MEDICAL ASSISTANT VS LPN

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (301 to 350 of 1359)
Page:  « First « Previous   4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next »   Last »

Corpsman in Virginia Beach, Virginia

59 months ago

Check with the Florida Society of Medical Assistants at www.fsmaonline.org Make sure that the medical assisting program is accredited so you can become a CMA(AAMA).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Jessica in Corona, New York

59 months ago

Hello,

I had a quick question and I wanted to get feedback. How much harder do you feel it is to become an LPN/LPN compared to becoming a Medical Assistant?

I know that a Medical Assistant and LPN study a lot of the same stuff...but I don't know how much harder it is to become an LPN. Someone told me that becoming an LPN is twice as hard as becoming a Medical Assistant...which sounds about right...but I don't know. I mean..becoming a Doctor would be about twice as hard as becoming a registered nurse...so that comparison sounds accurate...

....or is it really not too much harder? I know that being a nurse pays more..but I'm not concerned with that..I just want to know how much harder it is to become an LPN over becoming a Medical Assistant.

Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Pam W. in Lake Elsinore, California

59 months ago

Jessica in Corona, New York said: Hello,

I had a quick question and I wanted to get feedback. How much harder do you feel it is to become an LPN/LPN compared to becoming a Medical Assistant?

I know that a Medical Assistant and LPN study a lot of the same stuff...but I don't know how much harder it is to become an LPN. Someone told me that becoming an LPN is twice as hard as becoming a Medical Assistant...which sounds about right...but I don't know. I mean..becoming a Doctor would be about twice as hard as becoming a registered nurse...so that comparison sounds accurate...

....or is it really not too much harder? I know that being a nurse pays more..but I'm not concerned with that..I just want to know how much harder it is to become an LPN over becoming a Medical Assistant.

Thanks

I was an MA and later became an LVN and have been a nurse for 10 years. The two jobs are totally different careers. The lvn program is very challenging, but with hard work, you can do it. From what I remember, the MA learns very basic anatomy/physiology and you basically learn to do vitals and assist in the doctors office. There is much more in depth studies in the nursing program and you must be able to pass the nclex-pn exam which can be difficult.

It shouldn't matter how difficult the training is, the important thing is to do what will make you happy in life. I have to say it is probably about 10 times more difficult to become a doctor than a nurse but again, they are 2 totally different careers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Kat in Arlington, Texas

59 months ago

Thanks

I cannot personally compare the two since I have never been through an MA program. At many schools (including the one I attended) they seem to push the applicants who score lower on the entrance tests or who have other life situations such as being a single mother or being younger than the average student, towards the MA program instead of the Nursing program. My guess would be because the MA programs are not as academically challenging and typically less intense therefore those applicants would be more successful with MA. However, I don't think you can quite accurately compare the two because they are different careers. I've heard from many an LPN who's bridged over to RN, say that the RN portion was much easier for them than the LPN. It also really depends on the individual and the school they attend.

mmt4 in Albuquerque, New Mexico

59 months ago

How much harder do you feel it is to become an LPN/LPN compared to becoming a Medical Assistant?

About 10 yrs ago, I did a term plus a week of LPN school. I learned basic skills (think CNA, plus subQ injections) and then stuck around long enough to buy the MedSurg textbook and read some of it (I don't want to be a nurse after all but am interested in RT or RRT). I am considering MA school right now for many reasons, one of them being I don't have 4-5 hours per night to study. I think part of the educational difference is with Nursing, you learn the information, have to retain it and have to synthesize it into a nursing framework, with nursing diagnoses, care plans,...whereas with MA, you have to learn the information and retain it, to be familiar enough with it to anticipate what the MD will need from you in an office (eg what kinds of history questions to ask).

Someone will point out I am oversimplifying it, and I probably am, but there are so many differences, that its hard to explain them. Its much more than skills.

I hear the care plans get easier after a while, and you get into a groove, but the schooling can be quite rigorous. There are certain people and life situations that MA is useful for, regardless of whether they are smart enough to do something more rigorous. I do think there are some people who should just go directly to LPN school because its better for them.
HTH

gbabe in Las Vegas, Nevada

59 months ago

afnichols30 in Sarepta, Louisiana said: I was employed in an Emergency Room for 3 years as Ward Clerk...I LOVED it! Now I am thinking of Certification as Medical Assistant. Can someone tell me the benefits over LPN?

Im Medical Assistant myself, and I am thinking of certification as medical Assistant and continue on to LPN. so it will benefit me readly more into responsibilty position and greatly added to the provider office persona, with and my assets.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Corpsman in Virginia Beach, Virginia

59 months ago

To be a Certified Medical Assistant by the American Association of Medical Assistants CMA(AAMA) you have to had graduaded from a CAAHEP accredited program. See www.aama-ntl.org

Ramona in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

59 months ago

Corpsman in Virginia Beach, Virginia said: To be a Certified Medical Assistant by the American Association of Medical Assistants CMA(AAMA) you have to had graduaded from a CAAHEP accredited program. See www.aama-ntl.org

CAAHEP or ABHES accredited program.

Liliana R in Elizabeth, New Jersey

59 months ago

I AM VERY CONFUSED..

IST BETTER TO GO TO SCHOOL FOR MEDICAL ASSISTANT FIRST OR NURSE???

Kat in Arlington, Texas

59 months ago

Liliana R in Elizabeth, New Jersey said: I AM VERY CONFUSED..

IST BETTER TO GO TO SCHOOL FOR MEDICAL ASSISTANT FIRST OR NURSE???

Go to medical assistant school if you want to be a medical assistant. If you want to be a nurse you do not need to do medical assisting first, just go to nursing school or become a nurse's aide first.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

ccraisins in Bell, Florida

59 months ago

Hello everyone. I am a medical assistant student with Keiser University right now. I'm doing the online courses so I can stay at home to take care of my 7 month old daughter. It is accredited and everything, look it up before replying to me.

Anyway, I have to complete 440 hours of externship. I have to assist surgical procedures, as well as regular procedures such as blood work ect... It is not true that MA only work in doctors office. I am completing my externship with Palakta Healthcare, a nursing home here in Putnam County FL. They have already drawn up a contract for me to stay with them after I graduate as a full-time MA in their facility. I will be assisting patients, especially those who are diabetic and unable to do their own shots and tests. I will also be taking care of the patients who return from the hospital after surgeries and other procedures.
For my surgical externships, I go with patients from the nursing home and assist them while they are at the hospital. I'm guessing the woman who assisted in the csection did the same thing. It's all in descretion of the office you are working for.

I was aware that MA do not get the same pay as a nurse, I didnt expect the same pay. But for right now in my life having two small children at home, doing something I could complete at home was best for me. I plan on returning to school for my LPN or RN after my kids are school-age. For now I believe I will be pleased with my MA.

Please do not believe what everyone is saying about only working in a doctors office because that is not true. My hospital also accepts MA students as long as you agree to stay with them after you graduate. So please check around and talk to the HR office of your local health facilities to make sure. Things are different everywhere so it is best to find out things on your own.

experienced MA in Newark, New Jersey

59 months ago

It depends on where you live, I am a CMA and have been for 6yrs and my pay rate right now is at $19/hr...I am not gonna lie i started with 10.00/hr straight outta school....but with experience comes more pay...I am able to give injections, I also do patient teaching and at my job I function as a nurse, write Rx's,able to make patient care decisions, the Cma's, Lpn's And the Rn's at my job does the same exact thing,SAME THING from start to finish.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

skilpn in Lake Elsinore, California

59 months ago

experienced MA in Newark, New Jersey said: It depends on where you live, I am a CMA and have been for 6yrs and my pay rate right now is at $19/hr...I am not gonna lie i started with 10.00/hr straight outta school....but with experience comes more pay...I am able to give injections, I also do patient teaching and at my job I function as a nurse, write Rx's,able to make patient care decisions, the Cma's, Lpn's And the Rn's at my job does the same exact thing,SAME THING from start to finish.

I don't think you mean you write RX, only a doctor can do that. You need to be careful with the information you give and be sure it is correct, it makes you sound very uneducated as well as proves that MA's don't really know as much about nursing as they think they do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jagkat in Mobile, Alabama

59 months ago

MZ.KISSY in Pensacola, Florida said: I AM ABOUT TO START CAPPS COLLEGE AND I AM GOING TO BECOME A MEDICAL ASSISTANT AND AS I HEAR MORE ABOUT THE WHOLE MEDICAL ASSISTANT I FEEL THAT ITS JUST PROBABLY NOT THE JOB FOR ME EVEN THOUGH I LIKE HELPING OTHERS OUT...

SINCERLY: YOUNG AND CONFUSED

Mz. Kissy, I made the mistake of going to Capps College here in Mobile. I wasn't able to get a job in the field.Capps allows it's students to work at local clinics to gain experience(externship/internship)> The problem with this scenerio is that Capps puts out so many students and with all the Free help the clinics are getting they don't have to hire anyone. Another problem is all the Student Aid you will have to pay back. My advice is go to a community College where at least you will have real college credits that will transfer to a 4 year college and the tuition is much cheaper financial aid to pay back. Even If you are able to get a job you will not make a high enough wage to pay back uncle Sam as a MA. Become a nurse and get Paid. Check out the difference in tuition cost, YOU WILL BE SHOCKED at how much Capps charges for tuition versus a state College.
I wish you all the luck in the world. God bless you in your decision.

gbabe in Las Vegas, Nevada

59 months ago

Ramona in Milwaukee, Wisconsin said: Judy in Sicklerville, New Jersey said: "I am a LPN for 27 years and teach MA's. MA's cannot take off orders, nor take a V.O unless the hospital a LPN cannot either. MA cannot pour meds nor pass meds without a special certifcation class and test and is not acceptable everywhere. MA cannot be in charge either unless the LPN is in the hospital. There are so many differences." Judy

It is not at all clear what you are trying to convey. It does not appear by your writing that you should be teaching MAs/LPNs?

what is a V.O?
YOU MEAN? IV, V02, or vol%. There are so many abbreviations.

Kat in Arlington, Texas

59 months ago

gbabe in Las Vegas, Nevada said: what is a V.O?
YOU MEAN? IV, V02, or vol%. There are so many abbreviations.

V.O. = Verbal Order

Sopiahlael in Columbus, Ohio

59 months ago

skilpn in Lake Elsinore, California said: I don't think you mean you write RX, only a doctor can do that. You need to be careful with the information you give and be sure it is correct, it makes you sound very uneducated as well as proves that MA's don't really know as much about nursing as they think they do.

As an MA I didn't write scripts but I called them in. I suppose considering the environment, such as a medical office, they may do the same things but I venture to say there is still more in the scope of practice that will not be in an MA's scope of practice.

59 months ago

Sopiahlael in Columbus, Ohio said: As an MA I didn't write scripts but I called them in. I suppose considering the environment, such as a medical office, they may do the same things but I venture to say there is still more in the scope of practice that will not be in an MA's scope of practice.

There is so much more in the nurse's scope of practice than MA's. I don't understand why the MA's on here are so hell bent on thinking they know as much or are allowed to do as much or more than a nurse. If you want to be a nurse or compare yourself to one, then go to nursing school. Otherwise, be proud of what you do as an MA and quit arguing about how much you can do or can't do on this site. It's not very helpful to anyone and is not what this site was intended to do.

Michelle in Dumfries, Virginia

59 months ago

vilma souza in Redwood City, California said: LPN means Licenced Practical Nurse- LVN means Licenced Vocational Nurse- they are the same. They inject IV's and have at least 30 credits towards the science education and gruaduated as such. They
also did an extership at the hospital.
Certified Medical Assistants do not have Licences, only a Certificate
from the school they attended and if they pass the Certification
with the STATE then they they become CERTIFIED Nationally.
Medical Assistants do not give IV's.
LPN or LVN make more money working in the Hospitals, but, they can
also do the Medical Assistant jobs.

I am really shocked at some of the responses on this site. It is very apparent that a lot of people commenting here are not aware of the laws from state to state as far as administering meds and or starting IV's. There are states that allow certified MA's to start IV's. They cannot push anesthetics, however they can start the IV. I make 19.00per hr. working in a surgical suite and the state I work in allows me to do many things that other states I have lived in do not.
My suggestion is to know all your facts before so matter of factly posting incorrect information. To all those wanting precise info, contact AAMT or AAMA for laws that apply in your particular state.

Desperately seeking employment in Norcross, Georgia

59 months ago

Terry B. in Alpharetta, Georgia said: Hi I am a medical assistant in Atlanta, Ga. I have been in health care for about 3yrs. I love what i do. I have taken the exam to become a Registered Medical Assistant, and there is no where i can go far as career. I work with LPN and they do make more. And now i am trying to get in to a LPN program for 18 mos.And yes!!!!! I am a man.

Well I graduated 2 months ago as a MA and I can't find a job to save myself. It seems like everyone wants you to have two or more years of experience which just seems silly because a lot of the positions are PRN's or part time. I mean if I have over 2 years experience I would be going after the good jobs not whenever you need me. I just thought of all positions they would hire new grads for the worst positions to give us experience but i guess not. Anyway if you have any connections please help a sister out. That would be greatly appreciated because the school is doing nothing and haven't got me on one interview.

jkrueger1@optimum.net in Hackettstown, New Jersey

59 months ago

Desperately seeking employment in Norcross, Georgia said: Well I graduated 2 months ago as a MA and I can't find a job to save myself. It seems like everyone wants you to have two or more years of experience which just seems silly because a lot of the positions are PRN's or part time. I mean if I have over 2 years experience I would be going after the good jobs not whenever you need me. I just thought of all positions they would hire new grads for the worst positions to give us experience but i guess not. Anyway if you have any connections please help a sister out. That would be greatly appreciated because the school is doing nothing and haven't got me on one interview.

I agree, and have moved on it is almost impossible to get a job if you are not hired from externship. Don't let the schools run you, go for nursing, LPN is only a year at community college. good luck

ashlie2144 in Fairfield, California

59 months ago

well i know that i make 18 an hour and i have been an m.a. for around three years. i was lucky though i got a job two weeks out of school. but iam trying to go back to school to be an lvn... just because iam done with the politics of a doctors office. i just want to deal with pts and not worry if their insurance will pay for a medicine that they really need. its quality of care not quanity!!!!

59 months ago

ashlie2144 in Fairfield, California said: well i know that i make 18 an hour and i have been an m.a. for around three years. i was lucky though i got a job two weeks out of school. but iam trying to go back to school to be an lvn... just because iam done with the politics of a doctors office. i just want to deal with pts and not worry if their insurance will pay for a medicine that they really need. its quality of care not quanity!!!!

unfortunatly, as an LVN, insurance will be an issue for you on the job. The insurance companies pretty much rule the health care system at this time. They tell you what you can and can't do.

XXX in Jersey City, New Jersey

58 months ago

at my LPN school the LPN course work load is VERY DIFFICULT, figure at least 1.5 hrs study per day to be very successful!!!

LVN in Willis, Texas

58 months ago

LPN's in my area start off right out of school around 20.00 to 22.00 an hour, where MA's start around 11.25 to 15.75 an hour. There is a lot of difference, most importantly an LPN/LVN is a Nurse, where as an MA is not. Here is yet another good example of why you would want to become an LPN/LVN vs. an MA.....the money! The average cost of MA school from one of those "private" change your life now non-reginally accredited colleges is 15,000 up to 28,000. I know because I have worked with a few of them. I on the other hand attended LVN school for the grand total of 5500.00!!!!! And all of my college hours are transferable, I only need to attend for an additional 12 months and I will be a Registered Nurse. Now combine the cost of both of these two programs.......at a local community college......around 9500.00 or so. Now a new RN grad will start around 30.00/hr!

Don't get sucked into the quick fix to a new career gimmick. Ask the school if they are regionally accredited, if not all of the money and hours you spent there will get you no further in your career. Most of these fly by night schools MA programs are 6 to 8 mths in length so why not go for the whole year, full load M-F 8 hours a day, during clincicals you will have three days a week in every treatment setting you can imagine. I stood shoulder to shoulder in the OR during open heart-surgery, I went into procedure with Cardiac Catherization, I started at least 10 IV's, Venipuncture, inserted Foley Caths, Hyperbaric Wound Care, Pedicatrics, Maternal Nursing, this is just to name a few. So if you want to come out of a program with some real experience already under your belt, then choose LPN/LVN. Then if you like it, take it to the next level and become a RN. Skip the MA thing, it will only cost you more money in the end!
Also, at the end of the day, no matter how long you have been a MA you will always have an LPN/LVN or RN who supervises you, never the other way around.

catherine in Bountiful, Utah

58 months ago

well i do not think the medical assistant program is a bad one for anyone! it helps young people that need to go to school and get into a job quicker just like the cna program. i found that i would rather have the schooling under my belt and learn a lot more as a medical assistant then not do anything.
fyi while you are in high school you can become a cna and also a medical assistant here in the state of utah! i was dumb and didn't take these courses early...if i would have then i would have been on my way to nursing school. honestly a good thing is to go into one of these programs to through your college because if you screwed around in high school like i did it redeems your for some bad grades....
i am not down grading on any RN, LPN, CNA or MA we all have an important job to do no one is better then the other. i work in a laundry facility at a hospital and i know the importance because i study it.
if it wasn't for me in the laundry facility doing laundry then people would not have clean linen and have to live in their own filth...same with a housekeeper as well..the housekeepers job is to keep the place clean so no one dies from disease. a doctor is good but not good enough if the facility is clean.
my point is that it doesn't matter what job you have in a hospital or how much money you make as long as you are happy! i am happy right where i am and i wouldn't change it at all. the other point i am making is it doesn't matter what job you have in the hospital as long as we all work together and help someone else. that's the whole point is helping other people and not just ourselves....i wish all of you the best of luck on any position that you have! keep studying and don't fall for everyone's bs when it comes down to the medical field. you know what you are doing and enjoy your time in it.

LVN in Willis, Texas

58 months ago

So Catherin in UTAH, go to Nursing School. We need you, it sounds like you have already been thinking about going. Who cares about your grades in High School=====NO ONE! Go to your local community college and talk to a counselor. You will be very surpirsed to see that I am speaking the truth. I also did not pay attention in HS. I graduated PHI THETA KAPPA. If you have the HEART of a NURSE your BRAIN will follow. Go for it I wish you the best of luck!!

CGoebel44 in Saint Charles, Missouri

58 months ago

muziklvr in Bedford, New Hampshire said: I can tell you my experience. I am a certified medical assistant thru AAMA. I have worked in a pediatric office for 5 years, and I can tell you this, I do as much and more clinical procedures than LPN's in my office. I do not get the same pay they do which is higher than my pay, just because they are LPN's. It has become very frustrating to me to sit next to a LPN, do more clinical procedures at the ACUTE level and they still get more pay than I do. I would suggest you take a look around, when you find a job your interested in, check the starting salaries of LPN vs CMA, make your decision from that. You will not get what you expect as salary as a new CMA because you are starting at entry level.

Hi. I would like to know how hard it was for you to find a job afterm completing your MA program. I am looking into being a MA but I have found nothing but how hard it is to get a job after graduating. And of course the school I am looking into says it isnt hard at all. I need help please! Thank you!

CGoebel44 in Saint Charles, Missouri

58 months ago

TO: LVN in TX

All i can say is THANK YOU! I have been torn between MA and RN. I am 99% sure my mind is made up! I was going to go to a school where the 9 month MA was almost 13,000. Or I could go thru the Nursing Program at the Comm College for 2 years for less than that. Not going to lie, the making more money thing is a factor, but with the way things are nowadays it pretty much has to be. Thanks again!

58 months ago

Well i always wanted to be a nurse and plan on actually becoming on here in the near future i just want to do something right now because i'm a single parent. it's hard making a living on 8.00 an hour with a child but you do what you have to do in this world.
i did take the cna classes i just never finished because i got pregnant my senior year so it's been a bit of a struggle. what i am doing i know is benefiting me and pushing myself in the right direction..plus working in the hospital i get lots of advice from friends that are nurses and they told me to go and take the MA so i am not making just minimum wage and then go onto nursing school because the knowledge is beneficial to me.
thank you for all of your support and i am going to be a nurse!!

Cookie in Minster, Ohio

57 months ago

Michelle in Dumfries, Virginia said: I am really shocked at some of the responses on this site. It is very apparent that a lot of people commenting here are not aware of the laws from state to state as far as administering meds and or starting IV's. There are states that allow certified MA's to start IV's. They cannot push anesthetics, however they can start the IV. I make 19.00per hr. working in a surgical suite and the state I work in allows me to do many things that other states I have lived in do not.
My suggestion is to know all your facts before so matter of factly posting incorrect information. To all those wanting precise info, contact AAMT or AAMA for laws that apply in your particular state.

I wholeheartedly agree with you that people should know their facts before posting information. I have been a certified medical assistant for over 29years now and have been involved in state and national legislation matters of medical assistants for most of those 29 years. Just as Michelle stated, if you want precise info that is correct and factual contact AAMT or AAMA. There are no other organizations that you should be listening to when it comes to the rights and legalities of medical assisting.

57 months ago

i agree with you on that..people need to know the laws and everything from state to state. there are things that one state will let you do and the other won't. also i noticed that someone said that they can write prescriptions...that's not correct at all and whatever doctor is doing that should get fired forever. even an rn cannot write prescriptions unless they are a nurse practitioner. i bet the laws are totally different from country to country as well.
do you know if you have to take the test state to state or are you certified in the whole usa?

Islandluc in Pompano Beach, Florida

57 months ago

Nikki in Hollywood, Florida said: I was told that it is difficult to find a job as a LPN in Florida. Can anyone tell me the benefits of becoming an LPN over MA in Florida. I am scheduled to start an LPN program next month and i'm not sure if i'm making the right decision.

They are all over hollywood and Davie,FL. Check Davie town,Fl Education center.

turnerma in Auburn, Massachusetts

57 months ago

CHITWN27 in Tacoma, Washington said: I was wondering if there is any MA'S whom has previously worked or have worked in a pediatric office. If so please feel free to leave me any comments. I will be starting at a Pedicatric office tommorrow.

I have worked in pedi for 2 years now and do all the same things that that the nurses so if not more and don't get the pay I believe that ma's need to be treated as nurses so I have more classes than some of the lpn's do this ma program is very frustrating, some ma's I know went for 4m and I went for almost 2 years I believe the medical field needs to look hard at ma's and they qualities because if you take the right program and get certified you are equivilant if not more than an lpn very discouraging i basically have to go back to get a licence to get more money with classes I have alreayd taken.... ma is a crock and if you look at an lpn program compared to a true ma program you will be shocked in the amout of classes that an ma takes compared to lpn I had 7 more real classes

57 months ago

turnerma in Auburn, Massachusetts said: I have worked in pedi for 2 years now and do all the same things that that the nurses so if not more and don't get the pay I believe that ma's need to be treated as nurses so I have more classes than some of the lpn's do this ma program is very frustrating, some ma's I know went for 4m and I went for almost 2 years I believe the medical field needs to look hard at ma's and they qualities because if you take the right program and get certified you are equivilant if not more than an lpn very discouraging i basically have to go back to get a licence to get more money with classes I have alreayd taken.... ma is a crock and if you look at an lpn program compared to a true ma program you will be shocked in the amout of classes that an ma takes compared to lpn I had 7 more real classes

Turnerma--I think if you want to be called a nurse, then you need to complete nursing school to earn that title. I'm sorry, but as an ma, you have not the first idea of the responsibility of the nurse in the clinical setting. Just because you have learned to do office procedures, which anyone can learn, does not mean you understand the nursing process which is only taught to you in nursing school. I really get sick of ma's puting down lvn's because they "do the same thing" as the nurse does. It's just not the case. I was an ma before I became a nurse, and there is a huge difference between the two jobs. I would love to see an ma do my job as a visiting nurse and then tell me ma and lvn are the same.

57 months ago

I understand where you are coming from but i guess we have to agree to disagree. Being called a nurse isn't what I am looking for at all its being compensated for the work I do. I have read a lot of the entries on here and most people are from california..... I think over here in Mass it is a lot different. My responsibilities are the same as the NURSES I work with. They even agree but I am not putting down any nurse or their education. In fact all I have to complete is 2 nursing classes and micro to get my license. Also reading the pay that some lvn or lpn's are getting is even way lower than my hourly pay. So in all actuallity it comes down to where you live and the type of environment you
work in. I have heard of Medical Assistants making like $13-$15 dollars an hour that is way lower than what a CMA in a private office here. The Ma program is a waiste of time in the wrong school in the wrong state get in a good one and I guess its worth it. Maybe I don't have it as bad as I thought. The simple fact that you think that an Ma doing the same thing is putting you down is annoying you are suppose to work together as a team! And if they do do the same thing (AS THEY DO IN SOME SETTINGS NOT ALL) then it is the case. And the visiting nurse thing cna's do too so how is that any better. Every state is clearly different there are dr offices here who use ma's only. Like I said my intent was never to put anyone down just to express my experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

turnerma in Auburn, Massachusetts said: I understand where you are coming from but i guess we have to agree to disagree. Being called a nurse isn't what I am looking for at all its being compensated for the work I do. I have read a lot of the entries on here and most people are from california..... I think over here in Mass it is a lot different. My responsibilities are the same as the NURSES I work with. They even agree but I am not putting down any nurse or their education. In fact all I have to complete is 2 nursing classes and micro to get my license. Also reading the pay that some lvn or lpn's are getting is even way lower than my hourly pay. So in all actuallity it comes down to where you live and the type of environment you
work in. I have heard of Medical Assistants making like $13-$15 dollars an hour that is way lower than what a CMA in a private office here. The Ma program is a waiste of time in the wrong school in the wrong state get in a good one and I guess its worth it. Maybe I don't have it as bad as I thought. The simple fact that you think that an Ma doing the same thing is putting you down is annoying you are suppose to work together as a team! And if they do do the same thing (AS THEY DO IN SOME SETTINGS NOT ALL) then it is the case. And the visiting nurse thing cna's do too so how is that any better. Every state is clearly different there are dr offices here who use ma's only. Like I said my intent was never to put anyone down just to express my experience.

We will definatly have to agree to disagree. As a visiting nurse, you MUST be a SKILLED Nurse to make visits with patients. What I do is not the same work an ma or cna would do. I work hard and I studied hard to do what I do. I do think you are putting nurses down when you say you do the same job and should be paid the same. You have less education and less responsibility. Simple as that.

ccraisins in Fort White, Florida

57 months ago

I am currently a MA student. I live in FL and am taking courses through Keiser University. I believe I have already replied to this thread before, but want to reply to some newer posts.

Where I live, our community college does a 2 year RN program. I was in that before I became pregnant and dropped out due to health reasons. Now that I have my daughter to take care of, I had to go towards online education in order to get a degree now and better my families lives. Thankfully for me, all the classes I took towards my RN were transferred over towards my MA degree. I plan on finishing up my RN after I am working as an MA.
I have to say that the courses at took at our CC for RN were actually EASIER than the classes I am taking online for MA. I have only 4 weeks to complete what the RN students get 12 weeks to complete. Plus, I have on average 4 different projects due each week. That is way more curriculum than I ever had to turn in when I was going to nursing school. Plus, my MA will not be too bad because I have the opportunity to become certified for phlebotomy as well as X-ray tech. Depending on how my school/work load is, I am planning on getting certified for both.
I was going to just go in for my CNA, but my mother worked as one for 30 years and advised me not too. She said that you do much more PHYSICAL work than the RN's, and the Rn's usually end up having a snotty attitude towards you. I understand there is more school behind being an RN, but I believe my mother, working 30 yrs as a CNA, knows more than the average RN student just out of college or under 10 yrs experience.
I understand I am not going to get rich being a Medical Assistant. But I do know that it was an option available to me that I could work with right now. Plus it gives me knowledge and experience that I will take with me when I advance in the medical field. I am only 24 years old, and believe everyone has to start out somewhere. I just want to help people, and be good at what I do.

57 months ago

The truth is that in many areas, MAs actually are able to do more than LPNs because they do have more education in many other areas in addition to nursing; and the various State Scopes of Practice are broader for MAs. Many Medical Assistant programs are 2 years, while LPNs program are one. MAs are Ambulatory Care Specialists. LPNs are trained in Acute Care and Rehab. They are different professions for which many things, but not all overlap. For comparison check out the Bureau of Labor Statistics at bls.gov to see the breakdown of duties and education for each profession. It's true that when Medical Assisting was in its infancy, the procedures they performed were minimal. Since then however, the profession has evolved through the efforts of AAMA and AMT.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

Sorry, I made a mistake on the link for the above information. It should be: online.onetcenter.org/

57 months ago

You are right about people not understanding the amout of education that SOME!! Ma programs offer. Its funny because we sat down at work and looked at the classes that I took and the amount of work and clinical hours I put in and the RN's were amazed! and you get to work as an ma and you can experience credits I got to test out of 3 classes due to my experience and knowledge for it. I have 4 kids so I did the same thing to get working and now I am only 6 months away from an rn licence due to all the classes I took and test. Which you can do too when you are ready. Let me tell you you will not become rich being an ma but you can have a great income if you get into the right place I am doing VERY VERy well in fact my sister who graduated in may as an RN makes less an hour than I do!! Now she is fresh out of school but its all in what you bring to the company! Good Luck

Reese in Hinesville, Georgia

57 months ago

I am a medical assistant for 2 yrs now and as far as I see there is more avenues to explore than LPN for example, I do billing and coding and clinical for my Doctor and that is just as import as other jobs that most LPN's know nothing about billing and coding. I feel that the LPN only makes more money due to having a license. I rather have a degree over a diploma in the long run because going administrative in the long run guarantees more pay and still having an 8 to 5 as well, versus working as LPN 12 hr shifts or whatever yea they gonna make more but they are doing more hands on with patients. I feel like if you are looking to get paid more quickly then do LPN but in the long run to make more you will have to go back for RN and being an associates degree medical assistant your degree will help you tranfer in to a four yr degree possibly to be in healthcare management or something that is usually 40000 plus salary in my area.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Reese in Hinesville, Georgia

57 months ago

skilpn in Lake Elsinore, California said: Turnerma--I think if you want to be called a nurse, then you need to complete nursing school to earn that title. I'm sorry, but as an ma, you have not the first idea of the responsibility of the nurse in the clinical setting. Just because you have learned to do office procedures, which anyone can learn, does not mean you understand the nursing process which is only taught to you in nursing school. I really get sick of ma's puting down lvn's because they "do the same thing" as the nurse does. It's just not the case. I was an ma before I became a nurse, and there is a huge difference between the two jobs. I would love to see an ma do my job as a visiting nurse and then tell me ma and lvn are the same.

You have a point....the jobs are totally different in the fact you have more clinical training, but the down side is the job is 100% clinical which makes it hard to incline on that level which means you can be lpn for yrs unless u go for RN versus being ma you start out less pay (but I tell my pay increased quickly) but you can go everywhere for instance from ma to medical biller or ma to lpn or in my case Im working on going from ma to health care manager so with u being lpn Im just a ma that can get a bs degree and potentially become your boss!!! That means Im over you but you know more clinical, and the key is to be healthcare manager you have to know parts of a whole not just one part and being lpn most of the time you only know one part but its ups and down to it all but someone has to do your job and my job right?

LVN in Willis, Texas

57 months ago

LVN-starting pay twenty-twenty-give/hr, NEW GRAD--TEXAS (1 year of school)(It will take a lifetime of MA exp to reach this)

ADN/RN---that's an RN with an Associates of Applied Sciences (1 more year, that's two total)
starting pay thirty to thiry-five/hr, NEW GRAD--TEXAS (No MA, will ever reach this salary)
Go to the Board of Labor and Statistics for your state, check it out for yourself.......

BSN/RN---that's a Bachelors of Science, RN (Forget about it, two MA's salaries cannot compete here)
starting pay forty-five to fifty-five/hr, NEW GRAD--TEXAS

MSN/RN---that's a Master's of Science, RN (Do I even have to say anymore...)
starting pay sixty-five to seventy-five/hr, NEW GRAD--TEXAS
It's just a numbers thing for me....that's all.
Remeber that in Texas you can go all the way to BSN, two years a local community college seven grand, then around three to four more grand to reach this level,BSN)
what's the total, nine to ten thousand dollars.......now I personally know a few MA's and they all spent way more than that...and will never earn a wage comparable...Education is an investment...invest wisely for yourself and your family.
Now will someone please post the tuition for their MA programs......

hope in San Mateo, California

57 months ago

hi there guys, what is the differences between medical assistant and the certified?and the nurse assistant?do they go to same classes?for same period? and how long the lvn should go to school for? thanks alot.

Kat in Arlington, Texas

57 months ago

Reese in Hinesville, Georgia said: You have a point....the jobs are totally different in the fact you have more clinical training, but the down side is the job is 100% clinical which makes it hard to incline on that level which means you can be lpn for yrs unless u go for RN versus being ma you start out less pay (but I tell my pay increased quickly) but you can go everywhere for instance from ma to medical biller or ma to lpn or in my case Im working on going from ma to health care manager so with u being lpn Im just a ma that can get a bs degree and potentially become your boss!!! That means Im over you but you know more clinical, and the key is to be healthcare manager you have to know parts of a whole not just one part and being lpn most of the time you only know one part but its ups and down to it all but someone has to do your job and my job right?

The only person who can clinically manage and supervise aka "be the boss" of other nurses, is another nurse, usually an RN with a Bachelor's or Master's degree. In hospitals and skilled nursing there are Director's of Nursing (DON), Assistant Director's of Nursing (ADON), Nurse Managers, Chief Nursing Officers. All those positions require a nursing license. As an LPN you can transition to RN by skipping the first year of the two year program if you have done prerequisites. An MA would have to complete the full two years of the RN program because they do not have the nursing courses like an LPN.

ccraisins in Live Oak, Florida

57 months ago

turnerma in Auburn, Massachusetts said: You are right about people not understanding the amout of education that SOME!! Ma programs offer. Its funny because we sat down at work and looked at the classes that I took and the amount of work and clinical hours I put in and the RN's were amazed! and you get to work as an ma and you can experience credits I got to test out of 3 classes due to my experience and knowledge for it. I have 4 kids so I did the same thing to get working and now I am only 6 months away from an rn licence due to all the classes I took and test. Which you can do too when you are ready. Let me tell you you will not become rich being an ma but you can have a great income if you get into the right place I am doing VERY VERy well in fact my sister who graduated in may as an RN makes less an hour than I do!! Now she is fresh out of school but its all in what you bring to the company! Good Luck

For my MA program I have to complete a total of 440 hours of externship. My school has it split up with 3 months @ 40hrs a month, and 2 months @ a week. The sites that I have contacted about me completing this with them said that they have never heard of 5 months of externship, but would consider letting me work for them. After all, it's 5 months of free labor for them. It's going to be hard having the gas money to get to work for no pay, but I know it is beneficial (an mandatory in order for me to graduate), and I was told that I can still use that as work experience on my resume when I do graduate. This will help considering most MA ads I have seen say they want experience only. I might not have the length they require, but I will still fax them my resume for them to look over, because you never know.
Also, I have 55 pages of paperwork that my extern-site has to fill out saying that I have dimonstrated on patients all of the different requirments. If I don't finish them up in the 5 months, then I have to stay in the externship till they are.

ccraisins in Live Oak, Florida

57 months ago

Oh yeah, I just want to say that I understand how important a good paying job is in todays world. But I've always been taught by my mother that if you're going to be in the medical field, you CANNOT do it for the money. Your main goal has to be to help people and make a difference. Otherwise you will end up feeling used and underpaid. Some people get lucky and snag high paying jobs. But there are many nurses, lpns, cnas, and ma's who work in low income communities and do not get paid squat, yet still do an outstanding job regardless. I want to make an income and be able to take care of my family, but if my paycheck isn't as fat as Sally RN, I'm not going to be disapointed. Besides, I like to think when I get out in the work world I will be just as good if not better than the more elite Rns. If you put a smile on your patients face, and you do your best to help people, than you are sucessful in my eyes. I've seen many nurses with crappy attitudes. You cannot make patients feel more comfortable if you don't have a nice bedside manner. An RN that walks in the office feeling hollier than thou is not a good RN.

57 months ago

Reese in Hinesville, Georgia said: You have a point....the jobs are totally different in the fact you have more clinical training, but the down side is the job is 100% clinical which makes it hard to incline on that level which means you can be lpn for yrs unless u go for RN versus being ma you start out less pay (but I tell my pay increased quickly) but you can go everywhere for instance from ma to medical biller or ma to lpn or in my case Im working on going from ma to health care manager so with u being lpn Im just a ma that can get a bs degree and potentially become your boss!!! That means Im over you but you know more clinical, and the key is to be healthcare manager you have to know parts of a whole not just one part and being lpn most of the time you only know one part but its ups and down to it all but someone has to do your job and my job right?

There are many different things you can do with an LVN/LPN license. Being a nurse gives you much more job flexability than an MA. I am an LVN and work as a school nurse during the school year and a visiting nurse during my summer breaks. There are so many ways to work as nurse. I can assure you I know more than just "one part" of my job.

57 months ago

Reese in Hinesville, Georgia said: I am a medical assistant for 2 yrs now and as far as I see there is more avenues to explore than LPN for example, I do billing and coding and clinical for my Doctor and that is just as import as other jobs that most LPN's know nothing about billing and coding. I feel that the LPN only makes more money due to having a license. I rather have a degree over a diploma in the long run because going administrative in the long run guarantees more pay and still having an 8 to 5 as well, versus working as LPN 12 hr shifts or whatever yea they gonna make more but they are doing more hands on with patients. I feel like if you are looking to get paid more quickly then do LPN but in the long run to make more you will have to go back for RN and being an associates degree medical assistant your degree will help you tranfer in to a four yr degree possibly to be in healthcare management or something that is usually 40000 plus salary in my area.

You make my point... LVN and MA are totally different jobs. Why are MA's always trying to compare the two? This site is to answer questions about the MA's job, not to complain and compare nurses and MA's.

Page:  « First « Previous   4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.