I need the help of some Massage Therapists!!!

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (8)

Angel T. in Hayward, California

24 months ago

I am currently trying to get into a program to get money to attend school to become a Massage Therapist. I need anyone who is currently working in this field to just answer a couple of questions for me. This is a requirement for me to get this grant.

1. How did you get into this field?
2. Do you love what you do? Why?
3. Is this a good field to get in to?

I am begging...PLEASE help me out!!! Thanks in advance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

TB in Fountain Valley, California

23 months ago

Hey Angel! I was a Massage Therapist for 4 1/2 years. I got burnt-out doing massage and moved on to another career. To answer your questions about how I got into this field I just researched surrounding schools and went in to take a tour of their school. I qualified for student loans so the process of enrolling was easy. I used to love this field but not so much anymore. I love helping people alot but you have to deal with alot of crap. This is seriously not a good field to get into. Its OK if you only are planning on doing it part-time as a supplemental income. Most of my classmates that I have graduated with back in 2006 are no loner in the field as well. According to the AMTA (American Massage Therapy Association) the average career span only last seven years. In school they will try and tell you using propler body machanics will avoid burnout/injury. Kinda true kinda not true, its just overuse and depends on this individual person. Most massage schools don't tell you any of the negative about this industry and NEVER believe them when they tell you can make $50 a hour!! Its not that its not true its just a little decieving. Also the new massage franchise are lowering the wages for MTs. Yes, you don't have to work for them but if you go online to see who is hiring, you will see the only places that are hiring are the franchises. This career in Massage Therapy blows. Iam glad I left it. I had many co-workers say the same thing, they wanted out of this industry as well when they realized how much of a joke it is. Feel free to ask anymore questions!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

janequinn12 in Dallas, Texas

22 months ago

I'm looking into Marinello at Inglewood California (www.marinello.com/beauty-schools/southern-california/inglewood.aspx) and I'm keen on this field because I've always given the best massages! My family and friends have always urged me to explore the possibilities of turning this into a career and here I am! I hope to one day start my very own spa, but for now I'll be happy working anywhere, gaining experience, doing what I love doing. :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

CarrieLMT

21 months ago

I didnt want to do massage therapy my parents forced me into it. After I graduated I took my test and went on to work for massage envy which is not a good company more like the mcdonalds of massage. I left there and worked for a PT 38 hrs a week but from those 38 only 18-23 were massaging. I made a decent living until september 2011 I got diagnosed with Lumbar bulging/Disc degeneration. It is now March 2013 and ever since I cannot find an employer who is willing hire me and pay me what I am worth. The market has become oversaturated with therapist and here in Florida they dont require that you take national test anymore, which is crap for therapist like me who have busted their behinds for years learning. Not alot of places are hiring only Massage Envy they will book you with no break no benefits and If you can't do deep tissue eh they wont give you clients. People who go there complain about therapist the pay is $15 per massage! I say dont do it do something else where you will get BENEFITS,PAID HOURLY, AND TIME OFF WHEN NEEDED. I hope I helped any more questions please ask

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

jdmassagetherapist6 in Atlanta, Georgia

21 months ago

The reason why we are so burnt-out its because of the spa industries we work for, they treat us like slaves. I have been a massage therapist for 7 years at first it was good now it's wearing me down too. We all should get together under one umbrella to create our own massage organization and put the spa companies out of business. We must stop working for them making them rich while we can't even pay our bills.

21 months ago

I have also worked for Massage Envy for 2 1/2 years. The pay is low and they don't respect their employees. Massage Envy has ruined the industry for us. You can't earn a living in massage anymore.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

shantasbest in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

21 months ago

I worked for them too and the fired me because my daughter had an asthma attack and the gave me the ultimatum to do massage or take her her medicine and them they lied so I couldn't get my unemployment

21 months ago

The final straw for me was when the manager indirectly called me "Not being a team player" for not wanting to massage a client. The client came in with no appointment for a massage while I was on my break. I was eating my lunch in the breakroom and the manager called me from the breakroom phone and said I had to come to the front to take a client. I told her I was clocked out and was eating my lunch but they didn't care. That really pissed me off, so I just quit.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.