Trying to find a job in todays market

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

Ruth in Roanoke, Virginia

57 months ago

Hello, I have been trying to find a job in the medical billing field for a few months now. I have 12 years experience, and have applied for serval jobs that were posted online. My thing is if I had the experience that the employer was looking for and they called me for an interview, then why do I still see so many of the jobs still posted. Everyone needs a job or they wouldnt be putting in for them, also everyone is capable of being trained the way the company wants the job done. So why does it take the employer so long to make a decision on who they would like to hire. If people need a job and the employers are looking for someone, then the two should go hand in hand.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

TheInterviewDude in Seattle

57 months ago

In an ideal world, that's exactly how it would play out. Alas, we live in an imperfect world with irrational human beings. There is one thing about the Employer's decision making process that is important to understand: NOT ALL JOB SEEKERS ARE CREATED EQUAL.

The reason why employers take so damn long to choose someone to hire is because hiring someone is a BIG decision and their are ALOT of bad apples out there. I mean think about it, what if you hired someone who was a smooth talker during the interview but a total "lazy-bum" when it comes to getting things done in the office? Now imagine if you were that hiring manager... how long do you suppose you'd be able to hold onto your job in this economy?

Did you know the average cost of a mis-hire is 14 TIMES their annual salary?! Well it is...

Bottom line is this: Employers have to do ALOT of analysis and screening in order to find the "right fit" for their company not b/c they enjoy making you squirm, but because it serves their own best interests (ie job security) not to "jump in" and hire just anyone that comes in through their doors.

So what can you do to make getting hired EASIER and FASTER on yourself? My opinion: If you have 12 years of experience, I would first LEARN how to market yourself better to employers... Most likely you're just as capable, if not more capable as anyone else out there... so your experience is not the thing thats on trial here... What's on trial is your ability to make yourself PERCEIVED to have MORE VALUE than your competitors...If you'd like to learn more about this, hit reply and I can go over it with you in more detail.

Happy hunting!

Ruth in Roanoke, Virginia

57 months ago

Thank you for your input... Did not know all the stats.... I will be the first to admit I dont do well in interviews, I go in knowing that I can do the job but selling myself to the people doing the interview is another thing.... Have any pointers? And I agree with everything you said.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.