Problems faced by Medical Assistant

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (101 to 150 of 164)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

nikki_d460@yahoo.com in Flint, Michigan

55 months ago

m. g. in Fort Worth, Texas said: i am medical assistant bur need to get certified
do you know where i can get certified

I recommend American Medical Technologist, not only do you get certified but your registered in all 50 states. It works to I have been able to live in diffrent states using my registry. I have lived in Iowa, Georgia and Michigan and got a job with no problem. I am from Dallas,TX

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

carol in Pflugerville, Texas

55 months ago

Ally Spears in East Haven, Connecticut said: I have been out for school of MA since dec 2007 had a 160 hr externship and I have applied ever where here in CT and gone on interviews and they all say the same thing I dont have enough experience and at my school career dept says to apply for medical office If I wanted that kind of job I would have gone toschool for that

I am very depressed that I cant find a job I know I can do this job being a MA I just need to be given a chance

i hear you, all day long i am mailing out resume online apps,walk-in. i also volunteer once a week still no calls from anyone..keep the faith thats all i have

BLUSH23 in Brooklyn, New York

55 months ago

carol in Pflugerville, Texas said: i hear you, all day long i am mailing out resume online apps,walk-in. i also volunteer once a week still no calls from anyone..keep the faith thats all i have

Are you certified or registered? Im just wandering Im starting my MA program in another week & Ive also signed up to volunteer 3hrs. a week. The MA progam is 16 months so when im done I can take the exam because it is accredited & I figure y not get a head start on volunteering & getting experience so that I will not only have a recommendations from the schools externship but from other sources

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Holly in San Diego, California

53 months ago

celestial_kel in North Carolina said: Are medical assistans allowed to start IV's? I thought that only RN's could do that....just curious!

Interesting that she is so experienced, yet she works outside of the scope of her training. Just sayin'

christyzierenberg@yahoo.com

45 months ago

Seems to me if you want a job as an MA you have to be registered not certified. It also seems that when someone asked if they were registered or certified nobody replied. Can someone answer that question for me, as I also was maybe considering either going to school for either an MA or a Dental Assistant. Iam really afraid though because of all the neegitive feedback. I lost my job 2 years ago and shortly after lost my son, so I just now got my self back on track and feel ready to go out into the world agin, but I can not handle anymore dissapointments. So before I waste my time can anyone answer the question if you have to be registered or certified?

Thanks for your input!

lovepink865 in Knoxville, Tennessee

44 months ago

I live in Tennessee and am a RMA with a two year degree in Medical Assisting and can start an iv with normal saline, ringer, dextrose but can't push meds through it only the Dr or Rn can do that per our D.O.N at work. I think the laws in each state are different and vary from practice to practice. But in my opinion there is a huge difference between a 9 month program and a two year with M.A.'s (no offense) and you should be properly trained and only the most trained and registered/certified M.A.'s do these tasks at my practice.

Nikki in Houston, Texas

44 months ago

As a Medical Assistant and some of the places I've worked I have been lucky enough to have worked with Doctors that have taught me skills that only a Dr would know and do. I have worked with RN's that have left me in charge of the clinic when they were out. I have a registry in Medical Assisting and went to school for 9 mos. I believe my skills come as a talent and a care for what I do. I do everything a RN do when it comes to patient care. I don't push meds in surgery, but thats the only thing. I feel that Medical Assistants are as much of a need as a RN. But, I have never understood why a person would go to school for 2yrs for a medical assistant when that time could have been used to study as a RN? I don't understand why RN's feel threatened by a MA.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

lovepink865 in Knoxville, Tennessee

44 months ago

I went to school for 2yrs because I didn't want a diploma I wanted a Associates degree in my field and something that would give me more knowledge which it did and now I'm getting my BSN in nursing and because I had an Associates it took alot of time off of that program.

James Baker in Vacaville, California

36 months ago

I live in Vacavile CA. I moved here from Oregon five months ago after completing my AAS degree. I am a National Certified Medical Assistant, and have my Limited X-Ray license in Oregon. The only experience I have is my externship at an Urgent Care. I have found that Clinics, Private Practices, and Hospitals, will only hire an MA with at least 6 months to 2 years experience. It is frustrating for me to see all of the advertisements on TV for MA programs. I feel that the market is already flooded with MAs who can't find a job, and these colleges are only selling a product, and not helping people to advance in a career.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

James Baker in Vacaville, California

36 months ago

Hi Claire,
Thank you for your response. Just yesterday I set up an opportunity to volunteer at a clinic in Sacramento. I am looking forward to meeting people, learning new skills, and helping out where ever I can. Hope things are going well for you.

Amber Sladick in Muskegon, Michigan

34 months ago

Hello all. To be honest I'am really quiet frustrated at the who letter behind your name thing.. I'm a Medical Assistant who can run circles around some of these RN's out there. I have worked with many of them and never understand how they made it out of school. I would love to go back to school but there is no way no how could I afford it and I dont know what to do with my children for the time being. I recently lost my job in a medical facility and looking at all of the open positions there is not a lot open for MA's. I do not understand why an MA can not do what a Patient Care Assistant does as that is what we were trained to do and I also do not know why we can not be hired in a CNA's position?? CNA's do not go to school and get near as much training as MA's do, however they will hire a CNA to fulfill a Patient Care Assitant position?? It does not make any sence to me.. It really depends on the person and their working ability and there intelegence. The last place I worked at they asked every applicant the same questions, I thought this was funny because in school when we were required to take a human services class they taught you how to answer those questions!!! Just because they answer that questions ie: What is your best quality? does not mean they are fit for the job!!! Im really frustrated that I can not get a job right now let alone an interview. I'm a very hard worker and take pride in my work. A lot of the RN's that I worked with on a daily basis came to me with questions.... I dont understand and I hate the fact that you have to have letters behind your name to justify your work performance...... Do you know what I mean??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

34 months ago

Amber Sladick in Muskegon, Michigan said: Hello all. To be honest I'am really quiet frustrated at the who letter behind your name thing.. I'm a Medical Assistant who can run circles around some of these RN's out there. I have worked with many of them and never understand how they made it out of school. I would love to go back to school but there is no way no how could I afford it and I dont know what to do with my children for the time being. I recently lost my job in a medical facility and looking at all of the open positions there is not a lot open for MA's. I do not understand why an MA can not do what a Patient Care Assistant does as that is what we were trained to do and I also do not know why we can not be hired in a CNA's position?? CNA's do not go to school and get near as much training as MA's do, however they will hire a CNA to fulfill a Patient Care Assitant position?? It does not make any sence to me.. It really depends on the person and their working ability and there intelegence. The last place I worked at they asked every applicant the same questions, I thought this was funny because in school when we were required to take a human services class they taught you how to answer those questions!!! Just because they answer that questions ie: What is your best quality? does not mean they are fit for the job!!! Im really frustrated that I can not get a job right now let alone an interview. I'm a very hard worker and take pride in my work. A lot of the RN's that I worked with on a daily basis came to me with questions.... I dont understand and I hate the fact that you have to have letters behind your name to justify your work performance...... Do you know what I mean??

PS.. Excuss my incorrect spelled words... My mind is getting lazy since being out of work and I did not proof read it.. I was a little testy when I wrote it.. LOL, Im sorry but thanks for hearing me out... I can still spell the medical terminology right. LOL. May God Bless you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

34 months ago

James Baker in Vacaville, California said: Hi Claire,
Thank you for your response. Just yesterday I set up an opportunity to volunteer at a clinic in Sacramento. I am looking forward to meeting people, learning new skills, and helping out where ever I can. Hope things are going well for you.

Good luck to you.. I wish you the best... Jobs for MA's are hard to come by these days.. Amber

kristag in Sublimity, Oregon

32 months ago

m. g. in Fort Worth, Texas said: i am medical assistant bur need to get certified

go to the AAMA website and they have a link to the exam sign up and information

Cgtm in Mesquite, Texas

32 months ago

Shelah B in Toledo, Ohio said: Per the law: MA's are not allowed to: start IV's or push IV medications (only professionals that are certified or licensed to do so are allowed); independently diagnose or treat patients; assess, plan and evaluate pts or their care; perform arterial punctures; independently provide medical treatment, analyze test results, advise pts of their condition or treatment regimen, or perform medical care decision making; administer any anesthetic agen; independently prescribe or refill medications; practice physical therapy; or do clinical skills which require health professional licensure. I don't set the laws. The states medical boards do though.
It is also against the law to state you are a "Nurse" if you are not licensed as such.[/QUOTE

Not only do you not make the laws you do not know them. I believe you should know the laws before quoting them. Medical Assistants can and do start IVs also refill RX etc

cb in Salem, Oregon

31 months ago

Cgtm in Mesquite, Texas said:

I am currently in the top certified MA school in the US, and we are NOT allowed to start IV's and can not refill RX. We CAN watch an IV after it is started, and we can refill RX with a Doctor's order only. Some MA's have been known to work outside of the legal area, but be warned, you can and will be sued if you start practicing medicine without a license. Remember, we are certified only, not license, therefore are not required to have personal medical insurance like doctors, and some nurses. They have the big bucks, big bills, and all the legal headaches.
Shelah B in Toledo, is very much correct on each of her statements, it just might keep you out of legal hotwater.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

cb in Salem, Oregon

31 months ago

carol in Pflugerville, Texas said: i hear you, all day long i am mailing out resume online apps,walk-in. i also volunteer once a week still no calls from anyone..keep the faith thats all i have

Carol, you really don't have enough hours to work as an MA in 2012. You need to have 90 hours front office, and 180 hours back clinical office, and you should sit for the national AAMA exam to be certified. Perhaps, you should go for a refresher courses and get caught up on the current requirements for MA's. Before going to just any old MA school, check first if they are AAMA certified, that will open doors for you that you now are having troubles with.

cb in Salem, Oregon

31 months ago

christyzierenberg@yahoo.com said: Seems to me if you want a job as an MA you have to be registered not certified. It also seems that when someone asked if they were registered or certified nobody replied. Can someone answer that question for me, as I also was maybe considering either going to school for either an MA or a Dental Assistant. Iam really afraid though because of all the neegitive feedback. I lost my job 2 years ago and shortly after lost my son, so I just now got my self back on track and feel ready to go out into the world agin, but I can not handle anymore dissapointments. So before I waste my time can anyone answer the question if you have to be registered or certified?

Thanks for your input!

I don't know if anyone got back to you with this, but it does matter to some locations if you are registered or certified. In Oregon, and the west coast area, it is certified, but if you are registered, its not really a big deal. They are very similar actually. Usually a registered person was say, in the military, got out, and took the registered test. Some MA schools encourage their students to take the registered tests, because they have not learned enough for the certified test, so it is easier, and you don't have to have as many CWE's to maintain as a certified person. If you go to a 2 year program, and are with a certified AAMA school, then you will sit for your test when you graduate. It takes a long time to do the 2 year program, but in the end, you will be better prepared, because they make you practice, practice, practice. The 9 month schools in my area are not well thought of, and in fact, most doctors refuse to hire any of them, because you just can not get all the information you need in such a short length of time. It is the very luck few that do get hired, and 1/2 of them get fired shortly thereafter, because they are so ill prepared. I don't wish to bash the 9 month schools, but there is something to be supervised & mentored

Cgtm in Rockwall, Texas

31 months ago

The law states that the medical doctor can have there medical assistant do anything he/she fills we are knowledgeable enough to do by hands on experience or by formal training. Medical assistants are not licensed therefore we are covered under the doctors malpractice.

cb in Salem, Oregon

31 months ago

Cgtm in Rockwall, Texas said: The law states that the medical doctor can have there medical assistant do anything he/she fills we are knowledgeable enough to do by hands on experience or by formal training. Medical assistants are not licensed therefore we are covered under the doctors malpractice.

True, but remember, that you are hiding behind the doctor if you do things that you are not supposed to do. Go to the AAMA website and find out what the legal things you can do. Of course, I recognize you are from Texas, and as each state has different laws and rules, there are some things that MA's do not do or cross the line on. (some states are barely letting MA's take temperatures!)
Oh, and a FYI, there is a new insurance deal circulating around Oregon (so don't know if this is in other states), but insurance companies are now giving doctors an incentive of hiring only certified MA's. IF they do that, then they get a break on their malpractice insurance. Check it out for your state, to see if this might impact you in your future, if you are not certified yet.

Cgtm

31 months ago

The law would state not to go beyond my scope. However, if I have been properly trained then I would not be going beyond my scope. Trust me I have refused to do treatment that I did not feel comfortable with. However to state that I am not allowed to do IVs etc. Would be incorrect.

cb in Salem, Oregon

31 months ago

This is very strange to me. But then again, it may be a state thing for MA's. I have never seen a MA start an IV anywhere, and I have travelled extensively all over the US and Europe. I have attended meetings, seminars, and classes, and that is the one thing that everyone has beat into our heads, that we can not start IV's because we are not RN's. Only RN's can start IV's. I have worked in hospitals as well, and only RNs can start IV's.
Were in the Texas law does it state you can? I'm very curious about this. IF you could give me the statute, then I can maybe get it changed here in Oregon as well. (PS. I'm originally from Texas, so this is also a foreign thing to me as well.)

Cgtm in Rockwall, Texas

31 months ago

It is covered under the " General Delegation Clause" in Texas laws for physicians

cb in Salem, Oregon

31 months ago

Ok, read the General Delegation Clause, and goodness, Texas has made you hardly more than a service aid.
Ok, if you read all the way through the thing, you can not give any refills of medications, or any medication without the doctor signing off. It is very specific that this is under the domain of the PA or the PN, or RN. So, no, you can not do IV's because that constitutes giving medications, and your not allowed to give medications or as an IV is classified as a medication under Federal Law.
I'm sure your not going to agree with this, but I'd sure as heck get someone to clarify it for me. If you do not belong to the local AAMA, then go on the website and ask them that question.
They have full time lawyers that go to court on our behalf, and they would definitely know the answer.

Cgtm in Rockwall, Texas

31 months ago

Oh for heaven sakes! Nobody but a "practicing provider" including a RN can give any medical care without a physicians or "provider" ie nurse practitioner or physician's assistant's order. So yes if I have the order from a physician I can.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Cgtm in Rockwall, Texas

31 months ago

Correction can not give medical care beyond basic first aid without an order

cb in Salem, Oregon

31 months ago

Sorry, but that does not cover your backside. There are legal and ethical things you just can not do, even if the doctor orders you to do it. It is taught in every MA ethic's class.

I will not argue with you any more about this, I'm just saying, you had better get it checked out for sure. Because if something happens, you use the "the doctor ordered me to do it",and it's your name on the procedure that did it, will not cover you in a court of law if the doctor gets sued. You will also get sued with it. This is just an FYI.
Hope you are having good weather out there otherwise, we are having record snowstorms and flooding, alternating. Makes it hard to get to work!

Cgtm in Rockwall, Texas

31 months ago

This topic is begining to bore me as well. I appreciate your concern, but taught medical law and ethics in the state of Texas and have been in healthcare here for 21 years so I have not much more to check into. Hope your winter calms down and is milder soon.

shay leeanne in Athens, Ohio

31 months ago

Get certified at

aama-ntl.org. The site is wonderful. especially if you need step by step assistance! I hope it helps.

SAB in Toledo, Ohio

31 months ago

cb in Salem, Oregon said: I am currently in the top certified MA school in the US, and we are NOT allowed to start IV's and can not refill RX. We CAN watch an IV after it is started, and we can refill RX with a Doctor's order only. Some MA's have been known to work outside of the legal area, but be warned, you can and will be sued if you start practicing medicine without a license. Remember, we are certified only, not license, therefore are not required to have personal medical insurance like doctors, and some nurses. They have the big bucks, big bills, and all the legal headaches.
Shelah B in Toledo, is very much correct on each of her statements, it just might keep you out of legal hotwater.

Thank you, CB. As stated in my original comment, the state medical boards set the laws for what a MA can and cannot do. The comments I had posted were directly from a state medical boards listing.

SAB in Toledo, Ohio

31 months ago

cb in Salem, Oregon said: Sorry, but that does not cover your backside. There are legal and ethical things you just can not do, even if the doctor orders you to do it. It is taught in every MA ethic's class.

I will not argue with you any more about this, I'm just saying, you had better get it checked out for sure. Because if something happens, you use the "the doctor ordered me to do it",and it's your name on the procedure that did it, will not cover you in a court of law if the doctor gets sued. You will also get sued with it. This is just an FYI.
Hope you are having good weather out there otherwise, we are having record snowstorms and flooding, alternating. Makes it hard to get to work!

CB, I concur. Just because a physician gives an order does not mean you can or should complete the order. This would be the case for anyone.. RN, LPN, MA, front office clerk, ect. The order must be within your legal scope of practice per state as well as per the institution's policy and procedures.

SAB in Toledo, Ohio

31 months ago

Cgtm in Mesquite, Texas said:

cgmt...the comments I have posted are listed in the state medical boards documents. My quote stated an MA cannot independently refill a medication. MA's can and do refill medications with a licensed health care provider's order. In Ohio, the order would have to come from a physician. In Ohio, a CNP cannot delegate any medication administration orders to a MA including an immunization. There is hopes that this will change in the near future as it makes it very difficult to set up patient care medical homes with NP's who cannot give medication orders to a MA.

Volunteer in Hospital in Phoenix, Arizona

30 months ago

Hi,there!! How are did get a job?

Volunteer in Hospital in Phoenix, Arizona

30 months ago

celestial_kel in North Carolina said: Wow! That really stinks that so many MAs perform so poorly once on the job! I am currently in school for MA and I will graduate in June with an associates degree. I have put my all into my education and have always wanted to work in the medical field, but now, I am starting to feel like I should have just gone into nursing and not wasted my time doing the MA program! I read so many posts about how it's so hard to find a job as an MA, even though the schools would have you believe that they are in such high demand! And then when you do see posts about MAs on the job, it seems like they slack off and don't really take their job seriously! I just hope I am given a chance when I graduate, becaue I really am serious about my career.

How are you? Did you get an MA job?

CB in Salem, Oregon

30 months ago

Michelle in Clayton, North Carolina said: What is the difference between CCMA and CMA?

CCMA is Certified Medical Assistant, and the other one is Certifed Medication Assistant. Because of the mix up, the MA's have changed theirs so that it lessens the confusion.

CB in Salem, Oregon

30 months ago

Volunteer in Hospital in Phoenix, Arizona said: How are you? Did you get an MA job?[/QUOTE
I have heard some odd things about Arizona, but not sure if it is true. As for being an MA, contact the National Organization and talk to someone there. I too will graduate in June, but have not really worried about getting a job. While several of my class mates are worried, because there seems to be a little glut of MA's in this area. The major problem is that are not willing to drive more than 10 miles for their job. So, if your not willing to be a little flexible, then you will hamstring yourself big time. Try to keep that in mind. While it may take you further than you would want to drive, it just might be the best job you ever had, or opens other doors.

cb in Salem, Oregon

30 months ago

C-Baxter in Norcross, Georgia said: I just finished a 5-day Clinical Medical Assistant program in early January of this year and have a job making $17.35/hr which is not the greatest, but I'm VERY happy with it. I did the 5-day CMA (Clinical Medical Assistant) program with the Medical Career Specialists ( www.medicalcareerspecialists.com )

They gave me career prep services & job placement assistance free of charge AND I got my MA certification, which I can use anywhere in the US.

Medical Assisting is one of the fastest growing and most stable fields in the country (according to MSN, The New York Times, and the US Bureau of Labor Statistics). So the problem isn't that there aren't enough job opportunities or that you have to have years of experience--(look at me, fresh out of training!)

I have friends with similar issues as a lot of the posters in the forum, but I didn't have those issues. I'm SO grateful I chose the program that I did. I'm sorry to hear of some of your struggles and wish you all the best of luck.

Maybe consider giving Medical Career Specialists a call: one eight-hundred, five nine five, sixty-two seventy-six

Hope this helps!!!

You attended a 5 day clinic??? Was it a refresher course or something like that? There is no way anyone could actually learn all the things that are required for a MA in just 5 days. I take it you have not taken your national certification test. If you did not pay at least $125 for a test, and sit for it, you are not a CMA, you are just a MA. There is a difference, so be careful that you do not use a CMA title. If you graduated with a certificate, then you are only a MA.
You should be thankful that you have gotten a job that pays $17.35 per hour. Most MA jobs do not start out that high. Lucky you, and I'm glad it has worked out well for you.

layna75 in Jersey City, New Jersey

30 months ago

cb in Salem, Oregon said: I don't know if anyone got back to you with this, but it does matter to some locations if you are registered or certified. In Oregon, and the west coast area, it is certified, but if you are registered, its not really a big deal. They are very similar actually. Usually a registered person was say, in the military, got out, and took the registered test. Some MA schools encourage their students to take the registered tests, because they have not learned enough for the certified test, so it is easier, and you don't have to have as many CWE's to maintain as a certified person. If you go to a 2 year program, and are with a certified AAMA school, then you will sit for your test when you graduate. It takes a long time to do the 2 year program, but in the end, you will be better prepared, because they make you practice, practice, practice. The 9 month schools in my area are not well thought of, and in fact, most doctors refuse to hire any of them, because you just can not get all the information you need in such a short length of time. It is the very luck few that do get hired, and 1/2 of them get fired shortly thereafter, because they are so ill prepared. I don't wish to bash the 9 month schools, but there is something to be supervised & mentored
Any person who has completed a medical assisting program that is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) or the Accrediting Bureau of Health Education Schools (ABHES)can sit for the CMA offered by the American Association of Medical Assistants(AAMA), the RMA offered by American Medical Technologists (AMT), the CCMA (Certified Clinical MA) offered by the National Healthcareer Association (NHA), or the NCMA (National Certified MA) offered by the National Center for Competancy Testing (NCCT). All four organizations are recognized nationaly however, the AAMA and AMT or most highly regarded.

layna75 in Jersey City, New Jersey

30 months ago

PART 2

The RMA and CMA exams are very similar, if you can pass one you can pass the other. The major difference between CMA and RMA is that you can use work experience in place of education in order to sit for the RMA. I attended a 9 month program and am doing quite well, however, it is important for me to note that I was a straight A student with perfect attendance. Education is what you make of it. If you complete an accreditated program and are still ill prepared, regardless of lenght, that is on you personally. It is not the fault of the program.

People should really do their research before posting false or misguided information.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jeffrey Antonelli in Chicago, Illinois

30 months ago

I am an attorney representing a lot of students who went to for-profit vocational schools for Medical Assisting, Ultrasound (sonography), and similar fields.

From my experience the CMA credential is the preferred way to go at least in Illinois, for example University of Chicago Medical Center will not consider you if you have the RMA but not the CMA.

Look carefully at the outcomes of the programs before you enroll! They should disclose to you for the past academic year: a) the percentage of people who enrolled and graduated b) the percentage of people who enrolled and got actually permanent full-time jobs in the intended field for which the students enrolled c) the average salary of those graduates placed in those "real jobs."

If the program is, say $15,000 and it will only give you a $1.50/hour raise over what you are doing now, I would be extremely cautious about enrolling in that program. Ask the employers you would love to work for about the program - do they hire their graduates, and do those graduates do well at the employer?

Jeffrey Antonelli
30 North LaSalle Street, Suite 3400
Chicago IL 60602

www.antonelli-law.com/Sue_Your_School.php
wp.tradeschoolscams.com/

Feel free to facebook "share" the blog on trade schools

jeff in Austin, Texas

29 months ago

lucy in Broomfield, Colorado said: I feel that until Medical Assistants are looked upon like medical help (such as LPN'S) - we will not be taken seriously. We get as much training as other medical support staff, but we do not get the recognition for our medical knowledge. Why can't we sit for a National Nursing Board Exam? We can do all the work as most others.

Are you serious? really a MA could NEVER EVER pass the boards. You have never been through the school so you figure what else could there be. The same reason why LPN's can't do a lot of things RN's can...WOW

Steve in Dunbar, West Virginia

29 months ago

I am also looking for information on which is better becoming a medical assistant or <a href="www.phlebotomytrainingportal.com/" target="_top">becoming certified in phlebotomy?</a>

cb in Salem, Oregon

29 months ago

Steve in Dunbar, West Virginia said: I am also looking for information on which is better becoming a medical assistant or <a href=" www.phlebotomytrainingportal.com/" target="_top">becoming certified in phlebotomy?</a>

Depends on what you want to do. A phlebotomist draws blood all day long, that is it. A MA attends classes (if they go the short route), or attend a 2 year college to become a MA. It is recommended that you get Certified (as in take a National test) for better hireability. It really depends on your committment and desire. I'd look at the National website for MA's to get more information, and what is offered in your state area. Ditto for phlebotomy.

cb in Salem, Oregon

29 months ago

Steve in Dunbar, West Virginia said: I am also looking for information on which is better becoming a medical assistant or <a href=" www.phlebotomytrainingportal.com/" target="_top">becoming certified in phlebotomy?</a>

Depends on what you want to do. A phlebotomist draws blood all day long, that is it. A MA attends classes (if they go the short route), or attend a 2 year college to become a MA. It is recommended that you get Certified (as in take a National test) for better hireability. It really depends on your committment and desire. I'd look at the National website for MA's to get more information, and what is offered in your state area. Ditto for phlebotomy.

cb in Salem, Oregon

29 months ago

Rav.the.MA in Chicago, Illinois

29 months ago

Ally Spears in East Haven, Connecticut said: I have been out for school of MA since dec 2007 had a 160 hr externship and I have applied ever where here in CT and gone on interviews and they all say the same thing I dont have enough experience and at my school career dept says to apply for medical office If I wanted that kind of job I would have gone toschool for that

I am very depressed that I cant find a job I know I can do this job being a MA I just need to be given a chance

Hi Ally, the only solution I have is to volunteer somewhere. That's counts as experience. And see if u can get any letters of rec.

cb in Salem, Oregon

29 months ago

Be aware that is course is ONLY 5 days long, and while it says it is certified, it is the sort of certification you get when you take a course at a typing school. You are not actually certified, just the course is. If you want to be certified, you must take the National exam to be a certified medical assistant.
I honestly do not know of anyone that has done this course, so I'd check it out with the national medical assistant website before wasting any money.
If you are already a medical assistant, then all you need to do to be certified is to take the national exam. It will cost you less than this course, and you will know that you have the backing of the national certification to go with it. Go to: www.aama-ntl.org/

Tarah in Big Spring, Texas

29 months ago

I am an LVN/nurse manager at my clinic. My higher ups have hired a non certified medical assistant to work under my license. I am conserned. What is she aloud to do legally. I am in Texas....reguarding injections, vaccines, lab work, vitals ect. I read other places that as long as she finished school she can do all of these which is crazy to me. There were many of us that finished Nursing School but not everyone passed boards. It doesn't seem right! I am worried about my license and I can tell that her knowledge base is very slim in the medical field. Please refer me to a site that will spell this out for me so that I can feel better about this and have something to present to my employers. I have a meeting with them next week about this. Thank You for your help!

cb in Salem, Oregon

29 months ago

Well, first, I'd learn to spell. Your writing does not do you justice, I'm sure.
Now for the MA. Depending on where she graduated from, she may be more qualified than you are. I have more education than a LVN does, believe it or not, and yes, we are qualified and are instructed in a classroom, just like RN's, and LVN's to do all the things you have mentioned. So, I wouldn't complain about the MA just because your feelings are hurt and she knows how to do things.
As for what can a MA do, frankly, I"m surprised. You say you are an office manager, but don't know the first thing on how to find out your answer, but you have also called a meeting with your bosses. Girl, you had better get educated quickly, because if nothing else, you can use the internet and google that information. Good luck to you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

pls134 in Central Point, Oregon

29 months ago

I am not sure why you think its crazy because if you went to school that is what you learned to do along with going to an internship. Now IV's is something else, here in Southern Oregon MA's don't do IV's or at least where I worked. CNA's can and do the IV's.

I wouldn't let her not being certified discourage you too much. I had a LVN fresh out of school and there were things she didn't know how to do that I had to teach her. I am not a certified MA, I am eligible to take the test, but I decided to continue my education to get a RN degree. Just waiting to get accepted to the nursing program. But if you are concerned its YOUR LISCENSE so yes you should check to see what they can and can not do in Texas. Upper management tend to not care and do things they aren't suppose to, so you should cover your own butt. Good Luck hope you find your answers, you may want to check previous messages there was somebody on her from Texas who knew what they can and can't do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.