Medical Billing and Coding I will graduate on 7/17/09

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 390)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

kalika in Garden Grove, California

67 months ago

Michael Career Training in Los Angeles, California said: We can help you get Government funding through the WIA program. They have a TAA program for displaced workers and will foot the bill for whatever the grants wont cover.
Half of our students are displaced workers.

Everest, Concord, UEI ETC. have a generic version of what you need to know. There is no Certification Review and their Job-Placement is suspect. Everest used to be called Bryman. They received alot of negative publicity for misleading prospective students and lying about salary potential. You and your friend need to do your research and get back to me. This is a great field to be in and you will eventually be happy with your decision. Remember there are no short-cuts.

Hi, thanks for you comments,
I am in the process of getting in the WIA program through the Orange County One-Stop Center, which is an employment resource. For those of you who don't know the WIA, Workforce Investment Act, is a govt funded initiative that can provide money for training. But nothing's for sure, as my case manager at One-Stop has told me. The program's overwhelmed right now, available funds are low, this sort of thing. She calls it the "Golden Egg" if you can get it. Also, TAA, Trade Adjustment Assistance, is only for workers laid off due to increased imports from a foreign country, not just any displaced worker. My case manager says this is used rarely. I'm also talking to her about the chances of getting hired into medical coding and billing right out of training/internship, and it's extremely difficult in her experience. Employers want 2 years experience before they hand over their files to anyone. This is her job, to get people employed, and she always has a lot of trouble placing new medical coders/billers, says you would have to convince someone to hire you to work under an experienced coder, maybe part time, and this is tough.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Michael Career Training in Los Angeles, California

67 months ago

From 2006-2008, The Southbay Workforce Investment Board recoginized us as one of the top schools in Southern California. We have won awards for maintaining a 90%-100% job placement rate for our Medical Billing and Coding Program. This is due in large part to our AHIMA CCS review course that is offerd to all of our graduates. The awards are hanging in our lobby.

The WIA has a heavy workload and does not specialize in placing Medical Professionals. When they send a prospective student here, they expect us to place them. Because of our long standing partnerships and intensive training program, we often have employers who come to us. Please fel free contact me at any time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jen in Chesapeake, Virginia

67 months ago

Lia in Norfolk, Virginia said: Hi. I'm thinking about going into Medical billing and coding. Do anyone know if there is any good school in Norfolk, Virginia or Virginia beach, Virginia? Please let me know? Also, is Medical billing and coding hard? I have done some research and some people said it's easy. Some people said that it's hard. Can someone tell me? I would appreciate it a lot. The fact that I have been out of college for one year and so I am scare if I can make it through if I go back to school.

You may want to consider TCC AAS degree in Health Information Technology. You will learn coding as be eligble for the RHIT exam.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lia in Norfolk, Virginia

67 months ago

Hi Jen,

Thank you...are you doing that right now too?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

krugirl007 in Macon, Georgia

67 months ago

I took my training online through Ed2go.com with UT-Martin and my instructor told me that I would have to wait TWO YEARS B 4 going for the CPC exam. I have to work as an Extern until I go for the Exam.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Kelly - student in Georgia

67 months ago

krugirl007 in Macon, Georgia said: I took my training online through Ed2go.com with UT-Martin and my instructor told me that I would have to wait TWO YEARS B 4 going for the CPC exam. I have to work as an Extern until I go for the Exam.

Hi krugirl007 in Macon. This is Kelly, just down the road in Warner Robins. Are you having any luck ? Where are you working?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

krugirl007 in Macon, Georgia

67 months ago

Kelly - student in Georgia said: Hi krugirl007 in Macon. This is Kelly, just down the road in Warner Robins. Are you having any luck ? Where are you working?

I am working still as a CNA at Plantation Suites ALF in Macon off of Zebulon Road.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Kelly - student in Georgia

67 months ago

Great, at least the CNA gives you some sort of medical experience.Have you met and spoken with any of the coders there, or are they all off site ?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Michael Career Training in Los Angeles, California

67 months ago

You don't have to wait two years.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Renee in Elk Grove, California

67 months ago

kalika in Garden Grove, California said: Hi, thanks for you comments,
I am in the process of getting in the WIA program through the Orange County One-Stop Center, which is an employment resource. For those of you who don't know the WIA, Workforce Investment Act, is a govt funded initiative that can provide money for training. But nothing's for sure, as my case manager at One-Stop has told me. The program's overwhelmed right now, available funds are low, this sort of thing. She calls it the "Golden Egg" if you can get it. Also, TAA, Trade Adjustment Assistance, is only for workers laid off due to increased imports from a foreign country, not just any displaced worker. My case manager says this is used rarely. I'm also talking to her about the chances of getting hired into medical coding and billing right out of training/internship, and it's extremely difficult in her experience. Employers want 2 years experience before they hand over their files to anyone. This is her job, to get people employed, and she always has a lot of trouble placing new medical coders/billers, says you would have to convince someone to hire you to work under an experienced coder, maybe part time, and this is tough.

Hi Michael, I'm a displaced worker and I'm going to start taking the medical insurance billing and coding program at Heald. How do I find out if I'm eligible for WIA progam?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

krugirl007 in Macon, Georgia

67 months ago

What a coencidence, I am a CNA while also being a CPC in waiting to take the CPC exam in 2011. I have to wait two years to take mine bcuz, I took training online and not in an actual classroom!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

KMays in Fort Worth, Texas

67 months ago

I am currently a student in the Medical Coding and Billing program and I am trying to find an internship in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. I am scheduled to start my internship Oct 2, 2009, but I just need to find a sponsor and I keep getting "road blocks". If anyone has any ideas please let me know!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Cindy in Zephyrhills, Florida

67 months ago

Hi y'all, glad I found this forum. I am also a recently "displaced" worker, 31 years in telecom now looking for a new job at almost 50, never in my wildest dreams would I have thought I would be in this situation. I too have been researching the Medical Coder schools in the area trying to decide if this is the path I want to take. I've looked into Everest also, but just really didn't feel that what they have to offer is going to give me the training needed for the certifications. One of the community colleges offers medical coding they seem to have 2 college credit career paths for coding OSS.MEDB and OSS.HIM there seems to be just a couple of differences in the program required courses, but I don't know which would be the preferred track to pursue I'm leaning towards the OSS.HIM program. Also, I don't want to do this schooling, and not have it turn out to be worthwhile. I totally understand that you have to plow through the road blocks for the golden ring, but, I'm no spring chicken, and need a job just not certain

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Kelly - student in Georgia

67 months ago

Hi Cindy , from Georgia here,,like you I am 50's. How soon do you need to be working and what kind of money are you expecting?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Arlene in Detroit, Michigan

67 months ago

I just have to let those of us who are older to not get discouraged about your age. I have a friend who went to her local community college, took 4 months of training, passed her certification on the second try and has now been working remote for over a year making. She actually is a chart over-viewer. She got hired just after 7 months of graduating and it would have been earlier but she got lost in shuffle when her company was in the process of moving. I am 49 yrs old and I have since decide to do the same as she. I will eventually get my business of direct care agency off the ground but in the meantime I am going to have something to fall back on. Don't give up..just think in a few years if you haven't gone after the coding that you want to do then where will you be? Good luck everyone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Arlene in Detroit, Michigan

67 months ago

Sorry but I forgot to mention the fact that my friend is 54 yrs old.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Kelly - student in Georgia

67 months ago

Arlene in Detroit,,, wow great news for your friend, but I feel like I am missing something here. She studied just 4 months then passed her certificate, and on top of that has a remote position?
Did she get a CPC-A or CCS or RHIT? Did she have previous hospital or medical experience? Is she making any money? I just feel like I an missing something here,,,,

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Cindy in Zephyrhills, Florida

67 months ago

Kelly - student in Georgia said: Hi Cindy , from Georgia here,,like you I am 50's. How soon do you need to be working and what kind of money are you expecting?

Hi Kelly, I would like to be working within 6-8 months, and money in the neighborhood of 25k to 30k, not certain if either of those are realistic goals.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Kelly - student in Georgia

67 months ago

Cindy in Zephyrhills, Florida said: Hi Kelly, I would like to be working within 6-8 months, and money in the neighborhood of 25k to 30k, not certain if either of those are realistic goals.

Cindy in Florida,, I share your feelings and thoughts. I am older, 56, but like you, I never ever dreamed I would be in this position.
I am no expert, only a student, but one who has done a lot of study here. As far as education, at a college, the buzz word seems to be study HIT for two year associate degree,, or HIM for four yr degree. Both involve some coding, but also many other areas in management. I would be the last person on earth to tell you what you can and can not achieve in a short amount of time. Trust me, I have heard of everything in the world from people in this field.
But several realistic factors include: One or two years of study, you also need to know the right people at the right time. Do not be mislead like I was, this is NOT a field with a hot demand. Totally untrue. Very, very difficult to get in , and again, if you don't know the right people,,,,,,,,, The money appears to be there, but it takes years and years, and years of experience and contiuned study all along the way.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

medicalcoderstudent in Middletown, Ohio

67 months ago

This seems to be a field, though pretty much like all medical fields where you need experience. It seems the best thing to do is to try and work or volunteer or both while your in school. Then when your done with your schooling you have experience. It also depends on where you live. In my area there are tons of jobs available but in other area's there may be 1 job in a 50 mile radius.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Arlene in Detroit, Michigan

67 months ago

Kelly - student in Georgia said: Arlene in Detroit,,, wow great news for your friend, but I feel like I am missing something here. She studied just 4 months then passed her certificate, and on top of that has a remote position?
Did she get a CPC-A or CCS or RHIT? Did she have previous hospital or medical experience? Is she making any money? I just feel like I an missing something here,,,,

Hi Kelly...she is a CPC-A and makes $18.00/hr..the only medical experience she had was short term volunteer EMT way back when...when shortly after she graduated she did field work for about 2 months then she went remote. Now, when she goes shopping for work clothes she heads to the pajama department!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

kalika in Garden Grove, California

67 months ago

Cindy in Zephyrhills, Florida said: Hi y'all, glad I found this forum. I am also a recently "displaced" worker, 31 years in telecom now looking for a new job at almost 50, never in my wildest dreams would I have thought I would be in this situation. I too have been researching the Medical Coder schools in the area trying to decide if this is the path I want to take. I've looked into Everest also, but just really didn't feel that what they have to offer is going to give me the training needed for the certifications. One of the community colleges offers medical coding they seem to have 2 college credit career paths for coding OSS.MEDB and OSS.HIM there seems to be just a couple of differences in the program required courses, but I don't know which would be the preferred track to pursue I'm leaning towards the OSS.HIM program. Also, I don't want to do this schooling, and not have it turn out to be worthwhile. I totally understand that you have to plow through the road blocks for the golden ring, but, I'm no spring chicken, and need a job just not certain

Hi Cindy, seems like there's a lot of us in the same boat...50-somethings who find themselves in need of a new career (how the heck did we end up here, right?) but is coding the right choice? I, too, don't want to go through school and then still can't find a job. We're of the age where we are used to a certain standard of living and it seems like medical coding will provide that, a secure future. I'm uncertain too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Cindy in Zephyrhills, Florida

67 months ago

kalika in Garden Grove, California said: Hi Cindy, seems like there's a lot of us in the same boat...50-somethings who find themselves in need of a new career (how the heck did we end up here, right?) but is coding the right choice? I, too, don't want to go through school and then still can't find a job. We're of the age where we are used to a certain standard of living and it seems like medical coding will provide that, a secure future. I'm uncertain too.

Hi Kalika, you summed it all up, go through school and still not find employment. I just wonder, if all of the advertisement for the medical billing/coding program, if there really is such a large demand for this type of work, or if its just the new "buzz" word. And your right, NEVER thought I would be at this type of cross roads at this point in my life. From what I've researched about the position, I do think its the type of work I would like to do. I've looked into jobs advertised at the local hospitals, for secretaries and other admin positions, and most of them seem to want people with medical terminology background and some want coding.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Cindy in Zephyrhills, Florida

67 months ago

Kelly - student in Georgia said: Cindy in Florida,, I share your feelings and thoughts. I am older, 56, but like you, I never ever dreamed I would be in this position.
I am no expert, only a student, but one who has done a lot of study here. As far as education, at a college, the buzz word seems to be study HIT for two year associate degree,, or HIM for four yr degree. Both involve some coding, but also many other areas in management. I would be the last person on earth to tell you what you can and can not achieve in a short amount of time. Trust me, I have heard of everything in the world from people in this field.
But several realistic factors include: One or two years of study, you also need to know the right people at the right time. Do not be mislead like I was, this is NOT a field with a hot demand. Totally untrue. Very, very difficult to get in , and again, if you don't know the right people,,,,,,,,, The money appears to be there, but it takes years and years, and years of experience and contiuned study all along the way.
Hi Kelly, how long have you been in school? And so far, do you like the training? I know you also mentiond volunteering to get a foot in the door, what type of volunteering? Doctors office? Hospital? any recommendations?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

medicalcoderstudent in Middletown, Ohio

67 months ago

Cindy in Zephyrhills, Florida said: Hi Kelly, how long have you been in school? And so far, do you like the training? I know you also mentiond volunteering to get a foot in the door, what type of volunteering? Doctors office? Hospital? any recommendations?

Try a hospital. Call them up and tell them your going to school for coding and you wanted to know if you could volunteer in the HIM/coding department. Tell them you would like some experience and want to see what the job is really like. You'll probably just staple papers but you'll get to see the work environment, meet coders and make contacts.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

medicalcoderstudent in Middletown, Ohio

67 months ago

Cindy in Zephyrhills, Florida said: Hi Kalika, you summed it all up, go through school and still not find employment. I just wonder, if all of the advertisement for the medical billing/coding program, if there really is such a large demand for this type of work, or if its just the new "buzz" word. And your right, NEVER thought I would be at this type of cross roads at this point in my life. From what I've researched about the position, I do think its the type of work I would like to do. I've looked into jobs advertised at the local hospitals, for secretaries and other admin positions, and most of them seem to want people with medical terminology background and some want coding.

I think its in demand but it just depends on where you live. In my area there are a ton of jobs but its not like that in other states. Really research your area.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kelly - student in Georgia

67 months ago

Hi gang, hope everyone is hanging in there. I am currently still in my first pre-course of study going through the AAPC, Medical Terminology. After that I must take Anatomy and Physiology before starting any coding classes. I have not opened a book now in over two weeks. I am also in my 50's and after several chapters I began to say to myself, wait a minute,, I have to know all this stuff and it only gets more difficult. I began looking into entry level positions to get in the door, and began running into all these brick walls .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Kelly - student in Georgia

67 months ago

How do I like the training? Hummm,, good question. Being new to this field, I am amazed at how much these people are required to know, especially for the pay. That is what raised my attention. Do not be misled, good coders are very, very educated people. I get a magazine from AAPC every month. Most of it is so far over my head I do not even read it, because I don't understsand it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Kelly - student in Georgia

67 months ago

Getting my foot in the door, I have not done yet. Several issues. The subject of "demand in this field" comes up. Cindy in Florida, you and I are in a totally different world than our friends in California, Ohio, Michigan and other areas. Why? I have no idea.
Student from Ohio has said many times, his area is wide open for jobs and demand, he is correct, it is very hot there. California is also very high in demand and Michigan also as we go forward.
In Georgia? It is not even an issue of discussion, not even mentioned, Fla is a bit better, not much. Those other areas also pay much better than the Southeast. You can easily make 10 or $12,000 more in the same position in Calif,etc,, as here. So, we can not go by what they are talking about. Student in Ohio is very correct. The field is so hot there, it is on the front page of their State Labor page, in Georgia,,,,, it is not even mentioned, Florida either.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Kelly - student in Georgia

67 months ago

The Lady from the Bronx makes a good point. Soooo many people in this state have jumped into this field, we have way tooo many coders for jobs. Every Mary, Sue and Sally who has lost a position seems to have jumped in the field because of false hype from so many sources. The field is so cold here, it is very obvious local HR depts at hospitals have been beat to death with it, and they don't even want to talk to you at all, and if people are just sending resumes to them, I know they are going straight in the trash. Other state wide companies have also been just beat to death with coding apps, very obvious,, I can't get anyone to even talk to me about the field, nothing no help at all about degree, CPC or CCS, RHIT, just nothing. But again, this is my area, not Ohio or California or Michigan.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Kelly - student in Georgia

67 months ago

As far as approching Dr's offices, I have not done that yet. I was born, but I was not born yesterday. Again, I am a man. Now, all of you out there know good and well that private practice Dr's and office managers do not hire men in starting position to sit at the front desk, answer phone, meet patients, etc,,,. You all know that.
That is where we have to start in a Dr's office.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

kalika in Garden Grove, California

67 months ago

Cindy in Zephyrhills, Florida said: Hi Kalika, you summed it all up, go through school and still not find employment. I just wonder, if all of the advertisement for the medical billing/coding program, if there really is such a large demand for this type of work, or if its just the new "buzz" word. And your right, NEVER thought I would be at this type of cross roads at this point in my life. From what I've researched about the position, I do think its the type of work I would like to do. I've looked into jobs advertised at the local hospitals, for secretaries and other admin positions, and most of them seem to want people with medical terminology background and some want coding.

Hi Cindy, I know, the last thing I want to do is get involved with something that's just the "flavor of the month" . I know it's a real profession, like Kelly says, you must be very highly trained. I don't know why there are all these ads for medical billing/coding schools, makes me suspicious too. I also agree that how hot this profession is depends on where you live. The healthcare industry in general is growing here in SoCal, medical billing/coding pays better than a lot of healthcare jobs. I also like it because you can train for it in a relatively shorter amount of time, and it sounds like interesting work.
Here's a website that's good for researching careers: www.onetcenter.org (Occupational Information Network)
Enter medical coding/billing in the quicksearch box and click on Medical Records and Health Information Technicians, coders are under that. It will tell you all kinds of information about this profession, including wages and employment trends, nationally and by state.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

kalika in Garden Grove, California

67 months ago

kalika in Garden Grove, California said: Hi Cindy, I know, the last thing I want to do is get involved with something that's just the "flavor of the month" . I know it's a real profession, like Kelly says, you must be very highly trained. I don't know why there are all these ads for medical billing/coding schools, makes me suspicious too. I also agree that how hot this profession is depends on where you live. The healthcare industry in general is growing here in SoCal, medical billing/coding pays better than a lot of healthcare jobs. I also like it because you can train for it in a relatively shorter amount of time, and it sounds like interesting work.
Here's a website that's good for researching careers: www.onetcenter.org (Occupational Information Network)
Enter medical coding/billing in the quicksearch box and click on Medical Records and Health Information Technicians, coders are under that. It will tell you all kinds of information about this profession, including wages and employment trends, nationally and by state.

Oops, sorry its www.online.onetcenter.org

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kelly - student in Georgia

67 months ago

Hi... Kelly here. If you two have not already been there,, let me suggest you check out another discussion on this field, in a different forum also here on Indeed. The forum is "entry level positions in coding". I have been on there several weeks (since page 44) and learned quite a lot. But today,, two coders, one is an outpatient and one is an inpatient,, Stacy and Annie 21. They are both very positive girls,, but they share a normal day in the life of a coder. You will probably be surprised. Hundreds of medical charts to read and code every day. Pressure, stress, you are timed and have quotas to meet. Go to the forum, go to the last page of comments and begin going back. Tons of REAL info on people trying to find a job in billing and coding.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jen in Chesapeake, Virginia

67 months ago

Lia in Norfolk, Virginia said: Hi Jen,

Thank you...are you doing that right now too?

I actually graduated in MAY. However, with no medical office experience I have been told I am not qualified for any positions in coding or medical records. Still TCC is the only school in the area that is acredited.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jen in Chesapeake, Virginia

67 months ago

Jen in Chesapeake, Virginia said: I actually graduated in MAY. However, with no medical office experience I have been told I am not qualified for any positions in coding or medical records. Still TCC is the only school in the area that is acredited.

Sorry, I mean accredited.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

pdtruck in Lebanon, Pennsylvania

67 months ago

I went on an interview for a billing position with no experience. I sent a thank you letter for the interview and offered to work for them for 30 days for free. If they liked my perfor4mance, then put me on your pay roll day 31.

They offered me a temporary position, doing some billing. I thank the Lord for getting my foot in the door. Now I pray that I will be hired as one of their billers.

I had some money coming in, so I had nothing to loose.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Cindy in Wesley Chapel, Florida

67 months ago

pdtruck in Lebanon, Pennsylvania said: I went on an interview for a billing position with no experience. I sent a thank you letter for the interview and offered to work for them for 30 days for free. If they liked my perfor4mance, then put me on your pay roll day 31.

They offered me a temporary position, doing some billing. I thank the Lord for getting my foot in the door. Now I pray that I will be hired as one of their billers.

I had some money coming in, so I had nothing to loose.

Congratulations! you mentioned you don't have any experience, do you have certifications?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Cindy in Wesley Chapel, Florida

67 months ago

Kelly - student in Georgia said: Hi... Kelly here. If you two have not already been there,, let me suggest you check out another discussion on this field, in a different forum also here on Indeed. The forum is "entry level positions in coding". I have been on there several weeks (since page 44) and learned quite a lot. But today,, two coders, one is an outpatient and one is an inpatient,, Stacy and Annie 21. They are both very positive girls,, but they share a normal day in the life of a coder. You will probably be surprised. Hundreds of medical charts to read and code every day. Pressure, stress, you are timed and have quotas to meet. Go to the forum, go to the last page of comments and begin going back. Tons of REAL info on people trying to find a job in billing and coding.

Hi Kelly, thanks for referring this location, I have been reading the post, and found it very informative. Are you taking your courses online or in classroom setting? Just wondering, one of our local community colleges offers online for billing/coding, and just wanted to get your thoughts since you are in the training. I have been thinking of taking basic medical terminology online, I have seen some administrative positions advertised that are looking for "some basic medical terminology" just wondering if I had the "language" if perhaps that would be a foot in the door.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Kelly - student in Georgia

67 months ago

HI Cindy ,,, Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, I was not getting my updates for some reason. I am taking Medical Terminology and Anatomy and Physiology online through the AAPC right now. Are you the same Cindy who said she was almost 50 ?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

rakesh in Ahmadabad, India

66 months ago

www.medicalcodingexperts.com for 100% job oriented training.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jen1 in Chesapeake, Virginia

66 months ago

Jen in Chesapeake, Virginia said: You may want to consider TCC AAS degree in Health Information Technology. You will learn coding as be eligble for the RHIT exam.

Hi. I just completed the online Medical Billing and Course offered at Norfolk State University. You can take the course in the classroom or online. You will receive a certificate of completion when your are done with the course. Then you have to register to take the National Exam to become a Certified Coding Associate. I took the course online. If you chose the online option, you will have up to 6 months to complete and request and extension at no additional cost, if needed. But I finished the course in 3 months.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Teri in Thousand Oaks, California

66 months ago

I am also looking into the medical billing/coding field. After reading through most of these posts it seem very crucial to choose the right school with the best training. I had considered taking courses at a local adult school, however, it seems like I need to consider so much more before making a decision on a school. Like many others, I do not currently hold a degree. I worked in customer service for 15+ years, so this would definitely be new to me. I have no problem with the time it takes to get trained and prepared for this job field, however, I'm not sure where to start looking for information on where to start. Any advise?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Teri in Thousand Oaks, California

66 months ago

Oops,advice :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Michael Career Training in Los Angeles, California

66 months ago

Teri in Thousand Oaks, California said: Oops,advice :)

Make sure whatever school you attend offers the Certification Review course. Also, look at price relative to the financial support they offer. If they don't have job placement, dont go.

Email me at: mike@sticcc.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Teri in Thousand Oaks, California

66 months ago

Michael Career Training in Los Angeles, California said: Make sure whatever school you attend offers the Certification Review course. Also, look at price relative to the financial support they offer. If they don't have job placement, dont go.

Email me at: mike@sticcc.com

Thank you, Mike. I really appreciate the information and guidance! Thank you for your email address. I hope you don't mind if I email you with additional questions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

MimiT in New Freedom, Pennsylvania

66 months ago

Hi. I am seriously considering attending a local business school for medical billing/coding. I am older. It is time for a serious change in career. Are there many places that would hire? Are there benefits available? I have been searching out the medical billing/coding industry on-line and find that a lot of people work from home. Is this a trend, in that places would rather outsource to home-based businesses? Or, are jobs available in hospitals, etc? Has this industry been hard-hit because of the recession/job layoffs, etc?

How much telephone use if involved with this type of work? In other words, it's not just sitting at a computer all day and entering 'code' - or is it? What else does this type of work involve? I am really curious. Can anyone offer any advice to a real 'newbie' with this? I would greatly appreciate hearing from anyone who is currently in the field doing such work. Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

MimiT in New Freedom, Pennsylvania

66 months ago

Hi Again.

Another question I have about this career and schooling. If attending a full-time, 8-month course, how much homework is involved? Does this require a lot of after-hours of study? It's been many years since I attended school full-time so it's like it will be a new experience for me. Any advice?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Kelly - student in Georgia

66 months ago

Hi MimiT in Penn,,, like you I am older (56) and considering a change. My first impression from your comments is that like thousands of us, you might have been mislead about this field. Are you aware that this field is not something involving some courses and jumping in,,,, it is a field that requires many years of very intense study and years of experience before anyone will even consider you. Years of study, possibly even going bavk to college for several years. Are you aware ?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

MimiT in New Freedom, Pennsylvania

66 months ago

Hi Kelly.

This is what I want to find out about. I am considering going back to school for this. I know that it will take some time. I am not one to jump into anything at this stage of my life. Have you decided on any schools yet? Any experience at all in this field?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.