Is mech engineering right for me?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

JW in Kennesaw, Georgia

59 months ago

Hello, I have been looking into getting a degree in the field of m.e., im wondering if this field is good for me. I have read that it is boring work and you have to have a passion for it. While i do not have a passion for math or science per say, math was one of my strong points in hs, it always came fairly easy to me. I also enjoy taking things apart, repairing things, fiding out what makes them tick ect. I race atvs and love taking mine apart.

What kinda work is involved, hands on? I fear I may end up behind a computer designing something all the time, I dont know if i would enjoy that very much.

Oppinions are greatly appriciated!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

JP

59 months ago

Look into a BSMET if you are the hands on type. BSME work is very quantitative.
Don't come out of school without 2 summers of internships, or below a 3.2 GPA - which is not easy for a BSME.

Noone will hire you below a 3.0 GPA.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

CC in Honolulu, Hawaii

55 months ago

Sweet. My GPA coming out of college is well below a 3.0. Time for a career change...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

CareerGuru in San Francisco, California

55 months ago

CC in Honolulu, Hawaii said: Sweet. My GPA coming out of college is well below a 3.0. Time for a career change...

Bring the degree with you and pray they forget to ask for transcripts?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

CC in Honolulu, Hawaii

55 months ago

It's likely that most companies would request the transcripts since I'm a recent graduate with little work experience. The job market sucks here in Hawaii, most companies seem to only be looking for those with experience. Kinda frightening to read all these comments about how people can't find jobs on the mainland.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

UdontKnowMEuNeverSeeMe in Wilmerding, Pennsylvania

32 months ago

I got 2.9 for a combine GPA (my major is even lower o.O), and got the job as design engineer, none of employers that interviewed me ever ask for a transcript, all they did was read the resume. My resume included a lot of extra curricular activities such as FSAE, Ship design, ROBOTICs, design build and fly etc., as long you include all those activities in the resume they will assume that you came from college so they won't ask for your resume. A lot of employers never bother to ask about GPA or transcript, they want to see what kind of experiences you have done while in school or on internship that can be of help to their company.

So good luck to all C students, just make sure you write a very detail but not overwhelming resume.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.