How long to get license?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (37)

Rhianna in Jacksonville, Florida

72 months ago

Can anyone tell me how long it takes to get a license in Florida after you submit an application? (I just passed my state exam today :D !!!)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

The reason I ask is cause I'd like to start working ASAP. Is there a way to get a provisional license while you wait for an actual one?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Adrian in Cocoa, Florida

72 months ago

Rhianna in Jacksonville, Florida said: The reason I ask is cause I'd like to start working ASAP. Is there a way to get a provisional license while you wait for an actual one?

Hi Rhianna, well I received my license less then two weeks after I took the National Certification which is what you took as well there is no Florida State test so lets not confuse others. The exam offices will notify the state as soon as you pass. No there is no provisional licenses available. Just be patient and you will be fine.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

I just wanted to write in case anyone was wondering the same thing I was. I got a letter from the DOH today and it gave me my license # and said I could use the letter as authorization until I recieve my actual license and wall certificate. They said it could take 4-6 weeks. So, I guess you do get a provisional "letter to practice" until you get your actual license. At least I did.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

sabrinalmt in Metairie, Louisiana

61 months ago

Adrian in Cocoa, Florida said: Hi Rhianna, well I received my license less then two weeks after I took the National Certification which is what you took as well there is no Florida State test so lets not confuse others. The exam offices will notify the state as soon as you pass. No there is no provisional licenses available. Just be patient and you will be fine.

I am moving to the Keys in 2 weeks, from Louisiana, can you give me any guidance as to getting my license in florida. The board has been less than helpful. I am licensed here since 2002. They asked me if I wanted to take the test- does that mean they now have a state test or were they referring to the national, which I took in 2002? This has been very confusing for me. Please help.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Heather in Marina Del Rey, California

61 months ago

It took me a total of 2 months after taking my national boards to get everything I needed for work. They told me I could find my license on the Florida Dept of Health website within a week of passing but that was not the case. Best of luck!

Emma in Spring, Texas

52 months ago

I was wondering how much does a esthiology + massage career pay?

sabrinalmt in Key West, Florida

50 months ago

Yes you have to have national cert to get a license. You have to have 500 hours. $205.00 for app fee. You also have to have medical errors and hiv courses *approved by state of Fl* This has been a long road and a huge pain for me!! Also, you will need a florida rules and laws classs(12 hours) it is costing me $450 and a trip to Miami. It is costing me in the neighborhood of $1000 to do all of this! you can email me for more info sabrinalmt@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Heather in Venice, California

50 months ago

Here is a link with some info regarding your question:
www.massage-exam.com/florida-massage.php

I went to school and was licensed in FL and let me tell you, you may think it is a pain or expensive to get set up there, but once you are actually licensed and not just "certified" like in CA, you will appreciate it so much more. I miss working in my home state. I miss having the title of LMT and I miss not being viewed as a "health care provider". You will be respected and much more appreciated. Study up good though...the boards are no joke. as far as the HIV class and Florida Law classes I pasted another link below where you can take all of those classes on line and inexpensively. I maintain my license for FL even though I currently do not live there so I know that they recognize these courses.

yourceplace.com/

Best of luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

sabrinalmt in Key West, Florida

50 months ago

There is a class on Mon Nov 8th in Miami at Educating Hands school. I am going. It is a one day class from 9am to 8pm it is $450. I am sure its not too late to make it to the class if you call in the next couple of days...You can contact michael@educatinghands.com for info. He gives the class every other month.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Michael in Boca Raton, Florida

50 months ago

Just thought I would mention. I just passed my MBLEX a couple weeks ago and will get my transcripts etc.. from school this Tuesday to mail in.. Anyhow I filled out the application and saw that the fee for initial licensure is now $155.00. I see everyone saying $205.00 but it seems there has been an actual "price drop" this year.

Elizabeth in Spokane, Washington

49 months ago

hi my name is elizabeth and i was just wundering if anyone could tell me how long the process is to get a licence. im in my *th grade year doing a porject on what i want to be when i grow up. this is my passion and i need to kow for my project. i have searhed like 30 sites and cant find it. i live in spokane if that makes the time chnge.
thank you so much
Elizabeth

angela in Port Saint Lucie, Florida

48 months ago

Michael in Boca Raton, Florida said: Just thought I would mention. I just passed my MBLEX a couple weeks ago and will get my transcripts etc.. from school this Tuesday to mail in.. Anyhow I filled out the application and saw that the fee for initial licensure is now $155.00. I see everyone saying $205.00 but it seems there has been an actual "price drop" this year.

HI did you get your license and how long it too since the day they received your application? I sent mine on the first of this month and am waiting very anxiuos..

48 months ago

angela in Port Saint Lucie, Florida said: HI did you get your license and how long it too since the day they received your application? I sent mine on the first of this month and am waiting very anxiuos..

I actually just got my license number as of Tuesday 12/14. I have not gotten my package with the license in the mail but if you go on the florida health website you can do a health provider search and look for you name. When they have finished your app you will show up. I mailed in my app on november 17th so it took about 3 weeks (almost a month) to get my license which is apx what they tell you it will take.

48 months ago

Oh thanks for such a fast reply. congratulations on your license also. how is the job market in boca. all the best

sanry57 in Edgewater, Florida

48 months ago

So glad that you got your license! My opinion, the system in Florida is messed up. I applied to have my license transferred Aug. 26th and just got my letter (package with actual license will follow) stating my license # last week....it did however finally take a call from me to the governor's office.

48 months ago

I wonder why it took so long. did you have to take additional classes. normal time after you have all your docs together is 4 weeks at the most.

48 months ago

I think when you transfer from out of town it just probably takes longer.. besides having to get transcripts from a school that you did your florida law etc.. they have to verify with past state for legal reasons (I assume) to make sure record is clear etc.. Anyhow, that is just my opinion.

Job search... Actually I am just going to be doing some out calls to neighbors and friends until my wife gets her license in about 2 weeks then we will continue to offer service to neighbors but might also look for part time work at a spa or something. We both have full time normal jobs and took up massage as just something we thought we would enjoy on the side.

Thank you for the congrats angela and sanry :)

Ellen in Cape Coral, Florida

47 months ago

sabrinalmt in Metairie, Louisiana said: I am moving to the Keys in 2 weeks, from Louisiana, can you give me any guidance as to getting my license in florida. The board has been less than helpful. I am licensed here since 2002. They asked me if I wanted to take the test- does that mean they now have a state test or were they referring to the national, which I took in 2002? This has been very confusing for me. Please help.

Hey Sabrina, Can you tell me what the Oral exam consists of for getting a LMT license in Louisiana. I actually practice in Florida but am interested in licensing in La. Thanks, Ellen

sanry573 in Edgewater, Florida

47 months ago

Hi Sabrina, I moved back to Florida this past Aug and it tool me from then until Dec to get my license transferred. It is a slow process and I eventually ended up calling the governors office and in return I recieved a phone call that afternoon with my Florida license number.
I had to take a class in Florida laws & rules (which I took in Winter Garden FL, and it has to be in a classroom), I also had them review my transcripts as this is also required, I had to take a medical errors class which you can do online. They do not get in any hurry and they do not volunteer any information except for one thing at a time that is needed, so just a heads up! Good luck and hope that you enjoy Florida. The pay is much less here and the economy is much worse too, but jobs are out there if you are patient and eager to work....Sandy

47 months ago

sanry573 in Edgewater, Florida said: Hi Sabrina, I moved back to Florida this past Aug and it tool me from then until Dec to get my license transferred. It is a slow process and I eventually ended up calling the governors office and in return I recieved a phone call that afternoon with my Florida license number.
I had to take a class in Florida laws & rules (which I took in Winter Garden FL, and it has to be in a classroom), I also had them review my transcripts as this is also required, I had to take a medical errors class which you can do online. They do not get in any hurry and they do not volunteer any information except for one thing at a time that is needed, so just a heads up! Good luck and hope that you enjoy Florida. The pay is much less here and the economy is much worse too, but jobs are out there if you are patient and eager to work....Sandy

Sanry I had to do the same thing. Call the governor and I get immediate results. It took over four months for me too. They are slow and careless. Also they only issued the license for six months and then you have to renew it? Insane. Is that new?

47 months ago

I agree, it is insane. I was thinking while I was doing all the waiting to get my license and dealing with the board...I want their job!lol It is my understanding that the renewing time just happened to be in Aug of this year, I am not sure as it is so confusing anyway.

47 months ago

LOl exactly you would probably do a much better job. I thought it was a once a year renewal. So now we end up paying $300 per year? crazy

Massage Student in Orlando in Orlando, Florida

46 months ago

Where'd you get 155 from?The site says $195

Michael in Boca Raton, Florida said: Just thought I would mention. I just passed my MBLEX a couple weeks ago and will get my transcripts etc.. from school this Tuesday to mail in.. Anyhow I filled out the application and saw that the fee for initial licensure is now $155.00. I see everyone saying $205.00 but it seems there has been an actual "price drop" this year.

46 months ago

It is possible they have changed it once again. I paid 155 back when I did the whole process in November.

46 months ago

Me too i paid 155 in december.

MassageStudent in Orlando, Florida

46 months ago

angela in Port Saint Lucie, Florida said: Me too i paid 155 in december.

This past November/December?

newimage wellnessctr@tampabay.rr.com in Brandon, Florida

45 months ago

sabrinalmt in Metairie, Louisiana said: I am moving to the Keys in 2 weeks, from Louisiana, can you give me any guidance as to getting my license in florida. The board has been less than helpful. I am licensed here since 2002. They asked me if I wanted to take the test- does that mean they now have a state test or were they referring to the national, which I took in 2002? This has been very confusing for me. Please help.

Did you get your license???? newimagewellnessctr@tampabay.rr.com

45 months ago

angela in Port Saint Lucie, Florida said: Me too i paid 155 in december.

did you get your license yet. newiimagewellnessctr@tampabay.rr.com

45 months ago

MassageStudent in Orlando, Florida said: This past November/December?

did u get your license yet?? newimagewellnessctr@tampabay.rr.com

45 months ago

did u get your license yet??

45 months ago

did u get your license yet???

45 months ago

did u get your license yet?????

newimagewellnessctr@tampabay.rr.com in Brandon, Florida

45 months ago

sabrinalmt in Key West, Florida said: Still no license yet! I spoke with Brandy Boehm at the board several times last week and actually got every bit of documentation confirmed to be in their hands. I should have my license in the near future. Will post when I get it.. you will probably hear me screaming all the way from the Keys, lol!

Thanks for the reply. The reason I asked is I teach the 10hr law for new florida license and acess your app prior to submission. The system is bad at worst and I am trying to hekp fix it. Gerald

45 months ago

I feel your pain as this is how it was for me. I applied to transfer my license last Aug and finally after jumping through the hoops and taking all the necessary classes AND a call to the Governor's office I recieved my license. I might add, that the Board called me the same day that I called the Gov. and gave me my license # over the phone...just sayin!lol

davidboff@yahoo.com in Saratoga Springs, New York

42 months ago

I have a florida massage therapy licensce. CEU'S are due in August. Can I take my "live classroom instruction" portion of CEU in another state. I am
currently in New York.

Kiana in Toronto, Ontario

42 months ago

Hi can anyone let me know if a Canadian registered massage therapist who took a 2 yr program in massage therapy where it involved 2200 hrs be excempted from doing another exam in New York? I'm contemplating on moving there but would like to know if any hrs will be counted

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.