Certification by fire

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

Z in AZ. in Scottsdale, Arizona

45 months ago

I have 24 years experience as a medical assistant for a group of 4 family physicians. These fine physicains trained me in phlebotomy, procedures, ie: EKG, UA,CBC, culture collection, simple surgical set up and assist, suture removal, pap collection, IV, IM, SQ, interdermal injection. I have extensive knowledge of childhood and adult immunization requirements, and I am even familiar with travel immunization requirements. My medical terminology and and ability to code diagnoses, and procedures to there highest level of specification was obtained by CME classes. I have a vast knowledge of medications, how it is supplied (mgs, units, grams, mg/ml, mcg), dosage, and indications. I am CPR and first aid certified. But alas I have no MA certificate. I was the one who trained our externs from the local schools. As the physicians I worked for have retired or pasted on, I have been unable to secure a job as a medical assistant due to lack of certification. Does anyone know of a state board that will certify by testing?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Scoots in West Union, Ohio

45 months ago

Why don't you petition the AAMA and see if you can be "grand-fathered in" to a CMA certificate? I've heard that others in your situation were. Certification (CMA) is national, not state, and goes through the AAMA.

Most MA posted jobs in my area don't require certification.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

SLynn72 in San Diego, California

44 months ago

Z in AZ. in Scottsdale, Arizona said: I have 24 years experience as a medical assistant for a group of 4 family physicians. These fine physicains trained me in phlebotomy, procedures, ie: EKG, UA,CBC, culture collection, simple surgical set up and assist, suture removal, pap collection, IV, IM, SQ, interdermal injection. I have extensive knowledge of childhood and adult immunization requirements, and I am even familiar with travel immunization requirements. My medical terminology and and ability to code diagnoses, and procedures to there highest level of specification was obtained by CME classes. I have a vast knowledge of medications, how it is supplied (mgs, units, grams, mg/ml, mcg), dosage, and indications. I am CPR and first aid certified. But alas I have no MA certificate. I was the one who trained our externs from the local schools. As the physicians I worked for have retired or pasted on, I have been unable to secure a job as a medical assistant due to lack of certification. Does anyone know of a state board that will certify by testing?

Take the National Center for Competency Testing. If you have experience they can fax them the dates of your employment, and you can sit and take the test at any of the medical assisting schools around your town that give this test. You'll be nationally certified. The best book to study is the Kaplan test review guide for Medical Assisting. Barnes and Nobel and others carry it. I too needed to re-certify and I self studied and called a school and they said yeah I can take the test there, no affiliation with the school.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.