Getting ahead...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (46)

Host

What is the best training for becoming a hirable medical billing clerk? What types of ongoing training or certifications are necessary to be an effective medical billing clerk?

What do non-traditional career paths look like?

Reply - Report abuse

Ginene in Baltimore, Maryland

81 months ago

You really don't need to go to school. Try getting in through a temp service by applying for a front desk position. This position basically just greet new patients and schedule appointments. From there you can get trained to do other functions within the company.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Lee~Lea in Nashville, Tennessee

79 months ago

Host said: What is the best training for becoming a hirable medical billing clerk? What types of ongoing training or certifications are necessary to be an effective medical billing clerk?

I didn't go to school either I found that it's a LOT better to have the expirence you don't always learn hand on in school. I worked ask a clerk for vanderbilt I wen there from blockbuster. Just get an entry level position and work up that's really all you can do a degree isn't going to change wheither or not you can do the job. I think expirence is better I trained someone from school to do my position and I had to basically erase everything she had learned at school and start from the begining.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Michelle Rimmer, CHI,CBCS in Brick, New Jersey

77 months ago

Host said: What is the best training for becoming a hirable medical billing clerk? What types of ongoing training or certifications are necessary to be an effective medical billing clerk?

I have over 18 years experience in this industry, I teach at 3 colleges, have my own online medical billing training, authored 2 textbooks, and am the owner of the Professional Medical Billers Association. I disagree with the last 2 posts.

While on-the-job experience is great--a GREAT tarining program is essential. Certifcation is alsoan added plus, as it puts the biller a 'step above' and shows dedication to the field.

Hands-on training with the CMS-1500 form is essential---I 'beat' the form into my students' heads until they are dreaming of it!!

Michelle Rimmer, CHI,CBCS
Owner-Professional Medical Billers Association
Owner-learn Medical Billing Online
Owner-Shore Medical Billing
Author, 'Medical Billing 101' and 'Coding Basics: Understanding Medical Collections(2/09)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lori D in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania

76 months ago

I also own a billing service, and teach Medical Billing & Coding at a local business school, as well as Medisoft. You don't need experience to get in a doc's office, but you DO need it if you want to start right in billing. NO ONE, and I mean NO ONE is going to turn any part of the cash flow over to someone with no training or experience. Front desk is a great way to learn a bit, and to learn some billing software, but those front desk people who go the extra mile to learn more about billing & coding (from a certified business school), AND about billing software will move into billing much, much faster than those who do not. Feel free to email me:InfoLori@enter.net or www.DonnellyBenefits.net

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Monica in Wilmington, Delaware

74 months ago

I am currently attending Harris Business School for medical Billing and Coding. I was online reading different blogs and came across (yours which is below) and most of the blogs say they paid the money got the training and the certificate but can't find a job. I live in Delaware and I was just wondering is it really that hard to find a job? I have been working in the Emergency Department for 6 yrs as a clerk/ registration clerk (that is where we verify ins and address and demo info. Please tell me if in your opinion am I wasting my $11k

Thanks
Monica Johnson

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
– Aristotle

Michelle Rimmer, CHI,CBCS in Brick, New Jersey said: I have over 18 years experience in this industry, I teach at 3 colleges, have my own online medical billing training, authored 2 textbooks, and am the owner of the Professional Medical Billers Association. I disagree with the last 2 posts.

While on-the-job experience is great--a GREAT tarining program is essential. Certifcation is alsoan added plus, as it puts the biller a 'step above' and shows dedication to the field.

Hands-on training with the CMS-1500 form is essential---I 'beat' the form into my students' heads until they are dreaming of it!!

Author, 'Medical Billing 101' and 'Coding Basics: Understanding Medical Collections(2/09)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

No they don't we have to pay 300 dollars and find somewhere to take the test. basically they said we have to go online and find a testing site. I have been reading some other blogs and salary sites and it says that the average starting salary is 13-16 dollars per hr. Is this true?

74 months ago

Michelle Rimmer, CHI,CBCS in Brick, New Jersey said: Hi Monica,

I don't want to say you are wasting your money-but you did NOT need to spend $11,000 to learn medical billing and coding!! That kills me when I hear people say they have spent that much on a program! It is ridiculous!!

Perserverance is the key!! And a GREAT resume!! Does your school offer a credentialing exam when you are done?

No they don't we have to pay 300 dollars and find somewhere to take the test. basically they said we have to go online and find a testing site. I have been reading some other blogs and salary sites and it says that the average starting salary is 13-16 dollars per hr. Is this true? you mentioned a good resume. My question is do you think wih my experience of being in an ER for 6.5 yrs as a clerk would help me out in the billing world. I make calls to dr's and other hospitals for dr's and nurses, send labs, key in diagnostic test, help pt's with comfort, sign in pt's, register them, update traumas, register traumas, I have charge duties over 16 clerks (we rotate this position every day)train co workers and much more. Another question I have is do I even need to go to school to do medical billing or is it something I can pick up

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

Monica in Wilmington, Delaware said: I am currently attending Harris Business School for medical Billing and Coding. I was online reading different blogs and came across (yours which is below) and most of the blogs say they paid the money got the training and the certificate but can't find a job. I live in Delaware and I was just wondering is it really that hard to find a job? I have been working in the Emergency Department for 6 yrs as a clerk/ registration clerk (that is where we verify ins and address and demo info. Please tell me if in your opinion am I wasting my $11k

Thanks
Monica Johnson

– Aristotle

Also I see that you own an online school can you tell me how much it is and how long it takes? I know I have a lot of questions LOL thanks for all your help

Patricia Carpe in Enfield, Connecticut

74 months ago

I attended a Community College to take a Medical Coding Certificate Program. I finished in April, 2008. No one that went to schoo with me has found a job. I did pass the American Academy of Professional Coders exam on April 26th and now am a CPC-A. That doesn't mean anything because you don't have any experience and you can't get experience because no one will hire you. I think the whole field is flooded with people or the whole "career" is just bogus. Myself and my friends are very upset and frustrated. I am a quick learner and a hard worker and very organized and did very well in school, and I can't even get a response to my resume. Also, temporary agencies send you on these assignments where the employer expects you to know their computer system, etc. and YOU HAVE NO EXPERIENCE. One place wanted me to review all outgoing mail to make sure it complied with HIPPA. Does that make any sense? How can you gain valuable experience when there is no training in the work place? That's my question. I think that medical coding is a waste of time and going to school for it is a big waste of money.

Shonda DeBerry in Paterson, New Jersey

74 months ago

I am a recent graduate of Chubb Instute for medical billing and coding and I'm becoming discouraged. I have applied to several postions and most want you to have 6 months to a year experience. How are you going to get experience if no one will take the time to give it to you.I was dedicated to class, straight A student, certified in 3 cmms courses,have a great work history before I event went back to school and still no replies to my resume.

sharetta white in Lynn Haven, Florida

72 months ago

Hi, I have had my certificate from U.S.Career Institute for 2yrs and still have not found a job. I really want to open my own medical billing and coding business at home, but I really wanted to get experience in a office setting. I want to make sure that I have it down before I take on that responsiblity. Do you have any advise for me?

Robin in Zeeland, Michigan

72 months ago

HI All,
This is interesting and i am glad I found it. I am a 2006 graduate from Davenport University with a certificate for Medical Billing and coding. I have spent the last 2 years applying for for Medical billing positions. In this area of West Michigan we have several new hospitals and MMPC family offices newly opening and I still can not get hired. I have all the practical help from the University but without experience I am getting no where because I lack experience. What can I do?

Gwen Fleming in Agawam, Massachusetts

72 months ago

Hello Michelle Rimmer,

I have a few questions for you if you have a little time. I am attending classes for medical coding/billing. I started in May and am in course 8 of 10. I find it very challenging. I just have a few questions.
Thank you Gwen

Michelle Rimmer, CHI,CBCS in Brick, New Jersey said: I have over 18 years experience in this industry, I teach at 3 colleges, have my own online medical billing training, authored 2 textbooks, and am the owner of the Professional Medical Billers Association. I disagree with the last 2 posts.

Stephanny in Elizabeth, New Jersey

72 months ago

Wow, I can't believe that I'm not the only one who is having trouble finding a job. I graduated lincoln tech in april and I am having problems finding one too. Everywhere I go to they want someone who has experience and is certified. I paid $12k for this course the CCA exam is included. I had a job as a patient service rep/registrar which I lasted for a month til I got laid off. How can I find a job that is willing to hire someone with no experience??

72 months ago

HI! I want you to know I've been reading along with the post regarding finding a MB job. I too spent that much money on my certificate and unable to find a job and I've been looking since August 2006.

72 months ago

Good morning.....

In response to not being able to find a job in MB. What I did is create a resume and post it everywhere, Monster.com, Craigslist.org and so on. I also went to all the Temp to Perm job services and registered with them. I have approx. 2 months left of Medical coding/billing. While waiting for answers from my resume, I started taking 1 to 3 day temp positions. I've started receiving calls and after 5 interviews I actually have a choice of which position I want. You would be amazed at how many companies post on the web instead of the newspapers. I hope this is helpful. what do you have to lose?
Happy hunting,
Gwen

72 months ago

Gwen,
Thank you for the advise!

71 months ago

Vol. 18 •Issue 18 • Page 12
Secrets to Landing Your First Coding Job
We interviewed five newly-hired coders. None had their CCS or CPC credentials; none had real coding experience. All landed great coding jobs. Find out how.

By Ainsley Maloney

Here is a link that may help those looking to get their foot in the door

Copy and Paste this address into your browser. Very interesting reading.

health-information.advanceweb.com/Editorial/Search/AViewer.aspx?AN=HI_08sep8_hip12.html&AD=09-08-2008

EMelton in Saint Marys, Georgia

69 months ago

This is very heartbreaking... I cant see how school lead people to think this- you go to school get the education and find GREAT jobs. When I also read in different forums that is NOT the case. Im also looking into coding/billing. What is wrong with the field of billing/coding- how come NO ONE has entry levels for these positions?? How do businesses think those "experienced" ones got their experience?? I just dont know what to think OR do anymore

Kiran Kotamraju in Rochester, Michigan

66 months ago

Hi Michelle,
I am a certified Medical Biller here in Michigan. I am desperately looking for a job as a biller but there isn't any hope left in me. I want to work from home as I have to look after my baby. If it is possible please let me know if you have any positions available at this point or in future. Pleas do email me at kvanikiran@gmail.com and I will be in touch with you for further dealings.

Thank u,
Kiran.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

tshckl

66 months ago

Patricia Carpe in Enfield, Connecticut said: I attended a Community College to take a Medical Coding Certificate Program. I finished in April, 2008. No one that went to schoo with me has found a job. I did pass the American Academy of Professional Coders exam on April 26th and now am a CPC-A. That doesn't mean anything because you don't have any experience and you can't get experience because no one will hire you. I think the whole field is flooded with people or the whole "career" is just bogus. Myself and my friends are very upset and frustrated. I am a quick learner and a hard worker and very organized and did very well in school, and I can't even get a response to my resume. Also, temporary agencies send you on these assignments where the employer expects you to know their computer system, etc. and YOU HAVE NO EXPERIENCE. One place wanted me to review all outgoing mail to make sure it complied with HIPPA. Does that make any sense? How can you gain valuable experience when there is no training in the work place? That's my question. I think that medical coding is a waste of time and going to school for it is a big waste of money.

I am in the same shape, I think medical billing and coding is a waste of time. I paid all that money and still can't get into a doctors office or hospital because they want 2-5 years experience or more.

Robin in Grand Rapids, Michigan

66 months ago

I know it's frustrating! I have been in the same boat as all of you. I joined the local chapter of the AAPC here in GR and am networkinf from there. I am interning in a local doctor's office and getting valuable experienmce. I have also gotten two job prospects that I am currently exployering.
Good luck to you all.

Dee40 in Lawrenceville, Georgia

66 months ago

I am medical coder and biller also I went to a medical training school and graduate in sept. 2006. I am having the same promblem that your having not getting any responses from my resumes online or even faxes to any of these jobs. I do not have a certification but I am working on it. Now it is a question to me do you think I should even get a certification if that is not guarntee to get an interview off of. I would love to have it but to me it was a waste of time to go to school when you were promised a job in your program and then when you do, you have no opportunity to prove yourself to any employer but the schools all they do is take your money and now you are left with a bill that you owe to the department of education that you can not pay because of lack of job.So at this point I agree 100% with you. If there is someone out there that could help me in this situation please contact me.

Janelle Thibodeau in Waltham, Massachusetts

66 months ago

I got laid off the first week of February of this year. I was looking for a job for the first couple of weeks and NO ONE was calling me back. I am 23 years old and only have experience in the Automotive Industry. And pretty much the only thing id be able to do is an entry level position which i am having a horrible time trying to find. I decided that while im collecting unemployment i would attend a school for Medical Billing and Coding as a full time student... when will i ever have this option again?? my last 2 jobs in the last 6 years closed due to the economy and im looking to get into a different field... a safer field than a dealership. But i did get offered a job at a Dealership...same owner that i used to work with. But i dont know if i should just take it or go to school for $11800 and get out of the auto industry..ANY ADVISE?? i dont know what to do. You can email me @ angel61644@aol.com. Please i need advise on what i should do.

Janelle Thibodeau in Waltham, Massachusetts

66 months ago

is it accredited?

plshrk1 in Lockwood, New York

66 months ago

Hello,
I would just like to know if it is pure luck or being in the right place at the right time to be lucky enough to get your foot in the door. After earning my 2 yr degree and becoming a CPC through AAPC and being a member 2nd year now and still no position with regards to my degree. I am working and thankful for that but my passion was to work from home someday after a few years of experience and being able to move to NC and find a decent job. My husband is 54 so he is 10 years older than I am and I was preparing for my future and after 10 years I thought, jeez I can owrk from home someday. I just want to get into a billing position where I could learn and grow and become very good at it. Any suggestions? Thanks so much in advance. I have been discouraged since last year.

Digger1 in Los Angeles, California

66 months ago

hey plshrk1 find any work? let me know if you get this

kayla in Mount Vernon, New York

66 months ago

is it possible to get an externship in hospitals or clinics? its really hard to find something

plshrk1 in Sayre, Pennsylvania

66 months ago

The advice that the local hospital med records manager gave me was this: "You didnt take pharmacology, and you received your ed in outpatient coding/billing, with CPC certification pre-training. We are a magnet hospital and require RHIT or CCS etc - not CPC coders. My suggestion to you is take pharmacology, and all of the classes you did not get in the program you received that are in the RHIT associates degree, then sit for the national RHIT test and call us then.. basically. She was nice, but cant help me much until then. I even volunteered to come in 4 hrs a week in the record room to learn, and didnt get a response. Sooo.. move? I dont know. I cant run away from the area. We are set here. Almost have our home paid off, but no extra money for our eggs nest and will be working another 23 years. Just not sure what to do now! : ) Keep smilin I suppose and keep lookin'. Take care.

Munroe in Rhode Island

66 months ago

tshckl said: I am in the same shape, I think medical billing and coding is a waste of time. I paid all that money and still can't get into a doctors office or hospital because they want 2-5 years experience or more.

Same here--can't even get a receptionist job in a doctors office-- ---never mind billing. I'm going to try volunteering at a local hospital to see if that will help. There are no entry level billing jobs period! I'm so disgusted too. I would have been better off taking a basket weaving course.

plsrhk1 in Norwich, New York

66 months ago

With the way the economy is right now, even people with master's degrees cant find jobs - but I still chalk it up to - being in the right place at the right time and knowing someone "networking" to get that job you are looking for. If you live in a small town like I do way out 17 minutes from town, it makes a difference also, then "town" is too small to have enough jobs and you keep beating a dead horse. I have been looking in all different directions including applying at the Counties for civil service tests because some of those pay much better than entry level billing/coding. If I get into a county job I may not renew my aapc membership. I guess I also dont understand why they make you continue paying a yearly 120.00 membership for one certification if you passed your CPC exam and are maintaining your ceus, its more expensive than therapist's yearly dues in their memberships which is only 30.00. I am not trying to be a rebel, just trying to understand this all, and whether or not its going to work out for me. It's an individual decision, but for me, if all I get is attitude when I apply or get interviewed like I am wasting their time with just a CPC certification, then what did I do? There are so many of us out there that would give their left pinky finger to nab that medical billing/coding entry level lower paying position to start their new career, so that they may learn their way up the ladder. I give all of you the credit in the world for trying so hard and making your way to this point in your career, its just a very slow goings for some of us. This support forum has helped me to see that there are so many of us out there in the same situation, and although it doesnt pay the bills on Friday, it does take away the sense of " I am the only one " or what's wrong with me?? feeling. Hang in there, keep tough, same thing I keep telling myself! Mom always said you gotta crawl before you can walk. : )

Doris Phillips in New Rochelle, New York

66 months ago

Hi Michelle
I have been a biller for 13 years my old employer went under due to the economy I was hired by a well known hospital and let go 3 month later because I was to slow with my claims. To my defends I was working off a speadsheet with nothing but appeals that were time consuming but for every account I appeal we were getting payments on the way when I would call the insurence 3 weeks or so later to follow up. Needless to say now i have this sore on my resume. What is the best way to explaine this in a interview?
PS: Now that I am not working i decided to go back to local Community College and take the Coding Certificate Course in the evenings.

Burnett Billing Service in Livingston, Texas

65 months ago

how do you join the professional medical billers assoc?

plshrk1 in Lockwood, New York

65 months ago

Does anyone know of any legit companies out there that you can work for from home as a medical biller? I heard about www.tmghealth.com and applied - go to about us and then see the link, they are legit, people that live in my area of upper state NY work for them and maked decent money. I believe its like piece work but I applied both online and send my resume and it did not get any results and I did not receive any calls - hmmm, I wonder if I will ever find a medical billing position before having to pay for my AAPC membership in December for the 3rd year in a row. I desperately want to do this kind of work and hold a CPC certification, does anyone know of any place to hook up with? I live in Lockwood, NY. I will have to start at entry level but I want to get the experience and the benefits are nice but they are not what is driving me to not give up yet, it is the fact that I spent time getting a 2 year degree and money, passing the CPC exam and thought NOW I am marketable... I just dont know! Any advice from any of you seasoned employees?

sackmanlisa@yahoo.com in Saddle Brook, New Jersey

64 months ago

Monica in Wilmington, Delaware said: I am currently attending Harris Business School for medical Billing and Coding. I was online reading different blogs and came across (yours which is below) and most of the blogs say they paid the money got the training and the certificate but can't find a job. I live in Delaware and I was just wondering is it really that hard to find a job? I have been working in the Emergency Department for 6 yrs as a clerk/ registration clerk (that is where we verify ins and address and demo info. Please tell me if in your opinion am I wasting my $11k

Thanks
Monica Johnson

– Aristotle

The 1500-claim form seems so self explanatory why do the teachers make like it is so difficult am I missing something that I don't realize about it? Why is it so important that it is so perfectly correct? Please tell me.

w
oes

niknak in rantoul, Illinois

63 months ago

i've been a certified medical biller for 2 months now and still haven't found a job. i need help finding a job in central illinois.

Diane Gates in Victorville, California

63 months ago

I refined my searches to "hands on", so I coulf find AND "pick the brains" of the PRO's like you. I am early retired with 22yrs in the field of Occupatinal Therapy, 61+ Colloge units,eligible for two associates (in two semesters), expert in varies aspects of medical docuentation, ICD9, CPT.., Medicare claims++, EMR..Upgraded my home PC (NICE!SECURE!FAST) Yeah!. My handsome husband is a cardiac patient we care for here, at home and don't plan on missing a minute with (his nickname is Lazarus). Done my homework/research. In the hands of an expert I have the time & rapid study skills to get the billling done. Do you have any suggestions, referrals, reccommendations for me?....D Gates

motoboy in Clinton, Massachusetts

63 months ago

janelle, you must be the same Janelle that worked with my dad in waltham at the FORD store. My mom had panic attacks to but for other reasons. GOOD LUCK with your job search and a little hint dont call the married guys you work with on their cell phones especially the ones with children at home, it just is so not right!

Lisa in Mission Viejo, California

63 months ago

Janelle Thibodeau in Waltham, Massachusetts said: is it accredited?

Yes, it is nationally accredited.

tka in Topeka, Kansas

61 months ago

Lori D in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania said: I also own a billing service, and teach Medical Billing & Coding at a local business school, as well as Medisoft. You don't need experience to get in a doc's office, but you DO need it if you want to start right in billing. NO ONE, and I mean NO ONE is going to turn any part of the cash flow over to someone with no training or experience. Front desk is a great way to learn a bit, and to learn some billing software, but those front desk people who go the extra mile to learn more about billing & coding (from a certified business school), AND about billing software will move into billing much, much faster than those who do not. Feel free to email me:InfoLori@enter.net or www.DonnellyBenefits.net

I am currently attending a school, where I feel like Im not getting the correct information when it comes to medical B&C. Ive heard alot of people say that you really dont need certification to preform the job. my question is this is there a certain textbook that would help me as an extra study guide so that I can pass my 5hr. test with a breeze

munroe in Providence, Rhode Island

61 months ago

tka in Topeka, Kansas said: I am currently attending a school, where I feel like Im not getting the correct information when it comes to medical B&C. Ive heard alot of people say that you really dont need certification to preform the job. my question is this is there a certain textbook that would help me as an extra study guide so that I can pass my 5hr. test with a breeze

Lori---finally someone who is honest....there are NO enty level billing jobs---you said everything perfectly and honestly!

tka in Topeka, Kansas

61 months ago

Im currently going to WTI where my teacher dosent have her certification, but is allowed to teach us, but she does have a back ground in medical health tech. whose to say really all I know for sure is that Im going to be stuck paying back funds for an education that I feel isnt doing me justice. So Im asking for anyones help that has already taken the 5hr. B&C test, to please give me some info. as far as books that will be helpful in using to study.So please please if you know of a book that may help.email me back.

tka in Topeka, Kansas

61 months ago

my school is not suppling the test, but we will be able to take it there. My problem is that the majority of my test have not been great so I am extremely worried that Ill flunk this 5hr test. I was wondering if there is a pre exam that I could take that would refresh my memory or just give me a chance to practice so ill know where my trouble spots. then I can put my time into study that part. If anyone happens to know a book that would help me. I would apreciate it.

BDR in San Antonio, Texas

59 months ago

plshrk1 in Lockwood, New York said: Hello,
I would just like to know if it is pure luck or being in the right place at the right time to be lucky enough to get your foot in the door. After earning my 2 yr degree and becoming a CPC through AAPC and being a member 2nd year now and still no position with regards to my degree. I am working and thankful for that but my passion was to work from home someday after a few years of experience and being able to move to NC and find a decent job. My husband is 54 so he is 10 years older than I am and I was preparing for my future and after 10 years I thought, jeez I can owrk from home someday. I just want to get into a billing position where I could learn and grow and become very good at it. Any suggestions? Thanks so much in advance. I have been discouraged since last year.

I can relate to "plshrk1" I am finishing up with my two year degree in Health Information Technology from a local community college. I've been in the medical field for approximately 25 yrs, not in the HIM department but in the hospital setting. I do have medical background but Coding experience. I am planning to take the exam soon, instructors I would like to know what I can do to get a coding job once I'm an RHIT? Like the other students said, employers will not hire without experience, I work in a hospital and the HIM department isn't willing to cross train. They want someone with experience. I went into this field hoping that I would be able to work from home in the near future. I'm feeling doubtful after reading all the other posts. Please reply. Thanks.

BDR in San Antonio, Texas

59 months ago

BDR in San Antonio, Texas said: I can relate to "plshrk1" I am finishing up with my two year degree in Health Information Technology from a local community college. I've been in the medical field for approximately 25 yrs, not in the HIM department but in the hospital setting. I do have medical background but NO Coding experience. I am planning to take the exam soon, instructors I would like to know what I can do to get a coding job once I'm an RHIT? Like the other students said, employers will not hire without experience, I work in a hospital and the HIM department isn't willing to cross train. They want someone with experience. I went into this field hoping that I would be able to work from home in the near future. I'm feeling doubtful after reading all the other posts. Please reply. Thanks.

Please note that on above comment I stated "I do have medical background but coding experience." It should have said " but no coding experience" sorry.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.