certified medical assistant

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (201 to 250 of 1164)
Page:  « First « Previous   2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next »   Last »

Kim in Dover, Ohio

93 months ago

I got pg toward the end of my classes, so I wasn't looking for a job until the baby was born. The dr. I did my externship for was at the hospital when I was there and offered me a job because they liked the work I did and thought I was a good fit for their office. So I didn't start working for about 6 months after I graduated.

The only experience I had prior to working was the course and my externship.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Kim in Dover, Ohio

93 months ago

I got my education at a local Vocational school. It was a 900 hr. program with 180 hrs of externship. It was a very good course.

The course was all I needed to prepare for the job. It really covered everything you will need. The rest I learned at externship. There is so much hands on that you really can't prepare for until you actually get out and do it.

Kim in Dover, Ohio

93 months ago

Benefits that MA's recieve?

As far as in the offices? We have excellent benefits. Very good insurance, great vacation/personal days, and they are very flexible with personal things.

Kiki in Denver, Colorado

93 months ago

Honestly, to find a job as an MA is REALLY hard. Even in Colorado (referring to one of the statement made above). I've graduated in 2002, and still today I have no job in that field. They want EXPERIENCE, and how are you suppose to get experience when you just recently came out of school? I went to a couple of interviews but thats all I've been told, was that I don't have enough experience.

I love the medical field, Im heading back to school to be an RN. Im sure there is more opportunities as a "NURSE" than a "MEDICAL ASSISTANC".

And its so true about the salary they pay for MA's. One place here in Colorado was said to pay an hourly wage of $7 for new graduates!! WOW! HOW AM I SUPPOSE TO PAY MY LOANS OF $10000?

nique in Springfield, Illinois

93 months ago

THANKS FOR ALL THE INFO ON THIS FIELD. I WAS LOST BETWEEN GOING TO SCHOOL FOR LPN OR CMA BUT AFTER READING ALL OF THE COMMENTS MY MIND IS MADE UP ON LPN. I LIVE IN SPRINGFIELD ILLINOIS AND LPN IS STILL AT A HIGH DEMAND. THE SCHOOL THAT I WAS GOING TO FOR CMA WANTED ME TO GET STUDENT LOANS FOR ABOUT $4,000 AND THEY WANT YOU TO GET TWO OF THEM FOR A TOTAL OF $8,000 AND THAT IS WITH FINACIAL AIDE. I CAN GO TO A COMMUNITY COLLAGE IN MY TOWN FOR LPN AND FINANCIAL AIDE COVERS EVERYTHING AND THEN SOME. SO THANKS FOR THE INFO AND I'M SORRY FOR THE LADYS THAT GOT FOOLED. KEEP YOUR HEADS UP OR FIND ANTHER JOB AND GO BACK TO SCHOOL FOR SOMETHING ELSE, EVERYTHING IN LIFE HAPPENS FOR A REASON.

Anonymous-CT in Wallingford, Connecticut

93 months ago

Nique,

PLEASE DON'T GO TO SCHOOL TO BECOME A LPN. I heard throught the grapevine that they are slowly trying to fase out LPN. My teacher CONFIRMED that 2 days ago!!! I am going to school to become a CMA. You either need to become a CMA or RN. Seriously, if you have not ready anything else please read this!!!

Claudette in Greenville, Georgia

93 months ago

Why are they getting rid of LPN and in which state, I live in Georgia and that is not happening here.

Claudette in Greenville, Georgia

93 months ago

Good for you if that is what you want to do that is fine. Good luck, I have read all this comments too and it is sad. I live in Georgia and CMA are in great demand. I finish school March 20, 2007 and I started working the following monday. 12 girls graduate from my class and 90 is already working, the others needed a break thats the only reason they are not working. Here we have allot of clinics, acute care and doctors office, so CMA is in demand. I would encourage anyone before doing the course see if you have those places in your area first before you go to school. It will make no sense doing the course and you cant find places to work. I dont think they are not hiring I just think they are not enough places in your area for you to work. Where I am they employ straight out of school they dont have much of a choice because they need you, there are too many clinics and doctors office and acute care and they need the staff. Good luck to all I really hope you all get a job Medical Assistant is such an awarding job

Donna in Westfield, NJ

93 months ago

Rene' in Landing, New Jersey said: Hello all- I came across this site while searching for something else and I am glad I did. I'd like to offer some hope for those of you out there who seem to feel you wasted time obtaining your CMA. I have been certified since 1994 and yes I had to work my way up. I began by making only $12 an hour and working my butt off- BUT that's where I gained my experience and knowledge. I am now the Manager of a very large healthcare facility in NJ and making $75,000 a year. Here is my advice to all of you. Take the first job that is offered to you, learn all you can while there- the more you learn the more you can place on your resume. Also, be very catious and careful when creating your resume. Most employeers look for accuracy, spelling and grammer. Be sure to have your resume in proper format. Last but not least, when you finally get that interview- make it count! Go in confident and secure. Tell the employeers that although you are a recent grad you are a fast learning and very eager to take on new challenges and tasks! Show then that you would be a good investiment. Learn what you can from there and work your way up. LPN's are being phased out due to CMA's and the fact that CMA's salaries are less. Be positive! Hope I helped out a bit and good luck to all of you! OH AND most importantly. You will be offered more money from a specialty practice rather than a general/internist. Specialty practices such as Cardiology ect. gross more than internists do.
Hi Rene/MAs/CMAs--I too am a CMA, medical office manager/clinician practicing in and out of the medical assisting field over 25yrs now. The bulk of time out was spent raising my three children. I agree with your post renee and would like to add to join the AAMA(american med asst association)and network. They offer many opportunities to network with fellow medical assistants during state and national conventions. Also a good way to earn Ceu's towards recertification.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Patsy in Houston, TX

92 months ago

Bad bad you cannot find a job!! You guys should come to Houston, TX. Here in Houston there are lots of good jobs for us CMA's. I graduated in May 2006 by July of 06 I was hired and they started me at $14.50 an hour. Before I decided to take this job, I had 2 more to choose from. Dont give up!! Even if they paid you $7.00, hey at least you are getting experienced. If it was me I rather suffer one year and not regret it for ever. Good luck.

Marquita Ward in East Windsor, Connecticut

92 months ago

Have you volunteered anywhere. for example, i am a a certified medical assistant. In the past I have volunteered at nursing homes, hospitals, and daycares, and currently doing a externship at a small doctor's office and have gotten jobs because, i have volunteered at so many places because i have volunteered at these places. it might help you in the long run.

Jamie

92 months ago

rose in Gainesville, GA said: i got certified and no one wants to hire you because you don't have a year's experience. This is very disappointing to find out I went to school for nothing! i have faxed, hand delivered, called, replied to ads and nothing keep getting the same story everywhere

Same here i go certified too and it has not made any difference in being hired faster. The school is not helping me either like they said they would i have been out of a job for four months. I had to quite my first job as a front office medical assistant because my boss was so abussive i lasted 5 months. It is very frustrating not having a job but we have to keep the faith god will help all of us in the end we will get hired somewhere.

Sandra in Kodak, Tennessee

92 months ago

rose in Gainesville, GA said: i got certified and no one wants to hire you because you don't have a year's experience. This is very disappointing to find out I went to school for nothing! i have faxed, hand delivered, called, replied to ads and nothing keep getting the same story everywhere

Hello, rose i live in columbus, ga i have had the same problem but i want to know is it who you know instead of what you know to get a job in this field.

michelle-lakeland,Fl

92 months ago

Alane in Sarasota, Florida said: I am sorry to hear all the Medical Assistants are not being hired in your areas. I live in Florida and jobs in healthcare for Medical Assistants are in great demand. I used to be one myself and never had a problem finding work in Pittsburgh, PA. I have recruited for the Medical Society here in Florida and I
must say your resume is your first impression. Perhaps you need some help to perfect your resume. I can help
you if you'd like. Let me know. I have a nice resume
format for you to use. Write back if you want help.

I was doing some research on the criteria for being a Medical Assistant, and came across this page. I was glad when I came across your comments, the other ones were making me a little nervous. I just started scholl a few weeks ago so thanks for the assurance.

Claudette in Gay, Georgia

92 months ago

I live in columbus georgia and there are job like crazy. I went to columbus tech and the people would call the school for new grads. I finished in March 2007 with a class of 12 and 10 of us are working the other 2 wanted to take some time off. I got 4 jobs offer and I took the best one. Other people in my class too had several job offers. Sometimes is who you know, but columbus has too many doctors office, acute care and clinics there are allot of job opening

92 months ago

Hello rose where in Columbus Georgia you live because I live there and there are plenty of jobs, Did you go to columbus tech because employees call the school daily for medical assistant and once they see that you went to columbus tech they want to hire you. I am not yet certified just finish school in march 2007 and I am working $10 a hour working back office (hate administrative stuff) I know a few place which are hiring I will be more than happy to give you details

Ismael Colon in Fort Worth, Texas

92 months ago

To whom it may concern:

I would like to first introduce myself. My name is Ismael Colon with Executive Search Consultants. ESC (Executive Search Consultants) is an independent company that finds and places talent within the various industries.

When time allows, I would like to speak with you in further detail about your employment needs. Please contact me through one of the methods below. Your further interest is greatly appreciated. If interested please send your resume so that I can review it and look make an accurate placement.

Sincerely,

Ismael Colon
President
Executive Search Consultants
Phone: 817.847.5707
Fax: 817.386.7492
Email: i.colon@search-executives.com
Web: www.search-executives.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

sonia brown in Yorba Linda, California

92 months ago

I am goin throough the same thing in Covina, Ca I am so ready to get back to work I'm thinking of taking a job out out of the field to get wroking. It is very disappointing and I was thinking of going to school for LVN once I was settled in at my Dr's office job after school. I wish you good luck in your search and your new medical career and congrats on getting certified I am nationally certified.

deatra in Cincinnati, Ohio

92 months ago

So from all of these emails that I am recieving from you guys. Is there any hope for medical assistants in Cincinnati Ohio. I have heard all of these different stories and I do not know if I should change my major, or if I will be satisfied in the medical assistant career

Rhonda in Atlanta, Georgia

92 months ago

How about this guys, I finished Medical Assistant school in Feb. of 2004 and now I am a Registered Medical Assistant with AMT. No one wants to hire me! When I finished my externship, the Dr. wanted to hire me. I did not accept because a lot of his clients were complaining about him to the manager. I felt as if I accepted, I will be getting myself in some trouble, and they only wanted to pay me $7. I am really having a hard time finding a job in metro Atlanta. I also want to go back to school and earn my BSN, but i am afraid.

natasha

92 months ago

Rhonda in Atlanta, Georgia said: How about this guys, I finished Medical Assistant school in Feb. of 2004 and now I am a Registered Medical Assistant with AMT. No one wants to hire me! When I finished my externship, the Dr. wanted to hire me. I did not accept because a lot of his clients were complaining about him to the manager. I felt as if I accepted, I will be getting myself in some trouble, and they only wanted to pay me $7. I am really having a hard time finding a job in metro Atlanta. I also want to go back to school and earn my BSN, but i am afraid.

hello i am about to take that test how much did you study for it, i know i still having found a job in the field but lucky i have a good job already so i am being patience right now, was it a good test or i need to really study because i bought a book but the info is not really sticking to me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

92 months ago

I did not study. Everything will come to you and don't get nervous because there may be questions that you probably did not learn. Just guess if you do not know it because my test was 200 questions and I was timed. Try to answer as muchas you can and to the best of your knowledge. You will do fine

natasha

92 months ago

thank you so much you have to get at least 70% right the anatomy is killing me

92 months ago

You will do just fine and good luck.

natasha

92 months ago

thank you i have faith, keep up the good work with the job search

LC in Henry, Illinois

92 months ago

Guide

Natasha-I have a copy of the RMA Preview Exam if you or anyone would like it sent to you online. My email address is in my profile.

crystal in Bradenton, Florida

92 months ago

Alane in Sarasota, Florida said: I am sorry to hear all the Medical Assistants are not being hired in your areas. I live in Florida and jobs in healthcare for Medical Assistants are in great demand. I used to be one myself and never had a problem finding work in Pittsburgh, PA. I have recruited for the Medical Society here in Florida and I
must say your resume is your first impression. Perhaps you need some help to perfect your resume. I can help
you if you'd like. Let me know. I have a nice resume
format for you to use. Write back if you want help.

i live in bradenton florida and thought u pay b able to answer a couple question i have.. plz email crystalburton1985@msn.com thanks so much

chuck in Redwood City, California

92 months ago

Emily, ventura ca said: Hi Jill:
In responce,I have worked in a hospital as a teck.I have worked as a on the job training for a family Group practice. New jobs want a person that has had experance for at least one year! and some. I am working as e teck in a privet Hospital now.

---------
You most definately will not be hired, if your resume has spelling errors like in your post, You mispelled basic words like "response, tech, experience, and private.
Medical documentation is critical- and must be free of errors otherwise, you are a liability.

92 months ago

carliey in Opa Locka, Florida said: Hi everyone I want to congraluate you on acheiving degree/certification and becoming license. I think it is wonderful that everyone has acheived their goal, I do feel for not getting what you want on these jobs. I think it is ashamed that empoyers only look for people with experience. I was wondering have anyone ever thought about Registered Nurse? I think that would be a better job, and quick employment. I think Medical Assistant and Registered Nursing are sorta the same just with a little more training. I wish everyone all the luck in the world, and please never get discouraged and give up.

----------------
RN and MA duties are NOT THE SAME. It is not just a little more training. In california, you need chemistry 1, anat & physio, microbilogy- and at least algebra II competency- JUST TO APPLY for an RN. Not sure what the reqs are where you are at.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

92 months ago

Amie in Akron, Ohio in Dover, Ohio said: I graduated from my MA course (900 hr. plus 180 hrs of externship) last June and passed my certification with a 99%. The course was $4800, but with grants I only had to pay half that. I got pregnant towards the end of the school year and decided not to look for work until after the baby was born. The Dr. I did my externship for happened to be at the hospital for a newborn exam while I was there, and she offered me a job whenever I was ready to start working! I've been there a few months now and I absolutely love it! It's a 2 Dr. practice and I get to draw blood, do EKG's, neurometrics, bone density scans, assist with paps and minor surgeries and numerous other things. I just wish it payed what we're worth. If we can do almost anything an LPN can do, why aren't we paid accordingly? I started at $8.75/hr. :-( There are great benefits though, which helps.

----------
The experience you are gaining is priceless. Good Job, best wishes.

LC in Waynesfield, Ohio

92 months ago

Guide

chuck in Redwood City, California said: ---------
You most definately will not be hired, if your resume has spelling errors like in your post, You mispelled basic words like "response, tech, experience, and private.
Medical documentation is critical- and must be free of errors otherwise, you are a liability.

But she sounds like she already IS hired,Chuck. Just like I don't understand how she can write of having an on-the job-training position while at the same time say how they want a year experience everywhere else.

92 months ago

Curious to all who are having the "need experience" thing going on...

Has anyone asked, "for a motivated candidate like myself who has invested in an MA education, what do you suggest I do to gain this experience you are seeking as an MA employer" ??

I am wondering what responses you would get if you throw it back and put the employer on the spot regarding the default response of "you need more experience".

Has anyone tried asking?

LC in Waynesfield, Ohio

92 months ago

Guide

chuck in Redwood City, California said: Curious to all who are having the "need experience" thing going on...

Has anyone asked, "for a motivated candidate like myself who has invested in an MA education, what do you suggest I do to gain this experience you are seeking as an MA employer" ??

I am wondering what responses you would get if you throw it back and put the employer on the spot regarding the default response of "you need more experience".

Has anyone tried asking?

That's the kind of stuff I am wondering. I have posted elsewhere about that worn out excuse by employers,and how the same ones who will use it will ALSO hire in recent students who did their externship there,and those ex-students have the EXACT amount of so called experience,maybe even less,than other ex-students.

Leslie Taylor in Burke, Virginia

92 months ago

When i read this comment instantly i was drown, I throught i was the lonely one this was happen to. Yes doing the faxing, going to interview calling, I throught me going to school the sky is the limited now, all of my dreams was just beginning. It seems now that you need more then some skill, employees wants experience. How can i every gain any experience if NO ONE will give me a chance. I just want someone to give me a chance to change my career and do better for my family.

Kathy in Oaklyn, New Jersey

92 months ago

Take whatever you can get in the medical field! Any experience in the medical field will halp you get a better job in the near future. I started working in the mailroom at a Neurology practice, then got a job as a CMA at an OB GYN's office, now I work as a front desk receptionist at an eye doctor's office, and this Thursday I have an interview at a plastic surgeons office. Good luck with everything!!!!!

natasha

92 months ago

well well well let me find out jersey has all the jobs lol i live in new york city and still didn't get a job and i have a applied for alot of positions clerical i am a medical assistant about to take the test to become certified keep up the good work let me know if you hear about any positions in the city.

92 months ago

Hi everyone! I am so excited! I finally have another interview, and I hope and pray that I get the job. I don't interview so well, so please wish me the best of luck. It has been since 2004 I was certified and have not landed a job yet. Any advice???
Rhonda

natasha

92 months ago

always remember if they ask you the question tell me about your self you talk about your skills, any question you talk about your skills and make sure you have at least three questions to ask them that lets themn know you are interested in the position you never ask about salary, you can ask is this a new position, always remember stay calm and great eye contact you will do fine, if they ask what can you do for us and why you want the position talk about your skills

92 months ago

Thank you, I will use the information you gave me. I feel very confident.

92 months ago

Hi Natasha,

I just received you email, I would like to thank you for reminding me about having question to ask at the interview, because for some reason that is were i lose it sometimes

92 months ago

Hello Natasha,

How do you know what position to take if you have learn skill from your school. What if you have skill in clerical but you did not have a lot of medical clerical what then.

natasha

92 months ago

did you get my message about there is not much of a different working in a doctor office doing clerical than in a regular office

92 months ago

You are telling me that you are in Atlanta, Georiga and you haven't had a job since 2004 every block you work there is a doctor or clinical or urgent care place. Oh my goodness!!!!!!!!

nique in Springfield, Illinois

92 months ago

Anonymous-CT in Wallingford, Connecticut said: Nique,

PLEASE DON'T GO TO SCHOOL TO BECOME A LPN. I heard throught the grapevine that they are slowly trying to fase out LPN. My teacher CONFIRMED that 2 days ago!!! I am going to school to become a CMA. You either need to become a CMA or RN. Seriously, if you have not ready anything else please read this!!!

I HAVE NOT BEEN GIVEN THAT INFO. CAN U ASK YOUR TEACHER WHAT STATE THIS IS HAPPENING IN CAUSE WERE I LIVE ITS A HIGH DEMAND FOR LPN'S AND RN'S AND EVEN CNA'S BUT NOT REALLY CMA'S. I GET A NEWS PAPER EVERY SUNDAY AND SOMEONE OR SOME PLACE IS ALWAYS NEEDING HELP WITH LPNS AND CNAS AND EVEN RNS BUT NOT TO MUCH CMAS. I HAVE A SON TO TAKE CARE OF AND BILLS I CAN GET A JOB AT MICKEY DEE'S PAYING 7-9 DOLLARS AND HOUR FOR REAL SO I CANT TAKE MY CHANCES AND THEN U HAVE THE LOANS TO. NO THANKS I WILL PASS ON THAT ONE. BUT THANKS FOR THE REPLY.

Rhonda in Powder Springs, Georgia

92 months ago

When I was in school for MA, they did let us know that LPN is slowly going to phase out nationwide. Our teachers told us because some of the students were saying that they will eventually get their LPN or RN and they advised not to get LPN. Get this, I was in MA school in 2003.

Rhonda in Powder Springs, Georgia

92 months ago

I will tell you that if you don't have the experience and you don't know anyone to help you get in the door, it will be hard for you in Atlanta. Not saying that you will not be successful and don't give up, it will be hard, because a lot of people have moved here and they are still coming, and there is a lot of competition.

Crystal in Birmingham, Alabama

91 months ago

You guys are scarying me. I start class next week at virginia college in birmingham alabama and they help you find a job when you get through, hopefully I can find one. All I have to say is keep looking everyone and praying and you will find something, God Bless!!

bashu in South Colby, Washington

91 months ago

judy in Woodville, Florida said: i live in florida and i would love to see your resume format please. my name is judy

i need your help to build resume so please give me your e mail add

thanks

bp

Margie in Carpentersville, Illinois

91 months ago

You have to sell yourself at the interview, you have to go in there confident and not nervous.

Sabrina in Baton Rouge, Louisiana

91 months ago

I just recently got out of the military and have been looking for a job for the last 3 mos...in VA 10 an hr was not gonna cut it...I'm not certified in medical assistant but I do have 3+ yrs of experience. I can be certified by sending in 60 bucks and an application because of the schooling and experience I had in the Navy. I am not being offered the money I think I deserve for medical assistant. I do not like being treated like I have no experience and have just gotten out of school. There is no way I'm gonna let someone tell me they are gonna pay me 8 and 9 dollars for what I do. I work really hard. That is ridiculous! People keep saying the medical field is the way to go but I think they are trying to scam people into working for nothing! I love medicine....but I don't think it's fair if ur a CNA or MA and you know the work you do can be strenuous, to have someone tell you they're gonna pay you squat even with yrs of experience. That's whack. After taxes it's like making a buck or two less anyways.

Page:  « First « Previous   2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.