Odd experience at Massage Envy -- Or am I wrong?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (9)

him8nc in Springfield, Missouri

26 months ago

I've had yet another questionable experience at Massage Envy. Here is what happened. Is this normal?

I went in for my first-ever 2-hour massage. I assumed the 2-hour massage would be the same techniques as 1-hour or 1.5-hour massage, but with more time spent on each area.

I was wrong.

I really think this woman ran out of moves and started making things up, because I have never experienced these techniques during a massage.

She began with my feet, which I had never experienced.

At one point, when I was face-down, she sort of stuck her thumb into my arm pit, left her fingers resting on the skin pointing toward my shoulder, arched her fingers almost like they were sitting on piano keys, and then started moving her hand like she was waving at someone, which ended up feeling like she was scratching the letter "C" into my skin.

She did the nail-scratching thing again on my legs.

I've never had a massage therapist scratch me before.

The really weird thing that she did was, when I was face-up and we were close to the end of the 2 hours, she put 1 hand on each side of my leg, rubbed straigt up toward my knee, then her hands separated with 1 hand going around the outside of the kneecap. Then she came back and made circles around the outer edge of the knee.

I was starting to feel like my kneecap was going to be popped like a giant zit.

Then, when I almost couldn't take it any longer, she started rubbing in circles going inward toward the middle of the kneecap and PUSHING on the kneecap.

I was ready to scream.

Is this normal?

Should I complain?

Last time I had a bad experience at Massage Envy I was totally honest when they sent their email survey, yet I never heard a word from anyone to find out more. That was when the massage therapist wouldn't stop talking and said things like, "You know, you should really have your thyroid checked." Um, I realize I'm overweight but it wasn't appropriate for her to say this.

Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

JJ in Portland, Oregon

26 months ago

The best thing to do is to talk with the manager after you get dressed. Tell them what happened and why you are not satisfied. They want to know and they should give you a credit of equal value for a future massage.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

G in Sanford, North Carolina

18 months ago

I am just wondering what you expect after a 2 Hr Massage? I think this is way to long for your body (as you experienced), and the Massage Therapist. 1 Hr is the Max to Relax the Body. Even longer Massages are offered, your Body will get to sensitive.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Laura in Alexandria, Virginia

18 months ago

Had you told the therapist you are having range of motion issues with your shoulder or shoulder pain? I work subscap through the arm pit and the serratus anterior just below that area. Though I tend to let clients know WHY I'm doing it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Leti in Miami Beach, Florida

18 months ago

G in Sanford, North Carolina said: I am just wondering what you expect after a 2 Hr Massage? I think this is way to long for your body (as you experienced), and the Massage Therapist. 1 Hr is the Max to Relax the Body. Even longer Massages are offered, your Body will get to sensitive.

- I don't think 2 hrs is too much at all. It's just enough for a good deep tissue. And some trigger point.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

AaronHett in Miami, Florida

18 months ago

A massage therapist must be very talented and qualified to pull off a quality two hour massage. Techniques must be sustained and precise throughout the session. The therapist must be able to maintain effective techniques throughout the entire massage, without losing stamina and focus. www.southmiamimassagetherapy.net/

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

L.M.T. in Coatesville, Pennsylvania

18 months ago

JJ in Portland, Oregon said: The best thing to do is to talk with the manager after you get dressed. Tell them what happened and why you are not satisfied. They want to know and they should give you a credit of equal value for a future massage.

NO,the best thing for you to do is communicate with your therapist that you are not responding positively to the techniques she is using and could she please change her approach. If she has adequate training she will have a significant skill set to approach and treat your soft tissues with the right modality to help make you comfortable. If that does not happen,please be aware: " Because of informed consent, clients have the right to know about and fully PARTICIPATE in their own care" (source Abmp).That being said, you may now see that it is a silly thing not to communicate with the therapist when receiving a massage session. The vast majority of us want to help, not hurt or cause a client to experience an abysmal time spent on the table. Bearing through a completed massage that was not approaching your unique physical needs and then getting dressed only to complain to a manager who most likely has no massage knowledge, is not why you went to receive massage, is it? To have the therapist give you their work for the completed amount of time, all the while your not verbally responding(either positively or negatively)is quite like you going to a restaurant, consuming the entire meal, and then getting up, going to the manager and saying how lousy the meal was, and expecting the bill to be waived.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

L.M.T. in Coatesville, Pennsylvania

18 months ago

AaronHett in Miami, Florida said: A massage therapist must be very talented and qualified to pull off a quality two hour massage. Techniques must be sustained and precise throughout the session. The therapist must be able to maintain effective techniques throughout the entire massage, without losing stamina and focus. www.southmiamimassagetherapy.net/

AMEN!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

SLong in Padre Island Ntl Seashor, Texas

12 months ago

Yes, next time please communicate with the therapist, about what you expect (just the usual but go slower and work longer on each area) and when something (anything) feels off or hurts. Sounds like she might have taken a short Thai massage class and to fill the 2 hrs tried to do some techniques from it, but didn't quite get it.

But also - you expected a good 2 hr massage from Massage Envy? in general they try to recruit people with little experience for low wages. New people probably 1) don't have the experience to fill a 2 hr massage in an extremely productive way 2) Might not be able to take care of themselves well enough to do a productive 2 hr massage. There are probably some great people at ME who are the exception to the rule, but if you just call up and get the next therapist I think you chances are not high.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.