no one dont hire you only if u 2-3 yrs.experince in medical assistant

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (31)

helperbee in Rochester, Michigan

60 months ago

After reading your thread, I would suggest you not compose your own Resume. Reading the grammar in the thread (or lack thereof) may indeed be the reason why you're not getting calls.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

I understand that, but most Recruiters would tell you that they will ignore or even throw away a Resume that has typos or grammatical errors on them. Be it the person is qualified or not. If this is not the case, try doing volunteer work at your local Hospital or Clinic that would help you gain experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

tjones in Middle River, Maryland

60 months ago

why do volunteer?it will not pay my school payments.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

tjones in Middle River, Maryland said: why do volunteer?it will not pay my school payments.

Doing volunteer work will help you gain the experience you need for said career. Try going back to the school you attended to see if they can assist in job placement. Schools don't PROMISE you a job afterwards, they only offer job placement services and some schools even supply you the employment rate of their recent graduates.

With that being said, if you are having a hard time getting a job and you're not willing to see if you can volunteer at a local Hospital, Clinic, or even a Nursing Home, then I would have to think, you really don't want to be a Medical Assistant, you just want the paycheck- so look into other avenues for a paycheck until you can gain a MA career.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

WHY BE A VOLUNTEER AND YOUR INTEREST RATE IS GOING TOWARDS YOUR PAYMENTS FOR SCHOOL YOU WILL BE PAYING MORE BACK THEN WHAT YOU SUPPOSE TO PAY BACK.YOU CANT DO THAT WHEN YOUR AN SINGLE PARENT.AND NO I DONT WANT JUST A PAYCHECK I WANT THE EXPERIENCE AND TO HELP OTHERS.AND I REALLY WENT BACK TO THE SCHOOL I ATTENDED AND THEY COULDN'T HELP ME WITH NOTHING BUT THEY DO AN JOB FAIR EVERY YEAR.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Matt in Layton. in Sandy, Utah

60 months ago

Good evening T.Jones in Middle River, Maryland, You should listen to the person giving you advice. I was laid off from a contracting job I had with the government...I saw it coming and so I went to a couple of Nursing agencies and got hired on with in a matter of a few weeks and I understand what you are going through. I would like to add one thing to Helper Bees there are job's out there...you need to be patient and the job you seek will come your way. Just be positive. God bless and good luck in your search.

Sincerely,
Matt Edler, NCMA (NCCT)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Aries Girl in Stockton, California

60 months ago

I understand what your going through, The school I went through did me the same way. I thought I was making the right choice and a sound choice but I should have quit while I had the chance. As far as doing your own resume and not getting the job, my school practically typed mine up for me and still nothing. The schools don't care about us just our money we waste by going to their crummy schools. Your best bet is to get back in school but this time don't go to a career school, go to a community college. This is where I am now and I am much happier plus the school is paying me to go there. If you need money in a hurry I would suggest something like becoming a CNA, you may not like it and you may even hate your job but aleast you can be earning an income. And you have a better chance of landing a job right after you graduate, also the programs are usually very cheap. Getting angry about will get you nowhere, you just have to dust yourself off and get back up agian. Look at me I owe 6,000 to the school, I had to defer my loans which is another good thing about community college. You don't have to pay as long as your going to school! But I still continue to go forward and not let that little set back tear me down.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Rolinda in Chula Vista, California

60 months ago

tjones in Middle River, Maryland said: WHY BE A VOLUNTEER AND YOUR INTEREST RATE IS GOING TOWARDS YOUR PAYMENTS FOR SCHOOL YOU WILL BE PAYING MORE BACK THEN WHAT YOU SUPPOSE TO PAY BACK.YOU CANT DO THAT WHEN YOUR AN SINGLE PARENT.AND NO I DONT WANT JUST A PAYCHECK I WANT THE EXPERIENCE AND TO HELP OTHERS.AND I REALLY WENT BACK TO THE SCHOOL I ATTENDED AND THEY COULDN'T HELP ME WITH NOTHING BUT THEY DO AN JOB FAIR EVERY YEAR.

Hi tjones, I understand your frustration. The recession is effecting every profession. During our current economy, jobs are less available and more difficult to obtain. Employers will do everything they can to cut their expenses. Hiring inexperienced new graduates who require orientation and training is costly for employers, which is why they want experienced employees. Supply is higher than demand in our current job market, so employers can be choosy and they are hiring the best. Helper Bee, Matt, Aries and Lovely have all given you excellent and sound advice. By volunteering you will not only gain the experience employers are looking for, but also demonstrate your strong desire to work in the field and give you the opportunity to meet new people and network with other Healthcare Professionals who will recommend you for open positions. Give yourself every advantage. You may even gain heartfelt rewards while helping other people. I know they will appreciate you. I hope this helps. Stay positive. I wish you all the best. Good journey.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

thanks for your comment.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Dra Langford in Ocoee, Florida

59 months ago

Hello, iam a foreing educated phisician an usa a Rma, iam looking for a job in central florida as a MA i have experience as MA and MD but in my country. I guess that is why i cant find a job, iam bilingual. i can do a MA job and much more, i need a job in my field so bad. please somebody hel me?
thank you
DRA langford
my email is dracoralislangford@hotmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Tom in Bradenton, Florida

57 months ago

I graduated with honors with a degree in Legal Studies in 2005 and never found a job due to the lack of experience. Well, the school is not getting a dime back. I moved to England no wonder why our economy is in trouble. You got to train people to replace the ones retiring. In England they appreciate that and invest in their people.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jmg87 in Alamo, California

57 months ago

Volunteering Is the only way to gain experience if the job market is not hiring.
But taking the easy way such as tom by not paying his tuition, isn't okay either. He got an education and did not pay for it, I call that stealing. You chose to go to that school and I'm sure you signed forms from the school, saying they will help you find a job but won't guarantee it...

I wish you the best of luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Matt in Layton. in Salt Lake City, Utah

57 months ago

Jmg87 in Alamo, California said: Volunteering Is the only way to gain experience if the job market is not hiring.
But taking the easy way such as tom by not paying his tuition, isn't okay either. He got an education and did not pay for it, I call that stealing. You chose to go to that school and I'm sure you signed forms from the school, saying they will help you find a job but won't guarantee it...

I wish you the best of luck!

Hi there, He will get what's coming to him. Things have of working out even making wrong's right and so on. God sees and know everything. So don't worry about him just pray for him. Happy Easter and God bless.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

DSGFGG in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

54 months ago

VCCCJJJJJJJJJJJJJ

Xtine in Santa Clara, California

52 months ago

I agree...I went to school for it also..graduated with a 4.0 and perfect attendance and STILL No job was available. What a waste of money! Employers just want to hire those with experience BUT how are you supposed to get experience if they dont hire new students!

shelley in Chicago, Illinois

51 months ago

it seem that we are all rocking the same boat here. I went back to school for MA graduated, and finished my extership and still no job because of lack of experience. Most employers require you to have atleast 1 to 2 years of experience in your fileld. What I have decided to do is to volunteer at local hospital and/or clinic to gain experience. And in the meantime, I am going back to a community college for RN. Do I feel like i wasted my time in becoming a MA? not at all, because I know it depends on how well i can sell myself and how well I do my job. Besides because I am a MA now, it helps me in my school work in becoming a RN. We have to reach for the top and stop looking at the bottom because it stops you from paying attention in what you need to to. I hope this helped someone out there. Just have a little more patient things will always work themselves out.

Delana in Grand Prairie, Texas

49 months ago

tjones in Middle River, Maryland said: how is it that these school's train you to be a medical assistant and then promise you a job afterwards .and when you graduate you have no job no experience and no one dont want to hire without the experience.and knowing you have to pay these schools back their money and i been looking since 2008.no job yet as a medical assistant but trying my best to pay the school back their money.what a wast of time.

im in the same spot as you i have been looking since 2009 and still have yet to find anything

t2w2779@yahoo.com in Kalamazoo, Michigan

48 months ago

I know how tjones feels, I am a single mother I too have to pay back loans. So I went back to school. I am a Registered Medical Assistant and I've been looking for an medical assisting job since 2009. I finally had to take a job as a Child Care Assistant. The pay is not great but I am making something. I like your advice. I too I am going to volunteer for as long has possible. But like tjones you have to understand there are bills to be paid. How long can I possible volunteer be for I not only will not have a job but no income to support myself and children. They hospitals and clinics are looking for 2-3 years at the least for experience. What I suggest that if tjones is able to volunteer on the weekends if possible or work on the weekends and volunteer during the week. That way you can gain experience and still be able to pay bills. The student loan people can modify your payments. Or you can return to school and study for something related to Medical Assisting. I am current enrolled online to become an Health Care Administrator. Where there is a will theres a way. :)

jackie in Shreveport, Louisiana

48 months ago

I will be graduating from the M.A. program in April of this year. I have only 24 hours of my externship left. I have been looking online for jobs available in this field and have found alot. However, the experience required, is not at all what I have. I see the time spent in class as well as all the long night studies & clinical hours as a complete waste of time. I am head strong and very much desiring to further my education in order to have lasting career. I amm also a single parent, unemployed, have bills, child care cost, and the works. Will that stop me from being what I want to be? NO! Will that stop me from doing what I want to do? NO! If not for me having the desire to better myself, what kind of life will I give to my children? How will they better understand what it means to put your best foot forward and push for your own success? No one out there is going to just lay the job in your lap, so to speak, if you want it bad enough, push for it. I have always been the independent type, and have never asked for help. I will continue to be that way.... in order to get my life on track and show my children that THEY TOO, CAN BE ANYTHING THEY WANT TO BE....AS LONG AS THEY HAVE THE DESIRE TO DO WHAT THEIR HEARTS LEAD THEM TO DO. To each one of you that is having a hard time finding a position, I wish you the very best of luck. I too will be in the exact situation shortly. And I say "cheers" for a job well done with completing a program you started. That shows that you have ambition.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Super(mom)Woman in Everett, Massachusetts

47 months ago

we can not only depend on the school for help we need to do the foot work as well. Always make sure the school you are attending has an internship program to help with the experience need or volunter always helps. :)

teejay in Oakland, California

47 months ago

tjones in Middle River, Maryland said: how is it that these school's train you to be a medical assistant and then promise you a job afterwards .and when you graduate you have no job no experience and no one dont want to hire without the experience.and knowing you have to pay these schools back their money and i been looking since 2008.no job yet as a medical assistant but trying my best to pay the school back their money.what a wast of time.

Do not worry you are not the only one in this situation. I been in this same exact situation since i graduated back in 2009. I still have not found a job in the field of what I went to school for. I owe money still, and for some reason they somehow expect those who have not found a job right after to pay them back. Most positions require experience. WTF??

Paul in Tampa, Florida

47 months ago

Tom in Bradenton, Florida said: I graduated with honors with a degree in Legal Studies in 2005 and never found a job due to the lack of experience. Well, the school is not getting a dime back. I moved to England no wonder why our economy is in trouble. You got to train people to replace the ones retiring. In England they appreciate that and invest in their people.

....just wondering...if you live in England, why does it show that you are in Bradenton, Florida?

aturner1379 in Louisville, Kentucky

46 months ago

I am a current MA student, I have found a well paying job being a Biometric Screener for a health insurance company. It is a contract job and does require some travel and maybe even overnight stays but the pay is good, the job is giving me experience and I always meet new people to network with on full time jobs or even more contract jobs. If you step outside the box sometimes you find new and interesting ways to gain experience and make new contacts as well as money.

aturner1379 in Louisville, Kentucky

46 months ago

I am a MA student at a private college, I have a job already by looking outside the box. I am a Biometric screener for a major health insurance company. We go to employers sites and screen participants for health issues. If you can not find an MA job try something that is an MA job but not listed as such.I am gaining experience with my MA as well as with customer service and the pay is good. There may be some travel and over night stays involved but I only take the jobs I can do at the time.

Nanlisa in Upper Darby, Pennsylvania

46 months ago

I clearly can't stress this. These trade school ads don't tell you the reality of being a medical assistant. They just simply glamorize the medical field. They make it sound so easy to get a job as one, but they don't tell you what you'll expect when you work as a medical assistant. They don't tell you that you have to draw blood, stick needles in the patient, assist the doctor with a patient, and so forth. It's a very tough and demanding job. If you think working in a restaurant or retail store is bad; think again.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Paul in Tampa, Florida

46 months ago

Nanlisa in Upper Darby, Pennsylvania said: I clearly can't stress this. These trade school ads don't tell you the reality of being a medical assistant. They just simply glamorize the medical field. They make it sound so easy to get a job as one, but they don't tell you what you'll expect when you work as a medical assistant. They don't tell you that you have to draw blood, stick needles in the patient, assist the doctor with a patient, and so forth. It's a very tough and demanding job. If you think working in a restaurant or retail store is bad; think again.

Just out of curiosity, what exactly did you think a Medical Assistants'job requirements were?

anon7079 in Coolidge, Arizona

44 months ago

I'm not sure if this will help you but some areas allow a Medical Assistant to apply for CNA jobs, MA's go to school an average of 8-9 months to learn their trade while CNA's go for 2 months, atleast that's the way it is here. Try that even if it's not the job you want you can do that until you get the right job for you.

rgbjones in Corpus Christi, Texas

42 months ago

Tom in Bradenton, Florida said: I graduated with honors with a degree in Legal Studies in 2005 and never found a job due to the lack of experience. Well, the school is not getting a dime back. I moved to England no wonder why our economy is in trouble. You got to train people to replace the ones retiring. In England they appreciate that and invest in their people.

I too can't find a job after attending Concorde Career College for Medical Assistant.. I graduated with honors as well and am curious about working in Europe as well, how do I do this, what kinds of companies are hiring Medical Assistants if any... Rebecca

rgbjones in Corpus Christi, Texas

42 months ago

rgbjones in Corpus Christi, Texas said: I too can't find a job after attending Concorde Career College for Medical Assistant.. I graduated with honors as well and am curious about working in Europe as well, how do I do this, what kinds of companies are hiring Medical Assistants if any... Rebecca

You can email me at becca_in_hb@yahoo.com thanks Rebecca

valentine in Park City, Utah

42 months ago

rgbjones in Corpus Christi, Texas said: I too can't find a job after attending Concorde Career College for Medical Assistant.. I graduated with honors as well and am curious about working in Europe as well, how do I do this, what kinds of companies are hiring Medical Assistants if any... Rebecca

First off, I'm going to safely assume he was lying about living in England, especially since it showed his location as Florida.

Secondly, Medical Assistant is a purely American occupation. The training you received does not transfer to a different country. A quick internet search shows that they only have Healthcare Assistants, which is the equivalent to our CNAs. So they work in nursing homes, changing, bathing and moving patients.

Thirdly, why would a British company pay the money to issue you a visa to work over there when they have PLENTY of unemployed people there? They might do that for a higher level medical personnel, like a doctor or maybe a nurse, definitely not an MA.

I would suggest taking the advice of other posters and try volunteering until you gain the necessary experience to be hired.

Good Luck in your job search

Melissa Murphy in Clementon, New Jersey

41 months ago

I graduated form MA school back in 2005 and I got a job before my externship was over. You have to just keep trying and stop relying on the school to do the work for you. In the real world you have to do your own job search. Stay positive and keep looking, something will come along that is awesome! You might have to go through several interviews before you find the perfect one, but in the end it is so worth it when you real in the perfect job.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.