cruise ship jobs

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (251 to 300 of 1892)
Page:  « First « Previous   3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next »   Last »

dizzyD in Huntington Beach, California

85 months ago

Hey Curious. I'm driving to Vegas, if you want to go together let me know. email me: onecrazymoon@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Curious in Los Angeles, California

85 months ago

Hi dizzyD...will be staying out there for a couple days after. But thanks for the offer!

cburke777@*****.*** in Lake Forest, California

85 months ago

I am working on the Sapphire Princess as a massage therapist, and as a receptionist, you will be earning next to nothing. However, people do this role, to see the world, not for the money. It is obviously not for you by the sound of it.

darwinh in Chester, United Kingdom

85 months ago

Maicelest in Málaga, Spain said: Hi! At my interview they said that each person gets to keep their own tips, they're not shared. Also, that we got 1 and a half days off, the day off being rotational and always in a different location.

I'm also worried about the pay, I was told you have to manage everyone's agenda and sell all the spa services but you will only get paid for the water treatments, ie-hamman, jacuzzi..... Seems a bit silly to sell everyone elses stuff and do all that work for free but oh well. Specially if you are put on a small ship that had very few facilities.

Anyone else know how much receptionists can expect to earn??

Thanks everyone xx

Hi,

An advantage of working on a cruise ship is that you are paid in cash and depending on what you are doing on the ship as part of your job you can return home at the end of a contract with quite a fair bit of money in your pocket.

The advantages of being part of the crew is for the most part, you get free travel and get to go to some of the most exotic locations in the world and get paid for it.

M in Tacoma, Washington

85 months ago

Hello all,
I am also attending the Las Vegas interviews on October 2nd for the Beauty Therapist position. Could anyone give me an idea of what to expect for the theory exam? Also,what are the Steiner standards for a mini-facial?
Thanks for the help- this forum has been very helpful!

Hans in Germany

85 months ago

Thanx for the info

mags in Dublin, Ireland

85 months ago

Chantal in Cape Canaveral, Florida said: i am currently on a ship now working for steiner as a beauty therapist. do not believe anything on here.. i mean some things are real but then again alot of it doesnt apply to every single ship. there are bad things and good things with any job whether it b on land or at sea. to b honest i hated life on the ship for my first 2 weeks. ive been on here for 6 weeks now and absolutly love it! yes i hav to go out and promote try to get my own clients in but it has been so good for my confidence. i was so scared when i first started to go up to someone and ask them if they would like a treatment, now i find it so easy to do. plus! it is the best experience u can get! i mean ur travelling the world whilst getting paid. ur friends are ur work mates, ur roommates and ur family. u become so close. if u like to party u will love ships too. crew partys happen every week or twice a week. have been saving heaps of money too! the first few months are stressful i believe.. but u get used to it and it becomes ur life.

I say do it and see how it is for u. so many people are different so it doesnt mean ur experience is going to be the same as theirs.

heya thank you so much for leaving that comment, im starting in the academy in november and was getting so stressed thinking i wouldnt save anything and would be tortured.haha.
i hope everything continues well for you.xx

Ross in London, United Kingdom

85 months ago

There's lots of info and possible vacancies, if you're still interested, on the Seabourn site over at www.seabourncareers.com

For a good insight into what it's like to work on a cruise ship, you should check out the blog www.tealfrost.com/. It's about the experiences of a woman who has really enjoyed herself working on a cruise ship.

Usually, the perks are that you visit all the places the ship docks to abroad and you have so many months working and then so many months off on holiday, making it a lot more desirable for people not so fond of the 9-5.

zinia in Brisbane, Australia

85 months ago

rubmstr in Columbus, Ohio said: Has anyone done Massage Therapy on a cruise ship? Is it hard to get a job? Do they work you to death? Are they good to work for?

hi, can I apply as a massage therapist?

85 months ago

Hi.... Any one can employ me as massage therapist? I love working with people and most especially I love doing massage to people.

markonja in Melbourne, Australia

85 months ago

When you find out, please do let me know too/forward it; would be more than grateful

Marko

85 months ago

thank you for the reply. Im here in Australia as an international student of Diploma of Remedial Massage Therapy and I already finished my Certificate IV in Massage Therapy. At the moment I am looking for a company that can give me a contract to prolong my stay here in Australia to practice my degree. If any one can help me before my visa expires that would be a great opportunity. I really love doing massage to people and working with different races.

Thank you very much

Sincerely Yours,
Zinia

Nicole in London, United Kingdom

85 months ago

mags in Dublin, Ireland said: heya thank you so much for leaving that comment, im starting in the academy in november and was getting so stressed thinking i wouldnt save anything and would be tortured.haha.
i hope everything continues well for you.xx

Hey mags, wen are you starting your training? im starting the 23rd, im so nervous lol!! xxxx

Sally in West Palm Beach, Florida

85 months ago

rubmstr in Columbus, Ohio said: Thanks for the great info Evan. I thought I had read that there were places that did the hiring for cruise ships.I didn't see a listing for jobs on cruise ships specifically on the website you listed. You didn't work when they were in port did you? I also didn't understand what you meant by "you can save twelve grants"Do you get many breaks?

Most cruise ship spa jobs are only available thru a company called
Steiner. They are contracted through the cruise companys to run the Spas & gyms on almost all ships. They are based out of the UK and actually have opened or taken over some MT schools. I worked with someone who did a contract with them (8 months) and hated it.
She said that she did about 10 massages a day and had a very rigirous sales quota to fill. As most massage therapist are not
sales people, she did not like it. She told me that she had to
travel to the UK to train in their methods of massage, selling and
other body treatments for about 2 weeks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

85 months ago

yellowrage17 in Malvern, Pennsylvania said: To all who have interviewed with Steiner:
When you guys went to the interview was everyone dressed in a suit or was business casual (Smartly dressed)? I am going for massage therapy and was wondering how the written exam was.

Dear Yellow-
Remember that regardless of what others are doing, you are
selling yourself. There is an extensive test on basic things, ie
if a client has a siezure, as well as ? regarding how you would
handle certain situations regarding running a business. They want
to see if you can sell and if you are motivated to promote yourself. You will have to do a practical and may need a table if your interview is not at a school. They will want to see your techniques, especially if you can use other parts other than hands.This is to see how long you can last or how many treatments you can actually do in a day!!

85 months ago

Chantal in Cape Canaveral, Florida said: i am currently on a ship now working for steiner as a beauty therapist. do not believe anything on here.. i mean some things are real but then again alot of it doesnt apply to every single ship. there are bad things and good things with any job whether it b on land or at sea. to b honest i hated life on the ship for my first 2 weeks. ive been on here for 6 weeks now and absolutly love it! yes i hav to go out and promote try to get my own clients in but it has been so good for my confidence. i was so scared when i first started to go up to someone and ask them if they would like a treatment, now i find it so easy to do. plus! it is the best experience u can get! i mean ur travelling the world whilst getting paid. ur friends are ur work mates, ur roommates and ur family. u become so close. if u like to party u will love ships too. crew partys happen every week or twice a week. have been saving heaps of money too! the first few months are stressful i believe.. but u get used to it and it becomes ur life.

I say do it and see how it is for u. so many people are different so it doesnt mean ur experience is going to be the same as theirs.

Thanks Chantal....its good to hear input from the inside!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

srwoods in Antioch, Tennessee

85 months ago

Carly in Crofton, Maryland said: To Christine
You must be attending the Baltimore School of Massage. I am about to graduate from there, and let me tell you the admissions officers have lied to you. Steiner Group owns 90% of the spa industry on cruiselines. They have a monopoly and they push their students into working on the ships right out of school because they don't know any better. It's slave labor. Once you're on that ship they own you. You are cut off from family and friends and they make you work 12-14 hour days. A normal day for a massage therapist is 4-5 sessions. You would be doing 10-12. You'd do much better to find a day spa in Baltimore, Annapolis, or DC and maintain your freedom. I realize that you're just starting school and that you're still idealistic and excited for the future, but please research all that is out there! You are about to be exposed to so much, please don't let Steiner blind you from other opportunities.

It's not slave labor...as you are free to leave anytime(yes you would have to pay for your ticket back- but no one is there threatening to kill you if you leave). The hours are long, and work is hard...but theses are choices that we all have the freedom to make for ourselves. Please don't compare this to slave labor- because in all honesty it pales in comparison!

srwoods in Antioch, Tennessee

85 months ago

gooffy in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania said: I AM THE HARDEST WORKER AROUND> it had nothing to do with the experience. If you are younger like to drink don't mind people having sex in the bed next to you then you'll do fine. All the selling and hard work was a big part of the job but not the problem for me. It was the ship life itself. So no worries about your choice just be prepared for the unexpected.
Yes, I am sure the ship matters a great deal. Keep thinking about the great money you WILL make. GOODLUCK!

What ship did you work for? All you seem to talk about of ship life is drunk people and people having sex. Somehow it is hard to believe that all there is to ship life is what you have described! I know it is an element...but I know there are other elements as well. Maybe you can broaden your perspective and offer a little more info. Just a thought!

jogana in Chicalim, India

85 months ago

yes its the truth
[url=”merchant-navy-jobs.blogspot.com”]cruise ship jobs[/url]

jogana in Chicalim, India

85 months ago

Katie in West Palm Beach, Florida

84 months ago

monbal954@aol.com in Pompano Beach, Florida said: what cruise line does steiner company owns? also are they any of the top ones like the princess, carribean, or carnival?

Steiner Leisure does not own any ships, they are contracted with the cruise lines to run & staff the spas on board the ships. Go to their website to see which lines they work with. www.steinerleisure.com. Just as a FYI here is a post from someone a few months back.... I worked as a beauty therapist for stiener. at first i was very excited to go to my training in london, england. when you get there, they put you up in the ymca, which houses not only steiners, but drug addicts, youth offenders, etc. it was a bit of a shock for me when i got to the academy. most, but no all of the trainers are full of themselves becasue they are so proud to have gotten to their cheesy position. their are very straight, and by that i mean if that don't like your hair or make up they'll tell you to your face and infront of everyone. they were actually pretty rude, and unprofessional. if you had asked them a question or challeged them their response would be, "why aren't you wearing enough make up?"
from the beginning they teach you how to sell, HARDCORE SELLING. you have to memorize a huge list of products. if i had known earlier that it was all about selling, then i probably wouldn't have joined. myself and others were stuck in a position. we had paid all that money to join steiner and it would be too late to go back now! i especially felt sorry for the people that came all the way from places like south africa and australia...when they realize whats really going on, they up and leave!
when you get on your ship, depending on your ship and your manager, it could be a good or a HORRIBLE experience. managers are absolutly crazy! they yell at you, make you feel horrible, embarress you in front of your team, make you read out your

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

mary in Chattanooga, Tennessee

84 months ago

commission on a massage is 7.25 % + tips on all services and you have to pay $35 before you can start earning commission (~$130) ..... you will work min 12 hours with hour break for lunch and 15min between services.. the max hours of work is 14 hours a day.. you have 3 half days off a week.... you do have ship privilege so you have some time to drink and relax i guess...Remember to sell yourself and make steiner loads of money

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

mary in Chattanooga, Tennessee

84 months ago

Suwanna in Las Vegas, Nevada said: I still didn't get the right answer.Did they need any license or I need to pass natinal exsam or only certified from school or what not?

you need your license when you go to london.. it's not necessary to have it at the interview....remember to save some at $3000 when departing for london

bb in Spain

84 months ago

You don't actually "pay" this amount, this is the sum you have to earn before you get commission - so you lose your 7.5% on this 35 dollars. In fact, it is 245 per week, as you have to earn the money for your days off!

As far as money in London is concerned, you'll need money to get to the YMCA, then the academy daily, and lunches.When you have finished the course, you pay your transport to the airport (there is a good bus service) and one night in a hotel at the port city.If you haven't paid for it before, you'll need to pay the fee to Steiner and the medical. You will be told about this at the interview. For my daughter, they said she should take about 1,000 sterling to cover all this, but she managed to spend quite a bit more!

If you enjoy a social life and eating out, then you will need a lot more. I would suggest having a VISA card rather than take cash.

84 months ago

Curious in Los Angeles, California said: Going to Vegas for interview--approx. how many other candidates/ applicants are there with you?

Remember that Steiner recruits worlwide, so its not just the
people standing in the room with you, you are compeating against.
The interviews are screaning processes, and the interviewer's
perception is imprtant, but they are not the decision makers.
All your documents,test,resume,picture, etc is sent to the main office in the UK and they decide. Try your best to have eerything they ask for,as it will be difficult to get anything else to catch up with your original docs! Best of luck to you!

Joyce DeWitt in Small Town

84 months ago

Has anyone from the Vegas interview heard back?

Maren in Lynden, Washington

84 months ago

I was just about to post the same question :) I still haven't heard back...I am getting rather anxious! Please let me know if you hear anything :)

yellowrage17 in Norristown, Pennsylvania

84 months ago

I just heard back from Steiner and I was at the Orlando interview on Sept. 28 which was a few days before the vegas interview. So you should hear back by next week at the latest.

84 months ago

Thank you, yellowrage17! Was getting nervous :-)

JP in Sarasota, Florida

84 months ago

yellow rage- did you get the job?!?! Do you know when you go to London if so??

cathy in Long Beach, California

84 months ago

I am eight months into my contract with Steiner as a massage therapist. It has been the best experience of my life. You get good and bad people on land, it is no different at sea. If you are after an adventure, willing to work hard, and keep a great attitude, you too will have an amazing contract. GO FOR IT !!! CATHY

cathy in Long Beach, California

84 months ago

Maicelest in Málaga, Spain said: Hi! At my interview they said that each person gets to keep their own tips, they're not shared. Also, that we got 1 and a half days off, the day off being rotational and always in a different location.

I'm also worried about the pay, I was told you have to manage everyone's agenda and sell all the spa services but you will only get paid for the water treatments, ie-hamman, jacuzzi..... Seems a bit silly to sell everyone elses stuff and do all that work for free but oh well. Specially if you are put on a small ship that had very few facilities.

Anyone else know how much receptionists can expect to earn??

Thanks everyone xx

IF YOU ARE WANTING GOOD MONEY, YOU ARE DOING IT FOR THE WRONG REASONS. YOU WILL BE LUCKY TO EARN $150 us PER WEEK.

84 months ago

I'm assuming that you mean for a receptionist, NOT a massage therapist for the $150 a week. right?

aprillove in Cagayan De Oro

84 months ago

i never worked on a cruise ship. i have no idea about it..

Tamika S. in Joppa, Maryland

84 months ago

to the person who went to orlando for the interview did u get the job?

84 months ago

yes I did get the job and I am not quite sure when I go to london. I believe Jenny Millar said the next training is in January. But not sure.

84 months ago

For those who are beauty therapist with Steiner, do you do both facials, waxing, and body treatments? How is the work in comparision to massage therapist? thanks!

chriskimm in Las Vegas, Nevada

84 months ago

hi i am going to graduate from one of stieners schools i have alot of questions, how long is the training in london? and what are the ymca place like and what are the chances of me getting to work on a australian cruise line i know you cant choose but just wondering what are the chances and in a 9 month contract how much is the average you will come out of the ship making or how much do you make average in a week

Jamie in Suffolk, Va in Waldorf, Maryland

84 months ago

Jo in Toronto, Ontario said: I just finished massage therapy school and I want to work on a cruise boat. I heard that Princess crusieline is the best for pay and the way they treat you, is this true? and is it easy to negotiate with the company in regards to the hours you work? Is it true that you have to share your bed with other workers during your time working and their time off? What are the perks to working on a cruise line?
What is the best time of the year to look for a job on one?

I've been a Massage Therapist since april of 07. I am a 25 year old white female and I work at a trendy upscale Salon and Spa called Bombshells about 10 minetes outside of Norfolk, Va. When you work for a spa you have to build your own clientele, meaning you have to make people not only fall in love with the skills and techniques you've learned, but also make them fall in love with you as a person. I work only on commission so the first couple of years were ruff, but every year you work, your clientele gets bigger, as does the money you make. I'm lucky because I don't have to sell retail and I also do manicures, pedicures, facial, bodywraps, sugarscrubs, and waxing, which is a nice break from giving massages.If I was giving massages all day, I'd loose my mind...Its very ruff on the body..You have to be in good shape mentally and physically..and to be completley honest the more attractive therapist will make triple what an average looking massage therapist will make..I make 60 percent of all my services which is insane because most therapist only make 20-40 percent per massage...Before taxes last year I made 25,000 plus 5,000 for credit card tips that were taxed..and I made an additional 550 a month in cash tips that are not taxed. Every year my income goes up about 2 grand. Mind you, It took me 3 years to be where I am...If you want to be a successful Massage Therapist you have to be patient and stable..and it doesnt hurt to be beautiful ;)...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

chels in Perth, Australia

84 months ago

Hey i have an interview in perth on nov 1 as a massage therapist,
but am bit worried about the whole cruise ship deal and the amount to be made as i have a mortgage by my self im guessing by all these comments i wont be making enough to cover my repayments while im away... is that right?????

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

silvia in Italy

84 months ago

michael in Hayes, United Kingdom said: dear tracey it all depends on what your after, experience, travel, saving money parties, getting fit etc... dont have expectation and it will a better venture. dont be pushed around be assertive and you will have lows and highs. but all in all it should be a gate way for better things to come if you use steiner correctly and not against. did 2 contacts with them and loved it and hated it, and on other spa companies.It will be a great experience if your prepared for hard work!

good luck Michael

Micheal
Hi. I have been recruited by Steiner and shall start end of this nov in London for massage therapists. since you have done 2 contracts can you tell me if you got a real experience in your field? Everybody are commenting on money tips and hard selling but nobody is really telling me they came out being more knowledgable on their field being massage or else.
Thanks! silvia

silvia in Italy

84 months ago

crazymaddness in Málaga, Spain said: hi i am on a ship and work for steiner...i dont know how it is for others but i got a ship with great people BUT i make very little money because the people dont come... we get pressure from our manager shes starting to take out her stress on us.... it depends on what you want but dont expect to get your expenses back from 1 contract....i am heading for Brazil does anyone know how the retail and services are there (face and nails), wanna know cause im seriously thinking about jumping ship :)

Hi I have been recruited in madrid and leave to London end of nov.
I am reading too many bad comments about this company to have a lot of doubts ...since you are in the ship now can you tell me if it is a good experience on the job side. I wanted to go with the main reason of getting fast and good experience in massage but it seems it all comes out about selling and selling ...
Thanks for any comments.

thenailartist in Georgia

84 months ago

yellowrage17 in Norristown, Pennsylvania said: yes I did get the job and I am not quite sure when I go to london. I believe Jenny Millar said the next training is in January. But not sure.

Hi,

I am leaving for training in London in Jan. I was wanting to know if there is anyone else going to the same training?

thenailartist in Georgia

84 months ago

Tamika S. in Baltimore, Maryland said: When are u leaving.. .what massage skool did u attenD im going to orlando on the 26.my friends live there so ill be hanging then staright to business on the 26? what are ur major concerns or excitment for the cruise?

I went for the interview in Orlando at the same time....I did get a job offer. I leave for London in Jan. Did you get the job?????

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

thenailartist in Georgia

84 months ago

yellowrage17 in Malvern, Pennsylvania said: To all who have interviewed with Steiner:
When you guys went to the interview was everyone dressed in a suit or was business casual (Smartly dressed)? I am going for massage therapy and was wondering how the written exam was.

I recently went for an interview (Nail Tech). I wore a grey pant suit. Most of the people were dressed like airline flight attendants...Lol :-) I think professional dress is the safe way to go. Don't forget to take your smock or scrubs to perform your service in... Everyone has a written exam for their field (tip.....it's NOT multiple choice....be prepared to answer questions). But it was just on the basics.

Good Luck

thenailartist in Georgia

84 months ago

cburke777@yahoo.com in Lake Forest, California said: I am working on the Sapphire Princess as a massage therapist, and as a receptionist, you will be earning next to nothing. However, people do this role, to see the world, not for the money. It is obviously not for you by the sound of it.

Hi,

Can you give some insight on TAX. The money that we make ....is it tax FREE????

Thanks,

thenailartist in Georgia

84 months ago

Heather Fickett in Newton, Massachusetts said: anyone have their interview at the end of september in orlando?

I had my interview the end of Sept. in Orlando. I go to training in Jan.

Maren in Lynden, Washington

84 months ago

Hello!
I will be attending the training in London starting January 18th. It would be great to get to know someone else going to the training- if you'd like to chat please feel free to email me - marenwbrown@gmail.com or find me on facebook :)
Cheers!
Maren Brown

84 months ago

Hello to all: I interviewed in Orlando and I got the job! I begin training in January in london. Is there anyone else who interviewed at the same time I did and will be training in January?

84 months ago

Got the job offer...where is the paperwork/ CD? Anyone else NOT get it yet?

Page:  « First « Previous   3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.