Problems faced by Medical Assistant

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 164)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

celestial_kel in North Carolina

67 months ago

Shelah B in Toledo, Ohio said: Celestial: I have worked with some great MA's. It took me 9 months and 90 interviews to find one who was seriously interested in quality patient care and good outcomes, but she is awesome! If you apply yourself and are serious about your career choice, you will make a great MA. Finish the MA, work within the field and go back and get your RN degree. Its easier going thru RN school when you have a medical background already. Some advice: when you do your externship, pick an urgent care if you can. Very beneficial if you plan on working clinical and not clerical! Good luck and best wishes!

thank you so much for the helpful advice! I defenitely want clinical work because I do NOT like clerical work at all! I love people and would much rather do "hands on" than any other kind of work! I haven't even thought of urgent care until you suggested it, but I think that's a good idea!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

lynn

67 months ago

Shelah Bechtel in Toledo, Ohio said: I agree with you. I currently have 5 MA's working for a practice I manage. They have anywhere from 2 t 12 years of "work experience". They arrive to work late. Have to be told more than once what to do and how to do it. They do not seem to possess good critical thinking skills. For example:
We recently had a pt who was having a MI after his doctor's appt and was sitting in the lobby. The MA at the desk (12 years of work experience) did not know how to call 911. 2 clinical MA's put their coats on to go to lunch and walked past this pt who was with a nurse and physician, not bothering to offer assistance.
The second pt c/o chest pain. The MA did not alert the physician, get a full set of vitals, do an EKG, ect. The physician walked into the room 20 minutes later and saw the subjective complaint the MA had written "Chest pain. 9/10 pain. mid-chest". The pt had a dissecting aorta and survived.
3 MA's are contingent and asking for full-time positions... with the work ethics and training as above.
I would gladly hire a MA anyday (having previously been a MA for 10 years prior to getting my RN degree), but I need those who are willing to work.

Hi Shelia,

I am currrently a registered medical assistant with 22 years experience, 4 years prior as a CNA. I have worked pulmonary,cardiology,rheumatology, and several other scopes of practice of the medical field. I am currently working full time in an urgent care setting while attending school full time to get into RN School. I work as a NURSE in the urgent care I do not do Clerical duties; I place IV's Push meds, do injections, do assesments of patients in distress and have saved many many lives. All I have seen on this site thus far is how unqualified we are, how lazy, or unethical some of us may be. I would like to say that NOT ALL OF US ARE THAT WAY !!! that is completely sterotypical and how OUR titles get a bad rap in the medical community....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

lynn said: Hi Shelia,

I am currrently a registered medical assistant with 22 years experience, 4 years prior as a CNA. I have worked pulmonary,cardiology,rheumatology, and several other scopes of practice of the medical field. I am currently working full time in an urgent care setting while attending school full time to get into RN School. I work as a NURSE in the urgent care I do not do Clerical duties; I place IV's Push meds, do injections, do assesments of patients in distress and have saved many many lives. All I have seen on this site thus far is how unqualified we are, how lazy, or unethical some of us may be. I would like to say that NOT ALL OF US ARE THAT WAY !!! that is completely sterotypical and how OUR titles get a bad rap in the medical community....

Are medical assistans allowed to start IV's? I thought that only RN's could do that....just curious!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Brenda in Seymour, Tennessee

67 months ago

I am studing for the NET exam for the (nursing exam) - do anyone have any ideal on the lastes with this test...are give me some info on how long/what is the test is base on.

Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

HWhite

67 months ago

No... it isn't honey... if I were you... I would just apply to RN school and take your time to finish... if you can get a loan for MA school just use that same info and go get your AA in nursing at a 2yr community college... trust me! I have been a MA for 14yrs and I have seen it go down the drain... there are NO JOBS... that girl in Oregon might have some luck because its not a big city.... but I have lived in 6 states... I now live in Atlanta and trust me there aren't any jobs... every job pretty much comes from a staffing agency and every job you apply for.. They get between 500 to 1000 resumes for the same position... a friend of mines works for Atlanta staffing and he told me that its too many MA's and not enough job's so good luck... but I would suggest going back school... that's what I'm doing right now and I'll be done soon.... take care!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Shelah B in Toledo, Ohio

67 months ago

lynn said: Hi Shelia,

Hello Lynn,
I did not mean to offend if the email did so. I was explaining what I have been running in trying to hire a competent MA. I do not believe that all MA's are incompetent. I truly believe that some should have gone to RN school if not further as their ability to take care of pts and have critical thinking skills is valuable. However, the majority of MA's I have seen in the past 8 years leave alot to be desired... which is sad. A lot of the problem is the schools that feel they can kick out a fully competent MA in 9 months... how does one learn disease process, medical terminology, pharmacology, pathophysiology, anatomy and physiciolgy, CPT/ICD coding, ect in that amount of time???
I was proud to say I was an MA (when I was one) and proud to be an RN who will be graduating this May and entering medical school. I will never put another person down and do not feel that initials behind a name make you better than someone else... however, it does reflect on the amount of training and education you have subjected yourself to. :o)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

lynn

67 months ago

Shelah B in Toledo, Ohio said: Per the law: MA's are not allowed to: start IV's or push IV medications (only professionals that are certified or licensed to do so are allowed); independently diagnose or treat patients; assess, plan and evaluate pts or their care; perform arterial punctures; independently provide medical treatment, analyze test results, advise pts of their condition or treatment regimen, or perform medical care decision making; administer any anesthetic agen; independently prescribe or refill medications; practice physical therapy; or do clinical skills which require health professional licensure. I don't set the laws. The states medical boards do though.
It is also against the law to state you are a "Nurse" if you are not licensed as such.

Actually It is allowed for medical assistants to start IV's As long as you are certified to do so and have attended a certification class. I do not call my self Nurse all the doctors, 5 of them PA's x3 and all of my patients as well as nursing supervisior who is also a RMA due to the fact that Thats the job discription in which I hold. I do everything in my scope of practice that a nurse does. As far as pushing meds, As I have seen over and over again, yes as prev stated we do currently work under our physicians licence, therefore we do everything they feel comfortable allowing us to do. Not all MA's are allowed to do this, however the ones that have proven themselves and have taken all the necessary required medication exams and such in our particular office, we are or at least I am and a few more of us as well are allowed to push meds, assess patients, and run codes. truth be told in all the clinics I have wroked at in the years I have been doing this job and in several states as well this is the norm for most practices.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Shelah B in Toledo, Ohio

67 months ago

Wow. Do you live in Ohio? I pulled up the laws for the state of Ohio just this week as I am hiring for my office. This state does not allow IV's by MA's or IV medication administration even under a licensed physician. How does an MA become certified to start IV's and administer IV meds? I have never seen this and would like to check it out for the hospital I work for now.
I also have never seen a MA run a code or assess a pt... that is part of nursing care that is not allowed to be practiced by someone who is not licensed as an RN, per the OBN under the Revised Ohio Code.
I thought I knew it all when I was an MA and found out differently after getting my RN degree. However, maybe its due to the training too... but my MA degree was an associates degree at one of the top schools.
I am not criticizing you, but I also learned a lot more in RN school than I thought I would even after practicing as an MA in an urgent care and private practice. Respectfully!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

lynn

67 months ago

Shelah B in Toledo, Ohio said: Hello Lynn,
I did not mean to offend if the email did so. I was explaining what I have been running in trying to hire a competent MA. I do not believe that all MA's are incompetent. I truly believe that some should have gone to RN school if not further as their ability to take care of pts and have critical thinking skills is valuable. However, the majority of MA's I have seen in the past 8 years leave alot to be desired... which is sad. A lot of the problem is the schools that feel they can kick out a fully competent MA in 9 months... how does one learn disease process, medical terminology, pharmacology, pathophysiology, anatomy and physiciolgy, CPT/ICD coding, ect in that amount of time???
I was proud to say I was an MA (when I was one) and proud to be an RN who will be graduating this May and entering medical school. I will never put another person down and do not feel that initials behind a name make you better than someone else... however, it does reflect on the amount of training and education you have subjected yourself to. :o)

Thank you I appreciate that. I actually just found this site and I could not believe the bickering of so called medical professionals who are trying to decide who is the best ,as far as titles go. I don't care whatthe title is of the person in which I would deal with as a patient in the medical community, but the quality ,knowledge and professionalism of the person that is caring for me. As a medical professsional we all have to work together for the good of the patient and it shouldn't matter who is what. This is my thoughts alone so I hope this dosen't start another bickering match ladies, in which we are all suspose to be grown and be allowed to have an opinion without being chastized or belittled for. Shelia, I think it is great that you took the time to write me back , no offense taken, lots of luck with school, and congrats on medical school.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

lynn

67 months ago

As far as the Net exam, you can purchase a study guide online as well as your college book store and it will give you ideas of everything that will be on the exam.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

marie in Aurora, Colorado

67 months ago

nikki j. in Jeffersonville, Georgia said: yes i too finish medical assistant program and i have not find a job.

nikki j. ad an "ed" to your "finish", as you are using the word in the past tense, Comma after the "too",
"found" instead of "find", as you are using it in your sentence...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

marie in Aurora, Colorado

67 months ago

Shelah Bechtel in Toledo, Ohio said: I agree with you. I currently have 5 MA's working for a practice I manage. They have anywhere from 2 t 12 years of "work experience". They arrive to work late. Have to be told more than once what to do and how to do it. They do not seem to possess good critical thinking skills. For example:
We recently had a pt who was having a MI after his doctor's appt and was sitting in the lobby. The MA at the desk (12 years of work experience) did not know how to call 911. 2 clinical MA's put their coats on to go to lunch and walked past this pt who was with a nurse and physician, not bothering to offer assistance.
The second pt c/o chest pain. The MA did not alert the physician, get a full set of vitals, do an EKG, ect. The physician walked into the room 20 minutes later and saw the subjective complaint the MA had written "Chest pain. 9/10 pain. mid-chest". The pt had a dissecting aorta and survived.
3 MA's are contingent and asking for full-time positions... with the work ethics and training as above.
I would gladly hire a MA anyday (having previously been a MA for 10 years prior to getting my RN degree), but I need those who are willing to work.

Sounds like everyone is burned-out or just plain unqualified for the MA positions they hold. In a situation which you've just described, Management must be held accountable as well, as much as that may hurt. It all starts at the top. The MAs behavior is selfish and immature. Why is management putting up that?

Sara in Des Moines, Iowa

66 months ago

CaliCNA in Alhambra, California said: I completely agree. MAs, certified or not, aren't nurses, no way. That is why they shouldn't be able to take the boards. I work in a assisted living facility and we have a couple MAs who call themselves "nurses." it really bothers the R.N.s.......

It would really both me if a nurse claimed she could do my job as a CMA as well...I am willing to bed you don't know how to perform an EKG, take Xray's, test leb specimens or perform phlebotomy

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

pls134 in Medford, Oregon

66 months ago

Actually some MA's do know how to perform EKG, and test lab specimens and do phlebotomy at least at my work we do. I am not saying MA's are like nurses in anyway, since I am attending school to get my RN degree, there is alot more education required to be a nurse.

Shelah B in Toledo, Ohio

66 months ago

marie in Aurora, Colorado said: Sounds like everyone is burned-out or just plain unqualified for the MA positions they hold. In a situation which you've just described, Management must be held accountable as well, as much as that may hurt. It all starts at the top. The MAs behavior is selfish and immature. Why is management putting up that?

Management is not putting up with the behavior, but any more before you can fire someone (even though everyone is legaly employed at will), you have to go through the process and paperwork to get there.
I managed an LPN that did not follow policy and gave the wrong medication to a pregnant female. It took 2 years before the organization would allow me to fire her before she hurt someone else.
The bigger the organization the harder it is.

Shelah B in Toledo, Ohio

66 months ago

pls134 in Medford, Oregon said: Actually some MA's do know how to perform EKG, and test lab specimens and do phlebotomy at least at my work we do. I am not saying MA's are like nurses in anyway, since I am attending school to get my RN degree, there is alot more education required to be a nurse.

I agree pls134. I know several MA's who can perform an EKG, but I also know several RN's who perform their own as well. MA's can be certified in phlebotomy and draw blood. RN's draw blood as well as they can draw blood off an IV stick.
It all depends on your training. There is a big difference between a 9 month diploma and a 2 year associates degree for Medical Assisting.

Jennifer in Sanford, North Carolina

66 months ago

Hey CaliCNA I was just wondering what do the MAs at your job do? I don't know any MAs who works in an assisted living home. I very interested to know...

Susan in Clarksville, Tennessee

66 months ago

Ally Spears in East Haven, Connecticut said: I have been out for school of MA since dec 2007 had a 160 hr externship and I have applied ever where here in CT and gone on interviews and they all say the same thing I dont have enough experience and at my school career dept says to apply for medical office If I wanted that kind of job I would have gone toschool for that

I am very depressed that I cant find a job I know I can do this job being a MA I just need to be given a chance

If you are certified then you sis go to school for the Administrative part of it. You should stay open to getting hired as an administrative assistant then you would have your foot in the door to prove your medical abilities.

Not sure about anywhere else but jobs are abundant here in TN

66 months ago

I was wondering what everyone else thinks about their job? I am so excited to begin my training I have done so much research and it was a toss up between Medical Assistant and Dental Assistant. Has anyone else became a RN after completing this training? Has anyone else became a MA later in life...I am 41.

My decision to do this is because I was driving over the Buckman bridge in Florida and a man on a motor cycle was hit by a car going about 70mph and nobody stopped to help this man, I had to have been sitting and holding his head for about 10 minutes...so it seemed time kinda stood still for me at that moment. Then a Dr finally stopped and then nurses came then the ambulance but I felt compelled to help.

Anyone else have a moment like this?

pls134 in Medford, Oregon

66 months ago

Yep I was 42 when I became an MA. I wanted to be an MA first to see if I liked it before I continued with more schooling to receive my RN.

mysty in Hackettstown, New Jersey

66 months ago

Susan in Clarksville, Tennessee said: I was wondering what everyone else thinks about their job? I am so excited to begin my training I have done so much research and it was a toss up between Medical Assistant and Dental Assistant. Has anyone else became a RN after completing this training? Has anyone else became a MA later in life...I am 41.

My decision to do this is because I was driving over the Buckman bridge in Florida and a man on a motor cycle was hit by a car going about 70mph and nobody stopped to help this man, I had to have been sitting and holding his head for about 10 minutes...so it seemed time kinda stood still for me at that moment. Then a Dr finally stopped and then nurses came then the ambulance but I felt compelled to help.

Actually, if you are an MA you should stop and help and I don't know of any person who wouldn't.

66 months ago

mysty in Hackettstown, New Jersey said: Actually, if you are an MA you should stop and help and I don't know of any person who wouldn't.

I was not a medical assistant if you read above I am just starting my training that moment is what made me want to do this.

Shelah in Toledo, Ohio

66 months ago

Susan in Clarksville, Tennessee said: I was wondering what everyone else thinks about their job? I am so excited to begin my training I have done so much research and it was a toss up between Medical Assistant and Dental Assistant. Has anyone else became a RN after completing this training? Has anyone else became a MA later in life...I am 41.

Yes, I had a moment like this. I obtained my RMA degree and practiced as such for 10 years. Went back to school and received my RN degree while working full-time plus and having 2 small children. I will graduate in 3 weeks after 7 years of pre-med classes. I enter med school in Fall of 2011 and will be 43. You can do whatever u want to do at any age in life. Follow your gut instinct! It sounds like you already are! Good Luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

heather in Bend, Oregon

65 months ago

You have obviously hired a the wrong MA's. Because I'm a medical assistant and would never do such a thing. In fact if i were to walk out for lunch through the waiting room, i always look up and see what is going on and say hi to people. So i wouldn't of left and not evaluated the situation or gotten a doctor.

heather in Bend, Oregon

65 months ago

You have obviously hired a the wrong MA's. Because I'm a medical assistant and would never do such a thing. In fact if i were to walk out for lunch through the waiting room, i always look up and see what is going on and say hi to people. So i wouldn't of left and not evaluated the situation or gotten a doctor.
You also should take in consideration the pay is not all that great, and we can do just as much if not more sometimes as an RN or LPN and make half the pay!!!! You get what you pay for

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Cherry in Wichita, Kansas

65 months ago

nikki j. in Jeffersonville, Georgia said: yes i too finish medical assistant program and i have not find a job.

I am a registered medical assistant and there just doesn't seem to be any jobs any where for me.

rolltideroll6969 in Clarksville, Tennessee

65 months ago

you should have went to a school that was certified with the AAMA because very seldom do Doctors hire a registered MA you need to be certified with a degree.

nyam2008 in Grand Rapids, Michigan

65 months ago

After reading most people comments, I feel like am not gonna go for MA which am supposed to start this fall at Davenport University here in Michigan through No Worker Left Behind (NWLB) program.. Please advice....

sophiag in Chicago, Illinois

65 months ago

m. g. in Fort Worth, Texas said: i am medical assistant bur need to get certified
do you know where i can get certified

you need to go through your school as long as you are still in school you can be certified by your 5th or 6th month the test is hard so you have to study that means buckle down no partying and you will need a quiet place to do this avoid as many interuptions as you can like turn off your phone there is also the AAMA test but it can't be taken till you finish school if you apply for these tests do it while you are still in school it is cheaper talk to your instructor and if they have any extra classes or seminars go!!!! they do help also make sure you get the exam book read it and study it, it will help, use the disk that comes with it . the test is very hard for the AAMA but it is a great certification you have to study hard and be very committed pay attention to your instructors and do well the AAMA test is very different than the book but the book does help but keep in mind you do need what you have learned in class (this is through experience don't miss any days one day missed is a lot of knowledge lost) Believe me the AAMA test is tough!!!! But even with this certification getting a job is hard maybe cause I'm in Chicago

Wish you lots of luck
sophiag

Laurie22

63 months ago

Shelah in Toledo, Ohio said: Yes, I had a moment like this. I obtained my RMA degree and practiced as such for 10 years. Went back to school and received my RN degree while working full-time plus and having 2 small children. I will graduate in 3 weeks after 7 years of pre-med classes. I enter med school in Fall of 2011 and will be 43. You can do whatever u want to do at any age in life. Follow your gut instinct! It sounds like you already are! Good Luck.

Shelah,
Hi! I am a laid off auto worker. I have always wanted to work in health care. I live in Toledo, Ohio. I was wondering if there are jobs, here, for medical assistants or LPNs? I was also considering going to school for RN, but I would rather start out as a medical assistant or LPN. I was told that LPNs are being phased out. I am 39 and I am not sure if I have a job to go back to. I need to go back to school, but I want to make sure that I do not waste my time or money. Do you have any suggestions? If you were to suggest being a medical assistant, which school has the best program? Thank you, Laurie22

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

ruthncls in Springfield, Missouri

63 months ago

I finished MA school in September 2007 and still haven't found a job yet. I would like to look outside of the area I live in. Is there anyone out there who will hire a Medical Assistant with little experience and cover relocation expenses?
I recently took the AMT's certification exam and passed with a score of 92. And by the way, I am not a young person and I have a good work history.

SusanH in Clarksville, Tennessee

63 months ago

Not sure where you live but in Tennesse there are so many jobs available, try asking your school for help, they didn't have job search assistance?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

SusanH in Clarksville, Tennessee

63 months ago

celestial_kel in North Carolina said: Are medical assistans allowed to start IV's? I thought that only RN's could do that....just curious!

We are allowed to Do IV pushes in Tennessee as well as administer meds and draw blood I guess it depends on your state

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Kat in Arlington, Texas

63 months ago

SusanH in Clarksville, Tennessee said: We are allowed to Do IV pushes in Tennessee as well as administer meds and draw blood I guess it depends on your state

Yikes, IV Pushes? I am shocked that medical assistants are permitted to do this! That's one thing I certainly think should be left to licensed personnel!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Shelah in Toledo, Ohio

63 months ago

Hello, Laurie. First and foremost, I am sorry to hear you have lost your job. You have a lot of questions and I will try to help. :o) It is true that the Toledo hospital's will be phasing out LPN's. Flower and TTH have given the LPN's 5 years to go back to school and get their RN degree's. SLH hasn't started the phase out yet, but is aware of the recent legislation and will be pursuing the phase out.
Obtaining an LPN license (which can be 12- 18 mths) will limit where you can work (nursing homes, physician offices, ect), which limits your payscale if you stay in OH.
The same is true for the MA. It will take 9 mths to 24 mths to earn the degree. (I am also hearing of how difficult it is for the MA's to find a job, especially for those with the 9 month diploma's. Employers are looking at their limited time of education as well as negative experience with those who have graduated from these programs.) Hospital's don't typically hire MA's other than in roles to draw blood or tech work. As a prior MA, I loved my job and the office I worked in. MA's are very useful in a physician's private practice both in administrative and clinical roles... its just hard to find a job in this economy.
You can earn an associates RN degree in 2 years at Mercy College of NW Ohio, Owens Community College, and University of Toledo. In OH, the pay is the same for an associates degree as it is for a bachelor's degree. I have not had much experience with UT students, but the Mercy and Owens students were excellent. As for the schools themselves: as a recent UT grad, they don't work with non-traditional students; Owens works with non-traditional's but the school seems to be very disorganized at this time... not sure why but there was a recent ad in the blade calling for their CEO to resign. Leaves me to wonder??? As your are currently unemployed, the schools can work with you to get grants (don't have to pay this back) to assist financially.

Shelah in Toledo, Ohio

63 months ago

To finish, my suggestion: if you plan on going back to school to earn a degree... it takes 12 months to 24 months to earn a degree (whether MA, LPN, RN), why not just get the RN?
The pay is more. The schooling is the same length of time. You will have more options for job openings upon graduation.
Also, during your clinical rotations, if you stand out as a student in training, you are more than likely going to be hired before you graduate! :o)
If you have more questions, please email me at ShelahRN369@aol.com.
Hope this helps. If your hearts in it, you will be great at whatever you choose. Good luck!

Shelah in Toledo, Ohio

63 months ago

I didn't hire these MA's. They were in place when I was hired.

Whether a MA, LPN, RN, or a regular human being... if one can walk past a person in need and not offer to help...than they should NOT choose a caree in the healthcare field.
You are correct, the earnings of an MA are 1/2 to a 1/3rd of what a RN earns. However, the educational background of both are significantly different which would warrant the difference in pay as well as the differences in where they can be employed. A RN is a licensed healthcare provider; the MA is an unlicensed healthcare personnel. The MA's legal scope of practice compared to a RN is significantly different. An MA cannot "do as much or more" than a RN or LPN in any state.

Laurie22

63 months ago

Shelah,

Thank you very much. The information it was very helpful.

Shelah in Toledo, Ohio

63 months ago

Laurie22 said: Shelah,

Thank you very much. The information it was very helpful.

You are welcome and, again, good luck!

63 months ago

I just graduated with an AAS degree in Medical Assisting in June. I am currently doing my externship in an Oncology practice and I have pretty much already been assured of a full time job with this company upon completion of the externship. The jobs are out there and if you can somehow get an offer from your externship site, you don't have to go through the worry of not having enough experience.I plan to go back to school in another year or so to get my RN degree and I feel that working with cancer patients will really give me extra experience for actual nursing.

sharon in Yakima, Washington

62 months ago

I completed medical assisting program in March this year but I still haven't got a job yet. I'm an Asian and I tried really heard to learn English. I got straight As in school and scholarship, but I still can't find a job in Yakima....

ruthncls in Springfield, Missouri

62 months ago

It doesn't matter about your race, the same thing is happening everywhere. Really sad situation. But remember, the Lord is in control and there is a job for you out there somewhere, you just have to be patient and keep your chin up.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Todd

62 months ago

Shelah B in Toledo, Ohio said: Per the law: MA's are not allowed to: start IV's or push IV medications (only professionals that are certified or licensed to do so are allowed); independently diagnose or treat patients; assess, plan and evaluate pts or their care; perform arterial punctures; independently provide medical treatment, analyze test results, advise pts of their condition or treatment regimen, or perform medical care decision making; administer any anesthetic agen; independently prescribe or refill medications; practice physical therapy; or do clinical skills which require health professional licensure. I don't set the laws. The states medical boards do though.
It is also against the law to state you are a "Nurse" if you are not licensed as such.

You are only half right. No one but a licensed provider may dx and tx pt's. Administering meds, venipuncture, start and/or push IV's (these you can be trained and certified BY YOUR PROVIDER!). YOu do assessments before the provider comes in. (remember SOAP?) Get your facts straight before you talk about the law. I am an CMA and a paralegal.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Polly in Loves Park, Illinois

62 months ago

I hate to say this as an LPN, but I have had an LPN walk out on a patient that was a GI bleed (all the classic signs, you would have had to be an idiot not to catch it) while working a subacute unit---her shift was over, she knew there was a problem and there was a call out to the Doc. She in reality had a date, knew EXACTLY what the problem was, and didn't want to deal with paperwork, so she waited 6 hours for me to show up and gave me a shady report--dumping this acutely ill patient on me. He was out the door in an ambulance within 15 minutes---and the paramedics were asking "why didn't someone call us earlier?"
Nurses can suck too--just for the record.
Work ethic in Illinois is at an all time low.
Nobody wants to work for a living, they show up late, ask to leave early, disappear for two hours over lunch, hide in the breakroom, call in when they got too drunk last night. This is true for all professions, not just the medical profession

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Shelah in Toledo, Ohio

62 months ago

Todd said: You are only half right. No one but a licensed provider may dx and tx pt's. Administering meds, venipuncture, start and/or push IV's (these you can be trained and certified BY YOUR PROVIDER!). YOu do assessments before the provider comes in. (remember SOAP?) Get your facts straight before you talk about the law. I am an CMA and a paralegal.

Todd,
I am not sure why your are so defensive. I would not have written the statements within the blog without having first researched the topic. The information written was obtained from the Ohio State Medical Board in conjunction with the local colleges teaching the medical assistant degree. Administering meds po or topical and venipuncture are a part of an MA's training in Ohio. Starting an IV or pushing IV meds is not...even if the provider states they can train you which most won/t. As an RN, I can assess a pt. As a MA in Ohio, I cannot. I am not a paralegal. However, I hold a Minor in Business Law with a pre-med concentration.

markeyttadavis@ymail.com in Morrow, Georgia

62 months ago

HI, I attend westwood in midtown and i am having problems finding
research on medical assistant administering medication legally and ehticaly.Help please, my email is markeyttadavis@ymail.com

cass carson in Wilmington, Ohio

61 months ago

I am a Medical Assistant and I feel that they are being poorly represented. It seems like the people you have hired are just incompetent period which would fall under your responsibility as a manager. I work with 10 MAs, 2 LPNs and 2RNs and in my office we do the majority of the work. I do know that there are one or two people that I would not trust doing anything on me but the rest of the people I work with are very knowledgeable and have no problems making decisions or taking care of patients. I think you may need to just look at the people working for you and rethink their employment.

Doc in Merced, California

61 months ago

I believe the lack-of-viable-employment problem stems from a number of things.

1- For Profit Schools are REQUIRED (by state laws) to graduate a specified percent of students: This leads to pushing through students who are very UNQUALIFED/UNPROFESSIONAL.

2- Until those laws are changed, and students are held to the same standards as 2/4 years colleges, the problem will persist.

3- Many students are concerned with learning the basics(phlebotomy/injections) but fail to understand the importance of the rest (A&P - Pharmacology - and simple V-Signs) figuring just let me stick someone.

I personally wouldnt want to be on the recieving end of a needle with medication in it, from someone that doensn't understand basic asepsis or DO/AOH=Dose given.

Polly in Rockford, Illinois

61 months ago

This might help you to decide what your next move is---

www.associatedcontent.com/article/787965/so_you_want_to_be_a_nurse_pg0_pg0.html?cat=31

bredemak in Evansville, Indiana

61 months ago

Hi, I am a student and I am writing a paper and need to interview a medical assistant, can anyone help me?

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.