how would a 47 year old female prosper in message therapy?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (13)

Heart of Texas in Austin, Texas

95 months ago

cherylb47 in scranton, Pennsylvania said: I just turned 47 and I am considering taking a course in message therapy. I am very much interested in natural health and would love to be able to help heal people with message. I have some occasional carpal tunnel that acts up once in a while with over exertion and I have chronic low back pain, that becomes worse at times if I lift improperly. I have talked with my chiropractor and was told that you must learn a technique when doing message to prevent injury. I am wondering if this would be a waste of my time and money or will I be able to succeed. I also did some nursing in the past, but I didn't like the risk of injuring my back further while repositioning patients. So I am tossing around going back to school again for nursing and taking the risk or going for message therapy. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hi!
There is proper body positioning that a Massage Therapist can learn when giving massage. This would prevent any further damage that may be caused from improper ergonomics. You may want to research this. It is essential for Massage Therapists' to be aware of what OUR bodies are telling us as well as others!

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Susan in Gainesville, Florida

95 months ago

Heart of Texas in Austin, Texas said: There is proper body positioning that a Massage Therapist can learn when giving massage. This would prevent any further damage that may be caused from improper ergonomics. You may want to research this. It is essential for Massage Therapists' to be aware of what OUR bodies are telling us as well as others!

Proper body mechanics does help prevent some injury but not all. It doesn't help prevent carpal tunnel or hand injuries which occur from overuse and has nothing to do with poor body mechanics. I agree with the others, if you already have these problems then massage will only make it worse guaranteed.

Reply - Report abuse

Babyace in Montclair, New Jersey

95 months ago

Hi Cheryl:
I went to school at age 47 and became a Massage Therapist. I am currently 49 and still love it. I think it is important to be in good shape. That means exercise, exercise, and exercise. I find yoga very helpful as an MT. I have seen out of shape MT's that are all banged-up; however, they would probably be in bad shape even if they weren't MTs. I am glad to promote wellness in my clients, by speaking to them from my own personal experiences. Good luck.

Reply - Report abuse

mishe in Hudson, New Hampshire

94 months ago

Hi I am due to start school for massage therapy, Can someone just give me an average wage for 20 hours a week of massage work?

Thanks!

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Tuna in Altoona, Pennsylvania

94 months ago

mishe in Hudson, New Hampshire said: Hi I am due to start school for massage therapy, Can someone just give me an average wage for 20 hours a week of massage work?

Thanks!

$16.78 per hour
$335 per week
$1,342 per month
$16,108 per year

Numbers from www.bls.gov/oco/ocos295.htm#earnings

Reply - Report abuse

Lori in Troy, Ohio

94 months ago

I have to echo getting yourself in shape first before becoming a therapist. You can minimize the risk of injury while performing massage by performing proper body mechanics and using a variation of techniques, but the mechanics do take some personal body awareness that alot of people lack unless they are trained in some form of movement, such as dance, yoga, pilates, ect.

Now on the nursing side, you *could* avoid having to move the patients in beds if you work at a doctors office rather than a long term care facility or hospital. The pay is lower, but you work no nights, weekends, or holidays so there are some benefits. It would also be easier finding a job as a nurse and your income would be more regular. With massage, you have to understand that if you work out of someplace you will have to share your session costs with the owners or use it to pay rent, then the joys of self employment taxes and most likely having no insurance. So many people get into massage seeing it as $50 an hour job, but forget to temper it with the knowledge that you cannot do massage 40 hours a week. 20 hours of massage is considered full time. So just keep that in mind if your seeing massage as being a higher paid position than nursing. Nurses still make pretty good money and they don't have to market for it at all.

I was pre-nursing at one point myself as well and worked in a hospital for 11 years. I had originally decided on nursing because it was 'steady', but I had no love for the work. I decided I'd rather do what I loved, supplimented by something more regular, than hate the way I made my living. My only suggestion is to try and find a happy medium between your head and your heart.

Reply - Report abuse

kschott9186 in Stockbridge, Georgia

56 months ago

Its all about your body Mechanics... i became a LMT at the age of 42. I have a blown disk at my L4/L5... i know my limits... Its about taking care of yourself and knowing your limits. I'd say go for it. It truly is the best thing i have ever done for me... Go into it with eyes wide open... use your beginners eye... and think outside of the BOX!!! i have made as little as 30 per hour and as much as 125.00 per hr on an average! But all the lives i have helped are my biggest reward..

Reply - Report abuse

TB in Fountain Valley, California

56 months ago

Don't become a Massage Therapist. Get into something more stable and less damaging to your body. 80% of all LMTs quit the profession within 5-7 years.

Reply - Report abuse

Wendy in Las Vegas, Nevada

56 months ago

I went to school at the age of 50 and I currently work full time; it is very rewarding. Full time is a bit much but depends on how busy the place is where you become employed. I have found I take much better care of myself as a MT and have learned so much that I wish I had chosen the career earlier.

Reply - Report abuse

kate-t in Utah

48 months ago

That's cool that you went back to school at age 50.

Reply - Report abuse

roseliebones in NRH, Texas

48 months ago

My grandmother is 83 yrs old and has rheumatoid arthritis she still performs massage therapy and loves to do it. She's been massaging for over 50 years. My mother has bone spurs and arthritis and she has been practicing for around 40 years and still enjoys the profession. I have been practicing for 11 yrs and thank god have only broken one thumb in three places which acts up on occasion, but love what I do for a living. My brother has been practicing for around 6 yrs and has nothing wrong and still finds happiness in this line of work. My point is there are things that you can do to keep your health up at any age to still be able to preform your job. My family drinks apple cider vinegar with water and honey to decrease arthritis pain. We also eat crushed red pepper to help with inflammation of the joints. So if you want to be a massage therapist and love to help people then it doesn't matter what age you are and if you have any set backs with your own body then there are ways to help yourself too. Trade massages with other therapists.

Reply - Report abuse

Colette in Los Angeles, California

45 months ago

cherylb47 in scranton, Pennsylvania said: I just turned 47 and I am considering taking a course in message therapy. I am very much interested in natural health and would love to be able to help heal people with message. I have some occasional carpal tunnel that acts up once in a while with over exertion and I have chronic low back pain, that becomes worse at times if I lift improperly. I have talked with my chiropractor and was told that you must learn a technique when doing message to prevent injury. I am wondering if this would be a waste of my time and money or will I be able to succeed. I also did some nursing in the past, but I didn't like the risk of injuring my back further while repositioning patients. So I am tossing around going back to school again for nursing and taking the risk or going for message therapy. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hi, Two and one-half years is the average time most fit massage therapists practice because of improper body mechanics causing pain. You may want to look into Energywork/Bodywork. Japanese Reiki is an example. Also, acupressure is a great alternative that uses Chinese medicine techniques and theory. Both are very powerful and therapeutic. Good luck.

Reply - Report abuse

Massage Therapy Schools Information in Irving, Texas

44 months ago

If you are starting massage later in life, you have one inherent advantage that I can think of. You know more people from all the years you have been around. Use this network to get clientele and referrals. A bigger network breeds a much bigger network. Use this to your advantage. Getting into business for yourself eventually will serve you best.

Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.