medical assistant is a stupid career

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1851 to 1889 of 1889)
Page:  « First « Previous   35  36  37  38   

Mari7 in Dupont, Washington

22 months ago

Did anyone attend Everest College for MA? How is it?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

NCMA, CMA, CNA in Rock Falls, Illinois

22 months ago

For the record, Medical Assistants in the U.S. are governed and regulated by the Allied-Health Boards (para-professionals)and the State for which you practice - Dept. of Public Health. For instance, I live in Illinois, yet I work in Iowa, therefore I am governed and regulated by the Iowa Dept. of Public Health. If any of you graduated from a qualified Medical Assisting course, it is one of the very first things you should have learned. As for the non-educated people who like to question any Medical Assistant's competencies, perhaps you should direct your concerns to your local Dept. of Public Health.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Brittany in Brunswick, Maine

21 months ago

Margaret in Saginaw, Michigan said: I find it very hard to beleive why a MA would think that their education even comes close to that of a nurse. My main problem is the complex they have with telling everybody they do the "same thing". The two professions are completely different for a reason. A nurse holds a license in the state and is trained as a nurse, not trained to file and take vitals. An MA is a glorified monkey who is taught skills. They are not taught to think and react accodrdingly. So, if an MA wants to be a nurse, THEN BE A NURSE, otherwise shut your mouth and go file some papers!

I dont think people thing that their education is the exact same, but if you havent noticed they make the same amount of money, or pretty close to the same. Medical assistants are replacing nursing jobs, so ya im pretty sure they can do pretty much the same things!!! so why dont you check your facts before you come on here and run your mouth. There are two differnt types of medical assistants, and some do just do office stuff but i do more than most my nurses at my doctors office, i draw blood and give shots and all of that, so CHECK YOURSELF!!!! CNA's do more work than a RN. Yes you may have gotten a good education!! I wont argue that but i do most of what my RN's do in my office!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Rolinda in Chula Vista, California

21 months ago

Brittany in Brunswick, Maine said: I dont think people thing that their education is the exact same, but if you havent noticed they make the same amount of money, or pretty close to the same. Medical assistants are replacing nursing jobs, so ya im pretty sure they can do pretty much the same things!!! so why dont you check your facts before you come on here and run your mouth. There are two differnt types of medical assistants, and some do just do office stuff but i do more than most my nurses at my doctors office, i draw blood and give shots and all of that, so CHECK YOURSELF!!!! CNA 's do more work than a RN. Yes you may have gotten a good education!! I wont argue that but i do most of what my RN's do in my office!!!!!!

The biggest and most important difference between Registered Nurses and Medical Assistants is the fact that Nurses are licensed independent practitioners, meaning they are trained to think and act independently, while Medical Assistants cannot independently perform any task. They must be supervised. As a licensed (RT)Respiratory Therapist, I have experience working in a Clinic with MAs. Some are very knowledgable and excellent to work with. While in the Hospital environment, it is comforting to know the RNs are there to help me if my patient crashes. I have become a better RT because of the RNs I have worked with.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

21 months ago

Brittany in Brunswick, Maine said: I dont think people thing that their education is the exact same, but if you havent noticed they make the same amount of money, or pretty close to the same. Medical assistants are replacing nursing jobs, so ya im pretty sure they can do pretty much the same things!!! so why dont you check your facts before you come on here and run your mouth. There are two differnt types of medical assistants, and some do just do office stuff but i do more than most my nurses at my doctors office, i draw blood and give shots and all of that, so CHECK YOURSELF!!!! CNA 's do more work than a RN. Yes you may have gotten a good education!! I wont argue that but i do most of what my RN's do in my office!!!!!!

Continued....Some Medical Assistants are not so knowledgable. For example, while working in a Clinic, a MA with supposed 13 years experience asked me for a non-rebreather to use on a patient who was extremely short of breath. With the non-rebreather in hand, I followed her into the exam room and saw a patient in respiratory distress. I noticed the Sao2 at 72% on Oxygen, which in my mind, didn't make sense, so I pulled the tube off the tank and heard nothing, placed my finger on the tank nipple and felt nothing. Then noticed the tank gauge read empty. I asked the MA how long the patient had been on this Oxygen. She said 45 minutes. Then I asked her for the tank key. She didn't know she needed one. I got one and used it on a full Oxygen tank and after a few minutes the patient's SaO2 increased to 89%. Unbelievable!. The patient suffered for 45 minutes because the MA didn't know what she was doing. Later I spoke with the MA and she swore the Oxygen tank was on. I tried to explain that without using a tank key to turn the tank on, it won't matter what the flow dial is set on, the patient won't get any Oxygen, but she wasn't listening. We all make mistakes, but in order to learn from them, one has to be willing to listen.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Brittany in Brunswick, Maine

21 months ago

I agree there are things that differ, im just sick of people saying its a stupid job! we all went into this field to help people and thats what i do everyday, i help people. i paid for my education just as well as everyone else.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

21 months ago

Brittany in Brunswick, Maine said: I agree there are things that differ, im just sick of people saying its a stupid job! we all went into this field to help people and thats what i do everyday, i help people. i paid for my education just as well as everyone else.

No job is stupid. Physicians, Nurses, Medical Assistants, Respiratory Therapists, etc., as Health Care Professionals, we all have value. None can function effectively without the other. Only while working together as a team can we provide the best care for our patients. It's not about us. It's about our patients.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Magdalena in Edinburg, Texas

15 months ago

It is a worthless career and I dont understand how students go and spend 23000 dollars on a career thats going to pay them 8 dollars an hour. I read comments about employees making up 20 dollars an hour which is great however here in the rio grande valley no one will pay you more than 9 dollars an hour and they will work you abuse you and the rn,s will look down on you as being inferior and uneducated. Their are jobs here that they are combining the medical assisting with phlebotomist,ekg,x-ray and everything else and as much as the employer can get for as little money per hour as possible. Brownsville Medical Center offered me a job as an ER Tech preforming everything an RN does except meds for 8.30 an hour and I told them that i refused to be exploited. They pay illegals more than that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

mariah in Ohio

14 months ago

DomeQUOTE who="Margaret in Saginaw, Michigan"]I find it very hard to beleive why a MA would think that their education even comes close to that of a nurse. My main problem is the complex they have with telling everybody they do the "same thing". The two professions are completely different for a reason. A nurse holds a license in the state and is trained as a nurse, not trained to file and take vitals. An MA is a glorified monkey who is taught skills. They are not taught to think and react accodrdingly. So, if an MA wants to be a nurse, THEN BE A NURSE, otherwise shut your mouth and go file some papers!

Your response is so typical of many nurses I worked with in a hospital setting! So many nurses are condescending, conceited know it alls who think they deficate roses and know every mystery of the universe and then some!! GET OVER YOURSELF!!! You are NO better than anyone else!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

padillax in Newark, New Jersey

14 months ago

** In total Agreement, just because Nurses have gone to school for a total of four years to get an ASSociates degree does not necessarily mean you have the skill set to actually work as a nurse. I have helped many nurses with their school work being a Medical Assistant! yep. The difference between me and many other Medical Assistants is just the fact that I have an associate degree in allied health science. Besides if you do get a degree in Medical Assisting it would be in allied health science which is the same degree that nurses complete prior to their two years of nursing school. With that said, many nurses think that they are all high and mighty, but at the end of the day they are receiving orders from physician just like MA's, giving patient discharge instructions just like MA's. Further more in the state of NJ, MA's can actually administer meds intramuscularly or sub Q, they can't however start IV, but I am sure that if they take a class they could. Besides in NJ RN's need to take a separate phlebotomy class as it is not part of the RN curricula.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

padillax in Newark, New Jersey

14 months ago

padillax in Newark, New Jersey said: ** In total Agreement, just because Nurses have gone to school for a total of four years to get an ASSociates degree does not necessarily mean you have the skill set to actually work as a nurse. I have helped many nurses with their school work being a Medical Assistant! yep. The difference between me and many other Medical Assistants is just the fact that I have an associate degree in allied health science. Besides if you do get a degree in Medical Assisting it would be in allied health science which is the same degree that nurses complete prior to their two years of nursing school. With that said, many nurses think that they are all high and mighty, but at the end of the day they are receiving orders from physician just like MA's, giving patient discharge instructions just like MA's. Further more in the state of NJ, MA's can actually administer meds intramuscularly or sub Q, they can't however start IV, but I am sure that if they take a class they could. Besides in NJ RN's need to take a separate phlebotomy class as it is not part of the RN curricula.

Not saying that MA's do more than RN's because that wold just be stupid, but give credit where credit is due. Both disciplines need schooling so I have respect for the RN's but believe me that many RN's also have respect for me and what I do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Beth in Morristown, Tennessee

14 months ago

Tina in Rocky Face, Georgia said: Sorry about your bad luck but actually we can do more than LPN can do. We are trained in alot of different areas that LPN's are not..They did not get some of the training we did. EX: phelbotomy,x-rays,E.K.G'S & we are cross-trained to work front and back office.

That is exactly right and in my state we are replacing LPN's in many places.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

M.O. in Houston, Texas

13 months ago

Michelle in Eau Claire, Wisconsin said: The reason why you can't find a job and hate the profession is the fact that your spelling isn't even correct! The medical assisting career is wonderful. I work in a cancer center and am lucky enough to go home everyday knowing I made a difference in someone's day. Have fun working overnights and doing paperwork 24/7 as an RN!!

I don't see how one's hatred of a particular profession could possibly correlate with one's spelling ability. Besides, she did not spell anything incorrectly. I believe you're looking for a different word, not "spelling". But regardless, you're just being plain mean. There is no need to attack her and criticize her spelling.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

HappyRT;) in Chula Vista, California

13 months ago

Beth in Morristown, Tennessee said: That is exactly right and in my state we are replacing LPN's in many places.

That's scary.

HappyRT;) in Chula Vista, California

13 months ago

padillax in Newark, New Jersey said: Not saying that MA's do more than RN's because that wold just be stupid, but give credit where credit is due. Both disciplines need schooling so I have respect for the RN's but believe me that many RN's also have respect for me and what I do.

Exactly. I agree with you. Mutual respect for one another. I'm so grateful to work in a field where I can continue growing and exchanging knowledge and skills with my colleagues, MAs, RTs, RNs, MDs, DOs, etc. It's impossible for any individual to know absolutely everything. Teamwork is key in being successful. I'm a better (RT)Respiratory Therapist thanks to all my colleagues and our patients. Enjoy the journey everyone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jazmin in Crestview, Florida

10 months ago

Jazmin in Houston, Texas said: I went to school for medical assistant I waste my time, any body out there just go on for nursing.

I am sorry you are having such bad luck. There are 7 states currently who require certification. Here in florida they are requiring rn's to earn a bsn within 3 yrs of hire and now ma's are being required to have a 2 yr degree. I have an AAS with concentration in medical assistant. I am a registered medical assistant and registered phlebotomy tech. I have gained so much experience and knowledge. Also my credits transfered to a bachelors program. I really think it is based on how you market yourself.They are also phasing out lpn here due to medical assistants having 2 yr degrees and the ability to cross train. Also I being an MA am also IV certified i CAN NOT PUSH MEDS! I can however give saline. Good luck and do not give up.....keep at it het some expierience then if you like go to the next level. There is no need for fighting ladies :)

Lisa in Euless, Texas

9 months ago

Shannon in Greeley, Colorado said: I've been a medical assistant for almost 13 years. I've been blessed that I have worked for specialty physicians in the pulmonary, critical care and cardiovascular surgeon sector. I make $20/ hr and I know I make about $7-9 more an hour than any other MA within the clinic. I feel I make more because of my hard work, intellect and faithfulness to the physicians. I wish I had went on to get my RN degree but that is not the road I've traveled due to various reasons. But my experience is this: (sorry if this hurts feelings)--most MA's out there, at least where I am at; only look at this profession as a job and really do not have much intellect behind them. I have seen so many "dumb" MA's who give half-ass job performances than I do the RN's and LPN's I work with.

I totally agree with you. I am an RMA, CMA, NR-CMA, have 3 college degrees and have taught this for many years. Although I have a lot of friends that teach, that didn't mean they truly understood or could articulate exactly what the position entails. You will get paid when you can prove to the provider your quickness, ability to teach patients, whatever is required. There are a lot of "dumb" MA's out there due to these chain schools hiring inadequate instructors and also allowing anyone that has a pulse to enter the program.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Marino in India

8 months ago

Michelle in Eau Claire, Wisconsin said: The reason why you can't find a job and hate the profession is the fact that your spelling isn't even correct! The medical assisting career is wonderful. I work in a cancer center and am lucky enough to go home everyday knowing I made a difference in someone's day. Have fun working overnights and doing paperwork 24/7 as an RN!!

I paid 15 thousand dollars to become a medical assistant. I went in with a friend who was applying for their program and before I left I was 15 thousand dollars in debt and headed for class in October. I was never asked or told about the student loans that apparently I signed. I did however go and I graduated with high scores but I only worked as a Medical Assistant for 3 months only because I was covering a girl on maternity leave. They guaranteed me a job when I was tricked into their school but come time to get a job, where was Everest Institute? Not helping me. And when I list them as a Technical school that I attended I am told that this school is not an accredited school. So what did Everest do for me? They stole my money and wasted my time. I feel as if I was robbed by Everest Institute.

certifiedmedicalassistants.net/

Tiffany in Dearborn Heights, Michigan

6 months ago

and i hope you lose your job RUDENESS,i worked in the medical field as a medical assistant and i find that a lot of people in the medical field or with Good careers in general are STUCK UP,BOASTFUL and full of PRIDE just like YOU are,you were once working in a retail store,or flipping burgers like a lot of other people were before they reached their goal.God gives and he takes away,watch yourself.You dont put someone down because they are having a hard time and need a little help,its people like you who God HUMBLES!

CMA in Blackwood, New Jersey

5 months ago

Lisa in Euless, Texas said: I totally agree with you. I am an RMA, CMA, NR-CMA, have 3 college degrees and have taught this for many years. Although I have a lot of friends that teach, that didn't mean they truly understood or could articulate exactly what the position entails. You will get paid when you can prove to the provider your quickness, ability to teach patients, whatever is required. There are a lot of "dumb" MA's out there due to these chain schools hiring inadequate instructors and also allowing anyone that has a pulse to enter the program.

I am finishing up my education for my certs for CMA, phlebotomy, EKG, & advanced HIPPA compliance (AMAC, CMAC, ETC, PTC, ANCC, CPR/AED) I take the national in 7 days at my technical school. The girl that sits next to me is crazy. The first day she asked me for my phone # & said it would be good to have a students # incase of questions so I thought ok that prob is a good idea so I gave it to her. Then before the end of the day she starts telling me she got knocked up at the age of 20 & is on antidepressant pills. I seriously think she is bipolar, she cries at the drop of a hat & when u try to give constructive criticism she cries & says stop yelling at me. I am scared that she will hurt a patient if someone actually hires her which I can't imagine why someone would. I mean she has the ability to give injections & stick ppl with needles & that is scary. Whoever signed her up should have steered her to medical coding & billing. Worst of all this is all free for her thru unemployment bc she got fired from her job! I also have another guy who takes the bus bc he doesn't have a car, he doesn't even use proper grammar when he speaks, falls asleep & snores in class from time to time, & unemployment pays for him too so he gets a free ride also. Meanwhile I work part time to pay for my education & have a small loan & go to school ft everyday mon-fri.

Lisa in Euless, Texas

5 months ago

This is not uncommon. I do not think that girl will hurt you or your family and that should be your main concern. As far as these students going out into the world, they may or may not get a position in the field. It is unfortunate that as Instructors we do not get to chose who we deem best fit for this program. Every program is on a numbers and money game. You cannot worry about these other students and their issues, all you can do is worry for yourself. This field is extremely competitive, where there are a lot of programs competing for the same jobs. Take your certifications, ensure that you do your externship, do well and move on. It all turns out the way it is suppose to. I have told my students for years to just worry about yourself and when you get out in the field, be friendly to co-workers, do not become to involved. People act as if they are your friend and when the stuff hits the fan, due to you being new, watch out and try not to get splatted on. Now, do not get me wrong, I have worked in decent offices in many states, but a lot has changed out there. Unfortunately, you have to prove yourself being new. Stay observant, learn, ask questions from your provider and the first and foremost rule, make patients feel comfortable in an uncomfortable situation and you will have it made. DO NOT GOSSIP or get involved in that. That is how people should be.... You are going to make it what you want your experience to be.

Pamela in Augusta, Kansas

3 months ago

I have been a RMA program coordinator at a university for over 2 years and place about 95% of my students from about $13.00 on up to 17.00 in and around Wichita, Ks. I have been an RMA for over 40 years and always had a job.
Once you get the RMA you can go onto a Bachelor, Masters and now even the doctoral program I am in. No one has paid for any of my education except myself. I also teach at a 2nd career college on Saturdays and teach medical coding.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

me in Euless, Texas

3 months ago

Where are u getting a bachelors, masters or doctorates degree in medical assisting, I lack to see the point of your post. No encouragement in your post. MA's are a dome a dozen, but if you have a great instructor that's a start, taking initiative is your second step an forward. Please, next time be more articulate and present a point.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

TG in Mountain View, California

1 month ago

I am a medical assistant and I make $17/hour. I like my job and I don't do a lot. My job is easy and I don't have to hold a license. I am also a surgical tech and I do not work in the O.R. because I have young kids or I'd be doing that instead. I will never be a nurse nor do I want to. Don't care how much they get paid, I like being a tech and I like being an M.A. :)

ana in Perris, California

25 days ago

Jazmin in Houston, Texas said: I went to school for medical assistant I waste my time, any body out there just go on for nursing.

I am on my extent right now .and the site I am they don't want to explain me anything more than one time .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

25 days ago

I am on my extent right now .and the site I am they don't want to explain me anything more than one time .

25 days ago

I go school for medical assistant , I am a slow leaner in computers and I am on my extent right now ,but the site that I am in right now they don't want to teach me more than 1 time and they just give me extra time on my time sheet to just finish my hours.I think just because I am a sloe leaner.

Padillax in East Orange, New Jersey

25 days ago

ana in Perris, California said: I go school for medical assistant , I am a slow leaner in computers and I am on my extent right now ,but the site that I am in right now they don't want to teach me more than 1 time and they just give me extra time on my time sheet to just finish my hours.I think just because I am a sloe leaner.

Hi Ana,
I am sorry to hear that your site is doing this to you. Sometimes when there is a language barrier people seem to think that that person is a slow learner. Infact I will tell you what the problem is, it is that maybe the people who are training you need to train you better. I am sure you feel like a slow learner, but maybe the instruction is too fast. Have you ever looked at it that way? As far as for adding more time, that is infortunate because they just want to get rid of you. I would let your extern coordinator at the school know what is going on. If you go to a reputable and legit vocational school or college, I am sure they will fix the issue. If you attend one of these schools that are made for welfare and unemployment recipients, then just know that those programs are worthless as the teachers do not care for the most part and the students just want their benefits. I would asked to be placed at another site. I am an MA Instructor and I have helped many students, same question 100 times, 100 times the answer will be the same. I have helped many people through online teaching with their externship questions in both english and spanish and I have made many friends across the US. I am still a Medical Assistant Preceptor/instructor and I love.

Me in East Orange, New Jersey

25 days ago

Pamela in Augusta, Kansas said: I have been a RMA program coordinator at a university for over 2 years and place about 95% of my students from about $13.00 on up to 17.00 in and around Wichita, Ks. I have been an RMA for over 40 years and always had a job.
Once you get the RMA you can go onto a Bachelor, Masters and now even the doctoral program I am in. No one has paid for any of my education except myself. I also teach at a 2nd career college on Saturdays and teach medical coding.

Loolololol. I am sure you do not mean a BS,MA, or Doctorate in Medical assisting, clearly you do know that those programs to not exist at all. The highest level in Med Assisting is an associate degree and that just started about 2 years ago. I know of people who have tried or have transferred some credit from Med assisting into a college program (diffrent ofcourse). Besides please let me know where because how can you really transfer credit lets say from A&P in med assisting which lasts for a few weeks, to compare with a college one that lasts 3 months????? Sounds like fiction to me. I would have to see this one to believe it. So I am just asking please let me know where?

chance in Chicago, Illinois

18 days ago

Also have fun making double what a medical assistant does as a RN.... idiot

Lisa in Euless, Texas

17 days ago

Look the bottom line is if you can just afford MA school than that is GREAT. Do with what you have, make with it what you want. GET INTO gossip with the little girls in the office, get what you give. Being LPN, RN, we are going to socialized medicine, people need to quit using the "I am better than you," when your President states that a neurologist needs to cap out at 79k, but he at his elitist best states that he can have his own physicians and we have to pay him for the rest of his life, suck on that. Will it matter what you do? I am not being nasty to you, how much do you want to be indebted for to make the same salary? If you do not believe me, go to your nearest hospital ask and EDUCATED NURSE that has been there almost 20 years what is going on? They will tell you. Just be happy if you obtain employment and get what education and training they can provide and improve yourself, screw everything else.

Lisa in Euless, Texas

17 days ago

MA's have changed they do not understand cardiac input, output, IV, but it really depends on the state. We are socializing, so when they have lower leveled people, it is all about money and less education, OTJ. That is reality. They do not understand, but if you truly understand that any monkey can do any job, that is the answer.

WINDY in Corona, California

16 days ago

DO NOT GO TO SCHOOL FOR MEDICAL ASSISTING. YOU NEED 1 YEAR EXPERIENCE TO GET A JOB AND YOU WILL HAVE NO EXPERIENCE WHEN YOU GRADUATE. YOU WILL BE STUCK WITH STUDENT LOAN!!!!

hOT summer in Newark, New Jersey

16 days ago

Lisa in Euless, Texas said: MA's have changed they do not understand cardiac input, output, IV, but it really depends on the state. We are socializing, so when they have lower leveled people, it is all about money and less education, OTJ. That is reality. They do not understand, but if you truly understand that any monkey can do any job, that is the answer.

Why MA's have to be monkeys?? Did you get your feelings hurt and could not become one. Ha! There is no need to down play anyone at any level. UNDERSTAND that MA's may have less school, but they have something. Atleast these people decided to do something other than sit at home, live off welfare or sponge off their parents. The MA's that are coming out of school did it so they would not end up at a minimum wage job for the rest of their lives. I have yet to see an MA come one here and say he/she is a nurse, only thing they have made a claim to is saying that the "DO SIMILAR THINGS". Everyone knows that an MA can NEVER replace an RN, an LPN maybe to some degree then again you yourself said any Monkey can do a job so I am sure you must excell at yours.

Lisa in Euless, Texas

16 days ago

I can see by your rudeness, why you are an MA. I have been an MA for a long time. I have stated nothing that was a down play. I believe that if you are trained to do any job, anyone can do anything they choose, so you must learn to read and comprehend. You have now shown how contagious ignorance is and that most should keep their mouths closed. Including you....

Lisa in Euless, Texas

16 days ago

I do realize a LOT of companies require one year of experience. Just persevere in the field you are looking for an do NOT give up. You will get a chance. If you have to, keep deferring your loan payment until receive a position, even if it is not the ideal. I have seen that once you obtain at least six months of EMR/EHR experience along with the clinical background you will do find. Have faith.

14 days ago

I live in California and things are alot different here. Like I SAID WITHOUT 1 YEAR EXPERIENCE YOU CAN'T LAND A JOB. HOW CAN YOU GWET 1 YEAR EXPERIENCE IF YOU CANT GET A JOB UNLESS YOU HAVE THE EXPERIENCE? SURE, YOU MIGHT GET LUCKY AND VOLUNTEER SOMEWHERE FOR A YEAR IF YOU HAVE SOMEONE TAKING CARE OF YOU WHILE YOU DO THAT, BUT THAT IS NOT MY REALITY. I take care of myself and no help from Government. So you really need to check yourself and do your research before saying anything to me.
'THE ORIGINAL"

14 days ago

WINDY in Corona, California said: DO NOT GO TO SCHOOL FOR MEDICAL ASSISTING. YOU NEED 1 YEAR EXPERIENCE TO GET A JOB AND YOU WILL HAVE NO EXPERIENCE WHEN YOU GRADUATE. YOU WILL BE STUCK WITH STUDENT LOAN!!!!

Let me say this. I was not down playing the MA career. It is a fascinating career. I really was angry at the school that I went to. No one in my class got a job. I still owe the remaining dollar amount of $22,000. I graduated with honors and received an A.S. degree in Medical Assisting. I did not want to name the Private School, but wanted people to do their research first before diving into these fast pace Private Schools.
Please forgive me, for I meant no harm to you!
Windy

Sharen in Brockton, Massachusetts

1 day ago

Rolinda in Chula Vista, California said: Continued....Some Medical Assistants are not so knowledgable. For example, while working in a Clinic, a MA with supposed 13 years experience asked me for a non-rebreather to use on a patient who was extremely short of breath. With the non-rebreather in hand, I followed her into the exam room and saw a patient in respiratory distress. I noticed the Sao2 at 72% on Oxygen, which in my mind, didn't make sense, so I pulled the tube off the tank and heard nothing, placed my finger on the tank nipple and felt nothing. Then noticed the tank gauge read empty. I asked the MA how long the patient had been on this Oxygen. She said 45 minutes. Then I asked her for the tank key. She didn't know she needed one. I got one and used it on a full Oxygen tank and after a few minutes the patient's SaO2 increased to 89%. Unbelievable!. The patient suffered for 45 minutes because the MA didn't know what she was doing. Later I spoke with the MA and she swore the Oxygen tank was on. I tried to explain that without using a tank key to turn the tank on, it won't matter what the flow dial is set on, the patient won't get any Oxygen, but she wasn't listening. We all make mistakes, but in order to learn from them, one has to be willing to listen.

If that Medical Asst wasn't trained to set up oxygen properly on that patient, then why was she doing it ? Did the Dr. tell her to do
that ? Why did it have to be your job (RN) to teach her when it wasn't your responsibility? The Dr.'s are trying to save $ and have the MA do things that they weren't trained to do and that is dangerous. I can understand your frustration.

Page:  « First « Previous   35  36  37  38   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.