Questions about becoming a medical assistant? Do you get health insurance? Questions about being certified/registered?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

jaclie in Monroe, Michigan

101 months ago

I'm 18 recently graduated from high school. I want to work in the medical field. I have some questions about medical assisting. I have looked into it and many colleges offer it as a certificate and as an associates degree. Which one do most have? I also read that certified medical assistants only make $1000 more than non certified. Is that true? Do you get benefits? Mostly health insurance is important to me. Any advice or information will be appreciated? Also any one who is a medical assistant, do you like your job?

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Kat in Lewisville, Texas

101 months ago

You are so young! My advice is forget the medical assistant field and go straight to nursing. You can actually attend a community college and have your RN in 3 years! As an RN you have much higher earning potential, I'm talking like 3-4 times that of a MA not to mention high demand and many more opportunities. It may seem like a lot of schooling now, but it is SO much easier to take time for school while you are young. When you're 18 years old $10-14/hr may seem like a lot of money but trust me, it is not and can be very hard to have a comfortable lifestyle making that much. You could start out making $24-30/hr as RN or $18-22/hr as LPN. Just something to think about.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.