Questions asked on job interview for medical assistant

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 82 of 82)
Page:  « Previous   1  2   

JenniferF85 in Whitinsville, Massachusetts

54 months ago

Kiarbola in Clifton Heights, Pennsylvania said: MA school is a scam and a ripoff. Have you ever looked at the ads for MA jobs? I have and they are all t least 2 years REQUIRED experience, as well as various certifications and the like. Thats even if you see any ads for them. the average that I have seen on Monster.com has been about 5 a month. And the pay for these jobs roughly $9.75/hr. I was making more at my old job! What a scam!!

Just volunteer at a hospital and get FREE experience that way.

Actually, I am currently volunteering at a hospital!
I know, it hasn't been the most pleasant experiance because of exactly what you are saying! Around here they want 1+ years experiance for most of the jobs and then 2-5 for other jobs. I honestly wonder if it is a scam, but then I've seen some of the girls I had wen't to school with got jobs. They knew someone who put in a good word for them and thats pretty much how they got their chance. It's like you have to know someone who knows someone to get a job in the medical field. What about someone like me who doesn't have the connections but has the grades!?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Matt, NCMA in Salt Lake City, Utah

54 months ago

JenniferF85 in Whitinsville, Massachusetts said: Actually, I am currently volunteering at a hospital!
I know, it hasn't been the most pleasant experiance because of exactly what you are saying! Around here they want 1+ years experiance for most of the jobs and then 2-5 for other jobs. I honestly wonder if it is a scam, but then I've seen some of the girls I had wen't to school with got jobs. They knew someone who put in a good word for them and thats pretty much how they got their chance. It's like you have to know someone who knows someone to get a job in the medical field. What about someone like me who doesn't have the connections but has the grades!?

Hi there, You're on the right track just keep being patient and keep putting out resumes and your job come soon after that. You just have to keep the faith. I hoped that helped and God bless you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

april in Dallas, Texas

52 months ago

Have been out of school since December of last year 2009. Was just assigned to take the certification test for June 2010, been out of school for 6 mos and that is ridiculous that a student has to be out of school for 6mos to take the test. The school I attended should of set up the students to take the test soon after or before we graduated. I don't even know what to study, the school did not prepare the students with much study material, so needless to say I'm not into the Medical Assisting field as much due to my experience that I've encountered which has been very negative. I've not worked as a MA a not one day since the taking the program nor used any skills of an MA....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

anonymous in Riverdale, Georgia

52 months ago

They dont tell you have to quit your job to finish your externship. Dont tell you that after, externship, they do not have not even q job in mind for you. They have no job placement, they told me to go on craigslist. That field is just a ploy to bring in money off of defenseless,disenfranchised, unaware women, trying to support their families. They play on women's nurturing inateness. Woman are more times these days to be the bread winner in the family.. They played us!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

anonymous in Riverdale, Georgia

52 months ago

anonymous in Riverdale, Georgia said: They dont tell you have to quit your job to finish your externship. Dont tell you that after, externship, they do not have not even q job in mind for you. They have no job placement, they told me to go on craigslist. That field is just a ploy to bring in money off of defenseless,disenfranchised, unaware women, trying to support their families. They play on women's nurturing inateness. Woman are more times these days to be the bread winner in the family.. They played us!!!!!!

Yeah, I heard about the volunteering, but who has the gas to volunteer, who going to give me the gas money. I need the gas to find a paying job to survive. How about that. That's what I say to volunteering. I need to get PAID!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

marcis01@bellsoouth.net in Jacksonville, Florida

51 months ago

april in Dallas, Texas said: Have been out of school since December of last year 2009. Was just assigned to take the certification test for June 2010, been out of school for 6 mos and that is ridiculous that a student has to be out of school for 6mos to take the test. The school I attended should of set up the students to take the test soon after or before we graduated. I don't even know what to study, the school did not prepare the students with much study material, so needless to say I'm not into the Medical Assisting field as much due to my experience that I've encountered which has been very negative. I've not worked as a MA a not one day since the taking the program nor used any skills of an MA....

I am in school now and will finish on Thursday. My schooln gave a review for the National Test. So, If you would like I can mail
or email the review to you because it's a National Test. It covers everything. I have 16 years experience in the medical field and it has been very hard for me to find a job even in the field I have worked in. I have been a CNA since 1980 and have worked in the emergency room for over 8 years. You could say it's like the housing market; there are so many homes out there for people to choose from. Please don't give up I know the right job will come along.
Dianne

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

anonymous in Riverdale, Georgia

51 months ago

I graduated in October, 2008, did my externship with an excellent evaluation. I go back to the school and they have no leads. They even told me to go on craigslist. Even though they do not have job placement, they continue to enroll more students than when I attended. It was 30 students in the classroom, now, they have 50 students in the classroom. They are exploiting the people because they know the field of medical assisting is overpopulated and no jobs for entry level. Doctors want three to five year experience. It is the field for nurturing kind of personalities and we are ones most likely that they can prey on and are easy to take advantage of.

I had to take odd jobs not even in the medical field. I can not go for CNA jobs, because I need to pay for training, even though I had more training than a CNA.

You are not alone in disappointment. If you have more money to put out for more training then that what you will have to do. Believe me, your school has no intention of finding any leads for you. They have done their job and that is to take your money.

I wish you the best!!!

Sincerely,

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lastsayso... in Clayton, North Carolina

51 months ago

Anonymous in Newport, Kentucky said: Thank you very much- mrgwhitlock in Atlanta , Georgia, I did talk to the careere service lady at the college- which was Southwestern, and she assured me that if I pursued my Associates it would look alot better on me, I thought about pursuing an LPN program sice there is a board I can go in front of and plead my case, I'm going to keep praying and hopefully I'll be a rare case.........God Bless

Texas is a state that accepts offenders for jobs. And I encourage u to prsy you are turning your life around GOD has the last say so I speek from experience hold on and keep praying for that open door think positive fo n confident and let them know you have changed! Im praying for u in NC

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

dplatt51 in Saint Augustine, Florida

51 months ago

anonymous in Jonesboro, Georgia said: That is what I have decided too. Go back to school with a course
that will accept my credits. It is even more stressful when I contact the school for help in job placement. The next school that I attend , I will ask for the statistics of their job placement and also research the market for which ever field I go into. MA is over rated and over populated. So, unbelievable because you see the commercials and how the medical professionals are in demand. My school take in a slew of recruitees every friday. I want to forewarn them so bad. You have to take other than medical field to get a job and that even excaberate the situation because you are getting farther away from even finding a MA job with less and less experience.

I agree, but I have heard from many sources that the MA's are taking over alot of LPN jobs. If I go back to school to get my LPN license and end up waiting again. I am 59. I have 16 years medical experience. I have worked in 3 different hospitals, 8 years in the emergency room as a CNA. I'm doing my externship at an Urgent care center.I hope I get hired. I thought about going on and get my RN's license but I can't see myself being almost 70 and still looking for work. Right now we're like the housing market. There are so many home at a price you can choose. The MA's aree like the same. They tell you we're in demand...I don't see how. Good luck to you and GOD Bless.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Kate in Chula Vista, California

49 months ago

Anonymous in Newport, Kentucky said: Hi everyone,
If anyone can honestly answer this question-it would much be appreciated, I am about to extern and I'm finished with my Associates Degree in Medical Assisting, I have 3 felonies and about 5 misdemeanors, has anyone obtained employment in this field witha background like that, my offenses include burglary, theft, promoting contraband, I have overcome addiction and have been clean for almost 3 years and am through with parole, and am free, if anyone can answer this, God-Bless.....I'm going to keep trudging..

They can't prevent you from taking classes, but they will never hire you with that record, on or off parole. I would try and see if you can find a spot doing addiction medicine, with you backround as an addict that is NOW CLEAN you would be invaluable.If you can convince them you were a criminal only to feed your habit they may give you a try.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

KG in Pittsburg, Kansas

48 months ago

hmm..maybe i shouldnt start MA classes in January..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

ph in Clearwater, Florida

47 months ago

karen in Dearborn, Michigan said: i need to ask a medical assistant some questions because i am in medical assisting and i want to know? may i ask you please.

i have a friend he is 58 years old,he was a construction worker, laborar and pipe layer for 15 years, before that a driver for budweiser, has no office skills and wants to go into medical assistant program any advice?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

ph in Clearwater, Florida

47 months ago

i have a friend who was in construction for 15 years, pipe layer and laborer, he has no office skills, no organiational skills, short term memory problems, he is 58 and wants to go to medical assitant program any suggestion?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

MACHELLE in Black Mountain, North Carolina

47 months ago

??? NOT SURE HOW TO PUT MY KNOWLEDGE OF MULTIDISCIPLINARY TEAMS, THEIR FUNCTIONAL RELATIONSHIPS AND PROVIDING PATIENT DIRECTIONS. IN MY WORDS ON THE JOB THAT I DO HOSPITAL WORK

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Erica in Martinsburg, West Virginia

44 months ago

anonymous in Jonesboro, Georgia said: That is what I have decided too. Go back to school with a course
that will accept my credits. It is even more stressful when I contact the school for help in job placement. The next school that I attend , I will ask for the statistics of their job placement and also research the market for which ever field I go into. MA is over rated and over populated. So, unbelievable because you see the commercials and how the medical professionals are in demand. My school take in a slew of recruitees every friday. I want to forewarn them so bad. You have to take other than medical field to get a job and that even excaberate the situation because you are getting farther away from even finding a MA job with less and less experience.

I would try Kaplan University if they are around you. They will try there best with job placement while and during you college time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Brittney Ellis in Spartanburg, South Carolina

42 months ago

I'm currently in school to be an Medical Assistant and I need to ask someone already in that profession a few questions about they study for a roject.Is there anyone out there that's willing to take a few minutes of there time for me to ask them these questions?Need to do immediately.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Dianne in Saint Augustine, Florida

42 months ago

I maybe able to answer your questions. I have been out of school almost a year.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

ruthncls in Springfield, Missouri

42 months ago

I found a position for a Medical Assistant this morning. They wanted someone who graduated from an M.A. program. I would have applied, except they also wanted someone who graduated from a Pharmacy Tech program or about to graduate. The pay is $8.65/hr. All I can so to that is "good luck" trying to fill that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Brittney Ellis in Spartanburg, South Carolina

42 months ago

Ok thank you for replying to my comment do you have an email address I may beable to seend the questions to you and you can email them back to me?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Dianne in Saint Augustine, Florida

42 months ago

marcis01@bellsouth.net

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

marien in Willowbrook, Illinois

41 months ago

marcis01@bellsoouth.net in Jacksonville, Florida said: I am in school now and will finish on Thursday. My schooln gave a review for the National Test. So, If you would like I can mail
or email the review to you because it's a National Test. It covers everything. I have 16 years experience in the medical field and it has been very hard for me to find a job even in the field I have worked in. I have been a CNA since 1980 and have worked in the emergency room for over 8 years. You could say it's like the housing market; there are so many homes out there for people to choose from. Please don't give up I know the right job will come along.
Dianne
Hi Dianne can you email me the National Test please? thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Dianne in Saint Augustine, Florida

41 months ago

I can try. Can you send me your email address.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

hopeful in Columbia, South Carolina

39 months ago

I have a interview with a ent office. Does anyone have any advice for the interveiw?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Dianne in Saint Augustine, Florida

39 months ago

hopeful in Columbia, South Carolina said: I have a interview with a ent office. Does anyone have any advice for the interveiw?

How did you get this interview? Do you know anyone in this office? Do they thave a dress code like do they wear scrubs? If so, go like you are gong to work. Light makeup
not alot of jewelry. Look professional. Sell yourself, tell what you will bring to their business. Most of all SMILE! When you talk to your interviewer smile and treat that interviewer as if that person was a patient coming into the office for the first time. Let them know that the patient's needs come first. Because if that patient has a bad experience the first time they will always remember it and just might say something on their way out of the office to patients in the waiting room. Just remember treat everyone you meet just like you would want them to treat you. Good luck and let me know how it turns out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

hopeful in Columbia, South Carolina

39 months ago

Hey,
Thanks for the advice. Just wanted to let you know I got the job!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Dianne in Saint Augustine, Florida

39 months ago

I am so HAPPY for you. God Bless

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

dcuevas in Pasadena, California

30 months ago

Sarah in Marion, Ohio said: This is my very first quarter for becoming a Medical Assistant, and I think that getting a job will absolutely not be a problem.
For one my college is very seriously considering to take the Nursing program out as a whole because their jobs are becoming less wanted by physician offices and hospitals.
And sure we do make less then RN's and even LPN's but that will change because of the high demand of our job. Every where I look I see MA needed! No Nurse applications! and so on.
I think with today's economy it would be very un-wise to get your degree in Nursing because hospitals just dont want to pay them so much.
It sucks but its true

i graduated in 2007 but got hired while i was going to school. were i did my externship at i started to volunteer once a week to help them and after a month i got hired one and didnt even graduate yet. majority of nmy classmates did not have it that great. majority didnt get jobs. volunterring helped

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

dcuevas in Pasadena, California

30 months ago

Kiarbola in Clifton Heights, Pennsylvania said: MA school is a scam and a ripoff. Have you ever looked at the ads for MA jobs? I have and they are all t least 2 years REQUIRED experience, as well as various certifications and the like. Thats even if you see any ads for them. the average that I have seen on Monster.com has been about 5 a month. And the pay for these jobs roughly $9.75/hr. I was making more at my old job! What a scam!!

Just volunteer at a hospital and get FREE experience that way.

i went threw an agency and got 13.00 an hour. it depends were you go. private offices pay less

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

babygirl16 in Fort Walton Beach, Florida

28 months ago

I think that there are a lot of questions that many of us have. I think that for people on their first job interview than ther should be a page on information no matter wha subject it is that we can go to and we can find anything information we need on job interviews and be satisfied with it and not be so nervous compared to not haveing any information and being nervous and not knowing what to expect. For me personaly I wouild like to know what to expect and know what to do and how to go about things in my first job interview and kind of know what to expect before in went in there so i didnt look like i had no clue as to where i was going or as to what i was doing......I dont know i just think that we should all be able to know about what we are getting our self into bfore we do it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Vanessa in Cleveland, Ohio

26 months ago

What is a typical day working in an Urgent Care Center as a Medical Assistant? Can someone answer this question for me?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Loving Mom in Conyers, Georgia

17 months ago

latina in Deltona, Florida said: What should I do? I love my job this is what I want to do. For me being a MA can be fulfulling. But what do you say when your supervisor extends your probation period another month because "she feel there is something about you she cant explain that make her feel I will SNAP" mind you I've never argued with anyone there. Just to let everyone know I get along with everyone... I just don't allow anyone to disrespect me. But there is a way of saying things without hurting peoples feeling. I guess I'm too honest. I don't kiss butt nor do I want mine kissed. I just think she's using her power to hold me down. Is it wise for me to stay?
It will only get worst, I almost thought for a second that I was reading about myself. I am the same exact way and that itself cause alot of intimidation. I personally wouldn't change because someone will accept you for who you are. I feel that it is very important to be comfortable in the work place so that you can gain longevity. If you are never honest within yourself, it will cause discomfort and job loss. Hope this helped!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

melody in Toronto, Ontario

12 months ago

latina in Deltona, Florida said: What should I do? I love my job this is what I want to do. For me being a MA can be fulfulling. But what do you say when your supervisor extends your probation period another month because "she feel there is something about you she cant explain that make her feel I will SNAP" mind you I've never argued with anyone there. Just to let everyone know I get along with everyone... I just don't allow anyone to disrespect me. But there is a way of saying things without hurting peoples feeling. I guess I'm too honest. I don't kiss butt nor do I want mine kissed. I just think she's using her power to hold me down. Is it wise for me to stay?

If you love your job I would suggest to go to your manager and ask how she thinks your work is? if there is something she thinks you can work on, improve on? this way it shows that you really care and you want to do better if you are lacking in something

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.