Medical Billing/Coding

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 90)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Gloria in Meridian, Mississippi

86 months ago

I just finished my course of Medical Billing/Coding from PCDI and I'm trying to find a way to do it from home online. What do I need to do?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (75) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

Crisan Otilia in Vancouver, Washington

85 months ago

I finished my course of Medical Billing/Coding from Pioneer Pacific College and I'm trying to find a job in area Vancouver WA,and Portland OR, but didn't find yet. If is possible help me to get a job from home online, I will be happy. What do I need to do?

Thank you so much for your help.

Sincerely,

Otilia

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Lori in Jamaica, New York

85 months ago

Being a home based medical billing business owner I get calls everyday asking this same question. In the past there were only generalized books/resources about this topic so people didn’t get the entire story about getting this business started properly. On top of that most of the authors of these books and resources hadn’t even run a medical billing business themselves but put the information together from interviewing medical billing business owners and what they found in the public domain.

Now there is nothing wrong with that but when I started my medical billing business I wanted up-to-date information and I wanted it from people that were actively in the business I was getting into so that they could mentor me beyond what I read in their books but that didn’t happen.

After years of mentoring people get the proper start they needed to get their business up and running I read all of the books on the market that addressed this topic. As of August 2007 I can only professionally recommend the following 2 books to anyone that’s looking to start a home based medical billing business. These books put all the aspects of this industry on table, they are very easy to read and the use of current examples make it very simple for the reader to put the information into action. Do yourself a favor and don’t do anything connected to the medical billing from home industry until you read at lest one of the resources first:

medicalbillingbook.tripod.com - Medical Billing Book: Homebased Medical Billing Start Up Guide

urlfreeze.com/medbill/L-312b/ - How To JumpSart A Successful Medical Billing Service

Lori

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jake Smith in Bangor, Maine

83 months ago

I have been looking all over for a cpt billing code resource website. i found a free one at cptbillingcodes.com but I am wondering if there are any others that people know of that are free and good? I am currently working for a cytometry service company.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Liz in Abilene, Texas

82 months ago

Jake Smith in Bangor, Maine said: I have been looking all over for a cpt billing code resource website. i found a free one at cptbillingcodes.com but I am wondering if there are any others that people know of that are free and good? I am currently working for a cytometry service company.[/QUOTE

You need CPT codes?? just buy the CPT code book!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Otilia Crisan in Portland, Oregon

82 months ago

I am looking for Medical Billing and Coding job from january 2007, but I didn't find yet.
Maybe I could find cashier in the future.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Doris Johnson in Greenville, North Carolina

81 months ago

I am currently enrolled in an online course for medical coding and billing. I was just looking at my future options on this profession. I have made the decision that I would like to run a homebased business in this profession once I graduated. I am doing all of my research now. So any tips that anyone might have on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,
Doris

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Otilia Crisan in Portland, Oregon

81 months ago

Doris Johnson in Greenville, North Carolina said: I am currently enrolled in an online course for medical coding and billing. I was just looking at my future options on this profession. I have made the decision that I would like to run a homebased business in this profession once I graduated. I am doing all of my research now. So any tips that anyone might have on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,
Doris

Good luck!

Is very difficult to find job in medical billing field without experience.

God blss you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ginene in Baltimore, Maryland

81 months ago

It is really hard to do medical billing from home because finding a job is rare. They do have some coding jobs. You should check the wahm forum under coding. Here is the link www.wahm.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=143

Most coding jobs do require at least 2 years experience though.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Victoria Javius in Dickson, Tennessee

73 months ago

I'VE GRADUATED 2 YEARS AGO AN HAVEN'T GOT A JOB YET. I'M VERY DISCOURAGED. HOW DO YOU GET YOUR FOOT IN THE DOOR

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No Reply - Report abuse

Art in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

73 months ago

Do you have a college degree to help as well?

Regards,
www.selfhelpgrowing.com/articles.htm

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Victoria Javius in Dickson, Tennessee

73 months ago

I HAVE A DIPLOMA FROM A JR. COLLEGE

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Salena in Biloxi, Mississippi

73 months ago

I just went to school for Transcription... But know that I'm finally finished with that I would like to go for Medical Billing and Coding.... What is the best code books to buy???? During my Hybrid coding class my teacher had a huge code book...but i can't think of it....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Salena in Biloxi, Mississippi

73 months ago

Thanks.... I'm trying to go and get my books before classes start.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Michelle Rimmer,CHI,CBCS in Brick, New Jersey

73 months ago

You're welcome! Just be careful--make sure you get the correct ones the instructor will be using for class!! :-)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Gloria Thomas in Syracuse, New York

73 months ago

Gloria in Meridian, Mississippi said: I just finished my course of Medical Billing/Coding from PCDI and I'm trying to find a way to do it from home online. What do I need to do?

Gloria in Syracuse, NY I have the same problem that you have. I graduated from school the last of April, and cant'find a job. So I think working from home would be great if it paid well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

marisa in Virginia Beach, Virginia

73 months ago

Gloria Thomas in Syracuse, New York said: Gloria in Syracuse, NY I have the same problem that you have. I graduated from school the last of April, and cant'find a job. So I think working from home would be great if it paid well.

I am also having the same problem, I graduated almost a year ago, I found a job as a receptionist at a doctors office, but I got laid off after only three months and now I would really like to do billing or coding from home, but it is so hard because of all of the scams out there. If you find something, please let me know, I will do the same for everyone else going through this. Thanks:)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Louise Wallace in Covington, Georgia

72 months ago

I am currently enrolled in an online course for medical billing and coding. I would like to at least get an internship somewhere so I can get on the job experience. I don't know how I could go about doing this. Can anyone help me figure it out? Thank you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

BILLING BANDIT in Atlanta, Georgia

72 months ago

Gloria in Meridian, Mississippi said: I just finished my course of Medical Billing/Coding from PCDI and I'm trying to find a way to do it from home online. What do I need to do?

Hi Gloria,

Did you take your certification ?? If not you need to do so.
No body is going to hire you to be a coder or biller right off school unless you are certified.
I took the same class you did and I was blessed to get a job right after taking my course NOT as a biller nor coder but as a medical collector. Gotta get your feet wet somehow right?
That was almost 4 years ago when I started, and last year I was promoted to the Central Billing department. That's why I encourage you to take you certification so you'll get up the ladder quicker if u are certified. And once you are certified and been doing billing and coding for about 5-7 years than you can do it from home. My Director has been in the business for 15 years and he is just now getting to start his own billing service from home... It may not take a while to be a good biller and coder but it sure it take a long time to be a CREDIBLE biller and coder.

Good luck and God Bless

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Michelle Rimmer, CHI in Brick, New Jersey

72 months ago

oops--'your' wife.....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Precision Medical Billing in Cape Coral, Florida

72 months ago

Michelle,

I was looking at pmbausa.com website. I was thinking about joining the association. Can you tell me more about the benefits about becoming a member other than what the website is stating. Could we use the membership logo on our website or business cards? Thank you.

Kathy
Owner of Precision Medical Billing Services

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Precision Medical Billing in Cape Coral, Florida

72 months ago

Ok, Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Stacey in Houston, Texas

72 months ago

I really need advice on which way to go. I went through a medical billing/ coding program about four years ago. I was unable to find a billing/ coding job, so I took a job as patient registrar in a hospital hoping to get experience later. Well I haven't been in the medical field for a while now, but would really like to get back in. My hope was to eventually start a business at home or work from home. What is the best way for me to get some experience on a part-time basis ( I work elsewhere full-time)? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Yolanda in Conyers, Georgia

72 months ago

Lori in Jamaica, New York said: Being a home based medical billing business owner I get calls everyday asking this same question. In the past there were only generalized books/resources about this topic so people didn’t get the entire story about getting this business started properly. On top of that most of the authors of these books and resources hadn’t even run a medical billing business themselves but put the information together from interviewing medical billing business owners and what they found in the public domain.

Now there is nothing wrong with that but when I started my medical billing business I wanted up-to-date information and I wanted it from people that were actively in the business I was getting into so that they could mentor me beyond what I read in their books but that didn’t happen.

After years of mentoring people get the proper start they needed to get their business up and running I read all of the books on the market that addressed this topic. As of August 2007 I can only professionally recommend the following 2 books to anyone that’s looking to start a home based medical billing business. These books put all the aspects of this industry on table, they are very easy to read and the use of current examples make it very simple for the reader to put the information into action. Do yourself a favor and don’t do anything connected to the medical billing from home industry until you read at lest one of the resources first:

medicalbillingbook.tripod.com - Medical Billing Book: Homebased Medical Billing Start Up Guide

medicalbillingbook.tripod.com - How To JumpSart A Successful Medical Billing Service

Lori

I have fiftenn years of medical billing and coding experience, ther hardest part of starting your own medical business is finding a physician. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Cyndee Weston in Sulphur, Oklahoma

72 months ago

I see a lot of people talking about how hard it is to get a client or that they want to work from home. If you haven't done billing in a long time, you really need to take a refresher course or join an association. Preferrably, you would join one that has been in business for a while, not a few months. A reputable association will provide you with a great deal of information, free files, mentorship, discounts to industry related products and services, a national conference, email group with experienced billers, and so much more than just a member listing with no contact info and a discount on their certification exam...

You will need experience and if you can't get first hand experience, you really should consider getting certified, again, through a reputable association, not one that's only been in business for 4-5 months. Check the association's better business bureau report.

Getting clients is difficult, so you must be up-to-date on all the regulations for fraud and abuse detection and prevention, HIPAA, and etc. You must be able to demonstrate your knowledge to a physician or they won't even consider turning their business over to you.

You don't have to buy a thing from us to learn about billing. We'll talk over the phone with you and we do have a lot of information that you can obtain simply by visiting our website at www.ambanet.net/AMBA.htm. We are member of the BBB and have been for years. We have great resources for our members that include networking opportunities with seasoned billers. We have thousands of archived posts where people have asked questions and members have answered them on our private email group. We have our 8th annual conference coming up in Las Vegas with a tremendous lineup for new and seasoned billers. www.ambanet.net/2008.htm

The one thing I would caution everyone on is that you should be sure you want to invest the time and resources in this before you buy anything. It's not a cakewalk. But it can be done with dedicatio

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Maria in Austin, Texas

71 months ago

I'm looking into taking Medical claims and billing specialists course online with US Career Institute. I have also read other University Schools that offer this course as an associate degree program and above. When it comes to starting a career on this field do I need to go towards a degree program or certification will do the same?

Thank you, I appreciate any advice!

Maria

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mrs Teacher

71 months ago

Look into vocational education centers or community colleges. The private college will charge you $10,000+ and the certificate will be worth nothing. The public schools are monitered and accredited. Also they probably have a better reputation then the high cost schools and offer real credits to real universities. A public course in medical billing and coding should cost around $3000 for a 1000 hour course. Also offer college credits toward an AS,AA or BA.

At least look at the public options (many are online classes)before making a decision.

Other posters are correct. You must get your CCS or CPC to be a coder. Billing doesnt requiring a certification (not that I have seen yet) however being able to talk modifiers, Medicare and Medicaid requirements can get you the job. Check out the CMS website

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Cyndeew in Sulphur, Oklahoma

71 months ago

US Career Institute is DETC accredited, however, I can tell you that their students don't usually posess enough knowledge to pass our CMRS exam. www.ambanet.net/cmrs.htm

Certification or a certificate of completion of a billing course is often enough to work in a provider's office or work from home. I think you have to decide what your end result needs to be and what's best for you in the long run. Programs that cost $5-15K are often not as good as what you might learn from a membership to a good association like AMBA and a good online program.

Whatever you choose, be sure to investigate and try to talk with past students.

Good luck.

Cyndee Weston
AMBA
www.ambanet.net/AMBA.htm

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Maria in Austin, Texas

71 months ago

Thanks Michelle! I appreciate your advice...I didn't think there was much a difference as far as starting this career! I will check out your sites!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Maria in Austin, Texas

71 months ago

Thanks ya'll for all the advice! I truly appreciate it. I am now looking into taking the course with Allied Medical Schools instead of U.S. Career Institute. Not only they are accredited, but also I can be eligible for a 100% tuition free since I am a military spouse. Husband is active duty and currently deployed to Germany.

Thanks again...I am looking forward to start this career!

Maria

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Linda Walker in Plattsburgh, New York

71 months ago

Sorry, I meant to say: Michelle, I'm no Patsy.. Just because I might support an organization does not mean I support EVERYTHING the organization does

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Linda Walker in Plattsburgh, New York

71 months ago

Michelle Rimmer,CHI in Brick, New Jersey said: FYI.......it stands for 'Certified Healthcare Instructor', a credential offered by the National Healthcareer Association.
www.nhanow.com

I know Michelle, I was making a point.. takes a few more key words and searches to find it. Why doesn't the NHA make available a list of names certified?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Michelle Rimmer,CHI in Brick, New Jersey

71 months ago

You'll have to ask them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Linda Walker in Plattsburgh, New York

71 months ago

Way to side-step!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Cyndeew in Sulphur, Oklahoma

71 months ago

Getting back on track here, be sure to check the Better Business Bureau report of any school (or association) you intend to attend or join. www.bbb.org

If the school or association is new or has complaints, you probably do want to keep looking.

Regardless of whether you obtain credentials or not, education is paramount to obtaining a job or working from home.

Certification is a personal choice as it is not required and like Linda said, the only state that requires a billing company to register is New Jersey.

You can check to see if a company has registered by going to www.state.nj.us/njbgs/services.html Clearly, the law requires any billing company in the state of New Jersey to register.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Tammy Harlan

71 months ago

I've been in this industry for about 20 years now and if I were new and wanting information, after reading all this, I would be so confused. Let's see if I can help clear up some confusion.

"Medical Billing" and "Medical Coding" are essentially 2 separate fields.. even though you will find courses that cover both. Usually the courses that cover both fall along the lines of a "Medical Office Administration" course and when combined, the course usually doesn't cover enough of either for a student to complete the course proficient in either field. The course usually also doesn't provide the student enough to pass the certification exam in order to become a certified procedural coder (CPC).

Medical Coding requires certification and includes subjects such as terminology, physiology, anatomy, etc.. and the cost for such a course averages about $3000 or more, and usually requires approximately 18 months to complete. "Medical Coding" isn't something that is condusive to beginning a home-based business. Medical Billing, on the other hand, does not require any type of certification, although education is needed and recommended, and a course is medical billing costs much less and takes much less time to complete. Medical Billing handles accounting of the medical practices patient and insurance receivables. Medical Billing IS condusive and viable in a home-based business.

When performing "medical billing from home".. you are not "getting work" or "working for others" or "employed by others." To do this from home requires that you begin a business which contracts with physicians for the purpose of handling their billing. The physician IS NOT your employer... he/she is YOUR CLIENT.

There are no "national certification examinations" for medical billing. There are no associations who provide "national certification examinations" in medical billing.. because, as I said, a "national certification exam" for medical billing simply does not exist. CONTINUED.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Cyndeew in Sulphur, Oklahoma

71 months ago

Let me clear up a couple of misconceptions.

The BBB is the oldest consumer reporting agency around. They investigate complaints sent to them whether a company is a member or not. If a company has several unresolved complaints, or several complaints, period, it indicates a problem exists with that company. We have been in business for many years and have NEVER had a complaint. We are a member of the BBB, but again, they investigate whether you are a member or not.

Medical coding does NOT in iteself require certification. There are many people that legally provide coding services that have not taken a coding certification. So to say it is required is not exactly true. It's probably a best practice for anyone providing coding services to be a certified coder, but not mandatory.

It does not take 18 months and cost $3000. It can take a weekend bootcamp and as little as $750 for the bootcamp and $200 for the exam and $120 for membership to AAPC.

HBMA does NOT represent small billers. They represent large practice management companies. They believe small billers to be "kitchen table billers" and to my knowledge, the person recommending them has never been a member of HBMA, so you have to take that advice just like the rest, under advisement, but not necessarily act on it.

As for certification -- we have had apx. 1500 people take our exam. It is not a simple one. It now has over 800 questions on it that relate to everything from Red Flag Rules to coding, HIPAA, Compliance and more.

Don't take our exam if you don't want to measure your own knowledge, don't want to add credibility to your name by showing doctors that you have to keep up continued education each year, or you don't want build confidence in yourself.

As I said, people here, including me, giving you advice are giving you their points of view. It's up to you to act on it or not.

There is one thing I think we all agree on though, and that is to do your homework.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Cyndeew in Sulphur, Oklahoma

71 months ago

And to add one more comment about it being mandatory for coding, the only mandate I am aware of requires Medicare Processors to have two certified coders on staff. That mandate is for the carrier, not the individual coder.

Cyndee Weston
AMBA
www.ambanet.net/AMBA.htm

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mandawah Jackson in Schaumburg, Illinois

70 months ago

I am interested in dong a extern/intern in atlanta. I just started school, what are some good locations to start my extern at

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

DebbieL in Sierra Vista, Arizona

70 months ago

Tammy Harlan said: I've been in this industry for about 20 years now and if I were new and wanting information, after reading all this, I would be so confused. Let's see if I can help clear up some confusion.

"Medical Billing" and "Medical Coding" are essentially 2 separate fields.. even though you will find courses that cover both. Usually the courses that cover both fall along the lines of a "Medical Office Administration" course and when combined, the course usually doesn't cover enough of either for a student to complete the course proficient in either field. The course usually also doesn't provide the student enough to pass the certification exam in order to become a certified procedural coder (CPC).

Medical Coding requires certification and includes subjects such as terminology, physiology, anatomy, etc.. and the cost for such a course averages about $3000 or more, and usually requires approximately 18 months to complete. "Medical Coding" isn't something that is condusive to beginning a home-based business. Medical Billing, on the other hand, does not require any type of certification, although education is needed and recommended, and a course is medical billing costs much less and takes much less time to complete. Medical Billing handles accounting of the medical practices patient and insurance receivables. Medical Billing IS condusive and viable in a home-based business.

When performing "medical billing from home".. you are not "getting work" or "working for others" or "employed by others." To do this from home requires that you begin a business which contracts with physicians for the purpose of handling their billing. The physician IS NOT your employer... he/she is YOUR CLIENT.

There are no "national certification examinations" for medical billing. There are no associations who provide "national certification examinations" in medical billing.. because, as I said, a "national certification exam" for medical billing simply does not exist.Ta

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Joanna G in Hendersonville, Tennessee

70 months ago

Tammy H, reading your comments was very helpful. Your comments cleared up some confusion. You are clear and concise in your explanation. I am a stay at home mom with two young children, 7 and 11. I expect to be needed at home for 6 to 10 more years. I'm not against working outside the home but would prefer to do somwthing that gives me flexibility while still meeting the needs of my children. This is why I've been looking into Medical Billing and Coding. You cleared up the fact that they are two different professions. Medical Coding interests me as Medical Billing sounds too much like running a business.

I have a couple of concerns. Maybe you can claify. I'm reading on line about people who have "graduated or finished" their courses and they are having difficulty finding a job. I would hate to go through the process only to find I can't secure employment. Also, I originally thought Medical Coding was a good "in home" job but, the more I read the more it sounds as though Medical Coding is an "in office" position. Is that right?

I have a BS degree(concentration in Business and Psychology). I worked in a corporate enviornment for 17 years before I decided to stay home. I worked in HR and had a lot of exposure.I'd like to think with good Management/Administrative experience,a certificate(showing I have the needed knowledge) and a mature, professional presentation, I would be able to get work. I know experience is important but I approached this with the optimism I would be able to get the specific area of knowledge and get a job. Would like to hear your thoughts.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Brenda in Lawrenceville, Georgia

70 months ago

I was wondering if anyone has taken the Medical Billing and Coding at Everest College in Atlanta. I am working full time (8 hrs a day) and planning on taking class at night 5 days a week from 6 to 10. Is there alot of study during the week or can I do it on weekends? Anyone with advise, it would really be appreciated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Cyndeew in Sulphur, Oklahoma

70 months ago

Joanna - coding is not something that a lot of people are able to do from home unless you are lucky enough to find a billing company or hospital or clinic where you can access patient records electronically. You don't have to go to a school, rather a class or bootcamp weekend for coding and then take the exam to become certified. Otherwise, you probably could not get a coding job.

You work as an apprentice (CPC-A) for 2 years before getting the full CPC, unless you already have 2 years of experience doing coding. It costs $120 for membership to AAPC and $225 (I think) for the exam.

Like someone said earlier, coding just isn't conducive to working at home for the most part. But, medical billing is.

We disagree with some people about certification. Although it is NOT mandatory, it really does improve knowledge and confidence along with billing skills to help obtain work. Doctors know that you must obtain CEUs each year to maintain certification, so no matter what anyone says, it does lend to credibility as well.

With your background, and some good training, you probably could find billing work through a billing company or by doing the business yourself. However, unless you are willing to put in the time to really learn billing, knowing you have to start somewhere, working upward, odds are not great that you will find work or be paid well.

Good luck to you!

Cyndee Weston
AMBA
www.ambanet.net/AMBA.htm

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Mandawah in Decatur, Georgia

70 months ago

thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Joanna G in Hendersonville, Tennessee

70 months ago

Cyndeew,
When you say: you might be able to find billing work through a billing company". What do you mean? How does that work? It sounds like a form of collections to me...which I'm not interested in at all.
Thanks for the response.

JoannaG

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Linda Walker in Plattsburgh, New York

70 months ago

Joanna,
Medical billing is not "collections" some billing companies or even in-house billing perform "soft" collections that entails sending out patient statemnets, dunning messages and maybe an occasional phone call.
I think the term "Medical Billing" tends to take away from a lot of what the profession is about. What most of us in our own businesses provide is practice management, everything from entering and submitting patient information, obtaining authorizations, benefit verifications, insurance claim submissions, patient statements, patient payment posting, insurance payment posting etc. Now there are some billing companies who provide more and some just provide claim submission only, it depends on the practice and it depends on what the goal of the business is.

One thing I would like to mention about the coding profession that was missed in this topic is the liability issue. There are liability issues with both medical billing and medical coding, however IMO the greater liability of the two can be coding. Also has mentioned, it's a harder field to break in via the "work -at-home route" because you are dealing with the full medical records and the records really should not leave the office in an ideal compliant solution. On-site coders are much more practical and efficient to the practice and in addition the liability is less.
To go back to your reference about medical billing sounding like collections, I believe it was just being pointed out to you that with your experience and desire to work at home, it might be a better fit. Before actual "collections" most billing companies will inform their clients an account is approaching collection status, the provider usually will have the account sent to collections or may ask the biller to do this, either way you wouldn't provide the actual collection services as this would require a surety bond in most states.
Hope this clears up a few things for you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Joanna G in Hendersonville, Tennessee

70 months ago

Linda Walker in Plattsburgh, New York said: Joanna,
Medical billing is not "collections" some billing companies or even in-house billing perform "soft" collections that entails sending out patient statemnets, dunning messages and maybe an occasional phone call.
I think the term "Medical Billing" tends to take away from a lot of what the profession is about. What most of us in our own businesses provide is practice management, everything from entering and submitting patient information, obtaining authorizations, benefit verifications, insurance claim submissions, patient statements, patient payment posting, insurance payment posting etc. Now there are some billing companies who provide more and some just provide claim submission only, it depends on the practice and it depends on what the goal of the business is.

One thing I would like to mention about the coding profession that was missed in this topic is the liability issue. There are liability issues with both medical billing and medical coding, however IMO the greater liability of the two can be coding. Also has mentioned, it's a harder field to break in you.[/QL

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Joanna G in Hendersonville, Tennessee

70 months ago

Linda,

Thank you. That was very helpful. Now that I understand the difference between Med. Billing and Med. Coding, I'm not sure either is a good fit for me. Med coding isn't condusive to "home business" and Med Billing sounds like more than I would want to bite off right now. I'm really looking for some basic adminsistrative work I can do at home. However, this dialogue has been very informative and I appreciate all the responses. Thank you.
Joanna

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Joanna G in Hendersonville, Tennessee

70 months ago

Linda, Thank you for the suggestion. Yes, Medical Transcription was the first area I investigated. On the face, it appears ideal for me. I've always enjoyed typing, I'm fast and accurate (70 wpm w/ low error rate). However, while I'm very physicaly fit and active and you would never know to look at me, I have a muscle in my right arm and neck that becomes highly irritated and inflamed when I sit at the computer for extended period of time. I go such long periods of time without it being a problem and then I'll work at the computer for a couple hours and it rears it's ugly head. I'm not giving up. I'm still looking for suggestions on something I can do at home. And, it still may be in the medical field.
Thanks again.
Joanna

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Julia48446 in Lapeer, Michigan

70 months ago

I used to work for a home-based medical billing company. It takes a lot of self marketing. You have to know what the going rate is to charge potential clients, i.e. what percentage to charge. Decide what field you want to concentrate in (doctor's specialty, ambulance, physical therapy, ect.) Learn what the insurances require in order for them to pay (most follow Medicare's guidelines). Well, to say the least, there's a lot that goes into starting your own medical billing company. Good luck to you though!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.