Experience

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (13)

Carol in Berkeley, California

72 months ago

I graduated from a Medical Assisting course in September, and have been looking for something, ANYTHING, in the field, and have not even gotten an interview. I've redone my resume several times with the help of my placement director, but nothing. All the ads want someone with at least 1 year experience. So I guess my question is, where does one get a year's experience if no one will hire you?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Chantelle McDuffie in San Carlos, California

72 months ago

I graduated in September from Everest College. I interned at California Cardiovascular Consultants, there i took vital signs, prepared equipment before any procedure, gave injections, fast blood sugar testing,and urinalaysis.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

I did my externship at Kaiser and did the same things. Did you get hired after your externship?

72 months ago

So my question is how can one get hired if each company wants a 1 year experience for there qualifications.

72 months ago

No i havent but ive been job hunting for three weeks now

72 months ago

I actually started job hunting in August before I completed my externship, I still haven't gotten an answer to how to get some experience...

SKFB in Oakland, California

72 months ago

Carol in Berkeley, California said: I actually started job hunting in August before I completed my externship, I still haven't gotten an answer to how to get some experience...

Carol, where did you do your training?
Were you not able to get into a float pool at Kaiser?

72 months ago

I did my training at Fast Response in Berkeley, and I even did my externship at Kaiser, but haven't been able to get in their float pool or anywhere else.

72 months ago

Sorry to hear about your dilemma Carol. That has to be tough.
Was the Fast Response program any good, and are they helping you in any way?

72 months ago

The program at Fast Response was great! 5 very intensive months of training in all clinical aspects of the job, and sent out for externship right after I completed class. There is a really great lady named Amy, she is in the Placement Department, and she has been sending my resume for me nearly on a daily basis, but she reports the same problem as I'm finding on my own, no experience - no job offers

72 months ago

Sorry to hear of your struggles. There are so many schools now for MA in the Bay Area that it seems maybe the market for newbies is getting a bit saturated. From what I know, it's tough out there but others may be finding luck.
Keep trying, you'll get there. Have you done any volunteering? Sometimes that can open up a door or two.

72 months ago

I really haven't been in a position to volunteer, I'm working as a receptionist full time so there aren't many chances to give my time and talents. I'd be available for some health fairs on the weekends or something like that.

So and So in Berkeley, California

30 months ago

Chantelle McDuffie in San Carlos, California said: So my question is how can one get hired if each company wants a 1 year experience for there qualifications.

Kaiser waives the work experience requirement if you have completed an externship with them. It says so right on the job postings @ www.kp.org.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.