Very few places even have LMTs as employees in my area. Most of us are independent contractors, even if we work at a place. With things deteriorating in this region the past couple of years (economy-wise), working for one's self is harder than ever. As most of us know, one has to have many irons in the fire, working different places. I know of no "employee" positions in this area, other than Massage Envy. And there, in my experience, you also have to buy your own liability insurance- which doesn't seem like a lot, I'm sure- but when you don't take home a whole lot, it's a burden. It seems, legally, the employer is liable for the employees and the employee shouldn't pay it. Do regular, everyday employees pay for liability insurance in other jobs? Anyway, any place that "hires" MTs around here makes them independent contractors. Depending on where one works, if one wants to keep the job either show up, on call, within a few minutes of a call or sit and wait and not get paid, and maybe someone will come in and maybe not. No hands-on work, no pay. Although I've come across a couple of very competent and decent owners who want the situation to be mutually beneficial, my experience, as a whole, has been owners and chiros who take advantage of an LMT's difficulty in making a living. I've rented space, been on time with rent, written agreement, just to walk in one day and find they decided "not to have massage any more" or give the room to a manicurist, or whatever. Come on, even though the agreement's in writing, there is almost always (after 9 years I've seen it all) language that says the agreement can be terminated @ any time by the owner. We have no rights. They know we can't afford legal help.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

maria in Los Angeles, California

62 months ago

Also, as being independent, if we're injured, we have no recourse. If works slows and we're let go, no unemployment. I've also come across owners and chiros who want MTs to work there, but encourage them to NOT be licensed because they don't want the hassles and costs of compliance (every city has different laws here in CA and many make the owners pass screening and pay fees for establishment licensing each year). If I work at a place unlicensed, I risk the liability insurance I paid for myself being nullified, I risk the city nailing me, and I risk the owner/chiro doing whatever they want (including underpaying or not paying) and I have no real recourse- I'm the one who decided to work at an unlicensed place. But, I'm telling you, it happens every day. There are so many! When one has few other options, it's easy to try out working in this way. And easy to be taken advantage of along the way. I'm all for a union.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

I am originally from california and am nreally bery disturbed by the working conditions I've been hearing about for therapists in California for a while now. I do know however that a cpuple of laws have been passed in California that may or may not help you out there. go to the AMTA website for california to get the "scoop". I do understand what you are going through as an independant conractor " right now I am wainting on pay here in illinois from a month ago" it is only $30 but as a disabled worker $30 is a lot of money. I did my part at the event I worked and even forked over the cash to their sales mgr. I could have taken literally my share then but my contract states that I have to give them the money and then wait for mine. Not really fair since I have to eat to. But that is what i have had to sign to get work. I also agree that a service/ hospitality workers union may not fit most of us I was hust refering to those who already are working in the hotels or other industries that do have this union. We need a medically based union I am for instance a Licensed Medical Massage Therapist not that that makes it any easier to get work but I studied a lot of extra stuff about the body and medicines,herbs,and conditions with pathology to get that certification. I want to be recognized as being a relaxiation or medical therapist and not as just a service provider/.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jesus aka cave man in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

60 months ago

a union is the only way yaba daba doo clue me in ?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

I personally have been FORCED into running my own practice. I am disabled visually and I get hurt at every other job. I cant even get by and if unionization comes around I will not ever expand. I have lived through that senario before and if therapists uniomize I will not hire them I will be a non union shop. I treat special populations and dont make moch so I wouldnt be able to afford to hire anyone with the boosted salaries and what not. ARE WE OVERLOOKING THE GROWTH OF OUR PROFESSION FOR THE SAKE OF A $$?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Karen in N Ca in Hayward, California

60 months ago

I have worked for many years as a massage therapist/independent contractor primarily at a spa that has treated me well. Granted it took me a long time to work up to the place where I get steady work, but I appreciate the contol over when and how I work. This spa is well managed, they understand the nuances of my position as an IC and treat me like a professional. In spite of this the Ca Labor Relations Board has stepped in and they are trying to force us to become employees. This in spite of the fact that being a MT employee is a bum deal primarily because full time massage work is more like 20 hours a week than 40 so we don't fit the rules for full time employment and end up working part time which doesn't afford us any benefits to speak of. They (LRB) have done a sweep of N Ca putting some establishments out of business, because they couldn't afford fines, etc. There are no easy answers, but I'm wondering if there are any others out there in N Ca (or elsewhere) who have had a similar experience.

Ricky in nor cal Newark, California in San Mateo, California

59 months ago

Iam for the union Ive been trying to organize MT at my job. I have a petition signed by the majority of the MT, but I am haveing a hard time finding a union to take us. Does anyone have information on health care unions that acccept MT?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

MaleW2andPrivateMT in Sacramento, California

58 months ago

First I will say that as a man in massage, it is a little harder but I do have a thriving practice and many people have come in uneasy about a massage from a Man and I have changed their minds. This is the first post that I have seen as a negative to unionize. Yes, unions have come in with many rules. I have been discusted when baseball and hockey players went on strike. But, in the massage world I like to say that my clients come first. To participate in a strike would ultimately hurt the clients. There are now so many places like Massage Envy, whose genius was pay their employees dirt, and we can make money. There seems to be no limit to what they will do to us. I think that we need a voice to help us fight for things that even fast food places have, benefits, vacation time, and livable wages.

Pamela in Indianapolis, Indiana

57 months ago

I would like to form a massage therapist union. This crap is not right. You can email me @pamelai3@aol.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Pamela in Indianapolis, Indiana

57 months ago

dwm2215 in Lake Villa, Illinois said: In this particular case I would suggest that these therapists join the hotel workers and servicew union howeverr I still think they are a bad idea overall. We provide a medical service. Yes we should be compensated fairly but at what cost, that is my concern. I am only against a union because I thionk they could send out a bad message about out industry.

Send a bad message? If I took a receptionist job, I would expect payment for every minute that I am at work and a benefit package. Now, what would happen if all of the receptionist in this country just got paid .25 every time they answered the phone. No benefits no vacation just .25 per phone call answered. Would professional receptionist be angry? Wake up, we have entered and paid for a industry that is not protecting us.

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.