I have A felony

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 158)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

sorty doo wop in Cleveland, Ohio

60 months ago

I graduated from school to become a medical assistant but i caught a felony case it not a violent or drug case but a theft case i dont know what to do what kind of career would i be able to work with a felony hanging over my head please help

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (417) / No (88) Reply - Report abuse

kelly d. in Marshall, Virginia

60 months ago

I believe everybody desires a second chance!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (40) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

Matt in Layton. in Sandy, Utah

60 months ago

todd robles in channelview, Texas said: i also have a felony, i did ten years in prison and was released in dec of 2005. ive only had tickets since then. but does anyone know of companies that will hire me? i have almost 4 years of exp in warehouse, forklift operations and alittle exp in supervisor of shipping receiving, i am very familiar with the system mepaw and c2c for receiving..i know how to load and unload trucks.i am a dependable worker, i was employed with dixie box and crating in houston for a little over a year and within 6 months i made supervisor.please contact me.. thanks.todd robles

Good evening Todd Robles, Merry Christmas to you. The only thing that comes to mind...is maybe go and learn a new trade...like take what you did in the past and use to help others on how to prevent others from being robbed or whatever it was that you did and turn it around. You might want to talk to your local police dept and see what program they have that might work for you and with the proper training this could work for you. "Its just a thought"! There are church groups out there that do help people that have been in jail for worse things and their lives have been turned around. I'm not judging you the man upstairs is charge of that...and believe you are still a child of God and he does love you...all things are possible with him. Good luck to you and Merry Christmas.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (21) Reply - Report abuse

Matt in Layton. in Sandy, Utah

60 months ago

Lisataylor in Dayton, Ohio said: You stupid criminals. I wouldn't hire you, you should be in the homeless shelter... thief and criminal!

Good evening Ma'am, Merry Christmas to you and your family. Ma'am we are all Gods children and we are all sinners also. I'm not trying to preach to you. Everyone in this world does deserve a second chance as long as ask for forgiveness form our Heavenly Father. Take and God bless.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

Middle Aged Man in Murfreesboro, Tennessee

60 months ago

Got something hanging over your head that follows you around?

I made a lot of really stupid mistakes in my life, it got me a lot of bad heartaches ... but that is long in my past because a made a determined change in my life. It took me from really stupid to a $400,000 house and three kids (and 15 years).

On the wrong end of society? Do this with confidence.

Make amends in your mind and before God that you will always do the right thing going forward. No matter what. No Ifs or Buts. This message is harsh, but if you will not take charge of yourself ... you really are lazy, defective and deserve nothing from those that produce real value. It is your choice. If you take govt money...it is not free...it steals your pride and chains you into slavery/misery. It is true. Don't mooch, don't loot.

Hire yourself. Clean up, be polite Start doing something that people have little to risk with you and don't require a background check. Start as low as you can with a contrite heart. Rake leaves, pick trash, mow lawns ... just do something that when you are done with it...you can be proud of what you left behind. Underpromise and overdeliver to the person that gave you a chance.

Get paid then repeat ... while always asking for more work and contacts where your customer refers their friends to you.

Repeat again. Work hard, make amends, regrow your pride. Morning til dark. Don't slow down, don't stop. Make amends. It is hard, but it gets better every day.

Take every setback (and there will be many) as a lemon to somehow make lemonade out of. Pride yourself not to whine to any one. Just reroute around the problem to your next victory. Give thanks in your mind each accomplishment and vow to make more.

Learn. Go up a notch. Straight out ask people how to make more money. Save it. Pinch pennies. Learn even more.

Finally, find someone else to help. Helping them helps you inside twice what they get.

Best regards,
M

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (55) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

Matt in Layton. in Salt Lake City, Utah

56 months ago

Sunrise in Bronx, New York said: there is no god wake up.

Hi there, If you don't mind asking what was your crime? Because whatever type crime it was can effect you working as a Medical Assistant or not. It also depends what state you live in as well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

military mom in Denver, Colorado

55 months ago

I also have drug-related felonies that are now 15 years old. I have worked in healthcare over 35 years. I went to residential treatment fornine months and have been clean for 15 years now. I did complete MA school in 2004 because I was told the school had a 95% placement rate. I now know there are so many MA's out there that the chances of being hired are very low. Every MA job I interviewed for has turned me down for the above reason. I'm now a file clerk in a nursing home. I found nursing homes might give you a chance more so than hospitals or clinics. This is something that is very difficult to get past so don't get discouraged if you really want this. But it is going to be harder for you than others. It is too bad really, because I find I work much harder for someone willing to give me a chance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

CareerGuru in San Francisco, California

53 months ago

have you considered going back to school for a while until it "ages"?

Sarah
It's never to late to work on your interview skills...
blog at job-search-success-secrets.com/blog/

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

jesse in Scottsboro, Alabama

52 months ago

i have a felony on my record in alabama for possesion of controled substance, can i work as a medical assistant. my charge was 2 yrs. ago.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (77) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

Matt, NCMA in Salt Lake City, Utah

52 months ago

scretive in Harbor City, California said: hello, everyone .. well i have a questions and i hope that it can be answered... I was convicted with two felonies that got converted to a strike when i was 17years old.. i did a year in jail.. but i cannot spunch or seal my record but can i still get hired as a medical assistant????????

Hi there, It would depend on what the two felonies are for that you have, and how long its been. When you talk to employer during an interview, be honest with them up front. And last but not least try not to get into any more trouble.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Ashley Holliday Benjamin in Kendallville, Indiana

51 months ago

Hello everyone! I have just a few questions but first I'm going to tell you a little bit about my problems. I joined the Military and became an MP. (Military Police). When I got back from basic/AIT a month later I recieved a drug felony of poss. of methamphetamine. The circumstances are really difficult to explain. I started dating a man right when I got back from basic/AIT and he was involved with drug trafficing and manufacturing, and I was unaware. He borrowed my vehicle and was pulled over with a Meth Lab in it. He ran from the vehicle. They then came and arrested me and tried to charge me with Aiding in the Manufacturing of methamphetamine. When they arrested me the jail gave me a urine test. Obviously, I was clean. I had no meth in my system. So they started listening to my story. It was so embarassing! I bonded out and later plead guilty to poss. of Methamphetamine as a lesser charge. The military did not kick me out because of all the passed urine tests and they gave me a chance to tell my side of the story. It is a felony charge that I plead guilty to so I was so worried that I was going to be court marshalled. I wasn't! I was blessed, you could say. Now, the judge did tell me that later on after I completed my 6 month sentence and paid my fees and fines that he would think about lowering the felony to a misdameanor for miltary reasons. I'm not sure how to go about doing it since I hadn't had a lawyer at all through this whole ordeal. My life is still going the way it was before but now because of the felony I can't get any assistance with the government for my beautiful children. They did absolutely nothing wrong. So why? Also, I completed college going to school to be an MA, and now after reading some of these posts, I don't think I entered the right schooling. I'm absolutly terrified. I am going to pay for my entire schooling too. I need some advice! BAD! Why do people never get a second chance in life!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

EL JAYJAY in charlotte, North Carolina

51 months ago

Go to misssisippi. They are the best state for felons
to live. North Carolina & Georgia are da worst.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Sharon in Kissimmee, Florida

51 months ago

Ashley Holliday Benjamin in Kendallville, Indiana said: I just don't get it!! I just found out that while I completed school I still have clinicals to do. To do the clinicals you can't have a felony conviction of drugs or abuse.. I don't have an abuse felony, just a drug one.. Well, not JUST... I just don't get it. Maybe I should write the president or something. Not that it would do any good.. I just wish there was another way to get around my past! What does Mississippi offer? How can they help me?

Why not just stay in the military and make a career out of it. I heard life is better if you become a comissioned officer. Have you considered that?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

EL JAYJAY in charlotte, North Carolina

50 months ago

Absolutely, as far as getting to school is concerned.
But you will not be eligible for federal tuition aid.
It will be hard to get employment with that.
Massachusetts is typical of convicting people for nothing.
Good luck. You may wonna consider southern states.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

50 months ago

Lisa in Carson City, Nevada said: I just got a DUI and Domestic Battery charge (both misdemeanors)in June 2010. Can I even get into a school to be an MA?

You can get into a school for sure.. Yeah.. But, you can't do the clinicals if they are required and you will have a hard time getting hired anywhere if you do graduate. You will have a better chance if it was 7 years or longer ago. Goodluck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

BOBBY CRAWFORD in Orlando, Florida

49 months ago

I JUST ENROLLED INTO EVEREST UNIVERSITY..MAJORING MEDICAL ASSISTANT.
I'M WANTING TO BE AN EMT. I WENT TO PRISON IN 99 AND HAVENT BEEN IN ANY TROUBLE SINCE THEN. FLORIDA ONLY GOES BACK 7 YEARS, BUT ONCE I GRADUATE, WHEN I APPLY FOR A JOB WILL THEY ALSO ONLY GO BACK 7 YEARS? I WAS TOLD THEY DONT LIMIT THE EXTENT OF YOUR FELONIES. IF YOU HAVE ONE ITS A NO HIRE STATUS. IF THIS IS TRUE, I'M WASTING MY TIME GOING BACK TO SCHOOL. PLEASE HELP ME IN THIS DECISION.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Janet Fern in Sarasota, Florida

49 months ago

I'am a Certified Nursing Assistant since 2003 and love it. I had a clean background until 2008, I got arrested for property damage to a vehicle. They charged me criminal mischief misdeamenor. I have been looking for work and every nursing homes to hospitals wont hire me. I believe because of my background. The board of nursing knows what happened to my arrest and everything, so why cant any of these nursing homes give me or anyone a chance to work? but yet they hire the cna's who mistreat and abuse the elderlys..I feel like just giving up and try a different field..Please help..Thanx

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

teresa07 in Saint Marys, Ohio

49 months ago

Janet Fern in Sarasota, Florida said: I'am a Certified Nursing Assistant since 2003 and love it. I had a clean background until 2008, I got arrested for property damage to a vehicle. They charged me criminal mischief misdeamenor. I have been looking for work and every nursing homes to hospitals wont hire me. I believe because of my background. The board of nursing knows what happened to my arrest and everything, so why cant any of these nursing homes give me or anyone a chance to work? but yet they hire the cna's who mistreat and abuse the elderlys..I feel like just giving up and try a different field..Please help..Thanx

I am in the same boat you are in, I have been a CNA since 1997 and like a big dummy, got into trouble last year, now am having trouble finding a job. I am considering going back to school for something until I get some distance between me and my record. Like I said, I know how you feel and what you are dealing with. Good luck to you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

LaRosa in Detroit, Michigan

48 months ago

I hear what everyone is saying, but in certain states, you can have a felony expunged, depending on the nature of the crime and how long ago. Here in Michigan, you can only have one felony set aside as long as it didn't result in life imprisonment or something off the wall. Also, five years have to have passed since the date of your conviction, or if you had to do time, five years after your release. I'd do some research because if you have a conviction expunged, you don't have to disclose it on an employment application, but again, it depends on where you live.

military mom in Denver, Colorado said: I also have drug-related felonies that are now 15 years old. I have worked in healthcare over 35 years. I went to residential treatment fornine months and have been clean for 15 years now. I did complete MA school in 2004 because I was told the school had a 95% placement rate. I now know there are so many MA's out there that the chances of being hired are very low. Every MA job I interviewed for has turned me down for the above reason. I'm now a file clerk in a nursing home. I found nursing homes might give you a chance more so than hospitals or clinics. This is something that is very difficult to get past so don't get discouraged if you really want this. But it is going to be harder for you than others. It is too bad really, because I find I work much harder for someone willing to give me a chance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

48 months ago

LaRosa in Detroit, Michigan said: I hear what everyone is saying, but in certain states, you can have a felony expunged, depending on the nature of the crime and how long ago. Here in Michigan, you can only have one felony set aside as long as it didn't result in life imprisonment or something off the wall. Also, five years have to have passed since the date of your conviction, or if you had to do time, five years after your release. I'd do some research because if you have a conviction expunged, you don't have to disclose it on an employment application, but again, it depends on where you live.

To add to that, friend, in Michigan, you can't have more than one felony in order to get a conviction set aside. Best thing to do is call the court that convicted you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

48 months ago

Hello, friend. =) I live in Michigan, and if you commit a felony, it's on your record until you have it expunged. In order to have a conviction set aside in Michigan, five years have to have passed from the date you were convicted, or if you had to do time, five years from the date of your release. Once the conviction is expunged, you don't have to indicate that you have a conviction on any employment applications. I'd check with the court that convicted you, because there's probably certain eligibility requirements and all that. Good luck, friend. =)

BOBBY CRAWFORD in Orlando, Florida said: I JUST ENROLLED INTO EVEREST UNIVERSITY..MAJORING MEDICAL ASSISTANT.
I'M WANTING TO BE AN EMT. I WENT TO PRISON IN 99 AND HAVENT BEEN IN ANY TROUBLE SINCE THEN. FLORIDA ONLY GOES BACK 7 YEARS, BUT ONCE I GRADUATE, WHEN I APPLY FOR A JOB WILL THEY ALSO ONLY GO BACK 7 YEARS? I WAS TOLD THEY DONT LIMIT THE EXTENT OF YOUR FELONIES. IF YOU HAVE ONE ITS A NO HIRE STATUS. IF THIS IS TRUE, I'M WASTING MY TIME GOING BACK TO SCHOOL. PLEASE HELP ME IN THIS DECISION.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

48 months ago

justme_75 in Bismarck, North Dakota said: I am interested in going back to school to become and emt or a medical assistant. However i was convicted of a felony (assault) 14 years ago. Can i still get hired for this position with this on my record?

Sweetie, it sounds like your conviction is old enough to have set aside. Call the court that convicted you, and see what you have to do to get it set aside. It's a minimal cost, but the worse they could tell you is "no". There's nothing like getting your good name back. It will help you out in the long run when you're out there applying for jobs, because once you have your conviction expunged, you don't have to disclose it anymore. Good luck. =)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

48 months ago

Lisa in Carson City, Nevada said: I just got a DUI and Domestic Battery charge (both misdemeanors)in June 2010. Can I even get into a school to be an MA?

The best thing to do is talk to the court that convicted you. Since the conviction is relatively new, it may hurt your chances otherwise. The worst thing they could tell you is "no". Best of luck to you. =)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Joe black in High Point, North Carolina

47 months ago

Too all C.N.A's LOOKING FOR Work. MOVE TO PORTLAND OREGON LOOK UP HOME CARE PROVIDER AGENCYS OE PERSONAL CARE AGENCEYS IN THE PHONE BOOK UNDER TEMP AGENCEYS< EVEN THO YOU ARE A PAST FELON THEY WILL WORK WIYH YOU AND YOU MAKE 12- 20 Dallors an hour, My Brother and his wife are past felonys on PSC II CHarges And they work for a Agegency that sends then out on 12 to 24 hr shifts, They pull in 600- 750 a week a person, Due to the oner time they are willing to work and placess they are called too at he last moment.. Good luck, Ps If you dont have a car , Get a apt by the rail train called the MAX, Only 1.00 One way or 2.50 for all day ticket, the last time i was there.... GOOD LUCK CARE PROVIDERS TO OUR ELDERLY......

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

crush33 in Elmira, New York

46 months ago

i have a felony for possession of a weapon back in '05 and would like to know if this would hinder permanently any employment for the medical assisting field? And if any or what states or cities would look more favorably on hiring me? My states of choice are Miami california,Sanantonio Texas,Orlando Florida, Las Vegas Nevada,New york N.Y., Durham North Carolina. different Countries would be Le Marche Italy, or Puerto Vallarta Mexico. If anyone could point me in the right direction i would greatly appriciate this.Thank you for your time and assisstance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

LaRosa in Lansing, Michigan

46 months ago

Since your conviction is more than five years old, you can probably have it expunged if it was the only crime you've ever committed. I know that here in Michigan, you can only apply to have a felony or misdemeanor expunged if no other crimes were committed. Check with the Department of Corrections in your state.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

justwanderin12 in Cartersville, Georgia

46 months ago

I am so nervous about when I eventually go to court on my poss meth poss marijuana charges. I just recently began school and took out loans as well. I am unemployed and a stay at home mom so I dont really have the money to pay it back. I was really interested in becomming a pharmacist and with these charges hanging over my head I just dont know what to do I mean ive already started school!!! Can anyone offer me some good advice about what in the world to do?????? What can people with drug felonies do for a living with a degree????

justwanderin12 in Cartersville, Georgia

46 months ago

justwanderin12 in Cartersville, Georgia said: I am so nervous about when I eventually go to court on my poss meth poss marijuana charges. I just recently began school and took out loans as well. I am unemployed and a stay at home mom so I dont really have the money to pay it back. I was really interested in becomming a pharmacist and with these charges hanging over my head I just dont know what to do I mean ive already started school!!! Can anyone offer me some good advice about what in the world to do?????? What can people with drug felonies do for a living with a degree????

I have been sober and clean for 15 months and AM NOT goin back ever just thought id add that i forgot the first time

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

just sick in Kalamazoo, Michigan

46 months ago

i have a misdemeanor DV charge pending. I want to go to school for physical therapy assistant. I have been offered a plea deal that would dismiss the charge at the end of a probation period. There is also an active PPO. Any suggestions

LaRosa in Lansing, Michigan

46 months ago

Misdemeanors aren't usually a big deal depending on where you live. DV may pose a problem in some cases, like if you wanted to work at a daycare, you might not get hired. If you've got a plea deal in the works, sweet! I say just wait it out.

Anonymous&Hopeful in Salt Lake City, Utah

46 months ago

I live in Salt Lake City, Utah and am going to attempt to get into a Nursing program...my concern is this;

I got into an argument with my younger (adult) drug addict brother that escalated to the police being called and ultimately resulted in my being charged with DV A&B and Criminal Mischief. Certainly these are serious charges and have obvious implications in terms of how people would view me on a resume as far as being a liability, and in general make me look like a scumbag. (The actual circumstances of the "fight" are pretty backwards, I was hit with a weapon and threatened, but he called the police and I was arrested instead. The police report is perhaps the most outlandish piece of fiction I've ever laid eyes on...I'm surprised they didn't call me a terrorist or accuse me of simultaneously kicking a puppy or raping a nun.)

I was offered a plea in abeyance, which I took at the advisement of legal counsel and I completed all of the conditions resulting in the charges being dismissed. Shortly after that, I had the case expunged through BCI (actually had a court hearing and everything).

I was wondering if there will still be any issues through DOPL, getting work, getting INTO nursing school, or being able to do clinicals with an expunged DV charge. I have never been charged or arrested prior to this incident, and I am not an abusive person.

I am worried that this incident will forever cast a shadow over my life and may preclude me from pursuing my dreams and meaningful work. I currently hold a BS in Clinical Psychology and am finishing another BS in Anthropology this semester...all of my pre-reqs for nursing school are complete I am just waiting to apply.

Discouraged in Dallas, Texas

46 months ago

I just started at Brookhaven College. I want to get my nursing degree (RN). I have two kids and just got married. I have turned my life around.I made some stupid mistakes in my life and boy am I paying for it now. I got a felony possession charge back in '98. I got the charge deffered adjudicated. Then went back to court 2 years ago and got an order for non-disclosure. (This happened over 13 years ago. I have not been in trouble since. )Non-disclosure is not the same as expunged. Police enforcement may see my charge if I were to ever get in trouble again. I don't have to say I was convicted, but the BON says you have to tell about anything that might be on your record. And no felonies are allowed in the program. It cannot be considered for jobs, places to live and such. But that doesn't mean that they won't.

I am so confused. I have been searching the internet for any answers. But am still just as confused as to wether or not it is even worth trying. Wasting my time, energy and money.

Am I wasting my time? I want to do something with my life. I want my kids to be proud of me and I need a solid career that will help me provide my family with the best support I can give them. I just feel like I will never be able to have a decent life, I won't be able to get a job even if I do get into the program. This is awful. I am so discouraged and scared.

Taking my life head on and working hard, being motivated is not an issue. I just wish they were more clear about this. Does anyone know or have been through this process? I keep looking and just need some real advice about someone who has been in my position. Have you been through this? How does it work and is it worth me staying in school?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Tosha Smith in Four Oaks, North Carolina

46 months ago

I AM LIKE IN DISTRAUGHT I AM 24 YEARS OLD I LIVE IN GREENVILLE NORTH CAROLINA, I GOT CAUGHT UP WITH A OLDER GUY WEN I WAS 18 HE WAS ALMOST 30 HE MANIPULATED ME AND CON'ED ME BY OPUTTING CARS IN MY NAME AND THEN PRACTICING INSURANCE FRAUD WITH THOSE CARS..... WELL HE NOT ONLY DID IT TO ME BUT 10 OTHER FEMALES IN HIS TIME ANYWAYS HE IS SERVING TIME FOR IT AND 2 YEARS AGO ALMOST I GOT CONVICTED OF IT I HAD NEVER BEEN IN ANY TROUBLE BEFORE AND THEY STUCK ME WITH 2 FELONIES I COULDNT AFFORD A LAWYER I DIDNT EVEN KNOW WHAT MY OPTIONS WERE BECAUSE I WASN'T FAMILIAR WITH CRIMINAL STUFF I HAD AN COURT APPOINTED LAWYER WHO LATER I FOUND OUT WAS ON THE COURTS SIDE AND HE TOLD ME THAT WAS THE BEST HE COULD DO FOR ME WAS STICK ME WITH THOSE 2 FELONIES AND I HAVE TO PAY BACK THOUSANDS OF DOLLARES. HE CLAIMED WAS BETTER THAN DOING 6 MONTHS IN PRISON AND OF COURSE SAYING PRISON TO ME FRIGHTENEND THE DAY LIGHTS OUT OF ME SO I JUST PLED TO THE CHARGE THINKING THAT IS WHAT I HAD TO DO TO STAY OUT OF PRISON. I WAS SO LOST AND I FEEL LIKE THEY DID ME WRONG THEY WASNT UNDERSTANDING AND DIDNT CARE THAT I DIDNT EVEN PUT MYSELF IN THIS PREDICAMENT NOW EVERY SINCE THEN 2 YEARS AGO I HAVNT WORKED I HAVE LOOKED AND WENT FROM TOWN TO TOWN LOOKING EVERY DOOR SHUT IN MY FACE ONCE THEY PULL UP THAT RECORD. WHEN I AM A REALLY NICE HONEST CITIZEN BUT BECAUSE THAT GUY DID THIS TO ME NO ONE CARES ABOUT THE KIND OF PERSON I AM..... I FEEL LIKE COMMITTING SUICIDE SOMETIMES BECAUSE I FEEL LIKE MY LIFE IS OVER WHEN I AM ONLY 24 JUST TURNED 24 LAST MONTH AND I CAN'T WORK!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Tosha Smith in Four Oaks, North Carolina

46 months ago

I AM LIKE IN DISTRAUGHT I AM 24 YEARS OLD I LIVE IN GREENVILLE NORTH CAROLINA, I GOT CAUGHT UP WITH A OLDER GUY WEN I WAS 18 HE WAS ALMOST 30 HE MANIPULATED ME AND CON'ED ME BY OPUTTING CARS IN MY NAME AND THEN PRACTICING INSURANCE FRAUD WITH THOSE CARS..... WELL HE NOT ONLY DID IT TO ME BUT 10 OTHER FEMALES IN HIS TIME ANYWAYS HE IS SERVING TIME FOR IT AND 2 YEARS AGO ALMOST I GOT CONVICTED OF IT I HAD NEVER BEEN IN ANY TROUBLE BEFORE AND THEY STUCK ME WITH 2 FELONIES I COULDNT AFFORD A LAWYER I DIDNT EVEN KNOW WHAT MY OPTIONS WERE BECAUSE I WASN'T FAMILIAR WITH CRIMINAL STUFF I HAD AN COURT APPOINTED LAWYER WHO LATER I FOUND OUT WAS ON THE COURTS SIDE AND HE TOLD ME THAT WAS THE BEST HE COULD DO FOR ME WAS STICK ME WITH THOSE 2 FELONIES AND I HAVE TO PAY BACK THOUSANDS OF DOLLARES. HE CLAIMED WAS BETTER THAN DOING 6 MONTHS IN PRISON AND OF COURSE SAYING PRISON TO ME FRIGHTENEND THE DAY LIGHTS OUT OF ME SO I JUST PLED TO THE CHARGE THINKING THAT IS WHAT I HAD TO DO TO STAY OUT OF PRISON. I WAS SO LOST AND I FEEL LIKE THEY DID ME WRONG THEY WASNT UNDERSTANDING AND DIDNT CARE THAT I DIDNT EVEN PUT MYSELF IN THIS PREDICAMENT NOW EVERY SINCE THEN 2 YEARS AGO I HAVNT WORKED I HAVE LOOKED AND WENT FROM TOWN TO TOWN LOOKING EVERY DOOR SHUT IN MY FACE ONCE THEY PULL UP THAT RECORD. WHEN I AM A REALLY NICE HONEST CITIZEN BUT BECAUSE THAT GUY DID THIS TO ME NO ONE CARES ABOUT THE KIND OF PERSON I AM..... I FEEL LIKE COMMITTING SUICIDE SOMETIMES BECAUSE I FEEL LIKE MY LIFE IS OVER WHEN I AM ONLY 24 JUST TURNED 24 LAST MONTH AND I CAN'T WORK!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

46 months ago

Tosha...
I have felt the same way.. And, was kind of in the same situation.. After showing the courts that I was a good person. by writing to the judge, doing urine tests on my own, and having people write character witness statements to the judge.. after 2 whole years, the judge modified my conviction to a misdameanor... Keep trying and hold your head up high. You are still young, as am I (23)... And our lives are still new! Have you ever thought about going to college? Or, joining the Military? The Military will help! I know you probley think you will be signing your life away, but you won't be! You can get a job, good life insurance, and good lives for your kids (if you have any). It's not worth taking your life! If you reallyu are a good person, you will shine! They will see it!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

YorkiePud in Gardendale, Alabama

46 months ago

Maybe I just think differently, but if you know something will get you in to enough trouble to get a felony, why in the world do you do it? I see one person blames some other guy, but we all have choices and when you do something, it's your choice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Jchap217 in Cleveland, Ohio

45 months ago

I am in the same exact situation as you in Cleveland,Ohio. I just completed a Phlebotomy program and when it came to clinicals they said I cant complete them because i have a 7 year old drug possession felonly. They said i can't get it expunged because I had one prior petty theft misdemeanor from 10 years ago. They said the misdemeanor on my record wouldn't matter but because of the felony. I wrote the governor asking for a pardon (prob never gonna happen) but i'm talking to a lawyer about something called a "non-disclosure sealment" i think it's called. I don't know what states offer it but the felony would still show up on your record but for employment applications it's not suppose to show. I'll let you know how that goes. I been clean since then either and have addiction and psych dr. I see regularly that would vouch for me but apparently it's not enough. At my college, I took an EKG course and all i have to do is pay to take a certification test, no clinicals, and then I become a certified EKG tech and i figured i can start there looking f or a job in a dr. office or something. Good luck. I don't give up easily. Medicine is my passion and this prejudicial country holds one mistake against you for the rest of your life. I wish I could start a petition for felons after a certain number of years to do something so we have the same opportunities as everyone else at finding a meaningful career and living a decent life. sometimes the US pisses me off. Goood luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

JJJONES in Fort Wayne, Indiana

45 months ago

IF I HAVE A GUN CHARGE A MISDEANOR CAN I STILL WORK IN A NURSING HOME IN THE STATE OF INDIANA

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

coolcal in Reno, Nevada

45 months ago

I want to know. How do I get My C.N.A certificate back after having a felony convictuin for reckclass abuse/felony bail jumping. It has been 10 years since this conviction in Madison, Wisconsin. I have never had any problems before this conviction with working with the elderly."There has to be a way to get my C.N.A certificate return. I have worked for the VA medical hospital since that conviction." "I told the truth about my conviction, but that wasn't the reason why I got fired." Please write me, or e-mail me with information on whom do I write in the state of Wisconsin, so I can work as a C.N.A nursing assistant again. Calvin Harris 80 Burns, st Apt C Reno, Nevada 89502. captaincal60@rocketmail.com Any and all help will be graciously appreiciated.

Thank you!

Calvin......

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

pretty-angel in Orlando, Florida

45 months ago

Yes i spelled expunged wrong.....

benet in Immokalee, Florida

45 months ago

BOBBY CRAWFORD in Orlando, Florida said: I JUST ENROLLED INTO EVEREST UNIVERSITY..MAJORING MEDICAL ASSISTANT.

if you have a felony you will not be able to work at all in florida.. I have one and catching hell here in fla.

Bink in Covington, Georgia

44 months ago

I have a felon and and domestic violence case, but I was the one being abuse. I moved from Ohio because they will put both the one being abused and abuser in lock-up. I just moved in Georgia to make a new start. The person I living with is getting frustrated because I can't find work. She is doing me a favor but she has children to care for and tell me she cannot/choose not to care for a 41 year old man. How can I get a job to help her and get back on my feet to move into my own place?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ebny M in Miami, Florida

44 months ago

todd robles in channelview, Texas said: i also have a felony, i did ten years in prison and was released in dec of 2005. ive only had tickets since then. but does anyone know of companies that will hire me? i have almost 4 years of exp in warehouse, forklift operations and alittle exp in supervisor of shipping receiving, i am very familiar with the system mepaw and c2c for receiving..i know how to load and unload trucks.i am a dependable worker, i was employed with dixie box and crating in houston for a little over a year and within 6 months i made supervisor.please contact me.. thanks.todd robles

You might want to try and expunge / seal your record (if this felony is the only one you have). Please be mindful that federal, government and public schools have access to those records even if you expunge or seal them. Also be mindful that certain felonies are not sealable or expungable (murder, child molestation, etc.); check the statues and legal information in your area.

B. witaker in Tacoma, Washington

43 months ago

I was convicted of a violent felony in Washington it is such a bad felony it sounds WAY worse then what really happened. About 3 years ago i ACCIDENTLY dropped my son and he was permanatly injured, he fell pretty hard, I thought he was fine because he was breathing fine, but he wasnt fine he was hemorraging in his head and because of that I got sentenced to 2 years in prison for an assault on a child which is false. It was so totaly an accident, I now have full custody of my son and have another son as well and i take care of them both....im a good person and i am trying to get into the medical field i just need a second chance to prove myself as an MA I am almost done with Ma school.....I am and maintain to have a 4.0 GPA I am currently an Ambassador at Everst college with exceptional soft skills,and attendence...DOES ANYONE THINK THAT IF I REALLY GOT A CHANCE TO EXPLAIN MY SITUATION IT WOULD STILL BE POSSIBLE TO BECOME CERTIFIED. THANK YOU TO WHOEVER IS LISTENING I REALLY NEED SOME FEED BACK..

Anonymous&Hopeful in Salt Lake City, Utah

43 months ago

To the person who stated that we are "stupid criminals" and that we "should be in homeless shelter"...
First off...learn how to write. I would not hire somebody who couldn't produce a coherent sentence. I am uncertain as to how you were able to obtain that lofty vantage point you have upon your high horse without being able to spell, especially when you are calling US stupid.
Secondly...just because somebody was CHARGED with a crime doesn't make them a criminal...hell...I pled in abeyance to a charge and that counts as a conviction in my state (it has be subsequently expunged but I am still concerned about its potential to hurt my aspirations) and, speaking for myself in my particular case, I felt like what I did in the moment probably saved my life...irregardless I was charged with a horrible sounding DV charge for a fight with a sibling (a 6'1" 190 lb younger brother who was telling me he was going to perforate my skull while holding a screwdriver and shaking with rage)because he beat me to the phone. True story.
It is people like you who make me lose my faith in humanity. We are in a nurturing profession and are supposed to adopt an attitude of unconditional positive regard. You need to seriously gain some empathy and perspective, especially if you plan on chastising us lowly criminal scum. Forgiveness is a virtue, and we should all be entitled to a little humanity and compassion...which is apparently a lesson you forgot along the way.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No Reply - Report abuse

brent in Gloucester, Virginia

43 months ago

Yeah the ogre who said that criminals should be in a homeless shelter;
If there is any justice in the world, you will one day find yourself in desperate need of a friend but since you will have alienated anyone who cared, you will end up in... a homeless shelter where you will find that it isn't the people around you that are so bad. It's the folks who point the accusing finger at you and call you "scum" and "unworthy" that will make you understand that we're all in this together. You don't have to like everyone, but you'd damn well better make sure you treat strangers with a healthy dose of respect.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

pur24ple in Boise, Idaho

42 months ago

Hi I lieve in Idaho and am interested in applying for a medical assistant program but in september 2004 I was convicted of a misdemeanor domestic battery charge. Am I still going to be able to get a job? It has been almost 7 years.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Christina T. in San Jose, California

41 months ago

OMG That's the same question I had. I have an appt. tomorrow at Everest in San Jose, Ca just to check out the campus. I am concerned because I have 5 drug related felonies and was not sure if once I graduated I would get a job. And I'm currently on probation. I am happy to say I have been clean for almost 3 years.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

dw in Lawrenceville, Georgia

41 months ago

B. witaker in Tacoma, Washington said: I was convicted of a violent felony in Washington it is such a bad felony it sounds WAY worse then what really happened. About 3 years ago i ACCIDENTLY dropped my son and he was permanatly injured, he fell pretty hard, I thought he was fine because he was breathing fine, but he wasnt fine he was hemorraging in his head and because of that I got sentenced to 2 years in prison for an assault on a child which is false. It was so totaly an accident, I now have full custody of my son and have another son as well and i take care of them both....im a good person and i am trying to get into the medical field i just need a second chance to prove myself as an MA I am almost done with Ma school.....I am and maintain to have a 4.0 GPA I am currently an Ambassador at Everst college with exceptional soft skills,and attendence...DOES ANYONE THINK THAT IF I REALLY GOT A CHANCE TO EXPLAIN MY SITUATION IT WOULD STILL BE POSSIBLE TO BECOME CERTIFIED. THANK YOU TO WHOEVER IS LISTENING I REALLY NEED SOME FEED BACK..

Please be careful with these felony it will be hard for you to sit for a State board exams no matter how major or minor it is especially for the State of florida. When dealing with patients they frown on cases that have to do with old people and children even if it was an accident the charge and details are still listed. we live in a world that we are pre judge by our physical being and what is read on paper so keep God first do not give up I just hate to know that you waste your money for MA school and may never get the chance to work as an MA the pay is not even that great anyway.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

BETTY in Alexandria, Virginia

41 months ago

HELLO .I had feloney Arson charge and the court dropped to mistiminor.M CONVICTED MISTIMINOR.I have convicted mistimoner damage property charge.I have cna certificate and want try get bording exam.and I can't find a job.want continue nursing class.does any one addvice me.
I LIVE IN VERGINIA.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.