Where to go after medical assisting

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

Tyara in Whitman, Massachusetts

66 months ago

I received a medical assisting certificate in 2005. I was unable to find work for a few months so I just went with another job that would pay the bills until I figured out things. I ended up being certified as a pharmacy technician and found a office that was looking for someone with experience in both. With my limited MA use they were hesitant but loved me so I was hired. I've been working with patients and found that I really missed doing MA work. It's really the only job I've had that I can see myself doing for a long period of time. I'm hoping to eventually become a doctor's personal MA.

That being said, if I want to do MA work for a long period of time I wanted to know what other degrees I can get to eventually increase my salary. I was thinking LPN since it has night and weekend programs and then a LPN-RN program with the same schedule. I have no interest in working in a hospital and would love to spend my years working at a doctor's office. Any thoughts or suggestions??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Nanlisa in Upper Darby, Pennsylvania

66 months ago

Tyara: Where did you go to school at? Did they have job placement assistance?

If being a medical assistant is what you like doing, then by all means; go for. If you decide to become either an LPN or an RN, you can still work in a doctor's office. RN's and LPN's work in nursing homes and clinics as well as hospitals. But I know you said that you don't want hospital work.

If you want to be an RN or an LPN, check out the college nursing programs in your area and see what they have to offer.

If you can't get a medical assistant job, you have the pharmacy technician job to fall back on.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.