Must have 1 year experience and speak Spanish

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (11)

MikeUSAF in Chatsworth, California

11 months ago

I just completed my 160 hours externship for medical assistant. No openings at my externship cite. Everywhere you look on line for jobs they either want you to have at least 1 year of experience and also here in Los Angeles everyone wants you to speak fluent Spanish which I do not.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

beginagainla in Bakersfield, California

11 months ago

They should tell students that before taking their tuition. Good luck, Mike. Just curious if your class was mostly women.

11 months ago

beginagainla in Bakersfield, California said: They should tell students that before taking their tuition. Good luck, Mike. Just curious if your class was mostly women.

Yes. There was myself and another guy. I am almost 53 and he is 56.

11 months ago

I ran into a very pretty Hispanic woman in her 20s about a year ago who had been out of school for 2 years and could not find employment. She stated that no one would hire her because she did not have any experience. She graduated from one of those private career colleges.

In her case, it was not enough to know Spanish, be young, and have that certificate. She also needed to have work experience -- the classic Catch-22.

Age discrimination is rampant right now in all fields. If you have a choice between a 53- or 56-year-old with no experience vs. a 23- or 26-year-old, who is the most desirable candidate? I find this subject interesting because I'm considering retraining in the health care field, but your situation scares me.

11 months ago

beginagainla in Bakersfield, California said: I ran into a very pretty Hispanic woman in her 20s about a year ago who had been out of school for 2 years and could not find employment. She stated that no one would hire her because she did not have any experience. She graduated from one of those private career colleges.

In her case, it was not enough to know Spanish, be young, and have that certificate. She also needed to have work experience -- the classic Catch-22.

Age discrimination is rampant right now in all fields. If you have a choice between a 53- or 56-year-old with no experience vs. a 23- or 26-year-old, who is the most desirable candidate? I find this subject interesting because I'm considering retraining in the health care field, but your situation scares me.

My hair use to be light brown instead of 75% gray. That is why I use just for men so I look about 10 years younger. Sometimes you have to try something because some people will not want to hire people who look older than 40 or 50 as medical assistants.

The one thing about us people in our early 50's then those in their 20s is that we will always show up on time and not play on our cell phones or be texting boyfriend or girlfriends. Also older patients can relate better to us.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

11 months ago

MikeUSAF in Chatsworth, California said: Also older patients can relate better to us.

Absolutely to everything you just said. I wish employers could embrace mature workers and understand that their customers/clients/patients would consider mature staff an asset for the reasons you expressed and more.

My husband is completely grey and sexy as hell. However, he has a job he's been at forever, so he can look as he wishes. I'm in my early 40s, and I too am having to color my hair more often than I wish because it's more taboo for a woman to have grey than a man....so I hear.

The Spanish thing is for all professions it seems now, especially medical. I've seen Asian and African-American doctors speaking fluent Spanish over the years to Spanish patients. It's pretty impressive, but even doctors, it seems, have to battle the language thing.

11 months ago

But it does not make it right that we have to speak Spanish in our own country

11 months ago

We're in Southern California. There really is no incentive to speak English here. It doesn't seem like it will change anytime soon. In fact, it will probably get worse. We can complain about it, but no one's listening. Majority rules, and if you look at the census numbers, you'll see what I mean.

For those of us who don't speak Spanish, it means fewer job opportunities. I've exhausted myself complaining about it and just now accept that this is the way it is. It's not racist to discuss reality. The reality is that bilingual workers are in more demand.

11 months ago

Even if I took a Spanish for health care workers that still does not make me bilingual.

Providers should go by how well you do your job as a Medical Assistant and hire new grads. They could train them their way.

Patients who speak Spanish should bring in someone who speaks Spanish.

11 months ago

MikeUSAF in Chatsworth, California said: Even if I took a Spanish for health care workers that still does not make me bilingual.

Providers should go by how well you do your job as a Medical Assistant and hire new grads. They could train them their way.

Patients who speak Spanish should bring in someone who speaks Spanish.

^ Agreed. I'm adjusting my outlook, however, to what IS -- not what should be...as much as I can. Otherwise, I will walk around full of resentment, and that might come through on my interviews. We are on the same page.

11 months ago

Are there any MA positions where you live? Which program did you go to?

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.