I want to help people. if MA is a no then what do you suggest?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

valgal123 in Bellevue, Washington

40 months ago

If there aren't any jobs with

MA
Opthalmic assisting
Optician
RN
Dental assisting

and I want to help people and I'm not very good with math what career do you suggest I go after?
I'm beginning to think that there aren't any jobs period. its so frustrating when i get excited about a career and then find everyone saying "there are no jobs available, don't go to school for this!"

I make more money now working at Whole Foods than a lot of the people that go to school the list above. but its just not as fulfilling as I think those jobs would be.

As a kid in high school I was oblivious to how the job market was. I had no idea that tons of people went to school and then can't find jobs. Crazy numbers of people can't find jobs.

I was also thinking of moving to FL, I live in WA. But it looks like the ecomomy hit there the hardest.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Sharise D in Augusta, Georgia

39 months ago

word for it ask both another tech school & a community college yourself)

39 months ago

Sorry that posted wrong:
The best advice I can give is 1.)Research, research, research. The main mistake I see when people say I went to medical assistanting school and now can't find a job is because they didn't look into the job market in their area, for instance in Atlanta, GA it's an endless list of jobs for medical assistants with a pay anywhere from 10.00 - 20.00 depending on experience but then in Augusta, GA medical assistanting is slim to none and what jobs do become available has fierce competition and then when the people get them they hang onto them forever. 2.) Know your options usually after 3 years of being a medical assistant you're eligible to start teaching a medical assistant class.

--Another career choice would be a surgical tech not really a lot patient contact (b/c they’re passed out from anesthesia) but if you interested in being in the OR the job can be fascinating or boring. You pass surgical equipment to the surgeon; you can specialize in general, labor & delivery, plastic surgery, orthopedics and more. It's about an 18 month program for certificate. This can be a money maker if you move yourself into the surgical tech first assistant position which works with the surgeon and at times is left to close the patient. However this job does require you to work on call and normally start out on 3rd shift.
--Just recently on yahoo it showed that dental assistants made more than medical assistants and I believe the courses are the same in length.
-- Other pointers are when going for a certificate or associate degree always as pick certificate if you don't see yourself pursuing another career. The school may try and pressure you to go on the associate path (just so you can pay them more money) but keep in mind when you apply for a job most of them don't ask if you have an assoicate's degree they want to know if you graduated from school you're a certified or register medical assistant.

39 months ago

And if you do pick the associates degree make sure the courses can transfer to other schools, because some schools only take their own credits (don't just take their word for it ask both another tech school & a community college yourself) Where ever you decide to move your best friend is the Indeed website just plug in the city of where you want to move and type in the career of choice and it will give you a pretty good idea of what the market is for that area. And last but not least if you do decide to enter any career the trick is to do some volunteer work, so when you finish school and start applying for jobs you can apply for jobs that say “experience preferred”. For instance I use to live in Atlanta but moved to Augusta (totally not by choice) I couldn’t find a job anywhere, the only work I could get was a phlebotomist on an as needed basis about 2 times a month. So just as of recent, to keep my MA skills up, I started to volunteer at one of the local hospitals in the dermatology clinic, the admin was telling me all the stuff she needed me to do, which was a portion of what I do as a medical assistant. I’ve always wanted to do derm but most derm jobs always request that you have past experience I figure this way when we move again I can apply for a specialty position which pays more. With that being said I plan on volunteering in other fields that I’m interested in. So for a person who works & is going to school, if their day job is flexible where you’re able to volunteer 3 hrs a week at the local hospital, by the time your finish school & externship you’ll be ahead of your other classmates and more likely to place job, volunteering is also an added bonus that looks good on your resume.
Sorry this is so long but I hope it gave you a little insight on which ever career you choose.
Possible other jobs:
Surgical Tech
Phlebotomist
Patient Care Tech
Ultrasound Tech (can work in Cardiology doing echo's / gyn / general)
Radiologic Tech ( xrays,mri's, etc)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

brina in Augusta, Georgia

39 months ago

Sharise D in Augusta, Georgia said: And if you do pick the associates degree make sure the courses can transfer to other schools, because some schools only take their own credits (don't just take their word for it ask both another tech school & a community college yourself) Where ever you decive and type in the carewill give you a pretty good idea of what the market is for that area. And last but not least if you do decide to enter any career the trick is to do some volunteer work, so when you finish school and start applying for jobs you can apply for jobs that say “experience preferred”. For instance I use to live in Atlanta but moved to Augusta (totally not by choice) I couldn’t find a job anywhere, the only work I could get was a phlebotomist on an as needed basis about 2 times a month. So just as of recent, to keep my MA skills up, I started to volunteer at one of the local hospitals in the dermatology clinic, the admin was telling me all the stuff she needed me to do, which was a portion of what I do as a medical assistant. I’ve always wanted to do derm but most derm jobs always request that you have past experience I figure this way when we move again I can apply for a specialty position which pays more. With that being said I plan on volunteering in other fields that I’m interested in. So for a person who works & is going to school, if their day job is flexible where you’re able to volunteer 3 hrs a week at the local hospital, by the time your finish school & externship you’ll be ahead of your other classmates and more likely to place job, volunteering is also an added bonus that looks good on your resume.
Sorry this is so long but I hope it gave you a little insight on which ever career you choose.
Possible other jobs:
Surgical Tech
Phlebotomist
Patient Care Tech
Ultrasound Tech (can work in Cardiology doing echo's / gyn / general

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.