Massage envy

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (36)

Natley Wilson in Albuquerque, New Mexico

63 months ago

Sorry I started a new theard it just seems the other one was too cluttered with politics. I graduated from massage school on Nov. I recieved the outstanding student award for my class, so I think I am pretty good. But I have not found a job yet! No one is hiring I had my first interview last week, I got the job she said the massage was excellent but they are real slow right now and I would probably only get 1 or 2 massages a day. That wont cover daycare. Anyway enough with the rambling. I just felt I had to explain myself with all the bashing that has gone on. I guess I am finally going to go to massage evny since they do seem to be hiring. Can someone that actually works there tell me something about it? Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

kison in Lehigh Acres, Florida

63 months ago

i have worked at 2 different locations in miami. my expeirence at each clinic was very different. one was cool - paid and treated well - and the other was terrible - overwork and pay ripped off. it all depends on the management where you are so no matter your opinion someone will disagree. talk to the therapists at the clinic to find out how it is.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

LMT in Scottsdale, Arizona

63 months ago

I also have worked at 2 different locations in two different states. I had the same experience at Kison. One location the management really respected the LMT's and the other doesn't give a damn. However, say what you will about ME, I know this to be true, I am working steady and do 5 to 6 1/2 per day. I have developed a great clientle base and it does pay day care. There are many thing wrong with the company but it all depends on the owner and managers. I'm not quit sure how you can get to talk to the therapist though. Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

Natley Wilson in Albuquerque, New Mexico

63 months ago

thank you guys for your input :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

meowner in Littleton, Colorado

63 months ago

Natley Wilson in Albuquerque, New Mexico said: I guess I am finally going to go to massage evny since they do seem to be hiring. Can someone that actually works there tell me something about it? Thank you.

Natley: I own two ME clinics and we just finished hiring six more therapists. I would have thought that the downturn in the economy would have affected our business adversely but that does not seem to be the case. It could be that clients who are used to paying dayspa prices are looking for a better price point, I don't know. One thing seems certain though, folks want their massage these days more than ever. While it is a good alternative to working at a clinic, spa or club it might be difficult to start a private practice today with this economy. Why don't you swing by the ME clinic there in Albuquerque and talk to some therapists as they leave their shifts. They'll give you the straight story. We have therapists working full time who are making $1,500 checks every two weeks if that is of interest to you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

MT n WA in Olympia, Washington

63 months ago

meowner in Littleton, Colorado said: We have therapists working full time who are making $1,500 checks every two weeks if that is of interest to you.

I don't see how that's possible. $750 a week at $15 an hour means the therapist would have to do 50 massages to make that much.

Is my math wrong?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mia in Portland, Oregon

63 months ago

Yeah...I dont see how someone can make $1500 every two weeks at ME. Unless that number includes tips.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

MT n WA in Olympia, Washington

63 months ago

We're still waiting for ANY of the owners of ME to tell us how it is possible for an LMT to make $1500 every two weeks at ME...anyone? Mr. Neher perhaps?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

meowner

63 months ago

MT n WA in Olympia, Washington said: We're still waiting for ANY of the owners of ME to tell us how it is possible for an LMT to make $1500 every two weeks at ME...anyone? Mr. Neher perhaps?

I have at lease 3 therapists that do. They work quite a bit but that is their choice. We hire therapists to fill scheduling needs but their schedule parameters have to match (when they don't it usually doesn't work out). Most therapists are working 20 - 25 shift hours per week. We're full most of the time so that translates to $1,000 - $1,200 every two weeks. That includes gratuities which are, of course, reportable.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Elbows Deep in San Diego, California

62 months ago

I work for one of few ME owners that pays somewhat decent. Yes, they are out there. But, again, very few. Currently, I take home $1500 before taxes and I ONLY work part time. No, that does not include my cash tips. Yes, it includes my credit card tips. No, I don't do happy endings. Yes, it STILL is lower than the average NCTMB certified LMT in my region. To make that much you have to find the right owner and put in your time. No, that does not mean you have to "blow" your owner either.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

meowner in Arvada, Colorado

61 months ago

lavender in Middletown, Connecticut said: Finding the Compensation System that is JUST RIGHT

By Skip Williams

Just as Goldilocks found porridge that was too hot and too cold and beds that were too soft and too hard, we must find a compensation system that is “just right” for our needs and objectives!

Whether you are a Provider or an Owner, the subject of “Compensation” always seems to be at the top of people’s lists of concerns, and everyone seems to have a different opinion. Is there a perfect system by which to remunerate Providers, insure Guest/Client satisfaction and leave a profit for Owners?

resourcesanddevelopment.com/JustRight.htm

Not sure but at Massage Envy the Therapist makes (on average) $25 - $30 per one hour massage (including gratuity) and the clinic owner makes about $5 per one hour massage (after payroll and overhead).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

lavender in Middletown, Connecticut

61 months ago

Is that your dream model?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

That model wouldn't work because the therapist is only getting paid to do the massage and nothing for the time they don't have an appointment.

The therapist would be better off making a bit less for each hour worked and being paid the same for the whole day.

Leaving less stress to whether you are going to get an appointment or not.

Less stress better massage for the client. Better massage for the client and everyone wins, including the person who invested the thousands upon thousands of dollars to create a place for that massage therapist or other service provider to work.

If an investor does not see a return for their money they may as well put it in a long term cd or other invesment with a greater return and no stress.

Notice the trend here?

Less stress = Live longer

A win, win for all involved.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Gray Neher in Castle Pines, Colorado

61 months ago

lavender in Middletown, Connecticut said: That model wouldn't work because the therapist is only getting paid to do the massage and nothing for the time they don't have an appointment.

The therapist would be better off making a bit less for each hour worked and being paid the same for the whole day.

Leaving less stress to whether you are going to get an appointment or not.

Less stress better massage for the client. Better massage for the client and everyone wins, including the person who invested the thousands upon thousands of dollars to create a place for that massage therapist or other service provider to work.

If an investor does not see a return for their money they may as well put it in a long term cd or other invesment with a greater return and no stress.

Notice the trend here?

Less stress = Live longer

A win, win for all involved.

Start your own massage clinic and you can do whatever you want.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Lalani Parker in San Diego, California

61 months ago

Gray Neher in Castle Pines, Colorado said: Start your own massage clinic and you can do whatever you want.

Yeah! Start your own clinic! Then you can work your therapists like the task master that you are, pay them little, offer no benefits, and spend your entire day showing what an a-hole you are on internet forums. Then laugh all the way to the bank! That's what this noob does.

Congratulations on YOUR success. A very hot place waits for you after this life.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

I already have!

That is why I know what I am talking about.

Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

Lalani Parker in San Diego, California said: Oops, my nastiness was directed toward Gray-hole Neher, not you, lavender...sorry it sounded like I was talking to you! He truly believes he's the only one on these forums who has his own clinic. Such arrogance.

Pretty nasty. I wasn't trying to be condescending - if working at Massge Envy doesn't work for you (and it doesn't for everyone) then start your own business or go into private practice. That works well for many. Besides, I don't believe it will be you who decides where I (or anyone else) reside after death.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Freke & Gandy in Portland, Oregon

60 months ago

Gray Neher in Castle Pines, Colorado said: Pretty nasty. I wasn't trying to be condescending - if working at Massge Envy doesn't work for you (and it doesn't for everyone) then start your own business or go into private practice. That works well for many. Besides, I don't believe it will be you who decides where I (or anyone else) reside after death.

What exactly do you DO as a 'ME owner' besides post on this forum?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

ANC in Cincinnati, Ohio

60 months ago

I'm a confused about how LMTs get paid at ME. I've read that they get approx $15 per massage OR $7 if they do not have an appointment. Then they average it to whichever is greater?

So, say you are at ME for 5 hours and have 3 massages that day, would the pay be around $59 then?

60 months ago

Freke & Gandy in Portland, Oregon said: What exactly do you DO as a 'ME owner' besides post on this forum?

Run two clinics and my other business

joe in Cincinnati, Ohio

51 months ago

Natley Wilson in Albuquerque, New Mexico said: Sorry I started a new theard it just seems the other one was too cluttered with politics. I graduated from massage school on Nov. I recieved the outstanding student award for my class, so I think I am pretty good. But I have not found a job yet! No one is hiring I had my first interview last week, I got the job she said the massage was excellent but they are real slow right now and I would probably only get 1 or 2 massages a day. That wont cover daycare. Anyway enough with the rambling. I just felt I had to explain myself with all the bashing that has gone on. I guess I am finally going to go to massage evny since they do seem to be hiring. Can someone that actually works there tell me something about it? Thank you.

Read the contract very carefully.I was going to take the job but there was some things in there that i wouldn't sign. The place i went to seemed very nice but the contract was full of restrictions.
where you could not go if you moved on.2 miles from any massage envy. that is Hugh if you end up not liking it. be careful what you sign.the place seemed nice and very busy though good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

HealingHands in Virginia Beach, Virginia

47 months ago

ANC in Cincinnati, Ohio said: I'm a confused about how LMTs get paid at ME. I've read that they get approx $15 per massage OR $7 if they do not have an appointment. Then they average it to whichever is greater?

So, say you are at ME for 5 hours and have 3 massages that day, would the pay be around $59 then?

More like $80 I'm guessing. The clinic I work at operates similarly. I ASSUME (I know nothing about "ME" specifically) that their LMT's receive a base pay of $7/hour with an addition $15/hour of massage. So for your scenario: (5 hours x $7)+(3 massages x $15) Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Lillaniece08@aol.com in Mountain View

42 months ago

I hate Massage Envy. Upset I even took the job offer. Im now 4 months employed by them as a Sales Associate and already looking for another job anxiously anticipating to quit! We get paid $8.50/hr. to play as MicroManagers and Supervisors. My boss is never at the job she depends on us to do everything every blue moon she comes once a week. Ive seen my boss twice since she's hired me. However $8.50 not worth it and the scheduling and hours are dumb. Me and a few other co-workers work 3-4 days a week and every two weeks on our pay checks were lucky to make $300 thats if we covered other peoples shift and sold a great amount of memberships, on average I make $206. Might as well work at Mcdonalds. Oh! Yeah they expect you to pitch people when its there first time coming in on the membership and you are suppose to stay on top of your numbers and be a pushy sales person because you can be terminated for "bringing the clinic down". Therapist complain about there pay and all they do is massage at our clinic. We sweep, mop, scrub toilets, vacuum, do laundry, deal with clients issues, anwser phones, make confirmation calls, filing, open & close register, pitch clients, have to be quick learners on the computer, wipe down windows and doors, stock & refill products/inventory, and have to do all of that with a smile on your face for $8.50 w/no benefits but a free hour massage a month..Oh! Don't forget deal with therapist issues and mishaps like there life is oh so hard... We have to take out there garbage and even clean THEIR dishes. Isn't everybody an adult though? Capable of doing this themselves? I have stopped being motivated to work here after the first month. Remember this post is for my particular clinic in the East Bay towards Sacramento so please therapist do not badger me, just saying what happens at my clinic yours may be different. With that said I DO NOT RECOMMEND YOU WORK AT MASSAGE ENVY AS A SALES ASSOCIATE.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

bdamned in Annapolis, Maryland

41 months ago

i completly agree with you 100%! i jsut recently quit there.When i worked there they wanted you to be on top of eveyrthing and its jsut not right. I was a sales associate myself and i was disrespected all the time, the ladies there were rude,sometimes nice when they wanted you to do their cleaning duties, but also very catty. You said osmething they didnt like it got back to the managers. I wouldnt recommend osmeone working at ME as a sales associate. it was too mcuh work for $9/hr and also on top on working full time and tyring to make time for your family.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

BettyInMaryland

41 months ago

MY EXPERIENCE WORKING AT MASSAGE ENVY
By a Maryland Massage Therapist

I received many letters from Massage Envy saying that they offered a supportive environment where professional massage therapists can focus entirely on making their clientele feel great. So I went to work at Massage Envy. I was there for 6 months. This is my experience:

Response to the bullet points in their letter:

Maryland license fee reimbursement – October 2010 came and we all paid our license fees. It is January 2011. No reimbursement.

On-going education and training – I took a course that cost $400.00 and was reimbursed $100.00

Pay rates: I was paid $18.00 for each massage that I did, Aromatherapy was $1.00 add on, Deep Heat Therapy was a $3.00 add on, Requests were a $3.00 add on, Prospects becoming members were a $5.00 add on.

Full and part-time work schedules: I worked 21 hours per week. We were booked on the hour (5 minutes for client to change in the room, 50 minutes hands on massage, 5 minutes for client to change back and room clean up).

Professional culture: Owner – Chiropractor, Administrators – enforcers, Sales Associates – Sell memberships and treatments, make and confirm appointments, clean massage rooms, bathrooms, and mini 2 chair-kitchen and laundry room. There was constant turnover except for the owner.

Benefits: Health insurance and retirement plans were never offered. They did offer 1 free massage a month which I did take advantage of.

Cleaning, Supplies and linens: In the 6 months I worked there, we ran out of sheets once in a while, face cradle covers a lot, massage cream twice and if you looked at the inside of the lid of the tub of cream it was dirty. I had to request gloves when I needed them and they were latex not vinyl. Tables, chairs and face cradles were not wiped down in the 6 months I was there. We had 2 bathrooms for employees and clients. In the 6 months I was there, a bathroom was out of order for several days at a time -

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Jacob in Mesa, Arizona

40 months ago

I am currently working at one of the top clinics in AZ. I personally love my job. Every clinic is different so you can't judge the entire company. I hear some stories about some Massage Envys, like being asked to work extra hours and stuff... our clinic doesnt do any of that. We make our own schedules for the most part, we are asked when we start how many massages we are willing to do and how many breaks we want, most people do 3 break 3... I do 4 hours BREAK 4 hours. It just depends how you like it. Yes you don't get paid if you are not booked. But I stay fully booked almost year around, I go down to 70%-100% in the slow season but its not a big deal. I have alot of regulars. I get paid about 16$ a massage and the average tip is 10$ this week most of my tips were around 20$. You get regular raises, I think most of my co-workers are around 18-20$ a massage. my pay checks are 1000$+ depending on how many credit card tips. There are ways to make bonuses on ur paycheck, like getting people to sign up. so that helps too. Our boss takes good care of us; pays for CEUs, has a flat screen tv in the break room, hydrolic tables, takes us out every month or so to comedy clubs and BBQs. I love my Co- workers... It is an awesome Job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Amy in San Diego, California

40 months ago

How difficult would it be to get a job with only 100 hours- a massage tech I guess it's called. I've been told some chiropractors might employ a massage tech but perhaps there are so many MT's looking for work that I wouldn't even be considered. Anyone??

indepedentMT in mokena, Illinois

39 months ago

I have been a LMT since 2008, I worked in places like what you guys mention, ME. Though it wasn't ME per se, but I felt like I had paid my dues working for other people with that type of spa. However, in the end I realize that making your own clinic pays much much better. You don't need to work as much and still making great money. Sure you don't have benefits, but by the time you get the income, it will be more than enough to pay for your own benefits. $1500/ 2 weeks in ME, that will be the slowest week when you have your own clinic. I am talking about only 7 clients in a week. The average I am making now is about $1000/ week working and I am talking about steady 15 hours per week. But there's a secret, and NO you don't need to do happy ending. I don't! I'm totally against happy ending! I'm talking about sharpening your talent. You need to know your strength in massage therapy. With my practice, my specialization is NMT and clinical massage with combination of body work. My clients know me for those treatments. You just need to offer great massage and create the need among the clients. Like pain management and so on. If you need to do CE to become better and to differ yourself from what others offer, by all mean, do so. Though it won't be an overnight thing, but having your own practice, the sky is the limit. Totally worthed! And trust me, the more you have positive feedback from others the more you build confidence for your practice and develop yourself as a individual massage therapist. One more thing, when I worked in a place like ME, I never had a chance to develop my own character as a massage therapist (if that makes sense for you) So I hope that's useful as comparison.

Bill in Denver, Colorado

39 months ago

Like all online threads, 99% of the people who take the time to post are the ones that are unhappy. So whether 99% of employees like working at ME or 99% don't like working at ME, the majority of the posts will be negative either way. So the typical pay is $30/hr ($15 pay + $15 tip). That is well above median salary in this country, even for college grads, and this is considered a get your foot in the door at no risk job.

In the end it's all supply and demand...ME charges clients what demand dictates and pays employees what demand dictates. Given their growth even in a tough economy, they are doing something right and both employees and clients in general are happy enough with cost/pay.

Personally I think it's hard to find a good massage therapist, but for the most part agree experience doesn't corelate to quality. Therapists are likely drawn to ME for lots of reasons (new to the industry, out of work, or longer term b/c they don't have the desire/mgmt skills/money/risk tolerance to start their own business).

Like every industry, it's easy to look at the success stories and assume that's the norm, but there wouldn't be success without failure and the risk is too high for some. That said anyone can do it with a little confidence, ingenuity and motivation. It's sort of like those (not me) who figured out the best girls would go out with you if you only asked. Luckily, most never figure this out, which is why success isn't that hard if you really go after it.

We've all seen the packed restaurants that go out of business, and ME has done a good job managing costs, which is often just as important as revenue.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

paige in Middletown, Connecticut

32 months ago

I am a recent massage tehrapy grad. I had the highest grades in my class, plus the highest grade in clinic. I am also a Reiki master, which I have been doing for many years, so bodywork is not new to me. Since graduating I have busted my butt networking, going to places that offer massage on a cold call, with just a smile and a resume, and even renting my own office 2 days per week. i have also become certified in pregnancy massage. I have been hired at every job I auditioned for. The problem is, that work is slow and i need to build up clientel before I can expect to make money. The city where my office is is 40 minutes from my home, so it's all new clients. I have been out networking with chiropractors, p/t's and OBGYN offices on a daily basis. I also advertise. I am started to get some good referrals, but not enough to keep my afloat just yet. I know that it will take a little bit of time. The point is, that while i don't love working at Massage envy 10 hourse per week and I think the pay is awful, I am booked when I am there so it's income i can count on. My tips are decent, so I am making about 3 dollars per 60 minute massage. They are flexible with my hours. I don't plan on staying hee forever, but in the beginning it's a nice way to make some money. I will say, however, that a lot of the therapists there are very unprofessional.I guess you will find that anywhere, though.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Massage4Wellness in Dallas, Texas

24 months ago

Wow. In a couple of years after when they are burned out they will not be seeing 1,500 dollar checks.

meowner in Littleton, Colorado said: Natley: I own two ME clinics and we just finished hiring six more therapists. I would have thought that the downturn in the economy would have affected our business adversely but that does not seem to be the case. It could be that clients who are used to paying dayspa prices are looking for a better price point, I don't know. One thing seems certain though, folks want their massage these days more than ever. While it is a good alternative to working at a clinic, spa or club it might be difficult to start a private practice today with this economy. Why don't you swing by the ME clinic there in Albuquerque and talk to some therapists as they leave their shifts. They'll give you the straight story. We have therapists working full time who are making $1,500 checks every two weeks if that is of interest to you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

ushers in Madison, Mississippi

16 months ago

I think every location has different bonuses, wages, incentives, etc.f

My location gives you $15 an hour base. If someone requests you it is an extra $1 to that. If they upgrade to anything above standard, you get an extra $2 to the base. If they get a membership after you work on them, it is an extra $5 to the base. At the end of the month, if 30% of your clients get memberships you get a $100 added to your paycheck.

I'd like to also suggest personal life changes that can make employment more enjoyable(applies with any job or location). I would suggest paying off any debt you have and cutting all credit cards. Do not finance anything(house is an exception though I personally will not borrow for one). Create a household budget, know where all your money is going.

So if you own your car and/or home with no payments, and have no debt, your job will be that much more enjoyable since you won't be so uptight about needing a set amount of money each month. After everything is paid off(exception to house) start your investing portfolio. Saving money every month into a mutual fund could net you a 2 million dollar or more retirement when your 65. Sorry I went off topic, I just think that a good financial plan in place is a must have for any job to work efficiently. If you have any more questions then please feel free to comment back and we can go from there. I hope this helps someone out there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Dianna in Saint Louis, Missouri

13 months ago

MassagePot.com pays WAY ,ore than massage envy... same type of set up, kinda like craigslist for massage only, they only tike out 10-35 dollars per appoiuntment and you can set your own price.... ill never work for massage envy again.. they rip off the hard working lmt's and its got to stop... those guys make me sick

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

diana in Saint Louis, Missouri

13 months ago

You guys should try out craigslist.com if you already havent, there therapuetic section works well for generating more clients.. i use the all the time

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

13 months ago

Lillaniece08@aol.com in Mountain View said: I hate Massage Envy. Upset I even took the job offer.

massagepot.com is much better... i left massage envy and started working out of my apratment through them..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

13 months ago

any other ideas guys?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.