2 get hired go for your CCA

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (12)

KNorkooli in Marquette, Michigan

52 months ago

Hi! I am current in am exam prep class for my CCA. This day and age no doctor or Hospital is wanting to hire someone who doesn't have at a minimum their CCA. You have to contact AHIMA to find out about rh CCA, where it will be given in your state and how much the cost is to take it. I also suggest you look into an Exam prep class so your not throwing away $299.00 to take the exam. Right now only about 10% of all billing/coding persons who take the exam pass it, so exam prep is a must!!!

So, if you want a job in billing/coding and want to get in the doorway faster than most go take your CCA at the very least. Hope this info. will help some of you out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

kim, CPC in West Jordan, Utah

51 months ago

KNorkooli in Marquette, Michigan said: Hi! I am current in am exam prep class for my CCA. This day and age no doctor or Hospital is wanting to hire someone who doesn't have at a minimum their CCA. You have to contact AHIMA to find out about rh CCA, where it will be given in your state and how much the cost is to take it. I also suggest you look into an Exam prep class so your not throwing away $299.00 to take the exam. Right now only about 10% of all billing/coding persons who take the exam pass it, so exam prep is a must!!!

So, if you want a job in billing/coding and want to get in the doorway faster than most go take your CCA at the very least. Hope this info. will help some of you out.

i am sorry, but i feel like this is completely untrue information. NO ONE wants a CCA. I agree that hospitals and physicians prefer a candidate who is certified, but they want the CPC or the CCS-P.

I don't know who told you that you can get a coding job with this certification, but I am guessing it was probably the school or whoever offers the prep class.....

again, not trying to be rude, but I see it on this forum all the time, people wasting time and money on the CCA.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

KNorkooli in Marquette, Michigan

51 months ago

Well, in some ways I agree with u that most would perfer more than a CCA but since such a low amount of people pass any of the exams... mroe so in my area they are seeking anyone with a CCA CPC or CCS-P this may not be true to your area. But a CCA is much better then just having the background of the coding and billing course.

The CCA is the easier exam CPC and CCS-P are wayyy harder and it is suggested that the only person who could possibly sucessfully pass that exam are persons who have already been in the billing and coding career.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

kim, CPC in West Jordan, Utah

51 months ago

KNorkooli in Marquette, Michigan said: Well, in some ways I agree with u that most would perfer more than a CCA but since such a low amount of people pass any of the exams... mroe so in my area they are seeking anyone with a CCA CPC or CCS-P this may not be true to your area. But a CCA is much better then just having the background of the coding and billing course.

The CCA is the easier exam CPC and CCS-P are wayyy harder and it is suggested that the only person who could possibly sucessfully pass that exam are persons who have already been in the billing and coding career.

huh.....well like i said i wasn't trying to be rude, i was just going off my experience in this field. but i suppose if only 10% are passing the CCA (which is totally crazy!!) that is better than a non certified employee. i wonder why so few are passing? I know that the pass rate shouldn't be high because they are difficult tests (CCS and CPC included) but it should be higher than 10%.....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Marisa Mace in Linden, Virginia

51 months ago

I have finished my coding and billing courses in Febuary. Ive already attempted the CCA its tough. I also heard the CPC and CCS are tougher. only 1 of 3 pass the CCA the first time takeing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Donna Matsinger in Gastonia, North Carolina

39 months ago

They just don't hire anyone without experience. I see the same postings for jobs out here all the time! I took the medical billing and codeing class twice, plus a advanced computer class. I did very well. But it's almost been two years of looking,and nothing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

valentine2 in Salt Lake City, Utah

39 months ago

Donna Matsinger in Gastonia, North Carolina said: They just don't hire anyone without experience. I see the same postings for jobs out here all the time! I took the medical billing and codeing class twice, plus a advanced computer class. I did very well. But it's almost been two years of looking,and nothing.

Have you look for entry level HIM jobs? Something in medical records, billing, account follow up, data entry or even front desk? Something to help you gain medical experience and allow you to network? Hospitals tend to hire from within, so if there is an opening, they give preference to current employees.

I started out doing data entry and moved up to coding.

I have seen the same thing, the same job postings open for months, its too bad they would prefer to leave a position empty, rather than fill it with someone without experience.

39 months ago

Thank you so much! I will give it a try! Donna

Tee-Tee in Chattanooga, Tennessee

39 months ago

Took classes on line for medical billing in 2009. Do going to school online have any thing to do with not getting hired? Did not get to do any intern.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

KNORKOOLI in Marquette, Michigan

39 months ago

It doesn't matter how or where you get your education. Infact, the issues we are all running into is the ones who are currently in billing/coding usually stay til retirement. Which means, those of us waitingin line to get in can end up having a long wait. So, suggestion is to apply for anything that will get your foot in the door even if it isn't the billing department. Try for medical records or receptionist or office assistent. Whatever you maybe qualified for. Another aspect is to go in and talk with H.R. and tell them your willing to intern there for so long with and understanding that during this process you are being seriously considered for employment there. You want to make sure you can dedicate at least 3 days a week and give them a limit of three month for determination.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

39 months ago

I'm thinking of adding a cna certification to my billing and coding. Do you think that would help?? Donna

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

valentine in Park City, Utah

39 months ago

Donna Matsinger in Gastonia, North Carolina said: I'm thinking of adding a cna certification to my billing and coding. Do you think that would help?? Donna

Not to be rude.....but why would being a CNA help? If you are new, and can't find a job due to lack of experience, even if you were a CNA, you sitll woouldn't have billing/coding experience.

Have you tried looking for entry level HIM jobs? Something in medical records, billing, account follow up, data entry or even front desk? Something to help you gain ICD 9 and CPT experience.

I started out doing medical data entry and moved up to coding.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.