What happened to Pacific College of Med Assistants in San Diego, CA?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 114)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

B in Valley Center, California

74 months ago

Terri- Did you take the certification test? How do you think you did?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Terri in Eugene, Oregon

74 months ago

Can't take it because I haven't worked in a doctors office since 1980. And I can't find a doctors office that will hire me without the certificate. If I could work for a year or two, then I would be able to challenge the test. But, I can't get a job... so I'm screwed. I would have to take the complete course over, which costs about $13,000 now, instead of the measly $1,800 my dad paid in 1978. Not sure what I'm going to do. Still on LTD for now, due to my last job at the city library. Arggggg.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

Did you not find your transcripts?

74 months ago

I'm sorry Terri, I thought you were ready to take the test. I received my transcripts a few months back as we all did from Mr. O'Brien. I sent them to the AAMA with my money and took the CMA test this morning. Won't know my results until Oct.

Terri in Eugene, Oregon

74 months ago

Yes I did!! Geez, I received really great grades. I was a very good student. I remember totally committing myself to that 9mos.

I found that working with some docs really wasn't all that fun. So when I got a chance to work at the hospital for twice as much money and incredible benefits, I jumped on it. Left the doctors office scene behind me.

I shouldn't have left my clinical lab job in Bend. But I moved to another town due to a divorce. I haven't been able to find a laboratory over here in Eugene that is worthy of my knowledge, especially for 1/3 less pay. I don't want to move back to Bend, it's too cold and congested for my taste anymore. Not sure what I'm going to be when I grow up LOL

Cheers,
Terri

Kim Westbrook-Wurm in Redlands, California

73 months ago

You guys are great. I graduated from Pacfic Coast in 1981. I work'd many years as a MA in San Diego,Ca. I move and left the field and at 51 going back to school for the nursing program. My kids are raised and needed this info so bad.I feel in the next 10 years there is such a demand. And 2 of my girlfriends just graduated from a 2 year RN program that are 56...We can't forget our dreams of helping...You guys are the best. I have been laid off of my current job and need this to apply for a hospital job...
Thank you so much..Wish me luck in starting school..Come join me....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kathy in Tarpon Springs, Florida

73 months ago

Good luck, I am also getting into a 2 year RN program, but I cannot even APPLY until March of next year to enter in the fall of 2009.

I had to get my pre-req's out of the way and I am working full time,
plus I need a high GPA to be ahead of all these kids (I am 44).
Anyway it will be worth it, you will be able to get a job anywhere
and most of the BSN courses are online so I am planning on going right into that after the Associates.

Lori Pearson in Chandler, Arizona

73 months ago

I went to medical assistant school at southwestern medical acadamy in Phoenix AZ. It is now closed how would I geta copy of my certificate

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

Back track. Call all the schools where Southwestern was then and are now and see who may have bought them out. After reading our comments above you can see we found records from the 70's and 80's. Contact the City of Phoenix business records and archives for leads, this can be done via City websites and e-mail. The AAMA will let you know if they were accredited while they were in business. Lastly, keep searching the internet and throw your questions out there. Who would have known a year ago that we would have started a Pacific College alumni chat that became so productive? Good luck and be persistant.
Anyone else have ideas?

Kim Westbrook-Wurm in Redlands, California

73 months ago

I am proud to say that we need to do this now by getting the RN degree..I now can really focus on myself after raising a family as a single mom. And I don't care if I am 60..life always begin each morning. And I need to know I can take care of myself in this wonderful line of work..I have a friend who we are going to do the buddy system and finish this..

I hope to have my transcripts this weeek. Mr. O'brien is no longer there..And a wonderful young lady is getting them for me. I wonder if I can take my boards in Ca while in Nursing school? I have not work'd in this field for 23 years..Does anyone have a thought on this..
Kim

Claudia in Longmont, Colorado

73 months ago

I am looking for any information on Colorado College of Medical and Dental Assistants. Attended in 72.

Please let me know if anyone has any information regarding this school, acquisition by another school etc...

After reading the abive posts, I will contact various medical assit. schools in Denver and see if they have any information.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sylvia Thompson in Laughlin, Nevada

72 months ago

I graduated in 1974 and have worked as a medical transcriptionist since then. I don't even still have my diploma. I am now looking into medical billing/coding courses and have to prove that I graduated and what grades I received. I think I'm up a creek without a paddle (or diploma).

Nancy in Los Angeles, California

71 months ago

I graduated from California Learning Center June 2006. School then shortly closed where do I get transcrips for school and how can I get cirtified as a Medical Assistant.

clearndf in Garden Grove, California

71 months ago

How can obtain transcrips from California Learning Center located in Santa Ana, CA

MARLA in Ramona, California

69 months ago

Wow! I'm so impressed with all of the detective work! When prompted to add your schools on social networking sites, I am always at a loss for one of the most important schools in my education history.

Finally found this site today. Thank you all for your determination in locating the information. I was a Dental Assistant graduate in 1982 and worked at it for less than 2 years. Got married and started a good business, so I don't foresee going back to dental assisting. But...it sure would be nice to have my records. And, you never know!

Thanks again! You all rock!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

jayrene in Hampton, Virginia

67 months ago

I found it very helpful. I went to a school called Golden State College and got my medical assistant diploma. The school no longer exist. I lost my diploma during a moving process. I need to know how I can obtain a copy of it.

67 months ago

I too am in the same boat. I attended Colorado College of Medical and Dental Assistants over 30 years ago and they no longer exsist. I also need to get my transcript and certificate. I am wondering if one of the larger medical assistant programs located here in Colorado and other states acquired the school. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to find out. I have done many google searches but nothing!

Kathy in Clearwater, Florida

67 months ago

you can go back to the thread--no problem, I have the info--Concorde Career College has the transcripts from Pacific College
4393 Imperial Ave
San Diego, CA 92113

I think the man's name is Mark-but you can call
you have to fax a request to them or just listen to the message

They will give you diploma's or transcripts
for some reason this will not allow me to put a phone number in here!!

Tammie in Hernando, Mississippi

66 months ago

Theresa Theobald in Eugene, Oregon said: I am a 1978 graduate of Pacific College of Medical and Dental Assistants in San Diego, CA. My last name while attending the college was Labate. I need to take the certification class next year. But I cannot find any listing of this school, where my transcripts are, course descriptions and proof that this was an Accredited College. I have to be able to prove that it was accredited for the test. I live in Eugene, OR now. Lane Community College gives the test once a year, in June. Is anyone here a grad from this College? Please help!!
Thanks,
Terri Theobald
chuckt@efn.org

Dang, I can't believe this, I graduated from there in 87 and I need a copy of my transcript for the VA, boy just my luck! If it wasn't for bad luck I would have no luch at all. I still have my diploma somewhere, so guess I had better start looking. I will save this discussion though, might be useful anyway.

marie falkner in Milton Freewater, Oregon

66 months ago

We meaning 6 out of 22 students took the course at walla walla comm.college and were told it was accredied only to find it was a cert. in the 3rd quarter of the program. So we are not able to take the national test until wwcc becomes accredied, up to 3-4 years.Brad the starter of the program stated it was through Yakima Valley College and thats why we were taking so many on-line classes. The last week in the 3rd quarter we found out differently when he came into the class room and told us. Is there any way to take the test. Our last quarter, 4 quarters long (11 weeks included 210 hours of clinicals.We complained and they became very mad and stated it was in our best interest not to presue and just wait it out. Would like to know if anyone else has had this problem and they also stated it didn't make a difference in pay or where you worked as long as it was a cert.We went in good faith and got ambused big time I was 1 quarter from a degree in med.admis. now no more time or money to finish a degree.

colleen Abraham in Royal Oak, Michigan

66 months ago

Claudia in Longmont, Colorado said: I am looking for any information on Colorado College of Medical and Dental Assistants. Attended in 72.

Please let me know if anyone has any information regarding this school, acquisition by another school etc...

After reading the abive posts, I will contact various medical assit. schools in Denver and see if they have any information.

Hi Claudia, I havent heard from anyone who ever went to The Colorado College of Medical and Dental Assistance. I went there in 1981 when it was on Speer Rd. in Denver, Colorado. I have an e-mail address of a friend who went to school with me. But I don't know if she still answers to it. I will try to concact her. I have had great luck since graduating and moving back home to Michigan in '82. I worked in a large medical clinic as a floater working in everything from Internal, OB/GYN, Emergency, Endocrine, podiatry, Cardiology, neuro. Then I left with 2 doctors who wanted to get there own practice outside of the clinic, I followed them to Sinai Hospital in Detroit working with them in Gastroenterology. I then worked for a D.O. and subbed for a gal who left on maternity and helped give chemo treatments. I then left on my maternity for 17 years to raise 5 children. I was a regular at our family physicians office as my children have several medical conditions: epilepsy, 4 kids and husband with Juvenile diabetes, and one child with kidney disease. One day the family doctor offered me a job. I worked there for 2 years then a new gastro doctor for another 2 years. I semi-retired to continue raising the youngest. But what a great career. I do regret that I didn't get my R.N. Before the Med. Asst. school I did get a 2 year Associates degree but that's all and I am 47 years old. Who know, maybe. I'll be in touch.

65 months ago

Thank you so much for sending me this information.
I wonder if another larger school bought them out.
Will look forward to your response.

Claudia

Lynda in San Diego, California

64 months ago

You ladies are incredible!! I went to Pacific College in 1983 and have written to the Board of Education and called around with dead ends everywhere. I'm no longer working as an MA although I did earn my CMA through testing. I found that clinical research pays much higher than any other field for CMAs. Now I am a Certified Massage Technician (CMT)- I love the appreciation you get from clients and the physical nature of the work.

Thank you so much for finding the transcripts. Now I can go back to school and not feel like I've been jipped out of previous training. I couldn't imagine how I had a government loan to attend Pacific College and then they could just disappear.

Go woman power!!

mlinberg in San Diego, California

64 months ago

Theresa Theobald in Eugene, Oregon said: I am a 1978 graduate of Pacific College of Medical and Dental Assistants in San Diego, CA. My last name while attending the college was Labate. I need to take the certification class next year. But I cannot find any listing of this school, where my transcripts are, course descriptions and proof that this was an Accredited College. I have to be able to prove that it was accredited for the test. I live in Eugene, OR now. Lane Community College gives the test once a year, in June. Is anyone here a grad from this College? Please help!!
Thanks,
Terri Theobald
chuckt@efn.org

Im a DA grad from 1988. About 10 years ago I was looking for proof of my radiation safty coarse, and found out Pacific College had been bought by Concord. I got the info I needed through there. They also said our records were stored in Washington somewhere? Hope this helps!

tweety4lg@yahoo.com in Beeville, Texas

63 months ago

Claudia in Longmont, Colorado said: I am looking for any information on Colorado College of Medical and Dental Assistants. Attended in 72.

Did you ever find any info fo Colorado College Of Medical and Dental ? I really need to find them also.

63 months ago

tweety4lg@yahoo.com in Beeville, Texas said: Did you ever find any info fo Colorado College Of Medical and Dental ? I really need to find them also.

I attended colorado college of medical and dental in 1986 and need to get my transcrpt, did anyone find out who took over or where to get them? Help please

63 months ago

tweety4lg@yahoo.com in Beeville, Texas said: I attended colorado college of medical and dental in 1986 and need to get my transcrpt, did anyone find out who took over or where to get them? Help please

COlorado College of Medical and Dental Assitants was purchased by Concord Career College. All old school transcripts have been archived.

Transcrips can be obtained by:

Submitting a letter with the following information:
Name at time of attendance and graduation
Social Security Number
Year of attendance and graduation
Signature
5 dollar check to cover process and handling

Send to:
Concord Career College
111 No. Havana
Aurora, Co. 80010
Attention: Registrar

I tried to send you a phone nuber but this blog won't let me. If you need to get in touch with them you can get the nuber off their web site.

Please let me know when you recieve your information. Hoep they are able to process quickly.

Good luck,
Claudia

Signature
u

63 months ago

Thank you for the info . I am going to contact them right away.

Lynette

Debbi Bryant in Las Vegas, Nevada

62 months ago

Thanks,
Terri Theobald
chuckt@efn.org

Pacific College lost its accreditation in 1988. They then changed to a technical school called Concorde. I was in the middle of my courses when this all happened. It is a mess and I will never forgive them. You can, however, get intouch with Concord Career College and they WILL have your records. I was able to find mine later after I left San Diego.

Debbi Bryant in Las Vegas, Nevada

62 months ago

Lynda in San Diego, California said: You ladies are incredible!! I went to Pacific College in 1983 and have written to the Board of Education and called around with dead ends everywhere. I'm no longer working as an MA although I did earn my CMA through testing. I found that clinical research pays much higher than any other field for CMAs. Now I am a Certified Massage Technician (CMT)- I love the appreciation you get from clients and the physical nature of the work.

Thank you so much for finding the transcripts. Now I can go back to school and not feel like I've been jipped out of previous training. I couldn't imagine how I had a government loan to attend Pacific College and then they could just disappear.

Go woman power!!

Pacific College lost its accreditation in 1988. They then changed to a technical school called Concorde. I was in the middle of my courses when this all happened. It is a mess and I will never forgive them. You can, however, get intouch with Concord Career College, they are located in Mission Valley on Camino de La Riena, I think! They WILL have information on your records. I was able to find mine later after I left San Diego. Good Luck. Don't lose faith. Debbi B

62 months ago

I too had to find out what had happened to my medical assistant school. It was acquired by Concorde also. I recently called the school here in Denver. I had to write a letter with year graduated, name while attending, SS# and a $5.00 check to cover their record search. It took about 6 weeks to get my transcript - good luck!

62 months ago

Claudia in Longmont, Colorado said: I too had to find out what had happened to my medical assistant school. It was acquired by Concorde also. I recently called the school here in Denver. I had to write a letter with year graduated, name while attending, SS# and a $5.00 check to cover their record search. It took about 6 weeks to get my transcript - good luck!

6/17/09
Update on my transcript. Mailed out all information on May 5th and received my transcript on June 12th. Hope you have received your transcript too.

Martha in Hillsboro, Oregon

61 months ago

Claudia in Longmont, Colorado said: 6/17/09
Update on my transcript. Mailed out all information on May 5th and received my transcript on June 12th. Hope you have received your transcript too.

Claudia, what was the name of the school you attended? before Concorde acquired it. I went to Portland Paramedical Center in Portland Oregon for medical assisting. I graduated in 1980 and I'm also trying to get my transcipts or something that shows I completed the course.

61 months ago

I went to Colorado College of Medical and Dental Assistants
Good luck in your search, it took me awhile to find out that Concorde purchased my old school. Because Concord is nation wide, that is where I would check first.

murphyleonore@yahoo.com in El Cajon, California

61 months ago

Thanks,
Terri Theobald
chuckt@efn.org

Hi, look for a major city close to your old school city, there might be a sister school of the same, it happened to me once.good luck.

tarihansen in Ellensburg, Washington

59 months ago

Wow, this information was so helpful ladies. Thank you so much. I attended in 1986 Pacific College and obtained my CMA. I worked in La Jolla, CA for a time then relocated after my cousin passed. I'm currently looking to go back to school for perhaps my RN degree. Recently divorced and 4 kids to raise. Just got off the phone with Monica at concorde and I will email her info with scanned signature sothat she can send me the inforamtion. Not sure if I will need it for the CWU that I'm applying to but it is nice to have. Thanks for all you've done. I had a good friend that I met at school named Alma Patterson, wish I could find her again.
Tari

Rachael in Eugene, Oregon

59 months ago

LC in Cleveland, Ohio said: Have you been working as an MA? I was under the impression that it only takes work experience to take the RMA exam. Here are the AMT requirements-

3. Applicant must meet one of the following requirements:

A. Applicant shall be a graduate of a:

1. Medical assistant program that holds programmatic accreditation by (or is in a post-secondary school or college that holds institutional accreditation by) the Accrediting Bureau of Health Education Schools (ABHES) or the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Programs (CAAHEP) OR,

2. Medical assistant program in a post-secondary school or college that has institutional accreditation by a Regional Accrediting Commission or by a national accrediting organization approved by the United States Department of Education. That program must include a minimum of 720 clock hours (or equivalent) of training in medical assisting skills (including a clinical externship) OR,

3. Formal medical services training program of the United States Armed Forces.

B. Experience

Applicant shall have been employed in the profession of Medical Assisting for a minimum of five (5) years, no more than two (2) years of which may have been as an instructor in a postsecondary medical assistant program.

4. Applicants applying under 3 A or B must take and pass the AMT certification examination for Registered Medical Assistant (RMA).

Have you contacted AMT and spoken to them about your situation? I know you wanted to go with AAMA but if AMT will permit you to take the exam,not to mention it's a little easier test,then I would try that.

I also live in Eugene Oregon and am attending Lane Community College as a participant in the Medical (Office) Assistant (MOA) Certification program. I can only say good things about the program so far and my instructors and program director advise that the ONLY certification respected within the medical community here is the AAMA certification.

Robin Enos Waters in San Jacinto, California

55 months ago

I can't help her find her records and actually need help myself. I'm now 48. I went to Pacific College of Dental Assistants back in early 80's, passes CA test, got my RDA and CA X-Ray Cert, worked for a Dr Hymes in San Diego for almost two years then moved to MA. Worked for the next 15 yrs as a dental assistant there. I'm back in Ca now and desperately trying to get into the Dental Hygenist course so I can earn more money, BUT .... no one can find any record of my ever graduating from the RDA course at Pacific College. They say it must be archived and I've asked, (even begged)for someone to dig it up, but so far I'm hitting a brick wall. Without "proof" I went there, and was awarded my RDA I'm dead in the water. Does anyone have any advice for me?

55 months ago

Robin Enos Waters in San Jacinto, California said: I can't help her find her records and actually need help myself. I'm now 48. I went to Pacific College of Dental Assistants back in early 80's, passes CA test, got my RDA and CA X-Ray Cert, worked for a Dr Hymes in San Diego for almost two years then moved to MA. Worked for the next 15 yrs as a dental assistant there. I'm back in Ca now and desperately trying to get into the Dental Hygenist course so I can earn more money, BUT .... no one can find any record of my ever graduating from the RDA course at Pacific College. They say it must be archived and I've asked, (even begged)for someone to dig it up, but so far I'm hitting a brick wall. Without "proof" I went there, and was awarded my RDA I'm dead in the water. Does anyone have any advice for me?

Hi there, you have to contact Concord College in San Diego, they have all the records and I think for $5 you can get your transcripts. They have a web site but you will have to google it I think, I don't know it offhand.

Kathy Davis

Robin Enos Waters in San Jacinto, California

55 months ago

Thanks but I've been in touch with them for over a year now and all I get is that they are unable to find my records. I was told someone would need to search the archives. What does that mean, search manually? I picture a large space filled with boxes. Didn't they use computers back then or at least microfiche?

I've tried everything but going postal on them.

55 months ago

Robin Enos Waters in San Jacinto, California said: Thanks but I've been in touch with them for over a year now and all I get is that they are unable to find my records. I was told someone would need to search the archives. What does that mean, search manually? I picture a large space filled with boxes. Didn't they use computers back then or at least microfiche?

I've tried everything but going postal on them.

I went to school there in '86, and I have done the records twice now-
don't know why it would be a problem.

coxk2009 in Hesperia, California

55 months ago

Hi everyone i have a serious question.... I graduated in 2008 form a vocational school in NY, i have moved since then to california. My question is can i work in a hospital or any facility in california with the diploma i already have or do i need one from california?

Marla in Ramona, California

54 months ago

I just started a face book group of alumni of Pacific College of Medical & Dental Assistants.

If you'd like to join, please go to face book and search "Pacific College of Medical & Dental Assistants", as I cannot post a direct link here.

I elected to make it a CLOSED group, so that we don't get a bunch of junk posted. You'll have to request to join the group for the time being. I've already had some random person try to sign up.

Hope to see you there!

Tari Hansen in Ellensburg, Washington

54 months ago

Off the subject:
I attended PC in 1986 and I'm looking for Alma Patterson. She and I were friends while going to school and I would love to re-connect with her. I'm currently working in the construction field but did request my transcrips for college purposes. They as of yet, have been unable to locate them.

Tari Hansen in Ellensburg, Washington

54 months ago

Marla in Ramona, California said: I just started a face book group of alumni of Pacific College of Medical & Dental Assistants.

If you'd like to join, please go to face book and search "Pacific College of Medical & Dental Assistants", as I cannot post a direct link here.

I elected to make it a CLOSED group, so that we don't get a bunch of junk posted. You'll have to request to join the group for the time being. I've already had some random person try to sign up.

Hope to see you there!

I tried the search and cannot find it. I cut and pasted the Pacific College of Medical & Dental Assistants above and was unable to locate your facebook page. Help...

kim westbrook in Canyon Country, California

54 months ago

they can't find anything on mine. I work'd at Mercy Hospital..This is so sad...I really need them to ..for work..

Marla

54 months ago

Tari Hansen in Ellensburg, Washington said: I tried the search and cannot find it. I cut and pasted the Pacific College of Medical & Dental Assistants above and was unable to locate your facebook page. Help...

Tari, I opened the group. See of that helps.

JerisJ in Salt Lake City, Utah

45 months ago

Claudia in Longmont, Colorado said: I went to Colorado College of Medical and Dental Assistants
Good luck in your search, it took me awhile to find out that Concorde purchased my old school. Because Concord is nation wide, that is where I would check first.

Claudia, I also graduated from Colorado College of Medical and Dental Assistants in '73. Were you able to get transcripts from Concorde? I went on to get a degree in business including an MBA so never worked in the field after I did my internship with a Doctor in Salt Lake. I am now retired but young enough I want to volunteer in some free clinics so it would help if I could show this background. Thanks, Jeri

Medical Assistant in Springfield, Massachusetts

42 months ago

Anybody who does NOT YET know what a MEDICAL ASSISTANT is, it is nicely explained at www.medicalassistant.net/what_is_medical_assistant.htm --

Those who want to POST ON THE MEDICAL ASSISTANT OPEN FORUM with medical assistant students or already working medical assistants can do it at www.medicalassistant.net/medical_assistant_web_forum.htm --

AND YES, they also feature Indeed medical assistant jobs.

Juno in Olympia Fields, Illinois

42 months ago

Usually when colleges like this go away, there are problems with the funding of the schools, it happens but fortunately there are more opportunities out there

Resource: becomeamedicalassistant.org/

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.