Medical Assistant

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (22)

nettie in Honolulu, Hawaii

77 months ago

I think that going to school getting an aas in medical assisting is first step to succeeding. Although getting cma and rma is wonderful too. but, I found out that most healtcare providers want work experience 1years the least. so hang in there and keep pursuing your dream.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Hannah in Sarasota, Florida

77 months ago

what is an aas?

Fatima in Germantown, Maryland

76 months ago

A nurse with a BSN IS more qualiied than a nurse with an RN they went to school for two more years! Do you think people continued their education just for the fun of it? No MA's with an AAS are more qualified because they are a little more educated

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Undecided in Eugene, Oregon

76 months ago

Fatima in Germantown, Maryland said: A nurse with a BSN IS more qualiied than a nurse with an RN they went to school for two more years! Do you think people continued their education just for the fun of it? No MA's with an AAS are more qualified because they are a little more educated

Nurses with BSNs have the SAME QUALIFICATIONS as those with ASN/ADNs. They BOTH take the e act same licensing test: the NCLEX-RN. They hold the same entry level positions and are usually paid the same wage. The only advantage with having a BSN is that you are prepared for MANAGEMENT positions. BSNs and ASNs have the same clinical skills.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Undecided in Eugene, Oregon

76 months ago

An ASN and a BSN are both RNs just like a CMA is a CMA whether they have an associate degree or a certificate.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Ms. Lurker LVN, RMA in Elk Grove, California

76 months ago

Fatima in Germantown, Maryland said: A nurse with a BSN IS more qualiied than a nurse with an RN they went to school for two more years! Do you think people continued their education just for the fun of it? No MA's with an AAS are more qualified because they are a little more educated

Sorry, but this is misinformation. A BSN and an ADN are BOTH RNs and have the same clinical skills and qualifications. With medical assistants, CMAs (and RMAs) have the same clinical skills regardless of whether they graduate with a certificate or degree.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Confused in Southgate, Michigan

76 months ago

I recently decided I wanted to change my program and go into medical assisting. My biggest dilema now is if I should stay where I'm at for an Associates that is not accredited by the CAAHEP or ABHES, or switch to a community college that only offers a certificate but is accredited by the CAAHEP. Oh ya, or choose an online school which is accredited, but not by the CAAHEP or ABHES. I'm so lost, please help!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Moya in Thornton, Illinois

76 months ago

what's the starting salary for certified mas working in doctors' offices?

does it matter if a MA works at the front desk or doing clinical work?

Thanks in advance for the info.

Aaliyah in Lanham, Maryland

76 months ago

I just graduated with aas in medical assisting
Where do I go from there
No jobs are calling me back and I am getting fustrated

Ramona in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

76 months ago

Confused in Southgate, Michigan said: I recently decided I wanted to change my program and go into medical assisting. My biggest dilema now is if I should stay where I'm at for an Associates that is not accredited by the CAAHEP or ABHES, or switch to a community college that only offers a certificate but is accredited by the CAAHEP. Oh ya, or choose an online school which is accredited, but not by the CAAHEP or ABHES. I'm so lost, please help!

Eventually it will be required to be Certified in order to work as an MA. Go for the Community College with CAAHEP accreditation.

Ramona in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

76 months ago

Moya in Thornton, Illinois said: what's the starting salary for certified mas working in doctors' offices?

does it matter if a MA works at the front desk or doing clinical work?

Thanks in advance for the info.

The 2007 median salary for MAs in Illinois was $ 13.50/hr. Starting salary would probably be slightly less. According to salary surveys done by AAMA, increases average 5% year.

76 months ago

I dont really know, but in maryland and dc the starting pay is 15.00-19.00 at the most i seen and the lowest i seen was 13.00
but i have been applying everywhere and no jobs called me yet, i keep getting you have to be experienced for 6 months or 1years. HOW DO YOU GET EXPERIENCE IF YOU ARE JUST GRADUATING

76 months ago

I just dont get it, It seems like its all on who you know in this world, I am very qualified to be a medical assistant but no one calling me for jobs :(

76 months ago

But honestly, I think MA make the same amount front desk or clinical

76 months ago

Honestly it doesn't matter because where ever you go you still gonna need the certificate unless you are a new graduate. If would go to a community college because it's cheaper and affordable, those private jr colleges are very expensive like 20,000+ you will have in loans. Its up to you

moya in Thornton, Illinois

76 months ago

that's true, i'm surprised they don't have an internship with the programs. and yes, i totally agree with you 100% about these private jr colleges.

76 months ago

I did intern but they didnt keep me all of these jobs are telling me you have to hav3 6 months experience

damarley in Hollywood, Florida

64 months ago

i graduated the top of my class as medical assistant and i put oup apps and they keep telling me 1 yr experience or bilingual. how will they know about the skills we have if they dont give us a chance to gain experience. i should have gone for something else i didnt know it would have been so hard to get a job here in miami as a medical assistant and some places wanna start at 9 and 10 box an hour. isnt that rediculous

SBuckman16 in Walnut Creek, California

45 months ago

Aaliyah in Lanham, Maryland said: I just graduated with aas in medical assisting
Where do I go from there
No jobs are calling me back and I am getting fustrated

I have had the same issue. I graduated at the top of my class with 4 deans list achievements from Heald College, and still I am not getting hired because of no "experience". Every one eants 2-4 years before they will hire you. I have even tried volunteering just to get the experience they wanted, but then I was told I would be a liability.

SBuckman16 in Walnut Creek, California

45 months ago

Hannah in Sarasota, Florida said: what is an aas?

associates degree in applied science

Mom4 in Murrieta, California

41 months ago

I am going to be taking a course in Medical Assistant-Administratio, but i'm very confused. What will b the best choice ($$$$) Medical Assistant-Clinical or Med.Assi.-Admin? What pays more and what's more in demand, HELP PLEASE???? Need to make a decision! or even medical billing & coding?

Matt, NCMA in Van Alstyne, Texas

41 months ago

Mom4 in Murrieta, California said: I am going to be taking a course in Medical Assistant-Administratio, but i'm very confused. What will b the best choice ($$$$) Medical Assistant-Clinical or Med.Assi.-Admin? What pays more and what's more in demand, HELP PLEASE???? Need to make a decision! or even medical billing & coding?

Hi, They're all good. To let you know that jobs are really hard to come by, even for new graduates. Why don't you try being a CNA first to see if you really want to work in the medical field. That way you won't be owing any student loans. I wish you the best of luck, and Merry Christmas...

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.