Job offer from externship site...When do you say 'no'?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

tea ali in Washington, New Jersey

41 months ago

I will be completing my medical assisting externship this week and I plan to sit for my certification in September. I have been offered a job replacing the secretary who put in her two weeks notice a few days ago. The job would involve all of the administrative duties of an MA, from reception to filing to handling referrals to light billing. I have been a sahm for 5 years and I see this as a doorway into the medical field and at the very least a much-needed work-related reference to add to my resume which is bare. I have enjoyed externing at this office, but I'm now questioning if taking this job is a step backwards. Any opinions on when to say 'no'?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

tea ali in Glenside, Pennsylvania

40 months ago

Mitch in Tacoma, Washington said: No, not a step backwards, it's very smart to do this. You will still utilize basically 1/2 of your skills via the front office portion of being an MA. As we have found as we search for jobs for MA's, most employers want a year of exp...in this, you shall have that year. Take it my friend and good luck!

Sorry for the delay in responding. I went ahead and accepted the job and I'm in training. I've read so much here about people not being able to find jobs after externship, but thankfully this job landed in my lap totally unexpectedly, so at least I don't have to deal with interviewing, for now. I will milk it for all the experience that I can get out of it. Thank you for your advice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Matt, NCMA in Salt Lake City, Utah

40 months ago

tea ali in Glenside, Pennsylvania said: Sorry for the delay in responding. I went ahead and accepted the job and I'm in training. I've read so much here about people not being able to find jobs after externship, but thankfully this job landed in my lap totally unexpectedly, so at least I don't have to deal with interviewing, for now. I will milk it for all the experience that I can get out of it. Thank you for your advice.[/QUOTEHi
Hi there, That's the wrong attitude to have. You shouldn't say "I will milk it milk it for all the experience that I can get out of it". This makes you sound like you're a thief, and that you don't care about your patients, or the company you work for. It can haunt down the road. Remember words are very powerful. So be careful what you say, and always be positive in what you say and do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

tea ali in New Jersey

40 months ago

Matt, NCMA in Salt Lake City, Utah said:

Matt, you are absolutely right. "Milk" isn't a regular word in my vocabulary, so I should have thought of another way to phrase my feelings. I meant that I will get everything out of the experience that I can, as far as gaining valuable work experience that I didn't have before. I am not the type of person to do anything in a careless manner or take advantage of people. The doctor and his staff have all treated me well and I think they must see some good in me or they wouldn't have offered me a job.

Thanks for the 'wake up'. I'll take "milk" off my vocabulary list, unless it applies to the stuff we pour on cereal.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.