Questions about state exam...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 81)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Dalila in Austin, Texas

78 months ago

I'm trying to get a license in Texas and I studied in California. But I have a lot of questions as to how I get my license. I'm getting so stressed out about it. Can anyone tell me what to expect when it comes to the test? Maybe were I can get sample questions. I just don't know how to study for this thing. I already got interviewed and would have gotten the job at a nice spa if I would of had my license so I really need to get this. If anyone has any insight please help me out!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Dawn in Lees Summit, Missouri

78 months ago

I can tell you that here in Missouri the exam time allotment is 3 hours. I was told to show my emptied pockets of my slacks and told I could not bring anything in to the exam room except for the pencil and paper they gave to me. If you need to go to the restroom you have to sign out when you leave and sign in when you come back.I studied 2 charts and whizzed through my exam. Hope the info helps in some way. Good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Kimberly G in Fort Worth, Texas

78 months ago

Hi Dalila! I am pretty much in the same boat as you. I studied in Charlottesville, Virginia. Now I am trying to take the test here for my license. I went under the Texas Department of State Health Services--www.dshs.state.tx.us

There I was told to go to Texasonline.com to sign up for the test. Actually to see if I qualified for it. The phone number is 514-834-6616. Call them and they'll tell you what you need to do. Now, as for what we are suppossed to study-I have no clue! I am using the books from my school, plus the Baron study guide and the josph ashton study guide. If you found any websites or study gudies please let me know and I too will let you know if I find any. Sorry if this wasn't much help. Good luck and let me know how you are doing! Bye, Kimberly

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Michelle in Allen, Texas

77 months ago

Kimberly G in Fort Worth, Texas said: Hi Dalila! I am pretty much in the same boat as you. I studied in Charlottesville, Virginia. Now I am trying to take the test here for my license. I went under the Texas Department of State Health Services--www.dshs.state.tx.us

There I was told to go to Texasonline.com to sign up for the test. Actually to see if I qualified for it. The phone number is 514-834-6616. Call them and they'll tell you what you need to do. Now, as for what we are suppossed to study-I have no clue! I am using the books from my school, plus the Baron study guide and the josph ashton study guide. If you found any websites or study gudies please let me know and I too will let you know if I find any. Sorry if this wasn't much help. Good luck and let me know how you are doing! Bye, Kimberly

hey kimberley check out this, www.massagereview.com, it is a website that has everything u need to know good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Michelle in Allen, Texas

77 months ago

hey kimberley check out this, www.massagereview.com, it is a website that has everything u need to know good luck!

Sharon Bevins in Miami, Florida

77 months ago

I,m trying to get my license in miami and i,m trying to decide the best way to go about studying for my state exam t
this will be my second time taking the exam what should I do? I am now using my Mosbys massage therapy review book that I recieved when I graduated in febuary of 2007.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

76 months ago

Ihave a book that I used that had questions that massage therapist all over sent in after they took their test. It is kinda detailed but really not that thick of a book. It reads pretty easily.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Julie in Redmond, Washington

76 months ago

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

76 months ago

Hey Everyone!
Thank you so much for your help!!! I will definately look into the websites ya'll posted. I got the paperwork back saying that I qualify to take the exam so I guess the next step is to set up a date to take it. Just please tell me that it's not as bad as I think it's going to be! lol Once again, THANK YOU!!! for your help!
Bye, Kimberly

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

EMILY YEAGER in Saint Louis, Missouri

75 months ago

I AM WILLING TO TRY ANY THING.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

EMILY YEAGER in Saint Louis, Missouri

75 months ago

Dawn in Lees Summit, Missouri said: Ihave a book that I used that had questions that massage therapist all over sent in after they took their test. It is kinda detailed but really not that thick of a book. It reads pretty easily.

IS THERE ANY WAY.I COULD GET A COPY OF THOSE QUESTIONS?MY E-MAIL IS NATURALSUN@MY SPACE.COM (314)226-9772 IT WOULD BE SO HELPFUL.THANK-YOU
EMILY

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

EMILY YEAGER in Saint Louis, Missouri said: CAN YOU HELP ME? I NEED HELP PASSING MY STATE EXAM.I SCORED 260PTS; AND HAVE TAKEN IT 3 TIMES. THE TIME BEFORE THAT I GOT 270PTS;.CAN YOU HELP ME? PLEASE
CALL ME AT (314)22-9772. OR E-MAIL ME AT NATURALSUN@MYSPACE.THANK-YOU
EMILY

I created a chart that I used that helped me pass my exam here in Kansas City I bought the info from a student that had taken an exellerated class in massage I paid $25 bucks for the info and then created my memory chart Its helped 4 people so far but you do need to be able to memorize the chart or it won't be worth anything to you. Let me know if you think it will help you.
Dawn in Lees Summit

anna in Jacksonville Beach, Florida

75 months ago

Dalila in Austin, Texas said: I'm trying to get a license in Texas and I studied in California. But I have a lot of questions as to how I get my license. I'm getting so stressed out about it. Can anyone tell me what to expect when it comes to the test? Maybe were I can get sample questions. I just don't know how to study for this thing. I already got interviewed and would have gotten the job at a nice spa if I would of had my license so I really need to get this. If anyone has any insight please help me out!!!

Dear friend I have the simile problem regard passing the state board exame. Some one told me to sign on internett for 3 month study for $100 and take as many test you can take, I will try. I too I'm very stessed over it, my lenguage is italian and I have hard time to understand the question. Keep trying that you will make good luck Anna

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

maria constanza vidales m in Bogotá, Colombia

73 months ago

thank you..please cant you help me? i need a bronce aerografh can you help me where i can buy one in New York...sun less 30 to 70 dollars

sharon in Miami, Florida

73 months ago

Hi, maria thanks for the message I would gladly help you in any way that I can except I don't know what a bronce aerografh is could you please explain it to me then maybe I can help you hope to hear from you soon.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Robin in Smyrna, Tennessee

71 months ago

Dawn in Lees Summit, Missouri said: I created a chart that I used that helped me pass my exam here in Kansas City I bought the info from a student that had taken an exellerated class in massage I paid $25 bucks for the info and then created my memory chart Its helped 4 people so far but you do need to be able to memorize the chart or it won't be worth anything to you. Let me know if you think it will help you.
Dawn in Lees Summit

I have taken the exam once and rec.a 298 I didn't pass by 2 points I didn't go back and take it, it has been about 3 years and I have decided to go and retake the test. Could you please help me out with this memory chart that you were talking about! That would be wonderful, I have been out of school since 2003 and really would like to get back into massage therapy,
my e-mail address is beckham5562@comcast.net.

Thank you so much.
Robin

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

joe in Charleston, West Virginia

70 months ago

Feel free to mention the name of the book or how to get it if you really want to be helpful.

70 months ago

I used : Questions & Answers For Passing State and National Theraputic Massage Examinations and the 2nd book (comes in a set) MORE Questions & Answers For Passing State & National Theraputic Massage Examinations. By Michelle Phillips. I believe the set cost $80 HOWEVER they have a PASS OR YOUR MONEY BACK GUARANTEED! The people I know who didn't pass DID get their money back. You can order this or more things to help at massagereviews.com I also went online to massagenerd.com This is free and there's no signing up. Just go on there and take TONS of tests (With answers provided at the end) over muscles, muscle testing, bones, skin, blood, Asian med., Charkras, massage tech. Body systems, heart, EVERYTHING! Check it out! I used that website and those books. That is what helped me pass the Nationals. I know some friends of mine said the study guide by Joseph Ashton- Review For The Theraputic Massage and Bodywork Certification helped them pass but I personally didn't like it to much. You might though. I hope this was some help to you. I wish you great luck! FYI: Pay attention to some of the questions on the test itself because sometimes it has the answer/or a very good hint inside the question itself! Also, I notice on my test, some of the same questions were asked but just reworded differentally. Take care, Kimberly

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Lindsey in Houston, Texas

70 months ago

I went to the web site that was posed above and I have those same two books, I took the national exam in Fl, and missed it by 2 points I thought the book had alot of really great questions however the national test in my opinion had way harder questions on it... I now moved to Houston and have to take there state exam Im hoping that those books well be good enough??? I spoke with a teacher at the texas school of massage and he said that the state exam for tx is alot easy then the national exam and i also had 350 more hours of schooling in FL. If anyone knows any website that has example questions please let me no!!! Thank you and good luck everone!

Stacie in Fort Worth, Texas

70 months ago

I'm in a similar situation. I've had over 750 hrs of school already passed the Ohio State Board Exam, and received my license. Now I'm living in Fort Worth area and I need to retake the Texas exam. I've already applied and received the letter to sit for the exam.......but I don't know what to study. Ohio uses Kellogg and Beck for Massage. Nobody seems to know who Kellogg is. Can someone who has taken the Texas exam or that has attended a Texas school please let me know which books I need to reveiw.
Thank U much!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Deidre Chancey in Fort Worth, Texas

70 months ago

Stacie in Fort Worth, Texas said: I'm in a similar situation. I've had over 750 hrs of school already passed the Ohio State Board Exam, and received my license. Now I'm living in Fort Worth area and I need to retake the Texas exam. I've already applied and received the letter to sit for the exam.......but I don't know what to study. Ohio uses Kellogg and Beck for Massage. Nobody seems to know who Kellogg is. Can someone who has taken the Texas exam or that has attended a Texas school please let me know which books I need to reveiw.
Thank U much!

Hi Stacie,
Okay, I just finished taking the exam on 9/24. It is really hard to say what to study because I purchased a study guide and only found it to be a little bit helpful. The questions were very basic and a lot simpler than I thought. Either that or I did some really good guessing. Believe me I studied for a really long time. make sure to study your muscle man, study the joint man, there were quite a few questions about contraindications, very few about hygiene & business practices, some questions about draping, ethics, hydrotherapy. I remember one question being how much can an MT be fined? I guessed on that one. Per Henrik Ling was on there but I don't remember the specific question but that is what I answered. There was no Kinesiology, no Eastern Modalities. I am having a hard time remember the exact questions. Remember the types of strokes and what they are used for. I will try to think of more and let you know.

Deidre

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

Thanks for your input.
Did you find out right away if you passed or do they make you wait?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Deidre Chancey in Euless, Texas

70 months ago

Yes, they did inform me within minutes of taking the exam. Then it takes about 15 business days to receive your actual license. Be prepared because you will have to take your own picture and you will have a practice exam to make sure you know how to mark your answers. I am sorry I cannot think of any of the questions. When are you scheduled to take the exam? If we have time i will go thru my books and see if that will get my memory going. I don't usually have trouble recalling test questions but in this instance my brain just went dead. Watch your email because as things come to mind I will let you know. I will be praying for you.

Deidre

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

I just got my license as a MT here in Ft. Worth TX and now I am in need of liability insurance. Also looking for a job if anybody has any openings. RIght now my training is in Swedish Massage but I am looking to specialize in Deep Tissue, Clinical Massage and Reflexology. Can anyone tell me where to call.
HELP!!

70 months ago

I know that DeJaVu European Day Spa is hiring. They keep calling me ( Appaerentally once you recieve your license, your name and phone number goes on a list so MTs can call you) and I had to turn down the offer because I am 6 months pregnant (they prefer nonprego people). I can not tell you if this is a great place to work or not because the only thing I know about them is what I've seen on their web site. DeJaVuspa.com and their phone phone number is listed on it. Like you, I live in Fort Worth also and I don't know exactly how far you want to drive to work because they are located on Bedford-Euless Rd. in North Richland Hills. I also keep seeing a sign at the Spa at Hulen Mall (upper Level) They are also needing to hire a MT. It's a hair/nail/massage place. That too can be an option for you depending on where you live. I hope this helps you. I will keep my eyes and ears open and let you know what eles I find. Good Luck! And congratulations!!!

Deidre Chancey in Euless, Texas

70 months ago

Kimberly,

Thank you very much. I will check out both places. I live in N. Fort Worth off of Beach & Western Center. So either of these place will probably be just fine. Thanks again. And good luck on your pregnancy. have a Blessed Day.

Deidre

Eden in Boerne, Texas

69 months ago

I need help too! I've already taken the classes, but haven't attempted the test! I was wondering if I could get a copy of this chart? I think it would help me out alot!!! My email address is:
edenhig@yahoo.com any information about the Texas state exam would be helpful. I'm scared to take it. :(

Dawn in Lees Summit, Missouri said: I created a chart that I used that helped me pass my exam here in Kansas City I bought the info from a student that had taken an exellerated class in massage I paid $25 bucks for the info and then created my memory chart Its helped 4 people so far but you do need to be able to memorize the chart or it won't be worth anything to you. Let me know if you think it will help you.
Dawn in Lees Summit

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

Chart?? If you don't know your muscles, strokes and techniques why are you taking the exam?? This stuff you should know. You need to study, study, study and review, review, review. Your going to be working on people that are counting on you knowing what you are doing, not that you memorized some chart. Sorry I don't mean to be harsh, but you know it because it's a passion... not a chart.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Eden in Boerne, Texas

69 months ago

Excuse me? You don't even know me... there is no need to be rude! Someone on here said they had a chart they used as a study aid, I am studying. I do know my bones, strokes, techniques, business practices, etc. (In fact I had the highest reviews in my class of 40+ students) However, I am having a little trouble remembering all the names of the muscles, it doesn't mean I don't know what I'm doing, or that I don't how to help the client. I just simply want another study aid to help me with this, so I can be the best therapist I can be. You are right about it being a passion, however I seriously doubt that you knew all the names of the muscles, when you started, just because you had a passion for massage. By the way, good therapists, should not only have a passion for what they do, they should also be caring and considerate individuals. Two qualities you seem to be lacking. :)

Stacie in Fort Worth, Texas said: Chart?? If you don't know your muscles, strokes and techniques why are you taking the exam?? This stuff you should know. You need to study, study, study and review, review, review. Your going to be working on people that are counting on you knowing what you are doing, not that you memorized some chart. Sorry I don't mean to be harsh, but you know it because it's a passion... not a chart.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

Deidre Chancey in Euless, Texas said: Kimberly,

Thank you very much. I will check out both places. I live in N. Fort Worth off of Beach & Western Center. So either of these place will probably be just fine. Thanks again. And good luck on your pregnancy. have a Blessed Day.

Deidre

Hey Deidre! Did you get a chance to check out DeJaVu Spa? I hope it wasn't a waste of your time. If it was I am truly sorry!!! Like I said before, I don't really know anything about them but, they sounded nice. Anyway, just wanted to say HI! and to see how you are doing. Take care. Happy Halloween! Kimberly

69 months ago

Hi Eden! Our school gave us the Anatomy Coloring Book to help us with muscles. As silly as it seemed to be coloring muscles, it really helped us. Muscles are hard! I also noticed that through out this massage forums, a lot of people came up with fun "songs, and poems" to help them remember all the muscles. Also, check out massagenerd.com It's FREE, you don't have to sign up or anything. There are all kinds of tests on there from muscles, bones, ROM, Ayurveda, Bone/muscle disease, massage tech, and so much more. TONS of questions! Check it out! Just remember, A LOT of "Passionate people" have trouble with muscles. Hope this helped a little! Good Luck!!!! Kimberly

Eden in Boerne, Texas

69 months ago

Thanks! I appriciate it! I will definitly take a look at that website! :)

69 months ago

You're welcome!! Good Luck!!!
Have a great weekend! Kimberly

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

Hi Kimberly,

As a matter of fact I did go to Deja Vu and got the job. I liked working there but did not click with the manager. I won't say anything bad because I don't want to discourage anyone. It may be different for others. but thanks for the info and most of all thanks for keeping in touch. I am looking for another job as we speak. I was considering going to Massage Envy. They seem to be alwasy hiring. Have you heard or do you know anybody that has worked for them? Please stay in touch. Have a Wonderful Weekend.

Deidre

69 months ago

Yes, when I went to school we had to use the anatomy coloring book and it really helped me. But I took the test for the state of Texas and I only had to name like 5 muscles. And as for the massagenerd website. I ran across it last week and it truly does have lots of great information. by the time I finished printing it all I had like 2 big binders full of stuff. I did not see any of the test questions though. But I may not have search long enough. I will definitely go back and look today.

Deidre

sharon bevins in Miami, Florida

69 months ago

thanks kimberly you were very helpful I need all the help I can get so thanks again and I really appreciate it.

69 months ago

I'm sorry that didn't work out. I hear stuff like that all the time about how someone loves the place and/or clients they work with, however, they didn't like the boss or the way things were handled at the work place or vice versa. Massage Envy, I think is in Arlington. I would see if there was a website. If I am not mistaken, I think a lot of massage Practictioners and Therapists have talked about that place through out the massage forum. To me it seems like a "love-hate" type of place. Someone loved working there because of the hours, pay, clients, ect. Then there are the ones who swear that that is the worst place to work because of the long hours, not enough pay, a lot of disrespect and/or abuse from other coworkers. You have to do massage "THEIR WAY", not how you like/learned how to do it. I don't know honey, I am just reading other people's posts through out the forum and as you know, everyone is entitled to their own experience and opinion. You may get a job there and love it- I really hope so! I will keep looking around here and give you a heads up on anything I find. I'll talk to you later. Bye! Happy Halloween! Kimberly

angela in Killeen, Texas

68 months ago

I finished school in May, How much time do I have to take my state test

68 months ago

If I remember right, I think once you apply for the test, you will then have up to a year to take it. It's been 7 months since I took it so, let me see if I can find the paperwork and tell you exactly how long you have. Talk to you soon. Bye! Kim

68 months ago

Deidre Chancey in Fort Worth, Texas said: Hi Kimberly,

As a matter of fact I did go to Deja Vu and got the job. I liked working there but did not click with the manager. I won't say anything bad because I don't want to discourage anyone. It may be different for others. but thanks for the info and most of all thanks for keeping in touch. I am looking for another job as we speak. I was considering going to Massage Envy. They seem to be alwasy hiring. Have you heard or do you know anybody that has worked for them? Please stay in touch. Have a Wonderful Weekend.

Deidre

Hey! I just wanted to ask a quick question. Once you finish school, do you remember how long you have to take the State Test? Someone from this forum asked me and I don't remember. I believe that once you signed up for it, you then had a year to take it. I am trying to find my paper work so I can let her know. Do you remember? Thank you! Oh, how's job hunting going? Any luck? I am still keeping my eyes open for you. Bye! Kim

angela in Killeen, Texas

68 months ago

Thanks Kim. I have not registered for the test. I finished school in May of '07 and I'm not ready to test, I'm looking for stufy guides I can use online. I want to be ready to test when I register. Any advice is welcome. Thanks again

68 months ago

I am still trying to find the info for you. If you want something online to use as a study guide, go to massagenerd.com It's free and there are all these tests on there that covers muscles, asian meds, ROM, charakas, massage tech, bones, organs, body systems, ect. I used it and a lot of other people on this forum used it too. Also, check out the other stuff people on this forum recommends. There's different "songs/poems" that they wrote to help them remember muscle groups. I found this forum to be a great help. I'll talk to you soon. Kim

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Deidre Chancey in Dallas, Texas

68 months ago

Yes, after you apply for the exam they will send a qualification letter then you have a year after that to take the exam.

anybody know of anywhere that does booth rentals for massage therapy here in the N. Fort Worth area.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

angela in Killeen, Texas

68 months ago

Kimberly G in Fort Worth, Texas said: I am still trying to find the info for you. If you want something online to use as a study guide, go to massagenerd.com It's free and there are all these tests on there that covers muscles, asian meds, ROM, charakas, massage tech, bones, organs, body systems, ect. I used it and a lot of other people on this forum used it too. Also, check out the other stuff people on this forum recommends. There's different "songs/poems" that they wrote to help them remember muscle groups. I found this forum to be a great help. I'll talk to you soon. Kim

Kim, Thanks so much. The massagenerd website you gave me is great!!I started studying this weekend just from the material I got from there. Thanks so much, wish me luck and stay in touch.
Angela

Kim in Fitchburg, Massachusetts

68 months ago

Kimberly G in Fort Worth, Texas said: If I remember right, I think once you apply for the test, you will then have up to a year to take it. It's been 7 months since I took it so, let me see if I can find the paperwork and tell you exactly how long you have. Talk to you soon. Bye! Kim

I believe you have three months to take the exam, after registering.

aaron in Los Angeles, California

68 months ago

Can anyone please answer me this question if anybody knows thank you. my question is by just studying from massagenerd.com will i pass the ncbtmb test??? or ill also need to study something else???

anima1055 in Atlantic Beach, Florida

68 months ago

Hi my friend, massagenerd.com it will give you an idea of what we have to study but in my view the realy test it is different the questions are wrote in different point of view. I'm having a problem to read I'm italian speaking and I get the mascule very well latin linguage but it is the sentance it confuse me. I would advice study study and study, good luck Anna

DWroble in Marietta, Georgia

66 months ago

I am studying for the MBLEx, I have just found the massagenerd.com site and all the questions. I have yet to meet anyone who have taken this test. So, has anyone taken this test and has any tips that will help me? I really need to pass this test the first time. I have been working my own massage business for years in California, but now I need to start working here in Georgia.

If you can help, please let me know.

I

Jen Young in Saint Marys, Ohio

66 months ago

Has anyone taken the Dec. Ohio State Boards? If you have can you give some pointers? I will be taking them in June. Thanks!

Jamie in Leesburg, Virginia

65 months ago

Does anyone have any brain dumps on the test? My husband takes certification tests for his business all the time and relies heavily on them. The way it works is each person that takes a test comes to this site and puts a few of the questions they had on the exam. Sort of a buddy system.

Anyone know of any brain dump sites for this test?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.