Mechanical Engineering

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

Thomas in Medford, Massachusetts

33 months ago

Hello my name is Thomas and live in Massachusetts. I was thinking about becoming a Mechanical Engineer or an Electrical Engineer. I am very mechanical inclined and I enjoy gears and science very much, I work as a engine tranny tech at a mechanic shop. I work 55+ hours and make enough to pay bills. My question is to anyone who has a degree in either of the two. 1) As far as money is there enough for bills and fun? 2) I am willing to relocate but how is the job market? I hope to graduate with a high GPA. 3) What should I learn before I go to college or should know very well for a good engineer job? Constitutional criticism is welcome, thank you very much.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

awesome in Holbrook, Arizona

33 months ago

you should do it!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Alex JIg in Brentwood, New York

33 months ago

Don't do it your overworkd and under payed go to the medical field instead. If you can do engineering the medical field should not be a problem. It's all about planning and focusing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

33 months ago

Well I am still thinking about what field to go into so I will take that into consideration. As for being overworked, I would not mind if its something I love. I already feel overworked and underpaid. That being said I would love to hear more from experienced engineers about the field. Anything will help. Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Recent Grad in Fremont, California

33 months ago

Hey Thomas! I am a recent Mechanical graduate from California, and I'd be happy to answer some of your questions.

1) One of the key things to remember about the working world is that there are no constants, regardless of the field you get into. Some employers want to work you to the bone and pay you a 30-40K salary to do it, while others may give you a comfortable environment and start you off with 70K and full benefits. You should expect an average salary around 50K to start, but if your experiences mesh well with specific employers, they may offer more.

2) The job market right now is a little better than a few years ago, but supply is still greater than demand. Some of my local businesses have been hiring, but the majority of job requests want 3 or more years of experience. Entry level jobs in my region are much harder to find, so I may need to relocate if my prospects do not work out. If the economy is still nasty when you have your degree, be prepared to find jobs by city and keep family/friends in mind should you have to move somewhere.

3) Your first goal should be to strengthen your math and physics, if you have not already done so. Lower-division courses like statics and material science will rely on principles like moment of inertia, center of mass, and entropy, but upper division courses will demand that you apply them quickly as a fraction of a larger problem. Your college's engineering program should give you a guide for what to take, and if you need any remedial math, get it done ASAP. Study MATLAB, LabVIEW, and at least one CAD program like AutoCAD or SolidWorks. Get some programming experience as well if you can afford the time. Also, try looking for a community college that will offer your lower-division courses as well if you are concerned about the expense.

Regardless of what you decide, I wish you good luck with your endeavors!

33 months ago

Thank you very much for the response. I have no problem with math and physics and don't mind taking any class's as necessary. The pay sounds great to. I have heard a lot of engineers saying they might have to relocate to find a good job. Is it normal for engineers to locate for jobs? I live near Boston Massachusetts and was hoping to stay close but for the pay I will be more then happy to relocate. Thank you for responding.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.