Massage Therapy Online Education

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (101 to 150 of 214)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

tammy in North Las Vegas, Nevada

70 months ago

Congradulations Robin!!! Wish me luck on the National exam next week.(2nd time)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Robin in Ohio

70 months ago

tammy in North Las Vegas, Nevada said: Congradulations Robin!!! Wish me luck on the National exam next week.(2nd time)

Good Luck Tammy! Let us know how it went. My fingers are crossed for you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Dee in Newton Falls, Ohio

70 months ago

Robin, from Ohio said: Tammy, I just took the Ohio Boards last week, and now I am looking forward and starting to think about Nationals. I am not applying until I find out what I got on boards, but I am starting to get information together. I would appreciate it if you could send me you study guide. Thank you. r0ckinbird@aol.com (0 = the number not the letter)

Would love to have study guides, too.
dsizemore51@aol.com THANKYOU!!!

Brittany in Orlando, Florida

69 months ago

I would also love study guides. Thanks!

tammy in North Las Vegas, Nevada

69 months ago

I just wanted to say I FINALLY PASSED THE NCBTM TEST, YEAH 4 ME!!!!!!!!!
It took the 2nd time but don't ever give up!!!

Ebony in San Marcos, California

69 months ago

tammy...did the test include or not include chinese meridians?

Robin in Ohio

69 months ago

tammy in North Las Vegas, Nevada said: I just wanted to say I FINALLY PASSED THE NCBTM TEST, YEAH 4 ME!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations!!!

Tammy in North Las Vegas, Nevada

69 months ago

Thank You Robin!!! Now I need a MASSAGE NOW!!!!!! A lot of stress and worry has been lifted!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tonya In Ohio in Middleton, Wisconsin

69 months ago

I have taken the SMB 2 times and passed the massage portion the first time and failed the A&P both times. Anyone out there that can help me with what to review or any pointers I would be so thankful.

Ja'net in Middletown, Delaware

69 months ago

NCBTMB has two tests. One is for Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork and one is for Therapeutic Massage. Many people fail because the first test for Therapeutic Massage and Bodyworkers include all the Asian medicine stuff, of which I have no interest. My college (I have a degree in therapeutic massage) did not inform the students of their choice to take either test. I found out this information on my own and and took the test for Therapeutic Massage only and did "extremely" well. Most states do not have a requirement for which test you take, as Asian medicine modalities are not a requirement in most states, but that you pass the test you do take. In DE we have to levels -- Certified Massage Technician and Licensed Massage Therapist. I am a LMT, the highest standing you can recieve and I took the test for Therapeutic Massage only, but if I chose to practice Asain medicine I am licensed to do so, as I am licensed to practice any form of massage and bodywork. For those of you who have failed because of Asian medicine questions, know that you have a CHOICE as to what test you want to take. Do not allow yourself to be set up for failure. I pray everything works out well for you and this information helps.

Julie in Redmond, Washington

69 months ago

I don't think you took any courses through the link you provided. It is just a link farm not a real school.

Julie
www.thebodyworker.com
www.massagetherapycareers.com

kallysta in Wisconsin said: I'm just curious to see if anyone else out there as received their training online. I completed an online training course about 1 1/2 yrs ago and I'm really glad I chose that route. I was able to study at my own pace and set a realistic goal as to when I would complete the training. It was hard work because I still had to take quizzes and exams but I think it paid off in the end. It was inexpensive compared to outside schools and I feel as though I've learned just as much (if not more) than those who have gone to an actual accredited massage school. I know the laws and regulations are different for each state but in WI, you just can't state your title as being "Certified Massage Therapist". We have to call ourselves "Massage Practitioners or Technicians". (you legally cannot say you are certified or licensed if you are not)I've been successful this far so I have no complaints. I know others have told me that they wish they wouldn't have taken the national exam because it really doesn't mean anything except that you can pass a test and say you are licensed. I could pass the same test if I wanted to by taking the alternative exam. I have enough hours and knowledge of the field but I chose not to do so because then you are required to keep up with CEU's and the insurance costs are much higher. Please let me know your thoughts & if you had the opportunity to learn about this field online.
I went through www.teachmehowtomassage.com

Kristy

69 months ago

Kallysta, I have to say that your comment about being Nationally Certified "doesn't really mean anything" is absolutely ignorant. Being Nationally Certified sets a certain standard that all Massage *THERAPISTS* must uphold. Obviously if you had gone to an accredited Massage School you would know that. Also, learning online is by no means a way to learn massage. Its not something you can put on paper or learn off a computer screen...its a craft that you have to master by having hands on experience. I also have a very hard time believing that other therapists who have taken the National and passed it would say they wish that they hadn't taken it...those people who would say something like that are the ones who took it and didn't pass it and then gave up. In regards to keeping up with CEU's...thats very important. It is very imporatant to learn new and different techniques because they are valuable to your practice as a Massage THERAPIST. Its important to continue your education to help build your business because then you can offer more services (which means more income). Also, practicing without insurance...thats just plain stupid. Its people like you who give Massage a bad name by opening your mouth and talking about things you have absolutely no knowledge about. You need to get a clue.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

Being nationally certified does no such thing. It is only a piece of paper saying you passed and exam that was multiple choice questions. There are no standards in this profession. Standards are measurable compentencies such as this:
ramblemuse.com/mmap/documents/competencylib.php

A test does not measure a massage therapists ability to communicate with a client or develop a relationship with a client which is what a therapeutic relationship is all about.

I have never taken the National exam and never will. I would rather throw away 20 years of practice than take an exam like that.

Learning new techniques are valuable to you and not everyone. Building a successful business has nothing to do with offering more services. It is more about your beliefs about yourself and how much you value your time and how much you charge for your services.

What school did you go through online? It wasn't the one with the links and I want to add it to my directory if there is such a thing as an online training for massage.

Kristy

69 months ago

Julie, if you took the test you would know that it does evaluate your competency. It does set a standard because it tests to see how knowlegable you are in the field. I completely agree with you about how your business is based on your beliefs and the kind of person you are...but continuing education is important because you need to continue learning in order to grow. Thats why NCBTMB requires that you continue your education.

69 months ago

That still is just their opinion. What a person needs to grow depends on them. You don't necessarily need to learn to grow. Just working with clients with challenges can be enough to grow. And why is growing necessary to being successful. You could do the same basic massage on all of the clients and still be successful. It is just an opinion that you need classes to grow. While it may be necessary for you, it may not be for others.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kristy

69 months ago

I believe we are going to have to agree to disagree. You have vaild points...and I believe I have valid points. Unfortuantly for you and others who agree with your opinion, taking the exam is required in most states in order to practice.

69 months ago

Yes it is required and it is too bad for those who are forced into taking such a thing. All I am saying is that it is your opinion that taking that exam makes you better than anyone who doesn't take it. It is your opinion that continuing ed is needed for growth.

In 20 years of full time practice I have never been asked if I am nationally certified or even licensed or if I take classes.

Kristy

69 months ago

I never said that taking an the exam makes me *BETTER* than anyone...I just said it sets a certain standard. You seem very hostile towards those who are trying to uphold the regulations set by the NCBTMB.

Deanna in White Post, Virginia

69 months ago

I have to agree with Kristy as far as taking the National Certification. I don't understand why anyone would think it's unnecessary. Taking a test makes no one person better than the other. Tests show your competency in your field. I wouldn't want to walk into someones spa and see no certificate on the wall. I would turn around and walk out. Standards must be made and kept... ESPECIALLY because we are now considered a medical field. Would you want a surgeon to operate on you if he/she had not passed their certification? The NCBTMB made their rules and regulations for a reason. If you don't like it, then maybe you should not be a therapist. These rules are made to protect us.

Tonya Imm in Edgerton, Ohio

69 months ago

I have taken the ohio state boards and only passed the massage portion, I need all the info on how to pass the A&P portion of the test. Thank you so much.

69 months ago

That is one of the myths in this profession -for lack of a better word. The tests do not measure competency. They measure whether you can answer a test question.

There is nothing that anyone needs to be protected from - no proof of harm.

If you just read up on the history of the NCE and how and why it was created and all of the politics surrounding them and look into the New Federation of Massage State Boards you will get some insights into the real massage profession.

Start with reading Keith Grant's White paper that I linked to previously. There is no proof that more education is needed. The number of hours of education conveniently increased so that massage schools could get grant and loan funding for their students.

I have been a full time massage therapist for 20 years and love what I do. I hate that fact that the art of massage is really being lost because of all this. That's all.

Julie

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Kristy

69 months ago

You need to show that you have a certain amount of knowledge in order to be in practice as a Massage Therapist. Its the same in any other profession. Doctors, Lawyers...they all have to show they are knowledgable by passing exams and state boards. Also, people who aren't knowledgable *CAN* and *WILL* eventually hurt someone. If you don't know what is contraindicated for massage...you will end up injuring a client. I'm just glad that we do have regulations and rules that must be upheld in order to practice. It seperates the people who are professionals from the amateurs. For someone who has never sat the test...you seem to think you know alot about it.

69 months ago

That is just not true about
"people who aren't knowledgable *CAN* and *WILL* eventually hurt someone. If you don't know what is contraindicated for massage...you will end up injuring a client." If this were so our liability ins would be the same as doctors but since it is only a hundred or two a year - there is no proof that massage can do harm.

No I have never taken the test but still have a full time very successful practice without it and plan on going until I retire in another 10 years or so. Most of my work is injury and insurance billing as well as working with professional athletes and pregnant women.

What I know about is what it takes to be able to do massage. Have you read the documents yet? Then we can discuss massage politics. Or you can join the massage politics group on Yahoo.

Kristy

69 months ago

I don't need or care to read your documents. If its not true that people can and will hurt clients...then why do we go to school and learn how massage...why don't we just read out of books from Borders and go apply for a job?! If we don't need to know what will hurt someone then why are we taught it in school? Isn't it better for someone to know what they are capable of doing? Anyway...this is getting old and I really don't care to hear what you say anymore because its just the same thing over and over. You believe what you believe...I believe what I believe. You have valid points about your business and success being based on the individual you are...I believe I have valid points on how you need to be successful as well. If not being certified works for you...then whatever. I honestly don't care what you do as an individual. I am just so glad where I'm from we have to be certified to practice. As for your comments about discussing this on a politics board on yahoo...it is what it is. You copy and pasted someones comment...I replied to their comment...which I believe is absolutely ridiculous. You don't. You are entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to mine. Thats it.

69 months ago

Yes just read the article or join the group so you can learn the truth about the massage profession and all of it's claims on harm or here is some info on the misinformation surrounding contraindications.

www.massagetherapyfoundation.org/pdf/Contraindications%20for%20Massage.pdf

mary in Knoxville, Tennessee

69 months ago

tammy in North Las Vegas, Nevada said: I just wanted to say I FINALLY PASSED THE NCBTM TEST, YEAH 4 ME!!!!!!!!!

I AM A WITTNESS TO NOT GIVING UP THIS IS MY THIRD TIME TAKING THE TEST I MISSED IT BY 2POINTS AND 4 POINTS. IS THERE ANY ONE WITH GOOD STUDY NOTES OR A GUIDE THAT WANTS TO SHARE. IM NEW TO THE VEGAS AREA

Tammy in Las Vegas, Nevada

69 months ago

Hi Mary, Yes don't give up!! I have some study notes and books. I took the NCBTM test which doesn't have any Asian on it. I am from TN..and moved here in Feb. Please email me at tharris1969@hotmail.com and maybe we can get together sometime. (Small World) two Tennesseans in Vegas...

69 months ago

I am in ohio an have taken the state boards twice and going for the third time for A&P anyone out there with some advice.

Coro

68 months ago

Tammy in Cincinnati, Ohio said: I passed the National Exam on March 22. Everyone has their own way of studying. I reviewed from two study guides, Mosbys massage review, and review for massage therapy by Duke Cassel. The charts of the meridians were most beneficial and the pathologic symptoms of each meridian. I would say there were at least 35 questions on Asian medicine alone. Make sure you brush up on muscles orgin insertion and function especially forearm, scapula, rhomboids, etc. I have made a personal study guide from both review books if anyone is interested pls let me know and I will send it to you. Good luck!

Please, I would love to have a copy of your book! What should I do to get it?

mary in Las Vegas, Nevada

68 months ago

HELLO I AM VERY MUCH INTERESTED IN YOUR STUDY GUIDE. I REALLY WANT TO PERSUE MY CARRER IN MASSAGE, BUT THE EXAM IS HOLDING ME BACK. I DON'T KNOW IF IT IS BECAUSE THE TEST IS ONE THE COMPUTER OR WHAT. BUT I AM DETERMINED TO PASS. ANY HELP YOU CAN OFFER IS GREAT. THANKS IN ADVACE

68 months ago

Tammy in Cincinnati, Ohio said: I would need your email address to send the Asian study guide. I studied the muscles from the Trail Guide for the Body. Do you have that book?

I am intrested in the study quide that you have made up for the nationals my email is tonya_kuhr@yahoo.com, also have you taken the Ohio state medical boards for massage if so any suggestions on the A&P portion of the test.

mary in Knoxville, Tennessee

68 months ago

HI TAMMY MY EMAIL ADDRESS IS brownsugagrl@yahoo.com yes i have the trail guide of the body. wish me luck im so determended to complete this course of my life. thanks for your help.

Tammy in Cincinnati, Ohio

68 months ago

I need your email address to send you a study guide I comprised of the two books I listed in my comments.

68 months ago

I would need your email address to send it to you.

Christine in Middletown, Ohio

67 months ago

Congrats...on pass how was the test!

nisha in Cincinnati, Ohio

67 months ago

Grace in Chicago, Illinois said: Tammy, congratulations on passing your exam. I really appreciate your willingness to share your study guides because I truly need any help I can get! How can I go about getting in contact with you for a copy?

hi my name is nisha i am a massage student. just wanted to know if i could use your study guide you talked about? it would really be helpful. Also i would like to know how you are doing now that you passed

nisha in Cincinnati, Ohio

67 months ago

Tammy in Cincinnati, Ohio said: I passed the National Exam on March 22. Everyone has their own way of studying. I reviewed from two study guides, Mosbys massage review, and review for massage therapy by Duke Cassel. The charts of the meridians were most beneficial and the pathologic symptoms of each meridian. I would say there were at least 35 questions on Asian medicine alone. Make sure you brush up on muscles orgin insertion and function especially forearm, scapula, rhomboids, etc. I have made a personal study guide from both review books if anyone is interested pls let me know and I will send it to you. Good luck!

Hey my name is Nisha
I am a massage student and will be taking the state boards soon.
I also plan on taking the nationals.
I wanted to know if I could go over your study guide you referd to.
It would be really helpful to me and greatly appreciated.
Also if you could let me know how you are doing now that you have passed.

67 months ago

Hi Nisha,
I took the NCBTMB national test. There is alot of Asian medicine on it. The study guide I have is to help you only with the Asian medicine part. If you are studying for the Ohio boards you will have to be advised from someone who has taken that test. If you want the guide, pls send me your email.

Julie in Lewisburg, Ohio

67 months ago

Hi Courtney,
What info, hints, suggestions, etc can you share about the Ohio exam? Thanks!

courtney said: I'm glad to help but want to give you specific ways to insure you will know what you know. If you can wait for an answer I'll be able to be sure I direct you towards the tools you are looking for. I've never met anyone that wasn't worried in the last 2 months so remember you're absolutely normal.
I dislike the trickery too. I'll get back to you in the next two weeks with some tools. are you taking the nationals? You can work after graduation in Indiana with certification that requires only your diploma and ID. Kentucky accepts the Nationals. I'm working constantly on the future of this profession so if you email me again in a week or two I will give you solid avenues to find what you need. Good Luck!

Julie in Lewisburg, Ohio

67 months ago

Wendy,
Waht is your opinion of "Tortora in a nutshell"? Do you recommend it in addition to Lynn Rosenblum's Study guide? Thanks!

Wendy said: I've obsessed on how to insure that those of you who have given so much to study massage only to now give more to those you will help, have the tools to move forward with your dreams.
Ohio is tough but I was out of school for 23 years with only 6 weeks to prepare. By grace I found 2 tutors, Debbie Bommcamp and Lynn Rosenblum, that with Tortora and the Kellogg Study guide, Lynn wrote, I passed in the 90's on both parts. If you're in this area and are reviewing A&P with Debbie - that's as good as it gets!
One would think that human anatomy is what it is however the Ohio State Board questions are verbatim out of Tortora. It seems reasonable to utilize the mose accurate reference available. Lynn is clear and on target for the Kellogg part without which it's doubtful I'd have passed that part.
I own most of the books mentioned on this forum(plus everything else I haven't given away or lost in 30 years)and all have worthwhile information. I've just ordered "Tortora in a nutshell" which includes a Kellogg review - $10.00. I should have Tortora 12th edition and workbook any day. As soon as my staff and I review them, I'll post the results.

Christine, cincinnati, Oh in West Orange, New Jersey

67 months ago

Hey, this is christine. I would get lynn book along with the nuthshell.I teaching review class start next month using some of those tools.

Christine

Christine, cincinnati, Oh in West Orange, New Jersey

67 months ago

Hey, On the ohio state web site it breaks down the question for you! Totora and kellod- lynn rosenbloom book is great....Finding reiew sessions..If intrested let me know

Amy between OH and FL in Loudonville, Ohio

67 months ago

I am a student in OH. I plan to license in both OH & FL. I just ordered from Kim Fischer her review for the OH test. She guarentees that you will pass if you take her review class. As far as nationals I just downloaded the study guide from NCTMB www.ncbtmb.org/ to study for the national test which is what I will need for FL.

Some of you who are LMT in OH need to get on that board to get it changed to just take nationals instead of OH having their own special test.

Missy in Ann Arbor, Michigan

67 months ago

I just moved from Florida, all you need is the NCBTMB, but jobs are hard to come by in florida many of the ads you see are fake ads to get your information for spam

67 months ago

Thanks for the info. What about at the big resorts near Orlando?

Paula Batson in Cleveland, Ohio

67 months ago

waynona in North Las Vegas, Nevada said: congradulations on passing the test, i am scheduled to take the test o may 16, 2008 and i am very nervous if you could please send me the study guide for tips on taking the test I would appreciate it very much, i have been studying for 2 months, but still nervous ..thank you in advance....

I would like information on the two reviews.

Thanks,
Paula Batson
Maple Hts Ohio

67 months ago

Paula Batson in Cleveland, Ohio said: I would like information on the two reviews.

Thanks,
Paula Batson
Maple Hts Ohio

www.saimd.com/v5fmsnet/oRDeNT/offerlist.asp?PmSess1=264 3rd items down you can download the study guide for nationals.

www.EmpoweredByLearningLLC.com is the website that I have ordered the reveiw material for Ohio boards.

kovarella2 in Wyoming, Illinois

65 months ago

I am taking my test soon I would love a copy of your personal study guide. It will be my 2nd time. I need all the help i can get. If only it was hands on.

kovarella2 in Wyoming, Illinois

65 months ago

Please send me the study guide hellberg_massage@yahoo.com

Tammy in Cincinnati, Ohio said: I need your email address to send you a study guide I comprised of the two books I listed in my comments.

kacatte in Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin

65 months ago

I'm not here to comment that the online massage therapy programs are bad, but I don't understand how you could get the proper hands on technique training that you would in an actual school. I went to Blue Sky School of Professional Massage and Therapeutic Bodywork in DePere,WI, and yes it did cost more than most schools but I gained so much from it. In our training we had 9 weekend seminars that we had to complete to learn different techniques, we had a clinic attached to our school that the public could come in and recieve massages for $30 and we had to do 40 hours of that plus we had to complete 60 hours of friends and family massages, not to mention the first half of the day we had our hands on classes and the second half of the day we had our sciences. So I don't believe that you have the right to say that you learned/gained just as much or more than someone who attends an accredited massage school because as far as I'm concerned I don't even think you should be able to be called a certified massage therapist because you really don't have the proper training that you really should have. I mean no offense but I wouldn't want you working on me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.