About to graduate in December with BSME. GPA not good. No job offers or even interviews yet. Should I be worried?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (10)

85BEARSkings in Suburbia, Illinois

23 months ago

Hello, I am about to graduate with my BSME from University of illinois Chicago and I am starting to worry about my chances of landing a job. I've heard some stories from friends who graduated in May that they were looking for months on end before landing jobs. Is it really that horrible out there? Nothing more scary to a recent college graduate than no job outlook with student loan debts ready to crash through the ceiling. I've applied to over 100 jobs, and while i've gotten calls from recruiters i've had no interviews with any hiring managers. My GPA is not very good, so realistically what are my chances?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

23 months ago

Thank you for the reply, I understand the job market is poor. There are a few things in my favor, a good family contact has been in the professional corporate recruiting position a while also my dad is a EE and has been working in that field for 30+ years now. I would like to find my own way and land a job under my own merit but I guess accepting their help would not be such a terrible thing. Trust me, I tried to acquire internships and experience in the field since junior year in college but no luck. I have read some horror stories of past graduate friends who have settled to working in retail as a means to get by. YIKES!!! I hope I can get something, If not at least a unpaid apprenticeship of some sort just to gain some footing in the industry.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

23 months ago

The reason I decided to do Mechanical engineering is because my dad and a bunch of other respected engineering people told me it's a great field to be in with a good outlook on jobs... That was in 2007. Can't blame the H1B foreigners for taking jobs, my dad started on a H1 visa without that I would not be living in this great country.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

23 months ago

I was planning on doing my MBA down the road, but since you need at least 5 years of working experience you have to have a job first. Thanks for the advice.

RBear in Pebble Beach, California

23 months ago

85BEARSkings in Suburbia, Illinois said: I was planning on doing my MBA down the road, but since you need at least 5 years of working experience you have to have a job first. Thanks for the advice.

There is nothing wrong with working through your Dad's recruiter friend. That's a networking/job strategy that anyone should use if it's available to them. Remember, even if the recruiter helps connect you, you'll still be getting hired based on your merits, not theirs.

You should still keep working on your own. Here are a couple of tips:
1. Decide where you want to live and if you're willing to relocate.
2. Based on #1, start your employer search. You can use a database directory like A to Z. You can access it through a library. Here's one: www.ci.oceanside.ca.us/gov/lib/services/db.asp
Click on the business directory, then narrow your search by location and industry. Check the company's website for job openings and to learn about what they do. If you see a company you like, call them. If it's a smaller company, ask to speak with the owner, the VP of Operations, or the HR Director.
3. Call back the recruiters you have talked with and ask them to give you the reasons why they weren't able to help you connect with any employers. This can help you improve.
4. Since your Dad has been an EE for 30 years, he probably has contacts at a number of companies. If you haven't already tried this, get those company contacts and call them. Let them know you are looking. Ask if they have openings. Ask if they can also refer you to anyone else who might.
5. What does your resume look like? You said the grades weren't good. What have you done in school or outside of school that demonstrates the following: critical thinking, teamwork, problem solving skills, communication skills, flexibility, ability to meet deadlines. These are the top skills employers are looking for. Does your resume reflect these attributes?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

23 months ago

Have you checked them out: www.sulzer.com/en/Careers/Working-at-Sulzer

If your resume needs help, let me know and I'll give you some direction.

Good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

23 months ago

Thanks RBear. I've been told my resume is good from my school's career planning office, and the couple recruiters who have contacted me. I'm going to try to tailor my resume to the requirements for each job description before applying because I've been using one copy for all jobs. Thank you for the database links, I will check the companies out.

And guest, from what my University advisers have told me for someone with average grades it takes more experience and higher GRE scores to get into MBA program at respected schools.

23 months ago

85BEARSkings in Suburbia, Illinois said: Thanks RBear. I've been told my resume is good from my school's career planning office, and the couple recruiters who have contacted me. I'm going to try to tailor my resume to the requirements for each job description before applying because I've been using one copy for all jobs. Thank you for the database links, I will check the companies out.

And guest, from what my University advisers have told me for someone with average grades it takes more experience and higher GRE scores to get into MBA program at respected schools.

You might try Southern New Hampshire University for your MBA. Well respected and I believe they will look at both working professionals and recent college graduates. But really, it sounds to me as if you'd like to get some experience first. I would recommend it - you'll get more out of your MBA.

Smart idea to tailor your resume for each position.

23 months ago

Rbear, I just applied at Sulzer. Thanks again.

23 months ago

My pleasure. Let me know how your job hunt goes and if there's anything else I can do to help.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.