Getting ahead...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (13)

Host

What is the best training for becoming a hirable mechanical engineer? What types of ongoing training or certifications are necessary to be an effective mechanical engineer?

What do non-traditional career paths look like?

Reply - Report abuse

will in Houston, Texas

91 months ago

I started a blog on this very topic...

engwigu.blogspot.com/

EngineerinWIGU - When I grow Up.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Wanderer in Saint Louis, Missouri

91 months ago

Mechanical as in HVAC, I'm assuming?

I have to throw in on non-traditional careers. I work in Facilities Management (for a medical facility), so the Mechanical Engineer(s) I work with aren't really designing HVAC systems... they're trouble-shooting and pre-planning and maintaining and repairing discontinued equipment. Challenging work, but, you don't have to worry about job security.

I guess the requirement for our Engineers is a Bachelor's, and Engineer's License in the state and knowledge of current standards for Medical Facilities (from offices to OR's and Negative Pressure rooms, etc).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

will in Houston, Texas

91 months ago

No, I'm a "Mechanical Engineer" or at least that what my degree is in. HVAC work is but one of many careers you can take. I actually did some HVAC drafting work while in school--and found it pretty boring. I design forklifts now--chassis, drive control systems, safety systems, powertrain, etc. Before that I designed equipment that processed raw seafood.

Wanderer in Saint Louis, Missouri

91 months ago

Sorry Will, that wasn't precisely directed at you so much as the clarifying the 'host' topic; as Mechanical is a term used to describe both HVAC/R and Manufacturing disciplines. I guess which serves to further the point and discussion. lol.
:-)

I liked my manufacturing design classes in high school and college, and found them a good challenge. But, the MEPFP work I do in my current position is challenging in many other ways.

Do you use specific software in your designs? Solidworks? Inventor or Mechanical Desktop? or something along those lines? or no? :-)

will in Houston, Texas

91 months ago

I use ProE(WildFire2) & Unigraphics now, SolidWorks & CADKey in my previous position, and AutoCAD R14 when I was doing the HVAC work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

fatiha in Plano, Texas

78 months ago

Hi Will,
I find your advices verry helpful.
I would like to learn mechanical design and I hesitate to go take Autocad classes.
What is the best design programm should a mechanical engineer take.
Any advice for me please?
Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Will A. in Houston, Texas

78 months ago

If you want the most opportunities, pick one of the following ProE, SolidWorks, or Autocad. Having two is best. Usually, a company will be running 2 systems (3d and 2d, or New and Legacy) anyway so you'll get training on something extra. Anything else is a dervative, too specialized, industry specific, or outdated (Solid Edge, Catia, UG, ?)

Fatiha in Plano, Texas

78 months ago

Hi Will,
I appreciate your sincere response, I will truly take your advice in consideration.
I have another question related to the previous one please!
Do you know which school(in the dallas area) give the training for the program that you have listed.
Thanks again

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Will A. in Houston, Texas

78 months ago

Well, actually I don't know that area at all. But you can get training from the people who sell the software...they have 1 week classes that cover different topics. It's not cheap, but you'll get some good exposure that way. You can also ask them for student copies of the software and just teach yourself...it's about that easy. If you're in school somewhere they would have something in the campus bookstore...or you can get them online from the vendors. I'm sure there are some trade schools somewhere in dallas where they have drafting classes. Here, at Houston Community College you can take an Autocad class, and they teach some 3d software too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Fatiha in Plano, Texas

78 months ago

Thank you, Will for your response.
God bless you

Fatiha in Plano, Texas

77 months ago

Hi,
I would like to take classes in design as I said above, but I am not so sure about what kind of design I like.
I normaly enjoy reading the drawings of a small electronics parts.
What do you think?
Thanks a lot.

Gwen Cooper in Fort Collins, Colorado

66 months ago

Wanderer in Saint Louis, Missouri said: Sorry Will, that wasn't precisely directed at you so much as the clarifying the 'host' topic; as Mechanical is a term used to describe both HVAC/R and Manufacturing disciplines. I guess which serves to further the point and discussion. lol.
:-)

I liked my manufacturing design classes in high school and college, and found them a good challenge. But, the MEPFP work I do in my current position is challenging in many other ways.

Do you use specific software in your designs? Solidworks? Inventor or Mechanical Desktop? or something along those lines? or no? :-)

Hello,
I'm a recruter in the MEP field. If you have any colleagues who are in transisition and are qualified in large-scale type of projects in healthcare or laboratories, I would appreciate it if you could forward my e-mail address to them.

There are several top notch companies looking for qualified applicants (doubly so if they have experience in energy modealing , DOE-2, TRN SYS, Energyplus).
No charge to the candidate and very confidential (no posting resumes on the web....that sort of thing)
At any rate if anyone would like to contact me, they can send an e-mail.
Thanks,
Gwen Cooper
cooperco@verinet.com

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.