Really struggling with choosing a field

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

Amy in Valley, Alabama

32 months ago

I know I want to do something medical. I know that I need to make at least 30K. ANd I know I need to be able to find a job in the field. I originally planned on MA but have read that there are very few jobs and way too many applicants. SO I have been leaning towards LPN. But I am also interested in sonography and radiologic technology. I would also enjoy pharmacy technician but have read the same problems as with MA plus low pay. I am really stressing because I start school this fall... signed up for medical office assistant but can still change if needed. I am 31 years old and I feel like I kind of have to make my forever decision now so I can get going in my career.

If I do LPN I would probably move on to RN. I REALLY like the sound of sonography and radiologic but have also read that there are very few jobs. It seems for job security LPN and then RN would be my best bet... But I feel like I am on the brink of a major change in life and so afraid of making the wrong choice.

Any advice??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

tina in Phenix City, Alabama

32 months ago

Amy you and I are in the same boat. I do not know which direction to go in. I am leaning towards lpn as well. I want to be in the medical field but I want to make the correct decision in choosing a field. It is very scary these days with the economy, education, and jobs. You really have to have a solid plan or several plans just in case one dont work out. I was thinking about doing a MA program too but I am skeptical because reading about people not finding jobs after completing the program. However, I have to make a decision soon. I might just go on with the LPN Im not sure though.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Amy in Valley, Alabama

32 months ago

Tina.. Looks like we live in the same area.. Although I am in GA..

It is scary to think of doing any type of schooling that takes around 2-3 years and still not have a job. It does seem that at least with LPN there are a decent amount of jobs in this area. They may be in nursing homes mainly but thats ok. In this economy you can't really be too picky I guess. I also read on here that you can apply for medical assistant jobs as an LPN. So it does seem to have more options.

I am soo curious b/c of where indeed is saying you are located if we are looking at the same school. Are you looking at Columbus Tech or CVCC? I am going to CT but have looked at CVCC as well.
Good luck!!

32 months ago

Hi Amy,

I am in Georgia as well I just did not change the location on this site to Georgia it says Phenix City, AL. I am looking at Columbus Technical College. However, I will have to pay out of pocket for school since I have a degree already I dont qualify for pell. So, the money for school is an issue as well. Thats why I was considering taking up MA since it would be shorter and I thought that I could get to working quicker than with the LPN. I just recently learned about CSU starting an MA program and has payment options so I was going to look into that as well. Either way I need to do something quickly.

Amy in Valley, Alabama

32 months ago

How cool that you are in the area. :) I don't have a degree yet but have changed my major so many times I will run out of pell soon. But as long as I am in a diploma program HOPE pays 90%. Still ends up costing me some but not too bad.
I believe the LPN and MA program are about the same length but I am not sure if there is a waiting list for LPN. I also don't know if you are allowed to apply for MA and LPN the same semester and take whichever you get accepted into. I really need to go talk to an adviser again. :)

Let me know what you decide to do. Maybe we can exchange emails if you want.

32 months ago

Hey Amy,

I will let you know what I decide to do now that I look at it I think the MA and LPN programs are just about the same length as you
have stated. I'm still going to check though. Yeah we can exchange emails that would be cool. My email is aingram25@yahoo.com.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.